Unsaid by Dianaartemis
Summary: "Perhaps a man with a prerogative to redeem himself in the memory of the mother would, in turn, give comfort to a child so justifiably desperate for it,” Dumbledore grinned at the other man’s unbidden expression of shock. “But when said like that, it hardly encompasses the depth of emotion I would expect when I see the person in question has cradled Harry Potter to sleep after a nightmare.” “I-I...” Severus scowled. “I was not cradling him.”
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 35746 Read: 66843 Published: 29 Apr 2011 Updated: 20 May 2011
Chapter 2 by Dianaartemis

 

Unsaid

 

Chapter 2

 

It was an alarm.

Severus Snape stared at the phoenix feather that had just appeared on his desk. He hadn't seen one in almost seven years, but it's hard to forget the bright, fiery luster of the smooth feather. In moments though, it flashed into a pile of dust and Severus knew he should answer it quickly.

He took a moment to set the papers he was grading aside. He wiped away a pool of ink that formed from keeping the quill too still. He had been surprised at the abrupt presence of the feather. After a brief, fruitless effort, Severus gave up. That paragraph was rubbish anyway, even for a first year.

Making sure his wand was secured in his robes, Severus quickly stepped to the fire and flooed to Albus Dumbledore's office.

The headmaster was writing when he stepped through the flames. Dumbledore looked up and nodded. "Good, Severus, you're here. I need you to do something important for me."

"Is it an emergency?" Severus had not seen the phoenix feather since the war had ended. It was the quickest way for Dumbledore to alert a member of the Order of the Phoenix of something that required immediate action. With the Dark Lord long defeated and many Death Eaters in Azkaban, or forced into hiding, there was little cause for alarm for many years.

The headmaster seemed to read his mind. "Yes, though I don't know all the details of the case. This could just be a harmless scare."

"Well, what is it?" he drawled, wondering if the old man was simply pulling his leg.

"Harry Potter is missing."

Severus couldn't hide his shocked expression. "What?"

Dumbledore sighed patiently. "Harry Potter is missing. However, I don't know if he is in any danger. I do feel it is important enough that I should send someone to find him and bring him back to his aunt's home."

"How do you know this?" He knew Dumbledore has taken precautions over the boy, but he didn't think he had gone as far as to place tracking charms on him.

The headmaster folded his hands. "I have methods of knowing when he is home and when he is not. Naturally, he is out of the house as much as any normal boy, but I believe it has been quite some time now."

"How long?"

"About thirty hours. I would have been more attentive earlier, but I knew his guardians have not contacted the police. So I thought it was nothing to be concerned about. A contact nearby, Arabella Fig, did visit their home just a few hours ago and it has only just now reached me that they are unaware of his whereabouts." He handed over a carefully folded parchment and Severus scanned the words, a few jumping out at him: weren't pleased to talk to me…unsure when exactly he left…not very cooperative…unwilling to mention details…perhaps caused by an argument…consider sending someone to search for him.

"He ran away," Severus deducted.

"So it would seem."

Dumbledore was staring at him intently and though Severus had planned the evening for grading papers, he knew the headmaster had other ideas. "You are sure we should interfere?" He knew the answer, but he reallydidn't want to go running around all night, searching for a brat who decided to run away from home.

"There is a small possibility that he could be in real danger. But in any case, he is still a child that has been alone for over a day. Considering his guardians do not know where he is, it is doubtful he is at a friend's house."

"I seriously doubt Harry Potter would be roaming the streets for thirty hours." Severus couldn't imagine the Boy-Who-Lived would want to rough it out on the streets instead of being coddled by his relations or at least one of his many adoring fans.

Dumbledore held up his hand, as if to stop Severus' train of thought. "Whatever the case is, I would appreciate you going out tonight and returning him back to his aunt and uncle."

"I have plans for the evening," he quickly said, hoping to nip this in the bud. "Perhaps you should send someone who does not have lessons tomorrow morning. Surely this-" He glanced down at the letter, still in his hand. "-Arabella Figg would search him out herself."

