The Death Eater & The Rat by etherian
Summary: This is the last of the Snape Family adventures begun in Harry Potter's Second Chance. The last in the Second Chance series. If you have not read the other stories before this, you will feel lost.

The real summary: The question of whether or not Harry becomes a big brother is not as simple as one would wish. In between that time an old friend, very much changed is found, and Severus & Echo rescue another.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Lucius, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 133865 Read: 98403 Published: 08 Apr 2011 Updated: 10 Apr 2011
Chapter 28 - Epilogue by etherian

Tabitha Snape stood on the platform 9 and ¾ clutching Severus' hand nervously as the Hogwarts Express stood in its glory with steam in thick clouds over its red and gold engine and cars. Echo was fussing over Tabitha's luggage, making sure she had everything.

"Where's Zinnia?" asked Echo as she looked over the cart that held a large pine trunk with Tabitha's initials carved in the top and the Snape crest on the side.

"Isn't she in her cage, Mama?" asked Tabitha looking into a pink carrier. She gasped to find it empty. "Zinnia!"

"There she is!" shouted Harry as his keen eyes caught a streak of white zipping down the platform.

Severus, holding onto year old Nikolas who had a good fistful of daddy's hair in his chubby hand, raised his hand and Summoned the kneazle familiar that he and Echo had purchased for their daughter her day in Diagon Alley.

The kneazle kit flew through the air and landed gently in Severus' outstretched hand. It wasn't a spell he'd use on a full grown kneazle, but the white kitten was small and fit neatly into the palm of the Potions Master's hand.

"Thank you, daddy!" Tabitha breathed as she took the mewling kneazel. "Bad Zinnia!" Tabitha put the kit into her carrier and then gave her father a quick hug. "Where's Uncle Lucius? He promised he'd be here," she said mournfully.

"Lucius is never late, child," soothed Severus. "Go and take your cart up to the luggage car. I bet your uncle will be here when you get back."

Tabitha smiled up at her father. Echo took hold of the cart and her daughter's hand and together they walked three cars up to the luggage car of the Express.

"Dad? I'll be going to Hogwarts, right?" asked Harry, his green eyes shining brightly.

"Have you any doubt?" smirked Severus as he untangled his little son's fingers from his hair.

"I think I'll go, but I just wanted to be sure." Harry smiled and then waved as Tabitha came running back towards them.

Severus cupped the back of Harry's head in his hand and smiled at Tabitha. "Daddy? Where's Uncle Lucius?" The dark-haired child looked about worriedly.

Echo clucked her tongue, "Severus, did you leave Lucius minding that batch of Wolfsbane?"

Severus' face fell. "Oh dear! I did!"

"Daddy!" glared Tabitha.

"I am sorry, child. We'll be sure to bring him, Aunt Belle, and Sophie on Parents Day, all right?" Severus promised.

Tabitha pouted, but then nodded. "All right. But don't you do it again," she warned.

"I promise, Tabby, I shall not." He smiled as his daughter hugged him about the waist. Echo took Nikolas so that Severus could lift his daughter in his arms and kiss her cheeks. "Be a good girl and be sure to write to us this evening so that we know what House you're in." He put her down and then she went to her mother. Harry raised his arms up so he could hold his little brother. Severus watched to be sure that Harry securely had the baby boy.

Echo brushed Tabitha's hair from her face and kissed her daughter's cheeks. "I am going to miss you so much, my sweet girl." She hugged Tabitha tightly and Tabitha hugged her mother back.

"ALL ABOARD!" shouted the conductor.

"Time to go, Tabitha," Severus said unnecessarily. Tabitha rocked between her parents, and then hugged Harry as he held Nikolas.

"I'll miss you two. Will you write for Nikki, Harry?" asked Tabitha.

"I will," promised Harry.

Tabitha then hugged her parents once more and jumped on the train. Through the window, as the Hogwarts Express pulled out of the station, Tabitha waved to her family.

Echo put an arm around Severus' back and her other arm she draped over Harry's shoulder. She pressed her face into her husband's shoulder. "My baby's gone, Severus!" she sniffled and Severus chuckled, pulling his wife closer to his side.

One last wave to a fading train and Severus smirked. He couldn't wait to read his daughter's letter!


Dear Mum and Daddy,

Daddy! You lied! I couldn't believe when I saw Uncle Lucius in the Headmaster's chair up at the staff table! He's the Headmaster?

