Along Came a Family by missyanne
Summary: Severitus-beginning between years four and five. Harry is overcome with guilt over the death of Cedric Diggory and has isolated himsef from those who care. A strange gift arrives on his fifteenth birthday that changes everything.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lucius, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 179510 Read: 210531 Published: 06 Jun 2011 Updated: 29 Oct 2020
An Unwelcome Change in Perspective by missyanne
Author's Notes:
Harry gets Sirius' side of what happened between his mother and Snape, and doesn't like what he hears.

Once again, Severus was heading back down to his dungeons after a very disturbing meeting with the Headmaster. But this time his pace was slower.

No…this time he wasn't angry. He was…uneasy.

Severus had been summoned to a meeting with the Dark Lord…a private meeting. To say that Severus was on edge was an understatement to say the least.

Oh, he had not been the target of the Dark Lord's ire...not this time at any rate. No, it was the subject of the meeting with the deranged lunatic that had knocked ten bells out of Severus. So much so… he had told Albus that his effectiveness as a spy would soon be in question. It was not a question of 'if'-but 'when'.

How could Severus possibly carry out the task the Dark Lord had set for him?

"Sacrificum Abalienatio Haeres," he whispered the name of the ancient potion softly to himself.

Sacrifice of the Scions. Sacrifice of the Firstborn, thought Severus of its true meaning.

The Dark Lord wanted a potion made with the blood sacrifice of firstborn wizarding children. But why? What was the purpose of such a thing? Whose children?

Severus had sacrificed his principles more times than he cared to admit in order to stay within the Dark Lord's good graces and remain an effective spy for the Order. Though they were not as frequent, he still had nightmares over many of the potions he had brewed for the Dark Lord and the suffering he knew they caused. Severus had also brewed antidotes for them all…but this…this Severus could never abide and he could never forgive himself if he followed through.

There was no question about that. He would turn his wand on himself before he would create such an elixir.

Well…at least there was one ray of sunshine in this whole mess. Nobody actually knew the formula for the damn thing. The Dark Lord had only found an obscure reference to it in some ancient tome and decided it would suit his purpose... whatever his demented purpose was this week.

The Dark Lord had sent his minions out all over the Wizarding world trying to find any archaic reference to the potion. That was why his return had been marked with such relative calm. He had spread his reserves too thin to cause any real havoc thus far.

What troubled Severus most, was that he knew that no good would come from any outcome of this particular quest. If his followers failed, the Dark Lord's wrath would flow far beyond his circle of Death Eaters. If it succeeded…well…that was unthinkable.

Severus was also keenly aware that his days as a mole inside the Dark Lord's inner circle were numbered. One way or another, he would be exposed as a traitor. The question was, would he escape before the Dark Lord had his way with him?

Severus wasn't afraid to die. But he wasn't ready to die now, and not at the hands of the Dark Lord if it could be helped. He'd like to outlive the war…Thank you very much.

Unlike Black, Severus had no worries about becoming useless to the Order. Severus may lose his place as spy within the Inner Circle, however, that is not to say that he does not have other effective means of subterfuge at his disposal. Severus could always find a way to be useful.

Severus reached the entrance to his private chamber.

He put his hand on the brick wall and whispered his password low and softly, as if he were reciting a prayer, "Quiesco Hyacinthus."

A door slowly materialised from the wall, as if the stone had turned to a liquid, then back to a solid again. Severus tapped his wand and was admitted entrance into his lonely sanctuary.


Severus sat in his favourite squishy chair and debated between Dreamless Sleep or single malt. The Red Label was quite tempting, but Severus did need to get up early and Apparate to Diagon Alley in the morning.

He needed to purchase potion supplies for the school stores. It wouldn't do to purchase them through Owl Post. He would not have the opportunity to personally scrutinise the quality of the merchandise.

