A First Time for Everything by LeeRoy
Summary: Secrets from the past haunt the present...
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hermione, Lily, McGonagall, Ron, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Before Harry is born, 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: A Time for Everything
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 81444 Read: 120080 Published: 05 Jun 2011 Updated: 07 Jul 2011
Gifts by LeeRoy
Author's Notes:
It's Christmas! Everybody gets gifts.

Harry awoke on Christmas morning to the sounds of Ron and his brothers laughing and cheering.

"C’mon, ‘Arry!" Ron called down from the common room. "Come open your presents!"

Harry blinked, opening his emerald eyes.

Presents? He had presents!

But that couldn’t be…

You’re at Hogwarts, he reminded himself. Not Privet Drive!

Smiling, he sat up and reached for his glasses. He felt something underneath them and pulled it with them.

Putting them on, he saw that it was a piece of parchment. On it was written a note:

Happy Christmas, Harry! When you get the chance come down to my quarters. S. Snape

"C’mon, ‘Arry!" Ron’s shouted up to him again, this time followed by the twins’ voice echoing the sentiment.

Harry smiled broadly and bounded out of bed, putting on his robe as he went.

Stuffing the note from his father into his pocket, he scurried down the stairs to the Gryffindor common room.

There he found the Weasleys, all four of them, sitting around the Christmas tree Hagrid had brought for them and they had decorated themselves.

Ron and his brothers each had a small pile of unopened gifts in front of them. A fifth pile of gifts lay stacked, but untouched.

"Those are yours, mate," the youngest Weasley told him, smiling.

"Yeah, ‘Arry," Fred said. "Percy wouldn’t let us—"

"—open any of ours ‘til you got here," George finished.

"It’s only fair," Percy told them, sniffing. "Come along, Harry. Sit down and let’s be at this. It’s almost breakfast time and today we get to eat it here rather than in the Great Hall. We’ll eat Christmas dinner there, of course."

Harry sat down at his pile of presents and then they all began to open theirs. He waited a moment.

"What’cha waitin’ on, ‘Arry?" Ron asked him, tearing into his fourth gift already.

"Nothin’," Harry told him and began tearing into his gifts, as well.

From Ron, he’d received a box of Every Flavor Jelly Beans and a box of Chocolate Frogs.

From Hermione, he received a book on Quidditch.

From Hagrid, he received a tin of very hard biscuits—but it was the thought that counted, after all.

And then, to his surprise, he received some fudge and emerald green jumper with an ‘H’ in the center of it from Mrs. Weasley.

"That’s a Weasley sweater," Ron told him, holding up his own moroon colored one. His had an ‘R’ on it.

"Mum knits ‘em," Percy said, holding up his blue one with a ‘P’.

"Every year, it’s the same style and same color," Fred said, holding up his brown one with an ‘F’.

"The only thing that changes," George added, holding up the same kind as his twin only with a ‘G’ on it, "is the sizes!"

Harry smiled. "It’s great," he told them, "but why would your Mum make me one? I mean, she doesn’t even know me…"

"I’ve wrote her all about you, ‘Arry," Ron told him. "Plus, Mum and Dad were close friends with your mum and dad, I think, so she probably remembers you from when you were a baby…"

"It means," Fred told him, smirking wickedly, "that—"

"—you’re an honorary member of the Weasley clan," George finished, also smirking.

"That means they consider it they’re job to annoy the heck out of you," Percy said, snorting.

Harry laughed. "I don’t mind," he told them, "so long as the jokes not too bad. I’ll have to be sure to write your mum and thank her."

"You have one more gift left," Ron told him, pointing to a simply wrapped present.

Harry picked it up. It felt as if there was some type of cloth inside. He frowned. "Wonder what it is," he said, opening it.

Inside was a cloak made of a silvery material he’d never seen before. Ron, Percy, and the twins all gasped when they saw it.

"Merlin’s blue balls!" Percy, who shocked them all by swearing, exclaimed suddenly.

"Is that—" Fred started to ask.

"—what we think it is?" George finished for him.

"Blimey, ‘Arry," Ron said, "do you know what that is?!"

"A cloak," Harry said, holding it up.

"Not just any ole cloak, mate," Ron told him. "That there is an invisibility cloak! They’re very rare…"

"And very expensive," Percy added. "Who sent it to you, Harry?"

