Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231920 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
The End by etherian

Dudley and Vernon Dursley sat in the Weasley kitchen feeling a bit dazed after their first trip through the Floo. Although introductions had been made, the two Muggles knew that they'd be forgetting half the names and would have to ask again.

Arthur, who still had a weakness for the Muggle world, was delighted by their presence and was talking Vernon's ear off with questions about the Muggle world. Dudley was feeling distinctly uncomfortable as he was being stared at by the Weasley twins and their brother Ron. The stares made him feel like he was under some silent analysis between the three brothers. He knew there were going to be questions for him, unpleasant ones, and Dudley swallowed dryly as Ron spoke first.

"Did you think up 'Harry Hunting'?" The question was snide and stung Dudley to the quick. He found it impossible to answer the young wizard.

If Arthur had been paying attention to his sons, he would have diplomatically intervened, but he was too caught up with his interview of Vernon. It was Severus, though, who rested a hand upon Dudley's shoulder and the other hand on Ron's. His gaze, solemn and sharp, was for the three male Weasleys that had known Potter the best.

"People change," he intoned, his voice laced with warning. His dark-eyed gaze conveyed the rest of his unspoken chastisement and it was the twins who understood the message. Ron had not.

"That great lump..." Ron had his finger pointed and his anger was fast coming to a boil.

"Mr. Weasley!" Although Severus had not raised his voice, it was the voice of silken menace that had terrorised so many students in the man's 15 years of teaching. Ron's cheeks flushed to match the colour of his hair.

When Severus' spoke, all those in the kitchen became eerily silent. Dudley felt like he wished he could disappear the way a magical person did. Vernon's protective instinct as Dudley's father caused the man to stiffen his posture. He hoped he was not going to need to fight anyone. Magic or no, Vernon would defend his son.

Severus continued after he'd gotten everyone's attention, "The past is done with and has been forgiven." He gave his nephew's shoulder a firm, but gentle squeeze. Dudley breathed a sigh of relief that sparked off all the normal conversations again. A quick scowl to Ron Weasley was the last warning he would get from the Potions Master for the younger man to behave.

A lovely strawberry blonde haired woman, who bore a similar look to Molly, put some coffee in front of Vernon, and a pumkin juice in front of Dudley. She smiled indulgently. This was Madison Prewett, Molly Weasley's cousin. She leaned over and kissed Vernon's cheek which elicited a cherry red blush as Vernon realised there were a lot of people watching him.

"Vernon really wanted to drive here," explained Madison with a grin but that would have taken precious time from our vacation. Besides, I haven't Floo'd in ages and thought it would be fun."

Molly hugged her cousin. "Either way you're here and we're all going to have a great deal of fun."

"Fun!" grinned Fred. "That's what is needed."

George grinned as well. "Snowball fight, anyone?"

"Me! Me!" Harry jumped up and down beside his father until a restraining hand took the bounce out of him. "Dad! Will you be on my team?"

Severus paled slightly. He didn't mind if Harry wanted to get chilled by a snowball fight, but he didn't particularly wish to get that close to snow.

Arthur spoke before Severus did. "I think a snowball fight is just what we need. Charlie? Bill?"

The two eldest Weasleys chimed in, "We're in!"

Fleur glanced at the women in the Burrow. "A snowball fight? That is so undignified."

Ginny glared at Fleur. "I'm going to play."

"Me too!" smiled Hermione. "And so will Draco."

"Hey! I don't want to go outside! It's freezing!" protested Draco as he heard Hermione volunteer him for the snowball fight.

Severus leaned down towards Draco and said with a knowing smirk, "Get used to it, Draco. Women always know best."

Draco grumbled something inaudible under his breath. Echo caught Severus by the hand, and having heard the little whisper from her husband to her godson, she grinned wickedly, "I'll be on any team Severus isn't on!"

It was Severus turn to scowl and grumble inaudibly. His and Draco's feeble protests were ignored and before they could do anything else, teams were chosen, the rules were set down (anything goes) and the fight was on!

