Along Came a Family by missyanne
Summary: Severitus-beginning between years four and five. Harry is overcome with guilt over the death of Cedric Diggory and has isolated himsef from those who care. A strange gift arrives on his fifteenth birthday that changes everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 179510 Read: 210530 Published: 06 Jun 2011 Updated: 29 Oct 2020
The Cottage by missyanne
 

"SEVERUS SNAPE! … Do you mind telling me the meaning of this?"


Damn!

Severus knew Minerva was in the castle today. He simply didn't realise she would be occupying the Headmaster's office.

Speaking of which…scattered throughout were Harry's packages...a small mountain of them.

Severus stepped gracefully out of the Floo, attempting to appear unaffected by Minerva's temper-tantrum. "Well they couldn't very well be delivered to Headquarters now, could they? Besides, the boy is in need of a new wardrobe."

"New wardrobe? There's enough here for Mr Potter to open his own clothier!" Minerva said in exasperation. "Do you realise how many owls I had to pay? I had to pay from the school funds. I certainly do not keep that many Galleons in my hat!"

Severus mused aloud as he set down his own bags. "Curious? I was led to believe that postage was included with such a large purchase."

Severus airily waved off Minerva's concern as he sat down in his usual chair in front of Albus' desk. "It is of no great consequence, Minerva. Simply deduct it from my pay."

"I intend to do just that," she assured him tersely.

Severus' attention shifted from Minerva when he noticed Harry on his hands and knees by the Floo, awkwardly trying to pick up his books. "Harry, why are you crawling on the floor like an animal?" Severus barked. "I was under the impression that you at least knew the rudiments of wand-work."

Severus sharply inhaled and ground his teeth. He admonished himself for his quick temper. Harry flushed as he stood up and pulled his wand from his back pocket. But at least that problem was taken care of with Harry's new wardrobe. There were proper wand-pockets in the robes and trousers.

"Yeah…thanks!" Harry said sheepishly as he cast his charm, and his books stacked themselves neatly on an end table.

Minerva cast an admonishing eye at Harry, but she directed her ire towards Severus. "Don't you think that Mr Potter has been in enough trouble with the Ministry, Severus, without you encouraging him to use unauthorised magic?"

"He is on Hogwarts' grounds and in the presence of his legal guardian. Why the concern?" said Severus smoothly. "Who's to know unless you say something?"

"Well, I suppose what the Ministry doesn't know, can't hurt Harry," Minerva reluctantly agreed, "Now what to do about all of this?" She said, indicating to Harry's scattered effects.

"Harry will pack what he needs in that trunk," Severus said as he pointed to a new oak trunk with brass fittings. "And the rest, the house-elves can take to his room in my quarters until term begins."

"Oh Severus, you may wish to return that trunk," Minerva said pointedly.

"And why is that?" Severus asked. Harry had looked up curiously from where he was already picking out his clothes.

"Because, they made a mistake with the monogram. It reads 'HS'."


That's it!

As Severus watched Minerva's continued descent into madness, he thought he might as well go ahead and post Harry's revised birth announcement in The Daily Prophet. The Kneazle was defiantly out of the bag and there was no shoving it back in without emerging bloody and flayed from the effort.

It had been Severus' intention that only an inclusive group of people were to be aware of Harry's true parentage for the time being. Now the whole damn Wizarding world was coming to know it one by one.

Yes…Severus had given Harry permission to tell Ronald Weasley and Ms Granger. Harry needed his friends, and he did not need the animosity that may have developed had he not told them straight off. Especially Mr Weasley, that boy could hold onto a grudge tighter than a Grindylow to a Hippocampus…and almost as tightly as Severus.

But Harry's two friends had proven countless times that they could keep a secret. Severus had no fear that they would reveal anything.

Of course Harry's god-dog had to know…pity that.

Ironically, it had been Albus and Harry who had blown the gaff off of the whole damn thing.

Albus had taken it upon himself to tell Lupin. Severus certainly did not agree with letting the Wolf be privy to his personal information. Oh…Severus supposed that the mutt would eventually tell his pack mate, but that would have given Severus a good excuse to curse the seven shades of shite out of cur.

And of course, all of the Weasley's now knew. Severus wasn't entirely certain who let that one slip. Harry had almost called Severus 'Dad' in the presence of nearly everyone at Grimmauld Place. Then again, Severus left no room for doubt in his fight with Black. But Severus reasoned that the Weasley's had been Harry's surrogate family after all, and had taken care of Harry when others would not or could not. They had the right to know.

But now…now Severus couldn't find fault with anybody if he wanted to. What was he thinking when he had 'HS' monogrammed on Harry's trunk?

