Unsaid by Dianaartemis
Summary: "Perhaps a man with a prerogative to redeem himself in the memory of the mother would, in turn, give comfort to a child so justifiably desperate for it,” Dumbledore grinned at the other man’s unbidden expression of shock. “But when said like that, it hardly encompasses the depth of emotion I would expect when I see the person in question has cradled Harry Potter to sleep after a nightmare.” “I-I...” Severus scowled. “I was not cradling him.”
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 35746 Read: 66840 Published: 29 Apr 2011 Updated: 20 May 2011
Chapter 5 by Dianaartemis

 

Severus Snape was having a bad day. This morning, true to his word, a first year managed to blow up her cauldron. He had to cancel afternoon classes and clean up the acidic sludge that built up on every surface. He couldn't even make the student do it for detention; the girl had suffered severe burns and was still in the hospital wing.

He knew, deep down, that he couldn't blame her really. The silly Hufflepuffs needed to always be taken by the hand. Which he usually did, even if it was the form of an iron fist. But he had been entirely too distracted to notice the dangerous concoction that was brewing right under his nose.

Yes, he took on the task of painstakingly cleaning the dungeons with relish because Severus Snape was entirely too distracted.

But it was little use. Retiring in his private quarters, he couldn't even have a glass of firewhisky. He needed to take another sleeping potion tonight and he wasn't about to put himself into a coma. Though it was tempting.

Severus massaged his developing headache and sank low in his chair. He should really be grading papers or trying to figure out how to make up the lost classes. But he couldn't, because every time he had a moment to breathe, he was thinking of that damned boy.

Harry bloody Potter, Boy-Who-Lived indeed. That was not some savior of the world on that back stoop. That was a child crying with his mother's eyes, crying because the relatives that mistreat him, neglect him and evenabuse him just might not want him. Severus didn't know what he had been expecting, but it wasn't the insecurity, that childish, irrational need to be wanted.

But what was Severus expecting? Harry Potter was seven years old and probably thought he deserved to live in a cupboard. He was seven, not seventeen, not twenty seven, not old enough to see that most of the wizarding world would die to call him their son.

Severus looked into the fireplace, realizing that he had been daydreaming again. It was pathetic really. And he entirely blamed Dumbledore. For everything. That old man only lived to torment him, and take great pleasure in it all. Oh yes, Severus remembered what he said while Harry had been gawking at his new room, if it could even be called that, completely overrun with junk as it was.

"Should we really be letting him stay with the Dursleys, sir?"

Dumbledore looked at him with that mad twinkle in his eye. "Do you want to take him?" He had said, far too kindly.

Severus couldn't even answer, even now, if Dumbledore wanted to spring that on him again. But he did admit to having a horrible feeling leaving the boy with those revolting muggles. Dumbledore assured him that Harry could keep the room, but Harry didn't seem to believe it, and nor did Severus.

But what was the point of the room anyway? It would just become another place to lock him away. He had nothing in that cupboard, only that family tree and those silly letters. He owned nothing, no toys, not even clothes. For after seeing his cousin, it was obvious Harry's clothes were all hand-me-downs.

Dumbledore had also informed Severus that the boy knew next to nothing about the magical world. His relations, having such hatred for it, had told him his parent's died in a car crash. Severus groaned, cradling his head in his hands. He could almost imagine James being that idiotic for a car to kill him, but Lily? Never Lily. She was always too clever. She never deserved to die, but her son deserved to at least know how she died.

"Severus?"

It was the devil himself and Severus really didn't want to talk to him. "I am far too busy to chat, headmaster," he replied dully to the head bobbing in his fireplace.

Dumbledore merely chuckled and flooed through, wiping of the ash from his robes. "May I join you?"

Severus glowered at him. "I am sulking. What is there to join?"

"Ah, so you do admit it." He settled himself down in a chair across from him, making himself look far too comfortable. "There really is no reason to sulk. You were not the one trying to make reason with his relatives."

