The Death Eater & The Rat by etherian
Summary: This is the last of the Snape Family adventures begun in Harry Potter's Second Chance. The last in the Second Chance series. If you have not read the other stories before this, you will feel lost.

The real summary: The question of whether or not Harry becomes a big brother is not as simple as one would wish. In between that time an old friend, very much changed is found, and Severus & Echo rescue another.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Lucius, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 133865 Read: 98406 Published: 08 Apr 2011 Updated: 10 Apr 2011
Chapter 22 by etherian

Harry had come to the conclusion that after the novelty had worn off, babies weren't all that interesting. In fact, they could be sort of... icky.

Harry was proud to tell everyone who would listen that Nikolas belonged to him and was his little brother. He volunteered to help with everything and life would have been good for the two brothers until the first nappie needed changing. Feeling sick, Harry had run from the nursery and hid in the library. Severus weathered through the change, but was escorted, later, by Dobby to the library where Harry still was. Dobby's nose was plugged by a wooden clothespin.

It was then that Severus decided they needed another house elf with nanny talents. He had tried to talk to Dobby about adding the care of Nikolas and a pay raise to the free elf's work, but Dobby was adamant - he didn't do nappies.

The other problem with the baby was that Nikolas woke everybody at night. Lucius had secured his room and Sophie's with a silencing spell, so they got to sleep at night. Harry, Tabitha, Severus, and even Echo were looking a bit ragged by the end of the first week.

On Saturday, Harry, cranky from a lack of proper sleep, snatched the last piece of cinnamon toast from Tabitha at the breakfast table.

"Give me that back!" snapped Tabitha.

"You don't need it!" growled Harry as he ripped a corner off with his teeth and chewed. "You're fat!"

Tabitha kicked Harry's shin under the table and before Severus or Lucius could intervene, the two children were under the breakfast table wrestling like little manticores. Severus had to levitate the table while Lucius grabbed the two wretches and parted them. Once the table was back in place, Severus dragged them both into the library and gave them each fifteen minutes in the corner.

Severus returned wearily and dropped into his chair at the table and picked up his half-empty coffee cup.

"You haven't made any progress in finding a nanny house elf, have you?" asked Lucius.

"There are plenty of bonded house elfs I could buy, but Echo is clear that she doesn't want a bonded house elf in the house. Finding a free house elf whose specialty is in childcare has been... difficult."

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

Severus glared and then shouted, "Quiet! Or I'll make certain neither of you can sit for the rest of the day!"

In the library, Tabitha leaned towards the opposite corner where Harry stood. "Does your dad spank you?" she asked worriedly.

"Sometimes," Harry shrugged. "But I usually have to do something really stupid or really bad for him to spank me. He's just sayin' it."

"Your dad can be kinda scary sometimes, Harry," she said into the corner.

"Draco and Hermione told me that he was real scary when he was teaching. That was because most of the kids were dunderheads and didn't really understand that they were messin' with things that could blow up. One student, Neville Longbottom, just never read stuff, an' dad says he never prepared for class. Then, he'd get so nervous, he'd always be blowin' up something!"

"Maybe your dad made him nervous," Tabitha speculated.

"Well, that's what Hermione said, but dad explained that Neville was nervous about lots of things. He messed up in all of his classes, except for the plant classes. So, dad told Hermione that he wasn't easy on Neville because he had to get over his nerves or he'd really hurt himself someday. An' you need potions if you're going to be an... ah plantolologist."

"Herbalogist, Harry," Tabitha corrected gently.

"That, too." Harry kicked his foot against the corner for a few seconds, then asked, "Are you really scared of my dad, Tabby?"

"I was. At first. But, he was really nice to me when I had the nightmare before Niko was born. And, even though the baby takes up a lot of your mum's time, your dad's taken time to talk to me about my nightmares." Tabitha sighed. "He's a really good dad, Harry."

"Although I am glad to see that you two are no longer arguing, I did say you had to be quiet," came the silken voice of the Potions Master standing in the doorway to the library.

"Are you gonna spank us, dad?" asked Harry as his hands went protectively to his backside.

"No, but I will have you help prepare some ingredients for a few hours. A crate of flat-toed frogs just arrived. Come along." He smirked at the sparkle in his son's eyes. Harry never really became squicked over gross potion ingredients and he also looked forward to any lessons his father might impart about the use of the ingredients in potions. Tabitha, on the other hand, appeared as though she'd much prefer a spanking as she followed behind Harry.