Wicked!

You should have seen Uncle Lucius. He wore these really gorgeous white robes trimmed with green and next to him stood Sophie who wore a matching dress. Aunt Belle also wore green, but it was a foresty green. Did you know that she teaches a special course called Wand Lore? I'd really like to take it. Uncle Lucius' speech was really nice and afterwards he let Sophie come down and sit with me.

"Whatever happened to those cowboy boots of his?" wondered Severus.

Echo giggled. "What do you bet they were on under those pretty robes of his?"

Oh gosh! How could I forget? Guess what House I'm in? You'll never guess. Ha ha! Ready? I'm in Hufflepuff!

"HUFFLEPUFF?" shouted Severus.

"Is that bad, Dad?" asked Harry.

"Of course it's not bad, Harry," scolded Echo. "Hufflepuff is no less honorable than any other House."

I really like Professor Sprout. She laughs and smiles a lot and just doesn't seem to have airs like most people do. She's sweet and no nonsense. Professor Sprout also teaches Herbology and you both know I'm good with plants. I'll probably do well in her classes.

"I expect you to be her best student," muttered Severus.

"Oh hush, Severus! You know she will be," declared Echo.

I share a dorm with three girls. They are Laura Teaman, Alexis Porter, and Julanna Beem. I like Julanna best. Her family comes from New Zealand and she has the neatest accent. Julanna is a Metamorphmagus. I can't say that word. Alexis calls her a changeling, and Julanna doesn't like that. Alexis isn't a really nice person, so I don't think she'll be much of a friend.

Time for bed!

I love you mum, daddy, Harry, and Nikki! And Hector, too!

WOWF! Hector thumped his tail on the floor at the mention of his name.

Your bestest daughter,

Tabby


August 31, 2000

Harry James Potter Snape stood on the platform for 9 and ¾ beside his father, Severus Snape. Next to him was his three year old brother, Nikolas, and behind him was his mother, Echo Snape. Tabitha had run ahead to greet her best friend, Julanna, who was sporting bright yellow hair.

Harry still had his mother Lily's brilliant green eyes, and her nose. His black hair was straight and brushed his shoulders. It was silky and soft, and many thought it oily, at first glance; just like his father's. At eleven, Harry was still short for his age, but his parents expected a growth spurt around his third or fourth year.

The Hogwarts Express pulled into the station its steam filling the air for several minutes and causing several strands of Harry's hair to cross his eyes.

Severus felt his eldest son's hand slip into his and grip his fingers tightly. He looked down at the young boy. "Nervous, Harry?" he asked.

"Yeah."

Severus turned slightly to face his son, but was still holding his hand. He brushed a few more errant strands of hair from the boy's face. "You may need to tie that back if you keep letting it grow," teased Severus.

"Maybe I could grow it as long as Uncle Lucius' hair?" smiled Harry.

"If you ask me for silk shirts and cowboy boots, I'll blister your bottom til you can't stand anymore," Severus mock threatened.

Harry appeared scandalised and Nikolas giggled. "Harry's eleven, daddy! You can't spank him anymore."

"As long as your brother behaves himself, Nikki, I won't have to," said Severus acerbically.

Echo intervened, "I know that Harry is going to be a perfect little boy, aren't you, sweetheart?" She reached down and ruffled his hair and Harry leaned back against his mother.

Suddenly, Harry straightened as he saw his best friend, Hieronymous 'Mouse' Tonks. Reluctantly, he let go of his father's hand. He glanced over his shoulder at Severus, who nodded at him. Harry ran and shouted, "Mouse!"


One by one the Deputy Headmaster William Weasley put the Sorting Hat on the new first years. Harry listened for his name and the names of his friends.

"Andrew Bulstrode!" Andrew, the youngest in the Bulstrode family, was still a bulky and compact boy, but the fat was fast vanishing to be replaced by muscle. He trotted quickly up to the stool where Professor Weasley stood with the Hat and climbed onto it. Bill dropped the Hat on the boy's head and within seconds the Hat shouted,

"Hufflepuff!"

Andrew smiled broadly. Andrew's older sister had been in Slytherin, but his mother had been a Hufflepuff. He grinned as he headed over to the Hufflepuff table amidst applause.

