The Veil by Saphire_Rose
Summary: After the incident at the Ministry at the end of Harry's fifth year Fudge is in damage control mode. He passes a law for the execution of anyone with the Dark Mark.

Severus and Harry haven't known for long that they are father and son, will Fudge's new law tear them apart or will Harry's 'luck' see them through?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Petunia, Ron, Shacklebolt, Umbridge, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 21609 Read: 53215 Published: 09 Jun 2011 Updated: 27 Jul 2019
Story Notes:

Harry Potter and associates are the property of JK Rowling.

I'm just having fun with them and will return them unharmed.

1. Chapter 1 – Saving Face by Saphire_Rose

2. Chapter 2 – Futile Endeavours by Saphire_Rose

3. Chapter 3 – Discovering Harry by Saphire_Rose

4. Chapter 4 – The Past Remembered by Saphire_Rose

5. Chapter 5 – Camelot by Saphire_Rose

6. Chapter 6 - Merlin and More by Saphire_Rose

7. Chapter 7 – Revelations by Saphire_Rose

8. Chapter 8 - Retrieval by Saphire_Rose

9. Chapter 9 - Reunion and Retirement by Saphire_Rose

10. Chapter 10 - Remembrance and Realisation by Saphire_Rose

11. Chapter 11 - Dinner and Discussions by Saphire_Rose

Chapter 1 – Saving Face by Saphire_Rose

Cornelius Fudge hadn’t taken being made a fool of very well. Being forced by brats to publically acknowledge the return of Lord Voldemort had not sat easy with him. He had launched into damage control mode and with the help of a very scared Wizengamot had hurriedly bought new laws into being. One of which was the immediate execution of all known Death Eaters regardless of their current loyalties. If they bore the Dark Mark then they were to be put to death. Those that were already incarcerated in Azkaban the wizarding prison were first to fall to the new law.

Since most of them were already deranged they had been subjected to the Dementor’s Kiss. The few that were still lucid had been transferred to the Ministry to be publically executed. He had to be seen to be doing something to put a stop to the madness. They would also be ‘kissed’ and once their souls were removed they would be pushed through the ‘Veil’. The first to be executed in this manner had been Lucius Malfoy. Under veritaserum the man had confessed to being there when the dark ritual had been performed to resurrect Voldemort. Fudge had been jealous of the man with his beautiful wife, his fortune, his political standing. The smarmy blond had pleaded that he was under the Imperious Curse during the last war and had walked away. He was glad he was gone.

The Malfoy money had been frozen immediately. A monthly allowance would be forwarded to Narcissa Malfoy for the upkeep of herself and her son Draco. The rest would be released to the Malfoy heir on his seventeenth birthday.

***

Fudge sat in his office sipping on a strong cup of tea. It had been a trying morning. He had not given into Dumbledore’s demands. He had been resolute that the new law regarding Voldemort’s followers would apply to everyone even the father of the supposed ‘Saviour of the Wizarding World’ Harry Potter. He loathed the boy and this would be the perfect way to pay him back for disgracing him so publicly.

Potter had been adamant about the return of Voldemort at the end of the previous school year. The ‘Tri-Wizard Tournament’ had ended in disaster with the Diggory boy dying and the brat sprouting lies. At least that was what he had led the people to believe. The Daily Profit was under his control and published what he told them to. With the help of Rita Skeeter’s poisonous pen he branded the boy a liar and an attention seeker; had hinted that Potter was mentally unstable.

There had been a supposed Dementor attack during the summer holidays, that had resulted in the boy illegally using magic. Fudge had hoped the Wizengamot would find him guilty and break his wand thus expelling the boy from the Wizarding World but Dumbledore had interfered and the boy was given his freedom so to speak. 

In an attempt to keep the boy under control he had sent Delores Umbridge to Hogwarts at the beginning of the new school year. The fool woman had let the power go to her head. She had used a Dark Artifact, a blood quill, to punish the boy and others. She might have gotten away with it since teachers and students alike had been rather scared of crossing her and suffering the consequences. She might have; if he hadn’t been stupid enough to consent to Snape teaching the brats how to brew an ancestry potion.

It had seemed like a good idea at the time. Refusing such a simple request could be a political disaster and he had wanted to avoid that. Besides no-one could have predicted the shock outcome – Severus Snape was revealed as the biological father of one Harry James Potter. With that revelation came others – Snape and Lily Evans had been secretly married. With Voldemort on the war path they had turned to James Potter for help when they realised Lily was pregnant. James had been only too willing to come to the rescue the woman he loved.

Snape was a Potions Master, Evans gifted in Charms and Potter in Transfiguration. Between the three of them they had made the babe look like a Potter rather than a Snape. The spells would reverse when the Dark Lord was dead. The child had been given the name Henry Severus James Snape; James in honour of his pseudo father.

They had removed and stored Snape’s memories and obliviated him so that he honestly believed the boy to be the son of his enemy. Snape had been more than willing to claim the boy as his and Fudge had hoped at the time that the matter was closed.

With the Potter brat being removed from his ‘caring’ relatives he no longer felt obligated to them and was more than happy to tell his father just what kind of loving family they had been. If the outcry over Snape being the boy’s father had been loud then the outcry over the abuse he had received from the Muggles had been deafening. In yet another attempt to save face Fudge had consented to the family being tried by the Wizengamot.

The aunt and uncle had been sentenced to fourteen years in Azkaban. One year for every year they had been the boy’s guardians. That was after they had been cursed with reliving every unkind deed and word they visited on the Potter brat. The cousin had found himself in a Muggle/Wizard foster home. He would be closely supervised and hopefully he would become a better person.

During all of this Delores had kept up her persecution of the boy. The blood quill sessions had happened so often that the boy’s hand was healing slower. His father had found the boy in his bathroom trying to treat his wounds himself. Every time the quill was used Dark Magic had leaked into the cuts and without the proper spells they would never heal completely. The fallout had been widespread and many parents had called for the ‘Kiss’ as punishment, the Wizengamot had agreed. As Minister for Magic he had been present for the ‘Kiss’ and the subsequent execution.

The school year had culminated in the very public ‘return’ of Lord Voldemort. Cornelius could no longer deny it as too many people had seen it.

Seeing Snape get the ‘Kiss’ was going to be the highlight of his life. He had escaped a conviction at the end of the last war because Dumbledore had fought for him. Even now the doddering old fool claimed Snape was a spy for the ‘Light’. He had known that Albus would interfere and that was why he had pushed for the law to state that those with the ‘Mark’ would forfeit their lives. It was a well known fact that the skull and snake tattoo could not be removed. He had delighted in ignoring the man’s plea for clemency and in denying the older wizard’s request to see Snape. He just hoped the boy would be there it would really complete his day.

To be continued...
Chapter 2 – Futile Endeavours by Saphire_Rose

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore felt every bit of his one hundred and forty plus years of life. He had sequestered himself in his tower office at Hogwarts. He didn’t want to face Harry just yet but knew he couldn’t put it off for much longer. The Aurors had been at the school that morning and had taken Severus into custody and he was currently being held in a cell at the Ministry.

Dumbledore had asked to see him when he was there speaking to Minister Fudge. His request had been denied as he was not immediate family. He had been in Snape’s rooms just as the sun rose that morning. Kingsley Shacklebolt had taken time to warn him when the arresting party would be arriving. He and Severus had dealt with things that had to be done. Harry needed a guardian; his godfather had died at the Ministry during the confrontation with the Death Eaters.

Severus had no family besides Harry. Albus and Minerva were getting on in years. Lupin couldn’t be appointed because of his ‘furry little problem’. The Weasleys already had seven children of their own. In the end they had decided to give guardianship to Aurora Sinistra. She was young enough, lived mostly at Hogwarts since she taught Astronomy and Harry got on well with her.

Severus had rewritten his will months before when the true relationship between he and Harry had come to light. Albus had witnessed the document at the time and had hoped he would never have to see it again. He had hoped that the two would have many happy years together. Both of them deserved it especially Harry. He had been through so much recently and now this.

Despite his heavy heart Albus managed to conjure a protronus and he sent it to Minerva McGonagall requesting she and Harry join him. He had no idea how well the young wizard was going to take this latest turn in events. He knew that he could not keep it from him. The child had been lied to too often and denied too much in the past. Besides he had promised Severus. Though he doubted the promise would be strong enough to hold the boy at school.

A soft knock at the door had him straightening up in his chair, “Enter,” he called. He didn’t get time to greet them or offer them tea or even a sit before Harry was demanding to know where his father was. As gently as he could he told the anxious child what had happened that morning. At first it seemed as though Harry hadn’t heard anything but Dumbledore had seen the pain in the boy’s eyes. “I want to see him,” Harry demanded calmly.

“I know you do Harry but Severus asked me not to take you there. I have asked Kingsley to inform me of the time your father is expected to be taken to the ‘Veil Chamber’. Minerva and I will stay with you. You can have Miss. Granger and Mr. Weasley join us if you wish. I’m sorry there isn’t more I can do.”

Harry said nothing more except that he would be in his father’s rooms. Albus watched as the boy left the room. It had only been a few days since Sirius had gone unwillingly through the Veil. He had been cursed by Bellatrix LeStrange an insane follower of the Dark Lord. Harry had witnessed his godfather’s death and Severus had decided he didn’t want his son witnessing his.

Once the gargoyle that guarded the entrance to the tower office grated closed Minerva gave into the tears she had tried to keep from the young wizard. Albus held his Deputy and long time love in his arms as she wept for two lost boys. Neither deserved what Fate had decided to throw at them. He prayed to whatever deity that was listening to step in and do something. He also cursed Cornelius Fudge for being so heavy handed.

***

In the dungeon rooms he had begun to think of as home Harry alternately sat and paced. He wanted his father here with him. There was still so much for the two of them to do together. Severus had promised to take him on a real holiday over the summer break and to tell him more about his mother and grandparents. They were even going to see Dudley, Harry’s cousin. Thinking of his cousin made Harry wonder if this was how Dudley felt went his parents had been taken away from him.

That bought Harry back to the unfairness of it all. He had already lost his mother, step-father (as he’d come to think of James) and his godfather to that madman and his schemes. Now he was going to lose his father and he wasn’t going to be able to say goodbye. More than that though, he wanted to be able to tell his father that he loved him and to hear those words from the man himself.

Harry stared into the cold hearth then his eyes travelled to the ceramic pot that sat on the mantle. He could Floo to the Ministry but Dumbledore was probably monitoring the Floos as Umbridge had done. He was too young to apparate not that he could. He could sneak out through the tunnel to Hogsmeade like he had in third year but he wasn’t sure if there was a public Floo there like there was in Diagon alley. A smile crossed his sad face as thought of the perfect way to get to the Ministry, “Dobby.”

With a small pop a house elf appeared. It was bouncing from foot to foot unable to control its excitement at having been summoned by the great Harry Potter. “What’s can I dos for you Harry Potter Sir?” it squeaked.

“Dobby can you leave the school without asking the Headmaster?”

“Yes, all house elves can.”

“Can you take someone with you, you know past the wards?”

“Yes. Elf magic is different to wizard magic.”

“Could you take me to the Ministry for Magic?”

“Why does the great Harry Potter Sir want to go there?”

It was a tearful Harry that told the little elf what was happening. Whilst Dobby was loyal to Hogwarts and Headmaster Dumbledore he was foremost and forever loyal to Harry Potter. He promised to help the boy who had saved him from a terrible fate. He promised to stay with him for as long as he wanted to be at the Ministry. Dobby explained that his magic would be limited while they were there but he would be able to protect Harry.

Harry sent Dobby to his dorm in the Gryffindor Tower to get him a change of clothes and a set of robes. He didn’t want to wear his school uniform. Dobby was returned quickly and Harry dashed off to his room to change. A quick trip to bathroom was next before returning to the living area. Dobby gently took the boy’s hand and with a pop the two were gone.

The atrium at the Ministry was quite busy. Dobby led Harry to the security desk to have his wand checked and to get his visitor’s pass. The guard at the desk smiled sadly at him when he realised that he was there to see one of the condemned. He was about to give Harry directions to the holding cells when he realised the prisoner in question was being transferred to the execution chamber. He hesitated too long and Harry realised what was happening.

“Dobby we have to get there now,” he practically yelled. The little elf grabbed the boy’s hand and began dragging him towards the elevators. They were lucky enough to get an express one that went directly down to the ninth level. According to the others in the lift it had been set to only stop at the atrium and on the lowest floor. They also learnt that a special corridor had been added that went straight the death chamber. Harry was relived that he wouldn’t have to deal with the moving doors he had encountered last time.

