The Veil by Saphire_Rose
Summary: After the incident at the Ministry at the end of Harry's fifth year Fudge is in damage control mode. He passes a law for the execution of anyone with the Dark Mark.

Severus and Harry haven't known for long that they are father and son, will Fudge's new law tear them apart or will Harry's 'luck' see them through?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 21609 Read: 53213 Published: 09 Jun 2011 Updated: 27 Jul 2019
Chapter 7 – Revelations by Saphire_Rose

Merlin summoned a piece of parchment and laid it on the table in front of Severus and Harry.  On it was an enlarged picture of Harry’s tattoo and they could clearly see the four animals of the Founders. “Well that explains why I recognised some of the elements,” said Severus, “What are the rest?”

Merlin spoke about the sword’s blade first. He explained that it was half gold and half silver to represent both Light and Dark. “This crest,” he said pointing to the one above the sword “is mine.”

It was Azure (blue) with a Cerberus over a sword. The old wizard had chosen a Cerberus because it was said to represent ‘Guardian’ as well as ‘Past, present, and future.’ He thought it suited him. The sword was Excalibur. From there he explained the others.

On the left of the blade and closet to the hilt was a ‘per bend’ (divided diagonally) shield. The upper right was Vert (green) with Slytherin’s snake; the lower left was Argent (white) with a silver crown over crossed swords to represent the Prince family. Severus had explained that his mother had been the last to hold the Prince name and that had been denied it by his grandfather because he was not pureblood.

Above that was another ‘per bend’ shield. The upper half was Azure with Ravenclaw’s eagle. The lower was Ermine (white with black spots), a protector helmet with a gold and blue wreath representing the Snape family. Severus had been quite surprised to find that his father was a descendant of Rowena Ravenclaw since his father had no magic.

On the right of the blade and closet to the hilt was a ‘per bend’ shield. The upper was Erminois (gold with black spots) with Hufflepuff’s badger. The lower was Maroon with a fleur-de-lis over an open book. Merlin had explained that Lily’s mother was a descendant of French nobility as well as Helga Hufflepuff.

The last was ‘per bend’ with the upper being Gules (red) with Gryffindor’s lion. The lower was Vair (Blue and white bell-shaped markings) with laurel leaves and a torch.  Lily’s father had been a direct descendant of Godric himself. They had dropped half of the family name in the late eighteen hundreds so they would not be connected with some vicious rumours that were going around at the time.

Harry had listened intently when he and Severus had been told about their linage. The teen was amazed that he came from such long lines. He had been quite overwhelmed when Merlin started explaining. He had gone from being an unloved, unwanted burden at the start of the school year, to finding he had a father that had wanted him and did love him to having a vast majority of Wizarding Britain directly and indirectly related to him.

Merlin and the others told them that the tattoos would not have appeared unless they were the true heirs. Harry had asked why he had three of his father’s crests when his father was still alive. “You are my heir Harry. I don’t have to be dead for that to be recognised,” his father had said with a smile. “I hope to be around for a long time yet, even if that means spending the rest of our days living here.”

“You will be able to return to your realm soon enough Severus,” Levi said.

“It just won’t be right away,” added Ezra.

“Why not?” Harry asked.

“We want to train you for the coming battle,” Patches chimed in.

“We all have different skills we can teach you Harry. Skills that may or may not help but are worth learning,” Olinda spoke up.

“Harry we had planned on approaching you and Severus during the next summer. Your ‘unfortunate mishap’ has allowed us to bring it forward,” Merlin said.

“What part do the Founders play in this?” Severus had asked.

 “That is something we don’t know. It’s possible they have talents to share too we just don’t know,” Merlin said.

“We know how to summon them. We just need something from each of them. Unfortunately there is a problem there,” Firenze spoke up.

“What kind of problem?” Severus asked.

“Harry do you remember the time in the forest when you came across the ‘Shade of Voldemort’ feeding on a unicorn?” Firenze asked. Harry nodded. “That encounter made us wonder how he still existed, we had our suspicions. In your second year when you destroyed that diary it confirmed what we thought that Voldemort had made one if not more Horcruxes.”

“What’s a Horcrux?” the teen asked then wished he hadn’t after they explained.

“We have found four more of them and believe there may be another inside that snake of his,” Ezra said.

