Blindside by Metempsychosis
Summary: Albus Dumbledore admits he often asks too much, but this time he has decided to ask something altogether different. With the shadows of war encircling them all, it will take incredible wit and strength to see his soldiers through to the end. What he needs, more than anything, is for them to work together - and Albus is nothing if not full of ideas on how to make the impossible happen.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 30520 Read: 19904 Published: 17 May 2011 Updated: 14 Jun 2011
Chapter 6: The Secrets of Albus Dumbledore by Metempsychosis
Author's Notes:
Although based heavily on canon, Dumbledore's history has taken some fanon alterations as I deemed necessary
"Spirit enchantments are an arcane and extremely advanced area of magic that have been outlawed for centuries," Severus began, his tone level as he gazed on the Headmaster and his student. "While not all necessarily Dark magic, spirit enchantments require a level of power and concentration most wizards do not possess. Because of how incredibly dangerous even the  most simple of these enchantments can be, all of them were declared illegal to practice or even study. As a result, they became a rather outdated form of magic and widely forgotten in today's society. Eighty years ago the ban on studying them was somewhat lifted and the punishment for practicing them heavily increased."

At this he paused, wondering just how much Albus had to do with the lifting of that particular ban when Potter spoke up with a surprisingly valid question. Not only that, but he was even quite polite in his phrasing, which Severus automatically attributed to the presence of Albus. Regardless of what he'd learned about the boy and his home life, Severus knew better than to assume Potter would be willingly respectful toward him.  

"Pardon me Professor, but what do you mean by the ban was somewhat lifted? Does that mean the study of them is regulated or something?"

Choosing to ignore the rather unintelligent 'or something', Severus inclined his head minutely toward Potter. "That would be correct Potter. The study of spirit enchantments is in fact  heavily regulated, and only scholars with reasonable explanation for their interest are permitted access to the texts describing them in true detail. Reference to spirit enchantments are made in far to many books for the Ministry to regulate, but the actual details themselves are very scarce and hard to come by."

"Interestingly," The Headmaster intervened quietly, "Hogwarts has been home to many tomes and texts that the Ministry would prefer locked away, but are unaware the school possesses. Rowena Ravenclaw placed a very powerful enchantment on our library, you see." He stated with a small smile, "No book that has been on its shelves can be easily destroyed, and though they can be moved, it is very difficult to take them off the castle property. In the early sixteen hundreds when the Ministry first began its regulation of texts on spiritual enchantments, the Headmistress of the time laid another enchantment - a rather complex obscuring charm that caused those who would consider a book improper for the school to forget that they'd noticed it."

Severus was genuinely astonished by this piece of information and gazed at the Headmaster curiously, even as Potter asked in an oddly amused tone, "Is that in Hogwarts: A History, sir?"

"Oh goodness no Harry. For if it were, the Ministry would know all about Hogwarts little secrets, now wouldn't they? No my boy, this was something I learned myself only after becoming Headmaster of Hogwarts. There is a much more detailed History of Hogwarts passed down from headmaster to headmaster, dated back as far as the Founders themselves. The Founders wrote their secrets within it, and all those who read it are bound to an oath of protecting the school and its secrets. I trust the two of you will be discreet," He added with an undeniable twinkle to his gaze, causing Severus to snort quietly.

"But there's something I still don't understand, Professor Dumbledore. If spirit enchantments are illegal, and studying them is so heavily watched, then what do they have to do with this place?"

Severus watched with acute interest as Potter's question caused a shadow to cross the Headmaster's features, before he leaned forward a bit to catch the man's quiet answer.

"As I said Harry, the Hogwarts library only hides these books from those who would deem them inappropriate for the school. They were never shielded from the over curious minds of youth. What is more, all of those books pertaining to spirit enchantments rest in the Restricted Section and most addressed their use from a strictly theoretical standpoint. Darker spirit enchantments, for example. There were three enchantments in particular however, which were described in great detail in two separate texts by one Gawain Elvenbrook."

In the silence that followed this particular statement, Harry twisted around to look up at the Headmaster, before glancing back toward Severus. The expression on his face showed clearly that he was still uncertain of the connections, and neither man's expression seemed to be giving any clues. Before he could ask another question however, Albus leaned back in his chair and began speaking softly. His voice was just loud enough to carry to Severus, but no louder, as though this tale was too tiresome - or perhaps too painful - to speak of in normal tones.

