Along Came a Family by missyanne
Summary: Severitus-beginning between years four and five. Harry is overcome with guilt over the death of Cedric Diggory and has isolated himsef from those who care. A strange gift arrives on his fifteenth birthday that changes everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 179510 Read: 210057 Published: 06 Jun 2011 Updated: 29 Oct 2020
Real Problems by missyanne
Author's Notes:
A/N: Reader Advisory— This chapter refers to the death of a teenaged child (Yes…I'm old enough to think of teenagers as children). Though the details are not overly graphic, some readers may find them disturbing.

That night had been a restless one for Harry. He had a headache almost all night. Well…not really a headache…it was more like an entire face-ache.

He tossed and turned all night, never getting out of bed, not wanting to chance waking up Ron and not really knowing if it was okay to disturb his father in the middle of the night. So Harry spent an uncomfortable night, impatiently waiting for morning so he could ask his father for a Pain Draught.

Harry finally rolled himself out of bed when he heard Ron stir. Ron was already dressed because he knew Bob had breakfast ready on the library terrace every morning at eight o'clock.

Harry gingerly pushed himself up from bed and placed a hand over his eyes, squeezing his temples with his thumb and fingers. He hadn't yet reached for his glasses as he removed his hand from his face and squinted. He gave his eyes some time to adjust to the harsh morning light that streamed through the panes of centuries-old leaded glass.

He did not know why, but Harry could feel Ron's eyes fixed on him. He continued to squint as he looked up to see Ron's blurry form standing before him.

Harry's gut twisted when Ron said, "Bloody hell, Harry," in grim amazement.

Harry grabbed for glasses from the side table and shoved them on his face "What...What's the matter?"

"Your face, Harry…Look in the mirror at your face!"

"What's wrong with my face?" Harry said in alarm as he put his hands to his face to feel if it had broken out in boils or something.

His face hadn't broken out in boils, but something felt off. He ran over to the full size mirror that stood next to his dressing screen.

Harry stared into the mirror in disbelief. When he finally voice it cracked when he said, "Ron…Go get my dad."

It didn't even occur to Harry that he had called Severus dad, only that he needed his dad right now.

It wasn't supposed to happen this quickly. Harry thought he would have a whole year.

What are we going to do now?


The door flew open as Severus barged into Harry's room with his son's friends fast on his heels. Severus had been disturbed in the middle dressing when Mr Weasley interrupted him, pounding frantically on his bedroom door.

Severus didn't have to open the door, as Harry's best mate began yelling that Harry had undergone another change before Severus had the chance to. He threw his dressing gown over his bare-chest and his trousers before rushing to Harry's room.

Severus came up behind Harry and placed his hands on his son's shoulders. "Harry…show me your face."

Harry had his back turned to him and his head hung dejectedly. He was still looking in the mirror, but from the angle, Severus could not tell what his son was looking at.

"Dad…look at me," Harry said almost desperately, then turned to face Severus.

Severus was hit with a double blow that seemed to knock the air out of him. First, Harry had once again called him 'Dad'…and secondly, his son's face.

Harry's face had changed. At first glance…one could still recognise Harry Potter, especially if the boy wore his glasses. But it did not take a second glance to notice that there was something was strikingly different.

Harry still had his mother's almond shaped, emerald eyes. However, with his glasses off, one could see that they were set deeper. Harry's jaw line was still close to what James Potter's had been at the same age but his cheekbones were now higher. His nose was also longer and more aquiline, much as Severus' had once been before it was broken by his dear grandfather.

If alone, the casual observer might believe that Harry was a teenager who was simply growing into his adult features, maybe some that he had picked up from a distant relative. But standing next to Severus…the similarity was unmistakable.

Severus took his son's face in hand and studied him. Despite the fact it was obvious that Severus had contributed to the boy's genetic makeup, thanks to Lily, Harry would become an impressively handsome young man. At the same time Severus' heart swelled with pride, his mind raced with concern.

