Along Came a Family by missyanne
Summary: Severitus-beginning between years four and five. Harry is overcome with guilt over the death of Cedric Diggory and has isolated himsef from those who care. A strange gift arrives on his fifteenth birthday that changes everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 179510 Read: 210534 Published: 06 Jun 2011 Updated: 29 Oct 2020
Back to Grimmauld Place by missyanne

Harry went to bed the night before, not knowing how to feel. There was a part of him that wanted to hate Severus Snape for is part in the deaths of Harry's parents, but he couldn't. Harry could feel the genuine feelings of guilt and remorse radiate off of Severus in palpable waves. Harry knew Snape had no intention of hurting anyone. It was just one of those cruel twists of fate. If anything, Harry felt rather sorry for the man…harbouring that kind of guilt for twelve years. Harry understood how much of a soul-crushing burden that was.

No wonder Severus Snape became the acerbic and bitter man he had become. At times over this past summer, a part of Harry had felt himself almost wanting to follow that same path if it meant not directly dealing with the pain. Harry could never completely absolve himself of Cedric's death, and Harry had gathered as much about Severus during their Occlumency lesson to know that the Potion's professor felt the same about Harry's mother…and even James Potter.

After Harry had cried in Severus' shoulder for who-knows how long, like a complete wally, Severus attempted to get Harry to talk about his time at the Dursley's. But Harry wasn't ready for that…not yet at any rate. However, Harry knew when and if he was ready—Severus would listen. Harry was even inclined to believe he might understand. Even this morning, Severus hadn't brought up the events of last night and taunted Harry with the details, as Harry would have once expected Snape to do.

On the two or three occasions Severus had mentioned his parents—and especially his Grandfather Prince—he sounded…off … to Harry. He had a sinking suspicion Severus understood more about Harry and his treatment by the Dursleys, than what Harry was afraid to admit on behalf of the Potion's Master. And Harry was certain Severus understood what it felt like to be tortured at the hands of Voldemort.

Harry finally felt as if someone might understand him. What a kick in the pants, that out of all the people in the world, it ended up to be Severus Snape. Harry still hurt. There was no mistaking about that, but it felt as if the weight of that pain was not quite so pressing...that there was someone else to help bear his burdens.

Harry found it amazing how cathartic a simple cry-out could be. It did not solve his problems by any means, but it helped to put his life back into perspective again.

It was another beautiful afternoon and Harry wanted to be a part of it. He was heading up to the Owlery after having lunch with Severus and a quick nap. Harry hadn't even let his weird dream disturb him.

The house-elves had really outdone themselves with the Steak and Kidney Pie. The little elves were practically obsessed. Harry and Severus were the only two people in that castle that summer. It was all Severus could do to keep the bored little creatures from getting underfoot.

Normally, other than Hagrid, Professor Snape was the only person who stayed in the castle at any length during the summer holidays, as he was almost always conducting private research and he usually required very little of them. According to Severus, this fact usually made the high-strung and eager-to-serve elves resentful. Other professors occasionally stopped in during the summers to utilise the library, Severus had said, but Harry had yet to see any others over the summer.

The only task Severus usually let elves do on a regular basis was his laundry. Harry couldn't help but laugh when Severus said he was certain the elves usually vented their frustration for lack of work by adding too much starch to his pants. Severus had never been able to prove it, but he was now certain his theory was correct. He noticed that his underclothes were softer and much more comfortable now that Harry was staying in his quarters and they had more work to do. The elves were ecstatic that Severus had allowed the Great Harry Potter to stay in his quarters. Now they had someone to dote over. Harry wondered if the fact that Severus now had comfortable pants might have something to do with his change of disposition.

Harry had initially wanted to visit Hagrid, but it occurred to him that he hadn't seen the Magical Creatures professor. Harry asked Severus where Hagrid had gone to, as his giant friend was actually a full-time resident of the castle. Severus said that Hagrid was simply on holiday, and left it at that. Harry wondered where Hagrid might go on holiday. He shuddered at the vision of the hairy half-giant sunning himself on the beaches of Bournemouth or Southend-on-Sea.

Harry had no more time to muse as he entered the Owlery. The white form of his Snowy Owl was easy to discern from the Tawny and Barn Owls that belonged to the school. She was the only owl awake as dusk was still at least a couple of hours away.