The doors opened, Harry and Dobby alighted with the rest and moved along with the crowd down the new corridor. He hoped he was in time to at least see his father. No-one really took any notice of the teen as he made his way into the room. Most were too busy finding a seat and Harry felt rather sick at the thought that people wanted to watch. He had seen enough when Sirius fell through, he didn’t want to watch his dad go through it.

Harry noticed a side door opening and some people dressed in dull grey robes being led into the room. He spotted Severus and started running down the stairs shouting “Dad.” An eerie hush fell on the room and all heads turned to watch the teen.  No-one attempted to stop him, not even the guards.

Severus had been taken by surprise at the sound of his son’s voice. He couldn’t believe Albus had broken his promise. He turned just in time to see Harry but the boy was moving too fast to stop; his momentum coupled with Severus being restricted by shackles resulted in the both of them toppling through the Veil.

***

As Albus comforted Minerva his Floo roared to life, he turned to see Kingsley’s face in the flame. “They’re taking Severus through to the Chamber now.” Before he could utter a response an alarm sounded through the castle.

The elderly couple looked at each other that particular alarm would only sound if Harry had left the wards of Hogwarts. “Stand back, we’re coming through,” Albus stated. The head disappeared and they followed it through the Floo.

“What was that alarm?’ the tall, muscular, dark skinned man asked.

“Harry has left the wards. He wanted to see Severus and I guess he found a way to get here,” Albus replied.

Without another word Shacklebolt escorted the other two through the Ministry building using corridors and lifts not available to the general public.

They entered the Chamber from the opposite direction of the door that the condemned would soon walk through. The three of them scanned the room for Harry and looked in the same direction as everyone else when a voice shouted “Dad.” As they watched Harry race towards his father a feeling of relief washed over them, it soon gave way to horror and despair as they watched father and son topple through the Veil. 

To be continued...
Chapter 3 – Discovering Harry by Saphire_Rose

Severus Tobias Snape had been extremely grateful that Auror Shacklebolt had taken the time to alert him that an arrest team was on the way. It had given him the chance to look upon his son one last time. He had never expected it to end this way. After four years of badgering and belittling the boy because he had believed him to be the son of his arch-nemesis it had been a shocking revelation that he was not; that all the while he had been tormenting his own son.

He smiled sadly as he thought of that day in potions. He had gained Ministry approval for his fifth year students to brew and used an ancestry potion that would reveal the last three generations. He had sort permission as a roundabout way to help the boy. He had been asked by Dumbledore to give the child Occlumency lessons. During these lessons he had seen some of the abuse Harry suffered at the hands of his relatives. Snape had thought if it could be proven that the Potter brat had other family then perhaps he could live with them.

He had deliberately teamed Harry up with Draco Malfoy so that there would be no sabotage attempt on Harry’s potion. He had been well aware that over the years Draco had deliberately ruined many of Potter’s potions. He had paired up others the same way. There was no way any of his snakes would ruin their own potions. He had also taken competency into account making sure each team had at least one proficient brewer.

He had watched over the class as they brewed. He could find no fault with any potion not even Longbottom’s. Well he was paired with Parkinson. Granger was with Goyle so no problems there either. He had waited until the potions were ready and bottled before having the students add the last ingredient – three drops of blood. After that the vial was corked and shaken until the blood was mixed. The final stage was pouring it onto a piece of parchment where it would spread out and draw up a family tree.

There had been a lot of murmurs and exclamations at what was revealed. He had watch Potter hoping to see a smile, a spark of curiosity to indicate that he had found someone. He hadn’t expected the look of sadness and betrayal that had given away to anger. What had happened next had been completely unexpected, the boy had left his work station and marched up to the front of the room, drew back his arm and punched Severus in the jaw as he called him a fucking bastard.

As Harry readied to land a second punch he had grabbed the boy with one hand and spun him sideways. With the other hand he delivered half a dozen solid whacks to the boy’s behind. “Start packing up,” he growled to the now silent class before turning and dragging Potter out of the room through the adjoining storeroom and into his office. He left the somewhat dazed boy standing in a corner with instructions not to move.

Back in the classroom he watched as they packed up. The majority of them left quietly. He had told Granger and Weasley to get out twice before he threatened detention. When the last of the students made their way to the door Draco had come forward with a folded piece of parchment,. “It’s Potter’s Sir. No one else has seen it besides me and I won’t say anything. I suggest you look at it before you punish him further.”

Draco closed the door as he left and Snape had quickly cast locking and silencing charms. He sat down at his classroom desk placing the parchment on the blotter in front of him. What could have made the boy react like that?  Why would Draco seek clemency for the messy haired boy? There was a lot of animosity between the two. Malfoy should have been smug over what had happened and Potter’s possible expulsion.

With deliberate movements he unfolded the parchment and smoothed it out before looking down. His eyes went straight to the name at the bottom – ‘Henry Severus James Snape’. He blinked several times sure that his eyes were seeing things but when he looked again the words had not changed. Below the boy’s name was ‘31 July 1980 Godric’s Hollow’. Above that ‘Severus Tobias Snape, 9 January 1960, Spinner’s End’ and ‘Lily Anne Gryff, 30 January 1960, St. Mungo’s, London. Married 31 August 1978, Hogwarts, Scotland’. He waved his wand across the parchment casting a quick spell that would reveal any more details about Lily. ‘(Adopted 16 February 1960, Henry and Rose Evans)’ appeared next to her place of birth.

Severus was somewhat shocked at this information. Petunia Dursley was not blood related to Harry at all. The whole reason Albus kept sending the boy back there was the ‘blood wards’ that were supposedly in place because Petunia and Lily were sisters. All this time he had been at risk from the Dark Lord and his followers.

He sat there reflecting on what he had just discovered. Lily had married him not Potter. The brat wasn’t Potter’s but his. But why did he look like James and not himself? And why couldn’t he remember any of this? It was a few more minutes before his thoughts quietened down and he felt in control again. He looked at the parchment once more, ‘Henry Severus James Snape’. Harry was his son. Harry was Lily’s son. Harry was… waiting in his office. Standing up he grabbed the parchment and made his way to the other room.

To his surprise the boy was still where he had left him. “Are you under control, Harry?” he asked quietly. He had deliberately used the boy’s name in hope of sounding somewhat friendly. After all it had been as big a shock for the boy as it had for him.

“Yes Sir,” he had responded just as quietly.

“Come and sit down. I think we should talk before we go looking answers.” As the child sat Snape could see that he had been crying. Whether it was from the new found revelation or the impromptu spanking he didn’t know. “I know you are angry and hurting but will you listen to me before you start yelling and asking questions?”

“Yes Sir.” Harry had sat opposite him with his head bowed.

“I don’t remember any of it. Not being married to you mother or your birth or how you came to look like James Potter. The potion doesn’t lie Harry, if it says I’m your father then I am. What I suggest we do now is go to the Headmaster and see if he knows anything.”

“Are you going to ask him to expel me?”

“Expel you? Why would I do that?”

“I hit you, remember.”

Severus had absently rubbed his jaw before smiling at the boy, “Not a bad punch either,” he mused. “No I’m not going to ask him to expel you. I’m not even going to give you a detention. You were rather emotional and no doubt in shock over what you had discovered. I can’t take back the spanking though.”

“Had worse,” Harry muttered.

“I know. That was the main reason why I got permission for the fifth years to brew that potion. After seeing your memories I thought that if you could show Albus you had other family he would give them guardianship.”

“Would… would you have wanted me?”

He could hear the desperation in the boy’s quietly spoken words. He wasn’t sure just how bad things were at Privet Drive but he knew that Petunia had hated magic. At first she had been jealous of Lily and when she realised that she would never have what her sister had the jealousy had turned to hate and scorn.

“Yes Harry I would have. I loved your mother dearly and I would have wanted the gift she had given me – you.”

He saw a tear drop from the boy’s chin. The child was crying but no sound was forthcoming. He left his side of the desk and moved to Harry’s side. He moved the other visitor chair closer, sat down and put his arms around the boy. That had been Harry’s undoing and he clung to Severus weeping. Snape felt something shift within his chest; his broken heart had started to mend.  

To be continued...
Chapter 4 – The Past Remembered by Saphire_Rose

Screams and cries of anguish reverberated around the room. Fudge quickly ordered the guards to take the remaining condemned back to their cells. He had wanted the brat to hurt but he hadn’t wanted this. The public that voted him into office expected that boy to save them now he was gone and with him the Minister’s position once it got out he had refused to give Severus Snape any special consideration.

Fudge looked about him, many witches were in tears and the wizards were quiet as they tried to comfort them. He spotted Albus Dumbledore and a weeping Minerva McGonagall amongst them.  With some trepidation he approached the two. The look he got from Albus was cold and once Minerva saw him she lashed out slapping him hard across the face. “Are ye happy now that he’s gone Cornelius?” she spat at him.

He shook his head “I… I never meant for that to happen. I admit I didn’t like the boy but I didn’t want him dead. He hasn’t defeated You-Know-Who yet.”

“Is that all he was to you, a weapon?” Minerva growled. She wanted to strike the man again but Albus was stopping her.

Those around them become quiet as Fudge had stated his dislike for the boy.  Rather than face the accusations and the wrath of those in the room Cornelius Fudge turned and fled. Some ran after him wanting answers. Other milled around before finally leaving. Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall sat on one of the lower benches and comforted each other. In the quiet of the room disembodied voices could be heard coming from the ‘Veil’ reminding them of what they had lost. As they sat Albus thought about the day Severus and Harry had found out they were father and son and why it had been kept a secret.

Albus had been sitting quietly in his office going through yet more Ministry correspondence. Even though he hadn’t been expecting it the knock on his door was welcome as it gave him an excuse to ‘abandon’ the parchments. “Enter,” he called. His face lit up when he saw who had been behind the closed door, “Severus my boy, what can I do for you?”

“Headmaster, we have a problem and we were hoping you could help us,” Snape had said quietly.

“We?”

“Yes, Pot…” Severus turned to look at the young Gryffindor and realised he was not there. “I’ll be right back.”

Albus was slightly amused to see his usually stoic Potions Master somewhat flustered. The younger man returned momentarily with a reluctant and tearful Harry Potter in tow. Now he was starting to worry. ‘I wonder what Harry has done this time?’ he thought. Then he realised that Snape was not angry at the boy if anything he looked worried. “Come and sit down both of you,” he said leading the way not to his desk but to a small sitting room, “Tea?”

“Yes Headmaster,” Snape said quietly guiding Harry, “I think Mr. Potter would enjoy that special blend you use.”

Dumbledore knew that his young friend was referring to calming potion he regularly slipped upset students, irate parents and disgruntled staff. He called a house elf and ordered the tea. When he looked up he noticed that Harry was practically sitting in his teacher’s lap and Severus was letting him. ‘What has happened to make them act so differently?’ he wondered. The elf returned and he served the tea, giving it a few moments to take affect before asking what the problem was that Snape mentioned earlier.

“Albus do you remember me asking about brewing the ancestry potion?” Snape asked and Dumbledore nodded. “My fifth year Gryffindors and Slytherins brewed it today. I paired them up so there would be less botched potions. Harry and Draco’s potion was perfect. The outcome was not what we expected.” Snape withdrew Harry’s parchment from his one of his robe pockets and handed it to the older man.

There wasn’t a lot that could shock the elderly wizard; he had fought two wars and lost family and friends to both. But this, this he was not prepared for. “How can this be?” he asked quietly.

“I don’t know Albus. I, that is, we were hoping you knew. I have no recollection of being married to Lily or of Harry’s birth.”

“I’m sorry my boys, I don’t know any more than you do.”

At that point a loud trill of a bird sounded from the other room. After excusing himself Albus rose and went to see what the commotion was. He returned with Fawkes his familiar on his shoulder. The phoenix had sensed Harry’s distress and wanted to be close to the boy. The bird trilled again and when the teen lifted his eyes to the bird’s they connected in a way they never had before. Fawkes trilled once more then with a blinding flash he was gone.

“What was that about?” Severus asked but he got no reply as the bird had returned with a parcel that he dropped in Snape’s lap. Glancing down he recognised the elegant writing, “Lily,” he whispered. The boy sitting next to him heard him though and quickly looked at the address label ‘Severus Snape, Potions Master.’ Harry sighed his mother had beautiful writing.