Severus had no intention of revealing his relationship with Harry to everyone…Yet. But he absolutely refused to think of Harry as a 'Potter' anymore. Harry was his son and his legacy. As far as Severus was concerned, Harry was going to become a Snape as soon as circumstances allowed. As much as anything, the monogram was a testament to Severus' hopeful anticipation and his commitment to Harry.

After all, nobody but Harry and Severus were supposed to actually see the trunk. Severus had merely bought it for Harry to pack his things for the cottage.

But still, Severus' sentimentality had triggered another slip. Well… Harry had made the slip, but it wouldn't have happened had Severus not given into his own sensibilities.


Harry eyed his father curiously. He knew what the initials meant. Was Severus planning to change his name? Harry was under the impression that it was to be kept secret. When was his father going to tell him?

"And when is this going to happen?" Harry pointed accusingly at his trunk. Was he returning to school as 'Harry Snape'? To be honest, it had never occurred to Harry about changing his name, but now that he thought about it, he supposed the topic would come up…eventually. But he was accustomed to his own name. He wasn't averse to talking about it with his father, but it would be nice to be asked first.

Had Severus changed his mind about keeping it all a secret?

The Deputy Headmistress slowly made her way from around her desk, as if she were preparing for a fight. "When is what going to happen, Mr Potter?" She asked suspiciously as she half-rested herself on the corner of her desk.

"When am I going to exchange the trunk," Severus said in an easy lie. He looked to Harry with only the slightest raised brow. Harry knew it was his cue to go along with the quickly contrived story.

Unfortunately, Harry's Head of House noticed the exchange. "Do not intimidate one of my students, Severus," she warned.

Obviously, she hadn't been fooled in the least. Even Harry could tell that Professor McGonagall was in some type of protective mode. Harry couldn't understand why. It wasn't as if he were in any danger. "Now Mr Potter, answer my question. When is what going to happen?" she asked again in a tone that bartered no protest.

"Uh…what Professor Snape said," Harry spat out a little too rushed. "When is he going to exchange my trunk?"

"Mr Potter? Is there something that you wish to tell me?" McGonagall asked, sniffing out the lie.

What on earth could she be thinking?

Severus' eyes narrowed and he practically glared at Professor McGonagall as if he were trying to will her to stop her questioning. Apparently he was not happy with the direction of the conversation.

"Nothing that I can think of, Professor," said Harry. He regretted his outburst. She needed to stop asking these questions.

Harry took a step back as his professor moved a little too close into his personal space. She practically hovered over him, effectively using her body to come between himself and his father. "Do not be afraid to tell me the truth, Harry," she said concern. "I assure you, I will not allow Professor Snape to hurt you."

"HURT HIM!"
"HURT ME!" Severus and Harry both screamed out in mutual outrage.

McGonagall jumped at the sudden outburst. "Well what am I supposed to think? ... The gifts … your threatening look at the boy…And since when have you ever addressed a student by their given name Severus? It all reeks of impropriety."

When his father took a threatening step towards McGonagall, Harry quickly stepped around between the two. He sighed in relief when Severus only pointed an accusing finger. "Impropriety? Now see here, you perverse minded tabby cat! How dare yo..."

Harry had enough. Now he didn't like where this conversation was going. What was it with people and their dirty minds always jumping to the wrong conclusion? "DAD…JUST TELL HER!"


Severus' rage melted away, but the annoyance he felt towards his son at that moment was just as palpable. "I believe you just did, Harry," he said as calmly as he could.

There was nothing more that Severus wanted than to earn the title of that moniker. But not this way.

"Dad?" Minerva asked in confusion. "What is Mr Potter talking about, Severus? I know that it takes a certain closeness to teach and learn Occlumency. But to have the boy call you…"

"And yet you automatically assume the unthinkable when I provide for Harry's wardrobe or address him by his given name?"

"And yet you still refuse to give me an explanation or to tell me why Mr Potter just called you 'Dad'." Minerva shot back. "It is an abomination to James' and Lily's sacrifice!"

Severus raised his finger and his mouth was agape, ready to launch a tirade of insults, when Harry interrupted.

"Professor, don't you think the most probable reason I just called him 'Dad' is because he is my father?" Harry said in exasperation. "What? …Don't look at me like that Da…Severus…She needs to know anyway. She is my Head of House," Harry added defensively.

That had deflated the air out of Severus. Just as quickly as it had started…it had ended. Harry had already reverted back to calling him 'Severus'. Apparently the title had been because of an emotional slip.

But Harry was right. Minerva should know. All of the Heads of House had to know their student's parents or guardians. If the situation was reversed, Severus would insist upon knowing as well and would have been livid if such vital information about one of his Snakes were purposely held back from him.

