A Freak By Any Other Name... by Lillielle
Summary: Voldemort truly died when he attacked the Potters. However--no one was sure for years. Harry was left with the Dursleys. The abuse and neglect is stronger than in the books. When Harry makes it to Hogwarts, he is Sorted into Slytherin. Can Professor Snape see past the boy's
parentage and realize he needs help? [Warnings also include self-injury and suicidal thoughts.]
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, McGonagall, Petunia, Pomfrey, Ron, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity, Rape, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 7966 Read: 76442 Published: 10 Jul 2011 Updated: 26 Jun 2014
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I only borrowed the characters from JKR...otherwise, Snape would be here reading me bedtime stories. -cough-

1. Chapter 1: That's What He Was... by Lillielle

2. Chapter 2: I Will Not Use My Freakishness by Lillielle

3. Chapter 3: Our New Celebrity by Lillielle

4. Chapter 4: The Only Way Out is Down by Lillielle

5. Chapter 5: Perhaps I've Made a Mistake by Lillielle

6. But That's What I Am, Sir by Lillielle

7. My Sins Are Many by Lillielle

Chapter 1: That's What He Was... by Lillielle
Author's Notes:
Harry makes it to Hogwarts...what will happen to him there? Snape will feature much more prominently in later chapters...especially with Potions classes coming up soon!

"SLYTHERIN!" the Sorting Hat shouted to the rest of the Great Hall. Silence met Harry's ears. He swallowed hard, handing the hat back to Professor McGonagall and edging uncertainly toward the table decorated with green and silver. Malfoy, already Sorted, sat there, looking stunned.

"Go on, child," Professor McGonagall whispered encouragingly before calling the next name. He hurried over, sliding into a seat at the very end of the table. He hunched into his robes, feeling desperately small and pitiful. He'd been more than half afraid that the Sorting Hat would pronounce him without magic at all and he would be sent back to the Dursleys. He didn't want to be sent back. He felt like a horrible, ungrateful brat for even thinking that, when he knew that they had been kind enough to take him in and feed and clothe him, regardless of his freakishness. But the thought nevertheless would not leave.

"So how did YOU end up a Snake," Malfoy demanded rudely. An older boy with a pale, pointy face nudged him sharply, making the blonde ferrety first year gasp and stick his bottom lip out in a sulky pout.

"Dunno," Harry mumbled to his hands. The Headmaster was talking now, but he couldn't pay attention to the words. It felt like cotton wool was filling his head. He thought it might be because of the last blow Uncle Vernon had dealt him--a good swift blow to the top of his head before he was dropped off at the train station. He'd bitten his tongue and nearly fallen over. The only reason he didn't was because he knew if he did, Uncle Vernon would be forced to beat him further.

He was very lucky that he was allowed to go to this school, anyway. Hagrid had called his freakishness magic, labeled him a wizard. The wandmaker had declared him someone capable of doing great things. Harry felt very confused. He couldn't be a--a wizard. He was a freak. A worthless, ungrateful freak who had to expiate the sin of his being born and dumped on his relatives' doorstep by slaving for them since the day he turned six.

When dinner was over, Harry obediently slid off the bench and followed the rest of the first years down to the dungeons. This, apparently, was where their dormitory lay. He had eaten only a piece of toast and drank some pumpkin juice at the Feast. The pumpkin juice was what he really liked. It was sweet. He hardly ever got sweet things.

The Head of Slytherin House was the grim-faced hook-nosed man all in black he had seen at the Head Table. His name was Professor Snape. He glared at Harry the entire time he was going over the House rules. Harry resolved never to break a single one. He knew the type of man Snape was. Like Uncle Vernon. One who would not hesitate to beat the freakishness out of him. He wasn't stupid.

"Potter!" Snape was calling for him to stay behind. Harry stood stock still as the rest of the Slytherins filed out of the common room. Snape stalked closer to him and Harry fought the urge to flinch. He could not show fear--not this early.

"I'm warning you, Potter," Snape said softly, his voice icy with incipient menace. Despite himself, Harry felt his hands begin to tremble and he quickly hid them in the overflowing sleeves of his robes, drawing them into tight fists. "You may be the Golden Boy out there, famous Harry Potter, but in here, you're only a Slytherin first year. And while I don't care to make my punishments public to the rest of Hogwarts, you can be sure that you will be one sorry little boy if you put one toe out of line. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said, a little softly but still clearly. He had learned from Uncle Vernon. Mumble and the punishment will be that much worse.