One thing had become certain. Severus' days as a mole were as of that moment, at an end. There would be no denying this to the Dark Lord. There was no denying Harry was Harry, and no denying he was Severus' son. Once term began, word would spread like Fiendfyre. Severus had to speak to Albus immediately.

"Dad, what are we going to do?" Harry asked in desperation.

Severus took in a sharp inhalation of air. The accolade washed through him like a rush of warm water. Only then did Severus find the voice to answer.

"I am afraid there is nothing much we can do, Harry," Severus told his son. "There is no magic that can hide your appearance effectively enough."

Harry was upon the onset of panic when he asked, "Can I use Polyjuice or something? Dad…everyone is going to know!"

"Polyjuice would be useless in your situation, Harry," Severus explained. "You cannot take the potion only to change back into yourself. Moreover, we do not know if this is your last change. Taking Polyjuice Potion under these circumstances is extremely dangerous."

Harry asked miserably, "What are we going to tell people? They're going to notice."

Harry had asked a good question. The Princes and Potters did have one common female ancestor, but that was too far back to explain the similarity. However, there was no denying Harry now had unmistakable Snape features. His cheekbones and forehead were all Snape. Nothing in the boy's wizarding ancestry could explain that fact.

If it wasn't for the fact that the change was so sudden, some in the wizarding world might believe a distant kinship through a grandmother, but it would never fool those who matter…unfortunately given Severus' past with Lily Evans, they would know better.

"I will have to go over the options with the Headmaster," Severus said evenly. "Trust me, Harry…everything will be alright."

Severus only wished he could believe it himself. Harry only silently nodded.

"Get dressed and come down for breakfast," Severus said softly. "There is no reason to let this ruin the rest of your weekend."


"Severus, my boy…if you don't quit your incessant pacing, you're going to wear a path into the carpeting."

Severus stopped in mid-stride and gave Albus one of his more deadly glares. When the old man continued to stare back at him, unaffected from behind his half-moon glasses, Severus threw up his hands in defeat and inelegantly plopped himself down in his regular chair in front of the Headmaster's desk.

"I fail to see how you can remain so calm after what I just told you," Severus said as he propped his elbow on the arm of the chair and began to rub his temple in a vain effort to relieve his emerging headache. "Other than baring Harry from returning to Hogwarts, I have no idea how we're going to keep this a secret."

Albus sighed as he began to pour out tea. "Yes…this latest transformation did come at us rather like rogue Bludger. But I'm afraid putting him in hiding would cause at least as many problems as it would solve. If Harry goes into hiding, no doubt we would have to do the same for the Weasleys and the Grangers. Voldemort would not hesitate to decimate any number of families, just because their children might be a tenuous acquaintance, and therefor might have some small clue as to where the boy might be."

Severus leaned forward in his chair. He supported himself with his forearms on his thighs and wrung his hands as he thought. As much as he hated to admit it, Albus was right. Putting Harry into hiding would create a logistical nightmare…not to mention Harry would never stand for it.

Severus saw the Headmaster's hand place a cup of tea on the side table, but Severus sit did not sit up.

From behind him, he heard the Headmaster say, "It seems to me…the best course of action would to say nothing and see where the chips may fall before we act rashly."

Severus sat up and turned in his chair, his arm leaning across the top. "Are you daft, Old Man? You know the rumours will begin to fly about the castle faster than any Owl." Severus then righted himself in his chair and fell back into it gracelessly and sighed, "And you know many of the rumours will be cruel."

Severus felt the wizened hand on his shoulder before he saw it. The Headmaster sagely said, "I know…but they are only words and…"

"Words can cut deeper than any sword! Children can be vicious, Albus! Not to mention whatever dreck that lying Hag, Skeeter, will undoubtedly print!" Severus spat.

Ironically, it was Harry's classmates that Severus worried over more than the Dark Lord at this moment. Severus would answer no more Summons. And thanks to his skills with Occlumency, he need not worry about being Imperiused through his Mark and compelled to kill is son as did the others.

