Along Came a Family by missyanne
Summary: Severitus-beginning between years four and five. Harry is overcome with guilt over the death of Cedric Diggory and has isolated himsef from those who care. A strange gift arrives on his fifteenth birthday that changes everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 179510 Read: 210534 Published: 06 Jun 2011 Updated: 29 Oct 2020
Occlumency by missyanne

Severus looked up at the clock on the wall of his private lab. Despite the music overhead that he always played when he brewed privately, Severus had managed not to lose himself, and consequently, track of time. It was almost 5:00. The Dreamless Sleep potion had just turned the proper shade of deep purple and there would be exactly enough time to bottle it before it was time for Harry's first Occlumency lesson.

Severus had brewed the Dreamless Sleep specifically for Harry. For many novices, Occlumency was hard on the psyche under the best of circumstances. If there was a connection between Harry and the Dark Lord as Albus suspected, there were bound to be rough nights ahead.

The pain Harry would experience from his transformation would be unavoidable. Thankfully, Severus had stocked up on his stores of Bruise Paste, Essence of Dittany, and several various and sundry pain elixirs when it became obvious that the Dark Lord was affecting his return. It was a toss-up as to who would need them more in the coming months—Severus or Harry.

Tomorrow morning, Severus would begin drawing up the syllabi for the term. Normally, he would save this particularly loathsome task until the week before term began, but this summer, Severus felt pressed for time.

Severus' life changed in the blinking of an eye, and he would have to adjust as quickly. This year, the Dark Lord had returned, and even if Severus didn't have the added responsibility of training and caring for Harry, Severus' time was no longer his own and he had to be prepared if the Dark Lord summoned. He was now grateful that Albus had relieved him of brewing medicinal potions for the school stores. For some reason, Severus doubted that the Board of Governors would accept down-time needed for recuperation after Death Eater meetings as an excuse for not having his lesson plans in order.

Severus' responsibility to Harry no longer stopped at insuring that that the boy came out the other end of the war physically intact. His obligation to Harry's well-being was no longer contractual…it was instinctual. It was so instinctual, in fact, Severus had scarcely been aware that he had changed too. Now, Severus was pondering when would be the best time to take Harry to Diagon Alley for his school books, and to have him fitted for new school uniforms.

Actually, Severus had assumed that Harry's attire had just been part of the boy's disregard towards authority…rebellion, if you will. But this morning Harry had said something, that now Severus had time to think back on it, rung alarm bells in his head.

What did Harry mean by his books had been 'locked' away? Severus replayed the conversation with Harry in his brain, and he had come to the conclusion he had heard the boy correctly. Severus did pick up on it at the time, however, the conversation had taken another direction and Severus did not have the time to re-address it.

It certainly did not make sense. The fact that Harry said his books were locked away indicated that the boy was incapable of retrieving them. Not even Petunia would deny a child access from doing their homework. She had been raising the Boy-Who-Lived. Surely she would be concerned about being perceived as an ill-suited caregiver should her nephew perform academically poorly. Petunia had always been concerned with the perceptions of others.

True, only a few days afore, Severus would have bet Galleons that Harry had been lying and would have revelled in the stern punishment he would have meted out to the boy.

The boy was a terrible liar. If Severus had a Knut for every time he caught Harry Potter in a lie, he would be a rich man. Well…Severus was already a rich man, but that was beside the point. This time Harry hadn't lied, and Severus was determined he would get down to the bottom of what had happened.

In the meantime, Severus would see to it that Harry caught up with his school work. Even if Petunia were content in letting her nephew eke by in his classes, Severus would never stand for it from his son.

Severus had the means to provide for his son and that was exactly what he intended to do. Harry would have the best that Severus could provide in everything…food…shelter…clothes…access to learning, even if the boy protested and he had to drag Harry kicking and screaming along the way to do so.

Suddenly Severus had visions of turning into Lucius Malfoy in regards to his only son. Severus had no intention of spoiling Harry, but he would provide the best his money could buy…simply because he wasn't certain he had anything else to give…or anything else that Harry would want.

Severus capped the final phial and placed it in a small rectangular, wooden box along with five others, with cotton batting stuffed between the phials to keep them from breaking. He had four other boxes just like it and he left them on the table to be stored later. The Dreamless Sleep would store for six months. Merlin forbid if Harry needed more than that.