Oh, how quickly they got on the topic of Harry Potter. Severus sighed, feeling like he should somehow pity the headmaster. But in retrospect, dealing with irrational muggles seemed much more reasonable than trying to comfort a child who thinks he isn't loved by anyone in the world, and is entirely correct. It wasn't hard to think which one Severus would rather take over. "I have just come to the extraordinary conclusion that I would have been much better suited to taking on his oaf of an uncle. Next time we have tea with the Dursleys, you'll handle Harry."

"Harry?"

Severus rolled his eyes. "Potter, whatever."

Dumbledore crossed his fingers, getting that contemplative look on his face. "Severus, have you written him another letter yet?"

"No, I have not written him a blasted letter. I saw him yesterday." Really, he was far too tired to be carrying on a conversation. "And what does it matter if I ever write him another letter. I surely wouldn't show it to you again."

"I'm not going to force you into visiting him again, I assure you. I merely ask because, as I informed you yesterday, he knows very little of our world, his world. Though I am sure he was plenty distracted yesterday, I know he will have many questions. He has heard about Hogwarts several times after all. He is sure to be curious." He paused, staring at the younger man carefully. "He will also need to know the truth about his parents."

Severus stared at him. "You can't expect me to write that in a letter."

Dumbledore nodded. "I'm not holding you back from visiting him."

"Let me rephrase, you can't expect me to tell him that." Severus stood up and retrieved a headache cure from his stores. It immediately relieved the pain, but he could still feel the tension in his neck. Walking back to the hearth, he was disappointed to see Dumbledore still sitting there thoughtfully.

He sat down heavily, but the headmaster didn't look at him as he spoke. "Do you feel unworthy, Severus?"

"I don't feel unworthy, I am. I gave up all my worth at the age of seventeen in exchange for a curse burned on my arm." He hadn't talked about his Dark Mark for many years, yet it so easily slipped his tongue, it almost made him feel sick. Perhaps it was because of Dumbledore, whom he hated so violently, because the man knew absolutely everything of Severus' weaknesses. It was terrifying, having such a powerful wizard under his skin. And it was also terrifying, because Severus knew Dumbledore would always protect him.

He noticed that the headmaster had been silent to his statement, but when he looked at the old man, he could see pity there. He hated the pity, whether or not he deserved it. "Ah, I see now."

It was not quite the response he was expecting. "What are you talking about now?"

Dumbledore's eyes were smiling, not quite the inane twinkling, but the kind when he really wanted to smile, but he knew Severus wouldn't appreciate it very much. "You thought it all out, didn't you?" He wasn't disdainful, but Severus still felt like he was a child again. "You've known that Harry Potter would come to this school and that you would be forced to meet him, teach him. And you had a plan, a plan to make Harry hate you."

Severus scowled at him. "I have no idea what you are talking about."

Dumbledore wasn't even listening. "Oh, my dear boy, you did indeed have it all planned out. You would probably glare at him, give him trouble in class, stalk him outside of class in order to put down any transgression. You would make him hate you and you would feel like you deserved it." He had been slowly grinning, figuring out the puzzle of Severus' life and putting the finer pieces together. But suddenly he frowned, the childish glee leaving him. "You knew that no matter how much he looked like James, he would still have Lily. And you wanted Lily to hate you. Why, Severus? I must ask."

The younger man stared into the fire like it was the most entertaining phenomenon in the world. "I think you know why." His voice had gone hoarse.

Dumbledore sighed. "I do know why, but I don't think you do."

"And why do you think that?"

"Because if you knew, if you truly understood the reasons that make you push away the people you love most, then you would realize the utter incomprehensibility of it all."

Severus looked at the headmaster, but Dumbledore had leaned back, his eyes closed. "That conclusion was obscurely convoluted. What are you expecting me to take from that?"

Dumbledore chuckled under his breath. "I'm expecting you to write a letter to Harry."

 

-

 

Harry Potter was having a bad day. He woke up with a headache from all his crying yesterday. Though he should consider it a blessing that the Dursleys were ignoring him, he found it annoying on the one occasion that he actually wanted to talk to them about what Professor Dumbledore said to them. As he recalled what happened yesterday, there were many things he wanted to know. Like how Dumbledore made that tea set, what Hogwarts was, and if he somehow cursed the Dursleys into giving him a room. Because of all this, he couldn't concentrate at all in school and was even sent to the hallway for being insolent.