Lucius was working on a large cauldron of Wart Freeze for the Durmstrang Academy hospital. He didn't look up as he dropped in stalks of snowbell.

Severus ushered the two children over to a workstation where the dead frogs waited. They had been preserved in a solution of Amber Extract and bottled in cork sealed bottles that held about ten frogs each.

"Dragon-hide gloves," reminded Severus and his two assistants dutifully put on their gloves. "One of you will be in charge of extracting the frogs from the jar, one at a time. Who will it be?" Harry raised his hand and grinned. "Tongs, then, Harry. Good boy. Now, pick up a frog in the tongs, shake... gently, son! That's better. You want as much of the solution to remain in the jar as possible."

"Like that, dad?" asked Harry as he held up one frog by its leg.

"Like that. Now, place it upon the silver tray. If you happen to drop it onto the tabletop, put it in that jar over there. I'm going to be using the frogs in several different Heart Healing remedies, and it is important that everything the frog touches is either silver, or dragon-hide."

"Is the silver part of the magic, sir?" asked Tabitha, interested despite the frog that now lay upon the silver tray.

"Many ingredients require specific preparation depending upon the potion they'll be used in. Any potion having to do with healing the heart, for instance, requires that the ingredients are infused with silver during the preparation process."

Severus then showed them how to extract the liver, the heart, and lastly the tongue. Tabitha gagged and turned away, feeling like she was about to lose her breakfast. The Potions Master motioned for his son to continue and then turned his attention to Tabitha.

He crouched down in front of Tabitha. "Is it the odour or the sight?" he asked.

Tabitha grimaced, "Sort of the smell, but that's not real terrible. It's just... cutting into the poor frog sounds kinda squishy, crunchy, icky." She shuddered.

"Well, I can give you some earplugs, but I think you'd do better if you tried to ignore it." Tabitha gave him an absolutely anguished look. "Or, think of this. The first potion that I'll be brewing will utilise the heart of the flat-toed frog. It is an important ingredient in Heart Strengthener which helps patients that suffered from a heart attack. It prevents the need for invasive magical surgery, and helps a great deal in preventing future heart attacks in older patients."

Tabitha nodded slowly. "Okay. That's really kind of good. What are the liver and tongue used for?"

"The liver is used in a Blood Thinning Potion that is usually taken by older patients to help in keeping the blood flowing smoothly in the arteries and also helps to strengthen the heart." Severus rose to his feet, unfolding his tall frame from the crouch it had been in. Taking Tabitha by the shoulders, her turned her to face the table again. "As for the tongue, that is used in a tincture made just for children who have any of the childhood diseases such as Dragon Pox to protect the heart during recovery from the illness."

Harry looked up from the frog he was carefully eviscerating, "Hey! Did I have that frog stuff for my heart when I had Dragon Pox, dad?"

Severus smiled down at his son. "You did, Harry. And your heart is very healthy, isn't it?"

"Yep! I can run faster than Fawkes can fly." Harry shoved the silver try over to Tabitha. "Go on, Tabby. It's kinda gross, at first, but like dad says, when you think about all the witches, and wizards, and kids like you and me that are going to be helped by the potions dad brews, then it's not so bad."

Tabitha took a deep breath, then grasped her silver knife. A grimace remained on her face until she finally extracted the heart, liver, and tongue, perfectly. She let out a deep sigh and looked up at Severus. He smiled upon her with approval and Tabitha beamed with pride.


Echo had slept, as much as was possible with her new son in the house, but even so, he took up a great deal of time. Time that Echo didn't mind giving to him. She was in her parlor with Nikolas and had just finished feeding him. Lifting the small boy to her shoulder she patted his back to burp him and aid his digestion. At that moment the fireplace roared to life with green flames and a very official looking document floated out and then drifted to the hearth.

Echo held her son securely with one arm and with a flick of her hand the document jumped up into her hand. She struggled for a moment in breaking the seal, and then she was finally able to read the letter. After several minutes, Echo gripped the letter tightly and called for Dobby.

"Yes, Mistress Madame? What may Dobby do for you?" The house elf playfully waggled his long fingers at Nikolas.

"Dobby, please tell my husband to meet me up here and watch over Harry and Tabitha for him."

Dobby nodded and popped out. Nikolas, who had been about to sleep, wailed at the unexpected noise. Echo bounced the baby gently, soothing away his fear.

