The Veil by Saphire_Rose
Summary: After the incident at the Ministry at the end of Harry's fifth year Fudge is in damage control mode. He passes a law for the execution of anyone with the Dark Mark.

Severus and Harry haven't known for long that they are father and son, will Fudge's new law tear them apart or will Harry's 'luck' see them through?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 21609 Read: 53213 Published: 09 Jun 2011 Updated: 27 Jul 2019
Chapter 9 - Reunion and Retirement by Saphire_Rose
Author's Notes:
Edited July 2019 to make Fudge's character portrayal more cohesive.

In the hours the Snape men had been gathering their specimens Winky had been busy gathering their clothing and other things she thought they may need. She had taken them back to Camelot and began preparing a suite of rooms for the new arrivals. To make the transition easier, especially for Harry, she had the new rooms identical to the ones at Hogwarts. She knew the younger Snape suffered from terrible nightmares despite his father’s efforts in training him in occlumency. With that in mind she conjured up a large rocking chair in the corner near the bed head.

As she stood looking at the chair she recalled Dobby telling her that Master Potions Master had talked to Mistress Madame Pomfrey about Master Harry’s past and he suffered with nightmares but fear of abandonment. The Mediwitch had suggested the rocking chair. Dobby and the new father had been rather sceptical at first, but after one night of terrible dreams and screams Dobby had seen the anxious father lift his son from his bed and sit in the rocking chair with him. As Severus rocked and soothed Harry had quietened and relaxed much to the older man’s surprised. He couldn’t help the smile that threatened to split his face in two when his son snuggled into his chest and quite innocently said “Love you Daddy.”

Dobby too had smiled before quietly popping away leaving the Snapes in peace.

As Winky went about her work she wondered where Dobby was. He hadn’t been at Hogwarts when she was there. She thought he would have come to her to tell her what had happened. Then she remembered Harry saying that Dobby had gone to the Ministry with him. Had Dobby been in the room when the boy and his father fell though the Veil?

Despite Dobby being a free elf he had sworn to serve Harry and Winky was concerned about what would happen to her friend. She decided to find Merlin and ask him.

***

In a quiet room away from the main hub of Camelot a small figure was tossing in his bed, his sleep disturbed by images of a dark haired young man rushing headlong into disaster. The cry of “Dad” followed shortly after by screams and cries of anguish as the boy disappeared from sight. The images blurred after that and he had a feeling that something else had happened. As his dream faded and reality closed in he recalled feeling as if he was pulled through time and space itself before slamming into something solid.

Dobby’s large eyes blinked open and he was looking at a white ceiling. It took a few seconds for him to realise that it was not the roof of his room at Hogwarts. Thinking of the school reminded him of his dream and he realised that it had really happened. He had been at the Ministry with Harry Potter. His young friend had wanted to see his father one last time. They had barely made it to the chamber in time. The prisoners were already entering the room and as he had stood there watching the teen had raced down the steps. He watched in horror as the boy that he had come to love fell through the Veil with his father.

The little elf began weeping for his lost friend.”I’s sorry Harry Potter,” he wailed, “I ‘s should have said no. I’s should have left yous at school.” Dobby began pulling at his own ears to punish himself as house elves were wont to do. He soon decided that it wasn’t enough and began banging his head against the wall. After a few minutes of weeping and banging he stopped the latter and curled up into a ball to mourn for his lost friend.  

Slowly reason crept in and the little elf began to feel something that shouldn’t have been there if his friend was dead. Even though the boy was not his master they had formed a magical bond. Harry had given him his friendship and had freed him from a cruel master in return Dobby had given him his friendship and loyalty. The elf’s wails subsided to heavy sobs as he felt the bond, his and Harry’s bond, it was still intact. Dobby sat up suddenly, if the bond was there then Harry Potter wasn’t dead but where was he? Perhaps he was somewhere nearby if he could feel it.

He didn’t think he should leave the room. He was pretty sure he wasn’t at Hogwarts if that strange journey was anything to go by. Dobby searched his memory trying to recall if his grandmother or his parents had ever said anything about what happens when ones master slips into another realm. He had no doubt that that was what had happened. Sadly there was nothing there. He just hoped he wouldn’t have to wait for too long for someone to come and tell him where he was and what had happened to Harry.