Carefully almost reverently Severus put the parcel on the coffee table. The two older wizards scanned it to make sure there were no hidden hexes, curses, spells or portkeys. With trembling hands Snape untied the strings, broke the seals and unwrapped the paper. Inside was an ornate box with a flur-de-lis carved in its lid. Around it were carved protection runes. Within the box that was lined with black velvet nestled several vials. Most were recognisable as memories. The others were potions Snape did not recognise. One of the memories was labeled ‘Watch me first.’

Not knowing the content the two older wizards encouraged the younger to stay where he was while they viewed it. The process had taken longer than they thought it would and when they returned Harry was curled up on the sofa asleep. They shook him awake gently and decided to eat dinner together before viewing some of the memories with Harry. Over dinner they told him what they had discovered, that his parents with the help of James Potter had ‘hidden’ him from Voldemort to protect him and his parents. How they had changed his appearance, altered memories of some people and obliviated others.

Severus’ memories they had stored away. Only Fawkes would know where they were and he would retrieve them if they found out they were father and son or if Voldemort was dead or if Harry was in dire need of a blood transfusion or some other life threatening medical emergency. Most of the memories had been put back where they belonged. The potions had been invented by him to help restore minor memories that he had buried. “We left a few for you to see Harry and once you have I’ll put them back too.”

The teen had been too anxious to eat much and was relieved when the time came to go into the other room. Together father and son entered the Headmaster’s Pensieve. The first memory was of the lake at Hogwarts. A pretty red headed girl and a dark haired boy were sitting on a blanket. As they watched the boy knelt up and appeared to be reaching into his pocket. The two observers moved closer to hear what was being said. The dark haired boy who Harry had just realised was Snape gazed lovingly at the girl. “Lily Anne Evans will you marry me?” young Severus had asked, his eyes never leaving hers. Lily’s face broke out into a radiant smile and she threw her arms about him.

“Yes Sev, I’ll marry you.”

They watch as he placed a plain gold band with a single diamond on her finger and then kissed her hand. They embraced again before she called out to some friends nearby. James Potter had been the first to congratulate them.

The memory faded and shifted. A nervous Snape, resplendent in royal blue robes, stood by the shore of the same lake. Music played softly and voices murmured. A wedding march began to play and all those gathered turned to watch a vision in white walk gracefully towards the man she was about to wed. In her hands she carried a bouquet of red roses with Peace Lilies mixed in.

Their vows had been simple pledges of their love, body, magic and souls to each other. For each vow their joined hands had been bound by a magical cord of a different colour. When their pledges were given and acknowledged the cords had glowed then shimmered before dissolving into their skin. This was followed by the exchange of rings and the words that accompanied them seemed familiar to Harry. "With this ring I thee wed: with my body I thee worship: and with all my worldly goods I thee endow.” Both had promised.

“Your mother wanted the muggle ring ceremony to make her parents feel better about the whole thing. They were worried that the marriage would only be legal in the wizarding world,” Severus explained to Harry.

After the newlyweds kissed the memory shifted again. Avery pregnant Lily was glaring daggers at her husband. “This is all your fault,” she screamed. “Look at me. I’m fat and ugly and…” and she burst into tears. Snape quickly crossed the floor to her and wrapped his arms around her.

“Shh Lily Love, you’re as beautiful today as you were when I met you in the park. Even more so because you are carrying our baby.”

Lily’s cries gave way to a gasp and she clutched at her abdomen. With wide eyes she looked at her husband. “Sev, I think it’s time.”

He picked her up and carried her upstairs to their bedroom setting her carefully on a chair then setting the room up for the impending birth. He left her long enough to fire call Poppy Pomfrey and James Potter. For their plan to work they needed the latter present.

The memory fast forwarded to shortly after the baby’s delivery. The new parents held their tiny bundle close. “He has your hair, Sev,” Lily mused.

“Not my nose though, thank Merlin.”

“What are you going to name him?” Madame Pomfrey asked.

“Henry Severus James, after his three fathers,” young Sev said with a smile.

“Three?” queried Poppy.

“My father Henry, Severus is obvious and James after his Godfather,” Lily stated.

The mediwitch smiled and excused herself to go downstairs to fill out the paperwork. “Can you ask James to come up please?” Lily had asked her.

She nodded and James entered the room a few minutes later. He congratulated them both then he became quite serious. “I’ll ask one last time, are you sure?”

“Yes,” Severus and Lily replied together. The three then set about changing the baby’s appearance. When Poppy returned with the birth certificate they altered her memories making her think James was the father and Severus was there because Lily wanted him to brew child birthing potions. After she filled out a second form and had left Severus had said a very tearful goodbye to his wife and son. He and James left the room.

The memory shimmered and faded. Father and son found themselves back in Dumbledore’s office. It was too much for Harry and he collapsed in a sobbing heap. Albus had watched in awe as Severus knelt to pick up his son. Cradling him close to his chest he asked to use the floo. He also asked that the Headmaster inform Professor McGonagall that Harry was with him and quite safe.

To be continued...
Chapter 5 – Camelot by Saphire_Rose

Severus gasped as he landed on something solid. He vaguely thought that he should be dead. He felt a warm heavy weight on top of him and opened his eyes. The first thing he saw was a beautiful pair of emerald eyes surrounded by rectangular frames, “Harry,” he said quietly.

His son smiled down at him, “Hello Dad,” he said happily.

The warm weight shifted as Harry rolled off of him. “Where are we?” a subdued voice asked.

“That is one question I cannot answer. We went through the ‘Veil’ we should be dead,” Severus responded quietly.

“I don’t feel dead,” the teen mused, “but I don’t really know how you’re supposed to feel when you’re dead.”

“You don’t feel dead because you aren’t,” said a male voice. Father and son sat up. Standing nearby was a man of around six feet tall. His smiling face was haloed in russet curls. He was dressed in a style that reminded Harry of pirates – tan breeches and an untucked billowing shirt, on his feet were brown sandals and a gold medallion adorned his neck.

“I am Levi.”

“Severus and this is my son Harry.”

“Welcome to Camelot,” Levi said bowing as he swept his arm around indicating the land and buildings.

Levi continued to smile as the newcomers took in their surroundings. Green grass, blue sky, fluffy clouds, even a warm, gentle breeze. A short distance away they saw a shimmering white building that was two storeys high and it was topped with a huge golden dome. A few smaller buildings to the left of it and what appeared to be a cemetery to the left of those. On the right of the main building were some farms and orchards. There were mountains on the horizon and they could hear water running somewhere.

“Why aren’t we dead?” Snape asked, “The ‘Veil’ has been used to execute witches and wizards for hundreds of years.”

“It was never supposed to be like that. The ‘Veil’ as you call it is a portal between this realm and yours. Somewhere along the way that piece of information was lost and your realm started sending soulless people through who died within hours of their arrival. It’s quite refreshing to have seemingly whole people come through for once.”

“They use the Dementors to remove the souls before sending the condemned through,” Severus said.

“Has everyone who came through died like that?” Harry asked quietly.

“Harry, Sirius was hit with a curse. I doubt he survived it,” Snape said softly.

“Ahh that would be Sirius Black, yes?” Levi asked sounding somewhat pleased.

“Yes,” Harry chirped.

“He was here. The curse did a lot of damage. He was taken to another realm for specialist healing.”

Levi could see that the young man was about to ask more questions and he quickly suggested that they move inside and talk some more. “Besides the portal has been very active of late and you don’t want to be here if anyone else is sent through.”

As  Harry helped his father to his feet Levi used his medallion to contact someone named Ezra and call a council meeting. “This way gentlemen,” Levi said as he walked towards the white building.

The two wizards followed. Severus hampered by the shackles stumbled muttering as he did so. Levi turned back towards them. “Forgive me Severus,” with a wave of his hand he vanished Snape’s metal restraints, “I got a bit caught up there.”

Levi turned and headed towards the building again. Off to the left they could see a small group gathering. “Healers and morticians,” he told the other two. “They will ease the suffering of those who pass through the portal and see to a proper burial.”

Severus and Harry followed behind taking in as much of the surrounds as they could in the short distance they had to walk. Even taking the time to look behind them at the stone archway they had come through, it was almost identical to the one at the Ministry but this one had no curtain.

Heavy wooden doors swung inwards as they approached them. Levi stepped aside so his guests could enter before him. He didn’t even try to suppress the snicker of amusement that passed his lips at Harry’s audible gasp. Whilst the room wasn’t overly large, possibly the same size as the Great Hall at Hogwarts, it did have one very impressive feature, a round table in the centre of it beneath the dome.

“Is that the round table?” Harry asked awestruck.

“Yes it is,” answered Levi, “Come, sit down and I will explain while we wait for the others to get here.” Snape and Harry sat next to each other as Levi bustled about ordering some refreshments before he joined them. “As I said before this is Camelot. Somewhat different from the Arthurian legends you are no doubt familiar with. Merlin is real and the table as you can see is real. Arthur and the others are just a story, fable, tale, legend. Whichever you prefer.”  

 “That’s not what they teach in school,” Harry spluttered.

“Yes I know. That was Merlin’s idea and a good one. Many religions and societies have what are commonly known as ‘creation myths’. They came about as people tried to understand the world around them. It was the same for magic and magical beings. Those without magic have always outnumbered those with. It was easier and more believable to spin a story of magic rather than show them real magic.

So as you can see Camelot and the table really do exist. Merlin made them a part of the stories he wove. Those stories were accepted as fact and Merlin never bothered to correct them. Though if you dig deep enough the truth is there. You can ask him about it when you meet him.”

“Meet who?” Severus asked warily.

“Merlin.” This time Levi couldn’t help himself he laughed outright at the looks upon the faces of the two wizards. “Oh I am sorry,” he gasped out, “I just couldn’t resist. I know that in your world Merlin no longer lives but he is very much alive here. You must remember that although born of a woman Merlin was not mortal. He was a creation of Maab from magic and that magic ran through him. He was able to work among men because they believed him to be one of them. He even married and had children. None of them lived as long as he though. When he could no longer bear to watch his loved ones die he decided to use the portal one last time to come back here. No one knows how long he will live. Perhaps until the end of time.”

Levi gave them time to process what he had just told them. Then called their attention to the table they sat at. He didn’t think they could take too many more surprises.

“If you looked closely you can see that the table is made of twelve segments. Each segment has a carving depicting other magical beings as well as one representing wizardkind and their name beneath, since at times it can be difficult to distinguish human from humanoid.”

They looked and sure enough there was a carving of a Wizard, a Goblin, an Elf, a Merperson, a Centaur, a Vampire, a Veela, a Leprechaun, a Werewolf, the Greenman surrounded by pictures of nymphs, dryads, faeries, brownies; Gaia - Mother Earth depicted by a picture the earth and Chronos - Father Time represented by an hourglass.

“Why are there other creatures surrounding the Greenman?” Harry asked.

“He represents all of them. The same as one elf represents all the different kinds of elves. The centaur represents fauns and unicorns amongst others. The twelve representatives make up the magic council. Also the table is charmed after every full council meeting it rearranges itself so that we are not always sitting next to the same member. It can also expand itself to accommodate guests if need be.”

As Levi finished speaking voices could be heard, “Ah the others have arrived.”

“Not all of us,’ a voice they recognised as Ezra’s said.

Harry and Severus watched as the room began to fill. A centaur, an elf, a goblin, a leprechaun and two others joined them. “I will introduce you to everyone once we are all settled though you may know one or two,” Levi said indicating the centaur and elf.

“Master Potions Master Snape, Master Harry Potter what are yous doing here?” a squeaky voice asked. Harry and Severus both looked there. Standing between them with her hands on her hips and her left foot tapping impatiently was Winky the house elf.

“Hello Winky,” said Harry.

“Answer me,” she demanded glaring at Harry.

“I… that is… well Dobby helped me get to the Ministry so I could see Dad before… before they...”

 Severus rolled his eyes and spoke to the elf “I was supposed to be executed this afternoon under the new law. Harry turned up as I was lead into the chamber. He came running and me too fast and when we collided the momentum knocked us through the ‘Veil’.”

“Oh yous poor things. Everything will be alright. You’lls see.”

Winky moved off to find her place and the centaur approached. “We meet again Harry Potter.”

“Firenze!” squawked the teen.

“Winky is right you know,” the centaur said moving off.

The others took their seats and Levi introduced them. There was Ragnash, a goblin; Olinda, a mermaid though she looked human; Patches, a leprechaun; Ezra turned out to be a male Veela and Levi was a vampire. Gaia, Chronos, the Greenman and, one last surprise for the two guests, Remus Lupin could not make it. Merlin was running late.

