Blindside by Metempsychosis
Summary: Albus Dumbledore admits he often asks too much, but this time he has decided to ask something altogether different. With the shadows of war encircling them all, it will take incredible wit and strength to see his soldiers through to the end. What he needs, more than anything, is for them to work together - and Albus is nothing if not full of ideas on how to make the impossible happen.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 30520 Read: 19907 Published: 17 May 2011 Updated: 14 Jun 2011
Chapter 5: Summer Safety by Metempsychosis

The day had started out rather bleakly. Harry had spent the vast majority of the night tossing and turning in his sleep, trying in vain to drag himself out of the nightmares filling his mind. He finally managed to jerk himself awake after Hermione got the Cruciatus curse from Bellatrix Lestrange and Ron was tossed bodily through the Veil as the ghosts of his parents yelled at him to do something rather than just stand there watching his friends suffer and die.

He'd known, ever he was a child, that he had the ability to dream quite vividly. Most of the time his mind had stayed true to memory, but every now and again there would be something new - or slightly altered - from what Harry knew to be true. These slight changes often made the nightmares far worse than the memories themselves, and as he grew older the changes to fact became more and more extreme. Sometimes the people would change, making the context of what was happening become alarming in a manner that would leave him a little twitchy and often result in him snapping at his friends without meaning to. With the memories Harry had, it was often bad enough to have a nightmare based on pure fact, but when Cedric became one of his friends, or the Death Eaters transformed into members of the Order as he was tortured, it always hurt more than the truth when he finally managed to wake.

Dragging himself out of bed, Harry had determinedly ignored the pain in his hand from yesterday and waited until Aunt Petunia opened his bedroom door to let him use the washroom before making breakfast. Still trying to shake the all-to-real sound of Hermione's screams from his mind, Harry was just pulling out the pans when the doorbell rang. He heard Uncle Vernon growl something as Aunt Petunia bustled to the door, wondering audibly who would be calling at such an absurd hour of the morning. Harry had no intention of paying much attention beyond that, proceeding to cut up the peppers for his relatives omelettes when his Aunt's sudden screech from the hallway had him spinning around with the knife still in hand. He was poised as though prepared to cast a defensive spell even as Vernon rose sharply to his feet and stormed out into the hallway.

Harry would rather have taken another dose of Skele-Gro than admit the genuine fear he had felt in the moments between Aunt Petunia's scream and Uncle Vernon's advance to the doorway. Most of him was wildly thinking about Death Eaters and wards failing, while a small part of him was honestly terrified that something had just happened to his Aunt. There was no love lost between them, but that didn't change the fact she was still his mother's sister and he could not stand the thought of yet another person dying because of him. Thankfully, all of this fear was obliterated from his mind as Uncle Vernon bellowed at full volume, "You again! What - get out of my house!"

Setting down the knife, Harry rushed to the hallway expecting to find Arthur Weasley, or maybe Mad-Eye. His face almost broke in two when it split into a huge grin at the sight of just who blocked the Dursley doorway. Hagrid was half-hunched over as he stood in the hallway and glared down at the Dursley's. Aunt Petunia was white as a sheet, her hand over her heart as though she'd just experienced a heart attack, while Uncle Vernon's face had become one of its more vibrant shades of purple.

"How dare you just walk in here after what you did to our son - " Uncle Vernon was cut off by the sight of Hagrid's pink umbrella, which was now pointed menacingly at his nose. Still grinning, Harry carefully skirted his Aunt and stepped onto the stairs so that Hagrid could see him. Sure enough, the half-giant turned at the motion from behind the Dursley's, and whatever he might have been about to say or do to Vernon was forgotten at the sight of the boy.

"Harry! Up an' at em are yeh?" Hagrid asked jovially, treating Harry to a large grin. "Go an; get yer things Harry, I'll be taking yer back to Hogwarts today. Dumbledore's orders," He added with an air of importance that Vernon apparently took offense to.

"Now see here," He started, but Hagrid cut him off rather sharply in Harry's opinion. He knew that his large friend was no fan of the Dursley's, but it was unusual to see something so close to a temper in the friendly half-giant.

"Shove it, Dursley, if yeh know what's good for yeh."

