Along Came a Family by missyanne
Summary: Severitus-beginning between years four and five. Harry is overcome with guilt over the death of Cedric Diggory and has isolated himsef from those who care. A strange gift arrives on his fifteenth birthday that changes everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 179510 Read: 209934 Published: 06 Jun 2011 Updated: 29 Oct 2020
Diagon Alley by missyanne
Author's Notes:
On occasion, I will refer to Severus as 'Remus' when he is in his Polyjucied form in order to help with visualisation

Severus was happy to finally get out of the dark halls of Grimmauld Place once again. He decided to go ahead and take Harry home tonight. Black was obviously being totally unreasonable. Lupin had told Severus that Black did not even have the intention of attending the Weasley girl's party, choosing instead to sulk the day away in the master bedroom where he kept his fugitive hippogriff. (Why the hell would Black keep a hippogriff holed-up in a bedroom was beyond Severus. Why not just let the poor beast go?)When Severus asked why Black was staying away, Lupin simply said matter-of- factly that Black hated parties. Severus had no idea if that were true or not, but he cursed Black nonetheless.

No matter what Black's reasons were, Harry was certain to take Black's absence as a slight on him. There was no point in continuing to expose the boy to his stodgy godfather. It wasn't as if Harry wouldn't be seeing his friends again. Severus had already said the boy could invite his friends to the manor. If Harry wanted to commemorate the anniversary of Ms Weasley's birth then, no doubt the house-elves would be happy to arrange something.

Disguised as the accursed werewolf and wearing one of Lupin's least patched robes, Severus stepped out of the public access Floo at the Leaky Cauldron only to abruptly reach out and try to catch a tumbling Harry. The boy neglected to step out of the Floo fast enough. Thankfully, Severus had managed to right himself almost immediately and luckily for the boy, Bill Weasley was already there waiting.

"Whoa! Harry!" Weasley exclaimed as he grabbed Harry around the waist. "Careful there, kid!" he said as he released a blushing and embarrassed teen.

'Uh…thanks, Bill," Harry said as he dusted he ash from his robes. Harry looked both humiliated and envious as he watched Severus step gracefully out of the Floo. Even in the unfamiliar and less majestic form of Remus Lupin, Severus knew he made it look effortless.

"Why is it that I always come through these things looking like a bleeding sweep and you always look like you like you just stepped out of the other room?" Harry griped.

"Haven't you ever heard the moniker 'Awkward Teen'?" Severus said as he spelled the ash off of Harry. "…the operative word being 'Awkward'."

Harry gave Severus a rather odd look. Perhaps Severus Snape's sarcasm sounded too surreal coming from the lips of Remus Lupin.

Severus felt his upper lip curl as Harry said through ill-concealed good-nature, "Like I told you before, if you want to pass a Remus, you have to get rid of all the snark and snarl."

Severus tried to smile, but his efforts were only awarded with chuckles from Harry and the Weasley scion.

"Just leave the Professor be, Harry," Mr Weasley said. "If the closest he's going to get is that sneer, he's better off not trying it at all. We'll tell everyone that one of the twins hexed you with a Stone in the Shoe Curse, Professor."

"You will do nothing of the sort, Mr Weasley," Severus scowled as he began righting Harry's oversized shirt collar. Harry squirmed under Severus' ministrations. The bloody collar simply wouldn't lay down right and Severus finally gave up and just cast a shrinking spell on Harry's entire ensemble.

"Hey!" Harry exclaimed, more out of surprise than protest, from Severus' guess.

"I think a trip to Madam Malkin's first, should be in order," Severus said gruffly. "Where are the others, Mr Weasley?" he said before Harry could voice the question that was so very obvious on the tip of the boy's lips.

Severus saw his reflexion in a hanging wall mirror used so people could assure themselves that they were free of ash before greeting the public. He was tempted to have Lupin fitted for a new robe, but just as quickly decided against it. He had slipped Lupin's normally too-short robes on in private, before his transformation…as a courtesy to the werewolf's own privacy. Being fitted properly for a new wardrobe meant stripping down to the pants to try on various sizes and colours first. Severus had no desire what-so-ever to get to know Lupin that well. Plus, Severus would invariably choose black. With Lupin's sickly complexion, the werewolf would look more like the walking dead if he wore the dark colour …even in comparison to Severus.

