He Listened by watercrystals
Summary: As far as Harry knew, it was all some sort of experiment that only Dumbledore could understand. He had no idea that the cat he had been given to keep him company instead of Hedwig over the holidays before his 3rd year, was in fact, his hated Potions Master in disguise.

Because of the Azkaban escapee, Sirius Black, Severus is sent to stay with Harry during the entire summer, never making a sound nor leaving the boy's side. He could not speak, nor could he defend Harry against anyone other than the criminal on the loose, however Severus does something that no other adult in Harry's life had done before...he listened.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Other, Petunia, Sirius, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Creature!fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 14959 Read: 29164 Published: 04 Apr 2011 Updated: 14 Feb 2012
Story Notes:

Unlike many (if not all) of my other non-oneshot fics on here, this one is not going to be too long. Perhaps 5-10 chapters at most. This idea came to me and I have always wanted to to a creature one, and therefore it demanded to be written.

1. The Journey Begins by watercrystals

2. Observations by watercrystals

3. A Cold Night in July by watercrystals

4. A Not-So-Cheerful Birthday by watercrystals

The Journey Begins by watercrystals
'But what about my owl, sir?' Harry stared at Dumbledore as they pair stood in the Headmaster's office, facing each other from opposite sides of the desk. He had just been asked to help Dumbledore with a rather interesting experiment in which would require him to look after a stray, magical cat for the duration of his summer. It was a rather odd request, although Harry felt proud when the headmaster explained how he trusted no one else with such a task.

'Hedwig will not be joining you at Privet Drive.' Dumbledore shook his head. 'Cats and owls are natural enemies, you understand. Perhaps it would be best for her to remain at Hogwarts until you return?'

Harry's shoulders slumped at this news and he wasn't sure if a cat would be any better than having his familiar around. He knew Hedwig and was rather attached to her presence, especially at Privet Drive when she had been his only friend. Although, if she stayed at Hogwarts than at least uncle Vernon wouldn't complain about the noise she made when she was hungry or longed to stretch her wings rather than being cramped in that cage. With that in mind, Harry reluctantly nodded his head while releasing a sad sigh of acceptance.

'I would not have asked this of anyone else, Harry.' Dumbledore added with a small smile marking his features.

'I am certain that in a matter of days you may even come to find peace in the company of this cat.'

'Does it have a name, sir?' Harry wondered.

'No, I'm afraid we haven't had the time to give him one.' Dumbledore chuckled. 'Perhaps you could do the honors?'

'Okay.' Harry instantly started thinking of possible names but none seemed to fit because he hadn't even see the cat yet. It was like picking “ginger” only to find that the creature was white. He'd have to wait until he met the cat before he picked the perfect name for it.

'Now remember the rules, Harry.' Dumbledore's tone gained an extra level of sternness about it.

'This cat cannot leave your side other than when you use the bathroom; he will wait patiently outside the door when this exception occurs. The cat has special food, although you may share occasional scraps with him if you like, nothing too sugary though as it might make him sick. He requires plenty of water and you needn't worry about getting a kitty litter as such a magical cat does not require one. I will leave that up to your imagination.' Dumbledore nodded as Harry frowned, trying to work out how that was possible but supposed it had something to do with magic.

'He is not an overly friendly cat, being a stray, although he will hopefully warm up to you over time. Please do not get offended if he doesn't. It may simply be in his nature.'

'Yes, sir.' Harry nodded with understanding and made sure to memorized these facts as he had never had a cat before, although he had picked up on a few things from all the time he had spent with Mrs Figg.

The door to the office opened and McGonagall walked in with a somewhat agitated frown on her face. Trailing behind her was the animal in question. The cat had a short-haired, black coat and deep brown eyes. His appearance was that simple, and yet it was the way it walked in which had caused Harry's gaze to linger a moment longer; the cat looked to be very dignified and somewhat annoyed although the boy hadn't realize that animals were capable of demonstrating such strong expressions and posture.

'Is he ready?' Dumbledore asked McGonagall.

'Oh, yes.' She scowed. 'As ready as he'll ever be.'

Harry wondered why McGonagall was in such a bad mood with the cat, being an animagus whose form was a tabby cat, he'd have thought she'd be rather fond of the species. Or maybe this one in particular was not to her liking?

'Is it...wild?' Harry wondered a little nervously. Stray cats meant they had no owner, right? Didn't that mean it wasn't trained and could react rather viciously?

'No, no, he is very well behaved and accustomed to being around almost any sort of being.' Dumbledore smiled at the cat, who almost appeared to be glaring back at him.

'Nevertheless, I expect you to treat him with respect, Harry.'

'Yes, sir.' Harry answered again.

'You best be going, Harry.' Dumbledore added. 'Lest you miss the train.'

'Yes, sir...thank you, sir.' Harry hurried towards the door where his trunk was waiting for him as he had been called to the office right from his dormitory by an urgent owl from Dumbledore, telling him to do so. Grasping the handle, he turned and glanced at the cat in which would be joining him for his journey.

'Erm, come?'He wasn't sure if the cat understood him well enough although Dumbledore had told him it knew human speech. The cat narrowed its eyes at the command and with an annoyed flick of its tail, he followed after the twelve-year-old Gryffindor.

Watching them leave, McGonagall turned to Dumbledore with a worried frown upon her face. 'Are you sure about this, Albus?' She wondered. 'Considering their history, I mean.'

'You needn't worry, Minerva.' Dumbledore smiled. 'I'm positive that both Severus and Harry shall be fine.'

'Severus was not at all pleased with your forced request.' She recalled with a scowl. 'It took me two hours to correctly transfigure him and apply all the spells!'

'All of them?' Dumbledore glanced at her with a serious expression.

'Yes, yes...all of them.' She waved her hand dismissively. 'I made sure he would be silent, invisible when...well, relieving himself and that any mess left behind would be vanished – this was the only way we were able to make him agree to the arrangement anyway – and I ensured that he could not scratch anyone or act in an otherwise threatening manner. The protection charms are also in place, as they had to be.' She verbally ticked off the list.

'And of course, Severus would be alerted to any danger regarding the boy or the failure of any wards.'

A silence fell over the room as Dumbledore nodded and thought about his plan, until something occurred to him and he instantly stared at McGonagall.

'Ah, but Minerva, I believe you have forgotten one final aspect.'

'What is it?' She wondered with concern. 'I put in placed the spells you instructed me to, with the additional ones to prevent his temper from coming out as well as taking away the effectiveness of his claws. What else could there be?' McGonagall stressed.

'And what of biting?' Dumbledore smiled. 'Severus can be very creative when need be. He cannot scratch, no, but can he bite?'

McGonagall merely gasped and clasped her hand over her mouth with the realization that even in her efforts to keep Harry safe as well as prevent Severus from lashing out in the irritation he would no doubt feel for the boy, she had accidentally left him with a evidentially feline weapon.

Oops.


'There you are!' Ron exhaled as he spotted Harry approaching him after they'd put their luggage on board the train.

'Who's the cat?' He stared down at the black creature keeping close to Harry's side where the creature glared at anyone who dared to nearly step on him.

'I'll explain in a minute.' Harry replied as everyone began to rush about the train, which was due to depart the station in five minutes. He said his goodbyes to Hagrid and a few others before he joined his redhead friend and Hermione in their search for a compartment.

They found one halfway along the train and quickly ducked inside. Hermione waited for the cat to follow Harry and jump onto the seat beside him, before she shut the door and turned to her friend for an explanation.

And while Harry explained the situation to his friends, the cat curled up beside him and scowled. Severus Snape spent the majority of the first hour attempting to rest as the transfiguration had taken up a bit of his own magic.

He had zero interest in what the annoying Gryffindors were discussing; it was bad enough he was forced to be anywhere near them, surely he was under no obligation to pay any attention to them? Not until they entered the muggle world, anyway; by then Granger and Weasley would be gone, thank Merlin.

Severus stretched and turned to glance outside the window of the moving train. It seemed as though he had slept a great deal longer than he'd intended and there was less than an hour until they would be arriving at their destination. Turning to look at the three Gryffindors, he realized that they had apparently ordered every possible option from the sweets trolley and were halfway through eating it all. Finding the display to be disgusting, Severus sat upright and glared elsewhere else, although his ears now paid closer attention to what was being said.

Honestly, how he got himself into these torturous tasks was beyond him.

'Aren't black cats meant to bring bad luck?' Ron mumbled through a bite of his chocolate frog.

Only to me, it would seem. Severus snorted although he made no sound; he really had no idea why both McGonagall and Dumbledore insisted that he be entirely mute while he was a cat, it wasn't as though he'd be able to talk anyway. And he was a spy, he knew how to be discreet and unnoticeable.