The colour had completely drained from Minerva's face. The edge was gone from her voice when she asked, "Severus? Is Mr Potter telling the truth? Are you his father?"

Oh…this was just ducky!

Now Severus was going to have to play true confessions. He gathered up all of his notable dignity and confessed as if Minerva where his priest. "Yes… I am."

Minerva's expression was vacant. Severus could almost see her mind at work as she tried to process this new information.

Minerva looked to Harry and then back to Severus, perhaps trying to suss out any physical similarities…or to determine if Harry and Severus were just pulling her tail.

Minerva's sharp eyes then scanned the room. Severus supposed that to anyone not privy to Harry's situation, the abundance of new clothes and books would seem to be an overindulgence.

Then the cat-like gaze locked on the inscription on Harry's trunk.

The stern Deputy Headmistress' focused again upon Harry and Severus then her eyes slowly widened with realisation.

Suddenly, Minerva's hand shot over her mouth and her eye's brightened with newly escaping tears. An unearthly cry that Severus never fathomed the dour witch could make, escaped from her ill-hidden smile. "Ohhh!"

Before Severus could defend himself, Minerva crossed the space between them faster than Severus thought a witch of her age was rightfully capable of. "I'm so happy for you both!"

Severus attempted to back away, but he was too late. She managed to capture him and held in a tight embrace. Severus attempted to call for help from Harry, but he was rendered speechless. Certainly he would die from asphyxia if he wasn't rescued soon.

Severus remained frozen… partly in terror and partly because he simply could not move from Minerva's iron-clad hug. Apparently the old witch was rabid! What in the name of Merlin had overcome her? Fortunately for Severus, the old cat eyed another victim.

Minerva released Severus and went straight for Harry. It seemed Harry hadn't learned from his father's near-fatal mistake.

"Oh, Harry," Minerva cried with unabashed tears as she rushed over to Harry with her arms wide open and enfolded him in her indissoluble grasp.

Now it was Harry's turn to be at a loss. He hesitantly embraced his normally austere Head of House.

Not quite sure as to what to do or say, Harry gave his irrational Head of House a timid pat on the back and hoarsely replied, "Thank you?... I guess?"


Severus composed his dignity as his barmy colleague smothered his son. It was time to rescue Harry and get him to the cottage before anymore chaos ensued.

"Minerva, you're smothering Harry," Severus said. She really wasn't, at least not to the point she had accosted him, but his distraction had the desired effect.

Minerva released Harry and began to straighten the boy's collar and hair. "Oh…I do apologise Mr Potter," she said, gathering what was left of her decorum.

Severus had no clue as to why Minerva would be happy to see Harry saddled with him, of all people. But if the stern and powerful witch was giving her unequivocal approval, Severus was going to take it and run.

"Severus?" she turned to face him now that her dignity was again intact. "Is Mr Potter going to remain 'Mr Potter'?"

The monogram had come back into question.

"Yeah…that's a good question, Severus," Harry said with a slight bit of irritation and crossing his arms in a very Snape-ish manner. "Is Mr Potter going to remain 'Mr Potter'?"

Well this was certainly awkward. Severus had not thought about what Harry might say about it.

"If you wish, we can discuss the matter later, but now is neither the time nor place," Severus said evenly. "For now it remains prudent that you stay a 'Potter'." As much as it irked Severus, that was the way things had to be.

"Fair enough," Harry said with a quick nod, acknowledging that the subject was closed for now.

"Now, back to the matter at hand," Severus said, changing the subject with an inner sigh of relief. "You need to pack."

Harry ran along behind Severus with his new trunk in tow. They were heading down beyond the gates of the school to Apparate to the cottage.

"Why can't we just Floo?" asked Harry breathily. He was getting tired of lugging the trunk around.

His father turned to answer. The irritated look on his face quickly softened when he noticed Harry was struggling with his trunk on the bumpy terrain. Severus produced his wand from his sleeve and cast a Locomotor spell so the trunk would follow on its own.

Severus continued with long strides back down the hill that led to the gates. "We can't travel by Floo because the cottage is warded and the manor house has been off of the Floo Network since my absence. Its connection cannot be re-established until I do so from within," he explained in even breaths that kept in time with his pace.

When they were past the gates Severus turned once again to Harry. "Harry, you are going to have to come close and hold on tightly to me."

"Um...Okay," Harry said nervously. He stepped closer to Severus and reached his arms out…timidly trying to find a spot in which to put his arms around Severus without feeling so awkward.

His father's lips thinned from impatience and Harry nearly yelped in surprise as Severus abruptly pulled Harry close and manoeuvred Harry's arms about his waist. Severus wrapped one arm tightly around Harry and grasped his trunk with his free hand.

