The Death Eater & The Rat by etherian
Summary: This is the last of the Snape Family adventures begun in Harry Potter's Second Chance. The last in the Second Chance series. If you have not read the other stories before this, you will feel lost.

The real summary: The question of whether or not Harry becomes a big brother is not as simple as one would wish. In between that time an old friend, very much changed is found, and Severus & Echo rescue another.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Lucius, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 133865 Read: 98422 Published: 08 Apr 2011 Updated: 10 Apr 2011
Chapter 25 by etherian

While Echo introduced Tippi to Nikolas and the other children, Dobby remained in Severus' study telling the story of how he met Tippi.

"Tippi is being Shop Elf from Elf Market, Master Sir. She is being working for Eggles, but is not being happy in job. Tippi is working for mean Shop Elf who is never nice and is thinking Tippi is NOT free, but bonded House Elf!" Dobby glared roughly, let out a growl, and clenched his thin fists together in anger.

Dobby was pleased that the newest baby in the Snape household was a happy one. Mistress Madame had sent him to fetch a large order of baby things that she and Master Sir hadn't quite anticipated needing before the baby was born.

The Elf Market had all manner of stores to provide for their baby needs. Having once shopped for his Little Master, Draco Malfoy, Dobby knew just where to go.

With confidence he strolled through the labyrinthine streets and the crowd of house elfs on errands for their wizards.

The shop Dobby was looking for had a blue and white front with a sign that had a pair of knitting needles knitting a pair of blue and pink booties. Just as he was about to go in, the door swung roughly open, and something rather hard connected with Dobby's noggin. Swaying, he blinked rapidly until he dropped to the ground on his seat.

"Is you now hurting customers?" Shouted a high, indignant voice that made his head hurt.

"You is not yelling, please," groaned Dobby as he held his head in both hands.

"You is worthless, shiftless, dreamy Shop Elf!" growled a lower, scratchy voice. There came an audible 'oof' and Dobby turned towards the sound to find a young, brown-eyed female beside him. "You is being fired! Today!"

The little Shop Elf dropped her head into her hands and began to weep. Dobby bent slightly over the shorter Shop Elf and patted her back.

"Is boss?" he asked.

She nodded, then shook her head. "I is fired!" she let out a thin wail.

His own lip quivering in sympathy, Dobby gathered the distraught Shop Elf in his arms and patted her back as she wept on his shoulder. Finally, when the tears turned to little sniffles, Dobby pulled away, rummaged in the pocket of his crocheted jacket, and found a linen handkerchief that he gave to the young female.

"You is needing ice cream." he spoke decisively.

She smiled. Then nodded. Wiping her face, she then cast a Cleaning Spell and handed Dobby his handkerchief back. Taking her hand, Dobby led her to a small ice cream shop painted with all the colours of the rainbow.

"Has she found a job since then?" asked Severus.  He knew that since Tippi had been a Shop Elf, that meant she had been born free, and not bonded to any wizarding family.  Hence, she would need to survive by working.

Dobby shook his head. "Tippi is being doing sewing for Lady Witches there and here," he explained. "Tippi is lovely seamstress. Dobby try to find new job in Elf Market for Tippi, but Tippi is being sad and shaking head no." Dobby sighed and pulled one ear. "Tippi is saying she being terrible Shop Elf. She is hating shops, Elf Market, and she is wanting nice wizard home."

"Are you certain she'd be happy here, Dobby?" asked Severus. "I'm guessing that Shop Elfs have a bit more independence than do House Elfs?"

Dobby nodded, dislodging the hats he was wearing that day. Summoning them with silent magic, he twisted the brims between his fingers. "Shop Elfs is all free elfs, Master Sir. They is not always liking magic-kind because House Elfs is not always treated nice. Shop Elfs is believing Bond Magic is being slavery." Dobby shrugged. "Dobby is only knowing for self what Dobby was wanting. Many House Elfs is being happy Bonded." He huffed in a bit of frustration, "Lots of House Elfs is being happy with Bond."

Severus tapped his lower lip, then drummed his fingers on the surface of his study desk. "Tippi doesn't wish to be a Bonded elf, does she?"

"Oh no, Master Sir!" Dobby shook his head back and forth so hard, he made himself slightly dizzy. "Tippi is just wanting to work for wizards, Master Sir. Tippi is having many domestic skills and is knowing how to care for babies, too!" Dobby smiled happily.

"Well, I don't see why she couldn't work here, then. We're certainly in need of an elf nanny to help in taking care of Nikolas," he stated with a slight smirk. "But tell me, Dobby, about this declaration of yours that you want to make Tippi your wife."