Minerva and Albus each directed a team. Minerva had Fred, Ron, Echo, Harry (he changed his mind about being on his father's team because he wanted to throw snowballs at Severus), Ginny, Sarah, Vernon, and Remus on her team. Albus had Severus, Draco, Charlie, Bill, Fleur, Jared, Dudley, Madison, and Percy on his team. Molly and Arthur stayed inside, ready for when the fight would be over.

The forts, which were two foot walls of frozen snow, were built first. Once the forts were finished, each side had a few minutes to make a big heap of snowballs. To begin the fight, each side allowed the youngest member to throw the first snowball. Jared picked up a snowball for his team and Harry hefted a snowball for his team. The snowballs went flying, and in that second, the cheating began.

Severus used his wand to deflect Harry's snowball towards his mother. Remus countered the cheating by directing Jared's snowball directly back to it's team.

From that moment on, everyone was throwing snowballs with no thought to aim, but just to land on someone. It was Dudley and Vernon Dursley that proved to have the best throwing arms, and most of their snowballs hit their intended targets.

The fight became harder when Minerva and Albus, sitting on the sidelines, began to influence the snowballs.

A tactical maneuver on Fred and George's part, with Echo to help with her wandless magic, sent a wave of snowballs to attack Severus.

Severus rallied his teammates together and sent a whirlwind of snow at their opponents. Echo threw up a magnificent shield that prevented the whirlwind from touching them. Echo's team were ready with more snowballs that the twins had charmed into a variety of colours. The beautiful snowballs exploded spectacularly just a few feet short of their targets as Remus threw up a shield that blocked the snowballs.

In the end, there was no real clear winner since everyone, children and adults, were soaked to the skin and chilled.

Arthur greeted everyone with drying spells and Hot Rum Toddies (no alcohol in the ones for the youngsters). Molly cast warming spells and everyone assembled in the living room.

"Miss Molly?" shouted Harry from the living room. "Do we get to open presents now?" Harry tried to pretend that he didn't see the warning scowl from his father for having yelled. He grinned cheekily and Severus just rolled his eyes.

Molly walked into the living room, ushering in the last stragglers from the snowball fight. She patted Harry on the head and smiled. "I think we'll get started now, Harry, dear. That way we'll all have a good appetite for the Christmas feast."

"Yay!" bounced Harry. His cheers were followed by wide grins from the newest set of twins in the Weasley family, Percy's adopted son and daughter, Sarah and Jared. Percy sat down on the floor and waved his children to come over and join him. Sarah sat on his left and Jared on the right. Their eyes sparkled with anticipation as they stared hungrily at the glittering tree and its overloaded burden of gifts.

The living room of the Burrow was soon a whirlwind of presents floating to their new owners, ripping sounds of foil and paper and tissue, ribbons drifting in and out of the noise of 'oohs' and 'aahs'. Soon the gaily lit Christmas tree was looking bereft of all its pretty packages. In the middle of the floor were Fred and George, Sarah and Jared, and Harry and Draco as they set up a small replica of the Hogwarts Express.

"No, Harry," corrected Sarah as she took a piece of railroad track out of his hands. "It goes here." She placed the track and smiled smugly.

Harry grabbed the piece of track back and put it where he was going to place it before Sarah took it from him.

"No!" cried Sarah indignantly.

"Don't touch it!" ordered Harry as he slapped his hand down on the coveted piece of track.

Sarah suddenly pushed Harry in the chest with both hands. Harry didn't fall, but he was unbalanced. Harry retaliated with his fist. His knuckles grazed Sarah's cheek enough to cause a red mark that would bruise. The expected tears didn't arrive. Instead, Sarah launched herself at Harry and began punching, kicking, and even trying to bite him.

Draco stood up from the floor and grabbed Sarah by her waist and lifted her off of Harry. George restrained Harry and began looking for any bruises, cuts or bitemarks.

"Stop fighting, you two," reprimanded Draco firmly before any of the adults could intervene. He was keenly watched by Hermione who peered over the edge of her cup of tea with a slight smile.

"But it's my piece of track," whinged Harry.

"It's not sposed to go there!" shouted Sarah. She tried to pull away from Draco so she could hit Harry some more, but Draco had her in a firm grip.