A few minutes later dashing Hamish Madley who had broken the hearts of at least six girls on the Hogwarts Express, sauntered up to the Sorting Hat. Hamish was a charming, tall boy with sandy blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. He was quickly Sorted into Gryffindor.

"Harry James Snape!" called Professor Weasley.

Harry grinned happily and trotted up to the stool and climbed onto it. The Hat was dropped over his head, obscuring his sight.

"Well, well!" intoned the Hat. "I've met you before."

"No you haven't," said Harry stubbornly.

The Hat was quiet a moment, and then spoke again, "Hmmm, perhaps I was mistaken. Although I sense an echo of some familiarity you truly are a different boy."

"What are you talking about?" huffed Harry with some annoyance. "Just Sort me!"

"The temper of your father... your real father," drawled the Hat smugly. Harry glowered in the darkness. The Hat chuckled. "Once I tried to tell you that you'd find greatness in Slytherin. That still holds. Or, do you wish another House?"

"Slytherin's a good House. My dad's Slytherin."

"Indeed he is and..." the Hat shouted, "Slytherin!"

Harry pushed the Hat off his head and wasted no time in running over to Slytherin's table to the applause of everyone in the Great Hall.

Daniella Spinnet, the little bookworm, went into Ravenclaw, but she ran over to Andrew Bulstrode to give him a quick hug before joining the other Ravenclaw students.

Harry's best friend Mouse was next and it seemed that the Hat stayed on his head forever.

"SLYTHERIN!" the Hat ground out irritably.

"Yippiee!" Mouse shouted and ran over to the Slytherin table. He slid in beside Harry and they knocked into each other.

"What was going on? The Hat was taking forever!" Harry asked.

"Stupid Hat wanted to put me in Hufflepuff so I had to argue with it," laughed Mouse.

"Good for you!" laughed Harry. The two friends had made plans to stay together while on the train. Harry had told Mouse that his big brother, Draco almost wound up in Ravenclaw but he wanted to be Slytherin just like his dad and so he'd argued with the Hat.

The last of the first years to be Sorted were twins Sarah and Jared Weasley, the war orphans adopted by Percy Weasley. Sarah was immediately Sorted into Gryffindor, but her twin went into Slytherin.

Up at the staff table, Headmaster Lucius Malfoy leaned a little closer to his wife, Islabelle. He was smirking at Harry, Mouse, and Jared. "I have a feeling those three are going to be a handful."


Christmas, 2000

Severus groaned awake to the sound of three pairs of slippered feet thundering down the stairs. He only smiled when his beloved wife leaned over him and kissed him soundly.

"Merry Christmas," she spoke softly.

He kissed her back, ardently, cherishing this quiet moment. They would be having a full house today, and Severus wasn't looking forward to it. Oh, he knew he'd enjoy it later, but the anticipation wasn't thrilling.

With another kiss from Echo, she took her husband's mind off the day to come.


Gasps, ooohs and ahhs came from the three Snape children as they came to a concerted halt in the living room. Overnight a beautiful white tree decorated with fairy lights, silver tinsel, and multi-coloured glass ornaments sparkled amongst a Gringott's hoard of glittery wrapped presents. All three were about to run and attack the treasure when a Freezing Spell held them in place.

"No, no, Friends Harry, Tabitha, and Nikolas!" tutted Dobby who had just popped in front of them. "You is knowing breakfast is first." He grinned happily at his three disappointed charges. He let them go from the spell and ushered them into the dining room where they were joined a few minutes later by their parents.


Breakfast at Fairwinds was finished in record time, but still the tree and its shiny packages could not be invaded. To resigned sighs (none of the siblings dared whine on Christmas morning) Echo ushered her children back upstairs where they began to get dressed.

Almost two hours later, since Nikolas decided to play an impromptu game of hide-and-seek with his father (he had run off in the middle of Severus helping him dress and little Nikolas had been found fifteen minutes later by Tabitha in the parlor), they were down in the living room, neatly dressed, and waiting for their first guest.

"Grandpa!" all three children cried out as Albus Dumbledore stepped through the Floo. Right behind them was, "Granny!"

Minerva and Albus were surrounded by the three delighted children. There were hugs and kisses a-plenty while Albus sent several wrapped gifts to join the others beneath the glittering tree.

After their arrival, the flames in the Floo were a constant whoosh of green. Next to arrive were Draco, his wife Hermione, and their son, Perseus. After a round of greetings Draco picked up Nikolas and listened attentively as Harry related all the interesting things that had gone on at Hogwarts.