Severus arrived at a half run into the parlor. Even though Dobby had assured him that his wife and son were fine, he quickly looked over Nikolas who was snoozing against his mother's shoulder.

"Echo? Is something wrong?" he asked.

Echo didn't say anything. She just held up the letter. Severus unfolded it and began to read.

Mr. & Mrs. Snape,

Allow me to first congratulate you upon your newest addition and I do hope that mother and child are well.

Now, onto the business at hand. Tabitha Lockhart, aka Rat Lockhart. We have examined her homelife and have found that Lord & Lady Lockhart are, indeed, guilty of extreme neglect and abuse. They did not even realise that their daughter had run away and were more concerned that their house elf had vanished. We will need to get a statement from the daughter in order to wrap up our investigation.

As to your fostering request, it has been denied since Tabitha does have an uncle who can care for her, Gilderoy Lockhart. He was recently discharged from St. Mungos and has a nice cottage on the outskirts of Hogsmeade. He also is earning a respectable income from writing children's books.

WCS will be arriving at Fairwinds on the 23rd to pick up Tabitha for her uncle.

Sincerely,
Annabelle Doloren

Severus crushed the letter in his hand. "They can't be serious," he intoned darkly. "That imbecile was barely competent to teach children before his accident with Mr. Weasley's broken wand! How in the world do they think he's even competent now?"

"Gilderoy has a right to her, though," Echo interjected quietly.

"Does he?" snapped Severus a bit too harshly. His sharp voice woke Nikolas who cried softly. The Potions Master didn't think twice as he leaned over to pick up his son from Echo to soothe him. Patting the little baby's back, he spoke in a more subdued, but slightly hissing tone, "Just because the wizard is her only family doesn't mean he has a right to her. I'll speak to Albus about this. I am not willing to let Tabitha go unless Gilderoy truly wants his niece, is able to provide for her, and Tabitha wants to be with him."

Echo caught a flash of her husband's dark eyes and was able to perceive the pain that reflected her own. They had both become very attached to the intelligent, sweet girl.


Severus sat across from his surrogate father, the Headmaster of Hogwarts who was wearing a light summer robe of pale green with fluttering yellow butterflies upon it. Most of his loose paperwork was held down by one of the many magical thingamabobs in the office or Sticking Spells since a nice breeze was wafting in through the four narrow windows of Albus' tower office.

The Headmaster had just finished reading the letter from the Wizarding Childrens Services and he handed it back.

"That idiot cannot take care of a child like Tabitha!" declared Severus.

"As much as I am pleased to hear that Gilderoy is back on the road to recovery, I must agree with you, my boy. Gilderoy is still in quite a fragile state and he may not entirely realise what he'll be taking on. That is, if Madame Doloren of WCS has actually spoken with him." Albus snatched a piece of parchment out of the air that had been caught by the breeze.

Severus frowned sharply. "Why wouldn't they have spoken to Lockhart?" he demanded.

"The WCS is an august body, but it is an august body of government. Specifically, our dear Ministry. Even in the WCS the right hand may not know what the left is up to." Albus blew a bit of his loose beard out of his mouth that a breeze had carried. His eyes were twinkling madly. "I rather think a visit to dear Gilderoy is in order, my boy. However, no confronting him, as I do believe he's quite innocent of this entire mess. Tabitha gets along with her uncle, doesn't she?"

"She apparently escaped a few times to visit him when he was still in St. Mungos when she discovered his existence. Echo tells me that Tabitha is fond of him, but considers him a bit... odd."

"Does she indeed," mused the old man and Severus scowled.

"What are you thinking of, Albus?" asked the Potions Master suspiciously.

"Many things, dear boy, many things. However, you have a week until Madame Doloren arrives upon your doorstep, so I think you ought to take Tabitha to visit her uncle as soon as possible." The Headmaster smiled and snatched at another wayward piece of parchment and then took up his quill.

Severus, used to the older wizard's vagaries, knew he had been dismissed. He also knew he had been assigned a mission: to visit Gilderoy Lockhart.


Gilderoy Lockhart had a very ordered existence in his new, little cottage near Hogsmeade. Two house elfs watched over him and helped with meals, the shopping, and keeping the cottage clean. He was able to work on his garden, read, and write for a few hours a day. He'd become a rather inventive writer of children's stories beloved by many little witches and wizards. Those that remembered the once pompous wizard who had stolen the memories of good witches and wizards and attributed their exploits to himself, tended to prefer this quieter, rather child-like man.