As Severus silenced his music and Noxed the lights in his lab, he took a cleansing breath. If he didn't know better, Severus would swear he was nervous about this first Occlumency lesson. He knew Harry would be. This lesson would be the first real test between himself and Harry. Severus knew he would have to tread lightly. The session would be uncomfortable for Harry under the best of circumstances. In the end, it would go either one of two ways—it would set the first foundation of what could eventually be an unbreakable bond of trust, or it would drive his son away forever. If Harry even spoke to Severus tomorrow, then there would be hope that they were on the right path.


Harry was getting frustrated now. He was having difficulty finding any more mundane plants with magical uses. Magical plants he could find everywhere. If the Whomping Willow had been an Ordinary-Everyday-Plain-Boring-Willow, Harry could have used the bark from that for one of his potion's projects. Harry did manage to get some leaves and bark off a Yew tree, because he thought he had read somewhere that they were used in potions, but he wasn't even sure about that. He supposed that was the one drawback of living in a Magical castle. The Magic permeated everything around it. Or perhaps the Magic was in the land itself. Maybe that's why the Founders built the school there to begin with.

Now Harry was really hoping that the professor would follow through on his suggestion to take Harry to Goblin's Combe. Harry knew that Snape was at least telling Harry the truth about the abundance of plant life that grew there. There was some sort of nature preserve at Goblin's Combe. When Harry and Dudley were together in Year Six, the entire class set off on a weekend school trip there. Of course, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon denied Harry permission to go. Harry missed out and when the class resumed on Monday, Harry felt bitter resentment on all of the fun he missed out on.

But Snape said he had a place there—or near there. Harry didn't remember anyone mention a grand estate nearby, but that meant nothing in the Magical world. Just like almost all other things Magical, it was probably hidden from the eyes of Muggles with various protection charms and enchantments.

Harry still had trouble processing the past few days. Thus far, living at Hogwarts with Snape…Severus (Harry supposed he should get used to calling the Potion's Master that, even in his head.) was still being decent to Harry and Harry still didn't know what to think about that.

And Severus had said something that morning that had rattled Harry all day, Soon, I may not be able to deny your paternity, even if I wished to, he had said. What did the man mean by that?

Harry had almost been inclined to believe that Snape had misspoke, but never in the years Harry had been acquainted with the Potion's Master had he known the man to say anything less than what he truly meant.

Harry didn't know what to make of that. It almost sounded as if Sn…Severus wanted to claim Harry as his son. But that just couldn't be right…could it? What would Harry do if Snape suddenly insisted? Harry didn't want to be Harry Snape…but would Harry even have the power to stop such a thing? He wouldn't be in his majority for another two years and a simple Paternity Charm would prove to the Wizengamot that Snape had every right to Harry.

It was enough to make Harry feel a bit gippy, actually.

Then there was this Occlumency business tonight. Despite what the Headmaster had said, it all sounded too much like mindreading to Harry. Even though Sn…Severus had told him that there weren't any helpful books on the subject, Harry had made a trip down to the library anyway. Without Madam Pince there to lend out the books, they could not go beyond the confines of the library.

Harry had made certain to finish up his Herbology assignment first, then spent another hour and a half looking up whatever obscure information on Occlumency he could find. Apparently, it was a very rare Magic and Snape was right, what little Harry did find written on the subject was excruciatingly vague. No wonder Snape said the books could do more harm than good.

But all of this left Harry feeling woefully unprepared for what he would be facing tonight and frankly, he was scared. The thought that Snape could be prancing about his head was disturbing enough, (then again, the thought of Snape prancing about under any circumstances was disturbing), but according to Dumbledore, if Harry failed to learn Occlumency, Voldemort could get into his head and drive him mad. There weren't powerful enough words in the world could describe how terrifying that prospect was to Harry.

As much as he knew it was too much to ask for, Harry really wished he could just have a normal life…A life that was free of Dark Wizards, and where Harry could be the part of a proper family with parents of his own who would support him and his biggest worry was how he was going to reconcile Quidditch practice with his Charm's homework. Other kids Harry's age had all of that. Why couldn't he? Harry might try to fool himself into thinking that he didn't need a parent after all of these years, but he knew it was a lie. He was maddly jealous of Ron and Hermione and the relationships they had with their families…especially Ron.