As a result, Severus summoned a Dreamless Sleep potion, reluctantly arose from his comfortable chair, and slowly made his way down the hall to his bedchamber. He finished his final ablutions, dressed in his dark green cotton pyjamas and downed his potion before he climbed into bed.

Thinking back on the conversation with Albus, he had agreed with his mentor. Severus must remain in the Dark Lord's confidence as long as possible. If the formula existed, it must be found and destroyed. Not only that, they must know why the fiend would have a use for such a gruesome elixir.

Out of all of his years as a spy, Severus knew these final days would be the most harrowing and dangerous in his entire life.

It was not a situation conducive to a good night's sleep.


Severus entered quickly into his quarters after he relieved himself of his purchases by placing them into the classroom stores. He could have delegated the work to the house-elves, but Severus didn't trust the high-strung little creatures to handle some of the more delicate or volatile ingredients. Thus, the task took up nearly half of his day.

He hung his cloak on a hook in the entrance-way and went to his kitchen to brew a spot of tea. As he was measuring his tea leaves he stopped. He could feel his forehead crease as he realised that something about his chambers were different.

Teapot in hand, Severus slowly made his way out to his sitting room. His eyes narrowed as they scanned about and noticed that something seemed off about the corridor that led to his bedchamber and private study.

"What the Bloody Hell?" He was not sure if he was confused, scared, or just plain pissed off.

The corridor had been lengthened and there was an additional door to the right.

Severus cautiously and silently step his way down the hall, unsure of who or what he might find behind any given door.

Slowly he opened the first door. It was his study. He stood there deflated…almost disappointed that something hadn't jumped out at him. Now he was confused. His study had been located directly across from his bedchamber. How did it find its way to the front of the hall?

He closed that door and carefully approached the next room. Gingerly, he opened the door as if Fluffy would suddenly lunge at him. The room came into full view and Severus eyes gleamed with rage. There was only one person who could have done this!

He rushed back down the hall and into the sitting room and tossed the empty teapot on the sofa. He snatched the box of Floo powder from the mantle and chucked a handful of glittering powder into the fireplace.

He stuck his head into the green flame and bellowed, "ALBUS DUMBLEDORE…GET YOUR ARSE IN MY CHAMBERS NOW, OLD MAN!"

Severus did not have to wait long for the Headmaster. It was as if the Headmaster were waiting for Severus' fire-call. Severus scarcely had time to step aside before Albus made his usual, regal entrance from the Floo.

"No need to shout Severus, I can hear you quite well," he said, unaffected by Severus' rage. There were only two people on the planet that could ever get away with speaking to Albus Dumbledore in such a manner. Fortunately for Severus, he was one of them.

"Follow me," Severus commanded in a voice that would make his students…and many adults…quake in fear of being condemned to a potion's cauldron.

Severus stormed down the corridor with the Headmaster in tow. He flung open the door to the offending room. Refusing to enter, Severus stepped to the far side of the door jam. He stood straight, taking advantage of his height so to look as intimidating as possible. With one arm crossed over his chest and the other extended towards the door, one long finger pointed inside the room accusingly.

"What…is that?" If Severus teeth were ground any harder, they would turn to dust.

Dumbledore stood across the door from Severus with his hands casually tucked in his robe pockets. He leaned slightly to look into the room as if a curious child. He straightened himself and looked dead serious... if it wasn't for that damnable twinkle in his eyes.

"That, Severus," Dumbledore said as if Severus had been clueless, "is a bedchamber. You're an intelligent man with a keen sense of observation. One would think that you could see that which is right before your eyes."

The pain from his grinding teeth was now giving Severus a headache. He had to calm himself before he let some very colourful epithets fly at his employer. Severus was known for his temper, but if he wanted to keep his tenure, he'd better calm down. Cursing your employer with a Crucio did not look good on a resume.

Despite his now searing headache, Severus still kept his teeth clenched. Of course it made him that much more tense when he said, "Of course I know what it is. Now, tell me why there is an additional room in my private chambers?"