Echo, Severus, and Tabitha went over to Hermione to greet shy little Perseus who was almost three years old. He was an unusual looking boy with the fine Malfoy bone structure, his mother's doe brown eyes, and a cap of pale gold curls.

Perseus was a voracious reader and he loved his Uncle Severus' library. He once confided to his mother that he wanted a library just like it and Hermione, silly mother that she was, burst into tears and hugged and kissed him.

Draco was now a Potions Master, having completed his apprenticeship in two years instead of four. Hermione had one more year on her apprenticeship to go and the husband and wife had been discussing plans for their future, which were, as yet, undecided.

The Floo whooshed again to admit Headmaster Lucius, his wife, and six year old Sophie. There were more hugs and kisses, and curious shy looks between Sophie and Harry that were only noticed by Severus.

The last, and most curious 'guests' to join them were Dobby, his wife Tippi, and their two year old son, Gyp. Gyp, more of a family member than any house elf had ever been, enthusiastically greeted everyone, settling finally next to Harry, whom he had missed terribly while the boy had been at school.


August, 2016

"Merlin's teeth, Harry!" scolded his father. "Would you stop fidgeting? Anyone would think you're seven, not twenty-seven!"

Severus Snape, with only a touch of gray at his temples was adjusting his tall son's suit cravat. Harry, objecting already to the starched collar of his dress shirt, couldn't stand the cravat and felt like he was choking.

Actually, he felt a bit faint.

Severus caught his son by the shoulders just as he swayed where he stood. He directed his son over to the bench at the end of bed and Harry sat down heavily. Touching Harry's cheek with the back of his hand, it felt cool, if a touch clammy. He Summoned a Calming Potion and had the young man drink it.

Harry took a deep, shuddering breath and caught a glimpse of himself in the full length mirror. He was slim and almost as tall as his father. He'd never quite bulked up and so he was almost a near mirror image of his father. With the exception of his deep green eyes and perfectly sized nose, slightly bumped from when he had broken it after falling out of a tree.

He wore dress robes of black over his white shirt, a deep maroon vest, and the bloody white cravat. He tugged at it and although Severus was tempted to slap the hand away, the older man sat down instead.

"Nervous?"

Harry nodded. "I think I understand why Draco almost threw up before he got married, dad. In a few hours I'll have a wife and we'll be moving to Hogwarts..."

"At least there isn't a baby on the way," smirked Severus. In seconds, though, he turned a forbidding look upon his son. "There isn't, is there?"

Harry blanched, then laughed. "God no, dad! No, no, we've behaved ourselves." To be honest, Harry had been far too conscious of the combined strength of his father and his future father-in-law doing something awful to him had he gotten his sweetheart pregnant.

For a moment Harry leaned against his father, their heads touching lightly. "I'm excited about getting married, so it's not that. We've been waiting like forever, it seems." He chuckled softly. "I think I'm more scared about teaching."

The Deputy Headmaster, Bill Weasley, had left Hogwarts for a more exciting career in Curse Breaking. Hermione Malfoy, the current Charms instructor, had taken over the duties of the Deputy Headmistress. Her husband, Draco, taught Potions and was the Head of Slytherin House. Their son, Perseus, still a bit of a loner, had found his niche in taking care of Magical Creatures. He was apprenticing under Newt Scamander who currently had a large Sanctuary for injured Magical Creatures located on the outskirts of wizarding London. Perseus aspired to work alongside his aged instructor someday.

At Draco's cajoling, Harry had agreed to take over the recently vacated Transfiguration position. Ever since Minerva had retired the fate that had once plagued the Defense Against the Dark Arts position had now fallen to the Transfiguration position. Unfortunately, the instructors that had all been imminently qualified and hired by Lucius were intelligent women that had all left to get married. Draco told Harry in confidence that his father had sworn not to hire another young woman for the position: it would either be an old maid, or a steady and married young man!

"You will be a very attentive teacher, my boy," Severus said with a kiss to his son's forehead. "That, and you know I am only a Floo call away."

Harry embraced his father for a moment, longing, for just an instant, for those days when he'd been small enough to hug his father and disappear in his voluminous robes. Reluctantly, he let go and returned to allowing his father helping him with his dreaded cravat.