Deciding to get his things before Hagrid got himself into any trouble by performing magic, Harry dashed up the stairs and began throwing everything he owned back into his trunk. His mind was whirling - he'd never, ever been taken from the Dursley home this early into the summer. Not only that, he'd certainly never been taken to Hogwarts - it was the Weasley's or more recently, Grimmauld Place. Harry didn't know what had changed Dumbledore's mind and, even if it turned out to be something horrible, the fact he was getting away from the Dursley's after just two weeks was so exhilarating he didn't care.

Placing the last of his things from their hidden compartment under the floorboard into his trunk, Harry grabbed Hedwig's cage and made his way down the stairs in time to overhear Vernon saying Harry would not be going anywhere. Remembering his Uncle's threat from last night, Harry moved down the stairs as quickly as he could in the hopes of trying to just rush out the door before any real confrontations could be had. He had just made it to the landing when he heard Aunt Petunia utter a statement that shocked him so much he stood rooted to the spot.

"We're the boy's legal guardians. You can't take him anywhere if we don't allow it."

Her voice was quiet, but there was a thread of steel in her voice Harry had never heard before. Bolstered by his wife's statement, Vernon puffed himself up and narrowed his piggy eyes at Hagrid. "That's right. You even so much as take another step in this house, and we'll call the cops, you hear me? The boy's our responsibility and if we say he's not going, then he ruddy well shall not be going!"

A sick feeling rose up inside Harry and he looked at Hagrid desperately, praying the half-giant had some sort of argument for this. He had never before considered his relatives legal standing with him until that moment and it unnerved him greatly to think they had such power over him. Hagrid, much to Harry's shock and the indignation of the Dursley's, tilted his head back and laughed.

"Yer mad, Dursley, if yeh think Muggle threats like that are gonna work. Come on Harry - "

"Its the law," Petunia hissed, stepping forward as though to give Hagrid a stern talking to, but the half-giant had more intellect than even Harry gave him credit for.

"Yeh ain't got the papers ter prove it Dursley, an yeh know it as good as I do. As fer yer cops - I know a bit about Muggles, y'know. They got laws about child abuse, did yer know that?"

This statement had an alarming affect on the three standing in the hallway. Petunia's face drained of all color as she stepped back suddenly, as though she had just been slapped harshly. Vernon's face grew, if at all possible, even redder, while Harry looked torn between sicking up and attempting to Apparate despite having no idea how to do it, just to escape this.

"How dare you insinuate - "

"I'm no idiot Dursley!" Hagrid bellowed, causing Petunia to let out a startled cry and Vernon to actually step back reflexively. "Kid ne'er goes home durin the holidays, do he? Always looks like he ain't had a thing ter eat after a summer with you folk. I ain't said a thing - not one thing - outta respect for Harry - but don' yeh dare act like yeh got rights to im when yeh treat im as yeh do!"

Feeling incredibly ill and embarrassed, Harry edged down the rest of the stairs and squeezed past his Aunt, hoping he could just leave with Hagrid without this getting any worse. Unfortunately, his Uncle was a bit harder to get by and, in the desperate hope that Vernon was shell-shocked enough to not be fully thinking straight, Harry politely asked the man to excuse him.

The events that passed in the following few moments took place so quickly that Harry was left feeling dizzy and shaken by the time he and Hagrid had stepped over the threshold of Arabella Figg's doorway. Vernon had spun around, his expression more wild than Harry had ever seen it - worse, by far, than the expression that day at the zoo - and yelled something about slander and lies just as Dudley finally made himself known. He stepped around the corner that led to his room, saw Hagrid and let out a terrified squeal. Vernon seemed to take this as a sign of wrong doing and grabbed Harry roughly by his shoulder, bellowing for him to go to his room, now, before suddenly the man was tossed back along the hallway, the force of Hagrid's push almost enough to send the fat Muggle sprawling.

Before Harry could even fully grasp what had happened, a heavy hand fell on his shoulder and his trunk disappeared as Hagrid propelled him from number four, Privet Drive and took the trunk himself. Petunia cried something that Harry didn't catch and moments later, they were inside Mrs. Figg's house.

Dazed, Harry looked up at Hagrid, who appeared to be composing himself. After a moment's silence, Mrs. Figg came bustling out to see what the trouble was. "Harry? What happened child, you look as pale as death!" She exclaimed, startled by the haggard appearance of the two now standing in her hall. Harry didn't quite know what to say, so he looked back at Hagrid. The half-giant's face had lost its ruddy color and he appeared calm as he stated gruffly that he'd had an 'altercation' with Mr. Dursley.