Harry wondered if his friend realised how very lucky he was. Ron grew up in a household where both of his parents loved him to the morrow, and had brothers and a sister that would come to his aid and lay their lives down for him if need be, and Ron would do the same for them. Harry knew Ron would do the same for him as well, despite…or even or precisely…because of their row last autumn during the Triwizard Tournament.

Looking back, Harry could understand why his friend had been such a prat. How easy it must be for the youngest son to get lost amongst the chaos of such a large family. With Harry, Ron had someone he could confide in when the rest of the world seemed too busy to notice him. When Ron thought Harry had added his name to the Goblet of Fire without consulting him, Ron must have felt like he was being cast aside. True, Ron should have believed Harry when Harry said he had not put his name in the cup, but pain oftentimes clouds reasoning. When Ron had finally come to Harry and admitted he was wrong and Harry accepted the apology, it had cemented their friendship that much more. During that entire time he and Ron were angry with one another, Ron never divulged any of Harry's secrets and he never lied to or about Harry. It was something that Harry had been very keen to notice.

Harry just hoped that cement had enough time to solidify. Ron hated Snape every bit as much as Harry… had…did…had?

What would Ron say once he found out Snape was Harry's father? Harry knew Ron wouldn't hold it against him that Snape was Harry's father. But Harry and Snape were supposed to bond because of this Occlumency. What would Ron say if that happened? Harry knew even if Ron threw a fit, he would eventually come around, but it could definitely make Harry's life even more pear-shaped for a while, and frankly Harry didn't need that right now. Harry had no worries about Hermione. She would support Harry no matter what. It was just that Ron was so unpredictable. It was a trait of his red-headed friend that made him fun and infuriating all at the same time.

But still, Ron was the closest thing that Harry had to a brother and the rest Weasley's had always tried to make Harry feel as if he belonged with them, and for that, Harry was eternally grateful, but he always was plagued with a nagging feeling that he was just borrowing for a while.

Harry wanted that for his own…or at least something similar. Harry wondered if it were possible to have that something similar with Severus but then pushed that notion to the back of his mind.

Once again, to hope that the Potion's professor had changed so much was too good to be true, and as much as Harry had hoped otherwise, a good life just didn't seem to be meant for the likes of Harry Potter.


At fifteen minutes after five, Severus heard the door to his quarters slam shut. He almost removed his wand, thinking he had an intruder, until he remembered that Harry had his password. Severus came out of his private lab and into the kitchen. Just as he approached the arch that led to the sitting room, Severus caught a flash of what he could only assume was a teenaged boy streak by.

Harry was already to his bedroom door when the boy called out. "Taking a shower first—be right out."

Severus still hadn't figured out why the Headmaster saw fit to give Harry an en suite when there were perfectly suitable facilities at the end of the corridor. Severus didn't even have an en suite.

Severus could hear the shower water echo through the pipes in the walls. It occurred to him that during the summer when he was normally alone, Severus wasn't accustomed to formal meals. When he wasn't at the castle, he usually just through together a quick sandwich or went out to eat if he wanted a real meal. But Harry hadn't had supper yet and Occlumency could take hours. Severus cursed himself because he should have insisted that Harry come back for tea before they began the lesson, then he came up with a rather unorthodox notion that would feed Harry and hopefully simultaneously but the boy at ease.

By the time the boy had finally emerged from his chambers his sock clad feet, his damp hair and skin smelling of balsam shampoo and anti-bacterial soap, Severus had arranged for the house-elves to set High Tea on the coffee table. The offended elf was about to protest rather loudly about High Tea being taken in the living room, that is until Severus threatened him with a full set of robes.

Harry seemed surprised at the informality. "Oh," he said has he stuffed his hands in his grey hooded sweatshirt. "Aren't we going to do Occlumency?"

"Of course we are," Severus said mildly as poured out a cup of tea and passed it to Harry. "I though perhaps first we should eat whilst you ask questions."

Perhaps it was something to do with Severus' uncharacteristically calm approach, but it looked as though all of the blood had drained from the boy's face as he absently took the teacup from Severus' extended hand.

It took a good bit of effort for Severus to keep is features under control. The look on Harry's face was absolutely comical. "I think you should sit down before you fall down, Harry."