Just as well that Severus stuck to buying the lycanthrope's school supplies.

"They stepped out into the back alley," Bill explained as the trio entered into the main dining room of the Leaky Cauldron. "The kids were beginning to niggle Mum for some fresh air."

They passed quickly through the dining room. Severus was glad that Harry looked half-way decent now that his clothes fit him better.

Fate was on their side, and the trio only warranted one or two second glances by the time they slipped into the back alley behind the inn. The Weasley's plus Ms Granger and Ms Tonks were all crowded onto the little platform, waiting for Harry and 'Remus' to arrive.

Harry went and stood to wait by his friends and Severus impatiently broke his way through the massed family. Fortunately, Severus' profession gave him a strong constitution as his senses were assaulted by the rancid-sweet odour of day old rubbish. He thought to himself that there had to be better places to find fresh air than on a rubbish dock.

'Remus' began to smartly tap out the sequence on the brick wall that opened the portal to Diagon Alley. "Ms Tonks," Ms Tonks snapped out of her apparent fantasy at the sound of 'Remus' biting tone. "If you continue to ogle me in such a manner…I won't hesitate to hex your eyes shut."

The looks of adoration the pink-haired Auror had favoured Severus…or rather 'Remus' with, had now changed to a deadly glare.

There was unison of snickers and guffaws as Ms Tonks blushed with embarrassment and her hair turned from lavender to hot pink. She said nothing out of fear of making an awkward situation worse.

"Don't worry Tonks…," smiled one of the Weasley doppelgangers as everybody filed into Diagon Ally.
"…We won't tell anybody that you have a crush on ole Snape," said the other.

Severus was all too familiar with their dubious tones. No doubt the twins intended to take the mickey out of the love-struck Auror. As long as the little demons didn't involve Severus they wouldn't have to live in fear of the Potion's Master condemning them to eternal damnat…erm…detention with Filch for the remainder of their school careers.

"Fred…George…leave Tonks alone or I'll drop your pants and tan your hides this very instant," threatened Molly.

Good for her, Severus thought. He was all too aware that if the twin's behaviour was not addressed now, they would become relentless. The boys knew that their mother was serious, thus, they immediately backed off; they were bound to find another outlet in which to raise havoc. Severus didn't care as long as their antics did not draw attention to himself or Harry.

"Se…'Remus' I know you mentioned about taking Harry to Madam Malkin's," said Molly as she rummaged through her handbag. "I need to make a withdrawal from Gringott's. Do you wish to meet at Flourish and Blott's in three hours?" She nodded to herself when she was certain her vault key was secure.

"That's fine, Molly," 'Remus' said as he tried to remember to make his language more casual. "We'll meet you at three-thirty."

"Do you want that I should tag along, Professor?" Bill offered. He knew better than to offer Ms Tonks' services. If her behaviour in front of 'Remus' was any indication, she wouldn't notice a Death Eater today unless one tapped her on the shoulder and asked her to dance. Severus wondered if Lupin had any clue as to the younger witch's infatuation. Frankly, Severus found it a bit disturbing. The witch was one of his students just a few years ago, for Merlin's sake. She only left Hogwarts the year before Harry arrived.

Severus appreciated Mr Weasley's offer but wanted nothing to do with any tag-a-longs. He would much rather spend this time alone with his son. Unfortunately, the additional security was a necessary precaution. It was the entire reason for bringing Mr Weasley and Ms Tonks along in the first place. "It won't be necessary to accompany us, Bill," 'Remus' said maintaining Lupin's familiarity. "But it would be wise to keep Harry in sight."

With that said, Bill Weasley disappeared into the crowd. Severus was impressed. It was amazing, really...Despite his height and his flaming red hair, the young man managed to disappear amongst the mass of humanity.

With plans made, the group broke up and the two families went their separate ways. Mr Weasley and Ms Granger were craning their necks back and waving goodbye to Harry as they followed the rest of the clan to Gringott's.

'Remus' and Harry began to stroll leisurely down the bustling alley. Normally Severus would have taken a much brisker and determined pace. But Harry was right; he would need to 'lighten up' if others were going to believe he was Remus Lupin.


