Along Came a Family by missyanne
Summary: Severitus-beginning between years four and five. Harry is overcome with guilt over the death of Cedric Diggory and has isolated himsef from those who care. A strange gift arrives on his fifteenth birthday that changes everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 179510 Read: 210463 Published: 06 Jun 2011 Updated: 29 Oct 2020
He Will Have Powers the Dark Lord Knows Not (Part One) by missyanne

Harry stumbled out of the Floo and into the hospital wing of Hogwarts… only this time it was Remus who was there to catch his fall in his father's stead. To Harry, the brief thought of it was a bad omen. As soon as he righted himself, Harry's heart stopped at the sight that lay before him.

Severus lay as still as death on one of the hospital bed his body filling the bed that was intended for students.

Harry felt hot with anger as he realised his dad must have been like this for quite some time. His father's arms were above the covers, and from the dark blue sleeves,Harry knew somebody had time to change his into pyjamas and nobody had bothered to tell him.

The Headmaster was leaning very close to his father…almost forehead to forehead. He looked as though he was whispering something to Severus.

"Dad?" Harry said in a whisper.

Harry started to run to his father's side, but Remus grabbed him tightly around his biceps before he could take his second step.

"Let me go, Remus," Harry protested as he struggled, but there was no breaking a werewolf's grasp…even in his human form.

Remus whispered into Harry's ear, "Harry, you need to let Albus and Madam Pomfrey help him. Let them do their jobs."

Remus' calming voice helped settle Harry's rising panic.

Harry had only just then noticed the Hogwarts matron hovering over his father. She, too, must have noticed that the bed was too small for Severus because she transfigured it to a more comfortable size for a grown man, and then dutifully continued with what Harry assumed to be healing spells.

Harry gasped through suppressed tears. When had he come to care so much for Severus Snape? He had been denying his feelings for so long that he was having trouble controlling them now that they came rushing forward.

"What happened? ...What happened to my dad, Remus?" Harry asked frantically.

Harry didn't understand. Severus had been just fine when he left. He wasn't supposed to have gone to a Death Eater meeting. Had he lied to Harry just to keep him from worrying?

"I don't know, Harry," Remus said softly. "Minerva only said that Severus had been injured, she didn't say how it happened."

Harry watched closely as Professor Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey continued to treat his father.

He hadn't even realised that he said aloud as he continued to stare at his father's unconscious form, "It's not fair…it's just not fair. We just found each other."

Harry felt Remus' hands move. Instead of holding him back, Harry felt the strong hand on his head, and Remus pulled a distraught Harry to his chest. The sound of Remus' heartbeat flooded Harry's ears, and somehow, Harry found comfort in it.

"I know, Harry…I know," Remus said understandingly. "I find it hard to believe you two have come so far so quickly. Your mother would be so happy."

Harry silently let the tears flow down his face now. He couldn't stop them if he wanted to. Harry actually felt a little embarrassed that he stood with his face buried in Remus' chest, not to mention that he was soaking the man's shirt, but he couldn't help himself.

The Headmaster and Madam Pomfrey couldn't finish fast enough. The overwhelming urge to go to his dad was getting too strong to ignore. He wanted his dad!

Just when Harry thought he could wait no longer, Madam Pomfrey finished her diagnostics and Dumbledore arose from his father's side.

From the way the Headmaster nodded his head to Remus, Harry knew he was about to be released, and he burst forth from his friend's embrace to Severus' bedside.

"Dad!"

"He cannot hear you, Harry."

Harry was so lost in thought, he almost didn't recognise the Headmaster's voice.

"But why?" Harry asked as he held back a hiccup. "I don't understand!

He looked over his father's body for any visible sign of injury and found none. His dad looked as if he were simply asleep. It was then Harry caught sight of this father's left forearm jutting forth from the rolled-up pyjama sleeve.

His father's Dark Mark was fully exposed. Harry thought he was going to be sick. It looked like a living thing...inflamed and breathing through his father's very skin. I was not the simple inky black tattoo that Harry remembered his dad showing Minister Fudge at the end of last term.