"When I was in my sixth year at Hogwarts, I came across Elvenbrook's works while in search of research material for an extracurricular project in Ancient Runes. I was fascinated by the incredible amount of effort needed for what was deemed the simplest of the three enchantments - a spell that was meant to awaken the spirit of an oak. Among the warnings was one that informed the reader that an oak's spirit should never be awakened without dire cause, as trees have little patience for the trifles of humans. I found this a most peculiar warning indeed as until then I had never considered trees to be spiritual beings."

As the Headmaster's tone turned somewhat musing, Severus gave him an odd look that harry actually caught. Looking away to hide his smile, Harry realized that his Potions Professor had never considered trees to be spiritual either. It made sense to Harry though, in a way. Trees were living things in their own right - why should they not have a spirit of their own? Tilting his head, Harry spoke the thought that had occurred to him when the Headmaster had spoken of the warning.

"Well that makes sense. I mean, why would a tree care about - I dunno, Divination or something? That has nothing to do with trees. But if the forest was in danger or something, that would interest them, because it involves them."

Harry didn't notice the odd and somewhat sharp gaze Severus pierced him with, but he did hear the Headmaster's chuckle. Looking up at the elderly man, Harry noticed the bright twinkle that had dimmed somewhat was once again in full force.

"I came to much the same conclusion myself after some reflection on the matter. Of course, awakening an old tree spirit was not something I considered to be overly useful knowledge. Interesting, yes, but not useful. I confess I disregarded those passages and paid much more attention to the second and third. The second described a complex charm that, if cast upon a person moments after death could preserve their spirit without turning them into a ghost against their will. The spirit, once preserved, could then be communicated with shortly. This captured my attention as I could easily see how useful it would be to those who wished to say  farewell, or to ask something that would otherwise be lost to the other side. It was dangerous however - very much so. A single mispronunciation could force the caster's spirit from within their body in a manner not unlike the Dementor's Kiss. The body would remain alive and intact, while the disembodied spirit would be little more than an invisible ghost."

Here he trailed off, his expression far away as Severus gazed at him in a mixture of shock and carefully hidden horror. He dearly hoped that the Headmaster had not tried such a spell, but more than that he hoped that spell had absolutely nothing to do with this house. Naturally, however, the coldly analytical part of himself that refused to accept such things as wishful thinking acknowledged that it was quite likely the Headmaster had indeed worked this charm at some point in his life and it did, in some way, tie to this place. Harry however, was about to ask why anyone would take that risk, when he thought of Sirius. If he could have had a moment - a minute - to say goodbye, to apologize - Harry knew beyond a shadow of a doubt he would have done anything. Even a spell that could have destroyed him.

Bowing his head, Harry's heart went out to the Headmaster as he imagined who the man must have lost, to have been so interested in the spell to begin with. Folding his hands together to keep from wrapping his arms around himself, Harry listened as the Headmaster began once more.

"The last was the most complicated of the three and Elvenbrook's entire second book was used to describe it. From the potions, runes and circles needed, to the incantations and the longest list of warnings and potential disasters I had ever come across in a spell casting. This spell required two casters and a medium who was deeply attached to the area where the spell would be invoked. The purpose of this spell was one of powerful protection. It would take the blood and magic of two casters, infuse it with the emotions of the medium and create a sort of living shield and weapon capable of three predetermined spells in defense of the area to which it was rooted. It is this spell which is of greatest importance to us now, but before I tell you why I must explain something about my own history with Roan House."

Here the Headmaster's voice grew weary, a heavy sadness settling into it that brought Harry's head up and caused Severus to stiffen slightly. Unaware of his audience's reaction to his emotions, Albus continued on, his gaze far away from the present.

"When I was a young lad, my younger sister came into contact with some Muggle boys who witnessed a burst of accidental magic. They attacked her in fear, and what they did - it changed her. Arianna had always been a happy child, but after that day she became quiet and reserved. Her magic...was never the same after that. It became sporadic and destructive. My father made his displeasure known to the Muggles and in so doing, landed himself a lifetime cell in Azkaban."

The slight hiss of surprise from Severus was enough to bring Albus back to the present momentarily. Looking over at the younger man, Albus gave a sad smile and nodded. "Yes Severus - my father used an Unforgivable against those Muggles, and it was widely rumored during my first year at Hogwarts that the Dumbledore family were Muggle haters. You'll find it difficult to find anyone who remembers such a time, I imagine."