Inside the wrapping, Harry found a note. He read it silently:

This belonged to James, Harry. I know he would have wanted you to have it. Use it well—and wisely. Happy Christmas, my boy!

The note was unsigned, but Harry knew he it must have come from: Professor Dumbledore.

He’s the only one that calls me ‘my boy’, he thought to himself, and he’d be the only one James would have trusted to keep this.

"Well, ‘Arry?" Ron asked, curiously. "Who sent it to you?"

"Uh, it doesn’t say," Harry said. "It just says it belong to J—uh, my dad."

He had almost been about to say ‘James’, but then remembered that Ron and his brothers still believed that James Potter was his father.

"Try it on, ‘Arry," Ron suddenly said, smirking. "Let’s see if it really works!"

"Urr—okay," Harry said, standing up and swirling the cloak onto his shoulders. He watched as the Weasleys’ eyes all widened in surprise.

"Look, ‘Arry," Ron said, pointing down at his body.

Harry glanced down, but didn’t see anything. His body had completely disappeared!

He looked like nothing more than a floating head!

He took the cloak off and his body reappeared. "Wicked," he said, smiling.

"You said it, mate," Ron said, smiling.

"Well, you lot," Percy said, standing up. "Let’s get dressed and then order breakfast."

He waved his wand and cleaned up all the mess of the wrapping paper.

Then, gathering their gifts, he and the twins headed to their dorm rooms to get dressed.

Harry and Ron gathered their gifts and then headed up to the first year dorms.

"That cloak will sure come in handy, ‘Arry," Ron told him as they headed up the stairs. "’Specially, with us lookin’ for that Flamel guy."

"Hey, yeah," Harry said, smiling. "I could use the cloak to sneak into the library after curfew!"

"But we’ve already looked in all the books there," Ron said, puzzled. "Haven’t we?"

Harry shook his head. "Not in the Restricted Section," he told him, smirking.

Ron smiled, understanding dawning on his face. "Brilliant, mate!" he said, smiling.

"I’ll do it tonight, after everyone is asleep," Harry told him. "I won’t have to worry about Mrs. Norris or Filch—since there won’t be anything of me to see!"

"You’ll have to let me try it out sometime," Ron told him. "We could raid the kitchens for some snacks!"

Harry laughed. "You got it," he told him, as they entered their dorm.

Getting dressed, in a pair of his new blue jeans and his new sweater, Harry joined the Weasley brothers as they feasted on a delicious breakfast that consisted of hotcakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, scones, and hot chocolate.

Once they were done and the dishes disappeared, the twins suggested they go have a snowball fight in the courtyard.

"You all go on ahead," Harry told them, as they pulled on their coats, gloves, scarves, and hats.

"Don'tcha want to play, too?" Ron asked him, sighing. "I was hopin' you'd be on my team!"

"I, uh, I want to go see some of the professors and wish them a happy Christmas," Harry told him. "I'll be out in a little while, I promise."

"Guess that means..." Fred said, smirking at Percy.

"...you have to come along to be on little Ronny's team," George finished for him.

"I had intended to remain here and study," Percy said, loftily.

The twins each took one of his arms and began frog marching him toward the entrance.

"Not today, big brother..." George told him, smirking wickedly.

"...Christmas is for family," Fred added, as they exited. "Mum’s rule."

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Ron asked him, sounding disappointed.

"I told you'd I'd be out in a little while," Harry told him. "Go on. Go have fun. Cream the twins with a couple of snow balls for me!"

Ron smiled. "It'll be my pleasure," he told him, chuckling. With that, he turned and raced out of the common room after his brothers.

Harry sighed. He really did want to go join them...but he also wanted to go visit his father and give him his gift.

Scampering upstairs to his trunk, he retrieved the four gifts he'd gotten for his cousin, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather.

They would probably be going and visiting Mum tonight after the feast...so he left her gift there, for now.

Making certain he had everything he needed, he headed out of the Tower and towards the dungeons...

HPHPHPHPHP

Severus awoke that morning feeling very...content? Peaceful? Dare he say...happy, even!

Blinking up at the darkened ceiling of his bedroom, he realized that for the first time in nearly ten years he was truly—blistfully—happy.