'Not necessarily.' Hermione added. 'It's mostly just a lot of silly superstition.'

'I hope so.' Harry smirked at her. 'Because I've got to spend all summer with it.'

'Yeah.' Ron laughed. 'Otherwise you're doomed!'

'Have you thought of what you're going to call him, yet?' Hermione wondered as she rolled her eyes at the boy's joke.

Don't remind him, you silly girl!

'Nah, I think I'll wait until I get to know him a little more.' Harry shrugged. 'I mean, I don't get to keep him but if I give him any name I've still got to put up with it for the whole summer.'

You've got to put up with it?! Well, excuse me, Potter, but I can hardly see how that could be so bloody terrible for YOU. It is not you who has to wear whatever ridiculous title you come up with. Merlin, grant me the strength survive this summer!

'It's just a cat.' Ron shrugged.

'I think Scabbers disagrees.' Harry grinned at the rat who was only noticeable by the shaking lump in Ron's jacket pocket.

'Harry, what about your relatives?' Hermione worried.

What about them?

'They never liked Hedwig because they thought I was sending secret messages or something.' Harry shrugged although he was clearly annoyed.

'And she hated being in a cage so she made a lot of noise. I don't think that's going to be much of a problem this time.'

'Yeah, but...' Hermione sighed. 'Hedwig was in your room the whole summer, doesn't the cat have to be with you at all times?'

Harry paled a little at that and Severus glanced over at him with curiosity. Did the Dursleys not like cats or something? Maybe they were allergic; he hoped so.

'I'll figure something out.' Harry replied and looked out the window, his enthusiasm began to fade with each mile that brought them closer to their destination. He hated Privet Drive and those who called themselves his relatives while they acted the complete opposite.

'Whew, what a year!' Ron exclaimed as the train began to emerge into the station a few hours later. 'Do you think we'll ever have a quiet year at Hogwarts?'

'No.' Hermione laughed.

Unfortunately, I am forced to agree. In two years these three Gryffindors have caused me more stress than the ten years before their arrival. I am not looking forward to the upcoming five years. Maybe I can get them expelled by then? My sanity depends on it.

'Come on, Harry!' Hermione urged as the boy was reluctant to leave the train. Maybe if he stayed on board than it would take him back to Hogsmeade and he could hide out there for the summer? Yeah, Harry didn't think so either.

'Let go.' He added to the cat, who obediently jumped from the seat to follow after him and constantly flicked its tail in annoyance towards the crowd around them.

Severus hurried after Harry and hated that he had to quicken his pace in order to keep up with the brat instead of it being the other way around. Moving through the barrier, he stood beside Harry as the boy said goodbye to his friends and began to search the muggle crowd for his relatives.

'Back are you, boy?' Vernon frowned as his nephew joined him. Instantly he noticed the absence of the owl's cage and smirked until his gaze trailed to the cat at his side.

'What's this?'

'Um, Dumbledore wants to borrow my owl for the summer but thought I should look after his cat in her place, like a trade.'Harry explained in a way that was suitable enough for the Dursleys to understand.

'The cat has to stay with me at all times, but it's very well behaved and never makes any noise.'

'It better not.' Petunia scowled.

'At least it's better than that ruddy owl.' Vernon added as he turned and led the way to the car.

Tuney. Severus eyed the horse-like woman he despised a great deal from their childhood. She didn't appear to have changed much, although given his small size it was difficult to really tell. No matter, he was likely to find out soon enough anyway.

Although he was a little confused as to why the beefy man hadn't offered to take Potter's trolley for him, also that Petunia was yet to ask her nephew how his year had been. And the other boy, the fat pig-like brat walking beside Potter didn't even greet him as he greedily slurped at his ice cream.

Torture. There is no other way to explain what these next few months are going to be like! Why, why did I allow this to happen?!

If Severus had been capable of making any sound, he'd have yelped quite loudly and in a very undignified manner when Potter suddenly picked him up and placed him onto the back seat of the car.

'Sorry.' The boy added quickly as he got in beside the cat. 'But they weren't going to wait. I'll ask your permission next time.'

You had better! Severus began to hope that cats truly did have nine lives because he was going to need every one of them in order to survive even a week of this unending horror.

-

Severus didn't get a chance to see much of the house, although he knew what it looked like from a few memories he'd been shown and a moment of curiosity many years ago. Once they'd arrived, Harry had been told to go upstairs right away and the boy made expressed hesitation to do so.

'Come on!' Harry hissed at him and Severus merely glared.

Oh yes, and being your size these steps would be simple for you, Potter! However, in case you are yet to realize...I. AM. A. CAT!

Scowling mentally, Severus jumped the first step and than the next, only to feel as though five more would kill him.

'Oh, bloody hell.' Harry knew he was going to be in a lot of trouble if he didn't quickly get his belongings to safety. He returned to the fourth step where the cat appeared to be staring at it expectantly and without the warning he'd promised, the boy picked up the cat and carried him upstairs.

I hate you, Potter. Although, at least I need not conquer those blasted steps right now.

'Sorry, again...but I couldn't wait.' Harry said hurriedly as he flipped open his trunk with a sense of urgency that actually worried Severus for a moment. What was going on?

He watched curiously as the boy lifted a floorboard beside his bed and shoved a few items inside, such as his cloak and wand, as well as a few books and a couple of other items that were concealed before Severus even had the chance to figure out what they were.

Slamming his trunk shut, Harry backed away from it and exhaled with solid relief. A second later, Severus was unceremoniously startled by the bedroom door that gushed open and nearly turned him 2D; it would have had he been only three inches closer to the door.

Bloody muggles!

Vernon looked angry and being a cat, Severus could sense the man's elevated fear. But of what?

'Give it, boy!' Vernon reached for the trunk and dragged it out of the room. Listening carefully, Severus heard it going down the stairs and than there was the sound of many locks being secured.

What's that about? Wasn't the boy allowed his own things? No doubt he'd caused trouble before, it's probably just an extra measure to make sure no trouble comes to their nephew from the Ministry. I guess they don't know about the floorboards, since the boy still has his wand. Just like Potter, always breaking the rules when they're there for his own bloody safety!

'Okay, so you need a name.' Harry seemed to have taken the loss of his things personally, judging by his frown, but had clearly expected it and made no effort to stop his uncle from taking them away.

I do not. Don't get any ideas! I'm perfectly fine with being referred to as “cat” for all I care.

'Well, you're black.' Harry stared at the creature that appeared to be glaring back, although that was impossible. 'I don't want to give you something typical, like “Midnight”, “Shadow” or, ”Smokey”. They sound a bit stupid, really.'

Thank Merlin. I may let you live yet.

'I know!' Harry grinned. 'I read a story about a wizard named Barterly Brennegan who had a cat a lot like you.'

What? The famous Potions Master of the 1700's? What would you know of him?

'Anyway, his cat had magical powers and would stay by Brennegan's side no matter where he went, and since you need a name and this one fits...I think I'll call you Seven. Since it's also a magical number, according to Hermione.'

Seven? Well, I can live with that, I suppose.

'What do you think?' Harry thought it was stupid to ask the cat because even if it could understand him, that didn't mean the creature could really comprehend his words. And yet, to his utter amazement, the cat nodded its head and appeared to relax a little.

'C-Can you really understand me?' Harry whispered as he slid off his bed and eyed the cat in front of him with awe. Again, it nodded.

'Whoa.' He grinned. 'This is wicked.'

Yes, enthralling. Severus mentally rolled his eyes sarcastically.

'Okay, Seven.' Harry nodded. 'You have a name. Now, where would you like to sleep?' In response, the cat jumped onto the bed as Severus had no intention of living like an animal just because he was transfigured into one; the floor seemed terribly uncomfortable.

'Alright, that's fine.' Harry relaxed as he had hoped the cat would want to sleep with him anyway. As much as he already missed Hedwig, he had to admit that having a pet in which he could keep close for company and that could give him actual responses made him far less lonely than he had ever felt with or without his owl.

'Boy, dinner!' Vernon called for Harry to make their dinner right away. Severus misunderstood this to indicate that the boy would be pampered by his relatives with a “welcome home” feast.

'Coming!'Harry called back and sighed. 'Alright, Sev...I suppose you've really got to stay with me then.' He turned and left the room, leaving the door open so that Severus could follow.

However, the black cat did not move.

What did you just call me?