Nikolas Snape had gotten bored with all of his older brother's wedding preparations and had sneaked out of Fairwinds to find something interesting to do. Nikolas was nineteen and seemed not to know what he wanted to do with his life, yet. He was tall, an inch taller than his father, and Severus constantly had to tell the boy to stop slouching. He had the Snape black hair, but he preferred it trimmed short except for an arc of forelock that brushed over one side of his forehead and obscured his left eye.

Nikolas left Fairwinds and made his way over to the modest manor that still belonged to Uncle Lucius, where Draco and Hermione lived. Although they had quarters at Hogwarts, both were stubborn about making it home at least once a week. Malfoy Manor still was under Draco's estate, but he hadn't gone near the place since taking his apprenticeship with Severus. He kept telling Hermione he would visit and clear the place out to sell, but he had yet to do so.

Nikolas' long steps took him to the stables that Uncle Draco had built some years ago for his son, Perseus. Inside he found his slim cousin tending to his familiar, a Thestral. Nikolas, and most others were able to see the skeletal, yet majestic black animal only after they had seen the passing of beloved Hector, Harry's great old dog, several years ago.

"Hey, Perseus," greeted Nikolas as he leaned against the stall door.

Perseus, a very handsome, young man who kept his hair long, smiled at his cousin. "Hello, Nik." He continued to groom his Thestral that he had named Darius when he was a child.

"It's hectic at Fairwinds," Nikolas commented. "I needed some fresh air."

"Bit of a madhouse here, too," nodded Perseus. "Dad and grandad got into an argument. Something ridiculous about something at Hogwarts."

Nikolas shifted, his interest piqued. "Uncle Lucius isn't mad about Harry teaching there, is he?"

Perseus laughed. "No! He's looking forward to Harry breaking the curse on the Transfiguration position. I think it might be something having to do with Hagrid retiring. No one wants to see the old fellow go."

Nikolas sighed, "Yeah. Hagrid's been there, like, forever. Hogwarts won't be the same without him."

"That's what they said about Albus," remarked Perseus. "Now there's a whole generation that only knows my grandad."

The two young men stood in the silence for awhile until Perseus glanced up at his cousin. "You still haven't talked to your dad yet about the Living Portraits Scholarship, have you?"

Nikolas shook his head. "Dad was really hoping one of us would become a Potions Master. I mean, I know Harry got his master's but I think it was just to make dad happy. He likes Transfiguration best."

Perseus laughed, "Only because he's still trying to become an Animagus!"

Nikolas grinned wryly in defense of his brother, "Just give him time, Perseus. I think Harry will do it!" Nikolas scraped the toe of his boot in the dirt and jerked his head so his forelock moved away from his left eye. The heavy, silken hair fell back at once. "So, you think I should tell dad about the scholarship?"

Perseus nodded. "Your dad is going to be happy that you're doing what makes you happy, Nik. You know that. Don't you think he'd be happy knowing that your talent in drawing is valuable enough to the Artist's Guild that they've offered you a full scholarship?"

Nikolas shrugged, and gave his cousin a half-smile. "Yeah. Yeah, he'd rather like that."

"Then talk to him, cousin." Perseus patted Darius and gave him a chunk of preserved meat. He then went to his cousin and slung an arm over the taller man's shoulders, knocking them both off balance. The two laughed as they walked, faux drunkenly, out of the stables and along the greensward that stretched between the two properties.


The backyard gardens at Fairwinds had been setup with chairs for guests and a beautiful arch decorated with a variety of small, colourful flowers set at the center. Tippi, the once Shop Elf, was overseeing all the decorations, tweaking small things here and there with her magic. Dobby was laying out the sumptuous buffet that looked as though it could feed every student currently attending Hogwarts. Severus would probably have a fit when he saw all the food. Dobby hoped that the beautiful turkey Mistress Madame had cooked for Master Sir would soothe him so he wouldn't fuss over the amount of food. Dobby's son Gyp was running messages back and forth between the two manors and between the two wedding parties.

Dobby spied a hand going for a sticky bun and slapped it away. "Friend Harry is no eating until everyone is eating!" chided the elf of the grown wizard.

Harry grinned at Dobby. "I'm just nervous, Dobby. I almost wish... well, did you and Tippi have all this fuss?"

Dobby shook his head and handed Harry an orange. "House elfs marriages private, small ritual. Dobby is glad he is marrying only once." Dobby grinned as he heard an Apparition pop followed by a happy squeak. Gyp ran over to his father.