And he was looking forward for what today would bring. Getting up, he threw on his robe and slippers and headed out of his bedroom.

Opening the guest room a crack, he peered inside to find Draco still snoozing away, snoring softly with one arm thrown over his eyes and one leg hanging off the bed.

He smirked. That boy could sleep through a Howler even if it was right by his ear!

Knowing from past experience, his nephew would not be up for a little while yet, he went and put on a pot of tea and started a fire to warm his quarters.

He glanced over to his desk, where a small pile of gifts sat, and smiled in anticipation.

He hoped Harry would like his gifts. He'd thought long and hard on them, of course.

It was tradition for him to get three gifts for his nephew, so that is what he had also done for his son.

Draco was recieving a new quill/stationary set—having always admired his [Severus’]—with a 'ready-to-write' quill that was spill proof and never needed re-inking.

He was also getting a new Quidditch set, complete with pads and protective helmet.

Both of those he had requested, of course, but the third gift was going to be a surprise...for both him and Harry.

A knock on his door had him glancing up. "Enter," he called out, and the door swung open on its own.

Harry came bounding in, already fully dressed and carried several crudely wrapped packages in his arms.

"Happy Christmas, Sir!" he greeted him, smiling brightly.

Severus smiled at his son. "You are up early," he told him. "I figured you would still be sleeping."

"The Weasleys woke me up early to open presents," Harry told him. "I had ever so many!"

Severus smiled at the boy's enthusiasm, as he sat down his packages and began telling him what had received from his friends.

"And Mrs. Weasley made me this jumper," Harry said, tugging on the emerald green sweater he wore with an 'H' embroidered on it. "Wasn't that real nice of her?"

"Molly has known you since you were a baby, Harry," Severus told him. "I am not surprised she has 'unofficially' adopted you. You are her godson, after all."

"I am?" Harry asked, wide-eyed. "Ron didn't tell me that."

"That is possibly because he does not know," Severus told him. "Lily and Molly, along with Alice Longbottom, were all pregnant around the same time. If I recall correctly, Lily is both Neville's and Ron’s godmother, and Molly is your godmother."

"Wow," Harry said, smiling.

"Not only that," Severus told him, chuckling, "but Molly also happens to be my cousin."

"You mean me and Ron are cousins?" Harry asked, smiling brightly. "How?"

"Molly is Aberford Dumbledore's granddaughter," Severus explained. "Her mother, his daughter, married a Prewett. That makes her Professor Dumbledore's great-niece. Molly and I are second generation cousins. That means you and Ron are third generation cousins...and all of his brothers and sister, of course."

"Are they Draco's cousins, too?" Harry asked, curiously.

Severus chuckled wickedly at that. Lucius would have foaming-at-the-mouth fits if he knew!

"Yes," he told him, smirking, "as Eileen and Margaret Prewett were first cousins...by blood, anyway."

"Ahhh," a groan caused them to look over toward the hallway to find Draco standing there. "Isn't it bad enough that I have to be cousins with Potter! Now I'm related to the Weasles, as well!"

"Draco," Severus scowled at him, "just because it is Christmas does not mean I cannot wash your mouth out with a soaping charm!"

Draco huffed, coming into the sitting room and plopping down onto the sofa. "I hate mornings," he grumbled, sourly.

"C'mon, Draco," Harry said, smiling. "Cheer up! It's Christmas! Here, you can go ahead and open my gift first!"

Severus bit the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing out loud at the dumbfounded look on his nephew's face when his son presented the gift he'd gotten for him.

"You actually bought me a present?" Draco asked, taking it hesitantly. "It's, uh, it's not cursed or anything...is it?"

Harry snorted. "Just open it, you prat," he told him, shaking his head.

Draco did so, smiling with delight at the new pair of dragon-hide gloves.

"Wicked!" he exclaimed, happily. "I've so needed a new pair of these!"

"That's what the professor told me," Harry told him, nodding at him. "I'm glad you like them."

Draco glanced up, biting his lip. "I, uh, I didn't get you anything," he said, looking shame-faced. "I’m sorry, Pot—uh, Harry."

"I didn't give you a gift 'cuz I was expecting to get one back," Harry told him. "It’s the thought that counts, anyway."