To be continued...
Chapter 6 - Merlin and More by Saphire_Rose

As they waited for Merlin Harry noted that his father was deep in a conversation with Ezra about potions. He rolled his eyes, honestly even ‘dead’ the man was still caught up in them. With Sev occupied elsewhere he turned to Levi and asked him about Sirius. 

The vampire told him all that he could. They were uncertain of the actual curse that had been used on Sirius but it had done a lot of damage. The Healers had done what they could to stabilise him enough to move him to another realm. “He will need a lot of time to heal Harry,” Levi said quietly. “Time flows differently from realm to realm. Where Sirius is one month is almost equal to one of your days. Here time flows faster. You and Severus have been here for nearly two hours by your watch but for those you left behind it has only been a few minutes.”

“Does Remus know about Sirius?” Harry asked.

“He does but he is sworn to secrecy about it. To those he knows in your realm he appears to be grieving. He had wanted desperately to tell you but we cautioned him not too just in case Sirius did not make it. It would be unfair to make you grieve twice.”

“Can I see him?”

“Not yet Harry. He has a lot of healing to do. He’s in a coma of sorts.”

Levi could sense that the boy was becoming upset. He reached for his medallion and clutching it sent a silent message to Merlin to hurry. ‘Hopefully he can distract the lad,’ Levi thought. He didn’t have to wait long for a pulse of magic soon swept through the room and everyone became silent.

“Merlin is here, finally,” Ezra said.

Severus immediately stood up straight and looked towards the doors. He nudged his son to do the same before whispering in his ear for the boy to behave. Harry just sighed but did as his father said well until he caught sight of Merlin at least.

Harry was expecting a much older version of Albus Dumbledore and whilst the man who entered the room did indeed have long white hair, an equally long white beard and was dressed in colourful clothing it was the style of clothes that made Harry snigger then laugh outright. He was startled from his laughing by a sharp slap that Severus delivered to his thigh. He turned to glare at his father, “Ow Dad, that hurt,” the teen pouted.

“Show some decorum Harry,” Severus hissed.

“I wasn’t laughing at him Dad. I was laughing at what he is wearing.”

“And what pray tell is so funny about Merlin’s attire?”

“I find I am curious as to the answer myself,” said a gentle voice full of warmth and perhaps a bit of humour.

Harry looked up into the face of Merlin and smiled as he remembered why he laughed then he turned to his father. “When I was in primary school one of my teachers had a set of read along books. Books that were recorded on cassette tape. You listened to the tape and read the book along with it. One of them was ‘The Sword in the Stone’ and the pictures and storyline were from the Disney movie of the same name. I liked the book so much she let me watch the movie with the rest of the class. She knew the Dursleys wouldn’t have approved. Anyway there is a scene in the movie where Merlin returns from the future and he’s wearing a Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts.  He reminded me of it.”

The old wizard smiled at Harry and winked at Levi. “I’ve seen that movie too young man and a few others. I’m always curious as to how they will portray me and that was certainly one of the funnier ones.”

“Merlin,” Levi said standing, “allow me to introduce you to Severus Snape and his son Harry.”

Severus and Harry stood to shake hands with the venerable wizard. He welcomed both of them to Camelot as bid them to take their seats again before making his way to his own. The decision was made to have afternoon tea before getting down to business.

There was subdued conversation as they enjoyed their refreshments together. Merlin kept a careful eye on both Severus and Harry. There were a few times when the pair would rub at their left forearms. The old wizard would smile and if anyone looked they would have seen a twinkle in his eyes to rival Albus Dumbledore’s.

When the repast was over Merlin asked if anyone needed to bring anything up that couldn’t wait for the next formal council meeting. There was nothing of an urgent nature so he turned to Severus and Harry and began speaking. He explained the purpose of the council and that they were well aware of what was happening in Britain and that Fudge was panicking. He turned his eyes on Harry “It’s seems that young Harry has inadvertently solved a problem for us. We had been wondering how to save you from your ‘fate’ Severus. Winky had wanted to go to the Ministry and apparate out with you. But that would have put her in the spotlight and we need her at Hogwarts. Remus was also out as he is off on ‘Order’ business for Albus. So you see this afternoon’s little mishap has helped,” Merlin said.

“Why would you want to save me?” Severus asked in a slightly stunned voice.

“The short answer it wasn’t your time yet,” Ezra answered.

“Do I want to know the long answer?”

“You both need to know it. Whether you want to is a different story,” Levi spoke up.

“As you are both aware a prophesy was made concerning Voldemort and at the time an unknown child. You are also aware that wizarding Britain believes the ‘Saviour’ to be Harry,” Merlin said, “What you don’t know is that there is another prophesy, much older. It too points to a single person bringing down the darkness. But it is more specific.”

“We and those that have proceeded us have watched the goings on but not interfering until we were certain we had the right child. We believe that child to be Harry as well,” Firenze joined in.

“So you all expect my son to face a mad man on his own just like they do?” Severus snarled.

“Not alone. Yes the final blow will come from Harry but he will have all of us there with the exception of Merlin,” Olinda said.

“At least we think that’s how it will go. None of us will be really certain until the Founders are summoned,” Levi spoke.

“Founders; as in Hogwarts’ Founders?” Harry asked.

 “Yes the prophesy is specific to a point as far those involved are concerned but not how it will happen,” Firenze spoke, “Perhaps it would be best to show them the prophesy.”

“Quite right. It was written several hundred years ago right in this room. No one knows by whose hand but all the council member of that time were present. Quill took to parchment of its own accord,” Merlin informed them as he summoned a scroll of parchment. He handed it to Severus and Harry to read.

Father and son read quietly.

With the coming of the son of four

Who shall be marked by mighty Thor

Summon the spirits of the founders four

Slytherin and Ravenclaw

Hufflepuff and Gryffindor

With the number of three by four

The world of darkness shall be no more

Harry hand had risen to touch the lightning bolt scar above his right eye when he read the line about Thor. “How can you be certain this is about me?” he asked.

“We had out doubts as we have in the past,” Levi answered.

“Had? What has changed?” ask Severus with disbelief in his voice. His son didn’t need another burden laid at his feet.

“Ever since you shook hands with me Severus, your left forearm has itched,” Merlin said drawing Snape’s attention to the arm he was absently rubbing through his sleeve.

“It’s the dark mark,” the dark man replied.

“Does Harry bear the same mark?” Olinda asked, “He’s been rubbing his arm too.”

Snape turned to the teen “Does your arm hurt?”

“It itches, like something rubbed up against me.”

“Pull up your sleeves, both of you,” Merlin encouraged.

Reluctantly father and son started baring their arms. Severus heard his son gasp in surprise and turned to see an image was emblazoned on the boy’s skin. He left Harry to marvel at the tattoo as he quickly finished unbuttoning his sleeves and hastily shoving them up his arm. Severus felt tears spring to his eyes when he saw that the ugly mark Voldemort had branded him with all those years ago was gone. Yes it had been replaced by another that it was almost the same as the one that graced Harry’s arm.

They examined each other’s tattoos. Each bore a sword with the hilt near the wrist and crests. Harry’s wrist had five crests two on each side of the blade and one above. Whist Severus’ wrist had three, one either side of the blade and one above the point. The crests seemed familiar Severus but he could not pin point them.

The pair looked to the others in the room for an explanation.

To be continued...
Chapter 7 – Revelations by Saphire_Rose

Merlin summoned a piece of parchment and laid it on the table in front of Severus and Harry.  On it was an enlarged picture of Harry’s tattoo and they could clearly see the four animals of the Founders. “Well that explains why I recognised some of the elements,” said Severus, “What are the rest?”

Merlin spoke about the sword’s blade first. He explained that it was half gold and half silver to represent both Light and Dark. “This crest,” he said pointing to the one above the sword “is mine.”

It was Azure (blue) with a Cerberus over a sword. The old wizard had chosen a Cerberus because it was said to represent ‘Guardian’ as well as ‘Past, present, and future.’ He thought it suited him. The sword was Excalibur. From there he explained the others.

On the left of the blade and closet to the hilt was a ‘per bend’ (divided diagonally) shield. The upper right was Vert (green) with Slytherin’s snake; the lower left was Argent (white) with a silver crown over crossed swords to represent the Prince family. Severus had explained that his mother had been the last to hold the Prince name and that had been denied it by his grandfather because he was not pureblood.

Above that was another ‘per bend’ shield. The upper half was Azure with Ravenclaw’s eagle. The lower was Ermine (white with black spots), a protector helmet with a gold and blue wreath representing the Snape family. Severus had been quite surprised to find that his father was a descendant of Rowena Ravenclaw since his father had no magic.

On the right of the blade and closet to the hilt was a ‘per bend’ shield. The upper was Erminois (gold with black spots) with Hufflepuff’s badger. The lower was Maroon with a fleur-de-lis over an open book. Merlin had explained that Lily’s mother was a descendant of French nobility as well as Helga Hufflepuff.

The last was ‘per bend’ with the upper being Gules (red) with Gryffindor’s lion. The lower was Vair (Blue and white bell-shaped markings) with laurel leaves and a torch.  Lily’s father had been a direct descendant of Godric himself. They had dropped half of the family name in the late eighteen hundreds so they would not be connected with some vicious rumours that were going around at the time.

Harry had listened intently when he and Severus had been told about their linage. The teen was amazed that he came from such long lines. He had been quite overwhelmed when Merlin started explaining. He had gone from being an unloved, unwanted burden at the start of the school year, to finding he had a father that had wanted him and did love him to having a vast majority of Wizarding Britain directly and indirectly related to him.

Merlin and the others told them that the tattoos would not have appeared unless they were the true heirs. Harry had asked why he had three of his father’s crests when his father was still alive. “You are my heir Harry. I don’t have to be dead for that to be recognised,” his father had said with a smile. “I hope to be around for a long time yet, even if that means spending the rest of our days living here.”

“You will be able to return to your realm soon enough Severus,” Levi said.

“It just won’t be right away,” added Ezra.

“Why not?” Harry asked.

“We want to train you for the coming battle,” Patches chimed in.

“We all have different skills we can teach you Harry. Skills that may or may not help but are worth learning,” Olinda spoke up.

“Harry we had planned on approaching you and Severus during the next summer. Your ‘unfortunate mishap’ has allowed us to bring it forward,” Merlin said.

“What part do the Founders play in this?” Severus had asked.

 “That is something we don’t know. It’s possible they have talents to share too we just don’t know,” Merlin said.

“We know how to summon them. We just need something from each of them. Unfortunately there is a problem there,” Firenze spoke up.

“What kind of problem?” Severus asked.

“Harry do you remember the time in the forest when you came across the ‘Shade of Voldemort’ feeding on a unicorn?” Firenze asked. Harry nodded. “That encounter made us wonder how he still existed, we had our suspicions. In your second year when you destroyed that diary it confirmed what we thought that Voldemort had made one if not more Horcruxes.”

“What’s a Horcrux?” the teen asked then wished he hadn’t after they explained.

“We have found four more of them and believe there may be another inside that snake of his,” Ezra said.

“There was a seventh but it was destroyed within minutes of him making it. The night he killed you mother part of his soul lodged within you. When he tried to kill you he inadvertently destroyed part of his soul instead. The backlash destroyed his body,” Levi added.

“So how are the possessions of the Founders and the Horcruxes linked?” Snape asked.

“Riddle, Voldemort, used the items to house the soul fragments in. We are hoping that a potion made from basilisk venom will destroy the fragments but not items,” Olinda said. “That’s where you come in Severus. Besides being trained to fight alongside your son we were hoping you would research a potion. We have a state of the arts lab here, fully equipped and well stocked.”

“So you have basilisk venom?” Snape enquired.

“Not yet. We’re looking for some,” Patches said.

“What about the one in the chamber? It’s still there just dead,” Harry offered.

“We don’t want anyone to know that you are both still alive yet. How can we get to the chamber without anyone seeing us?” Ezra asked.

“Not us just Dad and I. You can’t get in unless you speak Parseltongue. Dad knows what he needs off the snake’s body. We could have Winky apparate us straight into Myrtle’s bathroom. No-one goes in there any way,” the boy said.

Severus looked at his son. He was curious as to how Harry knew about Myrtle and her bathroom but he let it slide for now, instead he asked “What are the items? I need to know so that I can gather enough venom. I’ll harvest other parts as well as they might be just as useful.”