He heard footsteps outside the door so he sat up straighter and made himself presentable. The door soon opened and he found himself with an armful or two of a tearful Winky. Behind her stood a man he did not recognise. He comforted and soothed his friend, reassuring her that he was alright.

Winky introduced him to the man at the door as the Merlin and together they told him where he was and what had happened to Harry and his dad. Merlin explained to both elves that the bond that Dobby shared with Harry had pulled him into this realm. The told Dobby that the Snapes would return when Harry was battle ready and that he could stay and help out where needed. With Dobby in Camelot Winky would be free to return to Hogwarts to keep an eye on things.

*   *   *   *   *

Cornelius Fudge had fled the death chamber with his personal guard consisting of six high ranked Aurors. They had dutifully kept the press at bay as they made their way to the Minister’s office. Once he was in the outer office he had barked orders at his secretary to keep everyone except his advisors out. He ordered the guards to stay and help. He called for a house elf and ordered tea before his advisors arrived. He really wished Malfoy was still alive. He would have known how to get out of the situation.

As he waited for his tea his private floo flared to life and his wife’s voice captured his attention. “Cornelius I just had a reporter asking me if I shared your views about Harry Potter. He also asked how I was feeling about the boy’s death. What have you done?”

“I did nothing Jacqueline the fool child fell through the Veil with his Death Eater father. I may have said I didn’t like the boy,” Fudge tried to reassure his wife.

“The reporter said you thought he was nothing more than a weapon.”

“Minerva McGonagall said that.”

“Did you dispute it?”

“No I left the room. There were reporters there. I have to speak to my advisers and work out what to do. By now a lot of people will know what has happened. They will probably tell me to resign. If that happens we’ll have to leave England.”

“We? No way are you dragging me into this Cornelius. I told you to leave the Snapes be; to make Severus exempt from that stupid law. You’re on your own.”

Jacqueline Fudge disappeared from the floo just as the Minister’s advisers were announced. They hadn’t even closed the door before the small group of political wannabes was urging the Minister to call a press conference. Fudge was reluctant to do so; too many people had heard his words. As they hashed out theories and ideas they were interrupted by Fudge’s secretary. “You should read this,” she said handing over a piece of paper. It was a headline page for an upcoming special edition of the Daily Profit. The bold, large type read:

 HARRY POTTER DEAD

ASSASSINATED?

Special Edition 4pm Today.

Fudge glared at the paper then ordered everyone out of his office after telling them to call a press conference in thirty minutes. Perhaps they could salvage something from it.

***

Cornelius Oswald Fudge sat at his ornate desk cradling a tumbler of firewhiskey in his hand. The press meeting had not gone well. The only statement he was able to refute was the one Minerva made about Potter being a weapon. When he had returned to his office he had found divorce papers awaiting his signature. He didn’t bother reading them. Almost everything had belonged to his wife so he knew there would be nothing to contest. He just called his secretary in and had her witness him signing them.

His world was falling apart. He leaned back in his chair, took a large sip of the amber liquid and closed his eyes. Even dead the damned brat was still a thorn in his side. He knew that the people would be calling for his resignation by nightfall. “What the hell am I going to do?” he asked himself, “I suppose I could go back to my old job.”

Before he had become the Minister of Magic Fudge had been a rather successful healer, in fact he was a Master Healer specialising in spell damage and curses. He had grown unhappy with his chosen field though because it did not bring him the prestige he wanted. So when the opportunity to run for Minister came up he took it. He soon realised that it had been a mistake though. He didn’t have the backbone to stand up to people like Lucius Malfoy and had instead allowed the man to practically rule wizarding Britain through him. If anyone really cared to look they would find the blond aristocrat’s hand in almost everything, especially the laws pertaining to werewolves, vampires, elves and other creatures considered dark or half breeds.

Despite being in office he had kept in touch with some colleagues from his former profession and stayed up to date with new research, treatments and teachings. Somewhere in the back of his mind he had realised he just might need it to fall back on one day.

He took another sip feeling the burn slide down his throat. He became aware of the room getting brighter and slowly opened his eyes.To his chagrin he let out a high pitched squeal when he saw someone standing in front of him. “Merlin’s bloody beard where’d you come from?” he spluttered reaching for his panic button that suddenly wasn’t there.