Once the Dark Lord became aware of Severus' defection, Severus knew he would become a hunted man. It was a risk that everyone…including Harry, agreed had to be taken. Being ousted as Harry Potter's real father would do nothing to lessen or augment that danger. Well…there was a slight chance that Severus would oust Harry for the number-one spot on the Dark Lord's hit list, but that was a good thing as far as Severus was concerned. Even if he wasn't Harry's father, his defection would at least rate Severus the number-two spot.

Severus could not brew that Potion. He couldn't sabotage it to make it ineffective either…that was certain death. If he hadn't just become a new father, it was a sacrifice Severus would have once made. There wasn't even a way to turn the Potion into a poison, as it required two Bezoars, used to counteract the toxic effects of many of the other ingredients. And as Bezoars left a distinctive colour and odour that any Second-year was aware of, he couldn't leave them out. It was why many medicinal Potions tasted like dirty socks.

But Severus wasn't thinking about the Dark Lord's Potion at that particular moment. He was worried about Harry. Severus was never popular, either in his youth or as an adult. It had bothered him as a school boy, but he had developed a rather thick skin since then and had come to care little for the opinions of others, except for the Headmaster's and perhaps a little of his fellow Heads of House .

Harry had enough problems to deal with. Severus didn't want bullying and ostracism to be added amongst them just because Harry had the dubious distinction of being his son. Once Rita Skeeter caught wind of the story…as she no doubt would… her scandal-mongering stories would only fan the flames. He shuddered to think of the fabrications she would create. Either Severus would be made out to be a rapist, or Lily would be made out to be a whore. The truth didn't matter. It never did with sensationalists like Rita Skeeter.

What was he thinking when he wanted to scream from the rooftops that Harry was his son?

The reality of the situation stared Severus in the face that morning. Harry had not only awakened to find himself looking more like a young Severus, he had called Severus, 'Dad'. To Severus' astonishment and immense joy, Harry had continued to call him by the name even after the boy's initial shock wore off.

If the truth be known, Severus had been waiting for this day with almost giddy anticipation, but Severus could not find it in himself to celebrate. True, Severus felt a sense of fatherly pride and he wanted show everyone that he was capable of creating something as beautiful as his son. But he was now painfully aware as to what repercussions his son would have to face. Severus would not sacrifice his son's happiness for his own hubris.

"Severus?"

Severus' morose thoughts were interrupted by the Headmaster. He simply looked up and locked eyes with Albus, and waited to hear what he had to say.

"I did not intend to imply that Harry would be unaffected by taunting. As Headmaster, I promise to do everything within my power to insure that anyone who bullies him will be punished."

Severus took to scanning the room and studying the portraits of the former Headmasters. They were all sitting in some form of repose. He knew from the unnatural rhythm of their papery snores, that they were listening to every word being said.

"Fat lot of good that'll do," Severus mumbled under his breath, recalling his own victimisation by the Marauders as a schoolboy.

The Headmaster said, resigned, "True…unfortunately we cannot be everywhere at once. And I'm sorry I was not as…strict…with James and Sirius as I should have been." He then turned and once again met Severus' eyes. "But Harry will survive this setback just as he has his others. Perhaps even better…because this time, he will not only have the support of his true friends, but that of his father as well."

The Headmaster's 'apology' did nothing for Severus but stir-up burning resentment in the pit of his belly. He'd like to tell Albus what he could do with his apology and his promise of protection for Harry, when their conversation was interrupted.

The gentle burning embers in the Headmaster's hearth suddenly flashed a brilliant green.

"Dumbledore?" the all-too familiar drawl inquired.

Severus had almost forgotten the initial reason he was in the Headmaster's office to begin with… Occlumency with Lucius Malfoy.


After a very long and trying day, Severus was finally ready to bury his weary head into his cool pillow.

He was grateful for the Headmaster's offer to use his office as a place to meet with and teach Lucius Occlumency. Between Harry's latest transformation and the fact that Severus had an Occlumency lesson with Lucius, the boy was balanced on a precarious edge. Severus was afraid that inviting Lucius into a home that now was as much Harry's as it was Severus' would push his son over the edge…whether Harry was present or not.