Though his tone was light, Albus' expression spoke of a bone deep weariness and an age neither Severus nor Harry wished to attribute to him. Perhaps noting something in their expressions, Albus chose this moment to continue his  tale.

"We left our home in Mould-on-the-Wold and moved to Godric's Hollow. During my fourth year at Hogwarts my father's sister passed away and left me this cottage. By that time I was...acutely embarrassed of my family and was quite grateful to have a place I could go to escape them. Ignoring my mother's express orders, I spent my summer days here, cleaning and organizing everything. I used the money my aunt had also bequeathed to me to refurnish it and, by the time I was finished it was time to return to Hogwarts. That Christmas I brought my oldest friend, Elphias Doge here and together we began casting enchantments to obscure it from view and protect it from unwanted company. I believe we were planning to use it for experiments later on, but that idea fell away in later years."

Sighing, Albus withdrew his wand and flicked it in the direction of the kitchen. There was the sound of cupboard doors opening and closing, then two glasses of a clear, brownish liquid and one glass of what was clearly pumpkin juice floated back. Harry gladly took the pumpkin juice and tried not to wrinkle his nose at the thought of the Headmaster drinking scotch - it was clear he was having trouble talking of his past, and Harry felt a mixture of humility and honor in being trusted to know so much about the Headmaster's history. Taking a slow swig of his juice, Harry listened quietly as the Headmaster continued.

"After my discovery of Elvenbrook's books, I was summoned home by my mother who insisted I watch over Arianna for two weeks so that she could take a break. Perhaps it was a fit of temper that resulted in me bringing Arianna here, but in the end it was the kindest thing I ever did for my sister. The moment she saw the cottage she...she lit up, as though I'd just brought her to the most magical place in all the world. In that moment I was forcefully reminded of how much she used to mean to me, before I allowed the rumors of her madness to turn me from her. It was meant to be two weeks but I asked for the entire summer by the middle of the first. My mother was more than willing to take the time off, despite the fact I was only fifteen and not precisely the most responsible of people. She trusted me to take care of Arianna even then, and together with Doge the three of us had an extremely pleasurable summer. I could not recall having heard Arianna laugh so much in years. She played games, joked, she even danced and named the cottage. She had just one burst of accidental magic in all that time, and Doge - who received the worst of it - was so pleasant about it she was driven to tears by his kindness. It was with great reluctance that I returned her to Godric's Hollow where I knew she would be unhappy, locked from sight and the sun she loved so dearly."

Closing his eyes, Albus fought back the emotions rising inside of him before he continued. "During my sixth and seventh years I spent my winter breaks here with Arianna, and Doge would visit briefly before spending the rest of the vacation with his family. In the summer months he spent a good five weeks with us and a rather limited amount of time with his family. Arianna adored him and his gentle way of dealing with her magical outbursts, and whenever I found myself getting cross with her he invariably stepped in and reminded me it was not Arianna's fault. I'll never forget the time he and I fought over how to manage Arianna when I lost my temper and told her she was smart enough to learn to control it. I do believe that was the first time I ever feared him, and it was also the day my friend became a man I deeply respected."

The Headmaster smiled slightly as he recalled that day most clearly, before his expression darkened and he continued on in a voice so measured that Harry edged away from him slightly, sensing the deadly anger hidden underneath. "Yet despite all those happy days, when I finally graduated from Hogwarts I wanted to do something for myself. Because of the summers I'd taken Arianna, my mother was willing to allow me the right to the traditional Grand Tour taken by Hogwarts graduates. Unfortunately...unfortunately, on the eve of my leave Arianna had a burst of accidental magic and it...killed our mother."

There was a clink of ice as Severus set down his glass at this statement, and Harry sat shocked to the core. Neither one of them knew what to say, and though they were unaware of it, both were feeling completely out of their depth. Neither had anticipated the tale of Albus Dumbledore to be such a tragic one, and their respect for him grew even as one of them wondered how he stayed so true to the path of Light and the other wondered how many people he trusted with this story.

"I was left the head of a very dysfunctional family, with a devastated sister and a younger brother who was quickly turning round the bend himself. I could not bring myself to move them to the cottage - even though I knew it could have helped Arianna, I was too upset by the loss of my mother and my freedom to be kind. I was restless and selfish, unable to accept that this was all my life would hold. It was at this point that I met a particularly ambitious young wizard who was embarking on a study that brought him to Godric's Hollow. This wizard drew me from my depression and together we discussed many things. When he described a need for a private place to conduct a certain experiment, my mind immediately went to Roan House. It was he who created the passwords here today, his magic that is now weaved into the outer defenses Elphias and I created. When it became clear to both of us the possibility of Ministry interference, I was the one who thought of the spirit enchantment described earlier."