Dobby's cheeks coloured a dark shade of crimson as he glanced down at his oddly be-socked feet. He then looked up and spoke solemnly. "Master Sir is much happy with Mistress Madame and Friend Harry. Dobby is seeing Master Sir being more... content... with Daughter Tabitha, Son Nikolas, and even Little Miss Sophie. Dobby is wanting wife and Dobby is wanting little elf boy or girl." A shade of fear crossed his face as he wrung his hands together. "Master Sir is not mad at Dobby, is he? Master Sir is not to be being to forbid...?"

Severus interrupted Dobby by holding up his hand. "Dobby! I have no objection to you getting married, or bonded, or however you elfs conduct that sort of thing. Fairwinds is quite large, and if you desire your own family, I do not foresee any problems. The children would probably be delighted in helping to raise your son or daughter." Severus gave a small smile.

Dobby jumped off the chair, clapped his hands together and let out a happy squeal. To Severus' horror, the small house elf grasped his arm and embraced it. Fortunately for Dobby, he popped out before Severus could hex him.


Tippi settled into the bustle at Fairwinds quite well. Echo, who didn't want Tippi to do everything for Nikolas, was turning the little elf into an assistant. Tippi did take care of changing the nappies, and showed Echo that elfs had a spell that made short work of the disagreeable task.

Tippi also used her very excellent seamstress skills in sewing outfits, and making repairs, for all the childrens clothing. In just a month she had saved both Severus and Lucius a combined amount of 300 galleons on the childrens clothing.

Echo discovered, to her joy, that she actually had more time with her littlest son because Tippi not only took care of the needed changes, but fixed his bottles, and drew his bathwater into his small bathtub. Tippi also took care of shopping for the baby essentials. She was fast becoming an asset to the Fairwinds household.

As for Dobby, he was concentrating more on running Fairwinds. When Echo didn't cook, he prepared the meals, sometimes helped by Harry and/or Tabitha. He kept the larder stocked, kept the main rooms cleaned, and assisted Severus with the gardens.

With the arrival of a new term at Hogwarts, Harry began a new term at Molly Weasley's Primary School. He was joined by Tabitha who, although very intelligent, she'd been all self taught and thus there were large gaps in her Primary schooling. Molly intended to bring the child's knowledge into alignment so she'd be ready next year for Hogwarts.

At Fairwinds, the empty plot of forested land that Severus had given Lucius had been cleared during the summer and prepared for building. It wasn't a huge piece of land, certainly nothing like the lands of the Malfoy estate, but it would provide a yard for Sophie to grow up in, a garden for Lucius to work upon, and a two story, four room Tudor style house that included a library, a study, and a playroom for Sophie.

The magical construction crew had begun building the home on September the first and the new home would be completed by the end of the month.

Meanwhile, Lucius had been getting along very well with Islabelle Ollivander. He had taken tea with her on several occasions and had also escorted her into Muggle London for dinner and a show. She had yet to meet Sophie or Draco, but Lucius planned to introduce her to his son and daughter, and extended family, after the new house was finished.

It wasn't until the end of September that Draco took Harry to Diagon Alley to the Broom Emporium for the promised new broom. It was a store run by the same owners of Quality Quidditch Supplies, but at this store, they had more than just Quidditch brooms.

Once they walked through the double doors, Harry was able to remove the dark glasses that protected his eyes from the sun, and pocketed them. He gasped as he took in the store, which was long (front to back) and narrow. Brooms of all styles, sizes and shapes lined the two walls. Draco and Harry walked down the long aisle as Harry gaped at all the wonderful brooms.

"I bought my last racing broom here," commented Draco.

"You mean the one you raced with in Greece?" asked Harry, clearly recalling the thrilling broom race that Draco had participated in when Severus and Harry had taken their summer on the wizarding Greek isle of Solonus.

"That's the one." Smiled Draco.

A gangly looking wizard intruded upon their conversation, smiling a bit too widely at them. "New broom for your son, sir?"

Harry stifled a giggle. Draco smirked at Harry and nudged his shoulder. "Harry's my little brother," Draco corrected with an indulgent smile towards Harry.

"Nice," commented the salesman. "What might I help you with today?"

"I can't play Quidditch anymore," informed Harry bluntly.

This declaration seemed to strike an actual emotion in the gawky wizard. His mouth dropped into a sad 'O', and he clasped his hands together. "Whyever not? All boys and girls play Quidditch! Why can't you ever play Quidditch again?"

"He fell..." Draco began.