One of the most important things Severus came to find out about his son was that thanks to Petunia, her elephantine husband, and the equally bloated demon spawn they produced, Harry had never felt safe at the one place that should have been his home. Severus was trying his best to change that for Harry. He hoped to do this by providing Harry a clean slate and a firm foundation to build their new life upon. Severus wasn't about to jeopardise Harry's tenuous feelings of trust by inviting one of the primary causes of the boy's recent nightmares into their home.

The session between Severus and Lucius had gone well. Malfoy had a deep motivation to make Occlumency work. For all of Lucius' cold aloofness, he was even more devoted to his family than Severus was even aware. Severus had always considered the Malfoy marriage to be one of planned genetics and the merging of fortunes. He had always considered Lucius as a narcissist whose feelings for his wife never went beyond that of a trophy wife and the vessel of his heir, and Draco as insurance that the Malfoy line would live to see a new generation. Severus had never thought with all of the atrocities Malfoy had committed for his Dark Lord in the past, that the wizard actually deeply loved his wife and son.

Before that evening, Severus had no idea that although Lucius had agreed with the Dark Lord's views on Blood Purity and the superiority of Wizard over Muggle, he had never intended to subjugate himself to the Dark Lord, but rather he hoped to become an equal of sorts. Lucius had taken the Mark at the behest…or rather, threat of his dying father. He would either take the Mark…or lose his entire legacy to the Dark Lord and his cause. Fortunately for Lucius, the Dark Lord had never been made aware of that eleventh-hour caveat to Abraxas Malfoy's will. Lucius would have been dead long ago.

Lucius believed, and Severus had to agree to this point, that he was above being enslaved to the service of any wizard. He never hoped for the Dark Lord's return, but once it had happened, he made damn sure to ingratiate himself as closely as possible. If he was fated to be a slave, he would be an invaluable one if for no other reason than to insure his own family would never become a target. Lucius had just learned the hard way that no family was safe…and those of the Death Eater's, least of all.

Lucius was still having a hard time wrapping his brain around the fact that Severus had been a spy for the Light all this time. Having this assertion backed-up by none other than Albus Dumbledore went far to ease whatever doubts Lucius might have had concerning Severus' loyalties. Lucius couldn't stand the old coot, but he knew he could trust him.

Indeed, to insure that Lucius had no intention of selling out Severus, Albus insisted upon submitting Malfoy to Legilimency himself. In order to fool Albus, Lucius would have already needed to be a better Occlumens than Severus. But Lucius' intentions had turned out to be pure…as pure as any of Malfoy's intentions could be…so Severus took the first steps to teach Lucius Occlumency.

Unbelievably, Lucius' punishment at the hands of the Dark Lord could work to his advantage. The Dark Lord had already invaded Lucius' mind and found his thoughts treacherous. With luck, by the time the Dark Lord decided it was time for Lucius to sacrifice his son, he would be skilled enough in Occlumency to throw off the Dark Lord's Imperius Curse. The Dark Lord knew that Lucius was not the mysterious Occlumens. He would not waste his time focusing in Lucius so chances were good that simple shields would be enough until such time Lucius would be required to repay his debt…and the price would be a steep one. But even in his limited experience as a parent, Severus knew that there was no price too dear when it came to protecting one's child.

After downing a Pain Draught, Severus slipped beneath his comforter. He looked forward to a peaceful night's sleep after his long day. Harry's friends would be returning to Grimmauld Place after lunch the next day and Severus would have a few days of peace and quiet with his son at the cottage before they had to return to Hogwarts and finish readying for the coming term.

He finally drifted into a peaceful sleep.

It would not last long.


The occupants of Prince Manor had been sleeping peacefully for some time…with the exception of one.

Harry had been restless all night long. Sleep came harder to him this night than it had since he began learning Occlumency. His dad had been in earlier that night and helped Harry to clear his mind. It had worked…at least for a while. But then without warning, the events of the day came flooding in on him and Harry felt helpless to stop them. He kept seeing his new face…and imagining running into Lucius Malfoy in the manor corridors.