It didn't help that Dudley was really angry at him for taking his second bedroom, and since Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia were unaffected by his tantrums, he took it out on Harry. He had spent most of the day trying to avoid his cousin. He eventually just stayed in his room all afternoon, even though it was a nice day.

It was evening now and Harry felt the cool breeze from his open window. The Dursleys didn't invite him down to dinner anymore, nor did his aunt wake him in the morning. That was fine, though. His groggy uncle and cousin were enough to get him awake in time for breakfast.

He was just considering going to sleep when he heard a tap on the window. He sat up, wondering if it was raining. A very large owl stared back at him and Harry gave a soft scream and almost fell off his bed. He looked at the owl warily, wondering if it was going to come in or just go away.

The bird was looking at him and not moving from the windowsill. Harry then noticed it was holding its leg out awkwardly and there was something attached to it. He wondered if it was some sort of tag. Maybe it was someone's pet that got lost.

Harry approached the window slowly, not wanting to scare the owl. But the creature just stared patiently back at him and did not even flinch when Harry reached for its leg. It was a letter, not a tag and Harry could see his name on the front. He looked back to the owl, which did not move to fly away. Feeling daring, Harry reached out and carefully touched its head. The bird hooted softly and blinked its eyes. Harry smiled, he always wanted a pet. But the Dursleys knew Dudley would quickly get bored of any pet, and then leave his aunt to take care of it all the time.

After a few strokes, the owl nipped at his fingers gently then flew to the top of his dresser where it made itself comfortable. Harry, still smiling at it, went to sit on his bed and look at his letter.

 

To Harry Potter

 

If you have any needs, attach a reply to the owl.

 

Prof. S. Snape

 

It was very short and Harry was a little angry. He suddenly looked at the owl who was sitting at the top of his dresser, preening itself, and glared. It had little effect and it didn't make Harry feel any better. He liked Professor Snape. He didn't yell at Harry for crying and even put a hand on his shoulder. He liked that a lot, although he knew he should probably be embarrassed for acting like a baby. Harry just wished Snape's letters would be longer.

There was a soft knock on his door and Harry was surprised to find Aunt Petunia standing there with a small plate of food. She was frowning deeply and shoved the plate so quickly at Harry that some of his peas fell on the floor.

"You are to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day," she said in a high voice, like she was mocking someone. Harry didn't know how to reply, but she just sneered at him anyway. "On Tuesday we are visiting Aunt Marge for the Easter break. You tell…them that you will be away from home." She spat the words out and abruptly walked away.

Harry sighed and put his plate of food, already cold, on his bed. He had forgotten all about Easter break. The owl flew down from the dresser and pecked at the rest of his peas. He let it eat, not feeling very hungry. "You know Aunt Marge has these horrible dogs that growl and bite. She likes them when they chase me, because she thinks it will make me stop getting in trouble." The owl hooted softly, now looking at the floor for the remaining peas. Harry smiled as it walked awkwardly. "You are a much better pet. You came from Hogwarts, right? What is it like there? Do they pull rabbits out of hats? Or maybe they pull owls out of hats?"

The bird fluffed its feathers, almost resentfully and Harry giggled.

"I guess I shouldn't ask you, but I don't want to ask Snape. He never answers my questions." He frowned looking at the discarded letter. Despite his annoyance with it, he wanted to put it on the wall. He was sure there was some sellotape around in the room somewhere. He hadn't figured out how Dumbledore stuck them to the wall yet. They just stuck there.

Harry stood up very quickly, frightening the owl back to the dresser. He just had a brilliant idea. He wouldn't send a letter to Snape, he would send one to Dumbledore. The old man seemed very nice.

Harry found an old stationary set of Dudley's next to a bookcase of unread books and quickly went to work.