The headmaster was staring deeply at him. "Arabella is searching for him, but she is only one woman and a squib of limited resources. And," he noted emphatically when Severus attempted to open his mouth, "if Harry unfortunately is in some kind of danger, it would be best to have someone I trust to be there and take care of the matter discreetly."

"Discreetly? Don't want the Prophet finding out where you have hidden the precious Golden Boy?"

"Severus, please." The headmaster sighed. Severus had not noticed that his voice had been rising. He really had no reason to be trying to defy Dumbledore. But he really, truly, did not want to meet Harry Potter tonight. Or any night for the next blessed years until the boy had to come to the school. "I only meant that Harry has been living with his muggle relations. Though he may have heard of magic, it is probably very limited. Naturally, his exposure to it is non-existent. I only ask that if you do decide it is imperative that you perform magic, do it discreetly so as not to alarm him."

Severus frowned. "I have not assented to this mission."

Dumbledore smiled kindly. "Do not think of it as a mission, but a favor. I am worried for his well-being and it would be greatly comforted to know Harry is back in his own bed tonight. Please, Severus, for a friend?"

He hated the manipulative old headmaster with such viciousness at times like this. He did not care a whit that Dumbledore was concerned for the boy, but the man had done a great many favors for Severus and to deny him would be… indecorous. He still maintained a long silence before finally giving in. "Where does he live?"

 

-

 

Severus Snape stared at the house of Harry Potter. The address and other information were folded into the pocket of his muggle jacket, which was transfigured from his robes. Dumbledore had told him that Harry Potter's aunt and uncle were not very open to strangers, so perhaps it would be best not to question them as Mrs. Figg had tried.

Severus knew he should go to the squib's house, but he was purposefully dragging his feet. He had even walked to the edge of the Hogwarts grounds to apparate instead of flooing directly to Mrs. Figgs fireplace. There was no point in him trying to memorize the look of the street or house. It was identical to any house or street surrounding it, a typical satellite town in the London commuter belt. Knowing there was little else to make excuses over, he made the short walk to Arabella Figg's home.

The woman was of a meek appearance, and she sighed dramatically when he came to the door. "Thank goodness! It's about time someone came. We need to make a plan!" She quickly ushered him in. It was a cramped space and smelled equal parts of cabbage and cats, one of which immediately tried to rub against Severus' leg the moment he walked in. Unappreciative, he kicked the feline away, leaving it hissing in the corner. The woman was still talking. "Now, I've asked some neighbors, but no one seems to have a clue as to where he has gone to, if they know he is missing at all. Sometimes I just don't understand those Dursleys. Got into a great fit when I was asking them about him. Thought I was being far too nosey, for Pete's sake!"

Severus ignored her for the most part and found the perfect spot in the room farthest away from any furniture. There were far too many cats around and a disturbing amount of cat fur layered on every surface.

"Are you even listening?" she snapped.

"No," he answered automatically, leaving her gaping at him. "Now, where have you searched? I want to do this as quickly and as efficiently as possible."

She scowled at him. "I've checked the neighborhood, of course. I figured I would head west to some playgrounds I've seen them walk to. You can head east, to his school. It's not far, just a few blocks. But I really just don't know-"

"That is fine. I will signal to you if I have found him. Otherwise, I will meet you back here in one hour." Glad to get that over with, he quickly walked to the door, shoving aside another cat. He paused, just before leaving. "Try to look for other clues of his presence and report them to me if we are both unsuccessful."

He left and stalked quickly across the pavement. He didn't really care what Mrs. Figg did. He was going to find the damned boy, return him home, and be back in his office before midnight. Though the night wasn't doing either of them any favor, Severus could at least use his wand. A simple searching spell would be greatly needed, though only truly effective when the person missing is nearby. His wand would heat up in his hand the nearer he came.

The streets of Little Whinging were quiet as Severus walked to Potter's primary school. The searching spell was still unresponsive as he approached the building. Not that he thought the boy would take refuge at the school. There was a shoe lying on the sidewalk, but Severus deemed it too large to be any student's at the school.

Just as he was passing a street near the school, his wand flared briefly in his pocket. Briskly walking down the lane, he felt it giving more flickers of heat. It wasn't enough that the boy might be in sight, but he was heading in the right direction.