“Winky and Patches would you fetch the items please? Olinda could you get a pair of dragon-hide gloves for Severus please?” Merlin asked.

Levi stood up and walked away from the table. “Harry come stand over here with me please. These items are dark and you don’t need to be exposed to them,” he told the boy.

Olinda returned with the gloves and soon after Winky and Patches returned carrying a locked trunk between them. The others helped lift it onto the table and then stepped back. Merlin took out an ornate key from his robe pocket and unlocked the trunk saying “We don’t use any magic near this chest or its contents. It’s safer that way.” He stood back and instructed Snape to put on the gloves then open the lid.

Inside lying on a bed of straw were a goblet, a tiara, a locket and a ring. As Severus carefully lifted each one out Merlin briefly explained its history. The first was goblet wrought in gold with a badger engraved on it. The older wizard confirmed it was Hufflepuff’s and went on to say that it had been found in one of Bellatrix LeStrange’s vaults. The goblins had been quite happy to surrender it once they verified it did indeed house Voldemort’s soul fragment.

Next he withdrew the ring. In Severus’ opinion it was rather ugly, fashioned from gold with a large dark stone. The ring had originally belonged to Gryffindor but he had given it to Slytherin when Salazar had said he liked it. It had been handed down through the family. Riddle’s mother had once owned it.

The tiara was bought out next; it was wrought in silver and set with semiprecious and precious gems. The most ornate feature were mirror image Rs made up of sapphires. Winky had found it discarded in some obscure room at Hogwarts.

Last was the locket. It was made of a heavy gold and had an ornate serpentine S, the mark of Salazar. Merlin told of the difficulties he endured to secure it. A very rude, very disgruntled house elf by the name of Kreacher was very unwilling to part with it. The old wizard had to explain himself to the portrait of the elf’s beloved mistress Mrs. Black.

Harry and Severus had known only too well of whom Merlin was speaking. “You should have waited,” Severus said rather dryly, “Harry could have gotten it for you without any problem.”

“Oh, how?” Merlin asked sounding a bit put out.

“Harry is the sole heir to the Black fortune, said elf included,” Snape smirked. Merlin chuckled.

Severus asked for a set of scales, parchment and quill. All were supplied quickly and set about taking notes pertaining to each item. He then packed them back in the chest and closed the lid. The key turning in the lock again secured it.

Severus decided to harvest everything he could from the basilisk’s corpse. He, Ezra and Levi went to the lab to collect specimen jars, vials and collecting tools. Winky apparated to Hogwarts and warded the girl’s bathroom on the second floor. If anyone came near it they would immediately remember they had to be somewhere else and would leave. She returned to Camelot to await Severus.

When all was ready she apparated father and son to the warded room. Harry walked over to the sink and commanded it to open in Parseltongue. He stepped back and waited for the entrance to reveal itself. A wicked little smile crossed his face before he jumped into the opening. He knew of the slide and the rapid decent, his father did not.

To be continued...
Chapter 8 - Retrieval by Saphire_Rose

Severus watched as his teenage son disappeared into a gaping hole in the floor. He quickly turned to Winky and asked her to pack some clothes for their stay at Camelot then went to the hole to follow his son. He squatted next to the opening and cast Lumos. He could see that there was a sloping tunnel. He carefully lowered himself but he misjudged the angle, losing his footing, his body twisting sideways and finding himself hurtling along at great speed face down and feet first. He had dropped his wand and could hear it clattering ahead of him. His now empty hands were scrabbling for anything to grab onto to slow his decent. He spread his feet hoping to use them as brakes but the tread on his boots found no purchase. He started muttering dire threats directed at his son, “The brat was going to pay, several times over.” “Harry was going to suffer a long and painful death.” “There better be a soft landing or he’s not going to sit for a week.”

Unbeknownst to anyone Harry had returned to the Chamber of Secrets many times. He had cleaned out all the animal bones that had been at the base of the slide the first time. He had also placed a cushioning charm on the floor so he would have a soft landing every time. He hoped his father wouldn’t be too upset with him.

Harry had been rather startled when his father’s wand came shooting out of the pipe followed by a string of muffled words. He briefly wondered if had happened but that fleeting feeling of guilt soon turned to awe and shock as Severus shot out the opening feet first and he winced when his father landed on his belly with a muffled curse.

Severus groaned, twice in one day he had managed to land in an undignified heap. He scrambled to his feet and glared at his son. Snape’s undignified entrance coupled with his unkempt look had Harry’s eyes watering and his lips twitching.  “If you value your life my boy, you will not laugh,” he growled.

Harry was quick to wipe the smile off his face at his father’s words but merriment still lit his eyes. He couldn’t wait to tell Ron and Hermione about what he had done.

“Well where is it? We haven’t got all day,” Snape snapped. Harry didn’t let it bother him. He knew his father was eager to get to the waiting corpse. Little was said as the two made their way through the corridors and doorways to the cavernous room where Harry had fought and killed the basilisk.

Snape had stared wide eyed at the sixty foot, perfectly preserved, scaly body of the king of snakes, that had once been Salazar Slytherin’s familiar. In his mind’s eye he could see a twelve year Harry facing the monstrous beast when it was alive. “How did you kill it?” he asked quietly. The teen told his father what happened that day. How Fawkes had helped by bringing Gryffindor’s sword and blinding the snake. As his son told his tale Severus felt pride and anger battle it out within him only to become overpowered by another emotion - love. His love for his son, his Harry made him want to take the boy into his arms and never let go. To keep him from harm’s way but he knew that he could not. Harry had already faced so much without him. He would stand by his son’s side in the upcoming battle and help him.

When the story reached its end he did draw the boy into an embrace more to reassure himself that the boy was really alright, “Come on Brat, we have work to do.”

As Severus walked about the beast trying to figure out where would be the best place to start Harry recalled seeing some diagrams in a book about basilisks in Slytherin’s study. He told his father not to start yet and hurried off to find the tome. He returned a few minutes later with the book open to the relevant pages. “This might help,” he said handing it over and indicating the drawings.

Severus looked at his son, ‘Time enough for questions later,’ he thought. “Can you translate this?” he asked indicating the text.

“Yes Dad. The drawings should be enough though.”

“What does it say about preparation?”

“To cast a sterilised containment field and to make sure all equipment including clothing especially gloves are sterile.”

Severus nodded and set about sterilising the work area. He levitated part of the snake to lay sterile drapes down. As he set out his equipment he realised that he didn’t have enough jars and vials. He sent Harry to summon Winky and get her to retrieve more from his private lab in his quarters. On the return journey Harry stopped by Salazar’s lab and retrieved more from there.

“There are more books on basilisks in the study and the lab. They’re in Parseltongue. We could take them with us,” he told Severus.

“After we’re finished we’ll go through them together. I’ll make copies of the useful ones. The originals should stay here.”

Using the diagrams Severus cautiously removed the remaining upper fang and the poison sacs, which contained over two litres of venom, by cutting into the soft pallet of the snake’s upper jaw. He made sure the jars were sealed tightly. Then he and Harry carefully took the skin off in large pieces. The book instructed that the pieces should be stacked with the insides facing to keep in the moisture in.

It took nearly four hours but Severus made sure they had as many different samples as possible including bone, cartilage and internal organs. He cast strong preserving charms over the remainders despite Harry telling him he didn’t need to that such charms were already in place. He informed his son that he was doing it for his own piece of mind. With the specimens safely stored in their travelling cases they levitated them to the entrance of the inner chamber. Harry then led his father to Slytherin’s office cum library.

The younger wizard watched as the older as his eyes gazed longingly at all the books. Some of them were very rare and Harry could see Severus’ fingers twitching. To his credit the older man mentally shook himself from his daze, ‘Time enough to look at them later,’ he thought before asking, “Which books Harry?”

Severus watched as Harry raised his wand and incanted something in Parseltongue. Several tomes flew from the shelves to land in a neat stack on the desk. Harry read the title of the top most book, “’Know Your Basilisk, A Guide for Raising and Harvesting for Potions and Profit.’ The other books will have some reference to basilisks in them.”

Severus cast a duplicating spell and a second stack appeared. “These will only last a year. It works that way so there is no breach of copyright etcetera. Time we were going Brat.” Snape shrunk the books and put them in one of his pockets.

They left the office and the chamber, Harry securing the doors behind them. When they got back to the slide Severus paused and looked up, “How do we get back up?”

“The first time Fawkes flew us out.”

“And now?”

Harry muttered a few words in Parseltongue and a grinding noise could be heard. Severus watch as stone blocks came out of the wall forming a zigzagging staircase. “It used to be a circular one but I changed it after I got dizzy too many going up and down,” Harry said blithely.  

“Are you saying that I could have walked down the stairs? That I didn’t have to come down that... that chute?” Snape asked too calmly.

“Yes Sir,” the teen replied not looking at his father.

“Brat,” Severus declared as his hand cracked across the boy’s backside.

“Ow Dad.”

“Start climbing mister if you don’t want any more of those in the near future.”

Harry cast a woeful look at the older man and started up the stairs. He would have preferred that his father went first so he didn’t feel quite so vulnerable. The walk up the stairs was arduous as they were levitating the storage boxes with them. Snape had decided not to risk the specimens by shrinking them. Harry sighed with relief when he finally stepped through the entrance hole and into the bathroom. Moving a few feet from it he carefully lowered the crate to the floor.

Snape’s box soon joined it. Winky was summonsed and asked if all was ready. Winky assured them that she had packed enough clothes and things for them. “They’re already at Camelot waiting for yous,” she told them. The elf stood so that she had one hand on each of the crates. She instructed the wizards to hold on to her shoulders. When they were ready they ‘popped’ out of the castle and back to Camelot where they were greeted by Levi and Ezra.

“The others have returned to their realms,” Ezra explained, “Merlin is waiting to join you for dinner in your quarters.”

“I want to see to these specimens first,” said Snape, “Harry do you want to help me or go spend some time with Merlin?”

“If we both do it it’ll be done quicker,” Harry said.

“We’ll help too,” the other two chimed in.

With Levi and Ezra leading the way and levitating the boxes Snape and Harry followed. Harry gazed around at the pristine lab with its white floor, walls and ceiling. The ceiling had skylights that allowed a lot of natural light in. To the left and right of the main door were the sinks that were stainless steel. In the corners next to the sinks were fume hoods. These lead to two walls of shelves and glassed in cabinets with all kinds of equipment. On the wall opposite the main door were two other doors one labelled ‘Cold Storage’ the other ‘Dry Storage’. There were various work stations that had different tops, some he recognised, stainless steel, marble, copper, pewter, wood and Harry was sure one of them was gold.

Severus removed the stack of books from his pocket and unshrank them as the other two put the crates on one of the wooden tables. He took ’Know Your Basilisk’ off the stack and handed it to Harry. “What does the book say about storing the specimens?” he asked.

 Harry found the relevant page and began reading out loud. “English please son,” Severus gently chided.

The young wizard blushed, “Sorry Dad forgot you don’t speak Parseltongue. It says to store the venom in a cool place away from light until needed. The skin should be stored in two ways, the underbelly should be left on a rack in the sun for two days then stored in a dry place. The remainder should be kept moist but not wet. The flesh can be used fresh or dried. Fresh pieces should be kept in a cool place with preserving charms. To dry the flesh cut it into pieces the size of your hand and as thick as a finger. Place onto drying trays and place in the sun or a drying cabinet.”

“We can take the things that need to be dried into your realm. Timing is usually very important and since the instructions are from your world it would be best,” Ezra said.

They set about preparing the specimens. It didn’t take too long as Severus had already cut the flesh into manageable pieces. Once they were done the lab was set to rights. Levi prepared to transport the drying racks and trays while Ezra walked the Snapes to their quarters. “Merlin will join you in an hour. That’ll give you time to freshen up,” Ezra said as he opened the door. “You can place wards on the door if you wish. Good day gentleman.” Both Snapes said their goodbyes then turned to look over their rooms. To their great relief the rooms were the same as the ones in their private quarters in Hogwarts. It would make finding their way around so much easier. Severus looked at his watch. It was nearing seven pm their time and there was still some unfinished business to attend to.

“Bath Brat,” Severus said turning his son in the direction of his room, “Put your pajamas on afterwards.”

“Daaaaaad Merlin’s coming,” whined Harry.

Severus’ right eyebrow shot up, “Don’t whine Harry. You should be thankful that I’m not spanking you and putting you to bed without dinner.”

To his credit the teen didn’t argue any further and went off muttering. Severus smiled when he heard the startled yelp coming from the bedroom. He loved stinging hexes.