Harry finished, "I fell out of our tree and hit my head real hard. I can't ever let it get hit again or I'll go blind."

"Oh dear! How horribly tragic! You dear little boy!" He slapped his hands to his bony hips. "Well, you certainly cannot play at Hogwarts or professional Quidditch. Neither allow any sort of Cushioning Charms, and oh my, if you were hit with a rogue Bludger, that would just ruin your day!"

Draco, who had been hit with a Bludger, and countless times blind-sided by Beaters and had more than his share of Quidditch related accidents, surprised himself when he asked, "How come the players aren't better protected from accidents?"

The salesman blinked. "Hmm, it is a rough sport, isn't it? Well, other than the fact that the Snitch is no longer a nearly extinct bird, the game has changed very little in all the centuries its been played. Naveed Gordinus instituted the uniforms in the 16th century and it was Hopelight Spinning that introduced the leather helmet in the 18th century. Of course, the helmet isn't really a requirement and there are some teams that would rather play without it."

Draco grimaced. He recalled the leather helmets that Madame Hooch had introduced his last year at Hogwarts. "Those were terrible. You could barely move your head in them. And, I remember Ginny Weasley fell off her broom during one game and the helmet did nothing to keep her from a mild concussion."

"Yes, yes. They really are useless," agreed the salesman. "However, in Little League Quidditch, for youngsters just your age," he smiled tightly at Harry, "And the Old Fogeys League, they use Cushioning Charms and padded uniforms."

Draco frowned. "I've never heard of Little League Quidditch, and I know I've never heard of the Old Fogeys League." He imagined a bunch of 100 year old wizards with long beards flying around playing a pale imitation of Quidditch.

The salesman smiled smugly at knowing something they didn't, "Well! both The Little Leagues and Old Fogeys began in the States and finally made their way over here. The Old Fogeys are just amateur teams of between teenager to adult. Hogsmeade just started their own Old Fogeys two years ago. As for the Little Leagues they're usually started by parents whose children want to play Quidditch. You might see if there's already a League in your neighborhood. Anyway, they have addressed the matter of safety..." he moved down the aisle, waving them to follow. After several feet, he stopped at a section that had brooms lining the wall that were equipped with something that appeared to be seats.

"Little League Masters edition 550. Our most popular broom for Little League flyers. It comes with a seat that has a Sticking Charm. It is spelled so that the broom can never be flown upside down - A Right-Side Up Spell, and a very sophisticated Cushioning Charm that envelops the child the minute he mounts the broom. It's quite marvelous, really. Some Cushioning Charms are just crude and feel more like you're swimming in Bundi-Mallow Cream. This Cushioning Charm allows for fluid movement and adjusts as needed. It's really a magical breakthrough!"

The salesman beamed, almost as though he were talking about his own child, with pride in his voice. He sighed, then continued, "It also comes with a very elegant Levitating Spell that aids in keeping the child from falling."

Harry reached out to touch the broom. The knotted pine wood felt like silk under his fingers. He smiled hopefully at Draco.

"How high can this go?" asked Draco, being the shrewd consumer.

"Regulation for Little League Quidditch games are between 30 and 50 feet. We adjust the Levitating Spell for the height," explained the salesman.

"And they go fast?" asked Harry with a grin.

The salesman gave Harry an indulgent chuckle. "It certainly isn't up to a professional Quidditch brooms' speed, or even a racing broom, but the speed is decent."

Draco veered off the subject of Quidditch suddenly, "What sort of broom would be good just for recreational flying and traveling?"

The salesman didn't like the change of subject. The Quidditch brooms were always the most expensive and he was hoping he hadn't lost a sale after all the information he'd given.

Regaining his false cheer, the salesman led them over to a section of adult and kids brooms. He tapped one. "The Young Flyer's Special. Top of the Line, of course. Cushioning Charms are not included, but today, for you, sir, no charge." The salesman gave Draco an oily sort of smile that made him want to wipe his hands against his robes. "It comes equipped with a Sleep Alarm Charm which notifies any adult flying with the child that the child has fallen asleep. The broom will hover, safely, until the adult collects the sleeping passenger. It's also good for recreational flying, but doesn't have quite the streamlining that the Quidditch and racing brooms have that allow for stunt flying."

"Are there stunt brooms?" Harry piped up.

Draco interrupted. "No stunts, Harry."

"Not ever?" whined Harry. The salesman cringed and turned away slightly as though to examine the Young Flyer's Special.

Draco sighed heavily. "Look, Harry, you took a really hard knock to your head and I know that you love to fly, but stunt flying is just going to be out for awhile. Maybe later, if the Healer agrees, you might be able to do that, but not now."