"Foul man," Mrs. Figg muttered, before waving Harry in. "Come in child, come in. You'll need the Floo, won't you Hagrid?"

"Nah," Hagrid grunted as he tucked Harry's trunk under one arm and placed a surprisingly gentle hand on the boy's shoulder. "Takin the Knight Bus, we are. Jus' though' we'd check in with yeh firs'. Mind if we use the alley then?"

"No no, by all means," Mrs. Figg murmured, waving them toward the back of her house. Urged along by Hagrid, Harry stepped out into the backyard and made his way to the alley, aware of Mrs. Figg standing out on her porch, watching them. As Hagrid pulled out his umbrella to summon the Knight Bus, he looked down at Harry with an expression so filled with emotion that the boy had trouble deciding which one was the most prevalent.

"M sorry bou' losin' mah temper like tha' Harry. Could nah believe the nerve of them Dursley's. Legal guardians - pah! An him grabbin yeh like tha' Harry - s'not on, that. Jus' not on." He muttered, but Harry was saved from replying by the arrival of the Knight Bus. Stepping aboard, Harry was mildly interested when Hagrid asked for the Leaky Cauldron but he chose to say nothing as he took a seat on one of the beds.

"Yeh alrigh there, Harry?" Hagrid asked as he took a seat across from the boy, looking a bit ashamed of himself. Still a bit shaken by the entire scene, Harry managed to dredge up a smile for his oldest friend and nod. He honestly did not know how he felt about what had just transpired. That Hagrid had confronted the Dursley's on Harry's treatment in such a way made him feel both grateful and ashamed that it had even been necessary. He had been surprised Hagrid knew about child abuse laws and horrified by the threat of them - he could just imagine the Daily Prophet's field day if his life at the Dursley's was ever revealed.

The fact Hagrid had pushed Uncle Vernon was shocking, but not too alarming. Harry trusted Hagrid considerably and knew the man would never actually hurt someone. He had been defending Harry, the boy knew that much, and he had a horrible habit of miscalculating his own strength. A bit of a stagger across the hallway was probably nothing compared to what could have happened to Vernon if Hagrid had truly felt like giving him what for. Deciding to just push the whole argument to the side for now, Harry looked at Hagrid and asked what had been on his mind before the confrontation.

"How come I'm getting picked up so early Hagrid? Did something bad happen?"

To his intense relief, Hagrid gave him a smile and shook his head. "Oh nah, nothin bad Harry. No' to sure what's goin on in Dumbledore's head, but he wanted me ter pick yeh up and take yeh out ter breakfast."

Harry blinked at this, wondering why he'd needed to pack his things if that's all Dumbledore had wanted Hagrid to do - and wondering a bit at why Dumbledore wanted him taken out to breakfast - when Hagrid carried on.

"Gonna be taken yeh ter see him after, see. He's go' summat up his sleeve, Dumbledore does."

Harry couldn't help the grim, bitter smile that crossed his face at that statement. Dumbledore quite often had 'summat up his sleeve' and Harry was just beginning to resent that. He wondered briefly if he was going to be punished for his temper tantrum in the man's office when the bus came to a sudden, screeching halt that sent him tumbling right off the bed. Hagrid chuckled as he helped Harry back up and off the bus. Before they headed into the Leaky Cauldron, Hagrid turned to Harry and told him to release Hedwig.

"She's a smart bird Harry - she'll know where ter find yeh. She'll appreciate it more n' the way we're gonna be goin."

Imagining taking Hedwig through the Floo, Harry grimaced and nodded before opening the ows cage. She gave him a slight glare, not altogether pleased to be cast out during the day when she'd much rather be sleeping, before letting out a soft hoot and taking off. Rising with Hedwig's cage held firmly in one hand, Harry followed Hagrid inside the Leaky Cauldron. Thankfully, Harry didn't have to concern himself with what terrifying dishes might be considered breakfast at this particular establishment as Hagrid took Harry directly to the large fireplaces at the back.

Harry was about to remind Hagrid of his last misadventure with this mode of magical transformation when the man held what looked like a peacock feather under his nose. Without meaning to, Harry felt himself stiffen and glance at Hagrid with mild alarm. As though sensing Harry's unease, Hagrid bent down and murmured, "I was the one tha' brough' yeh ter the Dursley's when yeh was jus' a babe, n I was the one ter give yeh yer Hogwarts letter to. Gave that cousin o' yers a nice gift ter remember me by too."