"Sarah! Take that corner, now! Ten minutes." Draco put the girl down and nudged her over to the empty corner on the other side of the sofa.

Sarah glanced over at Percy. He clearly disapproved of the small fight and would not intervene on his daughter's behalf. With a sulky pout, the little girl flounced over to the corner. She had one more parting shot for Harry, and that was to stick her tongue out at him.

Harry returned the stuck out tongue, but let out a startled yelp as Draco's hand connected sharply with his backside. A second swat had him staring at his older brother with a look of near betrayal.

Draco shook a finger at his little brother. "Don't you ever hit a girl, Harry. Take that corner. Ten minutes for you, as well."

"You're mean!" protested Harry.

Draco pointed imperiously, "Corner. Now!"

Harry slowly walked over to the corner, his lower lip firmly stuck out in a wounded pout. Before he turned away he chanced a glance towards his father. Severus was watching and caught his son's look. His expression was plain to Harry; he agreed with Draco's punishment, including the swats. Harry took the corner he had earlier.

Draco gave each child a final warning scowl that was every bit as good as his godfather's best scowls. Severus caught the look and managed a small, proud smile.

With a sigh, more for himself, he sauntered over to Hermione and sat beside her. "Harry's probably going to hate me now."

Hermione smiled. "He won't. You did the right thing." The Gryffindor was very proud of her Slytherin.

"Think I'll make a good father, then?" he asked with a slightly wicked glint to his grey eyes.

"You'll be the best father ever, love!"

Vernon, with Madison sitting on the low slung sofa to his left, leaned slightly towards Severus. "You knew this, Snape," Vernon accused with a crinkly-eyed grin. "Couldn't warn me about Maddy's family, could you?"

Severus smirked, "I wouldn't have missed your reaction for the world, Dursley."

"You have to admit, Vernon," said Madison with a wicked smile on her face, "when you saw everyone you were ready to run right back into the flames."

Vernon snorted, "Only for a brief moment was I tempted, dear." He smiled and slipped Madison's hand into his.

Echo, who had been listening to the various conversations going on around her, asked Madison, "You're a teacher? In Muggle London?"

Madison nodded. "I teach Algebra at Dudley's school. You're wondering why a witch is living with Muggles?"

Echo smiled apologetically. "I had wondered. I lived for awhile amongst Muggles in America, but I lived in a town shared by Muggles and Wizards."

"I was born and raised around magic. Curiosity drew me to the Muggle world, especially since Voldemort was so against Muggles. I couldn't help but wonder what was wrong with them. So, I spent a year in Muggle London and just found a more rewarding life with Muggles," replied Madison with a slight shrug. She squeezed Vernon's hand and nudged him affectionately with her shoulder.

"Do you miss magic at all?" asked Echo.

"Oh, I do keep my hand in so I don't get rusty," replied Madison. "Despite most of my family shunning me for my decision, I haven't regretted it one bit."

"Molly seems very accepting of your decision," surmised Echo.

"Family means a lot to Molly. She didn't understand, at first, but she never turned her back on me." Madison suddenly grinned at Vernon. "That's why I just had to bring Vernon and Dudley with me."

Echo's eyes sparkled mischievously at Vernon and Madison, "Are there going to be wedding bells in your future?"

Madison blushed as she glanced over at Vernon. Vernon replied, "We're just taking things slowly." He glanced towards Dudley who was seated on the floor amidst all the destroyed wrapping paper and ribbons. Harry, who had finished his time out and tired of the train and bossy Sarah, was busy doing his best to bury his cousin in the shiny remnants. "Dud's still dealing with the loss of his mother in our lives. It's gotten a bit rougher due to the fact Petunia's not accepting visits from him."

"That's terrible," gasped Echo. "How could she do that to her own son?"

Vernon continued, his voice sounding somewhat hollow, "For some inexplicable reason, Petunia has blamed Dud for our divorce."

Severus, who had been listening quietly as he watched his son's antics with his cousin, asked, "Does Petunia still believe that Harry is..." he didn't want to say it aloud, but Vernon understood.