"Hey girl," Harry called out, then tutted as he held out his outstretched arm. Hedwig silently glided and landed on his arm. Harry lovingly stroked her soft, snowy white plumage on her chest and Hedwig hooted and affectionately nipped his sleeve in approval.

Harry left with his Familiar and as soon as they came to the staircase, Hedwig instinctively took off so not to throw off her master's balance as he descended the stairs. She returned and landed on his shoulder as he approached the bottom steps, then continued her nibbling, this time on his hair. Harry had to smile.

"Yeah…I missed you too, Hedwig," he said affectionately.

Harry strolled down to the shore of the Black Lake along with Hedwig on his shoulder. When he reached the shore, he coaxed her again down to his arm and asked, "Are you ready?"

Hedwig gave him an affirmative hoot and with a quick toss into the air, Harry released her. Harry loved to watch Hedwig fly. He'd get on his broom and fly too, but then he couldn't watch her soar. When he watched Hedwig, Harry's heart would always fly right along with her. He smiled openly again as Hedwig caught one of the thermals over the lake and disappeared into the tree line of the forest.

Once Hedwig had finally flown from his sight, Harry sat on an old fallen log. He happened to look down. The flat, smooth stones that littered the shoreline of the lake seemed to be custom-made for skipping.

Sitting by the lake shore and skipping stones across the water, for the first time in as long as he could remember, Harry was actually enjoying his day.

Harry thought more over the past two weeks, and found that he was truly grateful to Dumbledore for forcing this situation on him. Learning Occlumency had to be one of the best things to ever happen to Harry. It hadn't even occurred to Harry that he hadn't been resting properly over the summer. Only now that Severus had been helping Harry clear his mind every night, had Harry realised how much the events in the graveyard had come to haunt him.

Since coming to live with Severus, Harry hadn't had any more disturbing dreams, unless one counted the one he had just a couple of hours ago. Harry was reluctant to call it disturbing, really. In fact, he found it rather comical, if it weren't for the fact that it involved Mr Malfoy and Voldemort.

Honestly…Harry had dreamed that Mr Malfoy had found instructions to something that required the sacrificing of abalone, and Voldemort was a very happy bunny about it. How mad was that? Maybe Voldemort had a fancy for sushi? Harry supposed even Dark Lords had to eat.

As humorous as it was for Harry to imagine Voldemort sending out his Death Eaters to frantically search the countryside for a Sushi Chef to join their ranks, he knew that Severus would not. As real as the dream seemed, Harry was certain it had nothing to do with their supposed connection. Despite Harry's certainty that it meant nothing, he would tell Severus tonight during their next Occlumency session. Severus would want to know. Harry would have told Severus after he finished his nap, but Severus had been busy in his office finalising his syllabi for the next term. Harry didn't find the odd little dream important enough to disturb Severus from his work at that particular moment.

Between his musings and skipping stones, Harry had lost track of time. It felt rather nice, actually…idling away an afternoon without allowing the worries of the world to press in on him for once.

Harry stopped his stone-skipping and looked across the lake. The little speck moving towards him grew bigger. Hedwig was on her way back home to Harry. He held out his welcoming arm and she obligingly took her perch. Harry noticed she still had one of his black hairs in her beak. He hadn't realised she had actually pulled out any of his hair when she preened him. Harry pulled out the long hair so she wouldn't choke on it and cast it into the breeze. He idly thought that he hadn't realised his hair was so long and debated whether or not it was time for a haircut.

Harry began his walk back to the Owlery with Hedwig. Unbeknownst to him, he was once again being watched from above.


Severus Snape stood atop the Astronomy tower–again. This time, however, it was not coincidental. Yes…this time he had come to the top of the tower for the sole purpose of watching his son.

He had finally managed to get his lesson plans finished and his final revisions were now sitting on Dumbledore's desk. They only awaited the Headmaster's final approval. As usual, Severus' requests went slightly over budget but the extra allocation for potion ingredients could always be taken out of Trelawney's tea budget. Honestly…the Board of Governors almost matched the budget for Trelawney's tea leaves with that of potions. What kind of bloody predictions did they expect out of a horde of teenagers?