Harry couldn't help but smile at the memory of Dudley with a pigs tail and he quietly thanked Hagrid as he reached out and wrapped his hand around the feather. Portkeys were perhaps his least favorite way to travel, ever since the Tri-Wizard Tournament, but he trusted that Hagrid really was who he said he was. There was a moment of Hagrid smiling fondly at him, and then the uncomfortable feeling of a hook came, followed by a dizzying spinning sensation and the all-to-familiar feeling of being slammed unceremoniously into the ground.

Rolling a bit, Harry gazed up at the sky and wondered in an almost nonsensical manner how many times he'd been thrown at the ground by some force or other, be it Muggle relatives, broom jinxes, duels or portkeys. The clouds above were replaced by Hagrid's amused face as the half-giant bent over him and asked if he was alright. Grinning somewhat painfully, Harry groaned and rolled over before rising to his feet.

For a brief moment, Harry was completely disoriented, before he recognized the building in front of him. Glancing up, he found the sign of the Three Broomsticks to confirm what he suspected, before looking over at Hagrid.

"Well, in yeh go! Can' order nuthin out here, can we?" Hagrid asked brightly as he ushered Harry inside.

Breakfast at the Three Broomsticks was a surprisingly comforting affair. Madame Rosmerta slathered his pancakes with far more whipped cream and berries than there should have been, which reminded Harry so much of Mrs. Weasley that he ended up giving the woman one of his brightest smiles and a genuine thank you before digging in. Hagrid seemed content to nurse a large tankard of Butterbeer and simply watch Harry eat, which could have been uncomfortable but was instead reassuring. It left Harry feeling cared for and oddly protected, which for an alarming moment almost choked him with emotion as it brought thoughts of Sirius forcefully to mind.

The Three Broomsticks was bright in the sunlight and his pancakes were so sweet he was sure Hermione would have had a panic attack at the sight of them, and the surprisingly motherly way Madame Rosmerta topped up his pumpkin juice and smiled at him managed to keep Harry from getting lost in the gloom. He smiled at Hagrid when he finished and had the rather unusual urge to hug Madame Rosmerta before they left. Thankfully, he managed to quash it before he did anything embarrassing, and he was soon happily trotting after Hagrid toward the castle.

There was a comfortable silence between himself and Hagrid as they made their way toward the school, and the closer they got the more excited Harry became. He wasn't sure if he would be spending the summer at Hogwarts - and in truth the logical part of him doubted it highly - but the fact he was out of the Dursley house after just two weeks and was seeing his real home again so soon was positively euphoric.

"Yer no' mad with me, are yeh Harry?" Hagrid asked suddenly as they made their way up the final hill before they would be on Hogwarts grounds.

"What?" Harry asked, somewhat startled by the sudden break in silence as well as momentarily confused by the question. "Oh - no, I'm not." He reassured the man, before explaining, "It was a bit...embarrassing, really. Its not like I ever say anything about the Dursley's, so I guess I was just shocked." He took a moment to fight down a flush of shame before he said in a quieter tone, "Thanks though, Hagrid. For everything."

He wasn't sure how much he was thanking Hagrid for, but a part of him felt like it really was for everything. His first Hogwarts letter, Hedwig, the man's friendship, the defense against the Dursley's, all of it.

There was a gruff sound from Hagrid, and Harry had to fight down a grin as he realized he'd embarrassed his friend as well. At least it was a good reason to be embarrassed.

Stepping through the doors of Hogwarts castle, Harry had to fight down the explosion of hope that blossomed suddenly and sharply in his chest. He knew he couldn't stay here, and he was extremely grateful to be back so soon, but it was hard not to hope it could be more than just a short visit.

Hagrid led him to the entryway to Dumbledore's office and paused, giving the password that almost made Harry trip over his own feet at how blatantly obvious it was.

"Lemon Drops."

The gargoyle swung about, and the two made their way up the stairs, Hagrid with Harry's trunk once again under his arm and Harry with Hedwig's cage in one hand. At the door, Hagrid knocked and it opened of its own accord. Stepping inside, Harry was mildly astonished to note the office looked exactly as it had before his temper - perhaps even a bit more cluttered, even. Sitting mildly at his desk was the Headmaster, his hand gently stroking the bright red and orange plumage of his phoenix, Fawkes.