"Is there something wrong, Harry?" 'Remus' asked as Harry watched his friends disappear amongst the shopping crowd.

"No…well yes, S…'Remus,'" Harry corrected quickly despite his current state of confusion. "Don't I need to go to the bank as well? I don't have any money on me."

It was a little disconcerting to Harry to see Remus' eyes look down at him with such irritation. He didn't look mean by any means. In fact, the same look on Severus Snape's face might have been considered tolerant…if not out-right indulgent. But on Remus the look was just off.

"I have already made arrangements for credit to be extended to your account," 'Remus explained as he hurried through the crowd and Harry struggled to keep up. "I've transferred enough Galleons from my account to yours to cover any expenses you may incur."

"You transferred money into my account?" asked Harry dumbfounded. "Why would you do that? I have plenty of my own money, you know."

"Yes…and you should save that money until you come of age," 'Remus' said tetchily. "Until then, I'm more than capable of seeing to your material needs."

Harry was taken so far aback, he stopped in his place. It wasn't so much as 'Remus'' uncharacteristically penetrating tone as it was his words. It never occurred to Harry that his friend's parents always bought them their things. Harry couldn't recall a single instance when Uncle Vernon or Aunt Petunia bought him something new. Hell…Harry couldn't remember them ever buying him anything from a jumble sale.

The fact that for the first time ever, his father was going to buy his things was somewhat overwhelming for Harry. It was almost enough to make him feel dizzy. But his butterflies left soon enough…replaced by an unfamiliar warm sensation in his chest. It almost felt like being…wanted.

Harry stopped his musings abruptly. He was still confused. "But why transfer money into my account? Why can't you just pay directly from your account?"

Oh…Harry almost wished he could take his words back. Behind Remus' normally soft brown eyes, was the workings of Severus Snape's mind and Harry couldn't help the cold chill that ran down his spine. Harry could almost see his father's internal debate. Bite back with one of his infamous scathing retorts, or give his son a civilised answer?

'Remus' bent over to whisper in Harry's ear. Harry tensed up, despite himself and then relaxed. It was only a slight inflection, but Harry definitely recognised the note of good-humour in his father's voice. "Don't you think that it might raise suspicions if Remus Lupin were to purchase Harry Potter's effects whilst crediting said purchases to Severus Snape's account?" He paused a moment and raised an eyebrow, giving Harry some time to mull his answer over.

'Remus' continued on and Harry had to run to catch up. "But why use credit at all?" Apparently his father's explanation hadn't sunken in. "Why can't you just let me pay with Galleons?"

'Remus' let out an exasperated sigh and rolled his eyes as he held open the door that led into Madam Malkin's shop. "Because, Harry, that many Galleons would be extraordinarily cumbersome to lug about."

Harry walked into the shop, looking slightly dazed. "Exactly how many Galleons are we talking about here?"

A wry smirk was the only answer Harry received to that question.

Apparently Severus had transferred quite a few Galleons into Harry's account. By the time Harry left the shop with 'Remus', his father had managed to order not only five new school uniforms, but also two new sets of dress robes, a various array of dress shirts, casual shirts, jumpers, trousers, jeans, pyjamas, a dressing gown, shoes, slippers, socks, and an altogether embarrassing number of Y-fronts.

Harry thought it was easy for Severus to stay in character in Madam Malkin's shop. He was having too much fun watching Harry squirm and protest at every measurement and fitting.

Madam Makin seemed thrilled. No doubt she managed to make her profit for the day in one sitting. 'Remus' then ordered that everything be sent to Hogwarts.

What really chapped Harry's arse, was that Severus wouldn't let Harry see the charge. "It's my account, for Merlin's sake," he tried to reason with his father.

"And yet you managed not to spend a single Knut," said 'Remus' in mock amazement.


Nobody had told Severus that shopping with a teenaged boy was as physically exhausting as a marathon Quidditch match. As amusing as it was to watch Harry squirm under Madam Makin's ministrations, after the tailors and a trip to Quality Quidditch Supplies to obtain Harry's new Quidditch kit, Severus was nearly spent. Despite the potion, perhaps he should have waited one more day before scurrying about Diagon Alley with a teenaged boy suffering from an acute case of cabin-fever.