Harry startled when he felt Professor Dumbledore's aging hand rest gently on his shoulder.

"He was Summoned, Harry," Dumbledore began quietly. "Your father refused to answer. Even when he tried to compel your father to go with an Imperius Curse, your father resisted. The only recourse the Dark Lord had was to punish Severus, and I am sorry to say neither of us saw this coming. The longer your father ignored Tom's call…the more pain he inflicted through your father's Mark. The pain became so intense that Madam Pomfrey and I had to induce a coma before the pain killed him or, at the very least, drove him mad."

Harry had never seen the Headmaster look so haggard. Albus Dumbledore looked like he was on the verge of tears himself. The Headmaster was obviously shaken and Harry couldn't help but wonder how badly his father had been tortured before he begged for relief. Whatever his father went through, it was apparently bad enough to unnerve Dumbledore.

Harry did not find the thought comforting in the least.

The most disturbing thought was that his dad had not even been in Voldemort's presence and the bastard could still do something like this.

Harry looked at his father's pale face. It seemed placid enough. He simply looked like he was asleep, but Harry still had to ask, "He can't feel the pain?"

"No Harry, he cannot," the Headmaster said reassuringly "I've helped him to secure his mind deep beneath his shields. He is totally unaware of anything. But he will have to remain this way until we find a way to counteract Voldemort's influence over his Mark."

The Headmaster continued to explain the situation sadly. Harry wasn't certain if the old man was talking to him, or talking to himself. "I blame myself for this. Of course Tom would have other means of controlling his Death Eaters besides the Imperius Curse. Your father regretted his short-sightedness as well. But be that as it may…there was no alternative. No matter what the cost, he could not and would not answer the summons."

Harry's throat felt hot and dry. He could scarcely say, "How long…He…he can't remain like this forever."

Harry took Severus' hand into his, and the other he placed over his father's heart. He hung on every heartbeat and breathed along with his dad's every breath. Harry needed to assure himself that his dad was indeed still alive.

The Headmaster promised solemnly, "We will do all that we can, Harry."

Harry looked up to see Remus standing over the foot of his father's bed. His arms were crossed tightly over his chest and there was an undeniable look of concern over his scar-marked face.

Harry was grateful for his older friend's stability and understanding. As much as Harry loved Sirius, as it was, the relationship between his father and godfather was iffy at best. It made Harry sad to admit it, but he didn't think Sirius would be a great comfort should something happen to Severus Snape.

Remus asked, "Can anything be done, Albus?"

"I must do some research before I can answer that with any certainty, I'm afraid," the Headmaster said. "I'm relatively certain what kind of magic was used to create the Mark…I am less certain of how to counteract it."

Harry felt the Headmaster's warm breath on his neck as the ancient wizard leaned over and whispered softly into his ear, "I will not tell you not to worry, Harry… for I too, am worried. But I promise you this…I will not rest until I find a way to save your father."


As Remus regarded the exchange between the Headmaster and Harry, he could not help but wonder if his young friend was even aware of what Albus was saying. Harry never acknowledged the Headmaster. All of the boy's attention was now obstinately fixed on Severus.

Albus patted Harry on the shoulder once as he stood to leave.

"A word with you, Albus?" Remus requested.

The Headmaster nodded and Remus followed him to the hospital doors. As soon as they were out of Harry's earshot, Remus stopped and softly spoke to Albus while he watched Harry out of his peripheral vision, "The boy…Vincent Crabbe…Does anyone know if he's alright…was Harry's vision true?"

"Someone is ascertaining the answer to that question as we speak," Albus said gravely as he gave one last look at Harry and Severus before he left. "But I can't help but be worried for Harry," Dumbledore confessed. "Severus' mind is whole and intact behind his formidable shields. He is safe, but I'm worried for Harry's well-being. I know I do not have to ask this of you…but please keep an eye on Harry, Remus."

"You're right…you don't have to ask."

The Headmaster reached up and squeezed Remus' shoulder in gratitude and gave a wan smile before he left.