"Go up to your dormitory now, Potter," Snape spat, turning away from him with a billowing of his robes. Harry scampered up the stairs, making his way into the first-year boy's dormitory on cat-like feet.

The room instantly went silent as the other boys turned and stared at him. Harry flushed bright red, quickly going to the only unoccupied bed. A mousy boy named Theodore Nott was his neighbor. Nott gave him a quick, jerky nod of welcome. Harry nodded back. The spell was broken as the other boys resumed readying themselves for bed. Lights-out was in fifteen minutes and no one wanted to be the first to suffer Snape's wrath.

Harry quietly took himself into the bathroom to brush his teeth. He had gotten a new toothbrush when Hagrid took him to Diagon Alley--mainly because, well, he hadn't had one before. He had a feeling that even freaks were meant to stay clean at this school.

The rustling of his dormmates slowly stilled as Harry tiptoed back into the room and got into bed, drawing the curtains round. Here, he changed into the ratty old tee shirt and pajama bottoms that Dudley had kindly allowed him to have. They were about five sizes too big, at least, but Harry didn't mind. They were clothes. He didn't need any others. He had bought one new "Muggle" outfit that he could wear on the train (he had changed after the Dursleys had dropped him off), and he intended to wear that on the weekends. He didn't want anyone to know that he was a freak, undeserving of food or clothes or hot showers. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia had no say here. His ears turned red at the enormous betrayal of his thoughts. Curling up in a tight ball under one of the covers, Harry fell into an uneasy sleep.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Review, please? Thoughts? Ideas of where the story should go? I'm open to suggestions. =)
Chapter 2: I Will Not Use My Freakishness by Lillielle
Author's Notes:
Thank you for all the reviews! Wow.

A glimpse into Severus's thoughts about being the Head over Harry, and a glimpse into Harry's first day...

The monitoring alarm chirped contently to itself, indicating that all in Slytherin House were in bed, sleeping. Not so its Head. Severus couldn't sleep. He was still preoccupied by the number one surprise of the day--namely that the Boy Who Lived had somehow ended up in his House. Even Albus was shocked. He had in fact called Severus in for a conference after the first years' curfew, expressing his concerns about Potter being Sorted into the Snakes' Den. Snape was still bristling over that. Even Dumbledore still held prejudice against Slytherin House, small wonder its members felt so besieged.

No matter, he decided, staring into his tumbler of firewhiskey. He would ensure that Potter's reign of fame would end here. End now. He had no doubt that he'd been spoilt by his relatives. How could he not? They knew what he was, what he had done. Voldemort was dead--true death, no matter the fevered worries and whispers of frightened children. The Wizengamot and Department of Magical Law Enforcement had confirmed it together, Albus leading them all. He Who Must Not Be Named was dead.

Knowing that, you'd think the hubbub around Potter would have dimmed a bit by now, but no, of course not. Not the famous Golden Boy. He looked like his father, Severus noted with a sneer. Those round glasses, patched together with tape [careless child that one must be, to have broken them like that]. The messy black hair that stuck up in every direction. It seemed that he had inherited only his eyes from Lily. Those at least were the same pure emerald green.

Severus took another sip, feeling the magically-enhanced alcohol burn all the way down his throat. Tomorrow was the first day of classes. Right after lunch, he had the first-year Gryffindors and Slytherins in the same class. No matter how much he protested to Albus that doing so was a disaster waiting to happen, the Headmaster's eyes would brighten with that damnable twinkle and he would insist that the Houses be together, to "promote House unity." Snape rather thought it was more likely to promote an impossibly large Potions explosion.

He still had no idea what he would do when the Potter boy proved himself a James clone, but he supposed that would have to wait for the morrow. With a final sip, he set the glass down and made his way to bed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry woke up as soon as Nott's alarm went off, unlike the boy it belonged to, who shut it off after a moment and went back to sleep. For a moment, Harry was terrified, not knowing where he was. He knew he was not in his cupboard, but that was all. Had Uncle Vernon finally followed through on his threat and sold him?

But no. After a few panicky moments, he finally remembered where he was. Hogwarts. A school for...freaks like himself. No, they weren't like him, they were better than him. Witches and wizards who could practice magic. He wished he didn't have to. One wave of his new wand and they'd know what he was. That he was nothing more than a pitiful freak who needed hard discipline to be kept in line. No matter how much he tried to obey Uncle Vernon's rules, he always slipped up. How was he ever to keep Professor Snape's rules?