Harry had considered waking his dad more than once. But he was sharing a room with Ron and Harry knew he would just die of mortal embarrassment if his dad tucked him in like a toddler in front of his best friend.

Soon enough…Harry had not even realised he had fallen into a fitful sleep.


He looked out into the once grand and expansive hall, now dark and derelict with age. It was how he liked it. It suited what was left of his festering soul, though he did not know why. If he bothered to think of it, he would realise that like his soul…this walls of his new throne room were just as diseased as he was. The foundations had rotted away due to the ravages time, disuse, and neglect. Only the dingy, peeling, lead-poisoned paint seemed to tenuously hold together the crumbling walls.

He reached out with his pale, claw-like hand and touched the round face of his loyal minion in a gross mimicry of a loving touch.

"You have pleased me," he hissed. "And as the first…your reward shall be greatest."

He felt the spray of warm arterial blood across his face. The coppery smell and taste of the fresh pure-blood was almost orgasmic. Even without the Potion, he could feel its raw power course through him…purging him of his own weak Muggleness.

He looked down gleefully to Maximilian bending before the lifeless form of his only son, Vincent. Blood seeped from the grotesque gash that ringed his throat and Crabbe dutifully collected the blood to present to his Lord. On the floor next to him was the ruby stained tanto knife that the father had used to kill the son.

It was time to Summon his Potion's Master.


"AHHHH….AHHHH…AHHHH!"

Severus shot up out of a dead sleep. He threw off his covers and without even bothering to don his housecoat, he raced out of his bedroom and down the hallway in nothing but his pyjamas and his bare feet.

Instinct propelled him into his son's room.

"BLOODY HELL…HARRY…HARRY!"

Ronald Weasley was trying desperately to shake Harry out of a night terror. Even from as far away as the door, Severus could tell that Harry's scar was blood red.

"HARRY, WAKE UP…WAKE UP, HARRY!" Weasley cried as he continued to shake Harry.

Severus rushed to Harry's bedside. He gently cradled Harry's head between his hands and the boy's screaming ceased, though his still unconscious son continued to convulse.

"Harry…son…wake up!"

As Severus kept one hand on Harry's face, he attempted to hold down Harry's thrashing legs with his other hand to keep the boy from hurling himself out of bed, but he could not maintain enough leverage. He felt additional weight settle on the bed and looked up the see Ronald holding down Harry's flailing legs.

"What's wrong with him, Professor?" Weasley asked anxiously.

All of Harry's friends were now crowded around his bedroom door, staring at the scene playing out before them. Every one of them seemed to be frozen in their fear.

"Silence, Mr Weasley!" Severus snapped then growled at himself for his own short temper. The Weasley boy had done nothing wrong. It was a perfectly reasonable question.

Severus turned his attention back to Harry. He had to calm himself if he was going to help his son, and to do that he needed to focus. Mr Weasley's anxiety was doing nothing to help that.

"Harry?" said Severus in the most tranquil voice he could muster. "Can you hear me, son?"

That simple question seemed to work.

Harry's eyes snapped open. "Dad?" he cried out, obviously still uncertain if everything was real. "What happened?"

"That is precisely what I need to know," Severus said gently through his relief. Harry had returned to reality. Severus conjured a damp cloth and tenderly began to wipe the sweat off his son's forehead, taking special care around Harry's scar. "What did you see, son?"

Harry's eyes went frantic again as he attempted to sit up. "It was Crabbe."

Severus' put a gentle restraining hand on Harry's shoulder and his son settled back into his pillow and he asked, "Vincent Crabbe?"

"I…I think he's dead, Dad…I think his fa…fa… father killed him!"

Severus slowly up-righted himself from where he had been leaning over Harry and his heart sank to a dark place.

This was no ordinary dream.

He knew it wouldn't be too long before he would feel the burn of the Dark Lord's summons. Severus would not answer it. He knew it wouldn't be long until the Dark Lord figured out why.