"That is correct," Severus said, beaming at his son with pride. "However, you could say ‘thank you’, Draco."

"Thank you," Draco said solemnly, holding out his hand to his cousin.

Harry smiled, and shook it. "You’re welcome," he told him, also speaking solemnly.

Then, both boys burst into snickers and laughter.

Just then, the door to his quarters opened again and Tobias and Albus stepped in.

"Now there is a sound that warms the spirit," the Headmaster said, smiling at the two still laughing hoodlums.

"Happy Christmas, Severus!" Tobias greeted him, smiling. "Happy Christmas, Harry! Happy Christmas, Draco!"

"Happy Christmas, Grandpa Toby!" Harry and Draco exclaimed at the same time.

Severus merely nodded his head in acknowledgement.

"Happy Christmas, Professor!" Harry said, going and hugging the Headmaster.

"I believe, Harry," Dumbledore told him, smiling, "that since I am your great-grandfather it is all right, in private any way, for you to call me something other than ‘Headmaster’, ‘Professor’, or ‘Sir’."

"What should I call you, then?" Harry asked him, curiously.

"Hmm," the older wizard stroked his long beard. "Molly Weasley, who is my great-niece, has always called me ‘Uncle Alby’. Her children usually call me that, as well, whenever I take tea at their home ‘The Burrow’. So, I suppose, it would be perfectly all right if you called me ‘Grandpa Alby’."

Severus snorted at that, rolling his eyes at the ridiculous nickname, but Harry merely snickered.

"All right," he told the Headmaster, "Grandpa Alby."

He then motioned with his finger and when the man bent forward whispered something into his ear.

Dumbledore chuckled. "You are quite welcome, my boy," he told him, patting him on the head.

Severus raised an eyebrow at that, but didn’t comment. I’ll find out eventually, I am sure.

"You are, of course, also welcome to call me that in private, young Draco," Dumbledore informed the blonde Slytherin.

Draco grinned at that, but he [Severus] could tell the boy was touched.

Though they were both dead now, Abraxas and his father Brutus had not been the ‘kind, doting’ grandfathers they could—and should—have been.

Therefore Draco had never known a grandparent could be anything but cold and elusive…just as his father was.

"T-Thank you," his nephew said, quietly. "Grandpa Alby."

"Now that that is settled," Tobias said, merrily. "Who is ready to open their gifts?" He held up the packages in his hands.

He handed one to his son and one to each of his grandsons. "Thank you," they all said at the same time.

"Well," Tobias said, smiling. "Don’t just stand there gawking at them. Open them!"

Harry went first, tearing into his gift slowly so as not to harm whatever was inside, and then was quickly followed by Draco.

They both found a beautifully carved wooden box with their names engraved upon them along with their House crests.

"Open them," Tobias said, smiling. Harry and Draco did so, each finding a beautifully carved chess set inside.

"It’s beautiful!" both boys told him, going and hugging him. "Thanks, Grandpa Toby!"

Severus glanced at them, admiring the craftsmanship.

"They are indeed exquisite," he complimented the craftsmanship. "How did you manage it so quickly, though?"

"Well," Tobias said, sheepishly. "Albus kinda help me cheat a little bit…"

"I merely transfigured the blank wood into the pieces and the boards," the Headmaster said, his eyes twinkling. "You were the one who carved the details and painted them."

"Open yours, Uncle Sev," Draco told him, pointing at the unwrapped gift in his hand.

"Yeah," Harry echoed the sentiment, smiling at his father. "Let’s see what it is!"

Severus nodded, unwrapping the package his father had handed him. He found within a rather large photo album.

The cover of the album was made of wood and engraved on it was the ‘SNAPE’ family name, as well as an intricately carved depiction of a man, a woman, and their son.

In the center of the cover was a hollow square, depicting the picture on the first page of the album.

It was a picture of Tobias, Eileen, and him when he had been a small boy.

He blinked back tears, as he opened the album and quickly scanned the pictures there in—pictures depicting happier times and a family that loved each other very much.

He looked up at Tobias. "I thought these were all lost," he told him, swallowing.

"Not lost," Tobias told him, smiling. "Merely…misplaced. I knew you didn’t have all that much to remember her by. Do you like it?"