"Ah, Harry! I trust your trip went well?" Dumbledore greeted, though his gaze shifted so quickly to Hagrid as he asked that Harry felt the bottom of his stomach drop out. Suddenly regretting the overly sweet breakfast, Harry fought determinedly with his body so as not to reintroduce himself to the Headmaster by hurling all over his floor.

"Yes sir," He choked out at last, when he no longer felt like speaking would cause him to gag. His reaction caused Hagrid to frown and, terrified of what the half-giant might blurt out, Harry quickly smiled at him and said, "I'm alright now Hagrid. I think the Headmaster needs to talk to me alone for a bit now, though."

As he said it, Harry knew it was a gamble, but even if Dumbledore didn't send Hagrid away, at least it was clear Harry didn't want Hagrid to say anything. Thankfully however, Dumbledore agreed with this statement and Hagrid took his leave, but not without patting Harry on the shoulder in what was meant to be a gentle manner, but had enough force to it to almost cause the boy's knees to buckle.

Once the man had left, Harry once again had a minor argument with his stomach as he ducked his head and made his way to the chair across from Dumbledore, leaving Hedwig's cage where Hagrid had left his trunk. Taking a seat, Harry was genuinely shocked and relieved when the first words out of Dumbledore's mouth were, "Please look at me Harry."

Lifting his head, Harry gazed at the Headmaster pleadingly, hoping against hope that the man wasn't going to go back to ignoring him like last year. He was surprised by the Headmaster's rather chagrined expression, which faded into a small smile.

"You will remember Harry, that I confessed to you last year that I am capable of making mistakes?" At Harry's mute nod, the Headmaster continued. "I would like to stress again the fact that ignoring you was one of those mistakes. I was not trying to avoid you just now, my boy."

Grateful for the Headmaster's ability to read him, Harry gave a slim smile before taking a slow breath and asking, "Why am I here, sir? I mean - trust me, I'm glad of it, but - " Something shadowed the Headmaster's face briefly, cutting Harry off as he stared in disturbed shock. For one, brief second, Harry found himself genuinely afraid of the old man in front of him. The moment passed and Harry was left to wonder just what it was he had seen when Dumbledore rose to his feet and walked over to the window overlooking the grounds. There was a long moment of silence, before he spoke again. When he did, Harry found himself wishing Dumbledore had chosen not to say a word.

"It has come to my attention recently, Harry, that your home life is far worse than I ever would have imagined." This statement alone was enough to root Harry to the spot, but Dumbledore was not even close to being finished. "I knew, of course, that you were not happy. You said as much yourself, twice. There is nothing I wish more, Harry, then that I had listened to you then. Once again it appears that I have made a very large mistake in regards to you, my boy. I do hope that one day, you will find it in your heart to forgive me."

Harry attempted to speak here, attempted to find something that he could say in response to this, but Dumbledore was still staring out the window and was rather unaware of the boy's struggles.

"I confess I knew that your family was woefully neglectful when it came to your needs, but it was my opinion that the wards were more important than anything else. Keeping you alive, at any cost, was my primary interest. It has been brought to my attention that I had absolutely no right to gamble your happiness and welfare on the blood wards," Dumbledore said softly, something in his tone drawing Harry's attention as he added, "I find, Harry, that I must agree. Your mother must be quite furious with me."

That statement was enough to make Harry's jaw drop. Never, in all his years at Hogwarts, had he thought about that particular flaw in the blood ward argument. His mother had died so that he could live - if that was the case, surely she would have wanted him to live happily?

Feeling as though something was scrubbing him raw, Harry swallowed past the tightness in his throat and asked something he had never dared to hope after second year, "So does this mean I'm never going back to the Dursley's?"

Albus turned from the window at last and gave Harry a small, sad smile that froze the hope inside Harry, before the man stated softly, "I should imagine not, Harry."

Unsure he had heard right, Harry stared at the Headmaster and when nothing else was forthcoming, he blurted, "Does this mean i can live with the Weasley's then?"

Here Dumbledore's smile was rueful, and he shook his head as he returned back to his desk. "I'm afraid not, my boy. To do that would be far too dangerous for everyone involved. There is, however, a safe haven that I have hidden away for many, many years." Taking a seat, Dumbledore smiled at Harry and informed him a bit about the protections placed at Roan House. It was Unplottable, under the Fidelius Charm, impenetrable to Muggle eyes and impossible to find even without being Unplottable. It had wards as powerful as the ones at Hogwarts and was protected by a very powerful spirit enchantment.