Turning a corner led Severus to a tree-filled park. His wand was steady now and he entered the area, trying to see into the shadows, made sharper by the few lampposts. His wand suddenly burned and he looked up to find a boy staring at him from under the next lamp. It only took a moment for Severus to recognize the boy as Harry Potter. Though very unkempt, he was bathed in enough light that the scar on his forehead stood out starkly.

Just as soon as he was seen, Potter immediately ran for the shadows. "Stop!" Severus shouted, but the boy was gone.

But, with his wand still heated, it didn't take long for the man to follow him between the trees. Even without the wand, the boy was obnoxiously loud and the sound of him scrambling up one of the larger trees was deafening. Severus stopped at the foot of the tree, trying to make out the boy's shape in the shadows. The lamppost was too far away to be of much use.

"Potter! Come down from that tree immediately. You are to be returned home, now!" He was already angry and he really didn't want to climb a tree after some insolent brat. The boy didn't answer Severus and the man hissed through his teeth. "You can come down now or I can force you down. Trust me, you will not find it pleasant if I must forcibly return you to your aunt and uncle."

A brief silence, and then; "How d-do you know me? Did my uncle send you?"

His voice was soft and Severus had trouble hearing him. It only made him more irritated. "I was sent to return you. Now, come down. Now."

There was some shuffling in the branches and Severus noticed that the boy seemed to be climbing only higher. Gripping his wand in his pocket, he reminded himself that he had promised to not use magic unless necessary. However, he was quickly losing patience.

"You can… trust me, Potter. Do not give me trouble and climb down, so that I can return you." Even if the boy had already given him plenty of trouble this night.

"I can't trust you, I don't know you. Go away." The boy's words were still soft and almost inaudible.

Severus forced himself to count to ten. He would not jinx Harry Potter. He would not curse Harry Potter. He couldn't help but remember his old fantasy of never having anything to do with Potter until he was damned with his presence in school. He had imagined the scene so perfectly. He would scowl at the boy from the head table, to make sure Potter knew of his hatred. Then in class he would take every opportunity to show everyone the boy's many flaws.

He had not imagined to be coaxing the Boy-Who-Lived down from a tree like some spooked cat. "Look, Potter, I don't have all night. There are many important people who demand this task of me. Now, come down."

"Important people, like who?" He couldn't tell if the boy was being snarky or just dense.

"Professor Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts, for one. I would rather knock you from the tree and drag you home that return to him without completing his request."

"Who? Hogwarts? What are you talking about? Go away!" There was more shifting and Severus was surprised to see that the boy was getting a little closer.

"Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardly, you idiot. Can't you even remember the school your parents went to?" His urge to start shouting was only diminished by how the boy seemed to be coming closer.

"My parents? Did Dum…Dumblybore know my parents?"

Severus could see that the boy was only a branch away from being in grabbing distance. "Professor Dumbledore, and of course he knew your parents. knew your parents. But this is all irrelevant. Are you coming down?"

Potter seems to be eyeing Severus. He was sizing up the man and staying just out of reach. Even in the sparse light, the man could see his hands were white, clutching the branches. "You knew my parents?"

Severus rolled his eyes. "Did I not just say so?" he spat.

The boy seemed unaffected by his tone. "Really? What where they like? Did my mom have black hair? What is my dad's name? Where they tall? Was-?"

"Stop asking such idiotic questions. I do not have the time to chit-chat when you should have been home yesterday."

Potter looked to be weighing something over in his mind. "If I come with you, will you answer my questions?"

Severus glared at him. "You must not give me any more trouble."

The boy took that as an assent and quickly scrambled down the rest of the branches. Taking the opportunity while he was distracted, Severus sent a quick signal to Mrs. Figg. Once Potter was securely on the ground, Severus took a sharp hold of his elbow and began to take long strides out of the park.

"Ow, that hurts!" the boy complained, but Severus really couldn't care less. He was well on his way back to being back in the privacy of his study, vehemently slashing through first year potion's essays. "I thought you were going to answer my questions!"