Here the Headmaster's gaze grew hard, and Harry was alarmed to recognize the expression of self-loathing he himself often found himself wearing. "I brought Arianna into it, asking her if she would be willing to protect Roan House and knowing she would do anything to keep her happy place safe. I knew that the enchantment had the ability to kill us all - to do worse than kill us - and I am truly ashamed to admit that at the time, my desire to prove myself to that wizard and my bitterness with Arianna made me disregard the danger to us all. When the spell was cast, I had forgotten that the medium would collapse from the strain. When she fell I...I thought I had killed her. In my horror I attempted a healing spell without thinking, and though the enchantment was over, that spell somehow interacted with the circles, and my spirit somehow became attached to the cottage. I didn't realize this until many years later. In any case, after my spell Arianna came to and we all decided it might be best to forget what we had done. We returned to Godric's Hollow and I spent the better part of my time with my new friend."

Rubbing his face with one hand, Albus finished his drink and gazed tiredly at the two boys who know knew more about him nearly anyone else alive today, save Elphias and Bathilda. Looking away, he almost could not bear to finish the tale, but he knew Severus would accept nothing less than the full truth of Roan House. More than that, he and Harry both deserved to know precisely how well they were being guarded and, in so knowing, understand just how much they meant to Albus.

"My brother grew enraged by my apparent neglect of Arianna, and he confronted us. My companion cursed him and I was caught in the midst of a duel, working against both my brother and my friend to try and keep them from killing one another. A nasty curse from my friend succeeded in enraging me and I fought him more directly when Arianna attempted to intervene. Naturally, she had no magic of her own she could properly control and her personality simply was not strong enough to overcome three dueling men. I - I never learned who cast the spell - but one of us hit Arianna with a hex and it killed her. My friend fled, and my brother and I were left heartbroken and horrified. A few years after this, I took up my position as the Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts and spent the better part of my time ignoring the activities of my once friend. When it became clear that he would not stop - when I could no longer turn a blind eye for the sake of our past and for the fear of learning who truly killed Arianna - I faced him."

Looking up, Albus noticed the way Severus had paled, that hard gaze he was leveling toward him, and he knew the young man had figured out just who this wizard was that Albus had befriended in his younger days. Choosing to look down at Harry as he spoke his final confession, Albus prayed for both of them to understand the depth of his regret.

"My battle with Grindelwald nearly destroyed me, but it was during this time that I learned what had happened here at Roan House when I cast my healing spell. The better part of me was returned in my hour of need, granting me additional strength just as Fawkes assisted me in the final spell. It did not occur to me that Roan House was responsible until I came back to add an additional defense to the place that held so many of my darkest secrets. I met Arianna then, and was nearly driven to my knees with shock. I had...I had not known that the enchantment would take the form of the medium, and I had been terrified. She was the one who told me of my mistake that day, and how this house came to hold both our spirits. She was the one who pushed mine back to me, when she sensed my need, which indicated a level of sentience I did not wish to accept. Still, I forced myself to remain here and discover just how much Roan House had consumed of Arianna and I."

Shuddering slightly, Albus shook his head and stated softly, "I came to realize that Arianna's love for this place was a protection all of its own. Broken things repaired themselves, the house would not burn, destructive curses were absorbed and quietly removed. Rules Elphias and I had set in place as youths were reinforced by a rather cheeky younger me, which was more than a little disconcerting. When I set new rules, that younger self also reinforced them. As for Arianna, I found that her sentience was very limited beyond basic emotion and programmed responses. She was very protective of me, and I discovered that she would be just so protective of anyone she was instructed to guard. I ensured that Gillert would no longer be safe anywhere near Roan House, despite the use of his blood in the casting, by increasing the strength of my sacrifice and making it far greater than his. I knew he would never escape Nurmenguard, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to be prepared."

Leaning back in his chair, Albus leveled his gaze at Severus and stated simply, "As it is, Roan House is by far the safest location for both you and Harry, not only for the strength of its protections, but for the magic used in creating them. Although Tom Riddle was aware of a select amount of spirit enchantments, he never read Elvenbrook's works and he has no ability to combat love magic. Beyond that, it is unlikely to say the very least that he would ever discover even half of what I've told you to even begin guessing at where the two of you are hiding, should your trails be proven false."