Gilderoy had promptly risen at 8am to bathe and to dress himself. Ixnay, the female elf of the two house elfs, nodded her approval of his outfit of sky blue robes, a black cravat over a white linen shirt, and trousers that matched the robes.

"No gardening today?" he asked Ixnay with a lilt of disappointment in his tone.

"Master is seeing niece today. No gardening," she gently reminded.

"Would my niece like to garden?" he asked hopefully.

"Ixnay thinks Master should show garden to guests," replied the house elf.

Gilderoy beamed and patted his cravat. "The garden is particularly nice this time of year."

"Breakfast, Master." The elf smiled indulgently at the still youthful looking wizard.

Gilderoy Lockhart's blue eyes brightened. "Butter pecan pancakes?" he asked.

"Master's favourite," she replied.

"Capitol!" he clapped his hands together and strode from his bedroom.

Tabitha was excited to be going to visit her uncle and could barely manage to sit still through breakfast. The evening before, Echo and Severus had explained what was decided by WCS.

"They're idiots," she said with a shrug. Tabitha was holding little Nikolas in her arms. The baby fascinated her and whenever Echo would allow it, she would hold the baby or put him down for a nap.

"That they are," Severus agreed with a slight smirk. "Nevertheless, as long as they consider Gilderoy Lockhart your most competent guardian, we have no choice but to comply with their instructions."

"Sir, I love my uncle, but he can't take care of me," Tabitha sighed.

Severus touched her shoulder and spoke firmly, "There is nothing to worry about, child. We will make certain of this."

Tabitha smiled up at the Potions Master. She'd never said so, but she was hoping she could stay with the Snapes forever. She had quickly fallen in love with Echo, for they seemed so much alike. It had taken her a bit longer with Severus as he had seemed a bit scary, always wearing black. However, he was so relaxed with Harry, and Sophie. Tabitha liked it when the two children would make him laugh.

Then, there were those times when Severus would answer Tabitha's many questions when she was in the library. He was very clever, and often made her look for the answers, or ask her questions that made her think. When he explained things, he was thorough, and often quizzed her later.

Finally, she couldn't forget how he had held her after her nightmare. Since bringing Nikolas home, she had had other nightmares, and as tired as he must be, it seemed that Severus was always there to keep her safe.

Tabitha loved her Uncle Gilderoy, but she loved Echo, Severus, Harry, and Nikolas, too.

Tabitha and Severus first Apparated to The Leaky Cauldron. From there they took the Floo directly to Lockhart's cottage. They were met at the Floo by Gilderoy himself, and his two house elfs, Ixnay and Lorre.

Gilderoy enthusiastically hugged his niece and then had her spin round so he could see that she looked well. He then focused his attention on Severus. The tall wizard unnerved him and Gilderoy frowned through his faint smile. He didn't think he'd be brave enough to shake the man's hand, and so he clasped his hands tightly behind his back.

"So you're Severus Snape," declared Gilderoy. Severus gave him a short nod of his head as his dark gaze unabashedly assessed the other wizard. He did not see Lockhart's wand and wondered if Albus was still in possession of it. After Fawkes had rescued the adventurers, Ron Weasley had handed the white birch wand over to Dumbledore and Severus could not recall having seen it after that.

Gilderoy finally did frown fully. Upon saying Severus' name, an old memory ghosted past his more secure, new ones, and caused him to shiver in apprehension.

"You don't like me," he muttered, utterly hurt by the emotion that welled up from the still lost memory.

Severus really hadn't liked Gilderoy Lockhart. On many occasions he had called the wizard, pompous, an arse, a gilded twit, imbecile, addlepated, and many others that weren't as nice as those.

"I didn't," Severus corrected mildly. "I haven't an opinion now, as I do not know how much you've changed from the wizard I once knew."

"Oh! Very much, Mr. Snape, I assure you! I've heard some of the tales and I've read those books they say I wrote. Atrocious! Absolute trash, they were!" His cheeks coloured darkly. "And, the terrible things I did... oh, Mr. Snape, you were right to dislike me. Had I known me, I would have, too." Gilderoy then clapped his hands together, once, and looked down at his neice. "Come, niece! I'd like to show you my garden."

Tabitha took her uncle's extended hand and then glanced over her shoulder at Severus. "Sir, are you coming?"

"You are invited," encouraged Gilderoy.

"I'll join you both momentarily. If I may, I'd like to speak to your elfs?" Severus asked lightly, not showing that he had discerned that the house elfs were in charge of more than the small cottage.