Well, lying in bed certainly wasn't keeping them. He got out of bed as quietly as he could, going into the bathroom to get ready for the day. He allowed himself only a three-minute cold shower, scrubbing himself briskly and trying to ignore the pain his lingering bruises and scrapes gave him. They weren't so bad, anyway. He got into his new school uniform, wincing at the cost it had been. He didn't deserve to have that much money spent on him, even if it were fanciful wizard money.

None of his new dormmates were up yet, so Harry carefully retrieved his school bag and went downstairs to the common room. For the moment, he had it to himself. He realized why when he looked at the clock. It was only 5:15. Oh well, he shrugged. He was used to getting up early. He knew he couldn't leave yet, however--Professor Snape had been quite clear that first years were not allowed to leave for breakfast until 6:30 at the earliest.

Harry took out his new Potions book and examined it with great interest. The Dursleys hadn't let him look at his school books until the week just before term started. They were afraid the freakiness would find a new hold on him, start expressing itself in more ways. Harry understood their fear. He was afraid of it himself, but hopefully being in this school, he would learn to control himself.

One could hope, anyway.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Breakfast was an unmitigated disaster in Harry's eyes. The redheaded boy he had met on the train yesterday refused to even look at him. The bushy-haired girl did, but she'd been Sorted into Ravenclaw and that was across the entire Hall from him. And at his own table--his fellow Housemates either glared at him like he'd kicked their puppy, or stared at him with avid curiosity, clearly dying to ask questions. Malfoy kept opening his mouth, only to be elbowed by the same boy who'd shut him up at dinner. Harry still didn't know his name, but he was profoundly grateful toward the boy. He didn't want to hear Malfoy's questions.

On top of that, on the way out, an older Slytherin--perhaps a fourth or fifth year--deliberately dumped pumpkin juice down the front of Harry's robes so that he was forced to splutter and hasten to the dormitory to change. It almost made him late for his first Charms lesson. He didn't know why some of the older Slytherins hated him so. His freakishness wasn't visible, was it? Or could everyone tell? Was it as blatant as the lightning-shaped scar on his forehead that all he was and would ever be was a freak? Harry dug his nails into his palms hard as they lined up for Charms. He didn't stop until he felt his skin sting and a tiny bit of blood seep out. Then calm spread over him like a relaxing flood. There. Now he could pay attention, he hoped.

He was paired up with Nott, the boy who slept next to him. Nott had a very odd twitch in his face and he blinked constantly. Harry felt quite rabbity next to him, but he supposed that it wasn't like the first year could help it.

Flitwick demonstrated the first spell. It was a very minor sort of spell, apparently, meant simply to move an object across the table. They were meant to each stand on opposite sides of their tables and send a button to each other. Theodore was so frustrated after fifteen minutes, he simply prodded the button with his wand until it reached Harry's side.

"Well, you have a try then," Theodore mumbled, his face turning red. Harry had no better luck than his partner. He felt a brief quiver of relief in his stomach. At least his freakishness didn't seem liable to burst out at any moment.

He felt that way through Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts as well. But Harry was ever aware that his first Potions lesson was coming up right after lunch...

And he was not looking forward to it.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Potions next chapter...I know, I know, I'm evil.

A/N: Huh...it shouldn't have doubled like that--I had uploaded it and it previewed fine...that was weird!
Chapter 3: Our New Celebrity by Lillielle
Author's Notes:
Hopefully it posts right this time. :3

Anything recognizable is by JKR, NOT me! I took a few snippets from Harry's first potion class in PS. ^_^ This scene also contains some self-injury at the end. Enjoy.

The door slammed shut behind Professor Snape as he made a dramatic entrance, robes billowing around him like bat wings. All of the first years jumped but none more so than Harry. He had barely been able to eat a slice of toast at lunch, convinced that if he tried anymore, his stomach would heave all over the table. It didn't help that he wasn't used to much food. The Dursleys had only fed him once a day if he was lucky and then always a very small meal. He'd heard Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon talking once--they only fed him so much to allay suspicion and ensure that he was able to keep working. Harry still thought it was very kind of them. He knew he didn't deserve food.