Severus could not move and his mind felt numb at that familiar and painful nickname. Sev. Just like Lily used to call him. Suddenly he hated the name “Seven” a great deal more. Swallowing nervously,

Severus rushed forward after the boy and was glad that Potter was already in the kitchen because he had forgotten about the stairs and ended up sliding right down to the bottom. Laying sprawled on the floor for a moment, Severus mutely hissed and trailed after the brat; at least he couldn't be hurt and he didn't have to climb all the way down the bloody things.

Halting in the doorway, Severus saw the family sitting at the table while Harry was the one moving about the kitchen. Petunia glared repulsively at the idea of a cat being anywhere near her kitchen but said nothing as her angered focus rested upon Harry.

'And don't you dare burn anything.' She scowled.

'Yes, Aunt Petunia.' Harry sighed.

'Hey, Sev.' He looked down at the cat who was slowly and cautiously joining his side again. 'I was told you're safe from anything dangerous but please try not to get in my way, okay?'

'Hurry up, boy!' Vernon scowled.

'Yes, Uncle Vernon.' Harry replied as he bit back an annoyed sigh.

Severus moved and sat in a corner where he could watch Harry with shock and worry. The family were watching TV and laughing amongst themselves while the nephew they hadn't seen for a long time was rushing about in the kitchen to make their dinner. And it appeared as though there were only three plates on the counter in which were to be filled with food. Severus felt a chill shoot down his spine as he realized that something simply wasn't quite right here.

And suddenly, his job just got a whole lot more complicated.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review. And suggestions are welcome!
Observations by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Wow, thanks to all of my reviewers!

Severus watched Harry move about the kitchen as the boy prepared dinner for the family that was yet to properly acknowledge him.

At first, Severus had been worried about their lack of greetings and fussing, but as he thought about it more, he realized that they were probably punishing the boy for his dangerous actions in the past few months as they had likely been informed of the goings-on. And the boy had no doubt eaten himself sick with the sweets on the train and that was why he had chosen not to eat now, since it had been Potter who got the three plates out of the kitchen cupboard instead of four.

Severus scowled at himself for reading too much into the situation just because his childhood had been one of great misery. Even so, he wasn't entirely convinced of either possibility and decided to pay close attention for at least a week before he made any decisions. There was no point in jumping to conclusions if it was all for nothing.

After all, this was the Gryffindor golden Potter brat in which he was tolerating.

As convinced as Severus was, he still could not deny the look of absolute longing on the boy's face as he placed the plates of food onto the table and watched his family eat.

'I think it's time you went to bed.' Vernon narrowed his eyes at Harry, who had been lingering hopefully near the doorway with the cat a few feet from his ankles.

'Yes, Uncle Vernon.' Harry sighed and turned to head upstairs to his room.

Severus frowned as he followed and prepared himself to climb the stairs again. He was not at all used to being a cat and loathed the falsehood in McGonagall's words when she'd said it was rather easy to get used to. It had been simple for her to say that, seeing as it was her animagus form whereas this wasn't his; merely an art of transfiguration forced upon him.

'Do you need help, Seven?' Harry stared down at him from the top step. Determined not to be defeated by the brat, Severus shook his head. Shrugging, Harry disappeared around the corner and left the stubborn cat to make his own way up each step on its own.

--

By the time an enraged and tired Severus entered the smallest bedroom, Harry was sitting upright on the bed with his back resting against the wall for support. He appeared to be flipping through some sort of book although he glanced up when the cat entered but paid “Seven” little notice.

Curious, Severus jumped up to join the boy and peered at what had captivated the brat's attention. He deeply regretted it when the smiling face of Lily Evans shone back at him. Cringing away from it, Severus moved to sit at the end of the bed and categorized potions in his head in effort to distract his thoughts from such memories and to be rid of the ache he felt in his chest.

'These are my parents.' Harry told him, because naturally this was just a cat in which he was talking to who knew nothing of him or his past.

Severus turned to look elsewhere as he rolled his eyes and mutely sighed.

'I don't know much about them, though.' Harry said softly.

There was a thundering on the stairs outside the room as though a small elephant was running up them in a hurry; then Dudley burst into view with a grin on his face.

'Hey, Potter!' He said in an obviously spoiled tone that Severus already despised and began to move away from the boy.

'What happened to your owl? Did the snake eat it?'

Severus didn't know if he truly could stand a whole summer of this; and there was no doubt that the brat's cousin wanted to hear all of Potter's adventurous tales at his magical school.

'No.' Harry scowled at the other boy. 'She's staying with a friend. Sod off, Dudley.'

'Me and the boys are going to the park tomorrow.' Dudley smirked. 'I suppose we'll see you there, huh?'

'Maybe.' Harry knew his cousin wanted to beat him up again with his gang, but also if Dudley as going to be at the park and he wasn't, than some other (mostly younger) kid would suffer in Harry’s place.

As Dudley left, Severus frowned at Potter's rudeness and considered him to be just as spoiled as the other boy. Honesty, he could expect nothing less from Petunia. Although, while the boy's cousin seemed nicer, he wondered why Potter didn’t want anything to do with him - two boys around the same age growing up together like this should be as close as any pair of brothers could be.

Not up to Potter’s standards, probably.

Leaving Potter to his photo album, Severus curled up at the end of the bed and mused to himself until it was clear that the boy was getting ready for bed.

Slipping underneath his light covers, Harry glanced at the distant cat and sighed. It seemed to be less friendly the more time he spent with it and briefly Harry wondered if he was doing something wrong. Gasping, he tossed off his sheets and went to his wardrobe for the bag of food he had been given.

The cat jumped off the bed and joined his side as Harry put down a sheet of newspaper and tipped some food onto it, since he didn't have a bowl to use instead - not even Petunia's oldest one would be offered up for a cat to eat out of.

'There you go.' Harry leaned back as he watched the cat eat the strange food, which wasn't exactly cat chow but something similar.

'That's better, isn't it?'

He moved to climb back into bed and watched the black creature eat all of the food until the boy’s eyelids began to feel heavy. Reaching out to switch off his desk lamp, Harry removed his glasses and lay against his pillow, his mind full of dread for the next day but also a few ideas for bonding with the cat a little more so it didn't dislike him so much.

Severus swallowed the last of the food, thankful that it was potion-modified so that he didn't have to force down actual cat food. This was a nutrition substitute for cereal and was perfectly consumable for people. He looked around for some water and spotted a small container nearby with such liquid, no doubt having previously belonged to the boy's owl.

He just hoped it was clean.

Gulping some water, Severus turned and approached the bed as he felt content and ready to rest; one more long sleep and his energy should be back up to functionality. He paused on the sheets and was tempted to sleep at the end of the bed but wasn't sure if the boy kicked in his sleep and had no intention of finding out. He inched closer to the pillow and halted as the moonlight lit up the boy's slumbering face. Without those glasses, the twelve-year-old looked far less like a Potter and for a split second…Harry looked like an Evans.

Severus curled up in the space above the pillow and closed his eyes. The only real good thing he could find about being a cat was how when he slept, his mind was no longer his own and therefore none of his previous nightmares or terrible memories could plague him.


The charm in place to alert Severus every morning the moment the boy awoke was unnecessary as a cat needed less rest than a human and therefore he was already stretching uncomfortably at sunrise.

He jumped from the bed to the desk and walked carefully along it until he reached the window. Peering outside, there wasn't much to see so he took a well-aimed leap onto the drawers opposite the bed and was pleased to notice that the window there overlooked the street of Privet Drive. Not that were was anything at all interesting to see, however it did provide an excellent lookout post should he need it.

Tap! Tap! Tap!

Severus turned towards the bedroom door and frowned, surely Petunia (he could tell it was her by the fact that with the weight of other two household members, the pounding would be much rougher and louder), wouldn't be so foolish to think that a boy Potter's age and attitude would get up so early? And what possible reason would he have for doing so?

Tap! Tap! Tap!

'Up!' Her screeching voice caused Severus to cringe, although he did not miss the way the boy instantly startled awake.

'Get up! Now!'

Harry groaned and sipped his glasses over his face as he did as he was told and quickly dressed into the most horribly loose clothes that Severus felt polite in labeling as rags. No doubt this was an act of rebellion towards his aunt getting him up so early; because of course her pampered nephew wouldn't be allowed to leave the house dressed in such a way.

Following the boy downstairs, Severus wondered what was going on that had Petunia getting Potter up so early whereas Dudley was permitted to continue snoring. Surely she didn't play favourites with her nephew over her own son? It was also strange how the bespectacled boy never asked any questions nor appeared at all surprised by the early awakening.

'I expect there to be no weeds in my garden and for the plants to be properly watered.' Petunia frowned at Harry. 'You've got one hour to finish. Go!'

'Yes, Aunt Petunia.' Harry headed outside into the backyard, glancing around once to see if the cat was still with him.