"Of course! Niece and I..."

"Tabitha," she interrupted, to correct her uncle.

"Tabitha?" Gilderoy asked politely. Tabitha nodded. "I do like that. So much better than Rat. Come along, Tabitha!"

Once Tabitha and Gilderoy were gone, Severus looked down at the two house elfs that were calmly watching him.

"He's rather child-like, isn't he," observed Severus as he looked over the two elfs.

Ixnay nodded. "Master Gilderoy is an innocent."

"Can he perform magic?"

It was Lorre who shook his head. "Master is no having a wand and is not allowed. We is protecting him from hurting himself. Master's magic is too wild."

"Accidental magic, then?"

Ixnay shook her head. "Is full grown magic, sir. Lorre and Ixnay have elf magic to keep Master's magic safe."

Severus tapped his chin with a slim finger. "Is he in any shape to take care of a ten year old child?"

Lorre and Ixnay glanced at each other. They then both shook their heads, slightly puzzled. Ixnay spoke up, "Master Gilderoy is like child, sir. Is Master to be taking care of a child?"

"Tabitha," he replied. "The Wizarding Child Services is under the impression that now that Lockhart has been released from St. Mungos that he is competent to raise his niece."

Lorre became agitated, muttering "no, no," under his breath before popping away. Before Severus could ask what was going on, the house elf appeared and shoved a stiff parchment at him. "Master Gilderoy's schedule."

Severus looked down at the parchment. A first scan did show that it was a schedule. As he took a longer look, he realised that this schedule regimented every hour of Gilderoy Lockhart's day and night.

Ixnay tapped the parchment, startling Severus from the schedule. He looked up into the earnest eyes. "Master is not deviating from schedule, sir. Master Gilderoy gets upset if schedule is not followed."

For a moment Severus glared at the parchment as he was thinking. As Ixnay was nervously wringing her hands, another question came to mind. "Are you Lockhart's caretakers or his house elfs?"

Lorre grasped both his ears and pulled them down to his cheeks, letting out a squeak. Ixnay glared at Lorre, then replied, "We is charged by Healer Stewart Lethbridge to take care of Master Gilderoy, sir."

Severus nodded, smiling grimly. He was about to ask the elfs something else when Gilderoy and Tabitha both came skipping in from the outside.

Gilderoy laughed heartily and then looked to Severus. "Mr. Snape! I'm so sorry you didn't get to see my beautiful garden, but Tabitha has told me you'll see it next time."

"Yes, I..." to Severus' horror, Gilderoy, still holding Tabitha's hand, grasped his and pulled them both into the parlor.

"It's tea time!" Gilderoy declared pushing them both, none too gently, towards chairs that sat around a small tea table. "I'll play Mother, won't I?" He asked as the tea appeared in the center of the table and he picked up the earthenware pot.

Severus watched as the man he'd once known smiled, happily, like a child as he poured the tea, offered sugar and cream, and then served the little cakes. The man then nattered on blithely about his garden, his stories he was writing, and then about his cottage. Not once did Gilderoy ask Tabitha anything about herself.

As the afternoon wore on, Tabitha, appeared pleased by her uncle's unfettered joy, but it was wearing on her. Severus finally took pity by announcing, "It is time for us to take our leave, Tabitha."

Gilderoy jumped up and took Tabitha's teacup from her hands. "Yes, time to go!" He urged with a smile.

Ixnay appeared with Tabitha's cloak since Severus had never removed his. As soon as Tabitha had her cloak on and buttoned at her neck, Gilderoy gave her an enthusiastic hug and was about to hug Severus when Ixnay caught him by grabbing a handful of his robes. Gilderoy glanced back at the house elf and she shook her head. Gilderoy shook his own head. His shoulders drooped sharply as he tried to remember what to do.

Severus, worried that the man appeared ready to break into tears, took Gilderoy's hand in his and shook it. With a forced smile he declared, "We appreciated your hospitality, Loc... Gilderoy."

Gilderoy beamed in relief and gripped Severus' hand a bit longer than he should have. "Did you? Did you really enjoy yourselves?"

Tabitha intervened and placed her hand on top of Gilderoy's and Severus' linked hands. She smiled up at her uncle. "We really did have a lovely time, Uncle Gilderoy."

Gilderoy let go of Severus hand and beamed down at his niece. He then stretched out his hand and touched her black hair. "You'll come again? Or, even better! You'll write to me? I remember that you write very well. Almost as well as I do."