Despite already having lunch at Headquarters, the boy was hungry again as 3:00 set in. Severus wondered if Harry's sudden appetite had anything to do with the changes his body was going through because of Lily's spell. But then again…it could be ordinary, everyday, run-amuck teenaged metabolism. Severus wasn't sure if he should worry, or just down a Calming Draught and let the chaos of adolescence ensue. How Arthur and Molly Weasley could do this with four teenagers at home was more than Severus could fathom.

Too bad he couldn't think of any other parents with Prophecy marked children. Then someone could tell Severus if he should truly be worried; or if he was just channelling his mother.

Severus was actually preparing himself for a full-blown row when he told Harry they would be leaving for the estate a day early. Astonishingly, Harry said he was more than willing to give the Weasley girl her gift a day early and kiss Grimmauld Place goodbye.

Not that Severus could blame the boy. Severus was accustomed to Black's venom. Severus had hard callouses and he was pretty much impervious to whatever Black could throw at him.

But Harry…as strong and brave as Harry was, the boy still had soft spots and was vulnerable to Black's toxic vitriol; just as he had been vulnerable to Severus' in the past. Granted, Black's poison wasn't aimed at Harry, but Harry took deeper offence to the trespasses done to those he cared about than trespasses done to himself. If Black wasn't careful, he would dig himself into a hole he would find difficult to extract himself from.

For Severus' part…he didn't care a rat's arse over Black's feelings if Harry rejected him. Hell…it would make Severus a very happy man not to have to contend with Black any longer. But Harry…Harry would suffer in silence and it could end up jeopardising the tenuous rapport Severus and Harry were beginning to build together, thus bringing even more pain to Harry.

No…Severus had caused enough pain in Harry's life. If it meant playing nice with Black, then Severus would play nice for Harry's sake. But Severus' good intentions would be for naught if Black wouldn't get his head out of his arse.

They were sitting outside of a café. Harry was just finishing off his fish and chips and Severus was blowing on his cup of tea when his eyes caught something. There was no mistaking the silvery-blond locks that stuck out like a beacon amongst the school-shopping horde on the street.

Lucius Malfoy.

Severus threw down some Galleons on the table to pay for Harry's lunch and his tea.

"Come, Harry," Severus said abruptly. His eyes kept scanning the crowds for another face, but kept darting back so he wouldn't lose track of Lucius.

"Severus…what is it?" Severus heard Harry ask anxiously as he continued to search the crowds.

Severus did not answer his son.

Then he spotted who he was looking for. Young Bill Weasley made his way across the crowd waving his hand in the air to attract the attention of 'Remus'.

"Harry, came with me," Severus ordered sternly.

"Well…where else am I supposed to go?"

Severus did not have time to address his son's cheek. This might his only chance to make contact with Malfoy before it was too late.

"Bill!" shouted 'Remus' from across the throng. Severus was impressed that he managed to stay in character enough to call Mr Weasley by his given name. Crossing Diagon Alley was like trying to cross a cattle market.

"Professor," Mr Weasley said breathlessly as he finally made his way to 'Remus' and Harry. "I just saw…."

Severus cut him off mid-sentence.

"I know who you just saw," 'Remus' said urgently. "Take Harry and find the others…if I do not return by four-thirty, take him back to his godfather and send a Patronus to Albus. Tell him who I am with."

Severus then turned to Harry, raised and pointed his finger almost directly to Harry's nose for emphasis. "Stay with the Weasley's. You and your friends are not to wander off…. Do not worry. I'm only going to speak to Lucius."

"But…"

"No 'buts' Harry…just do it!" Severus spouted impatiently. Severus felt a pang of guilt for barking at his son, but there was no time to address Harry's look of dejection now.

As Severus hurriedly pushed his way through the swarm of shoppers, he heard Mr Weasley say, "Come on Harry…let's go find the others."


From where he stood, Severus could see the top of Lucius' head slip into Slugg and Jiggers.

'Remus' ducked into Quality Quidditch Supplies two doors down, and then slipped into a dressing room when no one was looking. From an inside pocket he took his phial of Polyjuice antidote and took a quick swallow.

Great Circe!

No matter how many times he had taken Polyjuice potion, Severus could never get used to the sensation. It felt as though he had mice crawling inside his skin.