Remus sighed and looked back towards Harry. The boy sat slumped over in an uncomfortable chair, keeping vigil over the father he had only just begun to know. Remus felt for the boy. Couldn't he have one bit of happiness without it being snatched out from under him?

As Remus watched Harry, something else slowly dawned on him. Harry had experienced another physical change. It wasn't subtle either. Remus been so preoccupied, he'd only just noticed that Harry was definitely beginning to look like Severus. Sirius was going to be devastated.

He quietly made his way over to Harry and gently placed his hands on either side of the boy and encouraged him to his feet.

"Harry," he said as he gently coaxed the boy to the bed next to Severus', "You need to get some sleep."

Harry shook his head in protest as Remus transfigured Harry's clothes into pyjamas and began to unlace his trainers.

Remus almost didn't catch Harry's quiet plea of, "Dad?

"…Would want you to get some sleep," Remus said, finishing the boy's sentence for him. "You haven't slept for two days." Remus gently pushed his hands into Harry's chest in order to force the emotionally exhausted boy to lie down. "I will watch your father for you and I promise to wake you up if anything changes."

No sooner had Harry's head hit the pillow than he was fast asleep, and Remus carefully pulled a blanket up over the boy's shoulders.

With a flick of his wrist, he beckoned a chair for himself and placed it strategically between his two charges.

Though he suspected Severus couldn't hear him, Remus still leaned over and whispered into his ear, "Don't worry, Severus, we won't let Harry go through this alone."

Then Remus sat back in the chair and began his vigil. He kept thinking how Sirius desperately wanted to be there with Harry right now…and how much Harry desperately needed him.


As Albus ascended the spiral staircase leading into his office, he began to feel every bit of his one-hundred fourteen years. His quest to find the remaining Horcruxes would have to be put on hold for the time being. Right at the moment, his focus needed to be centred on saving the Death Eater children and finding a way to save Severus.

Then there was Harry. Albus was obviously going to have to continue with the child's Occlumency training. In all honesty, Albus was impressed that the boy had only had this one vision in the past two weeks. Even those who were able to learn the craft seldom did so quickly. But Severus had been a natural Occlumens, and apparently it was a gift that he passed on to his son. Even before learning the at, Harry had been able to resist the Imperius Curse at the gentle age of fourteen. That in itself was a good sign that Harry would do well with Occlumency.

As he approached the inner door to his office, Albus hoped that Lucius would be waiting with some news about the fate of Vincent Crabbe. He earnestly hoped that Harry was wrong, but his instincts told him that it would not be the case. Vincent Crabbe was neither an exemplary student nor an amicable child, but he was Albus' student and a child nonetheless.

When he entered his office, Albus saw that one hope had been realised. He could see the back of Lucius Malfoy's head in the chair before his desk... his perfectly coiffed silver-blond hair pulled back and held with a black silk bow.

Minerva arose from Albus' own chair behind the desk when he entered. Her lips were pursed with her frustration, and she looked every bit the part of an annoyed babysitter. Albus was fully aware that her frustration and annoyance were not solely directed at Lucius. No one had yet to told her why Severus was in a coma.

Albus had his answer regarding Vincent Crabbe as soon as Lucius Malfoy arose and turned to acknowledge his presence. Lucius' face may have remained placid, but real fear flashed in the normally stoic wizard's grey eyes.

Minerva's catlike gaze stayed fixed on Lucius with great suspicion. "Albus," Minerva said. "Mr Malfoy arrived ten minutes ago. He claims to have some information that he can divulge only to you."

Lucius' posture stiffened slightly in what Albus knew was an attempt to project the aristocratic bearing he was known for.

"Ah yes, Minerva…I have been expecting Lucius," Albus said rather easily.

Minerva seemed to deflate slightly at that, whilst a little grin of self-righteousness seemed to twitch the corner of Lucius' lips.

"Please…sit Lucius," Albus motioned graciously as he strode around his desk to his chair. Minerva stepped aside to allow the Headmaster to sit in his rightful place.

"Minerva, if you would…please go to the Hospital Wing. Poppy and Remus Lupin will apprise you of the events thus far. Then if you would be so kind, I need you to inform those at Headquarters as to what has happened."