"Sir," Harry interrupted at this point, "What's a spirit enchantment?"

Dumbledore was silent a moment, before he explained. "Spirit enchantments are very advanced, very difficult branches of magic, Harry. I will explain more to you about Roan House's spiritual enchantments when we arrive, simply because I'd rather avoid repeating the conversation."

"Sir?" Harry asked, confused by that statement.

"Ah yes," The Headmaster mused, the twinkle in his eyes seeming to work double force suddenly. "A member of the Order will be staying with you over the summer, Harry, so that you don't find yourself too lonely. Lemon drop?" He asked, handing one out to Harry.

Bemused, Harry accepted the candy and unwrapped it as his mind tried to deduce who would be taking care of him over the summer. As he popped the sweet in his mouth, Harry rejected the idea of Lupin due to the whole werewolf issue and knew it probably wasn't a Weasley as they had their own family to tend to. He wondered if maybe it was Tonks or Kingsley - that would be wicked, he decided, as they could probably give him tips and training for how to become an Auror.

Albus waited until he say Harry's shoulders relax before he continued speaking, extremely grateful that the boy had accepted the lemon drop. There was just enough calming draught laced onto the candies he handed out to keep those about to receive potentially unwanted news from exploding too viciously, though not enough to allow them to suspect they'd been - for all intents and purposes - drugged.

"Things have become steadily unstable among the Death Eater ranks and I've found myself reasonably concerned. As such, it has been arranged for Professor Snape to go into hiding as well, Harry. Seeing as I need to protect both of you, it has been decided that he will be your guardian this summer."

There was a deafening silence on the tail of this announcement, and Albus found himself treated to a rather unexpected reaction from the boy. All color had drained from Harry's face and he looked very much as though he had just swallowed his lemon drop too early. The look of sheer horror was so far from the look of outrage Albus had been expecting that he was almost concerned the boy had, indeed, swallowed his candy too soon and was trying not to choke. He was just about to cast a spell to clear the boy's airway when Harry stated with an air of absolute certainty, "I'd rather go back to the Dursley's, if its all the same to you sir."

Albus could hardly believe his ears. For a long moment he found himself simply staring at Harry, before Albus felt himself growing very indignant on Severus' behalf. "I wouldn't have expected such a cruel statement from you, Harry." Albus stated in a heavily disappointed tone.

"What are you talking about, Professor?" Harry asked lowly, the color slowly returning to his cheeks as his anger started to rise. "You think its cruel that I prefer summer with my relatives as opposed to a summer locked away with that greasy git - "

"I will not listen to you slander Professor Snape in this office again, Harry," Albus stated sternly, leveling the boy with one of his colder gazes. When this seemed to be enough to still the boy's mouth a moment, Albus continued in a steady and firm voice. "I think it is cruel, Harry, that you would think so lowly of a man who has worked so hard to protect you."

Harry's mouth opened with a heated retort, but Albus raised a hand and stated sharply, "You would rather spend a summer where you would be treated in the same manner as a Malfoy House-Elf than with a man who would ensure that you are fed every day, that your homework is properly attended to, that your questions are answered, that any injury you manage to procure is healed? You would rather return to a household where you have been physically abused on more than one occasion, rather than spend a summer where your worst punishments would be lines or a reasonable amount of chores? Or is it, Harry," Dumbledore asked crossly, "That you think so lowly of Professor Snape that you genuinely believe he would be worse than the Dursley's?"

There was something in the Headmaster's tone that actually caused Harry to stop and think before answering him. Snape had a devilishly nasty temper, Harry knew that much, and he hated Harry just as much as Uncle Vernon did. He'd only gotten physical with Harry that once, and Harry had deserved a total thrashing if he were to be completely honest. Yet even after going through the man's memories and rightly earning himself a whole hell of pain, the most he'd gotten was a grip on his shirt that brought him way to close to Snape's face for comfort and a jar of cockroaches thrown at him as he ran out the door.

Thinking about that, Harry also realized it was rather odd that Snape would have thrown so high, even in his anger. If he had been actually trying to hit Harry, the boy realized with a jolt that the man probably could have. Not to mention he could have used a spell or something. Still, there was the fact that if Snape did do anything bad, all Harry had to do was tell Dumbledore and he'd get sacked - if it was bad enough.