Since being institutionalized, Petunia Dursley had made a big fuss over having killed Harry and burying the body in the backyard of #4 Privet Drive. Her firm belief had brought about an inspection of the property until Vernon sent a note to Severus. The potions master took one afternoon to bring the supposed murder victim to the Muggle authorities.

Vernon shook his head. "According to her doctor, she doesn't speak of Harry any longer, but now her anger is towards my boy. It's been hard on Dud, but he's been very accepting of Madison, so I think that helps him." He squeezed Madison's hand affectionately, which earned him a chaste kiss to his cheek. Vernon then pulled himself away from the melancholy topic of his ex-wife and smiled, "Dud enjoys the letters that Harry sends him. I think he's hoping for his own owl for his birthday."

There came a happy squeal from Harry as his cousin attacked him from the pile of wrapping paper and began tickling the little boy's ribs. Shouts came from Fred and George as Harry and Dudley's antics destroyed a part of the railroad snaked all over the living room floor. Harry retaliated by tickling Fred, who was nearest him. There was a sudden tickle free-for-all between Dudley, Harry, Fred, George, and Jared. Draco would have been caught in the pile-up, but he scrambled quickly out of the way. Sarah was nowhere near the childish tickling as she was in the kitchen with her new grandmother, Molly, helping to set the table.

A few minutes later, Molly stepped in the midst of the fray to announce that it was time to eat. She sent the children, including Hermione and Draco, up the stairs to wash their hands. The stairs that spiraled up to the various teetering floors of the Burrow were assaulted by at least a dozen feet thumping on the stairs. Minutes later, more thunder declared their return.

As soon as everyone was seated Molly waved her wand and the many platters and dishes of food began a strange little hovering dance so everyone could easily serve themselves. Glasses had been charmed to fill themselves with whatever beverage was desired.

Once everyone was served there was quiet, except for audible sounds of appreciation over the perfect feast. During that time, Harry tried to hide his broccoli under his mashed potatoes, but Severus caught him, and dug out the potatoes-covered broccoli.

"I expect all those vegetables to be eaten by you, young man," Severus spoke softly as he leaned slightly towards his son. "Or there will be no pudding."

Harry crammed the broccoli into his mouth and took a big swallow of his pumpkin juice. "Bleh!" He grimaced as he took a few forkfuls of mashed potatoes. When the strange taste of broccoli and pumpkin juice had faded, Harry grinned triumphantly up at his father.

"Don't be so smug, child," teased Severus, "or you'll find more broccoli on your plate."

Harry huffed lightly and worked on finishing everything else on his plate. Sarah leaned towards Harry and spoke haughtily, "Kids who don't eat their veggies will lose all their teeth and their bones will turn to rubber."

"You're stupid!" snarled Harry. He really disliked Sarah. It was too bad that she wasn't more fun like her brother Jared.

"You're rude!" snapped Sarah.

"Am not!" countered Harry.

"Are too!" Sarah shot back.

"Am no...!" Harry gulped as his father laid a warning hand heavily upon his shoulder. Severus was standing between the two arguing children.

"I can promise you, children, that the next time you stand in the corners will be because neither of you can sit down," Severus threatened in his best silken professor's voice. "Am I understood?"

Sarah, who had never known how scary Professor Snape could become, whimpered uneasily, slipped from her chair, and went over to Percy for protection.

"You wouldn't let him spank me, would you?" Sarah whispered tremulously.

Percy fixed one of the ribbons that held her hair back and replied, "You know that I do not like you picking fights with people, Sarah. If you keep misbehaving, I have no problem letting Professor Snape giving you a few swats."

Sarah pouted angrily. "You're mean," she declared without any rancor.

"I know, but I love you anyway." Percy kissed his daughter's forehead and then nudged her back to her place at the table.

The dessert was a devastatingly decadent white chocolate cheesecake that had ribbons of raspberry and blackberry swirled through it. Harry and Jared had finished their slices of cheesecake and began playing, quietly, on the floor with a miniature Quidditch Pitch with players that flew over the small field. Sarah was half asleep in front of Molly getting her hair braided.

