1612 by Whitetail
Summary: Welcome to the witch-hunt. Anything can happen when Harry and Snape are transported back in time to an area in Scotland where the witch-hunt is in full swing. Getting back to their time isn't the biggest issue: it's staying away from the ropes in the square.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: 1612
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 58491 Read: 80087 Published: 13 Apr 2011 Updated: 26 Aug 2011
A New Beginning by Whitetail

       It was Harry's last day in the hospital wing, and he was extremely anxious to get out. Hermione and Ron had come to visit him earlier, but said they had to leave a little while before he was to be released. Ron had muttered something about needing to do homework, but due to the fact that the twins had come by for a visit the other day and casually asked Harry what his favourite desserts were, Harry strongly suspected there were plans to have a welcome back party for him.

      Sitting upon his bed and flipping through Quidditch through the Ages, Harry was surprised to find he had another visitor. Professor Dumbledore, upon being let into the wing by Madam Pomfrey, swept over, his starry purple robe swishing softly in the silent room. Harry wondered why Madam Pomfrey was holding back a smile, but soon forgot about it when Dumbledore sat down in the chair by his bed, which had been so often occupied by Snape during his stay.

    "Hello Harry," Dumbledore greeted him, eyes twinkling. "How are you?"

    "Good sir," Harry replied, shutting his book. "And you?"

    "Quite alright, I should say. Now, I do believe you wish to leave this place as soon as possible, so therefore, I suppose I should inform you of why I have come."

   Harry looked at him intently.

 "It has come to my attention that your aunt and uncle are not as apt as I believed in caring for you. I paid a visit to them, and I was not pleased with what I found." He sighed. "Forgive me, Harry, for this is my fault."

    "How, sir?"

    "I was the one who placed you with them, shortly after your parents were killed. I believed it to be the best place for you because of the ancient magic that protected you." Dumbledore paused, the twinkle in his eye gone. "You see, when your mother died to save you, her love for you became the best protection you could ever have. Her blood, which flows in your veins, keeps this deep magic alive, the magic that saved you as a baby. So, when I placed you under the care of her sister, we were able to place very powerful enchantments around Privet Drive because she too was a blood relative of your mother's. It was a mistake, I admit now. I am sorry Harry, but I only wished to keep you safe. I never thought the ones you would need to be protected from were them."

    "I forgive you sir," Harry said, seeing just how deeply troubled Dumbledore was. "It's not so bad."

    "You are a very brave boy Harry," said Dumbledore. "But, if you choose, I can make arrangements for you to live somewhere else. The new location would not be quite as difficult to penetrate, but still quite secure."

    "So, I wouldn't have to go back to Dursleys'?" Harry asked hopefully. He couldn't believe what Dumbledore had said.

    "No," he replied, still looking a little sad.

    "Where would I go?"

    "Molly Weasley said immediately that she and Arthur would be happy to take you in, if you agreed of course."

    "Wouldn't it too be expensive though?" Harry asked anxiously. "I mean, Ron hasn't got a lot already and I wouldn't want to ..."

    "That would not matter," said Dumbledore. "Your aunt and uncle were getting monthly payments from Gringotts, and that would be transferred over to Molly and Arthur. It was a fund set up by your parents, and it is more than enough to feed and clothe you."

    "But the Dursleys always complained about how expensive I was to keep," Harry said, shocked. "That was why I got Dudley's old clothes."

     "Is that so?" said Dumbledore, his eyes suddenly looking much darker than the light blue they usually were.

     "So, I can live with Ron?" Harry asked hopefully. He hadn't met Arthur Weasley, but he had met Molly briefly, and he liked her. He had heard a lot about them too. Besides, they could not possibly be worse than the Dursleys.

    "Yes," Dumbledore said with a smile. "Molly and Arthur have discussed it with all of their children and they are ecstatic. I take it you would like - "

    "Yes," Harry said immediately, cutting Dumbledore off, who chuckled.

   "Alright then," he said. "I shall send Molly and Arthur a letter."

   "Thank you sir," Harry said.

    "Oh, you do not need to thank me," said Dumbledore. "If you have any questions come and find me."

    "Yes sir."

 

        ***

 

     It was with an extraordinarily light heart that Harry left the hospital wing, a clean bill of health. The halls were empty as he walked along, almost everyone having returned to their common rooms after dinner. Dumbledore's statement about Harry not needing to thank him got Harry thinking. He was right. There was someone Harry needed to thank. So, instead of going straight to the common room where there was sure to be a whole host of people awaiting his arrival, he found himself making the trek down to the dungeons. He knocked upon Snape's office door, but after minute of standing there, nobody had answered. Disappointed, Harry began his way to Gryffindor tower, thinking he would need to come another day.