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class," Professor Snape's silky voice reached Harry's ears. He frantically pulled out his parchment and began writing down the Potions Professor's speech. It sounded like it might be important later. However, Harry had only had two classes' worth of practice with a quill, and his parchment was soon festooned with ink splotches.

"--Pay attention," Snape's voice snapped, almost right above his head. Harry barely suppressed the jump of terror his professor had startled within him.

"Harry Potter," Snape smiled unpleasantly, his mouth twisting in a smirk worthy of Uncle Vernon at his worst. "Our new...celebrity."

Crabbe and Goyle, two of the more oafish new Slytherins, snickered behind him. Harry could feel his ears turn red. Snape looked like he was dying to take points, but didn't--he never took points off his own House unless it was a matter of dire severity. Having the Boy He Disliked in his House did not count.

Thankfully, the Potions professor ceased at that moment, turning and stalking to the front of the room, where instructions appeared on the blackboard. Oh hell, Harry realized with an internal groan. The board was blurry--his glasses weren't strong enough to allow him to see clearly that far away. He worried his bottom lip nervously with his teeth. He couldn't ask at this point to move closer--there weren't any empty seats. At least he was paired with Nott again.

"What are we making?" he whispered to Theodore under the general rustles and noises of the class copying down the potion instructions and gathering ingredients. Nott shot him a surprised look.

"Boil cure potion," Teddy whispered back. Harry flushed again and nodded a quick thanks.

"Talking in class, Potter?" Snape swooped down on them, making Harry jump.

"Detention."

Harry's mouth dropped open at the blatant unfairness as the swell of conversation around them buzzed in his ears. Then he slumped, defeated.

"Yes, sir," he mumbled, staring at the floor. His relatives were right. He was a freak and Professor Snape was the only one who could see it. For now, anyway. He had no doubt that the others in this school would understand soon, and then he would be kicked out, sent back to live with the relatives who despised him. He couldn't blame them. His freakishness contaminated the household, no matter how many cleaning sprays and powders were used on its surfaces. His mere presence, even locked inside the cupboard under the stairs, contaminated it.

Class droned on. It did not get any better for Harry. He had to keep sneaking glances at Theodore's notes to understand what they were supposed to be doing. Their potion was supposed to be a sort of aquamarine blue at this stage. Instead, it was a manky sort of green and smelled unpleasant. Harry actually felt his stomach start to churn and worried he might be sick into their cauldron.

"Terrible even for first years," Snape proclaimed behind them. Harry didn't even flinch this time. He felt too defeated. "Another detention, Potter. In fact...maybe a week's worth of detention will improve that horrible concentration of yours." Harry just nodded. Nott actually looked angry-on his behalf!-but didn't say anything. Probably didn't dare to. If he did, he would be given detention.

A cauldron on the Gryffindor side exploded and Harry reacted with trauma-born reflexes, pushing Theodore further away from the scene and clamoring up on the bench. Green smoke filled the room, and he could see the potion oozing across the floor. A round-faced Gryffindor boy was crying, his face popping up in boils.

"Off to the Hospital Wing, Longbottom," Snape said with a look of weary resignation. "If anyone else has been splashed, please come up front. I will either administer a proper boil cure potion or send you to the Hospital Wing. Class dismissed."

Harry shot out of there with alacrity, feeling his stomach fill with acid. He felt horrible. Stupid. His fingers clenched tightly into his palms as he found an out-of-the-way boys' loo. Locking himself into the very last stall, he sat there and panted, emotions overwhelming him. It was almost as if Uncle Vernon was there, there at Hogwarts, there to yell at him. To inform everyone of what a worthless freak he was.

Gradually, Harry stilled. A blank sort of peace settled over his face. He opened his bag and calmly withdrew a small pen-knife. A quick shove of his sleeves up and the knife was moving steadily across his skin. The blankness remained, even as a thin line of blood oozed across his arm, puddling into his palm.

"There," Harry whispered. He felt better. The emotions had receded. Enough that he could go to History of Magic anyway. He dabbed briskly at the cut with a wad of toilet paper and flushed it away. With his sleeves down, no one would ever know.

When he walked back out and got into line for his next class, he knew that no one had even missed him.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope you like it... :) It's gonna get worse before it gets better for poor Harry, I'm afraid.
Chapter 4: The Only Way Out is Down by Lillielle
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's been so long. I really don't have any excuse! It gets worse before it gets better for Harry, I'm afraid. [I like writing angst, what can I say.] It's not much longer, though. I promise.
That night felt like one of the worst of Harry's life. Even Nott had abandoned him by dinner time. Anyone near him was liable to be pushed, shoved, hit, kicked, or knocked down the nearest stairwell. After the first such attack, Theodore had given him a pitying look and gone to talk to a tanned-looking boy named Blaise Zabini.