It was three o'clock in the morning at Grimmauld Place and Harry had had his fill of hot chocolate and digestives.

He sat at the kitchen table with his blanket still wrapped around him. Sirius sat next to him. His godfather hadn't left his side since Harry had arrived and he was appreciative for the supporting arm around his shoulder. Harry appreciated it even more for the fact that Sirius had done this even though he knew Harry was fretting over his dad.

His dad had gone to Hogwarts to talk to the Headmaster and left Harry in Sirius' care.

It had only occurred to Harry after his father had left, that he had been calling Severus, 'Dad' all day. As much as Harry wanted to dwell on the implications of that, he couldn't… because he was just too damned scared at the moment. But he did know that calling Severus 'Dad' felt natural now, for some reason…and he wasn't about to change it.

Mrs Weasley stood anxiously by the stove, looking for all the world as if she were about to jump out of her skin for want of something to do.

Ron stood by the kitchen doorway. He had refused to go to bed, even after his mother had chased the other's upstairs. Harry was silently grateful for his friend's fierce loyalty. Mr Weasley stood next to Ron with his arm around one shoulder. He said, "I'm sure it was nothing more than a nightmare."

It was apparent from Ron's dad's tone that he was trying to assure himself as much as he was Ron and Harry. Harry thought ruefully that it wasn't working.

Everyone was on edge. Harry could hear the unasked questions about his appearance by the furtive glances the adults had been giving him all night. Sirius' face looked so tight, Harry thought his godfather would snap at any moment from shear tension.

Remus had just come from upstairs after he had seen Severus off. "We sent a Patronus to Albus," Remus explained. "Severus will be back for you in the morning, Harry…You may want to try to get some sleep," he added gently.

Harry simply shook his head in response as he obediently took yet another steaming mug of hot chocolate from the doting Mrs Weasley, even though his stomach felt like it was about to float away without him. He took a small sip, but the chocolate had lost its flavour long ago. It tasted more like hot water.

After this last nightmare, he wondered if he could ever sleep again. He prayed it was a false alarm…that it was only just a nightmare…but it felt so real…and once again, he felt so dirty.

Harry never liked Vincent Crabbe, but he didn't want to see the boy dead any more than he wanted to see anything happen to Draco…or even his own friends.

Three hours later, the Weasley's having finally coxed Ron into bed, left Harry, Sirius, and Remus to themselves. The sun would be rising soon. But Harry was determined that he would not go to bed until his father was back.

The uncomfortable silence was broken by the sound of the upstairs Floo coming to life.

"Stay right here with Sirius, Harry," Remus said, pointing to where Harry was already sitting. "I'll see who it is."

Harry watched anxiously as Remus bounded up the stairs two at a time. If his dad had only gone to talk to the Headmaster, why wasn't he back yet?

"Everything will be alright…you'll see," Sirius said assuredly. To Harry, is godfather's assurances sounded forced and only managed to twist Harry's insides even more, though he was glad for Sirius' effort.

It had seemed as if Remus had just gone upstairs when he came rushing back down again. "Harry…get up…let's go…right now!"

Harry violently pulled away from Sirius to follow Remus back up the stairs. "What…? What's the matter?"

"We have to get you back to Hogwarts…" Remus explained urgently. "Something has happened to your father!

To be continued...
End Notes:
Wow…I can't believe I finally finished the chapter. Over half of this chapter is new material, including a brand-new scene.

I'm sorry about the delay in posting, but in addition to the chapter changes and real life, I have begun a new story on FFNet, "Severus Snape and the Potion Master's Daughter". It's a Marauder's Era story betaed by my good friend, Tambrathegreat. If you enjoyed "Life's Best Laid Plans" go have a look-see.

Oh…and before anyone asks, "Why don't they just use a Glamour on Harry?"… Glamour spells are not canon, they are strictly fanon. And as I want to give some obstacles for Harry and Severus to face, I won't be using them in this story.

Luv ya, babies…Please don't throw rocks at me for the cliffie.

TTFN
~Missyann


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2564