"You can obviously still talk, can't you? But if you say anything as obtuse as before, I will not hesitate to gag you. Will you stop lagging?" Potter seemed to be intentionally dragging his feet on the pavement. He then noticed that the boy seemed to be missing a shoe and limping on the bare foot. "Where are you shoes? Are you always so careless?"

Potter was taken aback. "Oh, my cousin was chasing me and it fell off."

In the light of a lamp, Severus could see the tiny ankle was noticeably swollen and had a yellowish bruise. "Did you sprain it?"

"Umm, I don't know." He seemed a bit uncomfortable as Severs knelt down to poke at it. "It doesn't hurt too much," he said defiantly, but it was undermined by his flinches at Severus' careful prodding.

The man sighed deeply, feeling like his night was steadily growing in length. Still kneeling, he turned around. "Get on, you can't walk on that." He felt sickened by the idea of having a Potter ride on his back, but it was even more repulsive to carrying him in his arms. Of course, this would all be solved if he would just levitate the boy. But he had a feeling Dumbledore would flay him.

"Umm, it's alright. Really." But the boy wasn't even standing on that foot and Severus' patience was wearing ever thinner.

"Get on, now." His tone seemed to do the trick and the boy scrambled on. It was awkward and uncomfortable, as Severus had never held a child on his back before. It was only made worse by how Potter was also perfectly inept. "Give your legs, you idiot!"

At least the boy was light. Despite being almost eight years, he weighed of a child much younger. Severus began making purposeful steps back to Privet Drive. It was certainly the best progress all evening.

"Can you tell me about my parents?" The voice was soft and after such a silence, Severus was startled to hear it.

"Why?" he snapped. He had no idea why Potter was so stuck on that topic, seemed perfectly ridiculous at such a time.

"Cause my aunt and uncle don't like to talk about them." He said it in such a rush that Severus barely comprehended it before his next words. "What's my dad's name?"

"What? How could you not know your own father's name?" Severus severity was cut slightly since he could not turn his head enough to look at the boy.

"I told you, my aunt and uncle don't talk about them. I asked, but my aunt said she didn't know and got angry." He scoffed, as if he was the one being so deeply troubled tonight. "D'you know it or not?"

Severus rolled his eyes, but it was completely useless on Potter. "James. James Potter. Anymore questions to showcase your lacking intelligence?"

The boy was also unaffected by the question. "Really? James? Well, that's a nice name, I guess. Lily's better though. It's prettier. Was my mum pretty?"

The small hands were digging uncomfortably into Severus' jacket. He tried to shrug his shoulders, but the boy wouldn't move. "Why do you care? Loosen your hold. Are you trying to strangle me?"

The boy only gripped harder. "But was she pretty? Did you see her?"

"Of course I've seen her! And what does it matter if she was pretty? She had long red hair and fair skin and was slim. Now loosen your grip!"

The hands loosened, but only to wrap his arms around Severus' neck. At least it was a slack grip this time. "Red hair? Well, I suppose my dad had black hair then. I bet she was pretty, though."

Severus shifted his hands, his arms already aching. "You are completely daft." There was a brief, glorious silence and Severus saw the school coming into sight. Only a couple more blocks, thank Merlin.

"Did you know my mum? Was she nice?"

He made a noise akin to a growl low in his throat. "Lily had many friends and was a top student," he growled out.

"How about my dad? Was he popular?"

"I do not remember much of your father," he snapped, unwilling to progress that conversation.

He felt Potter resting his chin on his shoulder. Severus resisted the urge to shove him off, knowing it would only induce the boy to strangle the man's neck with his arms in response. "Do I look like my parents?" His voice was softer now.

"You…have you mother's eyes," Severus relented, hoping he was near the end of this torture. There was very little blood left in his arms and he could only just make out the sign for Privet Drive.

"Really?"

Severus really didn't feel like humoring him any longer, but the boy seemed to have decided to drop asking any more questions. Complete silence reigned as Severus walked up the front steps to Number Four. Without a free hand, he kicked the door until he heard movement from inside, followed by cursing.

"What in the hell? Who is there? Stop trying to knock the door down!"

The door was wrenched open by a very large, purple-faced man. Severus could only just make out a thin woman behind him, before most of his vision was obscured by two beefy arms seizing the boy from his back. Potter was mostly unresponsive and Severus noted that he must have fallen asleep. Well, he was certainly awake now and being shaken by his uncle.