"It’s beautiful," Severus told him, sincerely. "Thank you…Da."

Tobias smiled at the name he had used for him as a child…and what it meant.

"You’re welcome, son," he told him, reaching out and touching his shoulder in a firm clasp.

Severus reached out and clasped his shoulder, as well. I’ve missed you, Da…I really have.

"Well now," Dumbledore said, his eyes even more misty than usual. "What about those gifts over there?"

Severus glanced to his desk and smiled.

"Harry, Draco, these are from me," he told them, handing them each two gifts. "There is a third one also, but open these first."

Draco ripped through his, obviously quite thrilled with his quill and Quidditch sets.

"Awesome, Uncle Sev," he told him, smiling. "I love ‘em!"

Harry unwrapped his first gift, which was the broom they had purchased for him that day in Diagon Alley.

"A Nimbus 2000!" Draco exclaimed, wide-eyed.

"I know, isn’t it wicked?" Harry asked, his green eyes sparkling. "Ron is gonna flip!"

"Open your second gift, Harry," Dumbledore encouraged him, gently.

The dark haired boy did so, finding a quill and stationary set to match his cousin’s.

His, however, had his name upon it and the Gyffindor House crest, too.

"Thank you, Sir," he said, glancing up at him. "They’re wonderful."

"There is one more," Severus told him and Draco.

Going to his desk, he retrieved to smaller wrapped gifts. He handed one to each boy.

They found inside them a medallion, one in gold and the other silver, with a phoenix engraved on the gold one and a dragon on the other.

"These are a Prince family tradition," Severus explained. "My mother had a medallion like that and she gave me one. Now, you both have one. On the reverse sides you’ll find the Crests for the Malfoys and the Potters. Charms of protections have been cast upon them, so wear them always. Also, you will be able to contact me—no matter where you are at—with them. Merely touch the medallion and think what you wish to tell me. I shall hear it."

"Wicked!" Both boys exclaimed, putting on their medallions immediately. "Thanks, Uncle Sev! Thanks, Professor!"

Harry then rushed over to the sofa where he had sat the packages he had brought. "This is from me, Sir," he said, handing it to him. "Please, open it."

Severus did so, finding inside a book. "Potions: A Subtle Science," he read the title, smiling. "This just came out not too long ago, I believe…"

Harry nodded. "Uh huh, that’s how I figured you didn’t already have it," he told him. "Do…do you like it?"

Severus smiled at him. "I love it, son," he told him, pulling into a tight embrace. "Thank you."

Harry then presented his grandfather and great-grandfather with their gifts.

Tobias was delighted with his cauldron cakes and Albus’ eyes all but twinkled out of his head at the sight of his bright, striped socks.

"Why, Harry, my boy," he told him. "How ever did you know I’ve always wanted socks?"

Harry chuckled, glancing at his father.

"A little bat told me," he told the elder wizard, earning a chuckle from the Headmaster and a narrowed look from his father.

"Cheeky brat," Severus muttered, smiling despite himself.

"Now then, I am certain we shall be visiting Lily this evening after the feast," Dumbledore said, smiling. "What say you boys go out and play in the snow for a bit, eh? It’s the perfect day for it."

"I told Ron and his brothers I’d meet them up there," Harry said, glancing at his cousin. "You can come too, Draco."

"Me?" Draco asked, sneering. "Play in the snow with the Weasleys! You have to be joking!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "They aren’t that bad," he told him, shaking his head. "It’ll be fun. You can be on my team. I’ll tell ‘em I ran into you and you looked all pathetic or something…so I had to invite you along."

"Hey!" Draco growled. "Malfoys don’t look pathetic, Potter!"

"Yeah, yeah," Harry said, "just c’mon, you prat!"

"Do not even think of going outside without your coats, scarves, and gloves!" Severus called after them, as they headed for the exit.

"Here you go, boys," Dumbledore said, flicking his wand and transfiguring some gum-wrappers into winter wear for them. "Off you go now!"

He also transfigured Draco pajamas into clothes and they quickly pulled on coats, hats, scarves, and gloves.

Severus smiled as he watched them head out of the room, arguing the entire way.

"Happy Christmas, Sev?" Tobias asked him, curiously.

Severus smiled and nodded. "Yes," he told him. "It is."