The Headmaster still had his hands in his pockets. He seemed as if he were about to burst if he could not tell his secret because now he was bouncing on his heels. He looked as though he was entirely having too much fun at Severus' expense.

Try though the old bird might, Albus failed miserably in keeping the grin from his face any longer. "Whilst you were out, I took the liberty to fashion a room for Harry."

He looked so damn proud of himself…Severus just wished he could smack him. But that wouldn't look good on a resume either. It was frowned upon only slightly less than a Crucio.

"You took the liber…" Severus started, trying to fathom what the meddling old coot had done. His gall was unbelievable.

Severus took a cleansing breath and regained his composure. "And why…pray tell… does Potter require a room in my private quarters?" Severus said, emphasising the word 'private' once again.

"Were you not the one who stated that a trusting and personal relationship was required to learn Occlumency?" Albus casually reminded him.

But Severus had a valid counter-point on the Headmaster's argument. At least he thought he did.

"As I recall, I remained in the Slytherin dormitory whilst I was under your tutelage," he reminded his mentor. "I fail to see why Potter cannot remain in his Den of Lions?"

Albus finally stopped his bouncing, which was great because Severus was about to hex him with a Sticking Charm. "Ah...But Severus, we were not under the burden of the palpable animosity that exists between yourself and young Mr Potter," he said prompting the younger man's memory. "I believe that a closer proximity is in order so to more rapidly facilitate a bond between you two."

"More rapidly facilitate one of us to an early grave is more like it," Severus ground out. "You have heard of the old adage 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'?"

If the Headmaster smiled any broader, Severus would be tempted to start counting his teeth. Then to add insult to injury, Albus guided Severus back down the corridor of the Potion Master's own chamber and began to pat him on the shoulder like a petulant three-year old. "There, there, my boy. That is not in this case at all.' Albus patronised.

There would be no choices between a Sleeping Draught and single malt tonight. Yes indeed…as soon as that old meddler was gone, Severus decided that he was going to find that bottle of Red Label and get completely minced.


The tension at Number Twelve Grimmauld Place was thick enough to walk across. Harry was alone in the sitting room waiting for the Headmaster to take him to Hogwarts. His friends had just gone downstairs to dinner. Harry had refused to join them.

Sirius was down there, and Harry had no desire to see the man. They had had a big fight earlier that afternoon.

A BIG fight.

Harry couldn't believe that his was the type of man his father had befriended. The row with Sirius had been so ugly, Harry had begun questioning his own father's integrity. To say that Harry felt disturbed about it was like saying that kissing a Dementor left one feeling a bit out of sorts.

His friends had followed Harry into the sitting room after his fight with his godfather. Harry had tolerated their presence for a time. Although he would have rather have been alone, they were still his friends and he did not want to alienate them too. As frayed as Harry's nerves were, he could not afford to lose his friends, for he was certain he had just lost his godfather.

Yet, try as everybody might, no one could really understand what Harry was going through, could they?

After all, Harry had been subject to fame he did not want, and frankly thought he did not deserve.

All of his life he had been a target, at 'home' by his uncle's temper and his cousin's constant bullying…and in the Wizarding world by some demented megalomaniac.

As long as Harry was the only one getting hurt, he could deal with it. But now the minutia of his life was changing and was spinning out of control and there was nothing Harry could do to stop it.

The first of Harry's friends had already fallen victim. When Harry offered to share the Tri-Wizard cup with Cedric, it was as much an act of fidelity as it was of good sportsmanship. The look on Cedric's face when he took the cup with Harry confirmed as much. It would have been the beginning of a lifelong friendship.

But look where Harry's offer of friendship had landed Cedric. No sooner had the older boy accepted Harry's act of friendship, he was dead. Was that the fate that awaited everyone he cared about, dead at the hands of the deluded freak?