After his transformation, Severus quickly transfigured Remus' shabby robes to his own familiar black. Unfortunately, he had not thought to bring a change of clothing. It was never a very good idea to wear transfigured clothing. The spells were unreliable and there was always a chance one's robes would transfigure back at the most inopportune moment. Severus kicked himself for not bringing a set of his own. Hopefully, the exchange would be a quick one.

Severus stepped out of the dressing room and slipped unnoticed out the front of the store. He casually strolled two doors down keeping a sharp eye out in case Lucius might have slipped out of the shop. He then stopped and peered inside the apothecary window.

Severus noticed that Lucius was carrying a plain black bag. Severus recognised it from the apothecary in Knockturn Alley. Let's just say that they sold ingredients of dubious legality... none of them standard ingredients for Hogwarts students.

Severus entered the store and the bell above the door rang. Two of the younger clerks were helping students pick out ingredients for their school potion kits and Elmer Slugghorn, the brother of Hogwarts' last Potion's Master, was at a small counter in the corner where he personally took care of his more…discerning customers.

When the bell rang, old Elmer looked up and smiled broadly. No doubt, in anticipation of Severus' Galleons. "Severus…how good to see you again so soon."

Lucius turned quickly and his normally superior countenance fell, replaced by ill-concealed fear. It was the same look he had on his face when the Dark Lord discovered his treachery the night before.

"Elmer…Lucius, do continue with your business," said Severus graciously as he gave a slight bow of his head.

"Severus," Lucius returned the greeting after regaining his composure.

Severus feigned interest in a jar of dried black beetle wings as he kept Lucius in his peripheral vision. He was eyeing the purchases that Lucius was acquiring, whilst simultaneously picking up some of the ingredients Harry would need for the new term.

Lucius' purchases seemed innocuous enough. Monkshood...dried mistletoe berries... valerian root. Though deadly in their own right, they were used in many common potions. But the black bag…Severus knew of only one potion in which all of these ingredients were used at once. If Lucius had in his black bag what Severus suspected…he had to be stopped.

Lucius finished his transaction and tried to make a point to slip by Severus.

"A word with you, Lucius," Severus said silkily as he touched the sleeve of Lucius' well-tailored smoke-grey robe.

There was a quick flash of fear in Lucius' grey eyes once again before they became impassive. The casual observer would not have noticed, but to Severus, Malfoy might as well have been announcing his fear with a Sonorus.

"I don't have the time at the moment, Severus," Lucius said all too quickly and in a tone that still conveyed his fear. Lucius Malfoy was palpably afraid of Severus.

Severus simply gave a slight upward turn of his lip and guided Lucius back to the counter whilst Severus made his own purchases.

Lucius eyed him suspiciously, but said nothing.

When Severus was done, he turned from the counter and said silkily in his dark voice, "Walk with me."

It was obvious that Lucius did not want to go anywhere with Severus. It was no wonder the Dark Lord had honed in on him. Even Severus could see flashes of Malfoy's memories and pick up the stray thought, and he wasn't even trying. It was obvious that Lucius was in a highly emotional state…one that was setting him into a near-panic.

Lucius had always commented how Severus had been one of the Dark Lord's favourite minions. And it was Severus who would be the obvious choice to brew the Potion. The callousness it would take to brew the elixir was beyond even what Lucius was capable of. Lucius had a solid reason to fear Severus above all others with the exception of the Dark Lord himself.

This could be harder than Severus originally anticipated.

The two wizards leaving the apothecary made an impressive sight. One as fair as the other was dark.

Severus noticed Lucius was still limping from the after effects of the previous night's meeting. Severus reached into his robes and produced his second bottle of the specialised pain draught. He hated to do it. It was expensive and difficult to brew. But he needed to gain the wizard's trust.

"Take this," Severus offered Lucius as they continued to casually stroll down the crowded alley. "It will counteract the effects of the curse."

Lucius haughtily pushed Severus' hand out of his way. "I'd rather not…thank you."

"I assure you it is not poisoned," Severus uncorked the phial and showed Lucius that it was full. He then took a sip to show his sincerity. He offered the phial back to Lucius.