"Of course, Albus," Minerva said curtly, knowing a dismissal when she was given one. She turned to Lucius as she passed and said tersely, "Good day, Mr Malfoy."

Lucius arose and gave a slight nod, saying only, "Professor McGonagall."

After Minerva left, Lucius lowered himself gracefully to his seat and looked to Albus. Albus could sense that the man was attempting to look passive and to employ whatever brief knowledge of Occlumency Severus had begun to employ. Even as a schoolboy, Lucius Malfoy was a quick learner. He had deserved his place as Prefect and Head Boy. Albus could already detect a faint shield, but it was a weak attempt and easily shattered should Albus choose to do so.


Lucius' tension was palpable and he knew it. He had not been this anxious in front of Albus Dumbledore since the Chamber of Secrets debacle, and he could not believe the mess he had gotten himself into now.

Only the night before, he had taken his first Occlumency lesson with Severus. Lucius' intention was to learn how hide his mind from the Dark Lord and resist the Imperius Curse when the inevitable day came that the Dark Lord would try to force Lucius to kill his own family. But now Severus had fallen victim to the Dark Lord, and look where that left Lucius...spilling the Dark Lord's secrets to his greatest enemy, and Lucius with no way to defend himself from attack once the Dark Lord finally decided to strike.

Lucius may have become disenchanted with his master…he was determined to leave the Death Eaters, even if it meant exile with his family… but never had Lucius even imagined that he would be sitting in Albus Dumbledore's office, fighting a mutual cause with Mudbloods, Half Bloods, Blood Traitors, and Muggle sympathisers.

Granted, Lucius had wanted a way out for some time now…even before the Dark Lord's first downfall.

Lucius had been attracted to The Dark Lord's cause by his promise to return power and status to Purebloods and the power and influence that came with being associated with such a powerful wizard. The chance that Lucius would be able to indulge in some of his baser instincts had also added to the allure.

But after years of torturing and being tortured at the behest of the Dark Lord, Lucius had come to the conclusion that he was on the losing end of a raw deal. He had finally come to realise that the Dark Lord was not an advocate for the Pureblood. The Dark Lord was an advocate for the Dark Lord. He was simply using his Death Eaters as a means to an end…to become immortal.

Lucius was sickened at his own gullibility. He had bought the bastard's rhetoric hook, line, and sinker. Now he was bound to an insane megalomaniac; sycophant…a slave…worse than a house-elf. It was hardly a position worthy of a Malfoy.

"Lucius…what have you discovered? Have our worst fears been realised?" Lucius could not help but wonder if the wizened man before him already knew the answer to his question.

"I am afraid so," Lucius said gravely. "I have just come back from speaking with Elise Crabbe. I will not go into details as to the state she is in as of this moment. Suffice it to say, should Maximilian come home, there will be another homicide to contend with."

Dumbledore nodded his understanding. "And what of Maximilian? Does anybody know his whereabouts? Did he do this intentionally?"

"As to the first…no one knows what has happened to him." The distaste in Lucius' tone was apparent. Not just at what Crabbe had done, but that he was actually giving this information to Albus Dumbledore, of all wizards. He was walking a very fine line, and with one small slip Lucius stood to lose everything in his life that he held dear. If it were only his life at stake, Lucius wouldn't be where he was at that moment. But for the sake of his wife and son, he had to take his chances with these traitors.

Lucius continued debriefing the Head of the Order. "It appears as if he was summoned alone…this bit of news is going through the Death Eater community like…."

Lucius had to stop and bring his emotions into check. As a parent, he felt for Elise and her loss. Lucius didn't know what he would do if something happened to his son. He still hadn't told his son about the fate of his friend. How could he tell Draco that Vincent had been murdered at his father's hand? How could he make Draco understand when Lucius didn't understand himself?

"Nobody knows why Maximilian would kill his only son, or if it was done by his own will," Lucius said miserably. "But that doesn't matter, does it? His son is still dead."