As if Harry wasn't carrying around enough emotional baggage, then came the revelation about Snape and his mother. Harry knew that he wasn't at fault for something that happened before he was born. He also knew that he was undeserving of is professor's vitriol over the last four years. But Harry felt as if he carried the burden of his father's sins.

Now Harry was being forced to spend the summer with his least favourite professor. The same man his mother had betrayed so many years ago. How was he ever going to face his Potion's Master? Harry had no clue.

Harry wanted to hide. No…it wasn't from any tangible fear. Harry wanted to hide from his own runaway emotions. He wanted to hide and get away before they really caught up with him.

When Mrs Weasley called everyone to dinner they all went with the exception of Harry. Harry couldn't hold down anything if he tried. And he couldn't stand to be in the same room as his godfather. Not now.

Earlier that afternoon Harry thought he would relieve himself of a least part of his cares. Maybe finding out more about his parents and Snape would help put at least some things in perspective. Harry decided to confide in his godfather. He had never had an adult to turn to with his troubles before.

That's what godparents are there for right? Harry thought.

Well…that's what Harry thought.


Harry found Sirius and Remus in the study playing a game of Wizard's Chess in front of the window. He neglected to close the door behind him.

Both men looked up from the game at once with wide grins plastered across their faces.

"Harry! Come…join us," Remus offered as Sirius conjured up a chair between them.

Of the two men, it was obvious that Remus was the more comfortable around Harry. Remus and Harry had nearly a year to get to know each other when he was Harry's professor two years ago.

Sirius, on the other hand, was obviously nervous. Harry wasn't sure why. Perhaps he knew that this may be his last chance with Harry before Snape got hold of him. Sirius seemed a little unsure of what to say or do and he let Remus lead off the conversation. Harry wished Sirius would say something.

"Your eye is looking better I see," Remus noticed as he tapped at his own eye.

Harry touched his hand to where the bruise began to fade. "Yeah…Mrs Weasley's balm helped. I still have a scratch though," Harry hadn't noticed the scratch until the bruising had almost completely faded.

"Wel,l I'm sure Severus will have something to take care of that once you get to Hogwarts," Remus added helpfully.

The name of Sirius' old nemesis was enough to lure him right into the conversation. "What makes you think that rat's bastard will lift a finger to help Harry!" he practically spat the sentence at Remus for even suggesting that Snape would do anything kind for Harry.

Harry knew he was here to elicit information about Professor Snape from Remus and his godfather, but apparently Harry's black eye wasn't as important to Sirius as insulting Professor Snape.

"Severus is not going to do anything to harm Harry. Especially right under the Headmaster's nose," Remus said calmly as if he had years of practice of having to talk sense into Sirius.

Harry watched the exchange between the two older wizards like a Muggle tennis match.

"The Headmaster can't be there all of the time, now can he? Who's to say that Snivellus won't try something whilst the Headmaster's gone? Son of a bitch is probably ready to piss his pants. Can't wait to take Harry to You-Know-Who!" Sirius ranted.

Harry noticed the impatient edge creeping into Remus' voice. "Severus is a spy, Sirius…for our side! Dumbledore has complete trust in the man. We should afford him the same courtesy,"

The heat in Sirius voice began to rise too, "Well, forgive me if I don't have the same confidence in the Headmaster's judgment as the rest of you lot. No one else had to spend twelve years in Azkaban for a crime they didn't commit! He could spare time to save his precious Snape, but never once did he try to defend me!"

There was no arguing that point. Harry had thought the same thing on more than one occasion over the last year.

Remus stiffened, suddenly remembering that Harry was in the room. Turning his attention to Harry, he tried to change the topic.

"Harry, how's your homework coming along? Is there anything that we can help you with?" Remus obviously had suspected that his was the reason that Harry had sought them out. After all, Harry had been immersed in his studies practically since the moment he arrived.