Of course, the world needed to know if the likes of Ms Brown and Ms Patil were going to be asked out on the next Hogsmeade weekend with either Mr Thomas or Mr Weasley. Alert The Daily Prophet! Ah, yes…Severus had confiscated more than one letter passed between the Trelawney's little acolytes. If he caught them again, the chits were going to spend their Hogsmeade weekend on a date with Argus Filch…cleaning toilets with toothbrushes.

After he was done, Severus noticed that Harry had awakened from his cat-nap on the sofa and had apparently decided to wander about the castle. This didn't leave Severus overly concerned. Harry was fifteen years-old, after all…hardly in need of a babysitter in a warded castle. But Severus had to admit…despite his changing views of his son, Harry did always seem to find trouble…or trouble found Harry.

With Harry's proclivity to attract mayhem in mind, Severus thought that perhaps it was best to check up on the boy.

As it was a nice day, Severus surmised Harry might have taken himself outside, so he headed for the Astronomy Tower as it afforded the best vantage point of the school grounds.

When Severus arrived at the top of the tower, his instinct told him to scan the skies first. His heart raced a little when he failed to find Harry on his broom.

Severus' eyes then searched the grounds. It didn't take him long to spot Harry approaching the shore of the Black Lake.

Harry had his Familiar with him and Severus watched in fascination as Harry released his Snow Owl. Just as Harry had done, Severus watched the breath-taking bird arc over the Dark Forest and then disappear from view.

Harry sat on a rotted-out log and occupied himself by skipping stones.

No one was there to see the rare smile that came across Severus' face as the stones broke the glassy surface of the lake.

Skipping stones had been one of Lily's favourite pastimes when they were children. Severus would often join her. As they would skip their stones, Lily would often chatter away about some trivial subject or another and Severus would hang on her every word. Sometimes, they wouldn't talk at all, but instead pass the time in companionable silence.

Those days had been amongst the happiest in Severus' miserable youth. In fact, the only time in his childhood he had ever been completely happy, was in the company of Lily Evans. She had given him hope in what would have otherwise been a wretched life.

Severus had thought that hope had been lost when he believed that Lily had left him for James Potter. He thought it irrevocably gone when she died. Now Severus had new hope. Harry had given Severus hope last night…hope that he could still be a father to his son.

Severus had taken a great risk last night confiding in Harry. Harry could have turned against him easily and rightfully so. But Harry needed to hear the truth of what happened and how it had affected Severus. Harry needed to know he wasn't alone.

When Harry had finally turned to Severus for comfort, Severus offered it readily and without reservation. However, there was a part of Severus that wished he could be more demonstrative for his son, but such sentimentality had not been in his nature for a very long time…if ever.

Severus had already been through his healing process. He already had his scars. The scars helped dull the pain, but they were a constant reminder of the wounds he had suffered during his life. He wondered how many more scars his son would bear before it was all said and done.

Severus snapped out of his recollections as he noticed a small shadow grow larger against the stone wall. Something was silently approaching him from behind. Severus turned, and was startled to see none-other than the hoary form of Harry's owl fly past him. What was the name Harry had given her…Hedwig?

The owl gracefully landed on one of the merlons and turned to face Severus.

Severus could not help but admire what a beautiful creature the snowy owl was…her silvery white feathers speckled by her shadowy grey camouflage. Her soft amber eyes regarded him intently.

Severus could not help but to feel slightly apprehensive. Wizarding Familiars were often very in tune with the emotions of their masters. Was the owl aware of the past enmity between Harry and Severus? Would she sense Severus' intentions now?

It occurred to Severus that he was actually nervous…really nervous. He wasn't certain why the opinion of Harry's bird mattered to him…but it did.

Severus' heart began to race as Hedwig suddenly flew towards him and she perched herself on his shoulder. He was nearly caught off-guard by the sudden weight of her. The bird gave Severus a little approving nip by gently pulling at his hair, then flew off, leaving Severus utterly flabbergasted.

Severus stepped back over to look past the tower wall and continued to watch Harry by the lake. Harry seemed to be enjoying himself and Severus let his own sense of contentment wash over him. Severus cared nothing of the time as he stayed fixated on his son, until he noticed Hedwig on the horizon. She had apparently circled the lake and was now returning to Harry.