Harry had to admit…as awkward as it felt, the close proximity to his father was comfortable all at the same time. Severus' robes were softer than Harry imagined, and he smelled differently.

During the school year, the sharp odour of various potions clung to Severus in an invisible haze. But these were not the Potion Master's teaching robes. They smelt warm and masculine. Like sandalwood. Like comfort. Like safety…tinged with the slight salty sweat of exertion from striding down the hill from the castle.

Like Dad, Harry thought as he heart gave a slight squeeze in his chest. Why had he just noticed?

Wanting to avoid the implications of such thoughts, Harry turned to more practical matters. "Uh…What about Hedwig?" he asked hesitantly. "Will she be able to find me through the wards?"

"Yes. You are a Prince by blood and the wards will recognise her as your familiar… Now hold on tight, Harry," Severus said. Harry wasn't certain he liked that quirky, upturned lip. "The first time Apparating can be a little…discombobulating."

"Did you just say discombobula…?"

Before Harry could finish his sentence he felt as if he was being turned inside out. Harry knew he and Severus had arrived at their destination, but apparently Harry's stomach and his brain had decided to continue to travel on without the rest of him.

Did his father say 'discombobulating'? Harry thought the word sounded odd coming from Severus Snape, but Harry had to admit… the term was accurate.

All Harry could say about his first impressions of the Prince estate was that the grass was lovely. Now if the ground would just stop moving…

He heard his father's voice say from someplace over him, "Harry, let I give you a hand up?" All he could see of the man was his black leather boots and an extended hand.

"No thank you…I think I'll just stay where I'm at for the moment," Harry whimpered. The ground felt so nice and firm…as long as he didn't move.

"Harry…I know how secure lying on the ground must feel right now," said Severus in a strangely sympathetic voice as Harry watched his father kneel down next to him. "But you'll never see your new home if you don't get up."

Home?

Suddenly the nausea from the Apparition was replaced with new feelings...excitement and curiosity. Harry now took his father's hand. With what was the first real smile Harry had ever seen grace the man's face, Severus helped Harry up and said, "Welcome to your mother's cottage, Harry."

It took a minute for Harry to take it all in…and another for him to remember to breathe. He and Severus were standing before what could best be described as a small courtyard rather than a front garden. They had Apparated directly under a red brick archway.

The arch connected two stone buildings with thatched roofs that actually created an 'L' shaped wall at the south and west of the courtyard. The west side building was the larger of the two. It actually had small windows high up its side and was split level. Harry thought that it might have been a stable once upon a time. The south facing building was long, rectangular, and windowless. It had ivy growing up its side. The base of the two buildings was bordered by the same rusty brick as the arch.

As soon as one stepped from beneath the arch, a cobblestone path curved through the courtyard grass, dividing the grass into two crescent moon shaped carpets. The path led up to a wooden staircase that went up to a covered balcony. The balcony extended across the entire façade of the little stone cottage. It was supported by squared wooden porch posts. The mahogany entry door was in the middle if the frontal façade. To the right of the entry door was a large two paned window, to the left, a small window sat high up. The shutters and porch posts were painted a warm reddish brown.

The cottage itself was a four square bungalow with a slate roof. He had seen homes similar to this in the magazines Aunt Petunia would sometimes get that displayed model houses from around the world. Harry couldn't remember where the design was from, but it was unlike anything Harry had seen in his limited knowledge of the English countryside. He would have to ask Severus where his great-grandfather had come up with the design of the house.

There was a single dormer protruding from the front and a larger one from the back. On either side there were two more dormers, with a stone chimney jutting out from between them.

Harry was taking it all in when his father asked, "Well, are we going in?" Although the smile had left Severus' lips, it had taken up residence in his father's eyes.

"Yeah," Harry said distractedly.

As he and his father walked up the cobble stone pathway, Harry looked off to the east. As far as the eye could see, they were surrounded by pasture and copse.

In the far distance, Harry could see part of a lake that seemed to be nestled between two hillsides, and atop an even farther hill, what resembled a fairy tale palace. It looked tiny from this distance but Harry could still make out the blue steeple roofs, the façade looked like a pale yellow from the distance. He could even tell that there were manicured gardens and greenhouses.

"What's that?" Harry asked as he pointed at the far of structure.

"That is Prince Manor," Harry gave Severus a double take. He almost sounded amused.

"How far away is it?" he asked his father as they ascended the stairs to the front balcony. Harry had stopped when he reach the top and looked across the expanse before him. Severus stopped and looked with him.

"The manor is approximately five kilometres from here, as the crow flies" explained Severus. Harry was shocked when he considered the distance. The place was had to be massive. "It as somewhere around 250 rooms and a little over 53,000 square metres of floor space," his father said before Harry could form the question. Severus then turned to open the door.