"You little freak! Go running off, did you! Just think you could escape after being such a pain in the arse, did you!"

"Sir," Severus interrupted loudly, having to be heard over the man's shouting. "I would like to ask you a few questions."

The uncle didn't seem to hear him, only shaking the boy harder until Potter managed to wriggle his way out of the grip and duck behind Severus. The man didn't know why the boy would go to him for safety, but it gave him the opportunity to speak with the enraged uncle.

"Excuse me, Mr. Dursley. But I was sent to retrieve Harry Potter, because it was noticed that he was missing. I would appreciate an explanation for what happened."

Dursley then decided to direct his anger at Severus, possibly because Potter was still cowering behind him. "You! Who are you!? Coming into my house in the middle of the night for god's sake! You give that boy to me! He has caused plenty of trouble, but this is intolerable!"

The uncle tried to lunge for the boy, but Severus automatically reached around to push Potter out of the way. He needed to keep the obviously short attention span of this obese man. "I am Professor Severus Snape. I was sent by Headmaster Albus Dumbledore." Between speaking and keeping the boy securely behind him, he managed to catch the eye of the woman behind Dursley, Petunia.

"Vernon!" she shrieked and the man, miraculously, stopped. She squeezed past him, the small entry way was hardly big enough for the man. In the shock of it all, she seized Potter from behind Severus. "He ran away. That is all. He is an unthankful brat that ran away. Now please leave. We want nothing more to do with you." She practically threw Harry to his uncle and tried to slam the door on Severus.

Not pleased with the inadequate explanation, he managed a foot in the door. It was only for a moment, but he saw the massive man hurling the boy into some sort of cupboard under the stairs. Even when Petunia managed to shut the door on him, it couldn't hide the great yelling of the uncle.

"No food for two months, you idiot freak!"

 

-

 

Severus walked slowly towards the Hogwarts castle, having just apparated from Privet Drive. He had to report to the headmaster, though he certainly wasn't looking forward to it. If he had felt fatigued earlier, he now felt ready to fall asleep on his feet. The brief conversation, if that grotesque man was even capable of 'conversation', had completely drained him. He did not want to go and talk with the headmaster, he only wanted to go back to the dungeons and take a rather potent sleeping potion.

His legs were against him as he found himself somehow climbing the staircase up to the headmaster's office. He must be entirely too exhausted, because he didn't remember even saying the password.

"Ah, Severus, back so soon? I trust everything went smoothly?" The old man had the gall to smile at him with that damned twinkle in his eye. He resisted the urge to glower at him.

"I am now convinced you are seriously delusional, Headmaster," he muttered, deadpanned.

Dumbledore frowned. "Severus? Were you able to find the boy?"

"Yes," he answered shortly.

The old man seemed to be waiting for more, but Severus wasn't feeling generous. Eventually Dumbledore gave out. "I trust you returned him home?"

"Yes."

The headmaster closed his eyes, like he was speaking to a petulant child. Severus found he really didn't mind acting a little immature at the moment. "Was he safe?"

Severus rolled his eyes and snorted, but he didn't answer right away.

"You're being very trying tonight, Severus," Dumbledore stated.

The younger man glared opening. "I'm being trying? What else do you want from me?! I found the blasted Harry Potter! Cowering up a tree like some mangy cat, absolutely refused to come down until I mentioned his parents. His parents!" He started pacing, suddenly having to burn excessive energy. "Practically emaciated! Skinniest runt I've ever seen, wearing absolutely filthy oversize clothes. And he would not shut up about his damned parents. Had a sprained ankle, apparently from his cousin. But then I got him home. Great Merlin! His uncle is the fattest man I have ever seen! He immediately tore the boy from me and started to shake him. Violently! I have no idea what was going through their heads. They were absolutely furious. Like Harry bloody Potter had committed some obscene crime of returning home to them! The gall of them was unreal. They practically shoved me out the door. But I saw that fat man cramming Potter into some cupboard under the stairs, raving that the boy wouldn't be fed for two months! What in the seven hells, Headmaster, is going on in that house?!"