With his Familiar perched on his arm, Harry made his way back towards the direction of the Owlery.

Severus' contentment was gone in a flash of pain and was replaced by sudden fear. He grabbed his burning forearm, and cursed beneath his breath. Clinching his teeth, he quickly descended the stairs.

"Damn!" Severus exclaimed as he ran down the spiralling staircase.

The timing couldn't have been worse. There was no one else in the castle. The Headmaster had returned to his quest. Severus had no clue as to where he would be at this time. Without Severus, there would be no one left in the school.

But at the moment, Severus had no time to ponder about the school. The school would take care of itself.

Severus had to get Harry to safety. As well protected as Hogwarts was, he could not risk leaving the boy alone.

Time was of the essence. If Severus was not quick, he would be hard-pressed to excuse his tardiness to the Dark Lord. The Dark Lord allowed Severus only ten minutes from the time of The Summons in order to Apparate to his side. The only reason Severus had been given that generous amount of time was because the Dark Lord assumed Severus had to make his way out past the castle gates to Apparate and that took time. Anything more than ten minutes, and Severus had better have a damn good excuse…and even then Severus was guaranteed at least one Cruciatus for his troubles.

As it was, there was no time to run down, find Harry, and then rush back to his dungeons and retrieve his Death Eater robes and mask.

When Severus reached the bottom of the stairs, without breaking his stride he called out, "Stiltskin!"

With a pop of Apparition, the school house-elf assigned to the Headmaster appeared next to Severus, miraculously keeping up with the Potion Master's long strides as he bounded alongside. "What is it Stiltskin can do for you Potion's Master, Sir?" The little elf wasn't even breathing hard.

"My robes and mask…get them and meet me in the Headmaster's office," Severus ordered.

With a knowing nod and asking no more questions, the elf popped away just as quickly as it had appeared. During the past spring, with the return of the Dark Lord, Albus had instructed his most trusted elf to assist Severus in regards to his 'other duties' whenever needed. Severus would have to leave from the Headmaster's office. It was the closest Floo in the castle with outside access. Now getting back into the castle would pose another problem...

Severus was now running full-tilt out the main entrance and down to the Owlery to find Harry. He was running out of time.

He met Harry as the boy was descending the stairs. Harry must have seen the alarm on Severus' face. Severus would take care of that shortly, but first things, first. Before Harry had a chance to ask his questions, Severus said abruptly, "I must get you to Black…now!"

Much to the boy's credit, he realised that Severus meant deadly business, and Harry kept up with Severus' rushed pace.

Severus was not surprised when Harry asked through his quickening breath, "You're being summoned…aren't you?"

"It is nothing to upset yourself with. We simply need to make haste." Severus came to an abrupt halt in front of the stone gargoyle that guarded the Headmaster's office. It opened without the benefit of a password and Severus ran up the stairs with Harry close behind.

"How did you do that?" Harry gasped.

"There will be time to explain later," Severus said sharply as the solid oak doors of the Headmaster's office swung open and Severus motioned Harry in. On the other side of the door stood Stiltskin, waiting for Severus. The small elf had Severus' silver mask in one hand and was practically smothered in the voluminous black silk of Severus' robes.

"Your Dark Robes, Potion's Master Sir," the elf squeaked, and offered up the robes to Severus with a slightly bowed head. Severus could almost denote a tone of pity from the house-elf for what Severus was about to do.

Harry was doing his best not to panic at the sight of the robes. Damn it all to Hell! Severus should have thought to ask the elf to shrink them, so not to upset Harry.

"Thank you, Stiltskin," Severus said as he took his mask and robes from the elf. He then ordered to his son, "Get in the Floo, Harry."

Severus shrunk is Death Eater robes and mask and tucked them into the inner pocket of his everyday robes. He needed to keep them away from Harry and he did not wish to upset the residents of Grimmauld Place any more than was necessary, either. Severus then grabbed a handful of Floo Powder from the box atop the Headmaster's mantel and stepped into the Floo next to his very anxious son.

Snape tossed down the handful of sparkling green powder into the Floo and announced, "Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place." Severus' booming voice echoed up the Floo, and he and his son were transported away in a blinding flash of emerald light.