Lucius swallowed hard. The lump he forced down his throat was what was left of his pride, but he had to ask nonetheless. "Headmaster…do you…do you know why the Dark Lord would be asking his own Death Eaters to sacrifice their children?"

"I take it that you have not read the potion instructions then, Lucius?"

Malfoy gave a slight shake of his head. "I only know its name…I surmised the Dark Lord's intention when he asked us to present our children. What good would it do? I read Latin…but the theory would have been Greek to me."

The Headmaster just nodded gravely. "It seems that in order for the potion to work…it requires a willing sacrifice. Apparently Riddle is delusional enough to believe that his followers would gladly sacrifice their children for him. I believe that he would curse the dissenters into doing so anyway…as punishment. He may even curse them into believing that they had done so willingly…so as not to lose their loyalty. This monstrous act becomes even more so when one realises that the sacrifice must be totally willing for the potion to work. If Maximilian was compelled to kill his son, the sacrifice will not work and the boy truly died for nothing."

Lucius throat burned with pent back bile. He intended to ask what this bloody potion was meant to do. But did it matter? Vincent was still dead. The other children would still be dead.

Lucius came to a sudden realisation. The Dark Lord must die! If that meant soiling himself by allying with the Order, so be it!

"Do any of your… associates… know of Voldemort's intentions?" Lucius flinched at Dumbledore's casual mention of the Dark Lord's name.

"No…" Lucius said as calmly as he could though his burgeoning headache. "Undoubtedly, that is why he will Summon us on an individual basis, so we will be blinded to his true intentions. Otherwise he would risk open rebellion."

The Headmaster and Lucius startled at the same time… perhaps both coming up with the stirrings of the same idea.

"Lucius…would you be willing to continue your Occlumency training under my tutelage?" Dumbledore queried. "And are you willing to grant your services in a more meaningful way?"


By the time Lucius Malfoy finally left Albus' office, Albus was encouraged despite himself. It was a stroke of genius on Severus' part to seek an alliance with Lucius Malfoy. Lucius had not only agreed to continue his training under Albus…every night…but he had also agreed to permanently take on Severus' role as a double agent.

But it would take time before Lucius could set their new plan into motion. Unfortunately, there was not much left of that particular commodity.

Albus also needed to find a way to counteract Riddle's Mark. Now it was not just Severus's life at stake…but the life of every Death Eater who wished to save their child. After all…Severus was actually "lucky." He at least had his Occlumency skills to help him block the pain from the Mark within the confines of his coma. The others would not be so fortunate. The others would either be forced to kill their children or families…or be tortured into madness and death. Either way, it was a potential mass slaughter in the making.


Four days had passed.

Harry never left the hospital. He hadn't bothered to bathe or shave since he began his vigil, and he knew that no matter how many freshening spells he performed on himself, he still likely smelled like a troll's dirty sock. Thank goodness Hermione thought to bring his toothbrush, insisting that Harry brush his teeth. Otherwise, Harry was sure his teeth would be growing fur by now.

His friends had come to visit him and Severus every day, even though Harry did not feel much like visiting. Sirius had even managed to come over once in the form of "Snuffles" until Madam Pomfrey shooed the big black dog from her hospital ward. It wasn't that Harry didn't want his friends around. It was just that all of his thoughts remained with his dad, and Harry knew he wasn't good company.

Yesterday, Ron and Hermione had finally managed to convince Harry to eat something, reminding him of what Severus would have to say if he found out Harry hadn't been eating properly.

Miraculously, Harry had managed to get some restful sleep. In fact, Remus had found Harry reluctant to wake up. Harry's dreams had been peaceful. Every night, Harry dreamed that he was a waterfall. But this time, he was falling over a great cliff and into the sea. There was something oddly familiar about this sea. Somehow…he could sense his father's presence there and it made him feel at ease.

At this moment Harry was on the other side of the privacy screen as Madam Pomfrey tended to Severus' morning ablutions. Remus had just returned after breakfast and was quietly reading a book in the corner.

After what seemed like forever to Harry, Madam Pomfrey removed the screen and said, "You may visit with your father now, Mr Potter."