"How do you like being a father, Percy?" asked Echo as she smiled at the twins.

Percy sipped from his glass of wine. "I've always wanted kids. I didn't expect to ever adopt, but when I learned how many magical orphans there are since the end of the war, I just felt compelled to do so."

Ginny nudged Percy's shoulder, "And you fell in love with those two, didn't you?"

Percy's cheeks coloured slightly. Echo inquired, "How did you find them?"

Percy leaned back in the chair he was seated in. "I was doing an inspection of several of the orphanages that we have because there were reports of neglect and abuse connected with one. Fortunately, Sarah and Jared weren't in the one orphanage that the Ministry shut down after I made my reports." He watched as Molly picked up little Sarah, who was now completely asleep with a thumb in her mouth. Percy, who was sitting beside his mother on the sagging sofa leaned over and gently tugged Sarah's hand away from her mouth.

He continued his story, "It happened that while I was there doing an inspection a social worker from the Department of Wizarding Childrens Service brought them in. The assistant for the orphanage explained to me that siblings, when they were adopted, often were split up. Rarely did anyone wish to adopt more than one child." Percy was interrupted by Jared coming over and climbing up onto his father's lap. Percy shifted the little boy until he was secure in his arms, and then he smiled as he kissed the child's head. Soon Jared was as fast asleep in Percy's arms as Sarah was in her grandmother's arms.

Not too long after, Harry had demanded his father share his lap. He tried to stay awake as Remus Lupin and his father discussed the Wolfsbane Potion and the Symptom Relieving Elixir. It wasn't long before he was yawning and became limp with deep sleep.

The party ended, then.

Echo gathered all of the gifts they had been given, shrank them, and then tucked them into a pocket of her cloak. Severus shifted Harry carefully. In his sleep, Harry grasped the collar of his father's cloak and nestled his head underneath Severus' chin.

The Snapes made their farewells and after almost twenty minutes of delays and goodbyes, Echo and Severus vanished through the Floo.

Once home at Fairwinds Severus put Harry to bed while Echo took several wrapped gifts that had been hidden from their son and placed them under their tree. Dobby popped into the living room, greeted Echo, and then held out an armful of small, wrapped gifts. He was so giddy with holiday cheer (or eggnog) that he was bouncing back and forth on his large feet.

"Little Harry will be surprised, Madame," he tucked some of the packages he held into a large, red stocking that hung from the mantle. The stocking was for Harry.

"Dobby, I know you refused to join us for breakfast tomorrow, but you must join us when we open gifts after breakfast."

"Oh yes, Madame! Dobby wishes to see Little Harry's smiles."

"Good, Dobby," smiled Echo. "You can retire for the evening then."

"Yes, Missy Madame! You sleep well." Dobby waved and popped out of the living room. Once the house elf was gone, Echo summoned a stocking that had Dobby's name on it in glitter. Harry had decorated it at school for 'his friend'. Echo filled the stocking with the knitting notions she had purchased in Diagon Alley, some shiny ornaments from Severus, and a handful of red and green wrapped candies that Harry had purchased for everyone.

"Harry's asleep," Severus spoke softly as he descended the stairs into the living room.

Echo walked over to her husband and slipped an arm around his waist. "I think after we tell Harry our news, he's going to forget about all those presents."

Severus placed a possessive palm over Echo's abdomen. In her ninth week, a very slight bump could be felt. "We'll save this gift for last."


Harry awoke the next morning with the rising of the sun. There was a big grin on his face in hopes that Santa Claus had really visited. He jumped out of bed and ran into his bathroom. Hector followed his boy and watched patiently as Harry used the loo, then brushed his teeth. After that, Harry put on his slippers and dressing gown and ran across the hall to his parents bedroom.

Severus and Echo, both deeply asleep, were shocked out of pleasant dreams by both an excited little boy, and a too large dog jumping up onto the bed. Severus just barely escaped getting rudely trod upon by the dog.

"C'mon Mum and Dad! It's Christmas!"

Echo tried to capture her son, but he dodged, jumped off the bed, and raced out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

"Harry, don't ru...!" Severus didn't shout soon enough. There was a sharp thud from the hallway followed by agonised sobs. Severus shot out of bed and out of the bedroom into the hallway.