Severus and Harry stepped out of the Floo at Black's home. Once again, Severus had to reach out to keep Harry from landing face first.

"Thank you," Harry said sheepishly. But Severus did not respond. He was too focused.

There was no one in the sitting room and Severus rushed down the stairs, leaving Harry in the sitting room.

"Black…Lupin!" he called out.

He needn't have done so. Lupin met him halfway up the stairs with the teenagers standing behind him trying to see what all the fuss was about. Severus could hear that Harry had come out of the sitting room and was now standing behind him as well.

"What's got your panties in a twist Snape?" Severus looked above him to see Black and Molly Weasley staring down at him from the second floor landing, both completely coated in dust and grim. Black glared at Severus with his usual derision whilst Molly looked to be annoyed with Black.

"That's enough, Padfoot," Lupin admonished half-heartedly to his pack-mate.

From the gaze Lupin set on Severus, it was obvious that at least one Marauder recognised the seriousness of the situation. Severus always believed the Wolf was actually the most sensible of the Marauders... which actually wasn't saying much. Severus felt what small advantage Lupin had in intellect was negated by his lack of backbone.

Lupin turned to Severus, "What's wrong, Severus? We weren't expecting Harry until time to go to Diagon Alley."

"What do you think?" Severus said, trying to keep his tone from sounding too acerbic. "The Headmaster is gone. Harry will need to stay here until I return."

Severus noticed the exchange of looks going on between Harry and his friends. Obviously, the other two-thirds of the Golden-Trio wanted explanations. Severus wondered if Harry would provide them. Severus had already discussed the point with Harry. Mr Weasley and Ms Granger had already proven their loyalty to the ability to keep secrets. If Harry felt the need to discuss recent events with his best friends, he was at liberty to do so with the express instructions that nothing went beyond Weasley and Granger. Severus knew full-well that if Harry was so inclined, he would tell his friends regardless of having permission from Severus or not.

Unfortunately, Black would have to be told. Severus had offered to do the deed for Harry if the boy was too uncomfortable, but Harry simply said he would think on it.

"Running off to lick your master's boots, Snivellus?" Severus heard Black mock from on-high. He really wished Black would learn to keep his bark to himself. Severus could feel that Black's attitude was beginning to upset Harry even more. But still, though Severus loathed to admit it, other than Severus himself, no one would protect Harry more fiercely than Black.

But Severus did not have time to exchange witticisms with Black. Severus turned to Lupin and said, "I don't have time to play with the house pet."

Severus then faced Harry and took him by the shoulders. He looked his son in the eyes and said with a tone that would warrant no argument, "Harry…Do not leave this house. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Sir." Severus could sense the boy's increasing worry, but he couldn't address it now. He had to have time to fully Occlude before he Disapparated.

"And you," Severus turned to look up at Black and warned in his deadliest tone, "If Harry leaves this house or should anything happen to him…you will answer to me."

Without waiting for a retort from Black, Severus swooped down the stairs and the children parted like the Red Sea. They were aware that it was never a bright idea be in the Potion Master's way, especially when the wizard had a singular purpose. At the moment, Severus' purpose was his job.

The front door to Number Twelve Grimmauld Place opened of its own volition. As Severus stepped out into the clear, late afternoon light, the door closed behind him. He stayed within the garden gates so he would remain unnoticed by Muggles and wizards, alike.

Severus reached into his pocket, took out his mask and restored it to its proper size. With a quick charm, his everyday garb transformed into his majestic Death Eater robes. As beautifully tailored as they were, Severus hated them. They made him feel unclean.

Severus noticed the front door to the house was open again and he looked up to see that Harry was standing in the doorway, blocking the view of the rest of the household with the door close to his back. The look of concern etched on Harry's face made the boy appear as if he had aged twenty years in the course of minutes.

Severus never wanted Harry to see him like this...in his Dark Robes. He allowed himself one last display of emotion as he returned a look to Harry that was intended to ensure his son that all would be well. Severus hoped that Harry caught it.

With a heavy breath, Severus finally Occluded and cleared his conscious thoughts of all memory and emotion involving his son.

He did not look back again as he turned on his heel, and Apparated to the Dark Lord's side.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2564