Harry took what had become his chair, close to Severus' bedside. He held his father's hand and studied the older man's face. Harry had made a habit of doing that lately. The more Harry studied his father, the more he saw himself in the man, and Harry had come to the conclusion that it was not necessarily a bad thing. Sometime during the summer, Professor Snape had disappeared and had been replaced with this man that Harry had come to call "Dad." It was a comforting thought, and it made Harry unconsciously smile.

His father's face had become shadowed with dark stubble and Harry decided something had to be done about it. Severus wouldn't abide such a slovenly appearance, coma or no coma.

"Madam Pomfrey…is there something that could be done about my dad's face?"

"What's wrong with his face?" Madam Pomfrey asked in alarm. Harry rolled his eyes because she looked like she was studying Severus' face, thinking that he had somehow been injured. Did she think he had gotten into a fight lying there like a toppled statue?

"His beard, Madam Pomfrey," Harry snapped a bit impatiently. He regretted his temper, but she was overlooking the obvious. "Is it possible to remove his beard?"

"Oh…of course, Mr Potter," she said with a slight hint of embarrassment. With a quick flick of her wand, the offending facial hair was gone and she left Harry alone with his father.

"Sorry about that, Dad." Harry had gotten into the habit of speaking to his father over the past four days. It made him feel as if they were still connected, and despite what others might think, Harry felt as if his father could hear him.

"I know you wouldn't like if people were to see you scruffy like that. But it is a nice look for you," Harry added cheekily. "It makes you look rugged."


He was late.

Damn him!

As Lucius Malfoy sat impatiently waiting for the Headmaster, he wondered where the old coot could possibly be now. As always, Lucius was there exactly on time for his daily Occlumency lesson. He had given up his mid-mornings to accommodate these infernal sessions.

Lucius loathed having Albus Dumbledore poking around his head every morning. Yet to Lucius' utter amazement, Dumbledore had not asked him to confess or explain his myriad past sins.

The lessons themselves were progressing quite well. It was astonishing what one was capable of learning when the threat of one's child's life loomed over one's head. Lucius took his Occlumency training very seriously. Now, if the demented old wizard who was teaching him would only afford him the same courtesy...

After another agonising ten minutes, Lucius had enough waiting. He decided to take it upon himself to go down and look for Dumbledore. He was fairly certain that if Dumbledore was anywhere he would be in the hospital with Severus.

Lucius berated himself for not checking in on Severus before now. Besides…looking in on his old colleague would give him just the excuse he needed to wander down to the Hospital Wing.

He should have known that Snape was different than the others.

The Potions Master had always managed to distance himself and keep his hands clean, even amongst the Dark Lord's most vile filth. Severus had always used the excuse that he couldn't produce effective potions for the Dark Lord if his soul was tainted by participating in some of the Dark Lord's favourite debaucheries. Frankly, Lucius always thought the excuses were a load of codswallop and lo and behold, he had been proved right. Now he could kick himself for not thinking of a similar excuse.

Lucius did owe Severus a debt. For the first time in as long as he could remember, Lucius felt that he finally had control of his own fate, and it was because of Severus.

As Lucius approached the Hospital Wing he could hear voices drifting into the corridor. He stopped just short of the entrance, unsure how his presence would be taken by certain others.

"Your father is doing well…I have helped him reinforce his shields. He is still in no pain."

That statement made Lucius pause.

Father?

Did Severus have a child? That was certainly news. Lucius had been wrong about Severus in more ways than one. Severus Snape did know what it was like to have a child. Lucius thought he knew Severus Snape like none other; now it was apparent that he did not know the man at all. How many other secrets had Severus successfully hidden over the years?

"Are you any closer to finding an answer, Albus?"

Lucius recognised the voice of the werewolf, Remus Lupin.

"I am fairly sure that it is a variation of a Protean Charm. I will need to discern exactly how Voldemort modified the charm before I can devise a way to counter it."

Lucius' arm twitched with pain when the Headmaster said the Dark Lord's name.

Must the old fool do that? Lucius thought irritatedly to himself.