'At least I've got you to keep me company.' He said to the creature, who merely stared back at him with a rather curious expression.

'And you'll get a chance to run around now, since I'm not usually allowed outside.'

I'm not a dog, Potter! I do not respond to “come” and I don't need to “run around”. Although, I am surprised that Tuney has taken such measures to keep you safe, if she only lets you outside occasionally.

Perhaps I had underestimated her.

As Harry worked away at weeding the garden, Severus sprawled out in the morning sun nearby and lazily watched the boy. He was alert enough to not forget his primary mission of keeping the brat protected, but he wasn't all too worried; it was so quiet, no spelled alerts were going off, and Petunia kept glancing through the window to check on her nephew.

After an hour, Severus had to admit he was rather impressed with the boy's work. Petunia called the brat inside to make breakfast and then handed him a list of chores. Severus wasn't sure what to think of that and once again all of his assumptions were re-arranged. When would Potter be getting his own breakfast? What was the reasoning behind all of these tasks? Were they punishment for his dangerous and idiotic actions over the past year?

No doubt, the Dursleys must have had quite a fright when their darling nephew was almost killed for a second year in a row.

--

By late afternoon, Potter had eaten only two slices of toast, a piece of cheese and a small apple, throughout the entire course of the day. It would certainly explain why the boy was so skinny; much like Severus had been as a child. Shoving those thoughts aside, Severus continued to trail around after the boy as he did chores. He wondered what the brat was planning on doing next because he had that defiant expression in which indicated he was about to do something Gryffindor-ish.

Severus loathed that look with every fiber of his being.

As the sun began to set, Harry was seen sitting in his room pouring over his photo album once again. His defiant expression was gone and for that Severus was immeasurably relieved.

'I should've done it.' Harry muttered to himself, not really focusing on the pictures any more. 'If I'd gone to the park, then maybe I could've helped.' He sighed miserably.

'Dudley's probably still beating up those kids right now.'

Scowling so deeply that he almost broke the sound spells preventing him from making a noise, Severus eyed the boy with renewed loathing. He wanted to help his cousin beat up other kids? The foul, Potter-like bully of a brat!

'What's with you?' Harry glanced over at saw that this cat company appeared to be rather livid with him. 'I know I haven't given you much attention lately, and I'm sorry...but it's hard here.' He sighed.

'But I promise I'll make it up to you, Sev.'

Ignoring the nickname, Severus was tempted to stalk out of the house right then and leave the boy relatively unprotected from Black. The pair deserved each other! Why was he wasting his summer for a pest that was possibly even worse than James Potter had been?

'I always wanted a cat.' Harry revealed as Severus continued to glare at him, his eyes almost dark brown slits as he did so.

'But Hagrid bought me Hedwig for my birthday that first day in Diagon Alley. I never had a birthday present before.'

That stopped Severus. What...Never? Impossible!

'I really like Hedwig; she was my first friend before Ron.' Harry glanced back at his album.

Talking about seemingly random things to the cat was assisting him in easing away the guilt he felt for not going to the park to take the place of the poor kids who Dudley ganged up on. He hadn't been allowed to leave the house, anyway.

'I miss them already.' Harry sighed heavily. 'Ron and Hermione. And Hogwarts, of course.' He glanced at the cat. 'I wonder what you thought of Hogwarts; its big though, isn't it?'

Obviously.

'I was so nervous when I first walked through those doors, I'll never forget it though.' Harry smiled at the memory. 'I wish my sorting hadn't taken so long though. That was scary for a moment, especially when the hat couldn't pick at first.'

Couldn't pick? As if you'd ever end up anywhere but in Gryffindor!

'Sorry, I'm probably boring you.' Harry smirked at the cat and placed his album beside his bed as he thought about what to do next. He would no doubt be called down to make dinner soon and yet he was bored, which was to be expected when all he had to do every day was dull, repetitive chores.

‘You can understand what I’m saying, but I wish you could answer me or something.’ Harry sighed.

Believe me, Potter, when I think your ears would not be able to withstand what I long to tell you! You spoiled, troublesome and bullying-!

‘It’s like that snake I accidentally set on Dudley before I got my Hogwarts letter.’ Harry recalled. ‘It spoke back to me, but that was just because I could speak to snakes, which I didn’t know then.’ He sighed.

‘I wish I could speak to cats instead. I’d prefer it, actually.’

Harry fell silent for a moment as he looked around the room and sighed heavily. He returned his photo album to his bedside table although he wanted to conceal it under his floorboards, just in case. He hadn’t minded the task Dumbledore had given him except that the cat constantly had the look of holding some sort of grudge against him.

‘You remind me of Snape.’ Harry mused. ‘Not by the tail and ears, of course. But because you’re all black and you’ve got the same sort of eye colour.’

Interesting, my cat eyes are clearly brown and yet one would assume me actual eyes are black. I care nothing for such facts but how would you notice such a little detail, although I suppose you’re used to me glaring at you by now.

‘He dresses in black, has that same sort of stare you’re giving me as though I’ve done something unforgiveable and you’ll always hold me against it.’ Harry hunched his shoulders and lowered his gaze.

 ‘It’s so stupid! He hates me for…I don’t know what exactly. I heard he doesn’t like my father but I can’t help that and whatever he thinks my dad did, there’s nothing I can bloody do about it, is there?’ He frowned. ‘And he calls me spoiled, a celebrity, and all that rubbish. I doubt he’d believe me if I told him how I lived in a cupboard under the stairs until I got my letter, or how these clothes are the most fitting I’ve had in years – Dudley’s old cast-offs, and of course-‘

‘HARRY POTTER!’

Vernon’s bellow carried up the stairs along with the beefy man’s pounding footsteps. The door burst open and the man stood there glaring at his nephew. Both cat and child alike jumped back in surprise and caution.

‘What did I tell you about the ruddy neighbors?’ Vernon lowered his tone as his eyes narrowed to be even smaller than usual.

‘But I didn’t-‘ Harry protested and clenched his fists as he was certain that Dudley had something to do with this. His cousin loved getting him in trouble but if he couldn’t catch Harry doing something or cause an incident than the large boy would simply make something up.

‘I was doing chores all day and weeded the garden.’ Harry lifted his chin bravely. Severus was very familiar with that look from the boy and yet he was unable to deny the truth behind the brat’s words.

That IS all he’d been doing all day.

‘Than why is Mrs Bletchy from across the street asking about you?’

‘Asking about me?’ Harry was confused. ‘Who is she? I don’t know her!’ He insisted when Vernon growled and approached him, although the man seemed to hesitate.

‘Big nose, disgusting shade of red hair, glasses.’ Vernon noted the recognition in the boy’s face.

‘Ha! So you know of her, eh boy?’

‘I’ve seen her around.’ Harry whispered. ‘But I swear, I never said anything! Dudley must’ve-‘

‘Don’t you dare blame Dudley!’ Vernon roared. Harry shook from where he sat pressed against the wall his bed was resting against while Severus sat very still at the end of the bed and glowered up at the intrusive, obnoxious man.

‘After everything we have done for you! Given you a roof over your head, fed you food off of our table, and even given your Dudley’s second bedroom.’ Vernon said in a rather reciting manner.

‘We tolerate your freakishness, and this is how you repay us? Spreading lies to the neighbors and than blaming Dudley who had the decency to warn us in case more questions were asked about your…situation.’

Harry bore his eyes into the sheets of his bed and shook with anger although he fought quite hard against exploding either verbally or magically towards the man.

‘Sorry, sir,’ was all he could deliver through his clenched teeth.

Severus paused and glanced back at the boy, risking exposing his neck to the large man for a brief moment. He could feel the magic and rage elevating from the child and yet despite the false accusations against him, Potter had merely become submissive and struggled to contain himself as though worst things would happen if he didn’t.

Harry didn’t know what to do to get Vernon to just leave him alone, not that he could ever stop Dudley (who was no doubt annoyed that Harry hadn’t shown up at the park), and yet he didn’t have to when his uncle suddenly let out a yell of pain. Fearing the use of accidental magic, Harry quickly jumped off his bed and glanced at the man only to just catch a glimpse of a black blur.

Seven had lunged forward and bitten onto one of Vernon’s fat fingers with all his might; and he had done so in Harry’s defense.

‘Curse that ruddy fur ball!’ Vernon shouted as Petunia’s hurried footsteps were heard on the stairs before she burst into view, fussing over her husband and glaring at Harry. Unable to spot the creature that had dived under the bed, Vernon turned to the only other person he could blame and punish for his bloody finger. He reached out and grasped Harry by the boy’s hair and snarled at him.