The best one I’ve ever had, he couldn’t help but think.

SSSSSSSS

Lily smiled and turned towards the door to her room as it was opened and her family waltzed in.

Severus, Harry, Tobias, Albus, and even young Draco bounded into the room with smiles on their faces.

"Mum!" her son exclaimed, brightly. "You’re out of bed!" He came to her and hugged her.

"Indeed, I am," she said, wrapping her arms around him. "Part of my physical therapy is that I have to get up and stand and walk short distances."

"But you are not to over excerpt yourself," Severus reminded her, a serious expression on his face. "Here."

He pulled a chair over for her to sit in. Rolling her eyes at his over protectiveness, yet also realizing that she was getting a bit tired she decided to sit down.

"So, how was your day today?" she asked them, curiously.

"It was great, Mum!" Harry told her, smiling brightly. "The best Christmas ever!"

He then promptly began telling her all about the gifts he had gotten from his friends, his grandfathers, and his father.

Also, he told her what his father had gotten and what his cousin had received as well.

"Harry," Severus told him, gently placing a hand on his shoulder. "Breathe."

Harry blushed in embarrassment at that. "Sorry," he said, quietly.

Lily laughed, reaching out to lift his chin.

"I don’t mind in the slightest, love," she told him, fondly. "As your father can attest to, I can be quite the chatter-box so I am glad you have inherited a little bit of that from me—otherwise, you’d be so quiet no body would know you’re in the room except you’ll probably be taller than every in it."

She glanced at Severus pointedly.

"Ha, ha," he told her, rolling his eyes. "That was so funny I forgot to laugh."

Harry gasped, glancing at him.

"Did you just make a joke?" he asked with such seriousness that it caused everyone—well, the adults any way—to burst out laughing.

"Here, Mum," Harry said, presenting his gift to her. "This is from me. Happy Christmas!"

"Oh, Sweetheart, thank you," Lily said, unwrapping the small package. "Oh, Harry!"

She held up the ivory hair comb. "I wore this exact same comb on my wedding day!"

"Actually," Severus told her, reaching into his pocket and pulling out another identical comb. "You wore this one."

Lily took the second comb and held them up. "Now I have a matching set," she said, happily.

"The Professor even had your initials engraved on them," Harry told her, showing her the ‘LJE’ engraved along one of the petals of the lily on each comb.

Lily wiped at the tears that sprang to her eyes. She hugged her son tightly.

"Thank you, darling," she told him, kissing the top of his head.

"This is from me, Lily," Severus said, handing her another—albeit a little thicker—square package.

Inside, she found a black velvet jewelry box containing a set of earrings, a necklace, and a bracelet.

She smiled, glancing up at her former—hopefully not too much longer—husband.

"This is just like the set my mother had," she told him, feeling tears well in her eyes again. "Except hers had roses instead of lilies and rubies instead of emeralds."

"I know," he told her, smiling. He knelt down beside her chair. "I remembered how much you always admired them…so I had them recreated for you."

"Oh, Sev," she told him, reaching out to cup his face with her hand. "Thank you so much. I love it."

"I love you," he told her, tilting his head up to give her a kiss...which she returned whole-heartedly. 

A throat being cleared got their attention, interrupting, and they glanced at his grandfather.

"This, my dear," Dumbledore told her, handing her a package, "is from me. It’s nothing new, I am afraid, but I think you will appreciate it."

Lily took the rectangular gift and opened it. Her eyes widened at the sight of the wand within.

"Is this…?" she asked, curiously.

The elder wizard nodded, his eye twinkling.

"Ten and quarter inches," he said, sounding exactly Mr. Ollivander. "Willow, very swishy—excellent for Charms...and Defense."

"Albus, thank you," Lily said, gently removing her wand from the box.

She felt the instant connection to it—and it felt as if she had just reconnected with an old friend.

In a way, she had. After all, for a witch her wand was an extension of herself.

Without it, it had almost felt like part of her was missing. Now, she felt truly whole again.

"And this, Lily," Tobias said, handing her yet another package, "is from me—and Draco, too. He picked it out."

Opening it, she found a very pretty pale green dress robe. She glanced up, smiling.

"It’s beautiful, thank you," she told Tobias, and the blonde boy beside him. "But how did you know my size?"