 

Dear Dumbly Dimplydor DumpldorDumbltor Headmaster of Hogwarts

 

Harry frowned, but continued writing anyway.

 

How are you? My ant sayd I shuld tell you that we ar going to ant Marge for Easter Holiday. I don't like ant Marge because her dogs bit me. Can I come to Hogwarts insted? Snape nevr writs much in his letters and use big words. Do you take rabbits out of hats?

 

Harry

 

Harry didn't know what Hogwarts would be like, but Snape had mentioned that his parents went there, hadn't he? In any case, it would better than a week of Aunt Marge's dogs. Harry folded it up, feeling a little bad for not writing to Snape. But maybe if Dumbledore replied back, he would apologize.

 

-

 

Severus Snape was walking into the Great Hall just as the owl post was coming in. He saw a familiar school owl fly over him, but instead of stopping at his usual place, it went to Dumbledore instead. Severus thought perhaps he had mistaken the owl. But it was still strange for the headmaster to receive the morning post. Most things sent to him were through more private means.

Severus settled himself down, but was disrupted by uproarious laughter from down the table. He looked and saw that Dumbledore was clutching the letter, nearly crying tears of mirth. McGonagall was looking at him warily, but also trying to sneak a look at the parchment he had received. But the headmaster abruptly stood up and walked to Severus. The younger man knew he should be on his guard.

"I have received a most interesting correspondence. Care to join me in my office after you're done eating?" He didn't wait for a reply, but placed the letter on Severus' plate and ambled off, chuckling to himself like a mad man.

Sprout was looking very interested in the letter, as was McGonagall, so Severus quickly stuffed it in his robes to look at later. Even without reading it, he could recognize the abysmal penmanship of Harry Potter.

Pretending like the porridge was the most delicious food he had ever eaten, he ignored the looks from the teachers around him. He was also distracted by the thought that Harry had written to Dumbledore instead of him. Not that he minded that the headmaster got a taste of the incomprehensibility of the boy's writing technique, but he wondered if he somehow acted inappropriately the last time he saw Harry.

Not that he minded too terribly much if the boy realized that Severus wasn't the friendliest of men. He just wished he knew what actions he took so that he would use them later, if necessary.

He didn't read the letter until he was almost to Dumbledore's office and nearly walked into a wall because of it. It was the most ridiculous letter of Harry's yet. The boy was obviously confused of his relationship with the headmaster and the professor. But the fact that Dumbledore gave the note to Severus was a very ominous sign.

When he found himself at the gargoyle, he knew he had to think of something to say to Dumbledore. The old man probably had in mind to bring the boy to Hogwarts for the holidays, but Severus had very little interest in that. The headmaster would undoubtedly make him take care of Harry. And Severus had a habit of using his precious free time for experimenting in the lab. He wasn't going to babysit a child. But Dumbledore would be expecting that and somehow guilt the younger man into giving into to his demands.

Severus suddenly smirked, or he could catch the oh-so-clever Albus Dumbledore off guard. Perhaps by willingly taking Harry for Easter, he could show the man how very incompatible they were. Severus would no doubt be snappish at the boy for being a disturbance, and thus have to give out punishment. Harry would be very bored in the dungeons and beg to just go home and never want to see Severus again. It would all be over in a matter of days, perhaps even hours if Severus had his way.

Then Dumbledore would never bother him again with Harry Potter and things would go back to the track it was meant to be.

 

-

 

Dear Harry Potter

 

After a deliberation with Professor Snape, we are glad to invite you to Hogwarts for the Easter Break. And I have a feeling that your aunt and uncle would be most accommodating if you were to only mention that you are staying with Mrs. Figg. They will know you are in the best of care. When they drop you off at her home, we will be there to escort you to Hogwarts.

Prof. Snape's vocabulary does indeed involve many large words. But do not fret, I myself will sometimes just nod and smile when I don't know what he is talking about. He doesn't notice, I promise.

I must confess that I have never tried to pull a rabbit out of a hat. I shall practice for you so that you can see it upon your arrival.

 

Sincerely

 

Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

(though I am rather fond of Dimplydor)

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2525