‘Did you use your freakishness to tell the thing to do that?’

‘No, I swear I didn’t!’

Severus tensed in the shadow of the bed and quickly checked the situation. He froze and stared at the scene, waiting for a fist to collide with the boy or for any other form of violence or visible mistreatment.

Nothing happened.

The boy was shoved away and the two Dursleys left the room, slamming the door behind them as they muttered and growled about the insufferable whelp they had been forced to take in and how they’d love to be rid of him.

‘Thanks, Sev.’ Harry whispered shakily as he sat on his bed and curled into a ball, wrapping his arms around his knees as he sat there with his chin resting against them.

Severus jumped onto the bed and stared at the boy for the entire duration in which Harry sat there, staring into space. He was shouted at to make dinner and Severus dutifully followed him downstairs and was pleased to see that the moment the Dursleys saw him they back away and ignored the presence of their nephew once again. Dinner was prepared, made and cooked by the Gryffindor while his cat companion glared at the Dursleys the entire time as though guard duty was involved.

Once the plates had touched the tables, Harry had dashed out of the room and waited at the bottom steps of the stairs to see what the cat was going to do. It sat beside him and watched him as though giving silent permission to be carried up the mountainous ascension.

Harry and Severus sat on the bed in silence, neither doing anything as they resumed their previous positions; Severus staring at the childe before him while Harry’s gaze drifted aimlessly. Unable to withstand it any longer, Severus approached the boy and placed a paw against his ankle to get his attention. Harry glanced over at him with surprise, as thought he had forgotten the animal was there.

They locked eyes for approximately forty seconds and than a small smile creased the boy’s face.

‘I’m glad you’re here, Sev.’ He whispered and seemed more relaxed as he reached for his treasured photo album once again.

I am not. I saw those images flicker across your mind right now.

They really did stash you in the cupboard like common luggage, didn’t they? Never feeding you enough, clothing you poorly, and otherwise doing the exact opposite of what Dumbledore had requested of them. I am only relieved that the mistreatment was minimal. Had they raised a hand to you as my father had to me, I’d have snatched you from their care before they could blink.

And suddenly an odd sensation filled his throat, as though he had drank a bowl of thick, warm water. Coughing once, Severus’ eyes widened as the sound broke the silence of the room.

‘Meow.’ He said.

What such an undignified sound! Blast, I wish I could remain mute if this is how I am to speak in this form. No matter, at least now the sound spells have broken due to my new understandings. McGonagall planned this all along, no doubt. I couldn’t hiss and snarl at the brat and now that I understand how wrong my judgments of the boy’s life seem to be, than now I may purr and meow? I think not!

I shall merely redirect my hissing and snarling, yes, take that Minerva!

‘You can talk again!’ Harry smiled. ‘Well, like a cat, I mean.’ He corrected.

No, I don’t want this. I prefer the silence that was agreed upon!

And at his thoughts, the sensation returned and his voice was once again removed. In answer to Harry’s words, Severus shook his head and moved to curl up behind the boy’s pillow once again.

‘Oh, well…’ Harry didn’t know what to say so he merely sighed and lay down to stare up at the dull ceiling.

‘You really shouldn’t have bitten Uncle Vernon.’ He added. ‘It just makes him madder, but at least now he’ll leave me alone if you’re with me.’

Indeed. And I have no intention to leave you, Potter. I promise those muggles won’t dare come near you when I’m around. I hope you can understand my apologies for the assumptions I made earlier that turned out to be as incorrect as I had feared.

You are not the spoiled brat I thought you to be, I merely hope that someday soon you shall see that I am not the cold git you believe me to be.

Severus paused as he glanced down at the sleepy child and felt a pang of further realization that caused him to back away and wince. No, the boy would never know nor suspect of who he truly was. Harry would spent time with a cat - a feline companion, but Professor Severus Snape would always be that heartless Slytherin professor who unreasonably hated him.

‘Good night, Sev.’ Harry mumbled as he yawned and rolled over to his side, completely forgetting about his glasses.

Good night…Harry.

To be continued...
End Notes:
You may have noticed that I have made it that Vernon did not physically abuse Harry, this is because I wanted to try something more canon, since J.K was rather vague on the specifics of Harry's mistreatment. Most fics in which Snape finds out the truth about the boy's life inolves extremities so I wanted to try it more along the lines of what was shown in the films (the cupboard/hair "there is no such thing as magic!" scene comes to mind).

Please review!
A Cold Night in July by watercrystals

The gentle sound of rain against the window woke Harry from his slumber the following morning.

Harry sat upright in his bed and reached for his glasses to place them over his face. He paused and wondered how they had ended up there, because Harry was sure that he had forgotten to take them off the night before. It would have been such a simple gesture that aimed to make him more comfortable, as well as safe his glasses from possible harm so he could always see, and yet no one in the Dursley household would have done such a thing for him.

Looking over towards the black cat who was stilling by the window and staring our at the rain, Harry shook his head and decided that he must have taken his own glasses off but didn't remember. There is no way the cat could have done it, right? Sighing at that thought, Harry got out of bed and dressed into the usual baggy clothes that he hated. Walking to the desk in his room, he sat in the seat and planned to stay there until his aunt would shout for him to get up and make breakfast.

'Good morning, Sev.' Harry greeted his feline companion with a smile. 'Did you sleep well?' He asked.

The animals shook his head and turned his gaze away from the boy to glare at the rain outside. Moving from his desk seat to stand where the cat was seated near the window, Harry looked outside at the wet grounds and scenery of Privet Drive. He understood what the cat might have meant.

'Yeah. I can't sleep through the rain either.' Harry replied. 'I don't know why. It's not loud or anything, but I just can't properly sleep through it.'

Neither could Lily. And because of that...neither can I.

Severus sighed as he glanced towards the door as he had heard footsteps and saw a brief shadow under the small space that separated wood from carpet. He frowned when Petunia's screech was heard from the other side of the wooden door. He crouched and prepared to jump from the desk and make his way to the floor, yet was not given the chance. Severus mentally yelped at the sudden action hindering his plans of independence when Harry scooped him up and carried him downstairs to the kitchen.

Severus wasn't sure what he considered to be worse; the fact that Harry hadn't asked his permission to do such a thing, or the way in which Severus was beginning to adapt to it.

-- 

Severus was a little smug to the fact that Vernon and Petunia were clearly avoiding him - no doubt because of the little incident prior involving his feline teeth. However, it seemed to have no affect on Dudley.

'Move, Potter!' Dudley knocked Harry into the kitchen's door-frame with his elbow as he shoved by seconds after Harry had placed the cat on the floor.

Severus glared at the fat boy and looked up at Harry to observe his reaction. He noticed the wince and silence, yet the Gryffindor said nothing and merely walked into the kitchen to make breakfast in accordance to Petunia's instructions.

Walking to sit within close enough distance to the teenage wizard without worrying about the dangers of the kitchen, Severus watched the horrid muggles and felt rather conflicted. He knew Harry wasn't treated very kindly in this household, yet he could not shake off the way Harry had been remorseful that the boy hadn't been able to help his cousin beat up those kids at the park.

Unless Severus had missed something?

'How much longer is that ruddy thing going to be here?' Vernon's growl was directed at Harry as he pointed a sore, fat finger towards the animal.

'Until I go back to school,' Harry answered as he put the plates of food in front of his family.

He returned to the kitchen to work on the coffee and squeeze orange juice while Severus continued to watch him. Harry didn't look up again until he was spoken to or any words were aimed his way.

'What if we had been allergic?' Petunia added with a scowl. 'I think it should be out in the shed!' She hissed.

To her, all dirty things or something associated with Harry should be locked up out of sight and certainly did not belong inside her house.

'No!' Harry said quickly. 'I mean, it has to stay with me...Dumble-that's what I was told and they'd know if the cat isn't with me.'

Why did you change your words? Surely they would know who Dumbledore is? Or perhaps...much like my own childhood, there is to be no mention of such magical truths here?

Severus glanced at Petunia and realised he was right; the woman eyed Harry with a pale face and appeared ready to hand out punishments if he said a “bad” word. Harry had clearly adapted to talking about Hogwarts and his professors without actually mentioning anything about the magic or something muggles would consider “abnormal”.

As though no one had spoken, Vernon turned to converse casually with his wife and son. 'Oh, and Marge is coming to visit in a few weeks.' He said.

Severus hardly cared for who that “Marge” person was except that he sensed a great unease in Harry. The boy was speeding up his tasks as though the woman's name alone made him want to flee.

'May I go for a walk?' Harry asked nervously.