"Actually, my homework is coming along fine," Harry said almost too quietly. He suddenly found the pattern of the carpet interesting. "I've finished my Charm's essay and I can finish Transfiguration tomorrow. I have to wait to get to Hogwarts before I can begin my Potion's work. I need access outdoors," he glanced over at Sirius who was having a hard time holding his tongue.

"Oh…and thank you for the broom case Sirius, it's brilliant," he had almost forgotten to thank his godfather for the birthday gift and hoping it would open the man up a bit more. He had almost forgotten that he had ever received it. But he could see that his gesture of thanks had lightened the man's mood a bit.

"Would you care to join one of us in a game then?" Remus said, trying to keep up the cheerful conversation.

Harry could not hide his nervousness because he already saw how sore the subject of Severus Snape was to his godfather.

"Not really. Actually I was going to ask you some questions about my mother," Sirius flashed a huge grin for a split second, "and Professor Snape," then his grin turned to a frown in an instant.

Harry could tell that Remus was going to say something, but Sirius' eyes had told Remus that he wanted to do it. Harry could almost see Sirius count to ten in his brain in an effort to regain his composure.

"What is it you would like to know, Harry?" Sirius said, seemingly in all sincerity.

Harry gave a sigh of relief. Maybe this was not going to be as hard as he had originally thought it would be.

"Did you know that my mother was engaged to Professor Snape?"

"Not at first," said Sirius as if he were half expecting the question. "Snape and your mother were good friends during school and they started dating seventh year. Nobody could ever figure out what she saw in him. How did you find out?"

Harry tried to keep the annoyance out of his voice for the next question. "My Aunt Petunia. Why did no one ever think to tell me?"

"Harry, I can't answer for anyone else," Remus nodded towards Sirius. "But I honestly never thought it was worth telling. Frankly, There was nothing to be gained from knowing and as your behaviour indicates now, you would have only found the news upsetting."

"Well, it sure explains a whole hell of a lot!" Harry exclaimed. "Did it ever occur to you what they had done to him?"

If Harry could read his godfather's mind he would know that Sirius frankly didn't give a damn what they did to Snivellus. But he thought he should give Harry an explanation. "We were all in Auror training together after we left Hogwarts. Your mum and James were friendly together by then, although I must admit, the extent of their relationship had come as a surprise even to me. They had obviously become closer than the rest of us had realised."

"Harry, people can't help who they fall in love with," Remus tried to say reasonably. "It was something that just happened."

Harry could not believe that he was about to defend Snape. But Harry couldn't help but to feel incensed upon behalf of his professor.

"Just happened? It sounds like a bloody thin excuse and a ruddy low thing to do, if you ask me. How did they give Snape the news?"

"Does it really matter? Snape didn't deserve her. Lily just finally came to her sense that's all," said Sirius as if trying to make Harry see reason, "she realised that your father was the better man."

Harry shook his head because he could not believe his ears. How could Sirius be so callous? "The better man? Was she unhappy? Did Snape ever hurt her? What indication was there after all of those years that James Potter was suddenly a better man than Severus Snape?"

Harry's chest was heaving, he was so outraged. What kind of people did this to another person?

"What I want to know is what the bloody hell Mum ever saw in the likes of Dad!" He also wanted to know what she saw in the likes of Snape in the first place and what had caused her to leave, but that conversation was for another man.

Sirius stood from his chair and cried out, "HARRY! I will not stand by while you besmirch your father's name like that! Especially in defence of that…that," apparently he couldn't think of anything bad enough to call Snape, as if the argument was somehow all Snape's fault. "You make it sound as if James had Confunded your mother!"

"Did he?"

Harry left Sirius and Remus dumbstruck.

He had turned on his heels and strode out the door. If Harry had been wearing robes, they would have billowed. It was actually a very good imitation of the Potion's Master.

When Harry approached the stairs, he noticed all of his friends gathered on the second floor landing looking down at him. He looked down the stairs and realized the elder Weasley's were staring up. The entire household had just heard everything.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2564