Harry followed in his father, but he continued to look over his shoulder into the far off distance. "Wow," he said in wonder.

"I lived there for eleven years and never managed to explore the entire manor," Severus said as he stepped aside and held the door open for Harry. "Perhaps you will uncover secrets that even I was unable to, in my youth."

Harry finally managed to take his eyes off the fairy-tale in the distance and stepped into the cottage. At first glance there was nothing much to see. They stood in a long entrance hallway. The walls were painted neutral beige with mahogany crown moulding. The crown moulding ran throughout the house. A long, red runner covered the dark hardwood floors.

Harry stopped when he noticed the pictures, both magical and Muggle that lined the entry hall walls.

He gasped and stood transfixed. Not only were there happy pictures of Sev…his father and mother, but there were quite a few of an older couple, as well. A man with flaming red hair, a longish face and familiar green eyes…and a woman with pretty blue eyes and her blond hair swept up into a bun. In the Muggle photo Harry was studying, they were smiling brightly with their arms about one another. It looked as though they were in a back garden… in the middle of a party going on about them.

"Your mother's parents."

Harry nearly jumped as his father startled him with his sudden presence. There was a far-off look in his eyes. "This was taken during a surprise party for their twentieth anniversary."

Harry turned back to the picture and continued to gaze in awe. As he studied the man to whom he was a namesake, he could begin to see family resemblances. Aunt Petunia had inherited her mother's hair and her father's face. Harry's mum had inherited her father's hair and eyes, and by extension…Harry had Harold's eyes.

"What happened to them?"

Harry's question was met with silence as he continued to stare at his grandparents—wishing the people would move. He thought he might have heard a slight sniff before Severus finally answered in what Harry could only describe as false bravado, "Let's save such melancholy for another day, shall we? You still have a house to explore."

"I still need to unpack. We left my trunk outside," Harry said as he headed back to the front door, but stopped when his father said, "Not to worry, a house-elf has already taken care of it."

Harry turned and gave his father a quizzical look, "Really?"

Harry gave a second look to his surroundings. The cottage didn't seem big enough to warrant a house-elf. Coming in from the outside, Harry noticed the open door to the door left that led into the kitchen. There was a short hallway directly across from the kitchen door that had a door on the end and another to the left.

"Your room is up the stairs and straight across the landing," Severus told him. "I'm going to tell the manor's head house-elf, Cassie, to go ahead and prepare supper. In the meantime, make yourself at home, Harry." Severus then strode down the main hall and disappeared through another door on the left.

Home.

That word again. He couldn't hear it enough.

Harry continued to walk down the hallway, averting his gaze so not to linger on the family photos he knew would lure him like the Mirror of Erised. From the corner of his eye he could see others of a man and woman with darker hair. Severus wondered if they were his father' parents, but that secret would keep for now.

There was a door straight ahead, just beyond the foot of the stairs. Harry could see his father in the sitting room on the left, talking to a house-elf wearing what looked to be a deep blue pillow case with gold trim. To Harry's right, he could see small semi-formal dining room. Its entrance was just past the foot of the stairs.

When Harry came to the foot of the stairs, he felt a surge of energy course through his body and he bounded up the stairs. He wanted to see his bedroom in his house.

At the top he could see the recess of what was the front facing dormer. It had a comfy looking built in seating area. Just right for reading on a rainy day, he thought to himself.

Harry turned down the landing and saw two doors, one directly ahead, the other at a ninety degree angle to the right.

Harry entered his room. He was actually surprised how small it was. It was only slightly bigger than his room at the Dursley's. It was if someone had to make do with the odd shapes of the sloping roof and recessed windows. But whoever did it, did it well.

The room looked a little feminine, but not overly so. The walls were white with the same dark crown moulding as the rest of the house. He had a queen sized sled bed with a white cotton comforter. Directly next to his bed was a red chaise chair sitting in front of a recessed window facing the back of the house. It was cosy, but it still resembled a guest room. Even if the money came from his vault, the next visit to London would have to include a purchase of at least some new linens, and once he put up his Quidditch poster, and his drawings, it would go a long way into making the room his own.

In the recessed window area facing the side, was a small writing desk and chair. His school books were already in a neat stack on his desk, ready to be used. There was also a floor to ceiling book shelf built into the wall.

Harry noticed his new trunk sitting on the floor on the foot of the bed.

He went to the window next to the bed. Harry actually had to climb up on the chaise chair that sat in the recess and face backwards to look out.

Harry couldn't believe what he saw in the back garden...a Quidditch Pitch. Now there was a view!