    When Harry arrived at the portrait of the Fat Lady, Ron was waiting beside it.

     "Did anyone else visit after us?" Ron asked curiously.

    "Yeah, Dumbledore," Harry replied, knowing exactly what Ron was doing.

    "Really? What did he have to say?"

    "You know exactly what he told me," Harry said with a slight laugh.

    "So, what do you think?" said Ron, looking hopefully.

    "I said yes." Harry grinned a little nervously.

    Ron clapped Harry on the back and grinned back, setting Harry at ease. Ron was happy about it. "Well, everyone's waiting, so I'd better let you in," he said before turning to the Fat Lady and saying the password, which Harry didn't know as it had been changed a while ago.

    They were greeted by a swarm of people, but Harry only had eyes for the Weasleys present. With a grin Ron nodded toward Fred, George and Percy. Fred and George high fived and Percy came over to enthusiastically shake Harry's hand. Harry then caught sight of Hermione, who was beaming. Nobody else seemed aware of the silent conversation that had taken place between the six people. But Harry knew, and as pumpkin pasties were passed around he couldn't be happier.

     It wasn't until much later that Harry and Ron went upstairs to go to bed. Ron of course, fell asleep instantly, but Harry was still enjoying the moment too much to sleep. He made to go sit by the window by his bed, but was surprised to see Hedwig sitting on the bedside table. She hooted softly and held up her leg, which had a tiny scroll attached. Harry untied it and she gave him an affectionate nip before flying out the window. The scroll still rolled tightly in his hand, Harry watched her fly off. After a moment he was surprised to see that something had erupted out of the darkness on the edge of the forest. It had appeared so suddenly, glowing brightly like no animal Harry had ever seen, and yet it looked in every way a doe. It appeared to be looking straight at him. The two stared at each other for a moment before it bounded gracefully into the forest, stopping a few feet in, for Harry could still see the light that it gave off, the trees black silhouettes. He could have sworn he saw something else stir in the trees, but before he could get a closer look the light disappeared. He watched the spot for a moment or two, astonished. He had never seen anything like it. She had been beautiful, and Harry would have been content to watch her forever if she had stayed. Yet in some ways he was glad he did not know where she had come from and disappeared to, for sometimes that ruins the magic of it all. 

       Only after a moment or two of staring at the forest in wonder did Harry remember the scroll in his hand, so he tore his gaze away from the window and sat upon his bed. He unrolled it, and the writing on the parchment was very familiar. He had seen it so very many times upon his potions essays.

 

      You're welcome, Potter.

 

   That was all it said, but Harry understood it. There was no need for a thank you, because Snape already knew how grateful he was. Besides, Snape was not the kind of person who looked to be thanked; he operated silently, and often secretly. Not being noticed was what he preferred. And quite frankly, Harry thought the shadows suited Snape well. It had taken Harry time to see it, but by no means did that darkness fill Snape's soul. Yet, he seemed to be the kind of person that was forever locked in a battle between kindness and darkness, and both sometimes shone through.

     Harry climbed into his four-poster, glad to be in his own bed again. He glanced over to Ron, who was snoring loudly. Harry grinned, feeling like the luckiest boy in the world because he was going to be part of a family. He didn't feel the slightest bit scared, because Fred, George, and Ron treated him that way already. Even Percy accepted him, however pompous he could be. A funny realization had struck Harry as he was contemplating just how he had gotten where he was now. He burst out laughing before he could stop himself.

    "What's so funny?" Ron asked, sounding groggy and quite frankly a little annoyed at being woken up.

    "I just realised," Harry said as he tried to stop laughing. "It's all Malfoy's fault! It's because of him that I get to live with you. He'd be so mad if he found out!"

    "You've lost me Harry," Ron said, sounding as though he thought Harry had gone loony.

    "Don't you remember? He was the one that got me in trouble in the first place; he was the reason I had to do detention. If I hadn't gotten detention I wouldn't have gone back in time and I never would have gotten to live with you. Imagine his face if he found out he made my life easier!"

     Ron started to laugh too, which set Harry off again. They woke everybody up, and after a chorus of "shut up" and a few pillows being thrown at them, they quieted down. Though quiet, both were still shaking with silent laughter. They were just sorry that Malfoy could never know just what he did.

The End.
End Notes:
Well, that's the end folks. I hope you liked it. Thank you so much to all of you who read 1612, and special thanks to those who reviewed as well; whether you left one, or many, I enjoyed reading each and every one! If you're wondering what I'm up to next, check out my bio, as I always have a little section on my current project. Anyways, cheers!
** On a side note, the sequel (1613) is now up. I hadn't planned on writing one, but an idea came, and sometimes you just have to run with it. I hope that it lives up to expectations!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2506