Thankfully for the Harry, there was actually a sofa there to support him as mutely sank into the cushions.

The boy had yet to sip from his tea. He rather looked as if he were hit by Stunning Hex. Once again, resisting the temptation to make a biting remark to the boy because he had yet to recover from his stupor, Severus reached over to the table and picked a plate for himself.

"You need to eat, Harry," Severus said as he piled his plate with a slice of roast beef, a wedge a Cheshire cheese, a boiled egg and a pickled cucumber. "Learning Occlumency is quite taxing, physically as well as mentally."

Something in the boy's eyes seemed to shift, and Harry's baser teenaged instincts seemed to take over. He finally took a sip of his tea and said, "Thank you, Sir…I mean Severus," then put his cup on the table and began to help himself to a plate of food.

The tactic seemed to work as fifteen minutes later Harry was chatting openly to Severus. Harry idly talked of finishing his Herbology essay and lamenting about the lack of mundane flora growing about Hogwarts and his theory as to why, which Severus had to agree that the second was basically correct.

Harry had started in on his Trifle, when Severus decided that it was time to begin.

Severus took one last sip of oolong, and placed his cup and saucer on the table. Harry immediately noticed the atmosphere change in the room, and wearily continued with his Trifle.

Severus once again schooled his features and used his dark academic tone that always demanded attention from students. "Do you have any questions, Harry?"

Harry was obviously nervous. The boy's hand trembled slightly as he placed his Trifle cup on the table. "Yes," he asked with ill-hidden anxiety. "What is Occlumency?"

Once upon a time… like…yesterday afternoon…Severus would have said something rude as an answer to that very appropriate question. But now, Severus took Harry's Occlumency lesson very personally. This wasn't 'Potter', the son of his rival and product of Lily's infidelity. This was Harry, his son…The tangible product of Severus' and Lily's love for one another. Severus was not about to let some crazed megalomaniac with fascist-like delusions of world conquest take Harry from him.

"Occlumency is the art of protecting the mind against external invasion or influence," Severus said stoically, hoping his straight forward and detached approach would keep from panicking Harry. "The Headmaster is concerned that the Dark Lord may have unwittingly created a connection with you that night at the grave yard. You are taking these lessons as a precaution…in the unlikely event that the Headmaster is correct in his assumptions."

"Can he read my mind?"

"The Dark Lord is an accomplished enough Legilimens to correctly interpret your thoughts should you be in his presence unmastered. However, more accurately Legilimency is the ability to extract feelings and memories from the mind of another. Occlumency is the defence against such an invasion."

"So if I happen to be in Voldemort's…"

"Don't…say his name!" Severus snapped as he grabbed his left arm. He could never get Dumbledore to understand that the name was taboo amongst Death Eaters. The Dark Mark was hexed, and would twinge with pain whenever the Dark Lord's name was mentioned in Severus' presence.

Harry looked annoyed at what he apparently considered to be a rude interruption. "As I was saying…If I have to be in 'You -Know -Who's' presence," Harry said almost mockingly. "Does that mean that Dumbledore is expecting my capture? Why else would I have to learn this Occlumency?"

"It is Professor Dumbledore or Headmaster to you Po…Harry," said Severus with a bit of the old familiar chill in his voice. "And mind- your- cheek," he reprimanded.

Harry looked embarrassed, hopefully remembering that thus far, Severus had done nothing that deserved his disdain over the past three days.

"But in answer to your question," Severus resumed in his previous impassive tone as if the incident had not happened. "The Headmaster does not expect your capture. What concerns The Headmaster is that there may be an open 'channel'…as it were…between your minds. Either one of you could unknowingly enter the other's mind and 'see' through the other's eyes. If such a connection does exist and the Dark Lord was to become aware…he would unquestionably use it to his advantage. He could use your fears and manipulate your memories… causing seemingly real visions, with the intention of driving you insane."

Harry looked as though he were frozen…as if he were so quickly shaking with fear, he appeared not to move.

Amazingly, the boy's lips did move and he found his voice…somewhat. "So if I learn how to do this…Occlumency, I mean…I can keep Volde…him…out of my head?"

"No…not initially," Severus said more darkly than he intended. "If you become skilled, you will be able to control what you want him to see. You can bury the truth deep within your shields and create false memories…lies…that he will see as truth. Eventually, you will also be able to eject him forcibly from your mind before he has the opportunity to extract any undesirable information or inflict any real harm to you."