At first Harry wondered if his father might have had it built for him, but then he noticed that it was rather old. Then Harry remembered something. …not the only Quidditch player…his father had said.

Does Severus play Quidditch?

Now Harry was really anxious to know what was in that bag.

Harry climbed down from the chair and noticed a wardrobe cupboard made from some dark wood and a door on the opposite facing wall. Harry was about to open the new door when he heard his father call out from the foot of the stairs. "Harry? Dinner's ready."

"This place is brilliant!" Harry told Severus excitingly as he bounded down the stairs.

"Yes it is," Severus agreed as he watched his exuberant teen race past him and into the dining room. Severus shook his head as he followed the boy in. "Just don't bring the walls down around us and it will remain that way…have you washed yet?"

"Uh…no…where's the wash room?"

"Well, apparently you didn't notice the facilities in your room," Severus said.

"I have an ensuite here too? I didn't think there was enough room."

"No…we wash in the creek out back and dig a hole outside with a trowel like squatters. Yes…you have an ensuite."

Harry smiled broadly. "Great. I'll be right back."

"No need," Severus said as he stopped his teenaged son from thundering back up the stairs. "There is a loo just past that door and to the left. You can wash there." The door had led into the small hallway that Harry noticed when they came into the house.


Severus sighed to himself as watched as Harry left the dining room to go wash his hands. He had told Harry a half truth. True, he did not want to speak of the Evans' untimely deaths tonight. It was because he had another, almost equally disturbing topic to discuss with his son. However, he made up his mind not to do so until after dinner.

When Harry returned, Severus was already seated at the head of the table. The dining table could seat up to four people with room to spare, but was now only set for two.

As Harry pulled out his chair and sat down to his bangers and mash, he took time to notice the room. The walls were a warm pumpkin colour with a large bay window facing the east. There was a mahogany china cabinet filled with sparkling fine crystal and some very expensive looking china that would make Aunt Petunia drool with envy, and serving table on either wall.

"Severus" Harry asked hesitantly.

After a moment of uncomfortable silence, Harry still faltered with the question in his head.

Severus said silkily as he cut into his banger, "Are you going to ask me a question Harry… or leave me to die of curiosity?"

Why was Harry afraid to ask? It wasn't as if the Pitch wasn't in the back garden for the entire world to see. Well…Harry supposed that the entire world couldn't see it…but he could.

Harry finally mustered up the courage and practically blurted out, "Do you play Quidditch?" He played with his potatoes as he wearily watched his father from the corner of his eye for a reaction.

"As a matter of fact…I do…or rather, I did," Severus corrected himself. He then took a hearty bite of his sausage.

Severus' casual tone went a long way to make Harry relax and he felt his appetite quickly return. "Really?" he said as he cut into his own dinner with relish. He couldn't imagine Severus Snape doing anything as frivolous as playing Quidditch.

There was no mistaking the amused glint in Severus' eyes when he said, "I fail to see why that astonishes you? You have seen me referee a game, after all." He took a sip of wine and continued. "You honestly don't think that they'd allow someone to mediate a game that did not actually have experience playing?"

"I suppose you're right," mused Harry. "I just can't imagine you racing around on a broom…What position did you play?" he asked as he stabbed at his food.

A hint of a grin crept itself in the corner of Severus' lips. "I was a Seeker," he said then took another bite of his own dinner.

Harry's fork stopped in mid-air. "You're winding me up," he said in disbelief. "You weren't a Seeker. Why haven't I heard about this before?"

"Most likely for the same reason you haven't heard that Professor McGonagall was once Gryffindor's star Beater," explained Severus. "It's a long standing tradition that the staff refrains from mentioning their personal lives, past or present. Our school awards are even kept in the staff room."

"Why? That doesn't seem fair."

"Well…Primarily, it simply isn't professional to speak of such things," Severus explained. "And not to mention, over 300 years ago a friendly House rivalry between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff went south when the students were boasting over whose Head was the better Wizard's Chess Champion. The rivalry turned into a duel between the Heads. The Head of Hufflepuff ended up sporting permanent bat wings for ears whilst the Head of Ravenclaw was hexed so badly, he vanished for three years."

"Wow! And I thought that House rivalries got out of hand these days," Harry said as he hung on Severus' every word. "Do you have any awards?"

"As a matter of fact I do," said Severus with an obvious air of pride. "Perhaps I will show you some day."

"That would be brilliant! What broom did you fly?" Harry asked.

"A Nimbus 1500…I think the old broom may still be in the attic," he hinted to Harry. "It doesn't compare to a Firebolt, but even to this day, it can outperform most of the brooms on the market."

Harry took the hint and ran with it. "Maybe we can fly together some day," he said hopefully. "Maybe even see who's better at catching the Snitch?"