"Poppy! Master Lucius is needing advice. He is needing Poppy!" Gyp hugged Dobby before he vanished and Harry grinned. Gyp had always been affectionate, easily hugging those he knew, and that included Severus.

"Hiya Gyp. You look busy," observed Harry as he peeled his orange.

Gyp grinned. "Friend Harry is wanting to know about pretty love," he winked.

Harry snorted. "Yeah. Is Sophie doing all right?"

"Little Miss was crying, then she was laughing, then she was chasing Friend Draco. Little Miss tears dress so Mistress Belle is..." he paused before finishing carefully, "sitting on Sophie so she will stay in place for more than five minutes."

Harry let out a full belly laugh while Gyp joined in with little snickerings. Harry was well acquainted with his beloved Sophie's wildness. When she wished, she could be a demure little thing, a perfect Malfoy, but there was another side to her that adored running barefoot outside and chasing butterflies.

Sophie had become quite a handful for her stepmother, Islabelle, to raise with Lucius, but Belle Malfoy claimed that her darling stepdaughter kept her young. In truth, Belle had hardly aged a year since marrying her childhood sweetheart and although she had yet to confirm it, Harry, Tabitha, and Nikolas were certain that Belle had some High Elf in her ancestry.

A large, blue and gold butterfly flitted over the buffet and towards Harry. He watched as it dipped down then up before alighting upon his shoulders. The delicate wings brushed his cheek and he laughed.

"You show off, Tabby!" Harry chuckled.

The butterfly took flight and then morphed into Tabitha Snape. Almost thirty, she was still a very beautiful young woman, as she hugged her brother and kissed his cheek.

"Who did you bring to the wedding, Tabby?" asked Harry.

Tabitha, much to Severus and Echo's chagrin, had yet to settle down with anyone. She had traveled the globe right after Hogwarts with her best friend Julanna until they parted in Paris. Tabitha had continued to travel until her twentieth birthday which is when she settled, for a few years, under an apprenticeship with Albus Dumbledore. Only Severus, it seemed, had known that the old wizard held masters in Potions, Transfiguration, Runes, Charms, and Herbology. Tabitha concentrated on Runes and Transfiguration, but never quite earned a masters in either. She did learn how to become an Animagus, though.

Tabitha's passion was for writing yet it wasn't until her uncle, Gilderoy Lockhart encouraged her, that she began publishing her stories. Gilderoy, unfortunately, died from a simple accident in his home when he tried to cook for himself and his house elfs hadn't been paying close enough attention to him. He burned down the house, himself succumbing to smoke inhalation. That was two years ago.

Tabitha slipped an arm through Harry's and they walked around the garden. "His name is Walter and he's a Muggle scientist. He's a Squib, though, so he knows all about magic. I think daddy's in the library with him now and they're arguing over the origin of the universe."

"Is he someone you might stay with for awhile?" Harry asked.

Tabitha shrugged. "Walter's a very interesting sort, but I'm not sure, Harry. For now, though, he's the first thing I think of in the morning, and the last smile I have at night."

Harry chuckled. That sounded like love to him, and it was the closest his drifting sister had ever come to it.

"Cousin!"

"Harry!"

The shouts came from Nikolas and Perseus who were running towards him. When they reached Harry, they were breathless.

"Butterbeer!" declared Nikolas.

"Butterbeer!" agreed Perseus.

"Let me guess," Harry drawled, almost like his father did, "you two want butterbeer?"

"Yes!" crowed Nikolas as he threw an arm over his older brother. He stood two inches taller than Harry. The blue butterfly touched Nikolas' hair and he waved it gently away. "Hey, Tabby!"

Perseus added, "The groom must have butterbeer with his best mates." He smiled as Tabitha the butterfly touched his nose before flittering away from the three young men.

"We have time to get to the Leaky Cauldron," informed Nikolas with a wicked twinkle in his eyes.

"If we go, we need Mouse," Harry said firmly.

"But he's not even here, yet!" complained Perseus.

Harry glowered at his cousin. "He arrived ten minutes ago. Sarah's gone over to your house." Sarah Weasley, still as pushy as ever, was inexplicably dating Harry's best friend, Hieronymous Tonks. Mouse, as he was better known, had always been a quiet sort. The odd pairing of Mouse and Sarah didn't always set well with Harry who had never quite gotten along with the girl.