"Mother always takes me shopping with her," Draco said, blushing in embarrassment. "You and she are about the same size, I think…"

"The sales witch told us that one size will fit all," Tobias told him. "Apparently, it’s enchanted to either shrink or expand depending on the wearer."

"I thought you could wear it when you get to leave the hospital," Draco told her, shrugging.

She smiled at him. "C’mere, Mr. Malfoy," she told him, crooking his finger at him.

Hesitantly, he came to stand beside her.

He gave a little squeak when she wrapped his arms around him and gave him a kiss to the forehead.

"Thank you," she told him, gently. "Narcissa is very lucky to have such a kind, considerate son."

Draco blushed even more at that.

"It was Grandpa Toby’s idea," he told her, shrugging. "But he was going to get you this really ugly looking one…"

"Hey now," Tobias said, ruffling his hair. "It wasn’t that bad…was it?"

"It was bright pink!" Draco blurted out, wrinkling his nose. "She’d have looked like that Muggle medicine for stomach aches!"

"I believe he is referring to Pepto-Bismol," Severus said, chuckling.

"How do you know about that?" Harry asked his cousin, curiously.

The blonde boy wrinkled his nose at his uncle. "Uncle Sev gave me some one time," he told him, sourly.

"I had taken him to a Muggle amusement park one day a few years back," Severus explained, shrugging. "Where he proceeded to engorge himself on all sorts of food, despite my warnings. He ended up with a massive case of a stomach-ache and I had not thought to bring any potions with me. He did not wish to return home to get some, so…we stopped at the Muggle pharmacy and I purchased some."

"It didn’t taste too bad," Draco said, "but it still didn’t taste good, either!"

"Serves you right," Severus said, smirking. He also reached out and ruffled the blonde hair.

"I guess from now on I can call you "Peppy’?" Harry asked his cousin, smirking wickedly.

"You do and I’ll hex you into next year!" Draco threatened him, scowling.

"You do that and neither one of you will be sitting comfortably until next year," Severus warned, sternly.

Lily laughed, glad to see the easiness with which they spoke to each other.

Just like a family…

"Thank you all so much for the gifts," she told them. "You each have one over there." She pointed to the tray.

Tobias walked over to it.

"Harry, Severus, Draco," he said, handing them their gifts. "That leaves one for Al and one for me." He handed one to Albus and took the last for himself.

"Open them," Lily encouraged them, smiling.

Severus smiled at the sight of the brand new quill. "Its lovely, darling," he told her, kissing her. "Thank you."

Harry was quite happy with his new gold pocket watch—that had the Gryffindor crest on it. "It's wicked, Mum," he told her. "Thanks.

Draco also received a pocket watch—his was silver with the Slytherin crest on it.

"Thank you, Ma’am," he told her, quietly.

"You can call me ‘Aunt Lily’," she told him, gently.

He nodded. "Thank you, Aunt Lily," she told him. "Father wouldn’t let me have one yet…he said I wasn’t old enough for one."

"Nonsense," Lily said, sniffing. "This way, you won’t have any excuse to be late for classes."

"Exactly right," Severus said, smiling. "Brilliant, love."

Albus received another pair of socks—bright red with white stripes. "Wonderful," he said, happily. "Simply marvelous!"

And Tobias received a new wood-carving kit—complete with every kind of carving knife available.

"They’re enchanted to never grow dull," she told him, smiling. "I remembered how much you loved whittling."

"Thank you," he told her, bending down to kiss her cheek.

"You are all very welcome," she told them. "Happy Christmas!"

"Happy Christmas!" they all exclaimed back to her.

Unfortunately, a few moments later, Gretchen came in to inform them that it was time to go.

"See you soon, Mum," Harry hugged her good-bye. "I’m glad you’re getting better quick."

"So am I, darling," she told him. "Be good, listen to your father, and mind the school rules."

"He shall," Severus informed her, seriously. He bent down to kiss her good night. "See you next week."

She nodded, watching them all go. "Well, dear?" Gretchen asked her, curiously. "Happy visit, I take it?"

"The best," she told her, happily.

And to think, she thought to herself happily, it’s only the first of many more to come…

The End.
End Notes:
Please review. Thanks.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2561