Even as he thought this, Harry was somewhat alarmed to find a feeling of unfairness snake through him as he realized that assessment was unjustified as well. A memory thrust itself into the forefront of his mind that left Harry pale and staring at Dumbledore blankly for a moment, as he realized how easily Snape could have been rid of him in third year if he wished. Yet instead of doing what Harry would have expected considering after getting blasted by Harry in the Shrieking Shack, the man had placed himself between three of his most hated students and a bloody werewolf.

Sighing heavily, Harry gave Dumbledore a defeated look and murmured softly, "No sir, I don't think that."

"In that case, Harry, I trust you'll rethink your earlier statement?"

Harry gave a dull nod before asking quietly, "When is Snape coming to pick me up then?" He asked, his voice submissive even to his own ears.

"Professor Snape, Harry," The Headmaster corrected gently, before saying mildly, "Fidelius Charm Harry, only I can introduce you to Roan House and her wards. As it is, Professor Snape is currently awaiting us there."

Resisting the urge to sigh again, Harry sat quietly as Dumbledore took out his wand and waved it, before summoning what Harry realized with a start was Hedwig's cage and his trunk, shrunk down to matchbox size. The Headmaster placed these in a pocket of his robe, before holding a set of brass scales out to the boy and stating mildly, "If you'd be so kind, Harry?"

Biting back a groan at still more portkey travel, and fighting down the image of Cedric hit by the killing curse, Harry took hold of the scales and closed his eyes through the whirling hell that was this particular method of wizarding travel.

Once again deposited back to the earth with a painful lack of ceremony or grace, Harry found himself glaring at the hem of Dumbledore's robe and wondering how in the world he and others managed to land on their feet after travelling this way.

With a bitter groan, Harry pushed himself to his feet before he realized the Headmaster had been offering him a hand up. Smiling to show he hadn't meant to ignore him, Harry looked around himself, momentarily stunned by the size of the trees and wondering wildly if they were deep in the Forbidden Forest. Just then, the Headmaster handed him a piece of paper, and Harry read Gwynvera's Circle, Forest of Dean, 30 miles west of Mould-on-the-Wold, England.

Looking up from the paper, Harry cracked a grin at the sight of the cottage that appeared immediately after. Forgetting for a moment who awaited him inside of it, Harry took in the sloping roof and the blue-grey stones with a happy heart. The garden was such a tangled mess of overgrown life that Harry could just imagine his Aunt's heart attack at the sight of it. This house reminded him firmly of the Burrow, with its devil-may-care property, though in a way it sort of brought to mind an old cat lounging around in a rats nest.

Still smiling, Harry followed his professor's instructions on getting inside. Laying a hand on the gate, Harry spoke the password and stepped inside. Unlike Severus, he did not meet with Arianna but instead walked straight to the door and turned the handle, spoke the password, and stepped inside without any real consideration toward the passwords themselves.

As he was taking into account the prim interior, Harry was jarred from his blissful contentment by the sight of a very familiar black figure seated in a chair. The thought of a summer with Snape alarmed him once again and, despite his conversation with Dumbledore just moments ago, Harry couldn't help but feel as though he had dodged a bludger only to crash into the stands at breakneck speed. Swallowing heavily, Harry resisted the urge to turn around and beg the Headmaster to place him somewhere else - anywhere else - so long as it was far away from the man who was now walking towards him with a thunderous scowl.

Harry was almost convinced by that look alone to beg, when he realized with a jolt that the professor was not even looking at him, but at the Headmaster. His brows rose in surprise when the first words out of his least favorite Professor's mouth were, "I demand explanations, Albus. I will not tolerate any of your cryptic answers in regards to this prison," He spat, using as much vitriol on the Headmaster as he did on Harry. "I want the truth, Albus, and I want it now."

The Headmaster, much to Harry's interest, looked very much as though he had anticipated this rather hostile greeting. Reaching out, he placed a hand on Harry's shoulder as though to reassure him in the face of a pre-pissed Professor Snape before he stated calmly, "I intend to do just that, Severus, but first I suggest we all sit down. I'm afraid there is a lot to tell."