His son had tripped over one of Hector's chew toys and fell, hard. There was a runner carpet down the center of the hallway, but it was a thin carpet over a highly polished wood floor. Severus knelt down by Harry, who was clutching his knee and crying shakily.

"I f-f-fell!" he cried simply as his father carefully rolled up the pyjama pants leg to examine the injured knee.

"So I see," Severus said softly as he moved Harry's protective hands and studied the knee. He could tell that Harry had landed on it hard, and it would bruise. He summoned Bruise Salve just as Echo emerged from their bedroom.

"Ow!" muttered Harry as Severus began to gently massage the salve over the injury.

"Do you see why we don't want you running in the house, child?" asked Severus as he finished with the salve and put the lid on it.

"But, it's Christmas, Dad," sniffled Harry.

Echo conjured a handkerchief for her son and handed it to him. Harry wiped his tears and then his nose. Severus rolled down the pants leg and then helped his son to stand.

"How does it feel?" asked Severus.

"It's okay, now," sighed Harry. "I didn't mean to run, Dad. I just got excited." Harry just now remembered last night's accident with the spilled ink right before his mother and he went to the Burrow. He'd been spanked. That meant his father was going to spank him and Harry could only think about how horrible it would be to get smacked on Christmas Day. The tears came back and Harry clutched his father, burying his face against Severus' side.

"I thought you said it felt better," Severus said as he patted Harry's back. He was puzzled by the new tears.

"You're gonna... sp-spank me and th-that's terrible for Christmas!" stammered Harry.

"I think a bruised knee will be punishment enough for today, Harry. I will have you assist me in preparing potion ingredients tomorrow, all right?"

Harry sniffled and then looked up at his father, "Okay." He smiled then, pleased to have escaped a spanking. He followed his parents down the stairs where they were met by Dobby.

"Merry Christmas, Family!" Dobby bounced on his feet and clapped his hands cheerfully. "Dobby fix big, special breakfast. Everyone's favourites!"

"Chocolate chip pancakes?" asked Harry eagerly.

"Yes! Yes!" Dobby hugged Harry quickly and his grin managed to get wider. "Madame gets French toast with blueberries and over easy eggs, and Sir gets eggs Benedict with savory sausage and lots of coffee!"

Dobby ushered his beloved family into the dining room where he set about serving each family member. Not once did his grin fade.


Harry slouched languidly in his chair at the dining table. He felt pleasantly full from his stack of chocolate chip pancakes. The offending sugar was slightly offset by a bowl of melon balls and several sausage links. Despite that, Severus glanced over his newspaper every few minutes in wary anticipation of the inevitable sugar high that would hit his son.

The inevitable did appear and after a few minutes lolling in his chair, Harry jumped up and walked, very fast, into the living room. Severus folded up his newspaper, finished his coffee, and then looked over at his wife. She smiled, rose from her chair, and extended her hand to her husband. Together they made their way leisurely into the living room.

Harry and Dobby both sat together on the edge of the sofa. Both had equally wide grins, and both looked ready to bounce out of their skins in excitement. Severus and Echo took the settee.

"Are you ready?" asked Severus with a smirk.

"Yeah!"

"Yes, Sir!" echoed Dobby.

Severus began with the heavily laden stockings tacked to the mantle. One red stocking floated over to Harry, the other floated to Dobby.

"I made that for you, Dobby," Harry said.

Dobby sniffled happily. "Little Harry is so good to Dobby. Thank you!" Dobby pulled out skeins of yarn, knitting needles, seven shiny ornaments, and candy. "Is Dobby allowed to eat candy, Sir?" he asked.

Severus nodded. "Of course, Dobby. Enjoy."

Dobby's head bobbled as he opened a green, foil-wrapped candy. He popped the caramel into his mouth and then clapped his hands.

Gifts that Dobby bought for his family floated from beneath the tree and over to their recipients. He watched avidly as they opened their gifts.