The Dursleys looked at him oddly and every one of them were about to argue and protest, until they looked down at the cat and Petunia nodded with a sour expression.

'Take that thing with you.' She snarled.

As though he had been given a new broomstick, Harry's eyes lit up and he nodded as he turned and rushed from the house with the cat hurrying along behind him. Severus had seen the muggles smirk towards the window before giving permission and knew why once he stepped outside and cringed.

It was still raining, possibly harder than it had been when the Gryffindor had woken.

Standing on the doorstep, Harry lifted a hood over his face and looked down at his cat before he quickly picked it up. The Gryffindor unzipped his jacket and placed the cat against his chest. Harry zipped it up again in an attempt to keep the creature warm and mostly dry.

As Harry looked around the wet street, he turned and headed for the small park in the distance. Severus was not amused and was sorely tempted to magic himself back into his human self just to be rid of this boy and the infernal rain!

-- 

Halfway to the park, Harry passed under a bridge that was more like an alley with the graffiti, litter and length. He paused at the other end and did not leave the sheltered area as he let the cat out of his jacket and sank slowly against the side wall. Hanging his head, Harry sighed and looked quite miserable.

'I hate Marge.' Harry said to Severus. The cat was sitting nearby and watching him carefully, though the teenager barely noticed.

'She's Uncle Vernon's horrible sister and they make her call her “aunt” even though she's not related to me, thankfully.' Harry said.

Severus had to move closer to hear the boy over the rain and wished they were back in the boy's room rather than where they were.

'She brings her bulldog Ripper who chases me and...' Harry gulped and looked over at his small friend who could not answer him. 'With you there, it's going to be worst...I hope I can keep you safe.'

You're going to keep ME safe, Potter? What in the name of Merlin has this world come to?

'But...' Harry inhaled and let his hair fall over his eyebrows for a moment before he moved a hand to brush it away. 'She always says mean things about my parents.' He sighed sadly.

'I know it's going to be bad...and I don't think I can't fight back this time. Normally they just lock me up in the cupboard like usual, but I don't think that's going to work much longer.' He frowned. 'Marge is happiest when she's taking the mickey out of me and my family.'

'You hiding, eh, Potter?' Dudley's voice called out to him from the end of the underpass.

'Sod off, Dudley,' Harry instantly became defiant and stood to his feet with fists clenched at his side. 'And how'd you leave the house? I'd have thought your mum would be keeping her Ickle Diddykins safe from the big, bad rain?' He mocked.

'Shut up!' Dudley scowled as he blushed and called behind him, where three other boys emerged.

Severus instantly tensed at the sight of the four boys that ganged up against one. His mind flashed back to the Marauders. He knew Dudley was a spoiled brat, but a bully? Well, actually he suspected as much with the park comment prior and was glaring at Harry as he half expected the Gryffindor to join them, even if Severus was certain the cousins didn't get along at all.

Harry gulped and grabbed the cat to conceal it inside his jacket again. He stepped backwards and glanced to see that the rain had stopped even if the sun was still concealed behind the darkened clouds.

'Fancy a game of “Harry Hunting”, boys?' Dudley laughed. The other teenagers nodded their heads while hitting their fists against their hands.

Wasting not another moment, Harry turned and bolted in the only direction he could – towards the park and nearby fields of dry grass. But it was much harder to escape, as he ran over splashing mud puddles and slippery rocks, while clutching tightly to the cat he had with him.

With the boys shouting behind him, Harry spurred onwards and ignored how his clothes were wet and muddy while his glasses weren't much better. Why hadn't he stayed in the house? What was he going to do with the cat if they caught him? Where could they hide?

Slipping, he managed to manoeuvre enough so that when he fell, Harry landed on his back instead of squishing the cat. The creature instantly jumped out of Harry's jacket and mutely hissed nearby, flicking his black tail with irritation.

'Get him!' Dudley called out.

The other boys had reached the fleeing pair and looked really angry at Harry for being faster than them or simply for not just standing still.

Harry covered his face with his hands and braced himself for the impact but the punches never came. As he opened his eyes and peeked over his arms, Harry saw that the four boys were backing away from the black cat that was glaring at them with sharp teeth and a truly intimidating expression.

'It's just a cat – kick it!' One boy yelled.

Dudley knew better and remained at the back of the group, not wanting to provoke the creature further.

No one moved as they stared anxiously at the cat and the small but dangerous-looking creature glared back. Droplets of rain came down upon them again and the boys decided it was best to leave.

As they scurried off, Harry rose a little into sitting position, feeling relieved that he had gotten so lucky. He watched as the cat turned and jumped onto his chest, wondering what it was trying to do. It raised a small, back paw to wipe the glasses clean enough for the boy to stare back with his wide, emerald eyes.

Look at me, boy!

Severus flexed his ears and stared into Harry's eyes, seeing the mental image of the same emerald-eyed boy at seven years old rushing in front of a younger boy who was about to be a victim of Dudley's gang. Harry took the beating instead as he stressed for the other child to run away.

Severus saw other flickers of memories quite the same and a sad realisation dawned on him as he remembered Harry's words: “I should've done it. If I'd gone to the park, then maybe I could've helped. Dudley's probably still beating up those kids right now.”

Looking up at the sky and tearing his gaze from the cat’s, Harry sighed and struggled to his feet. He was sore from landing on his back against the muddy stones and winced against the terrible cold. He reached for the cat but the creature moved away and was determined to walk on its own.

'It's all muddy.' Harry insisted. 'Please?'

Severus didn't trust Harry but saw the pleading gaze and wondered why it was so important to the boy just to carry him. Rolling his eyes, Severus nodded his head as he didn't actually want to walk all that way through the mud.

-- 

They were almost back at Privet Drive when Severus realised that he wasn't just being carried, the boy was rather clinging to him...almost hugging him close. He cringed at the thought and considered it rather pathetic that the Gryffindor would become so attached to a mere cat after such a short time.

Even if that cat had just saved him from a group of bullies.

'He set the cat on us!' Dudley was whimpering to his mother as Harry stepped inside the house and tried to dry his shoes the best he could.

'I did not.' Harry said instantly.

He went to put the cat on the floor but Petunia's shriek stopped him. She ordered him not to move and rushed from the room. She returned with three old, tattered towels and a garbage bag. Severus watched as she never said a word to the boy yet Harry knew to put his shoes, socks and jacket into the garbage bag. He wrapped the struggling cat in one of the towels and hurried upstairs to his room before his aunt could remember what Dudley had lied to her about.

'Stupid Dudley!' Harry kicked his bedroom door shut as he walked into the room. 'He's always getting me into trouble! It's Dudley here and Malfoy at Hogwarts.' Harry changed his clothes quickly and used one of the towels to dry his hair and remove some of the mud.

Given the circumstances, Severus wondered why Petunia hadn't simply ordered him to shower, since it would be more effective, surely.

'At least I have friends at Hogwarts.' Harry said sadly, sinking onto the side of his bed as he looked into the distance. He glance at the cat and smiled, thinking he did have one friend here even if it was a non-talking feline.

'Come here.' Harry said and reached for the towel he had carried the cat upstairs in.

With a mute hiss, Severus tried to avoid him but the Gryffindor was unsettlingly fast when he needed to be. The towel was itchy even as Harry tried to be gentle, yet Severus just sat there and glared at the boy the best he could the entire time. Shuddering, he jumped back to the floor and walked away from the offensive teenager that kept treating him like some sort of animal, convinced that he could have dried himself without the boy's interference and insult to his dignity.

 


 

Later that same night, the rain had stopped for a while yet Severus was over at the window again, looking out at the darkness below. He glanced into the reflection to see that Harry was busy crossing off a day on a handmade calender that sat above his bed, all leading to to a circled “September 1st”.

Severus remember doing the exact same thing many years ago, though he suspected it wasn't entirely uncommon.

Petunia hadn't called Harry down to make dinner, in fact the entire existence of the meal was ignored entirely by the boy who also wasn't given anything to eat. Severus heard Harry's stomach growl a moment ago, so he knew the boy was hungry but probably didn't want to risk going downstairs to ask for something to eat.

'Do you have a family, Sev?' Harry asked the cat, who had finally decided to rejoin him on the bed again. When the creature shook his head, Harry felt sad for it as well.'Oh. Me neither. I mean, I live here with my aunt and all, but they're not really family.' He sighed and pulled out his photo album again.

'I wish mum or dad were here.' Harry whispered, tracing the outline of a family picture with his finger.

Shivering from the cold, he put the album back into hiding in his floorboards before he lay under his thin sheets. Curled up on his side and facing the wall, Harry shivered again and fell silent apart from the chattering of his teeth.