"That's why you're such a good spy, isn't it?" Harry asked, sounding a bit more assured. "You can make him 'see' your loyalty in your mind, can't you?"

"Well deduced," Severus said with a slight grin, partly from self-righteous pride, partly from pride in his son's insight.

"Wow," said Harry, looking completely impressed with Severus for the first time. "You can lie in front of V…You-Know-Who's face? It's a miracle that you can walk. You must have bollocks the size of a Mountain Troll's."

"Wow, indeed," Severus gave the slightest snicker.

Harry did his best to compose himself. "So you can teach me how to do this…how to protect my thoughts?"

Severus nodded, "That is the intention…Occlumency is a rare skill. Most wizards and witches don't have enough Magical prowess to learn it."

Harry looked anxious at that, "What makes you think that I can learn it?"

"I must admit that I had my doubts about your capability to learn Occlumency," Severus confessed. "However… I find my opinion has changed as of late."

"Why…because you found out that I'm your son?" Harry said incredulously.

"Precisely," Severus knew his face was impassive, but he could feel his black eyes gleam like Albus Dumbledore's.


Severus sat on the sofa next to Harry and they were turned to face each other. They had never been in such close, personal proximity and the awkwardness between them was palpable once again. But they both knew they would have to overcome their mutual anxiety if this was to work.

The real lesson was about to begin.

"Harry," Severus began, "The first key to mastering Occlumency is to first clear your mind and then to let it wander freely…searching."

"What am I searching for?"

"You are searching for your Element, though not consciously," Severus attempted to explain.

Harry blinked and shook his head as if he were trying to rid himself of a buzzing noise. "Searching for my element? I don't quite understand. How can I unconsciously search for something?"

"Perhaps 'searching' is the wrong term," Severus said slightly under his breath. "I suppose a more apt description would be 'waiting'. You must wait for your Element to compel you…to draw you in."

This time Harry nodded as if he understood the concept more…if only slightly. "What are the Elements I'm looking for," Harry asked. "Why do I need to find one?"

Severus softened his voice to be as smooth as the finest silk so not to jar his son away from his words. "Earth-Wind-Fire and Water…these are the four classical elements that create all that lies within our earthly realm. Most wizards who attempt to learn Occlumency make the fatal error of trying to construct their shields based on man-made objects."

"Like a castle wall, or a vault," Harry said thoughtfully.

Severus gave Harry a nod of acquiescence, indicating to his son he was following the right path. "Mental shields based upon artificial objects are weak and easily penetrated," Severus explained. "The trappings of Wizards and Muggles are but fleeting, Harry, but raw Nature is the most powerful force that binds us all. Raw Nature is eternal. It existed before the Dawn of Man and will continue after we have long since departed from this world. Nature gives life and takes it away. It can create and destroy. Constructing your mental shield around an Elemental barrier will give you an advantage and when utilised properly, can make your mind impenetrable to invasion."

Severus could almost physically feel Harry's anxiety level rise when the boy said, "That sounds rather difficult. What if I can't find my Element?"

"You must find your Element, Harry, or we will inevitably fail," Severus said darkly. "I cannot ask you to defend your mind without the means to do so. That would be akin to mental rape."

"How will I know if I find my Element?

"You will know, Harry."

"But how..."

"How do you breathe?" Harry looked at him, still perplexed. But Severus simply reiterated a palliative tone, "You will know."

Severus could tell that the boy was wrestling with an internal struggle and ever so hesitantly, Harry finally asked, "Will…will you help me?"

"Yes," Severus said reassuringly to his son. "Close your eyes…and trust me."

"Okay," the boy said timidly. Severus knew how almost impossibly hard this was for Harry. It was like diving off of a cliff and having faith that prayers alone were enough to protect you.

"Breathe with me Harry," Severus said. His voice was so soothing, that Severus almost did not recognise it as his own. "In…Out…In…Out…"

Soon they were breathing as one and Severus could tell that Harry was ready.

"Legilimens"

Severus gently evoked the incantation and entered his son's mind.


What Severus found was both heartening… and disturbing.

It was two o'clock in the morning. Harry had gone to bed almost two hours ago, mentally and emotionally exhausted. By the time the Occlumency lesson was over, he was no longer speaking to Severus.