"I'm afraid that you will have the advantage over me in that regard, Harry," his father admitted as he put down his linen napkin. "I'm several years out of practice. However, I would have given even you a run for your money when I was in my prime," he boasted. "That Pitch in the back was built by my great-grandfather. I used it for my own practice."

"I don't understand?" Harry said. "Aunt Petunia said that you grew up not far from them. When did you live here?"

"I was almost eleven," Severus told Harry. "My mother had died. Although she was estranged from my grandfather, I had become his only heir. He would not stand to have his only grandson raised by a Muggle. Julius had been granted custody of me after he had my father declared unfit."

Harry had noticed that his father had become decidedly uncomfortable with the subject.

Severus arose from the table. "Harry after you finish your pudding, I need you to join me in the sitting room," he said stiffly. "I have a serious matter that I need to discuss with you."

Harry was taken aback by his father's sudden change in tone. It sounded almost ominous. But Harry simply agreed as he nodded, "Alright."


Severus left the dining room and went into his office at the end of the hall to be alone. With his elbow propped on the table and his head hanging in his hand, he nursed his growing headache by rubbing his temple with his thumb. He reached into his top desk drawer and took out a phial of a standard Pain Relief Draught, thankful the elves had remembered the basics when they packed his things that morning. Severus took the draught, and thanked Merlin for the instant relief.

He wasn't ready to discuss the topic of Julius with his son yet. But even more unpleasant was the fact that he could not avoid discussing the topic of Lucius Malfoy with Harry.

He had to mentally prepare himself. Severus wasn't certain how he was going to tell Harry that he would be giving Occlumency lessons to Lucius Malfoy.

Severus later found Harry in the sitting room. His son had apparently been waiting for some time. Harry was draped over the arm of the couch, half asleep. The only light in the room was a couple of low lit sconces that gave a soft glow of the rust painted walls.

"Harry?" Severus called quietly.

He was right in guessing that Harry was not yet fully asleep. The boy groggily answered, "Wha…Oh…Sorry, Severus," at the sound of Severus' gentle query.

Harry slowly sat up and fixed the glasses on his face. "I was trying to stay awake."

"That's quite alright, Harry. I apologise if I woke you," Severus said as he took a seat in the Chippendale next to Harry.

"No, that's okay. You said you wanted to talk to me about something?"

He really couldn't think of a way to approach the subject delicately. He could feel that headache coming back.

As always, Severus opted for the direct path. It was how he preferred to get his news…good or bad. Severus figured that he ought to give his son the same respect that he expected for himself.

Severus put his fisted hand over his mouth as he nervously cleared his throat. "Yes, Harry," he began. "You surely recall this afternoon when I abruptly left to go speak with Mr Malfoy?"

Harry nodded but said nothing, so Severus continued.

"As I am sure you are aware, last night's meeting with my… other associates…did not exactly go smoothly."

"Yeah?" Harry said, unable to hide his anxiety.

"Well…it seems that Mr Malfoy has found a common cause with The Order and is in need of protection."

"Protection? What does that have to do with me and what makes you think that he isn't just trying to rat you out?"

"I assure you he is not. It's not only Mr Malfoy's life that is at stake, but lives of his family…especially Draco." Severus explained.

"Draco…what does Draco have to do with anything?"

Why is it he never noticed how observant Harry was before? Severus realised that the boy was just as adept at sussing out a deception as he was. Lying out right to the boy probably wouldn't work and it would certainly lead to distrust. But this was a burden Severus wanted to keep from his son for as long as possible. Harry had enough of the weight of the world set on his scrawny shoulders. "Harry, please trust me on this. Suffice it to say, if it were just Lucius, I would leave him to suffer whatever fate he had meted out for himself…but I cannot stand back and watch a child pay for his father's sins…And neither can Lucius."

"I suppose I can understand him wanting to protect his family," Harry mused as he studied his hands. "But I think there's more to this than what you're saying. What kind of protection are you going to offer Mr Malfoy and why should I care?"

Severus sat up straighter and readied himself for the diatribe he knew would come. "Because, it has become a necessity that I teach Lucius Malfoy Occlumency."

Severus actually had to grab on the arms of his chair to keep from falling out of his seat from Harry's outburst.

Harry bolted up from the sofa. "YOU"RE GOING TO DO WHAT!"

Severus arose from his chair and put his hands on Harry's shoulders in an attempt to calm his son "Harry…you must calm yourself. Use your Occlumency."

Harry batted Severus' arms away and ranted, "Don't tell me to calm myself! And sod your Occlumency! He was there…that night, you know. All he did was watch like it was some sort of sick entertainment and did nothing when Voldemort tried to kill me! He actually smiled when Vol…when He tortured me! He didn't even blink an eye at Cedric's bo…At Ce…There was a kid lying there dead and he didn't even care!"