“My beard is not bloody,” the man responded, “and stop trying to find the button I got rid of it.”

“Your… your beard? Do you think you’re Merlin?”

“Don’t think for I know I am. We don’t have time for hows and whys. Your Aurors, I believe you call them, can’t keep the mob back for much longer. I’ve come to offer you a way out of this mess you’ve created.”

“A way out? How? Why? What?”

“Some things need to be left for now. What I can and will say is this. You will resign as Minister and appoint Arthur Weasley as your successor. You will give him that secret file of yours so he can right some of your wrongs. You will tell the press that you are going abroad to contemplate your animosity towards Harry Potter and what it has led to. After that we will go get what is left of your things and take our leave. You will have a chance to redeem yourself in the upcoming war but only if we leave in the next hour. Oh, one more thing, you won’t be able to mention me.”

“Now see here you can’t seriously expect me to just pack up and leave. As for putting Weasley in charge that’s a joke, right?” Cornelius said indignantly as he jumped to his feet.

 

“I know your wife has left you. I know the people who once elected you to office are now after your blood, quite possibly literally. Arthur Weasley will make an excellent replacement for you. He isn’t corrupt nor is he easily swayed. He’ll work hard to try to put things right. Whilst you may not have what it takes to run a Ministry you do have what it takes to be a specialist healer and that is what I need at the moment.”

“I need a few minutes,” Fudge said buying for time. ‘Do I really want to give all of this up?’ he thought to himself.

‘Did you really just ask that stupid question? Your wife is gone and most of the house with her. They want you to resign because of the brat. Anyone else and they probably wouldn’t have cared.’

‘But what’s in it for me?’

 ‘Ask him.’

“What’s in this for me?” he asked out loud.

“A chance to redeem yourself in the eyes of the people. You can spend the rest of your years in seclusion, never knowing when or if someone was going to kill you for what has happened. Or, you can leave it all behind you and help work to better future with myself and my associates.”

Fudge wasn’t a total fool. He instructed his secretary to arrange another press conference and to have Arthur Weasley join him as soon as possible. “Have him use the floo,” he told her.

“Yes Minster.”

The flames soon flared green and the red haired man joined him. “Arthur thank you for coming so quickly. After all that has happened today I have decided to resign immediately. If you have no objections I would like to name you as my successor.”

Arthur Weasley stood gaping at the man across the room. He was sure he hadn’t heard right. “I’m sorry Minister I don’t understand. What has happened?”

“Surely you’ve heard the news by now.”

“I heard what I thought were rumours. Are… are you saying it’s true? That Harry is dead.”

“I’m afraid so Arthur.”

“Molly, the children. I have to… I have to go.” Arthur made to leave but Fudge stopped him.

“Arthur I’m sorry but I have to know if you are willing to take over the Ministerial office.”

“What? Oh. You’re resigning. Yes, yes I’ll do it but I need some time to be with Molly and the children.”

“I’ll make the announcement and tell the press that you’ll meet with them later.”

“Yes, yes.”

In a daze Arthur Weasley left the office of Cornelius Oswald Fudge.

Fudge called his personal elves and asked them to pack up his office and whatever was left at the mansion. As the elves set about their task Cornelius left his office to face the press once again. He was tempted to turn back when the reporters but he noticed Merlin in the back of the room. He made his way to the podium and waited for the room to quieten down.

“Ladies and Gentlemen of the press thank you for returning here at such short notice,” a nervous voice rang out across the room, “I won’t be keeping you long. I have a few things to say and I will not be answering any questions. I am resigning as Minister of Magic effective immediately. Arthur Weasley will be taking over the office. He is currently unavailable for comment as he is with his wife and children at this time.

Shortly I will returning to the mansion I once shared with my wife. She has successfully petitioned for divorce. I will collect my personal effects then I will be leaving England for parts unknown. I will be spending my time in self imposed exile contemplating my relationship or lack thereof with Harry Potter. I will leave you to mourn in peace and ask that join me in reflecting upon what could have been. Thank you.”

Shortly after his historical speech Cornelius Oswald Fudge disappeared from the wizarding world.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2566