Tabitha hugged her uncle, squeezing tightly. "I'll write you very long letters, uncle, if you promise to write back."

Gilderoy placed his hand over his heart and spoke solemnly, "A wizard's promise."

With a nod, Severus ushered Tabitha over to the Floo. Gilderoy waved as they vanished, then clapped his hands together. "Ah! Lovely visit, wasn't it?" Humming to himself he wandered off back out to his garden.

An hour later, he had forgotten the visit that morning, but he did remember his promise to reply to all of his niece's letters.


The day before the representative from WCS was to arrive at Fairwinds to take Tabitha away, Severus and Echo were waiting in Annabelle Doloren's office. Although the witch had been notified at least a half hour ago about her visitors, she had yet to arrive.

"I ought to Floo call home," Echo said suddenly, breaking the silence in the small, overly cluttered office.

Severus frowned. "Why? Is something wrong?"

Echo glared mildly. "Our son? You remember Nikolas?"

Severus was completely puzzled as to why his wife appeared concerned. "Of course I do. Lucius is in charge of the children, and he has taken care of two infants, now."

"But what if Nikolas wants his mother?" she sighed softly.

Now Severus understood. He laid a hand over his wife's hand on the arm of the chair. "You haven't had a moment away from Nikolas, have you, Beauty?"

Echo's eyes widened. "No. I haven't. Molly told me this would happen, but I can't help it, Severus. I miss him."

"We'll go straight home once we're finished here," he promised.

There was a moment of quiet and then Echo asked, "Do you miss Nikolas?"

Severus suppressed the slightly aggravated sigh that threatened. He wondered if he'd have to continue to placate his wife as he had during her mood shifts when she was pregnant. "If I could," he replied carefully, "I would spend all of my time with you, Nikolas, Harry, and Tabitha."

Echo smiled happily and Severus did let out the breath he'd been holding. He'd said the right thing.

"Mr. and Mrs. Snape!" A short witch with short brown hair tightly styled in curls that would have been unfashionable in both the Muggle and Wizarding worlds, strode swiftly into the office. She rubbed at her temples. "I'm sorry I took so long, but I was not expecting this report you brought along and your pensieved memory." She clucked her tongue and sat down behind her desk.

"I'm sure you weren't surprised, Madame Doloren," Severus spoke as though the woman before him was as cognizant of Gilderoy Lockhart's situation as he was. "No doubt you've been able to interview Mr. Lockhart and evaluate his homelife?"

Annabelle Doloren pursed her lips together pensively for a moment, then began hesitantly, "Well, as I'm sure you know, Mr. Snape, we are quite under-staffed and with the end of the war, we've just not been able to be ahead in our cases as we'd like."

Severus' own lips thinned as Echo's fist curled closed. The representative had recovered so well, he wondered if she might have been Slytherin.

The woman continued, "I wish I could say we had investigated Mr. Lockhart's situation more in-depth, but we were relying on the report from St. Mungos." She smiled sweetly. Definitely a Slytherin, thought Severus. "However, WCS will need to conduct a formal interview with..." she paused and looked down at an open folder, "ah! With Healer Stewart Lethbridge."

Echo rose partially, and Severus placed a restraining hand upon his wife's wrist. He spoke quietly, but infused his voice with enough venom that Madame Doloren paled sharply. "I assume that this interview will be conducted with alacrity considering that Tabitha is without a guardian?"

The flustered woman collected herself by shuffling through some paperwork before pulling out a rather official looking piece of parchment. "Tabitha Lockhart does have a guardian, as I discovered this morning, Mr. Snape."

Severus' eyebrow rose as he leaned forward to take the parchment from the witch's hand. He only needed to glance at it to see who had been named as Tabitha's temporary guardian.

Madame Doloren spoke before Severus could say anything. "It seems that Albus Dumbledore decided to use a touch of his influence to bear on Miss Lockhart's case." Although she smiled, it was a decidedly sour one.

"Severus, who is her guardian?" asked Echo with a bit of impatience.

He smiled as he showed her the parchment. "We've been named as Tabitha's guardians and are eligible to adopt her once the WCS has completed their interview with Healer Lethbridge."

"Oh, Severus!" she leaned awkwardly sideways in the chair and kissed her husband. "I'm going to make Albus his favorite lemon cheesecake tonight!" Echo rose to her feet, grasped Severus' hand and he followed, but not before he gave Annabelle Doloren a smug look of triumph.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2503