That was something Severus had come to expect, tomorrow whether the boy realised it or not, Harry would grudgingly speak to Severus again...but it sure as hell didn't make what Severus had discovered any easier to accept.

Severus could not sleep. He sat in his chair, single malt in hand. Everything…it was too much…too fast.

For a second, he selfishly thought that perhaps he should have postponed Harry's Occlumency lesson.

He should have given enough time for them to know each other, to know what to expect. Severus certainly did not expect to find what he had.

One thing that Severus discovered was an appreciation for the other two-thirds of the Golden Trio. If it had not been for Weasley and the Granger girl keeping the boy grounded, Harry might have descended into madness...or managed to get himself killed long ago. Even now, both were a distinct possibility.

Unfortunately, Harry had been isolating himself from the very friends that had managed to keep him alive and sane. Harry's feelings of guilt over the Diggory boy's death were unfounded, but it still cut deep. If something were to happen to Granger or Weasley…Severus was afraid that Harry might turn his wand on himself.

The rub was that Harry's concern over the Weasleys and the Grangers being targeted for death was not unfounded; however, isolating himself from them would not change that fact.

Like it or not, Harry's little friends and their families were involved in this war up to their eyebrows. They were going to have to fight eventually. Harry might as well let them fight beside him.

It had occurred to Severus that Harry had fought for his life more times than even he had.

"The boy is only fifteen," Severus said as he mourned for his son's lost childhood.

Already, Harry had witnessed the death of a friend, and the war hadn't really begun yet. How much more was his son going to have to endure at the hands of the Dark Lord?

But that was not the worst of it. Albus' fears had come to fruition. There was a connection between Harry and The Dark Lord. Harry did not know it...and thank Merlin, neither did the Dark Lord...but Harry had 'seen' Severus' meeting with the monster. It was now imperative that Harry learn Occlumency, post haste.

As if having fought off the Dark Lord three times in a span of four years and having him invade the boy's mind wasn't bad enough. Harry had not even been able to turn to the adults who were supposed to be protecting him. They had all failed the boy, Albus…Minerva…Lupin…the Mutt, even he... Severus. But it was the Dursleys…Petunia…who Severus could not absolve.

How could she? Severus lamented.

Petunia had been entrusted and had agreed to care for little Harry. If the situation were reversed, Lily would have cherished Petunia's little piglet. If Severus had been with Lily, even he would have treated the boy as his own.

For all of Petunia's past fascination with magic and Harry's veneration throughout the Wizarding world, Severus had actually thought that she would have spoiled the child for all his celebrity.

Severus couldn't have been more wrong about his would-be-sister-in law.

Severus knew that the death of her parents at the hands of Death Eaters had turned Petunia's fascination of magic into fear. Fear was only one step away from hatred, and apparently, Petunia had come to hate all things magic…especially her sister's son.

Severus had seen the five-year-old-Harry's bum blistered raw when he dropped a china platter he had been washing. It was too big for his tiny hands. Even as he stood on the top step of the stepladder, he could barely reach the basin to wash dishes.

The Dursley's bulbous son laughed as he watched his father take a belt to Harry's bare bottom right there in the kitchen.

The pig-like child was eating his third pudding. Harry was sent to bed without dinner.

Petunia did nothing as she let her whale of a husband beat on her small, defenceless nephew.

Years of cruelty and neglect played out before Severus' eyes. The excessive chores…the occasional, yet brutal beatings… Dudley's bullying…the days on end without a decent meal…the cupboard.

My cupboard, Harry had called it the night the Advance Guard came to escort him to Grimmauld Place. Nobody had caught the meaning.

Petunia had confined Lily's son…his son… to a boot cupboard for ten years.

"TEN YEARS!" Severus cried out as he slammed his glass down hard on the little end table and it shattered.

He looked at the broken glass and his bloody hand. Damn! It was the second in two days. Severus was going to have to resort to Muggle plastic at this rate. Goblin made crystal was too damn expensive.

The pain that shot through Severus' hand had managed to curb his temper. He transfigured the largest shard into a flannel and spelled away the rest of the debris from the table and floor.

With the flannel protecting his good hand, he gingerly cupped his injured one and made way to his private potion's lab.