Severus knew he was ranting like a banshee and by the end of his tirade, he was breathing hard. It hadn't really hit him while he was with Potter, or even while he was walking back to the headmaster. But truly the most disturbing part of the night was how completely and utterly wrong it was from Severus' idle imaginings of the boy's life. This was the blessed golden son of Lily and James Potter, the boy who destroyed the Dark Lord and was revered around the world. That boy in the tree, that boy being manhandled by his uncle, was not Harry Potter.

Dumbledore waited patiently as Severus fumed. The younger man was eternally grateful, for if the headmaster spoke too soon, he would simply start screaming his thoughts again. After he finally got his breathing under control, he met the other man's calm eyes.

"Severus, what do you think needs to be done?"

"What?" He was ashamed at how soft and tired his voice suddenly sounded.

Dumbledore leaned forward, lacing his fingers. "You would not bring these concerns before me, unless you thought something must be done about the situation."

Severus stopped, trying to collect his scattered, exhausted thoughts. "He should be removed from his aunt and uncle." It was the first thing that he could form into words.

The headmaster raised his eyebrows. "Really? What is your basis?"

He looked at Dumbledore, disbelieving. "Did you just grow deaf?" He seemed to be running out of breath again.

The headmaster sighed. "I understand your concerns, and I comprehend your worries."

Severus scoffed. "I am not concerned or worried for Harry Potter."

Dumbledore continued to speak, as though he didn't hear. "But your view may be slightly clouded. That home is the safest place in the world for Harry Potter. It will take considerable evidence for me to remove him."

Severus forced himself to calm down. "I know what I saw, it wasn't… healthy."

"And I will take it into consideration. In the meantime, I would advise you to gather more evidence. You have seen only a small moment in Harry's life. Perhaps it isn't all as it seems."

Severus could feel his lips forming a taunt line. "No, I refuse to move any further into Harry Potter's life. In fact, I would like to forget completely about it and go to bed." He even started to turn around when Dumbledore's impatient voice stopped him.

"Do not mistake me for being unconcerned. I am merely trying to digest what is best for Harry. Both you and I know that Lord Voldemort, for all appearances, has been defeated. But we both know that such a mysterious death can't be all it seems. Harry needs to be given the best protection, but he also needs to be cared for. What you have suggested, certainly sounds less than care, but we must be cautious."

He paused, as if waiting for Severus to come back into the conversation. But the younger man didn't quite feel capable at the moment. Eventually he managed. "Are you suggesting something?"

Dumbledore leaned back, stroking his long beard thoughtfully. "What seems the best course, is to communicate with Harry, something which I have neglected these many years. A letter, perhaps."

"So you plan to write him a letter?" It sounded like a dubious course of action.

The headmaster had a dangerous twinkle in his eye. "No, you will."

Severus repeated the words several times, making sure he had heard correctly. "Why would you suggest such a ludicrous thing?" He eventually managed.

Dumbledore chuckled quietly. "Not so ludicrous. By far more ludicrous for me to send young Harry a letter. He has little to no knowledge of me. But you, Severus, he has met. And from what I could gather earlier, he might have an interest in you. Perhaps he's willing to confide in you."

"I refuse," Severus stated bluntly.

The headmaster pretended to look surprised. "Really? You seemed so passionate before about the matter. I would draw the conclusion that you would be quite willing to dig to the bottom of this."

The young man sighed, closing his eyes against an oncoming headache. "I was not passionate. I am simply tired because I have been running around for several hours after a full day of classes." When Dumbledore didn't immediately speak, he continued: "I've have played your little game all night and I refuse to carry on."

"Surely you don't think this is a game?" Severus denied him an answer, only because he knew the headmaster would continue. "Severus, I would not toy with you."

"Of course you would. You have always enjoyed placing people as pawns on your master chessboard," he spat.

"Then trust me."

Severus stood his ground, but the headmaster seemed to refuse to speak more. The younger man certainly didn't want give him the pleasure of an answer. So instead, he left. He tried to slam the office door, but the damned thing seemed to have a charm on it. So he made due with stomping his feet like a child all the way down the spiral staircase.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2525