Lucius stopped. He took the phial and eyed it suspiciously. Upon noticing that some of the potion was indeed gone, he hesitantly brought the bottle to his lips and looked around. There were far too many witnesses for Severus to poison him in public. Once again Lucius looked at the phial. He gathered his courage and downed the contents.

From the relieved look on Lucius face, Severus immediately noticed that his pain was gone. As Lucius still had all his mental faculties and he certainly was not dead, he handed Severus back the phial. "Thank you," said Lucius curtly, "Now do you mind telling me what this is about?"

"I fail to see why you were so concerned with being poisoned, Lucius."

Lucius stopped abruptly. He was staring straight ahead so to avoid Severus' gaze.

"It won't work you know." Severus told him warningly.

"I have no idea what you mean," Lucius said in feigned innocence as he began to walk off.

Severus grabbed him forcibly by the arm. Lucius sneered at Severus with obvious loathing. "Get your hands off me you filthy half-blood," he growled under his breath.

"I think not," said Severus with the same venom. He pulled Malfoy along with him and stopped when he found an empty store front. Severus forced Malfoy into the store's recessed outer vestibule and cast both a Muffliato and a Disillusionment Charm.

Malfoy's normally icy exterior had crumbled for good. Severus knew from the look on Lucius' face, that the wizard was scared beyond reason and that Severus had his full attention.

"I know what potion you intend to brew, Lucius," Severus said in disgust.

It was a very dark and very ancient potion. One Severus had considered brewing himself almost fifteen years ago. Not many were even aware of its existence.

"He will kill them all the same," Severus said coldly.

"How do you…?"

"I saw your purchases in Slugg and Jigger's. If your little black bag from Blackwell and Krook's contains concentrated mamba venom, then you have all you need for a Sui Caedere Potion."

The Suicide Potion. Although every ingredient was deadly in its own right, taking the Suicide Potion was once considered an honourable way to die for Wizards who had dishonoured their families or clans, just as Seppuku was once for the Muggle Samurai.

"No…Severus…You do not understand. He will make me…" Malfoy said in a clear whispered panic. He was pleading for mercy from Severus, certain he would deliver him to the Dark Lord. Never had Severus believed that Lucius could lose his famous steeled composure in such a grand manner. But he couldn't allow Malfoy's near hysterics effect him. There was too much at stake.

"Yes Lucius…I do understand. And if you do this, Narcissa and Draco will still die!" Snape said without pity.

"Then they will go into hiding…I'll tell Narcissa not to tell me whe…"

"You intend to condemn your family to a life of exile? Even if the Dark Lord spared your life, you would never see them again, and he would still find them."

"What other choice do I have? I will not stand idly by and allow him to force me into killing my family!" Lucius cried hoarsely.

"What if I told you that there was another way?"

"How?" Lucius eyes sparked with a glimmer of hope, but it quickly dimmed. "No…I don't believe you."

"Lucius…do you honestly think that the Dark Lord cursed all of his followers last night… because of your treachery? A little full of yourself, aren't you?"

Lucius was bringing his emotions back under control, but it was still clear he did not trust Severus when he said, "I don't understand."

Severus took a deep breath. Once he said this…there was no turning back. He kept a firm grip on his wand, in case his instincts about Lucius were dead wrong.

"There was more than one traitor last night," Severus explained. "The Dark Lord could not find him…so all were made to suffer."

"That's impossible," Lucius scoffed. "The Dark Lord is the most powerful Legilimens ever known. How could he not have found this supposed traitor?"

"Because, I did not wish him to find me," Severus said darkly, purposely adding an air of superiority to his tone.

"You?" spat Lucius unbelievingly. "You are too close to the Dark Lord. How can you keep something like this…," Realisation dawned on Lucius face. "You are an Occlumens?" Lucius half asked.

"It would seem that the Kneazle is out of the bag," Severus said dryly.

"But even so…certainly the Dark Lord would have sussed you out long before now. No one is that powerful in the Mind Arts."

Severus did not answer…only raised his eyebrow.

Lucius swallowed audibly and his voice cracked when he asked, "How…how long?"

"I've been Dumbledore's man since the beginning," Severus said idly.

Lucius looked scandalised. "A spy? All of this time? But you were only seventeen when you took the Mar…"

Realisation of what Severus was saying finally took hold and Lucius' face went from doubt to hope, and then back to fear again in the course of a breath.