"Before we go any further, Albus…you should be aware that there is someone standing outside the door listening." Lucius was certain Lupin had not heard him, but he damned the werewolf's sense of smell.

"That would be Lucius," Dumbledore said without concern. "I'm late for our Occlumency lesson…do come in, Lucius."

"Malfoy!" Lucius heard a voice call out in contempt. He knew that voice.

As he rounded the door, Lucius said reciprocally, "Mr Potter."

But Lucius did not understand. Here was the Headmaster, the werewolf, and the Boy-Who-Lived, but where was this mysterious child of Sever…

"Oh my…" Lucius breathed as the realisation dawned upon him. He looked at Severus and then back to the Potter boy. Lucius had not seen the whelp since the night at the graveyard, but the boy had definitely changed. The resemblance between Severus and Potter was unmistakable.

"Of course you realise that I will insist upon an Unbreakable Vow to ensure your silence in this matter, Lucius," Dumbledore said. The pointed look the Headmaster gave Lucius from behind his ridiculous half-moon glasses made it clear to Lucius that it was not a request.

Knowing that Dumbledore would not hesitate to Obliviate him if he refused, Lucius said the only thing he could. "Of course, Headmaster."

"What is he doing here?" the Potter bra…Severus' son spat.

Dumbledore answered before Lucius had the opportunity. "As I have already stated, Harry, I am late for our Occlumency lesson."

"You're giving him lessons too?" Potter asked accusingly.

"Your father explained the necessity to you, Harry. I am simply taking over in his stead. And as circumstances have become more…pressing…Mr Malfoy's lessons have been augmented to a daily basis."

Malfoy stood there and listened to the entire exchange with disdain. Honestly, Potter's audacity needed to be nipped in the bud. If the Headmaster ever found a way to bring Snape out of his coma, Lucius would have to give Severus a little advice on how to raise a proper wizarding son.

Malfoy assessed Severus' son with sharp eyes. Had this thin, dishevelled, impudent teen really bested the Dark Lord?

Of course he had. Lucius had seen it with his own eyes.

When he stopped to think back upon it now…Lucius was impressed. Who in their right mind wouldn't be? The Dark Lord was at he height of his power when he duelled Potter—and Potter had lived to tell the tale. The boy never backed down…never once did he cave in to his fear. Lucius could not say as much.

"How did you do it, Potter?"

"What?" The boy gave Lucius a strange, contorted look that indicated he was absolutely clueless.

"That night…how did you best the Dark Lord?"


A revelation suddenly struck Albus like a thunderbolt as he listened to Lucius question Harry.

Harry's wand shared a core with Tom's. Albus was certain that was why Harry's wand had inadvertently cast the Priori Incantatem that night in the graveyard. But perhaps there was more to it. There was also Harry's mental bond with Tom to be considered.

"Surely it can't be that simple?" mused Albus aloud.

Remus gave him a quizzical look. "Simple…what is simple, Headmaster?"

Albus did not answer the question. He had to see if he was right. A part of him knew he was, but he had to be certain.

"Harry…come with me," Albus said mildly as he guided the confused boy over to his father's bedside.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I'm Back! I can't tell you how sorry I am that it has been so long, but I have been a VERY sick girl these past few months. But let me say that it's good to be back.

Not to mention, this chapter was another one I had to tear up and piece back together. As you can tell, a lot of POV changes, but I've dealt with them the best I could without changing the story out-right. I hope you enjoy, and I promise not to take three months to update again (baring hospital stays and the like, that is. I wasn't in the hospital three months, but it took quite a while to regain my energy :P).

I hope it will only be a couple of weeks before my next post, but if it is later, Have a Happy Christmastide…a Happy Yule…a Happy Hanukah…Happy Kwanza…Happy New Year, and just happy days all together.

~TTFN
Missyann

OH…And check out my Marauder's Era story, "Severus Snape and the Potion Master's Daughter" at FFNet under the penname Imablack. It is a totally Severus-centric general-romance (no smut). I like it. :D

12/12/11: I would like to give my thanks and welcome to my new beta for ACaF, badgerlady. I really look forward to working with her and making this story the best it can be.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2564