Severus gasped when he saw what Dobby had given him. There were six, slim phials of very rare potions ingredients. They were Crocodile Tears, Vacquita Scales, Encephalartos Woodii Leaf Pulp, dried Wild Dagga, Tamaraw Horn Powder, and dried Sacred Blue Lily. He couldn't help but to ask the house elf where he'd gotten such rare ingredients.

"Dobby is savvy house elf that knows many other house elfs who help to gather ingredients. Does Sir appreciate gift?" Dobby began to wring his hands worriedly.

"I do, Dobby. Very much. Thank you," He placed the phials back into the velvet lined box the ingredients had come in.

Echo opened her gift to find a set of silver needles that had been charmed so that they were self-threading. With the needles were a dozen small skeins of coloured, silk thread.

"Thank you so much, Dobby! They're perfect."

Dobby's cheeks pinked up in a pleased blush. He then watched as Harry opened his gift. The little boy hefted the wrapped box first, and noted how heavy it felt. He then ripped the paper off with abandon. Under the paper was a box encased in dark red-dyed leather. Copper rivets adorned the edges until they left only space for the copper latch. Smiling quickly at Dobby, he then unlatched the lid and carefully pushed it up to open it.

"Ohhhhhh," Harry let out a whispered gasp as he looked down upon a round, faceted piece of quartz. Harry took out the bauble and held it to the light coming in through the windows. The crazy cracks and spidery flaws within the quartz caught the sunlight, twisted and bent it, until a chaos of soft rainbow colours danced over the walls, the carpet, and every object in the living room.

"If you taps it three times, Little Harry, it floats," encouraged Dobby as he nervously wrung his hands.

Harry did so and the crystal lifted from the palm of his hand to float within the sunlight coming through the windows. "Wicked! Thank you so much, Dobby!" He slung his arms around the thin elf and hugged him so hard, Dobby let out a little squeak.

Dobby patted the boy's back until Harry let go. His eyes glimmered brightly with love and affection for his family.


Severus dealt with the last of the torn paper and ribbons from their gifts while Echo was nestled on the sofa with Harry curled at her side. She was reading to him from the book Treasure Island that Hermione had given him.

Echo paused in the reading as Severus settled down on the other side of his son. Harry looked up at his father and smiled.

"This was a real fun day, wasn't it, Dad?" exclaimed Harry.

"Indeed it was, but..." Severus paused and glanced quickly at Echo who nodded once to him. "I think there's one more present."

Harry looked curiously at the tree, but could see no sign of any presents that were forgotten. "I don't see any, Dad."

"That's because this is a gift you can't unwrap, Harry," said his mother with a delicate, yet slightly mirthful smile.

Harry's brows beetled into a puzzled frown. Severus picked up his son's hand and laid it over the barely perceptible bump of Echo's abdomen. His own hand splayed over Harry's. Echo draped both her hands over theirs.

"What is it?" Harry's whisper suggested that he was thinking he might know what the gift was, but he really wanted his parents to tell him what the mystery was.

"Around the end of June," began Severus.

"You're going to become a big brother," finished Echo.

Harry stared in wonder at their hands and then he looked up at both parents. "Really? You're going to have a baby, mum?"

"That I am, Harry, dear," replied Echo.

"Have you decided if you're going to have a boy or a girl? I mean, either's okay by me. Can I name the baby? How long do we have to wait? Are you going to be big soon?" Harry's questions were such a rapid fire, that his parents couldn't understand all of them.

Severus did his best to answer his son's questions, "We don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl and probably will not know until he or she is ready to be born."

"And you may certainly help with a name, sweetheart," affirmed Echo as she kissed her son's head. "But think up names for both girl and boy."

"Okay!" Harry removed his hand and stared down happily at his mother's belly. He then spoke softly, "Hi there, baby. I'm you're big brother."

The End.
End Notes:
Vacquita - smallest known cetacean in the world.
Encephalartos Woodii - an extremely rare type of cycad.
Wild Dagga - very rare herb known to cause euphoria.
Tamaraw Horn - aka as the Dwarf Buffalo.
Sacred Blue Lily - a rare herb that produces clarity of the mind.
Crocodile Tears - crocs really do have tears.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497