This time it was Lucius who grabbed Severus by the arm. "What do you intend to do? You cannot possibly brew that potion!"

"Of course I'm not going to brew the bloody potion!" Severus spat as he shrugged off Lucius' hand, outraged that anyone would even suggest such a thing. Severus quickly brushed an errant strand of hair from his face.

"Which still begs the questions, what do you intend to do, and how can you possibly help my family?" Lucius asked as he dropped his hand. "You have nothing to gain from protecting my family and you know you will be targeted for assassination once the Dark Lord finds out about your perfidy."

"Hmm…Yes. Too bad turning me in will do nothing to save Draco," Severus said callously. "I am hardly worried as I will continue to be under the protection of Albus Dumbledore."

Lucius gave a sceptical snort, "That old coot."

"That 'old coot' has over a century of experience and wisdom," said Severus in defence of Albus. Severus might insult the Headmaster with impunity, but he wasn't about to let anyone else get away with it. "You know as well as I, he is the one wizard the Dark Lord fears. Do not underestimate the 'Old Coot's' power."

In his shock at such a declaration, Lucius could only blink dumbly at Severus. Not even in private circles was the Dark Lord ever called a coward in front of other Death Eaters. Not if one expected to live. It was a sign that Severus was sure of his hand...and his fate.

"He still cannot protect you from the Dark Lord's influence over The Mark," said Lucius sceptically.

"I don't need Dumbledore's protection from The Mark."

"You don't?"

"No, I do not. And therein lies your hope."


Harry put the last of his books on the counter for purchase. He kept glancing at the store front window for any sign of 'Remus'. Everybody else was scattered about the store, picking out their own selections, seemingly unconcerned.

"He's fine, Harry," said Hermione breathily as she plopped her books on the counter with a loud 'Thunk'. She expelled a huge breath after she unburdened herself from her load. "You'll see."

Harry was a little nervous. The last time Harry had seen Lucius Malfoy was at the graveyard the night Cedric died. Seeing the elder Malfoy was stirring up an entire host of memories that Harry had only just begun to deal with.

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep measured breath. He was focusing on his shields, trying to find serenity in the gentle rolling of his falls. He slowly exhaled and opened his eyes as he felt himself begin to relax once again.

"Oh, there he is!" said Mrs Weasley with a sigh of relief as children began piling their books on the counter before her.

"Who's first?" inquired the sales clerk.

"You go first, Hermione," Harry offered. If his father was really back, Harry had a tonne of questions to ask.

Harry turned to look at the entrance door, and sure enough…in strolled 'Remus'. Harry was a little shocked and put-out. It would seem that 'Remus'' little talk with Lucius Malfoy had concluded some time ago. It was obvious to Harry that his father had been on a shopping spree of his own. Harry thought Severus wanted to shop together.

Harry was not surprised that 'Remus' was carrying a bag from the Apothecary's, but he had apparently been to Eeylops and back to the Quidditch supply shop as well.

Before Harry could question his father, 'Remus' handed Harry the smaller package from the owl emporium.

"What's this for?" Harry asked as he opened the brown paper bag, practically putting his head inside to see what was in it.

"Unless you harbour a peculiar fancy for owl treats, I would assume that they were for Hedwig," said 'Remus'.

"Oh…Thanks," Harry said, a little taken aback by his father's thoughtful gesture...and his joke. Perhaps some of Remus' casual nature rubbed off a bit on his father during the Polyjuice transformation. "Who's that for?" Harry asked, pointing at the bag from Quality Quidditch Supplies and eyeing it hopefully.

"You're not the world's only Quidditch player, Harry," 'Remus' said with a hint mystery and mischief in Severus' voice.

'Remus' put down his bags and retrieved the real Lupin's request list and letter of credit from his inside robe pocket. "Do you have everything you need?" he asked Harry.

"Uh, yeah, I think so," Harry said distractedly as he tried to make out the shape of whatever was in the Quidditch bag. He was just dying to know.

The witch that specifically handled orders from the Hogwarts' Professors came to the counter and greeted 'Remus'.

Ron came up behind Harry and asked excitedly, "What's in the bag, Harry."