To be continued...
Chapter 9 - Reunion and Retirement by Saphire_Rose
Author's Notes:
Edited July 2019 to make Fudge's character portrayal more cohesive.

In the hours the Snape men had been gathering their specimens Winky had been busy gathering their clothing and other things she thought they may need. She had taken them back to Camelot and began preparing a suite of rooms for the new arrivals. To make the transition easier, especially for Harry, she had the new rooms identical to the ones at Hogwarts. She knew the younger Snape suffered from terrible nightmares despite his father’s efforts in training him in occlumency. With that in mind she conjured up a large rocking chair in the corner near the bed head.

As she stood looking at the chair she recalled Dobby telling her that Master Potions Master had talked to Mistress Madame Pomfrey about Master Harry’s past and he suffered with nightmares but fear of abandonment. The Mediwitch had suggested the rocking chair. Dobby and the new father had been rather sceptical at first, but after one night of terrible dreams and screams Dobby had seen the anxious father lift his son from his bed and sit in the rocking chair with him. As Severus rocked and soothed Harry had quietened and relaxed much to the older man’s surprised. He couldn’t help the smile that threatened to split his face in two when his son snuggled into his chest and quite innocently said “Love you Daddy.”

Dobby too had smiled before quietly popping away leaving the Snapes in peace.

As Winky went about her work she wondered where Dobby was. He hadn’t been at Hogwarts when she was there. She thought he would have come to her to tell her what had happened. Then she remembered Harry saying that Dobby had gone to the Ministry with him. Had Dobby been in the room when the boy and his father fell though the Veil?

Despite Dobby being a free elf he had sworn to serve Harry and Winky was concerned about what would happen to her friend. She decided to find Merlin and ask him.

***

In a quiet room away from the main hub of Camelot a small figure was tossing in his bed, his sleep disturbed by images of a dark haired young man rushing headlong into disaster. The cry of “Dad” followed shortly after by screams and cries of anguish as the boy disappeared from sight. The images blurred after that and he had a feeling that something else had happened. As his dream faded and reality closed in he recalled feeling as if he was pulled through time and space itself before slamming into something solid.

Dobby’s large eyes blinked open and he was looking at a white ceiling. It took a few seconds for him to realise that it was not the roof of his room at Hogwarts. Thinking of the school reminded him of his dream and he realised that it had really happened. He had been at the Ministry with Harry Potter. His young friend had wanted to see his father one last time. They had barely made it to the chamber in time. The prisoners were already entering the room and as he had stood there watching the teen had raced down the steps. He watched in horror as the boy that he had come to love fell through the Veil with his father.

The little elf began weeping for his lost friend.”I’s sorry Harry Potter,” he wailed, “I ‘s should have said no. I’s should have left yous at school.” Dobby began pulling at his own ears to punish himself as house elves were wont to do. He soon decided that it wasn’t enough and began banging his head against the wall. After a few minutes of weeping and banging he stopped the latter and curled up into a ball to mourn for his lost friend.  

Slowly reason crept in and the little elf began to feel something that shouldn’t have been there if his friend was dead. Even though the boy was not his master they had formed a magical bond. Harry had given him his friendship and had freed him from a cruel master in return Dobby had given him his friendship and loyalty. The elf’s wails subsided to heavy sobs as he felt the bond, his and Harry’s bond, it was still intact. Dobby sat up suddenly, if the bond was there then Harry Potter wasn’t dead but where was he? Perhaps he was somewhere nearby if he could feel it.

He didn’t think he should leave the room. He was pretty sure he wasn’t at Hogwarts if that strange journey was anything to go by. Dobby searched his memory trying to recall if his grandmother or his parents had ever said anything about what happens when ones master slips into another realm. He had no doubt that that was what had happened. Sadly there was nothing there. He just hoped he wouldn’t have to wait for too long for someone to come and tell him where he was and what had happened to Harry.

He heard footsteps outside the door so he sat up straighter and made himself presentable. The door soon opened and he found himself with an armful or two of a tearful Winky. Behind her stood a man he did not recognise. He comforted and soothed his friend, reassuring her that he was alright.

Winky introduced him to the man at the door as the Merlin and together they told him where he was and what had happened to Harry and his dad. Merlin explained to both elves that the bond that Dobby shared with Harry had pulled him into this realm. The told Dobby that the Snapes would return when Harry was battle ready and that he could stay and help out where needed. With Dobby in Camelot Winky would be free to return to Hogwarts to keep an eye on things.

*   *   *   *   *

Cornelius Fudge had fled the death chamber with his personal guard consisting of six high ranked Aurors. They had dutifully kept the press at bay as they made their way to the Minister’s office. Once he was in the outer office he had barked orders at his secretary to keep everyone except his advisors out. He ordered the guards to stay and help. He called for a house elf and ordered tea before his advisors arrived. He really wished Malfoy was still alive. He would have known how to get out of the situation.

As he waited for his tea his private floo flared to life and his wife’s voice captured his attention. “Cornelius I just had a reporter asking me if I shared your views about Harry Potter. He also asked how I was feeling about the boy’s death. What have you done?”

“I did nothing Jacqueline the fool child fell through the Veil with his Death Eater father. I may have said I didn’t like the boy,” Fudge tried to reassure his wife.

“The reporter said you thought he was nothing more than a weapon.”

“Minerva McGonagall said that.”

“Did you dispute it?”

“No I left the room. There were reporters there. I have to speak to my advisers and work out what to do. By now a lot of people will know what has happened. They will probably tell me to resign. If that happens we’ll have to leave England.”

“We? No way are you dragging me into this Cornelius. I told you to leave the Snapes be; to make Severus exempt from that stupid law. You’re on your own.”

Jacqueline Fudge disappeared from the floo just as the Minister’s advisers were announced. They hadn’t even closed the door before the small group of political wannabes was urging the Minister to call a press conference. Fudge was reluctant to do so; too many people had heard his words. As they hashed out theories and ideas they were interrupted by Fudge’s secretary. “You should read this,” she said handing over a piece of paper. It was a headline page for an upcoming special edition of the Daily Profit. The bold, large type read:

 HARRY POTTER DEAD

ASSASSINATED?

Special Edition 4pm Today.

Fudge glared at the paper then ordered everyone out of his office after telling them to call a press conference in thirty minutes. Perhaps they could salvage something from it.

***

Cornelius Oswald Fudge sat at his ornate desk cradling a tumbler of firewhiskey in his hand. The press meeting had not gone well. The only statement he was able to refute was the one Minerva made about Potter being a weapon. When he had returned to his office he had found divorce papers awaiting his signature. He didn’t bother reading them. Almost everything had belonged to his wife so he knew there would be nothing to contest. He just called his secretary in and had her witness him signing them.

His world was falling apart. He leaned back in his chair, took a large sip of the amber liquid and closed his eyes. Even dead the damned brat was still a thorn in his side. He knew that the people would be calling for his resignation by nightfall. “What the hell am I going to do?” he asked himself, “I suppose I could go back to my old job.”

Before he had become the Minister of Magic Fudge had been a rather successful healer, in fact he was a Master Healer specialising in spell damage and curses. He had grown unhappy with his chosen field though because it did not bring him the prestige he wanted. So when the opportunity to run for Minister came up he took it. He soon realised that it had been a mistake though. He didn’t have the backbone to stand up to people like Lucius Malfoy and had instead allowed the man to practically rule wizarding Britain through him. If anyone really cared to look they would find the blond aristocrat’s hand in almost everything, especially the laws pertaining to werewolves, vampires, elves and other creatures considered dark or half breeds.

Despite being in office he had kept in touch with some colleagues from his former profession and stayed up to date with new research, treatments and teachings. Somewhere in the back of his mind he had realised he just might need it to fall back on one day.

He took another sip feeling the burn slide down his throat. He became aware of the room getting brighter and slowly opened his eyes.To his chagrin he let out a high pitched squeal when he saw someone standing in front of him. “Merlin’s bloody beard where’d you come from?” he spluttered reaching for his panic button that suddenly wasn’t there.

“My beard is not bloody,” the man responded, “and stop trying to find the button I got rid of it.”

“Your… your beard? Do you think you’re Merlin?”

“Don’t think for I know I am. We don’t have time for hows and whys. Your Aurors, I believe you call them, can’t keep the mob back for much longer. I’ve come to offer you a way out of this mess you’ve created.”

“A way out? How? Why? What?”

“Some things need to be left for now. What I can and will say is this. You will resign as Minister and appoint Arthur Weasley as your successor. You will give him that secret file of yours so he can right some of your wrongs. You will tell the press that you are going abroad to contemplate your animosity towards Harry Potter and what it has led to. After that we will go get what is left of your things and take our leave. You will have a chance to redeem yourself in the upcoming war but only if we leave in the next hour. Oh, one more thing, you won’t be able to mention me.”

“Now see here you can’t seriously expect me to just pack up and leave. As for putting Weasley in charge that’s a joke, right?” Cornelius said indignantly as he jumped to his feet.

 

“I know your wife has left you. I know the people who once elected you to office are now after your blood, quite possibly literally. Arthur Weasley will make an excellent replacement for you. He isn’t corrupt nor is he easily swayed. He’ll work hard to try to put things right. Whilst you may not have what it takes to run a Ministry you do have what it takes to be a specialist healer and that is what I need at the moment.”

“I need a few minutes,” Fudge said buying for time. ‘Do I really want to give all of this up?’ he thought to himself.

‘Did you really just ask that stupid question? Your wife is gone and most of the house with her. They want you to resign because of the brat. Anyone else and they probably wouldn’t have cared.’

‘But what’s in it for me?’

 ‘Ask him.’

“What’s in this for me?” he asked out loud.

“A chance to redeem yourself in the eyes of the people. You can spend the rest of your years in seclusion, never knowing when or if someone was going to kill you for what has happened. Or, you can leave it all behind you and help work to better future with myself and my associates.”

Fudge wasn’t a total fool. He instructed his secretary to arrange another press conference and to have Arthur Weasley join him as soon as possible. “Have him use the floo,” he told her.

“Yes Minster.”

The flames soon flared green and the red haired man joined him. “Arthur thank you for coming so quickly. After all that has happened today I have decided to resign immediately. If you have no objections I would like to name you as my successor.”

Arthur Weasley stood gaping at the man across the room. He was sure he hadn’t heard right. “I’m sorry Minister I don’t understand. What has happened?”

“Surely you’ve heard the news by now.”

“I heard what I thought were rumours. Are… are you saying it’s true? That Harry is dead.”

“I’m afraid so Arthur.”

“Molly, the children. I have to… I have to go.” Arthur made to leave but Fudge stopped him.

“Arthur I’m sorry but I have to know if you are willing to take over the Ministerial office.”

“What? Oh. You’re resigning. Yes, yes I’ll do it but I need some time to be with Molly and the children.”

“I’ll make the announcement and tell the press that you’ll meet with them later.”

“Yes, yes.”

In a daze Arthur Weasley left the office of Cornelius Oswald Fudge.

Fudge called his personal elves and asked them to pack up his office and whatever was left at the mansion. As the elves set about their task Cornelius left his office to face the press once again. He was tempted to turn back when the reporters but he noticed Merlin in the back of the room. He made his way to the podium and waited for the room to quieten down.

“Ladies and Gentlemen of the press thank you for returning here at such short notice,” a nervous voice rang out across the room, “I won’t be keeping you long. I have a few things to say and I will not be answering any questions. I am resigning as Minister of Magic effective immediately. Arthur Weasley will be taking over the office. He is currently unavailable for comment as he is with his wife and children at this time.

Shortly I will returning to the mansion I once shared with my wife. She has successfully petitioned for divorce. I will collect my personal effects then I will be leaving England for parts unknown. I will be spending my time in self imposed exile contemplating my relationship or lack thereof with Harry Potter. I will leave you to mourn in peace and ask that join me in reflecting upon what could have been. Thank you.”

Shortly after his historical speech Cornelius Oswald Fudge disappeared from the wizarding world.

To be continued...
Chapter 10 - Remembrance and Realisation by Saphire_Rose

Minerva sat in the living room of the quarters she shared with Albus lost in thought. After returning from the Ministry her love had left her in the capable hands of the matron as he went to deal with the fallout of what had happened. She didn’t envy him having to tell Harry’s friends or the Weasley family.

Her mind strayed to when she had first heard that Harry was supposedly Severus’ son and not James’. She had been skeptical thinking at first that Snape was up to no good and was toying with Harry for she had no memory of the engagement or wedding. When she had questioned Poppy she had been adamant that she delivered James and Lily Potter’s baby.