Once in his lab, Severus made for the medicinal cabinet and took out the bandages soaked in Murtlap Essence. One by one he plucked out the tiny shards with his wand, and then wrapped his hand. The pain eased immediately.

"Ten years," he muttered beneath his breath again, and another four of continued abuse.

Severus cursed his mentor. "Damn you, Albus."

The Headmaster had a rare case of tunnel vision. He had been so set upon keeping Harry safe from Death Eaters; it never occurred to him that Harry might need to be kept safe from his own relatives.

Ironically, Albus had done that exact thing for Severus...protected him from an abusive grandfather. Why hadn't Albus seen the signs in Harry? Why hadn't Severus? Severus saw Harry's cut eye. Why hadn't he caught the boy's lie?

As far as Severus was concerned, Albus could kiss a Dementors arse before Severus would allow Harry to go back the Dursley's. There was more than one way to protect Harry from the Dark Lord.

Number Four Privet Drive was not the only home protected by Blood Wards.

His cottage at the Prince Manor estate near Goblin Combe was also protected by Blood Wards. Merlin himself couldn't find the place without Severus telling him where it was, and he'd still need to 'knock on the door' …as it were…to get in the gates.

Oh, Yes…there would be serious discussions with Albus Dumbledore, as well as Petunia and Vernon Dursley…and soon.

But Severus had reason to feel optimistic that he could help Harry. He had reason to believe that their bond could become stronger than anyone dared hope. Harry's shield was of the same Elemental force as Severus', only a rare few had it.

Many, including Severus, considered it to be the most powerful Element of them all.

Water.

Harry's shield had taken the form of a waterfall. At the moment Harry's falls were as gossamer Thestral wings. Harry could hide his memories easily enough. However a truly skilled Legilimens would make short work of his current shields. But with time, Harry's shields would be as powerful and impenetrable as the Mosi-o-Tunya. And like those colossal falls, whomever tried to invade Harry's mind would have to contend with the mighty Smoke-That-Thunders.

Severus did not know what to make of Harry's Element. He had expected for Harry to have gravitated towards Fire. Fire was, after all, the representative Element of the House of Gryffindor. Albus Dumbledore's mastery over Fiendfyre was a testament to that fact. Water was the Element of Slytherin House.

But of one thing Severus did find reassuring, if given enough time, Harry would be more than capable to protect his mind from the Dark Lord.

It was now Severus' turn to become overwhelmed with exhaustion. He tiredly capped and put away his jar of Murtlap Wraps, then headed for his bedchamber.

As Severus approached the door to his room, he stopped and turned around. After debating and staring at his son's bedroom door for what felt like forever, Severus decided to enter.

He opened the door and walked across the room to Harry's bed and looked down at his sleeping teenager. For brief moment…Severus saw a sleeping infant with a mop of raven hair sleeping in his cot, but the vision had been fleeting.

His poor son.

If Severus could endure Harry's pain in the boy's stead, Severus would do so gladly. What parent worth a Knut wouldn't?

But alas…Severus could not take away Harry's pain, but if he did his job right…Severus could at the very least, help to ease it. He would make damn certain that Harry would never have to struggle through the tribulations of his life alone again.

If Severus was anything, he was a realist. Harry would have tribulations.

Merlin, how he wished they were nothing more than girls and facial blemishes. At least Severus had potions for those.

Harry's problems were not even limited to the Dursleys and the Dark Lord. Next week, Harry would have to go before the Wizengamot, just in an effort to stay in school, not to mention his debacle with his goddog.

If it were up to Severus, he'd summon the Dog Warden on the mongrel and have him neutered. But although Harry would not admit it, the division between himself and Black sorely distressed the boy.

For Harry's sake… Severus would seek reconciliation with Black.

Severus took one last look at Harry. He fought the urge to touch his son's hair. He reached out, but drew his hand back. He had not yet earned that right.

Severus quietly left Harry's room, reluctantly leaving the boy to his dreams. Severus would see to it that Harry's dream of a loving family would be the one dream to become a reality.

Severus would see to it…or die trying.

 

Return to Top
To be continued...
End Notes:
Whew...that catches things up to the re-write. In the original, the action in this chapter took place in chapter 9, so there is a lot of new material. Please, let me know what you think. Chapter 13 in a couple of days.

TTFN
~Missyann


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2564