Harry whispered, "I don't know. He won't tell me."

"…Yes…just have them delivered to the school," said 'Remus' as he quickly and efficiently finished his transaction.

'Remus' leaned over and picked up his bags. As he turned, he passed Harry he patted him on the shoulder and said cheekily, "Don't hurt yourself thinking about it, Harry," then walked away.

Harry and Ron watched stunned as 'Remus' walked out the door to wait for the others outside.

"Are you ready Mr Potter?"

"Oh!" exclaimed Harry caught off guard by the clerk's question. He hadn't realised that it was his turn already. Harry pushed his books towards the clerk, then handed him his notice of credit.


Harry said his goodbyes to his friends at the Leaky Cauldron. Sirius had already made his stoic goodbyes to Harry, and Harry refused to let himself get upset over it.

Harry wasn't about to beg Sirius to be accepting of Severus. He shouldn't have to.

He feigned being put out that he would be missing Ginny's party. But he left his gift with Mrs Weasley and told his friends that Severus promised that they could not only come over for a day, but for a sleepover sometime in the next week. Hopefully that would make up his absence to his friends.

The first stop for Harry and Severus was Hogwarts. The Headmaster had taken the school out of lockdown and Professor McGonagall was now in residence.

Severus had sent most of Harry's purchases to Hogwarts. He said the wards around Grimmauld Place and the cottage would not allow for delivery, and Harry's things could not be sent directly to Prince Manor as it would raise too much suspicion.

Harry's stomach turned whenever his father spoke of the manor. As excited as he was, he wasn't sure if he would like it. He was looking forward to the cottage, but Severus said it would be too small to accommodate all his friends.

Harry asked if the manor was as safe as the cottage, and Severus said it would be safe enough for a couple of days. Though he had been known to live there, Severus had not been in residence for many years and no one had reason to think he would return. The wards were strong and with Severus and Albus adding additional wards, they would have no fear of uninvited guests.

As grand as a place named Prince Manor sounded, Harry couldn't picture it and Severus didn't say much about it. Severus did not seem the 'Lord of the Manor' type, like Lucius Malfoy...his father was more like the mad scientist type.

Harry could only picture dilapidated stone castles out of Poe stories or Shelley novels. He knew he didn't want to stay alone in such a place the rest of the summer, even if it was only two weeks until the beginning of term. But he supposed a couple days with his friends would be alright.

When they arrived at Hogwarts Harry was to pack only what clothes he needed and the rest would be stored in his bedchamber in Severus' private quarters.

Once Harry and 'Remus' were alone in the back room at the Leaky Cauldron, 'Remus' once again took the Polyjuice antidote. After the bizarre transformation Harry asked, "You're not going back looking like that are you?"

"Of course not," Severus looked down at the shabby and now too short robes. With a flick of his wand, Severus transfigured Remus' slightly frayed robes to resemble his severe black robes. "I will change again once we reach the cottage," he said.

At first, Harry wondered why his father would need to change again. Then he remembered that transfiguring clothing could be a dodgy business.

Harry stepped into the Floo with his father, as the Floo at Hogwarts could accommodate more than one person, unlike the Floo at Grimmauld Place.

Severus called out, "Albus Dumbledore's office…Hogwarts' School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

This time Harry had managed not to stumble face first out of the Floo, which was a good thing considering the mountain of books he was carrying. But that was probably due to the fact that Severus had firmly held Harry by the shoulder the entire time.

But Harry managed to drop his books anyway at the terrifying sight behind the Headmaster's desk.

"SEVERUS SNAPE! … Do you mind telling me the meaning of this?" Professor McGonagall snapped in her Scottish brogue.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Oh my goodness. I didn't think I'd ever get it done.

Admittedly, I've spent most of my time on the chat rooms, trying to help folks sign up for Pottermore this week. KimSpiritTalk, PandoraSilk and myself started a Yahoo group for new members and intended members to get to know each other before the site opens. It's a fun group and the link is on my profile page…so come join us.

This also means I was terribly lax in getting to respond to your awesome reviews, which I will get to as many as I can tomorrow. Thank you…all of you.

~Missyann

Oh…forgive any typos for now. I'm so tired, I think my eyes are beginning to bleed.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2564