Severus had knocked at her door about a week after the discovery. In his hand he had a potion vial. “What can I do for Severus?” she had asked rather coldly.

“I would like to share a memory with you then give you this,” he held up the vial, “to take. It will restore your memories. Albus and I have taken it, as has Poppy and some others. Albus has asked that you wait until he is here to take it though. He thinks you might need comforting.”

The old tabby didn’t miss the smirk on the young man’s face or the spark in his eyes. She cuffed him smartly up the side of the head, “Behave young man. You’re not too old remember?”

“You wouldn’t?”

“Not me, Albus.”

“Yes Ma’am,” he said earning himself a second cuff. This time his hand flew up to rub the sting and his cheeks reddened, “Yes Mum.”

She smiled at him then told him to get her Pensieve out of the cupboard while she cleared her desk. When the Pensieve was in place she watched him withdraw a memory with the tip of his wand and place it. “Alone or together?” he asked.

“Alone,” she said bending forward and slipping into the memory.

“To keep Lily and the baby safe we’ll be placing charms on the baby to make him or her look like James. We’ll be altering records to make it look as though they were married. Only when the truth is revealed will everything change to the way it should be. The baby is the only exception he or she will not change until the Dark Lord is dead.” Severus, Lily and James stood in her office telling her of their plans. “We can either Obliviate you or we can hide your memories deep in your mind. They can be restored later with a potion.”

She had chosen the second option. She and Albus had never been blessed with children and she looked upon these three as surrogate children, to the extent of encouraging Severus to call her Mum when they were in private. She had known that the two young men hadn’t always been friends. Lily had drawn them together.

When she was back in her office Minerva rounded her desk and hugged a startled Snape. “You poor lad,” she whispered in his ear.

“It was for the best Mum. I just hope Harry can forgive me for the way I treated him up until now.”

Minerva heard the sadness and fear in his voice. She hoped so too. She hadn’t been blind to Harry’s unhappiness with the Dursleys but the child had never come forth and said anything. Severus and Harry needed this, needed each other.

“He will. Give him time to adjust. Give yourself time too. It’s a big thing for both of you.”

They talked quietly as they waited for Albus. Severus told her of his intention to announce Harry’s parentage to the school that evening. He explained that once her memories were restored all the records would change to show the truth. It would only be a matter of time before the details got out and he wanted the students to know the truth not some fabrication of the Ministry’s. Then there was Umbridge she was bound to go running to Fudge.

 When Albus finally joined them he suggested going to their private quarters as it was best she lie down after taking the potion. Albus sat down at one end of the sofa and drew her down next to him. “Lie down Minnie,” he said patting his lap. Severus coughed in an attempt to cover up the small chuckle that had escaped.

“Not one word Severus Tobias Snape,” Minerva growled.

Without looking at her Snape handed her the potion to take. It had tasted horrible as potions often do. She lay back and closed her eyes grateful that Albus was there stroking her hair as her memories returned. It was all there Lily’s excitement when she told Minerva of her engagement. The angst and heartbreak when Lily’s sister had declared she wasn’t attending a freak show of a wedding. The open love the two had shared on their wedding day and the beautiful swirling magic that showed that soul mates had found each other. The day that Severus had dragged her and Albus into the infirmary to show them the magic scan of their unborn child.

Once her restored memories had settled Minerva opened her eyes and slowly sat up. She noticed her face was wet, she had cried tears of joy and sadness as each memory unfolded. She turned to Albus, buried her face in his chest and wept. The two men managed to get a calming potion into her. When she pulled herself back together she looked at Severus and offered to help in any way she could. Severus had lamented that there were no photos of him and Lily on their special days. Those words triggered another memory and had the elderly witch hurrying out of the room.

She returned with a box and handed it to Severus. “James bought that to me before he and Lily went into hiding. He told me to keep it safe and that I would know when it was time to give it to you.”

Sadness flooded the young man’s eyes and his hands shook as he opened the box revealing a photo album. “It… it’s the album Lily and I put together.”

Albus got up from where he was sitting and went to Severus, he gently tugged the box out of his hands and turned to give it to Minerva. “Come and sit with us son, we can look at it together.”

The older two barely heard the ‘yes dad’ that escaped Snape’s lips.

*****

It was a very tired and greatly saddened Albus Dumbledore that returned to his tower office and sunk wearily into his chair behind his desk. He had left Minerva with Poppy; he would join them later after he had spoken to the Weasleys and Hermione. He was not looking forward to telling them what had happened. Before he had left the Ministry Kingsley had offered to find Arthur and have him floo through to Hogwarts. Albus would get the Weasley patriarch to call his wife and ask her to join them. A house elf would bring Hermione, Ron, the twins and Ginny.

As he waited his attention was drawn to his glass, silver and chrome gadgets that whirled and twirled, beeped and hummed. They were all doing their thing. Albus sat up something was off. He got up and walked to one of the tables. It was Harry’s table and the one next to it was Severus’. Everything was working perfectly on both tables. If Severus and Harry were dead the instruments would be still and silent. He stood there stroking his beard pondering what it meant.

He heard Fawkes trilling and turned to look at his feathered friend. He was surprised to see the phoenix leaning into the touch of a stranger. Instinct told him he had nothing to fear from this intruder. His familiar was a good judge of character. The stranger turned and focused on Albus. The Headmaster gasped when it dawned on him just who was visiting.

“Greetings Albus Dumbledore,” Merlin said.

“Merlin?” Albus blustered shaking his head, “No you’re… he… Merlin’s dead.”

“Yes I am he and contrary to the rumours I am very much alive. Perhaps we should sit down.”

“Yes, yes,” said Dumbledore making his way to his chair. He waited for Merlin to sit also, “Lemon drop, tea?”

“No thank you. I cannot stay long. It would appear that you have already worked out that your boys are not dead. I must ask that you not reveal this to anyone.”

“Not even Minnie?”

“No one Albus. It’s for…”

“…the greater good. I know, I know,’ finished Albus sadly, “I just hope she’ll forgive when she finds out I knew.”

“You’ll have to do something about your little gadgets,” Merlin said indicating the tables Albus had just been studying, “They’ll give the game away.”

“Where are they? How are they?” Albus asked as he cast a concealment charm on the tables.

“They are in Camelot and they are both well. They are quite safe and will train to defeat Voldemort once and for all. I promise we’ll tell you everything once it’s safe to do so. I know it’s going to be hard for you to keep everyone in the dark but we need to keep our advantage. Try to put off any memorial service for as long as possible. If all goes well you won’t need to have one. Now I have two requests of you before I leave you to your unpleasant task. I would like to take the Sword of Gryffindor with me. I would also like for you to wear this pendant. I have no doubt I will need to come back here and the pendant will warn you so that you can make sure your office is empty.”

Albus took the silver chain and examined the medallion attached. It had a gryffin and basilisk engraved on it. He placed it around his neck. He got up and made his way to one of the many shelves in the room and took down the same sword Harry had slain a basilisk with in his second year. He handed to the venerable wizard. “Take care of my boys for me. Don’t let Severus work too hard on potions. He gets too absorbed and will forget to stop to eat or sleep. As for Harry if there is trouble to be found he’ll find it, just like he did today.”

“I’ll keep watch. There are ways to slip someone a sleeping draught,” Albus chuckled at the thought of Severus being tricked into taking one of his own concoctions.  “As for your grandson I have no doubt his father can keep him in line.”

The floo flared and before Albus could answer Merlin said goodbye and vanished. “Albus? Albus, Kingsley said you wanted to speak to me. Does it have to do with Harry?” Arthur said.

“Come through please Arthur.” Arthur stepped through looking expectantly at Albus. “So you heard?”

“I thought it was rumours at first. I haven’t been home yet Albus. Poor Molly she must have heard by now.”

“Why don’t you call home and have her come here. I’ll get the elves to bring tea.”

“Tea? At a time like this?”

“It’s a special calming blend Arthur.”

The older Weasley understood and nodded. A couple of minutes passed before Molly stumbled through the floo. She was already in tears and was clinging to her husband, her grief quite evident. The men managed to get her to sit down and to have a spot of tea while she gathered herself so they could tell the children.

As the calming draught took effect Albus summoned three house elves. He sent them to bring the Weasley children and Hermione Granger to his office. “Apparate them here please,” he told them.

“Yes Headmaster Dumblydore Sir,” the elves chorused and popped away as he conjured more chairs.

Headmaster Dumbledore felt his age and then some when he delivered the news that would shatter the children who had come to see Harry as their brother. The calming draught was still working and Molly was able to comfort her daughter as Arthur supported the twins. Ron and Hermione had turned to each other. When their initial grief faded the questions started. “Professor Dumbledore how did Harry get out of the school and to the Ministry?” Hermione asked through her sniffles.

Dumbledore fiddled with his beard as he contemplated her question, “I seem to recall… Rollo.”

Head house elf Rollo popped into the room bowing low to Albus, “Yes Headmaster Dumblydore Sir?” the elf squeaked.

“Have you seen Dobby?”

“Dobby? Not since he was called to the Master Potions Master’s rooms.”

“Does that answer your question Miss. Granger?”

He thanked Rollo and asked the elf to organise some juice and cookies for the children.

“But how did they get out? Surely you were watching the floo and Harry can’t apparate,” the young witch was beginning to get angry.

“It’s not the Headmaster’s fault Hermione. Elves can apparate in and out despite wards and they can take people with them,” Molly spoke up.

“I’m… I’m sorry,” Hermione said bursting into tears again. “I… I… just don’t understand.”

“If anyone is to blame…”

“… it’s Fudge and his stupid law,” Fred and George said, the others agreed.

“Why didn’t he listen Dad? To Harry when Vol… Voldemort returned. To others when they asked him to spare Snape. Yeah he’s greasy and snarky but he’s Harry’s dad,” Ron choked out as he comforted Hermione.

“I don’t know son. Some people just don’t want to admit they are wrong.

“We should send him…”

“…something special,” the twins said a mischievous smile trying to cross their faces.

“That’s enough boys,” Arthur chided.

“He never liked Harry. Hopefully he’ll be forced out of office for this. He doesn’t deserve to be Minister,” Ron spat.

“He’s not,” Arthur said calmly. He didn’t want to lessen the grief his family was feeling but he needed to tell them before it made the paper.

“What they kicked him out already? Good riddance to bad rubbish I say,” Molly said before muttering to herself about dimwits who let power go to their heads.

“Hope the new Minister isn’t like that,” Ginny said quietly as she pulled away from her mother.

“I can assure you he’s not,” Arthur said quietly.

“What they’ve got someone already?” Albus asked.

“Yes Albus. Fudge appointed his successor before he left.”

“Who?” they all asked.

“Me.”

It took a while for Arthur’s news to sink in. Molly threw her arms about her husband, “Arthur that’s wonderful. If only Harry was…” Tears gathered in Molly’s eyes as she realised where her words were taking her. She started crying softly which in turn set Ginny and Hermione off again.

“I still can’t believe it,” Ron said shaking his head, “Why did it have to be Harry?”

At his words the witches’ soft cries became wails of despair and heartbreak.

Albus took pity on the children and with Arthur’s help got all of them to take a calming potion. When all were relatively calm they began talking about what would be happening over the next few days. Dumbledore would make a formal announcement after classes in the Great Hall. He asked the children if they wanted to go home with their presents but they chose to say.

“Dad will have enough to do…”

“…with his new position…”

“…and organising a memorial service”

“…for Snape and Harry.”

The Headmaster was grateful that the twins had bought up the topic as he hadn’t really wanted to. As a group they agreed that there would be two official memorials; one at the school for the students and staff; the other at the Ministry. Since the children were the closest thing Harry had to brothers and sisters it was decided to let them organise the school one. “It will help them find closure,” Mr. Weasley said quietly.

It was a sad group that parted company an hour later. The Weasley parents to their home to spend time with their older children before Arthur had to return to the Ministry. The five Gryffindors went up to their common room. They would join the rest of the students after classes but for now needed time to pull themselves back together.

Albus walked across the room to Fawkes. “Severus better tan that boy’s hide but good for what he has put me through, my friend.” Fawkes just trilled happily, he knew the old man was secretly very happy that both his boys were fine.

To be continued...
Chapter 11 - Dinner and Discussions by Saphire_Rose
Author's Notes:
Thank you celticbear for the encouraging words.