“There was a seventh but it was destroyed within minutes of him making it. The night he killed you mother part of his soul lodged within you. When he tried to kill you he inadvertently destroyed part of his soul instead. The backlash destroyed his body,” Levi added.

“So how are the possessions of the Founders and the Horcruxes linked?” Snape asked.

“Riddle, Voldemort, used the items to house the soul fragments in. We are hoping that a potion made from basilisk venom will destroy the fragments but not items,” Olinda said. “That’s where you come in Severus. Besides being trained to fight alongside your son we were hoping you would research a potion. We have a state of the arts lab here, fully equipped and well stocked.”

“So you have basilisk venom?” Snape enquired.

“Not yet. We’re looking for some,” Patches said.

“What about the one in the chamber? It’s still there just dead,” Harry offered.

“We don’t want anyone to know that you are both still alive yet. How can we get to the chamber without anyone seeing us?” Ezra asked.

“Not us just Dad and I. You can’t get in unless you speak Parseltongue. Dad knows what he needs off the snake’s body. We could have Winky apparate us straight into Myrtle’s bathroom. No-one goes in there any way,” the boy said.

Severus looked at his son. He was curious as to how Harry knew about Myrtle and her bathroom but he let it slide for now, instead he asked “What are the items? I need to know so that I can gather enough venom. I’ll harvest other parts as well as they might be just as useful.”

“Winky and Patches would you fetch the items please? Olinda could you get a pair of dragon-hide gloves for Severus please?” Merlin asked.

Levi stood up and walked away from the table. “Harry come stand over here with me please. These items are dark and you don’t need to be exposed to them,” he told the boy.

Olinda returned with the gloves and soon after Winky and Patches returned carrying a locked trunk between them. The others helped lift it onto the table and then stepped back. Merlin took out an ornate key from his robe pocket and unlocked the trunk saying “We don’t use any magic near this chest or its contents. It’s safer that way.” He stood back and instructed Snape to put on the gloves then open the lid.

Inside lying on a bed of straw were a goblet, a tiara, a locket and a ring. As Severus carefully lifted each one out Merlin briefly explained its history. The first was goblet wrought in gold with a badger engraved on it. The older wizard confirmed it was Hufflepuff’s and went on to say that it had been found in one of Bellatrix LeStrange’s vaults. The goblins had been quite happy to surrender it once they verified it did indeed house Voldemort’s soul fragment.

Next he withdrew the ring. In Severus’ opinion it was rather ugly, fashioned from gold with a large dark stone. The ring had originally belonged to Gryffindor but he had given it to Slytherin when Salazar had said he liked it. It had been handed down through the family. Riddle’s mother had once owned it.

The tiara was bought out next; it was wrought in silver and set with semiprecious and precious gems. The most ornate feature were mirror image Rs made up of sapphires. Winky had found it discarded in some obscure room at Hogwarts.

Last was the locket. It was made of a heavy gold and had an ornate serpentine S, the mark of Salazar. Merlin told of the difficulties he endured to secure it. A very rude, very disgruntled house elf by the name of Kreacher was very unwilling to part with it. The old wizard had to explain himself to the portrait of the elf’s beloved mistress Mrs. Black.

Harry and Severus had known only too well of whom Merlin was speaking. “You should have waited,” Severus said rather dryly, “Harry could have gotten it for you without any problem.”

“Oh, how?” Merlin asked sounding a bit put out.

“Harry is the sole heir to the Black fortune, said elf included,” Snape smirked. Merlin chuckled.

Severus asked for a set of scales, parchment and quill. All were supplied quickly and set about taking notes pertaining to each item. He then packed them back in the chest and closed the lid. The key turning in the lock again secured it.

Severus decided to harvest everything he could from the basilisk’s corpse. He, Ezra and Levi went to the lab to collect specimen jars, vials and collecting tools. Winky apparated to Hogwarts and warded the girl’s bathroom on the second floor. If anyone came near it they would immediately remember they had to be somewhere else and would leave. She returned to Camelot to await Severus.

When all was ready she apparated father and son to the warded room. Harry walked over to the sink and commanded it to open in Parseltongue. He stepped back and waited for the entrance to reveal itself. A wicked little smile crossed his face before he jumped into the opening. He knew of the slide and the rapid decent, his father did not.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2566