Harry's shoulders slumped dejectedly. Draco patted his back and pulled him away from the salesman a few feet. "I did promise to buy you a new broom, Harry," Draco spoke softly, "and I will. I think we've seen some nice ones, and there's sure to be a lot more."

"Maybe the Little League one?" Harry asked as he glanced back down the aisle at that broom.

"Would you want to see if there's a Little League team around Fairwinds?" Harry nodded happily. "All right. We'll check, but we also have to make sure your dad is all right with the Little League team, too."

Harry beamed and then hugged Draco about the waist. "Thanks, Draco!"

Draco patted Harry's head. "Why don't you go outside and sit on the bench while I get everything settled."

"Okay!" Harry ran out of the shop and the salesman was suddenly at Draco's side.

"Has the gentleman made a decision?" he asked in an greasy undertone.

Draco pulled himself up to his full aristocratic height, intimidating the man. "The Little League Masters edition 550, is that top of the line?"

"Absolutely, sir!" beamed the salesman.

"Very good. Now, this is what I want..."


Harry knew that Draco had bought something, but not what. He saw the packages for only a few seconds as Draco shrank them and tucked them into his pocket before taking the little boy to the ice cream shop.

Draco was, most certainly, drawing his surprise out. His silvery-grey eyes were sparkling most of the afternoon, especially after they stepped through the Floo into Fairwinds and Harry tackled him.

Severus arrived at that point, with Nikolas in his arms as he was feeding his son. He watched the young man being mercilessly tickled by the little, giggling boy, and smirked.

"Give him a rest, Harry," chided Severus. "You might make Draco ill."

Harry relented with the tickling and pulled away. "He bought something at the broom shop, but he won't tell me what it is, dad!"

Severus' right eyebrow lifted. "I don't think it's quite polite to tickle your brother into giving you your gift, Harry."

Harry frowned at both his father and Draco. Draco lifted himself up from the floor and smiled. "I just wanted to wait until Tabitha was here."

"Why Tabby?" asked Harry in puzzlement.

Draco ruffled the little boy's hair and smirked. "Don't worry, Snapelet," he said as he patted his pocket. "Your broom is here."

Draco walked over to the sofa and dropped onto it. He caught sight of Harry just as he was racing up the stairs. Severus went over to his chair and sat down in it so he could finish feeding Nikolas.

"What have you done, Draco?" Severus asked with his old Head of Slytherin House suspicion.

Draco paled, only for a second. He was an adult, now, right? Then he smirked. "Trust me, Uncle Severus, it's nothing you would disapprove of."

A minute later, Harry was racing down the stairs. "Stop running in the house!" shouted Severus to deaf ears as Harry hared off to the back of the house and out into the backyard.

Severus immediately regretted having shouted because it had alarmed Nikolas who let his father know he was upset by wailing in his ear. With a sigh, Severus shifted his son to his shoulder and began to gently pat the crying babe's back. He tossed a glare towards his supercilious godson who was obviously laughing silently.

A few minutes later, Harry returned, almost breathless, with Tabitha in tow. Severus rose from his chair and handed Nikolas over to Draco who held the little boy securely. Nikolas liked Draco's hair, which was getting longer and now reached his shoulders, and he quickly wrapped both fists in it before Draco could stop him.

As Draco let out a yelp, Severus grasped Harry by the shoulder and pulled him over to his chair where he sat down so he was eye level with his son.

Harry gulped. His father's expression was very serious, so he put aside all thoughts of brooms and locked his emerald gaze onto Severus' obsidian gaze.

"How many times am I going to have to remind you, child? You're not to run in the house anymore." Harry's shoulders slumped and he was about to protest when his father stopped him. "This isn't entirely about the danger to your eyesight, son. Even before your accident we asked you many times not to run in the house. All of you. It's unseemly and it's annoying."

"I just forget, dad," Harry said contritely.

"Hm. I doubt that. You need to start remembering because I've decided that if I catch you, or Tabitha running again in the house, you'll get ten minutes in the corner to slow down and think."

Harry leaned against his father, picking at a fold in the long coat he usually wore in the house. "But the Healer said last week it was okay for me to run," Harry said in his most mournful voice.

Severus' lips thinned slightly. "She said nothing about running in the house and as far as I am aware, your mother and I make the rules, not Healer Saroyan." He tapped Harry's chin with the knuckle of his index finger. "Am I understood, son?"

Harry looked up and nodded. "I'll behave, dad."