Harry looked up at the Headmaster, sensing a weariness in his words that seemed misplaced in their sadness. Then he glanced at Snape, who looked ready to spit fire and drive Gryffindor into the negatives before he spun on his heel and returned to the chair he had previously occupied. Despite himself, Harry looked back up at the Headmaster with an expression that showed a little too clearly that he was regretting taking back his comment on preferring the Dursley's.

The Headmaster's grip on his shoulder tightened a bit sharply, and Harry found himself led to the couch as Dumbledore took the chair facing Snape. Harry immediately felt vulnerable and nervous being caught in between Snape and Dumbledore, and for a moment he sat as stiffly as a rabbit praying that stillness would make it invisible. The tension between the two men was enormous and Harry had absolutely no wish to be placed in the middle for any reason.

Without even thinking about what he was doing, Harry abandoned the spot on the couch in favor of sitting on the floor beside Dumbledore. For a brief moment, Harry felt as though he'd crossed an empty space amid a battlefield and only now would he be safe. The sheer sense of survival instinct that had taken over in the span of a few seconds surprised even him, and he missed two crucial reactions to his change of position.

Severus had been left with nearly an hour in which to think his questions through and for a  considerable sense of indignant rage settle in his stomach. No matter how he looked at it, Roan House had him trapped, and while being caged was bad enough, there was the fact he would be ensnared here with Potter that made all of it ever so much worse. When the Headmaster had arrived, he had barely even noticed the boy in his determination to keep Albus from abandoning him again. When he noticed the Headmaster lay a hand on the boys shoulder, he forced himself to reign in the greater part of his temper at the subtle reminder of just why Potter was being brought here.

Severus had thought nothing of Albus placing Potter on the couch precisely between them, as he presumed the Headmaster wished to address them both. In fact he had considered the move a bit diplomatic as well, considering it kept Potter out of his immediate range of sight seeing as he would be paying more attention to the Headmaster. As such, he had missed the rather terrorized look on Potter's face at first. It was not until the boy suddenly shot to his feet that Severus looked at him, and for the shortest of seconds the man's breath caught.

He knew that expression well, having worn it many times in his own youth. That look of being caught in the middle of two enraged parents and having no idea which one was going to strike out first. Severus felt something cold settle in his stomach when he saw how quickly Potter moved to the floor at Dumbledore's feet, so clearly showing whom he considered the safer option. His haunted expression was swiftly masked, but not before Albus noticed it. It was Severus' expression and the way Harry huddled at his feet that forced Albus to realize he was dealing with two very damaged young boys and he would have to be a little more patient in his pushing of them.

His exasperation with Severus evaporated, and Albus reached down to gently lay a hand on Harry's head, an expression of genuine shock showing on his and Severus' faces when the boy flinched at the touch. There was a heavy silence for a moment, before Albus leaned back and said softly, "I apologize for not telling you all of this sooner, Severus. There wasn't enough time, but perhaps it would have been wise of me to make some. I do hope you can forgive, once again, an old man's oversights."

There was a moment of silence as Snape gazed at Dumbledore, but Harry noticed there was something odd in his expression, something Harry had never seen before. However, before Harry could place what it was, it was gone and Snape was inclining his head in a relatively calm manner. With mild surprise, Harry realized the tension between the two men had faded into something else. He wasn't sure he could describe it, but there was a heaviness now that for some reason, made Harry feel almost unbearably sad.

Squirming a bit on the floor, Harry leaned back against Dumbledore's chair and decided to try and dispel it. "Professor Dumbledore," He opened, looking up at the man as he glanced down from his chair. "You said something about spirit enchantments earlier. Are you going to explain them now?"

Severus' gaze snapped up from Harry so quickly Albus idly thought there should have been a sound associated with it. With a slight smile, Albus thanked all that was blessed for Harry's intuitive nature. He had found a way to bring them all away from this awkward silence without any seeming amount of effort, for which Albus could only be grateful.

"I believe that would be a good place for us to start, Harry." Albus stated softly as he gazed at Severus, all but hearing the cogs whirling in the younger man's mind. "Severus, perhaps you can help me with the beginning of this tale by explaining to Harry the nature of spirit enchantments?"

Severus gave the Headmaster a very long look, before settling his gaze on Potter and falling into the all to familiar mode of lecturing.
 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Whew. A lot happened in this one, and some of the things brushed over will probably be addressed later. Chapter 6 will probably be posted early - Thursday, maybe. If not, Sunday for sure. Hope you guys enjoyed this one!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2548