Merlin was indeed a welcomed dinner guest in the Snapes’ rooms that evening. As they ate a fine meal of shepherd’s pie with a garden salad and warm crusty bread, Merlin and Harry talked about the young Gryffindor’s many adventures at school. At one point Harry had been so caught up in telling tales that he forgot his father was in the room and let slip some unknown facts that the Potions Master quickly picked up on.

“So it was Miss. Granger who raided my stores second year?” Snape asked smoothly.

“Yes after I caused the explosion and dis… Dad that is so not fair,” Harry pouted.

“I take it you didn’t know Severus?” Merlin asked.

“I never got the whole story but I can put the pieces together now. You, child, created a distraction using a firework, no doubt obtained from the Weasley twins. Whilst I was busy dealing with the aftermath of Goyle’s exploded cauldron Miss. Granger left the room and raided my private stores. I do believe that I promised to have the firework wielding menace expelled if I ever found out who it was,” the Potions Master said menacingly.

“Dad it was three years ago. Let it go, please?” Harry begged.

Severus grumped and told the boy to go on with the story.

As the last dish was cleared off the table Severus summoned some writing implements and the three wizards began writing things down, a list of things that needed to be done and a timetable for Harry to follow. Severus was adamant that Harry should continue with his studies. His son had protested until Merlin added his thoughts. The elder wizard reasoned that Harry would most likely be requested to attend Ministry orchestrated events as well as private functions. Studying ahead now would mean that he wouldn’t fall behind in his own time. Reluctantly the teen agreed.

The Potions Master decided that Harry really didn’t need to study Divination so he was willing to let the boy drop it, giving the teen extra time for sparring lessons. It was decided to get Harry into an exercise routine with weight training, swimming and running, to build muscle strength and stamina. Wielding weapons was not an easy task and who knew how long the final battle would last.

Merlin had suggested that Harry be taught healing charms. “Always useful on battlefields, you can’t always get medical help,” he had told them.

“I’ll make some healing potions and put them in charmed vials for him. Not much good if the vials are broken or the contents unusable,” Severus said.

The council members all had areas of expertise and were assigned appropriate lessons.  Combat and physical training were also added. With pressure from Merlin Severus agreed to attend the exercise classes with his son also sparring sessions once Harry was comfortable with a weapon.

“There will be more than enough time for your experimental brewing, young man,” Merlin chided, “I have it on good authority that you tend to get lost in your potions.”

“Bloody Albus,” Snape growled.

“Yes, very helpful that man.”

Much to Harry’s dismay the evening drew to a close and they were bidding Merlin goodnight. As the door was closing the teen turned to go to his room. He had vain hope that if he made to his bed his father wouldn’t have the heart to drag him out just to punish him. He got two steps away before his pajama top was snagged and he was dragged backwards to collide with his father’s chest.

“Where might you be going my little lion?” Snape asked softly.

“Umm… bed. I’m really tired. It’s been a big day Dad,” Harry replied.

“You’ll be in bed soon enough. We have some things to discuss first.”

“But Daaaaaad, I’m really, really tired.”

“Well we better get started then,” said Severus hiding a smile at his son’s childish antics. Secretly he was pleased that their relationship had come such a long way that Harry felt relaxed enough to resort to such behaviour.

The Potions Master guided his reluctant son to the sofa and sat him down. He sat himself on the coffee table facing the boy. This was the part of being a father that he didn’t particularly like. It had been a couple of months since he had last disciplined his son this way. Harry had put his very life at risk by keeping quiet about what Delores Umbridge was doing to him. By the time he had found the bleeding and feverish teen in the bathroom it had almost been too late, infection from the quill itself and the dark magic imbued in it had set in. Harry’s body and magic were trying to fight it.

Thankfully with Poppy’s excellent healing skills and his own extensive knowledge of the dark arts they were able to save Harry. It had been a very anxious twenty four hours as the teen hovered on the edge. It had been a week before Poppy declared him well enough to leave her domain and return to classes as well as other activities. She had the last bit while looking directly at the Potions Master.

The teen had put himself at risk again, he had also disobeyed a direct order. Not to mention lying to Albus and Minerva. Three things that would guarantee Harry a bare bottomed blistering. He wasn’t totally heartless the child had been through a lot in the last few days and once he realised the distress he had caused his grandparents and friends the boy would be upset with himself. He also knew that Harry wouldn’t be able to let go of the guilt his actions would cause him to feel. Part of him really just wanted to yell at him and send him to bed but he knew his son wouldn’t accept that as punishment.

The Dursleys had caused so much damage psychologically that Harry could not accept grounding or time out or loss of privileges as punishment. Detentions and writing lines were school punishments though the latter was now frowned upon thanks to Umbridge. Severus, Poppy and an adolescent mind healer had spent many hours deciding the best course of action for Harry. The Matron and the ‘new’ father had sat down with the teen and outlined things. Harry had accepted the choices and the reasons behind them. He had already figured his father would spank him given what had transpired in potions that day.

Severus took in Harry’s slumped form and bowed head as he sat waiting for the older man to speak. He mentally shook himself, “Harry look at me,” he said in a quiet commanding voice. He gave the teen credit he could almost see the internal struggle but the child did look up. “You know what you have done. The rules you have broken. I want to know why. I want to know what possessed you to lie to your grandfather; to leave the protection of Hogwarts and go to the Ministry when I had told the Headmaster not to let you.”

“I didn’t lie, Dad. I was just going to wait in our rooms but as I sat there I thought of how unfair it all was. I decided I had to see you. I couldn’t apperate and I thought Grandpa might be watching the floo so I called Dobby. He said he could ‘pop’ out of Hogwarts with a person so I asked him to take me to the Ministry. I just wanted to tell you that I love you.” Harry was openly sobbing by the end of his little speech.

Severus was tempted to draw his son to him and offer comfort but the child needed to learn. “I will accept that you did not lie Harry but you did disobey me. I told Albus you were not to come there. I said my goodbye this morning when I watched you as you were sleeping. You looked so peaceful that I did not want to disturb you. I did not wake you because I did not want to traumatise you any more than you already were. I wanted to save you and my parents from that.

Did you know they were there Harry? They came in a different entrance with Kingsley. They saw what happened. Thanks to his little gadgets, and Merlin, Dad knows we are not dead but he has to keep it a secret. He cannot tell your grandmother, the Weasleys or Miss. Granger.

One little act of defiance on your part has caused a lot of pain for the people who care about you.”

When Harry’s sobs had given way to sniffles and hiccoughs he stood his son up then rising himself he took a seat on the recently vacated sofa. He pulled the emotionally fraught teen to him. “It’ll be over soon son and you’ll be forgiven for the most part,” Snape said as he rubbed Harry’s arm in a soothing manner.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Harry asked.

“It means that you will still have to face Albus, Minerva, Molly and Hermione. No doubt Ronald will be too impressed by your ‘little adventure’ to be mad at you.”

The Potions Master sniggered as the full impact of his words hit home. “Mione’s gonna kill me,” Harry moaned as he covered his face with his hands.

Twenty minutes later Severus cradled his son in his arms as he gently rocked the two of them in the chair beside the boy’s bed. As he had thought it had only taken a few well-placed swats to bring Harry to a penitent state. It had already been such an emotional day for the boy. He smiled as he carded his fingers through the messy black hair. Soon he would get to see what his son really looked like, the charms they had placed on him would break when Voldemort was truly dead.

Before drifting off to sleep Harry had muttered that he was too old for spankings, “Take it up with your grandfather when you see him brat. If he agrees then so will I.” ‘Good luck,’ Severus thought, ‘I haven’t been able to convince him and I’m a lot older than you.’

Harry just yawned and snuggled into the warmth his father was giving off.

***

As the Snape men were settling down for the night Cornelius Fudge was contemplating his fate. Merlin had indeed whisk him away. Where exactly he did not know. He knew he was in another realm where time passed slower than what he was used to. He and Merlin had walked along a corridor of what he assumed was a medical facility. Eventually they had come to a door that the older wizard opened gently.

Inside the room there was a single hospital bed and several machines that seemed to be monitoring the lone patient. “We use both wizard and muggle means to treat our patients. We have found over the years that long term coma patients respond better if we use certain muggle practices. The intravenous drip, for instance, allows us to get fluids and potions into the system without having to spell them directly into the stomach all the time. It relies on no magic so there isn’t excess magic interfering with the healing process,” Merlin had explained as they watched the healers and muggle trained mediwitches at work.

At the nod of someone who appeared to be the head healer they approached the bed. Fudge gasped when he saw who was laying in the bed, “Sirius Black! But I thought he was dead,” Cornelius said shocked, “He fell through the veil at the Ministry after being hit by a curse his cousin sent at him.”

Merlin then explained the real purpose of the veil to him. When he had finished the mediwizard bought them up-to-date with Sirius’ status. They had been trying to work out just what spell the stricken man had been hit with. “It would have been beneficial to have had access to Lestrange’s wand but I believe it was snapped prior to her being executed. We really need to speak to someone who was there when it happened or better still see penseived memories, since sometimes details are left out. The more information we have the better,” the healer had said.

“You would have to speak to the students who were there. Harry Potter, Ron and Ginny Weasley, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood. Some of Dumbledore’s people were there as well. You would have to ask him who they were,” Fudge said.

“Let me show you to your office and you can read through the file in more detail. I’ll work on getting the memories,” Merlin had said.

Fudge had soon found himself sitting in his new office surrounded by parchment quills and text books. He had been pleased to find that his new quarters were attached to his office and that they were furnished. A small ‘pop’ startled him out of his work. “Healer Fudge, I’m Maisy,” a house elf said quietly, “I’ve been assigned to you and will be looking after your rooms. Would you like some tea?”

The man had been surprised at how articulate the elf was. He was grateful that he wouldn’t have to put up with the corrupted speech most of them used.

“Yes thank you,” Cornelius answered calmly.

Maisy returned with a full tea service and a plate of finger foods.

Now he was enjoying the relaxation he often felt when drinking tea. As he sat there he thought about how his life seemed to have come full circle. He was back doing his first love – healing. The first time around he had kept his chosen vocation from his purebred father, going so far as to use his mother’s family name. The man had been quite adamant that no son of his was going to be a healer.

When his father had fallen gravely ill from an unknown curse they had called him in. Once his father realised that he wasn’t a ‘run-of-the-mill’ healer but a gifted specialist, he soon apologised for his harsh words.

Thoughts aside he was soon lost in the tomes around him. Merlin had told him that the Council, whoever they were, would locate any needed books or equipment. He had some books of his own and was compiling a list of others. He would search the library Merlin mentioned first.

“Master Healer Fudge,” a quiet voice spoke from the open office door. Fudge looked up to see Healer Carol Brendan standing there with a tray of food. “I thought you might like a bite to eat.”

“Cornelius, please I insist, or just Neil if it’s easier and thank you, Healer Brendan,” the former Minister said politely.

“Carol.”

“Carol,” he said and smiled at her, “If you have time I’d like to talk to you about Mr. Black.”

“Certainly,” his visitor said as she put the tray on his desk.

For two hours they tossed around ideas and possibilities. Both agreeing that memories would be helpful. Even if the word had not been heard the colour of the spell and wand movement would help. Fudge suspected that two maybe three spells had been used.

“We might have to keep Black sedated once he’s cured, if he’s cured,” Fudge said, “Especially if I’m around.”

“Why’s that?”

“He doesn’t know he’s a free man. His innocence was substantiated when Peter Pettigrew was caught just after the debacle at the Ministry. Under Veritaserum he confessed to betraying the Potters and framing Black. Black was cleared of all wrong doing. Since I was the one who didn’t believe the evidence in the first place well…”

“Yes I see.”

They ordered tea and shared a quiet cup. They told each other of their medical backgrounds. Fudge had been surprised to find that Carol was schooled in both wizard and muggle medicine. She offered to lend him some of her books on the modern practices of medicine saying he’d be surprised by what they could do without magic.

Cornelius was escorting Carol to the door when something occurred to him, “If Black is still alive then so are Snape and Potter,” Fudge said suddenly, “Does Merlin know where they are?”

“I don’t know. But if they came through the same portal then they’re probably at Camelot,” Carol told him.

“Snape is the best Potions Master I know. Take tissue, fluid and hair samples from Mr. Black. Anything that might contain any traces of potions. Then have someone take them to Snape to analyse.”

Carol wrote out an order for the samples to be collected then hurried off to give it to the team calling goodnight as she went.

Before he left to retire for the night a memo from Merlin popped up on his desk saying he would have some memories for him in the morning.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2566