Tabitha flopped on the sofa by Draco and very expertly began disentangling the baby's fist from the young man's hair. She then took little Nikolas onto her lap and Draco nodded at her thankfully.

"All right, now you get to see what I bought, Harry," smiled Draco. Harry started to bounce up and down, but Severus placed a restraining hand on his shoulder.

Draco removed the small packages and separated two which he returned to normal size with his wand and a whispered, "Engorgio!" He handed one to Harry and one he set beside Tabitha. As Harry was ripping the paper off his package, Severus stood to retrieve Nikolas so that Tabitha could open her package.

"It's the traveling broom!" exclaimed Harry. Despite a very soft touch of disappointment in his voice, Harry really did like the broom. It was of cherry-stained oak with footrests and a seat. He turned and showed it to his father.

"We can all travel by broom now, dad," Harry said with a smile.

"It's a very nice one," commented Severus.

Draco nodded in agreement. "It's got loads of safety spells including a very neat spell that hovers the broom if Harry falls asleep during a long trip. I had them also add Warming and Cooling charms that adjust to the temperature and a Weather Repellent Charm." He muttered to himself. "That really ought to come standard on all brooms."

Severus chuckled. The main drawback to flying a broom was that the flyer was open to the elements, and to any flying insects, or birds. It could make long flights considerably unpleasant if the owner wasn't proficient in Warming and Cooling and Weather Charms.

Severus nodded to Tabitha and the still unopened package. "Aren't you curious, my dear?"

Tabitha's hands hovered over the package that was obviously a broom. Unshed tears glittered in her eyes as she glanced shyly at Draco. "You didn't have to," she whispered.

Draco smiled and nudged the girl with his elbow gently. "Take a peek, Tabby. I hope you like it."

While she carefully tore off the paper, Tabitha held her breath. The held breath was released in a whoosh as she revealed the broom. The handle was of highly polished, silvery grey ash. The bristles were black and trimmed down into a sharp point. As Tabitha's hand stroked down the beautiful handle, her hand bumped over a small, silver plaque. She peered at it and the tears that had been hovering dropped from her eyes as she smiled and then threw her arms around Draco.

"Oh thank you!" She effused. Tabitha quickly let go of Draco and then slipped off the sofa, with the broom, and took it over to Severus. "It has my name on it, daddy!"

Severus blinked his eyes rapidly. He wasn't going to get teared up over his daughter calling him 'daddy' for the second time since her adoption. He looked down at the plaque. "Tabitha Snape." Severus looked up and nodded at Draco whose cheeks coloured slightly.

Draco coughed and then spoke, "It's an Athena. The first Quidditch broom made just for girls." Harry eyed the broom with barely concealed envy. He clutched his own new broom tighter.

"But, I don't know how to play Quidditch!" Tabitha remarked sadly.

Draco smirked as he took a parchment from his pocket and handed it to Severus. Severus adjusted Nikolas so he was supporting the baby in one arm so he could hold the parchment and read it.

Mockingbird Hills Little League
Holding tryouts for our Winter team on
October 5th at
Noon

Come join us at the Mockingbird Park
Bring your broom!

Floo call Mortimer Munster-Sipwick if you have any questions.

"A little league?" asked Severus. "I never knew such a thing existed."

"The salesman said that little league Quidditch began in the States but only recently made it across to us. The little league is more safety oriented than it is at Hogwarts or in the professional leagues," explained Draco. "The safety regulations are listed on the back, Uncle."

Severus flipped over the paper and read the list of safety regulations for the little league Quidditch players. He was, quite frankly, impressed. He then turned to his son. "Is this something that might interest you, Harry?"

"I think it would be great!" he enthused. "And my head would be all right, too!"

"What do you think, Uncle Severus?" asked Draco.

Severus looked narrowly at the young man and at his clenched fist which was obviously holding something else. "I think you ought to reveal what else you bought at the broom store, Draco."

Draco blushed, briefly, as he grinned, opened his hand, and unshrunk the broom shaped package. He handed it over to Harry who was instantly ripping off the paper.

"Wicked!" breathed Harry. "It's the Little League Masters edition 550!" He smoothed his hand over the pale, pine wood handle that was so highly polished it was like glass.

"It's got all the safety charms you could need and..." Draco took one more thing from his pocket, ignoring the slight glance from his godfather warning that he was spoiling the children. Draco looked to both Tabitha and Harry. "This is for you both. It's an official Little League practice Snitch."

The small ball flitted above Tabitha's head, then Harry's but it was Nikolas who caught it, and then happily gummed it.

"Oh Merlin's rotten teeth!" muttered Severus as he looked helplessly upon his youngest son.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2503