"Is Jared here?" asked Perseus. Nikolas smirked at Perseus knowing that his shy cousin only ever livened up at the mention of Sarah's twin, Jared.

"If Sarah's arrived, Jared couldn't be too far behind." Harry grinned. "Let's go get them both and go!"


Hours later, long after he should have been married, Harry was singing, off key, at the top of his lungs with his arms draped over Mouse and his brother. Perseus was tapping a vigorous rhythm upon the tabletop with a knife and fork and Jared was offering a counter rhythm as he slapped his hands upon the tabletop. None of the four men were aware of a storm in black robes that strode into the Leaky Cauldron. Behind him, a confection in white lace, satin, and beadwork, was golden haired Sophie. Behind Sophie was her father. Sophie, a petite witch who was several inches shorter than both angered wizards bade them to stay in place with a small hand to their chests.

Sophie picked up her hem and marched over to Harry. "Harry James Potter Snape!" she declared.

Harry spun and nearly knocked himself and Mouse sideways. He grinned lopsidedly at his fiance and greeted her with an exuberant, "Hello, luv!"

Jared and Perseus chuckled softly. Mouse dropped his face into his hands, and Nikolas flopped down into an empty chair and slapped his booted feet onto the table.

Sophie smiled demurely and then slapped the young man's face. The crack of hand against cheek stopped all conversation and speculation over the arrival of the black robed wizard.

Jared and Perseus chorused a spooky 'oooh' together while Mouse distanced himself a bit from Harry. Nikolas stayed put, steepling his slim fingers over his abdomen.

Harry flopped back into his chair and rubbed his inflamed cheek. He blinked a few times as he tried to focus on Sophie.

"Uncle Severus?" asked Sophie with a polite smile. "Would you have a Sobering Potion on you?"

Severus nodded, reached into an inner pocket and took out a small bottle. He walked over and handed it to Sophie. She thanked the wizard and then gave the potion to Harry who drank it down rapidly. After several seconds the potion neutralised the alcohol in Harry's bloodstream and his cheeks coloured.

"Oh no! Oh Sophie I didn't... did I?" Harry stammered. Sophie merely smiled. "Oh Merlin! I missed my own wedding!"

Sophie smirked. "Oh dearest Harry Snape! Do you think I'm going to let you off that easily?" Harry gave his hopefully still fiance' a look of puzzlement. "Everyone is enjoying Dobby's lovely buffet, and they're dancing, too. All of our guests are having the best time ever."

"But, Sophie... I don't... do you still want to marry me? After this?" Harry felt absolutely mortified and thought he might understand if Sophie walked out right now... and let her father hex him to death.

Sophie giggled. "Harry. Tom told your father that you've had four butterbeers and one glass of firewhiskey. On a good night that wouldn't get either my papa or Draco confessing their worst sins." Harry had to frown again. Sophie leaned in, resting a hand on his shoulder as she shook her finger at him. "You cannot hold your liquor, my dear."

Harry shook his head. "I am so very sorry, Sophie. Did you want to go home and leave..." Harry glanced over his shoulder at Lucius who was giving him one of his deadliest glares. "Does your father want to give me what for?" Harry asked softly.

Sophie whispered back, "He might, but don't you think a honeymoon at St. Mungo's would be terribly boring?" Harry nodded. "Good. Then let's go get married." Sophie leaned over and kissed Harry gently then held out her hand to him. He allowed Sophie to lift him and then she let go of his hand and sauntered out of the Leaky Cauldron.

As Harry passed his father, Severus whacked his son's shoulder. "Idiot boy!" declared Harry's father.

"I'm sorry, dad," muttered Harry.

"Oh, I promise you will be, Harry," smirked Severus. "When you have children of your own!"

"Yes, sir." Harry paused as they met Lucius. Harry looked into his future father-in-law's silvery grey eyes. "I'm very sorry, Uncle Lucius. This will never, ever happen again."

Lucius gave Harry a forgiving smile, but as Harry let out a sigh of relief, he threatened, "If it ever does happen again, you'll be taking the first years Potions class for an entire semester!" For good measure, Lucius smacked the other shoulder.

"Ow!"

~ FIN ~

The End.
End Notes:
Perseus Malfoy is a nod to a very loving couple I met a couple of years ago that I keep in touch with on Facebook, and LJ.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2503