Severus shifted in his chair at this, greatly disquieted by the thought of the Dark Lord learning of the deception in regards to Bermuda. Harry meanwhile looked up at the Headmaster in confusion.

"As I told you Harry, Severus is in Bermuda," The Headmaster told the confused youth, smiling slightly as the boy seemed to catch on, "And you, my dear boy, are very clearly spending your summer with me at Hogwarts. After all, only I would trust Hagrid and Hagrid alone to escort you to Diagon Alley at a time like this. And were you not seen at the Three Broomsticks?"

Harry smiled and nodded, understanding the deception and finding himself rather amused by it, simply because of the irony. All those years of dreaming for a summer spent at Hogwarts finally coming true, but only as a cover. Oddly satisfied despite the fact he knew his true summer would be spent with the company of Snape, Harry looked around him again and spoke quietly.

"This place holds a lot of happy memories to though sir. I don't think Arianna would want you to forget that."

It was the only thing Harry could think of to say in honor of the Headmaster's story. He didn't like the deep set of sadness in the elderly man's voice, or the way his true age had shown as he spoke. As much as he disliked some of the Headmaster's handling techniques, and as much as he wished the Headmaster had done things differently last year, Harry didn't want the man to suffer. He could tell the past hurt him still, and Harry knew how much he would give to have someone tell him Sirius would have forgiven him, even if he himself could not believe it. Maybe Dumbledore needed to hear something similar.

A warm hand rested on his head, and Harry looked up to see the Headmaster giving him a very watery smile. Worried the man might start crying, Harry opened his mouth to forestall something he definitely did not want to be responsible for, when he noticed that Professor Dumbledore appeared to have composed himself. His gaze dried and brightened, and he patted Harry a bit before rising slowly to carry his glass to the kitchen, needing to move.

Feeling rather uncomfortable alone in the living area with Snape, Harry fidgeted and looked anywhere but at his dour Potions Master. Thankfully, Severus was too busy absorbing everything he had learned about the Headmaster's past to really pay much attention to the boy. He spoke when Albus returned, his voice carefully clear of emotion.

"I take it you have set new rules for us here, Albus?"

The question was devoid of anything that could cause further introspection and was quintessentially logical. He somehow doubted that a rule against Apparition had existed in Albus' youth, after all. Furthermore, he would prefer to be aware of when he would be taking the risk of awakening the spirit of a young Albus Dumbledore. As such, the Headmaster's sly smile was inappropriate and somewhat alarming.

"Oh yes, though of course I've kept them moderately vague to allow the two of you some room to maneuver. Just enough to ensure the two of you are taking care of yourselves and don't abuse one another any more than you usually do."

Here, Albus had the unmitigated gall to look at Severus over his glasses, clearly insinuating toward the Potion Master's open dislike of the boy. Considering what Albus himself had permitted all these years, it took nearly all of Severus' will power not to hex the man right then and there. Thankfully, Harry was present to once again cut the tension between the two men, though once again it was done unintentionally and with the inherent desire to just keep himself out of danger range.

"I'll behave myself sir," Harry stated calmly, gazing straight at Albus and drawing a smile from the Headmaster.

"I'm sure you will, Harry. Now, I shall leave the two of you to get better acquainted for the summer. I trust that you'll follow any rules Severus sets for you, my boy?"

"Yes sir." Harry responded automatically, resisting the urge to point out he was rather used to unrealistic expectations from summer guardians, but he'd do his best.

"Excellent." The Headmaster rose, this time giving Severus a rather pointed look before stepping toward the door. Rising to his feet, Severus followed the Headmaster outside and was about to ask several pertinent questions when Albus struck him silent with a very grave gaze.

"You must understand Severus, that my past is not well known to the wizarding world. I have done well and fought hard to keep my history private. I am doing much more than simply entrusting Roan House to guard you and Harry, my boy. In turn, I am trusting the two of you to honor the secrets this house holds as well." Laying a hand on Severus' shoulder, he gave it a gentle squeeze before he stepped back. "Take care of yourself, Severus, and do be easy on Harry. I am afraid he expects the worst to come of this summer. I have faith in your ability to disprove him of that notion."

With a smile, Albus disapparated and left Severus standing alone on the front step, more off-balance than he could remember being in many years. Shaking his head at the fact the man once again escaped without truly answering all of his questions, Severus turned to go back inside and begin the first of many days with his young charge.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2548