Feeling sympathetic, Severus moved closer and allowed the boy to not “cuddle” him but hold him close so they could share body warmth. There was something about this bedroom that made it feel colder than the rest of the house, and the pathetic amount of blankets the child had likely didn't help.

Without a warm shower to wash away the temperature-decreasing mud and water, Severus was not surprised that the Gryffindor was pale and shivering.

-- 

After four hours of staying like that, Harry finally fell asleep long after the rest of the house members had tucked themselves into the warm, soft beds.

Severus could not sleep because he was actively thinking about the new perspective he had gained regarding Harry Potter and he did not like it at all. Once he had been nothing more than a spoiled Potter clone, and now...

'No...' Harry groaned as he flinched in his sleep, pulling Severus from his thoughts. 'Mummy...'

Severus swallowed and looked at the boy lying so close to him. Potter would have turned three shades of embarrassed red if he ever knew he'd whispered “mummy” in the presence of Professor Snape, and normally such a thing would amuse said man.

However, it instead made Severus dreadfully sad that the orphaned boy missed his mother. Lily. It was an interesting fact though, that during a cold night Harry would talk in his sleep. Another thing he got from the emerald-eyed, redhead woman he was currently missing yet never got to really know.

You are her son, more than just by blood and by inheriting her eyes, after all. However small and otherwise unnoticed, the traits are there.

'Properties of moonstone...bezoar...hide the dragon...' Harry mumbled as he rolled onto his back, not quite as freezing as was before he had fallen asleep.

And he dreams of potions...wait, what did he say?

Severus glared at the sleeping twelve-year-old and hoped that it had only been dream that caused such a phrase. Recalling that the boy was friends with Hagrid, Severus tried hard not to ponder on what a first year might have to do with a dragon and the act of concealing such a creature.

'Snape...' Harry's words were almost muffled by his pillow now. 'I dunno know, sir....'

It is going to be a long night, Potter. What further torture must I endure in this retched household? I almost wish Black would show up so I can be finished with the pair of you!

 


 

It was still at least half an hour before sunrise and the rain clouds had drifted away entirely. The house at Privet Drive Number Four was quiet and still as the light began to fill the corridors and rooms enough to allow the only awake member to seen clearly.

Severus had left Harry's room, using a little magic to open the door, and wandered cautiously about the house, trying to find more clues about the boy and his life.

The house was unnaturally clean and not a single piece of evidence showed anywhere that more than one boy lived in that household. In addition to none of Harry, there were also no photographs of Lily or Petunia's parents either. Harry's aunt appeared to have erased that entire part of her own family tree. The boy really knew so little about his own mother.

He still didn't like the brat, but Severus was beginning to understand him a little more as his judgements were altered. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Not too pleased with this chapter but an update was due. Please review!
A Not-So-Cheerful Birthday by watercrystals

Severus growled mutely in a very non-catlike manner as he glanced over at the emerald-eyed Potter.

The boy was sitting up in his bed with a sheet over his head, reading a book with the aide of a battered yet operational torch, since the batteries appeared to be functional even if they had been dug out of a dusty drawer.

Despite how much he may claim to loathe Harry Potter, Severus was not unfamiliar with what day it would be tomorrow. The 31st of July. Had he really been in this infernal household with the annoying brat and even more irritating relatives for that long?

A usual glare set on his features, Severus dug his paw at the blankets until he could slip his head underneath them and crawled beside the boy until he was sitting near his shoulder. Looking down at the book, he noticed that it was a Transfiguration textbook. Beside him were two more textbooks for Charms and Potions. This didn't make sense to Severus as he could not understand why the boy would be staying up at night (it had recently turned 11:30pm, judging by the boy's watch), to read his school textbooks.

'Sev.' Harry glanced at him with surprise. 'Sorry, I almost forgot you were here.' He blushed and smiled at the feline as he removed the sheet over their heads and switched off his torch.

Raising a hand, he gently brushed it over the cat's head and back, though his gaze had drifted towards the window, which had been left open despite letting in the cool night breeze.

Severus was suspicious as he watched the brat shift through a drawer and pull out a mirror large enough to show all of his face, and a pair of scissors. Inching away in case Harry had ill-intentions, Severus sat at the end of the bed to observe what the Gryffindor was up to, though it appeared as though he was examining his own hair.

Sensing trouble, the cat lunged forward and grabbed the scissors with his mouth before he dove out of sight under the bed, not trusting the disaster-prone child to give himself a haircut.

'Hey!' Harry hissed and crawled on the floor towards the bed, trying to get the scissors back but had been bitten by the cat. 'Ouch! Seven, give that back.' He recoiled his hand and complained. 'I need those. C'mon, I've done this before...I'll be careful, okay?'

Harry jumped back and nearly smacked his head on the underside of his bed when the cat emerged from the shadows and marched out from under the bed. He had left the scissors behind, therefore Harry had to spent several minutes hassling to reach them. Pulling back, with the stolen object in his hand, he glanced over at the black cat and wondered what that had been about.

Shaking his head, Harry moved back to the bed and watched the creature carefully when it jumped up to sit beside him.

As the Gryffindor slid onto the wooden floor and propped the mirror up against his knees, Severus observed carefully as strands of hair were cut with the scissors and littered the space around Harry.

-- 

With five minutes until midnight, Harry stood in front of his full-length mirror with an accomplished grin on his face, admiring his shortened and spikier hair. He had grown sick of how his hair had been before and wanted to try something new. In preparation for becoming a teenager, he thought it was not only fitting but also an excellent way to pass the time.

'What do you think?' He spun around and asked the cat, still careful to keep his voice low as it was almost midnight.

Atrocious. I think you look ridiculous.

Severus glared at Harry, though he hadn't failed to notice the way the boy was careful to hide his lightning bolt scar on his forehead, whereas he had shown little concern with the rest of his hair. He had to admit, though only to himself, that Harry hadn't done too bad a job really. He did look a bit different, as expected, yet also more like the teenager he was about to become...something Severus dreaded immeasurably.

He was convinced that no matter how troublesome magical children (or any in general, really) may be...teenage wizards were always worse.

'Sixty seconds to go!' Harry's eager tone brought Severus from his grumblings as he looked over at the boy, who was now staring at his watch and constantly glanced towards the window.

Anxious and curious, Severus watched the window as well, wondering what the boy was up to and how it was going to bode ill for the disguised professor who was forced to be in his company.

As an alarm went off on Harry's mended watch, the newly-thirteen Gryffindor quieted it instantly and then hurried to his window, peering at the sky expectantly. Severus soon realised why as he dove under the bed to shield himself from the onslaught of owls with packages.

If even one of those were from Hagrid then Severus had no intention of being near it.

-- 

After many minutes of hiding, Severus cautiously emerged and paused to watch the teenager unwrap gifts, foods and cards. He shifted closer and wasn't sure what he thought or felt about the scene before him. The delight in Harry's eyes was uncommonly sighted by the professor and it seemed all-too-familiar.

Those eyes had never looked so Lily-like, to him, at least.

When all the gifts had been unwrapped, cards read, and a sample of the food tasted (apart from the one from Hagrid, of course), the boy yawned and stashed his presents under his secret floorboard and headed off to bed with a smile on his face.

Severus jumped onto the bed and walked towards where the boy was sleeping. With a lot of effort and determination, he pulled out a book from under the boy's pillow with mostly his teeth. Sighing, he used his paws to flip the pages until he was hit with the image of Lily.

Swallowing, he turned another page and looked down at the grinning three Gryffindors. It was Potter with his two friends on either side; Granger and Weasley...the bookworm and the redhead. Severus looked from the picture of the eleven-year-old boy to the slumbering thirteen-year-old.

They seemed like two different people.

--

Harry had woken at his usual time, with the nagging knocks of Petunia's knuckles against his door, and had proceeded to make breakfast and do his chores as though it was any other day of the week. It confused Severus. The Dursleys hadn't even blinked in acknowledgement of the boy's big “thirteenth birthday”, nor did they appear to notice that the boy had given himself a haircut in celebration of the event. For a moment, Severus actually had to check that he hadn't gotten the date wrong because he'd somehow slept through it and skipped the event entirely.

Not that he would have minded.

After nibbling a piece of toast and barely-edible slice of cheese for lunch, Harry ventured into the backyard to sit outside in the sunshine. With a sigh, he looked down at the cat beside him and smiled, though there was sadness in his eyes.

'I'm a teenager now.' He realised. 'Wow, it doesn't feel like it...I mean, it came so fast! It's just weird, really.' Harry conversed with his cat as he looked around and finished his pathetic little meal. Though he didn't seem too hungry, likely because he had eaten some of his food he'd received the night before.