Even if Severus was aware of what Lucius was thinking that night, it did not matter now. Harry was too far gone to listen to any explanations or excuses. Severus had to catch Harry as his son's legs suddenly gave out on him.

It appeared that although Harry no longer blamed himself for what happened to his friend in the graveyard that night, the events themselves still plagued the child. Harry was a strong boy, but he was still that…a boy. He was Severus' boy, who had seen more horror than any one person should experience in a lifetime. Despite Harry's Gryffindor bravado, another breakdown was inevitable. It was better for Harry that it was sooner rather than later.

Severus lowered Harry to the floor with him. The leaned on the couch for support and Severus let his son cry into his chest. For how long…Severus had no idea. It did not matter.

After some time, Harry's keening gave way to sobs, and then to small hiccups. Severus pulled a handkerchief from his pocket, and began to dry Harry's cheeks. He was startled when he felt Harry's hand rest softly over his. It lingered for a moment, until Harry's fingers gingerly took the cloth from Severus' hand.

Harry looked up at Severus through his now grimy, tear-stained glasses, with his watery green eyes. He was congested when he said a soft, "Thank you," to Severus.

Severus knew Harry wasn't thanking him for the handkerchief.

Harry dropped his head on Severus' shoulder and Severus put his arm around Harry's shoulders and began carding his long fingers through his son's unruly hair. "Harry," Severus said softly, "I need you to listen and understand. I do not excuse Lucius for any of his past sins." Severus soothing voice seemed to have an effect on his son, as he felt a slight bit of tension release from Harry's shoulders, despite the return to the unwelcome subject. "But I assure you…I would not even consider this, if Draco's life weren't at stake. You would not have me stand idly by as the Dark Lord murders another child?"

A horrible realisation came to Severus. There would be others. He did not know when the Dark Lord intended to summon his Death Eaters and their firstborn. Would they be able to save all of the children in time? He closed his eyes and tightened his grip around his own son, hesitant to let him go.

Harry slowly pulled himself away from his Severus' embrace. "Of course not," the boy sniffed as he wiped a stay tear away with the handkerchief and blew his nose. "I may not like Draco, but I don't want anything to happen to him…I just don't know if I can see his father around all of the time."

"You won't have to see Lucius Malfoy at all, Harry," Severus reassured his son as he placed a callused hand on the boy's cheek. "His sessions will only be on Wednesday and Saturday evenings and will be conducted in my office at Hogwarts. He won't know we are at the estate or that this cottage even exists."

Harry gave another little hiccup and Severus could not help but to smile a little inside. The boy seemed all of five, rather than fifteen.

"I guess that'll be okay…for Draco's sake."

"Thank you, Harry."

Severus arose and offered a helping hand to Harry. "Would you like me to help clear your mind before bed?"

Harry sniffed one last time before he gave a weak smile, "I suppose…but you know what would really help to clear my mind?"

"What is that?"

"Could you tell me about you and Mum?"

Severus gave his son a broad smile. He could get used to this...as long as it was in private. "Of course I can, Harry."

Harry and Severus sat close to each other on the sofa. Harry listened as his father regaled him with stories of the mother he never had a chance to know. This story was one where Mr Evans had taken him, Lily, and even Petunia on a fishing trip on some river whose name he couldn't remember.

Harry laughed when Severus told him how Petunia had dropped her pole and ran off screaming in terror when she managed to catch a Water Snake instead of a fish.

Harry asked if Severus or Lily had anything to do with it, and Severus only replied with a soft snort of insult.

Funny…Harold Evans asked that same question.

After an hour or so, Harry began to drift off to sleep and Severus never had the chance to help Harry Occlude. It did not matter. Harry was in a peaceful sleep. To Severus' astonishment, Harry had actually fallen asleep in his shoulder.

Severus propped his legs on the coffee table before him. He slowly reached for a throw pillow, taking care not to wake Harry. Severus put the pillow in his lap and gently lowered his son's head.

Harry stirred slightly, but quickly settled down as his body discovered it was in a more comfortable position. When Severus was certain his son was once again sound asleep, he leaned back into the sofa and allowed his own slumber to overtake him.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hi, folks. Y'all get rewarded with a nice big chapter today. The longest on to date! One of these days, I'll catch up on my own reading.

Thank you for all of your wonderful reviews and encouragement. It means SO much.

Oh…whether you're in Pottermore or not, feel free to come join us on our new Pottermore Fun Yahoo group. The link is on my profile page.

Leave me a yummy review. All that sugar just makes me write faster. ;-D

TTFN
~Missyann


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2564