It wasn't exactly healthy, yet at least he was eating more than the Dursleys allowed him to.

'It's still a month away.' Harry sighed miserably. 'But at least I'll be on my way back to school this time next month. I miss my friends, the magic...' He glanced around cautiously when he said that word, as if he was expecting the Dursleys to start yelling about it and punish him for such a thing.

'Bloody hell, I even almost miss Malfoy and Snape!' Harry chuckled as though it was a joke instead.

Severus was not amused.

'Though, to be honest...I think I would prefer to be around them than this lot. At least I can get away from them and be with my friends and magic once the round of insults are finished...but here, it's nothing. There's no escape.' He frowned and lowered his gaze. 'And with Aunt Marge coming in a few weeks...urgh.'

Slowly, the teenager looked over at his cat and smiled in a way that he would never direct at who the creature really was. For a moment he had actually started Severus.

'I'm glad you're here, though.' Harry confided. 'You're...well, you're different. Not because you're a cat but...' He pondered on the right words. 'I can tell when you're listening...you look at me with that stare and you hardly move. I've tried to talk to people before, like teachers at my Muggle school, then my friends. I know Ron and Hermione care about me and they do hear me out, yet somehow it's not the same. They hear me but...they don't listen, not like you do...if that makes any sense.'

Hardly. However, simply because I am able to follow your senseless rambling does not mean I am listening to you, brat! Not really, though it would be unwise to ignore your words, given our current situation.

'You don't have an owner, do you, Sev?' Harry asked and glanced over at the cat when the creature shook his head. 'A family?' Another shake of the feline's head actually made the Gryffindor a little sad. 'We're not so different then.' He whispered to himself and looked over across the yard again, seemingly lost to his own thoughts.

When the emerald eyes filled with tears, Severus jumped onto the boy's lap, which startled Harry enough to look at him. Meeting gazes, Severus searched the surface of the saddened boy's mind to discover what had him in such an emotional state...

-- 

Harry at about five or six years old was sitting huddled on his campbed in the cupboard under the stairs. His arms were wrapped around his knees as he sniffled and stared at a few things in front of him. There was a pinecone, a bright green leaf and a shiny, round rock that had been cleaned.

'This is from my mummy.' Little Harry said to himself as he touched the pinecone. 'This is from my daddy.' He rubbed his fingertips over the rock. 'And this is from my best friend.' He lifted the leaf and tried to smile at the way the light touched its surface.

'They love me very much.' Harry sniffled again. 'I'm five today. I'm a big boy now and they got me presents, made me a cake and lots of cuddles.' He glanced towards the closed door as a tear slid down his cheek.

'My aunt and uncle didn't. They don't love me and Dudley wrecked my shirt.' Little Harry glanced down at his shirt, which was torn at the hem and a speck of blood from Harry's lip had dripped there...

--

Severus pulled out of the memory and forced his gaze away from the boy. He cursed his curiosity and wished he hadn't seen that. But he could not deny how it made him feel. A small child so absent of love on his own birthday that he had collected three items from outside to pretend they were gifts from someone who cared about him and the fact that he had turned a year older.

Looking up at the sad teenager the five-year-old had grown into, Severus felt guilty for being so harsh to him in the past. Not much, as he believed it was justified on accounts, yet it was harder to ignore the remorse after seeing such a glimpse into how miserable and lonely the unloved orphan truly was.

But what could he do?

Severus was a cat and therefore how could he improve anything in this moment when he didn't even have hands, a wand or even a voice to remind the Gryffindor that he still had friends who missed him and sent him gifts on his birthday. Lily had once told him that cats were creatures of comfort just as dogs were, that children often sought their company over people because they didn't speak and were merely soft, while seeming to understand the pain their companions endured.

Sighing inaudibly, Severus nudged Harry with his paw to get the brat's attention.

When the emerald eyes focused on his form, Severus rubbed his head against the boy's hand as though seeking a pat. A tiny smile formed on Harry's face as he rubbed his hand over the head and back of the black cat as he had moments earlier. He seemed to calm with the motion and drew the cat closer, almost as if he was contemplating cuddling it.

Severus was thankful when Harry chose not to do such a thing.

'Thanks, Seven.' Harry smiled and brushed tears from his eyes with his free hand. 'I'm glad I have you here. You're a good friend, even for a cat.'

A friend? I have done so little and said nothing...yet you deem a cat who simply tolerates your rambling and sentimentality to be your friend? And me...of all people? I don't deserve it, Harry. I do not deserve your kindness nor friendship.

Though...if the roles were reversed, I would dare say that you may deserve mine.

'Potter!' Petunia's screech interrupted the moment. Harry was startled and instead of dropping the cat, clung to him instead, as though he was fearful of losing him.

'Yes, Aunt Petunia?' Harry replied dutifully once he had calmed from his shock. 'Am I to wash up and go to my room now?'

'Hurry up.' Petunia nodded.

Severus remembered this. The Muggles had a guest dropping by for an hour or so and Harry had been told to be in his room the entire time.

He jumped off the teenager's lap and followed the Gryffindor inside. Sitting nearby to smugly make Petunia uncomfortable while still keeping and eye on the boy, Severus waited until Harry was done before he made a move towards the stairs. They were halted by Vernon, who had just come downstairs wearing an ugly tie and expensive suit. Dudley appeared to be similar, while Petunia was removing her apron to reveal a nice dress underneath, which the others had taken little notice of until this moment.

'Boy?' Vernon glared at Harry. 'Do you remember what you'll be doing when Mr Gordons arrives?'

Severus, not recalling such tasks, looked up at Harry and noted the stiff back, steeled yet angered and sad expression, which was entirely contradicted by his obedient and dull tone that accompanied such.

'Yes, Uncle Vernon.' Harry replied dutifully. 'I'll in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending I don't exist.'

'Right you are.' Vernon nodded with approval. 'And take that beastly thing with you.' He glared at the feline.

'Yes, Uncle Vernon.'

Harry picked up Seven and headed to his room as instructed, even if the company was yet to arrive. Sometimes it was better to do as he was told sooner rather than wait for them to start yelling about it.Things seemed to run a little smoother for all when he did that.

Chewing on a piece of birthday cake sent to him by Molly Weasley the night before, Harry sat on his bed and didn't seem to mind the fact that he wasn't included downstairs as he was either used to it or hadn't really wanted to be involved anyway. Since he would likely act as some sort of waiter or cleaner if he had been, Harry was quite content to just sit up in his room and ignore what went on downstairs as he enjoyed some solitude with his cat friend, Seven.

'At least I don't have to pretend with you, Sev.' Harry smiled.

'Not only do I exist, but I don't have to be some sort of hero either. I'm not just “boy” or even the “Boy Who Lived”. I'm not “Potter” or “freak”...I'm just Harry. You don't expect me to know tons of magic, to be some sort of house-elf, to remember loads of stuff from a book, to save everyone from an evil wizard, or anything like that. You don't care who I am. I can just be Harry.' The teenager reached over and brushed his hand over the cat's head.

'Thank you, Sev...it's nice knowing that I have a friend like you.'

Severus swallowed nervously and inched away, moving to sit on the end of the bed and away from the Gryffindor who had just turned thirteen as the would-be brat read over his school textbooks once again. His mind shifted from the scene and Severus found himself falling into one of his own memories as they waited for the time to pass before they could go back outside again and return to usual habits.

--

'Please don't be sad, Lily.' Ten-year-old Severus said.

He crouched in front of his friend who was sitting on a swing with her head bent low. He offered her a flower he had picked nearby. It was a dull white and the petals a little bent, but he didn't notice as he hoped it would make her smile.

'But she hates me!' Lily sniffed. 'Tuney hates me.'

'No one could hate you.' Severus told her and nudged her shoulder.

She glanced up at him with teary emerald eyes, which soon landed on the sight of the flower. Brushing the tears away, she left the swing with a budding smile and accepted the offered object as though it was a bright and wonderful rose.

'Thank you, Sev.' Lily said and wrapped her arms around him in a hug, which startled the boy though he didn't pull away. 'I'm glad I have you as my friend. And we'll be friends forever...I just know it!' She stepped back and flashed him a happy smile, which caused a blush to colour his cheeks.

'You're always there for me, Sev.' Lily said. 'You're my best friend.'

'You're mine too, Lily.' Severus said with embarrassment, though a small smile played across his face as well. 'And I'll never stop being your friend..Always.'

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please send a review and let me know what you thought of this chapter. Sorry it was a little shorter than usual ,will try to make up for it next chapter. If you have any suggestions for these pair, such as moments you'd like to see, please share them also.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2500