He hadn't managed to eat a bite at dinner. His stomach had shrunk to the size of a peanut, it seemed. He had cut himself again before dinner. On his ankle, this time, where no one could see, and if they did, he could pass it off as an accident. For now, anyway. When everyone finally understood the depths of his freakishness, perhaps he could do it openly? Then again, they might get angry that he was damaging himself. Like he was property.

Detention was awful. Professor Snape set him to scrubbing cauldrons for four hours. The work wasn't difficult--the scathing comments about his fame, his personality, and his life up until now were. He started to wonder if Snape was mocking him. Famous? Pampered? Harry's shoulders had slumped as he finished the last cauldron. No. He knew what that meant. Even his life with the Dursleys was not as difficult as it was supposed to be. He had been spoilt and he had been lazy. He didn't even deserve the space of the cupboard under the stairs, and he vowed to do better next summer, do more. Try to lessen the burden his own life gave on everyone around him.

When he got to bed, the blankets had been removed, leaving only the bare mattress. Someone had written "Brat Who Lived" on his pillow in green paint. The muffled snickers around him grew to a crescendo, but Harry ignored them. He simply pulled the bed curtains tight around his bed and sat perfectly still in the middle until the noises had died away.

Then he grabbed the besmirched pillow and crawled under the bed to sleep on the floor. At least it was relatively warm and cozy there. He didn't deserve the blankets anyway, it was good that someone had taken them.

With that thought on his mind, Harry drifted into yet another uneasy, broken sleep.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~



"Ah, Severus!" Dumbledore's twinkling eyes and beaming smile caught the dour Potions professor as he slouched into the Great Hall the next morning. Severus grunted at him.

"What?" he snapped as he poured himself his first cup of coffee. The only thing that made mornings with a thousand shrieking brats bearable, he decided as he took another sip.

"I would like to speak with you after breakfast about one of your first years," Albus said in a lower tone, the twinkle dimming. Severus felt a brief flash of concern. What could have the Headmaster looking so somber? Breakfast passed with unusual slowness and Severus watched his Slytherins set off. The Potter boy hadn't eaten much again, he realized with irritation. Hogwarts food might be plain fare to a spoilt child, but it was good and it was healthy. If that brat didn't start eating more at mealtime, Severus thought he might just make mealtime verboten a time or two. A few hours spent with a grumbling stomach should clear that pesky pickiness up very soon.

Albus led Severus up to his office. The password this semester was "blood lollipops," which made Severus shudder every time he heard it. The sweet sounded absolutely disgusting to anyone but a vampire and yet, he had no doubt that Albus had not only tried it, but liked it. There was something wrong with the man's sweet tooth.

"It's Harry," Albus began once the door was safely shut behind them. "I saw him yesterday before dinner...he had some spots of blood on the hem of his robes."

"So?" Severus said, rolling his eyes. "He's an eleven-year-old. All children get into scrapes, fall down...it's not a big deal."

"Perhaps not," Albus acknowledged. "However, I'm still worried."

"Why?" Severus lounged against a chair, crossing his arms over his chest. He still felt cranky--a positive sign he hadn't had enough coffee. "Unless he was standing in a pool of blood, I don't see how it matters."

"There were an unusual number of fights last night. I'm worried that Harry might be, well, harming the other children," Dumbledore said. He looked positively distressed, something that Severus had rarely seen on his mentor's face.

"Harming other children? What do you mean, Albus? Do you think the boy is...going Dark?" Now that Severus had a difficult time believing. The boy might be a spoilt brat, but Dark? His parents had been killed by a Dark wizard! He couldn't see Potter turning to the Dark side after that.

"I don't know," Dumbledore sighed. "Just...please, would you keep an eye on him, Severus? And--maybe talk to him?"

"I talk to all my first years, you know that," Severus snapped. "In fact, tomorrow I set up the appointments to talk to each of them in turn. Perhaps I can move up Potter's."

"That may be a good idea," Albus acknowledged. "I hate to suspect young Harry of anything so nefarious, but blood spots don't lie, I'm afraid."

"I understand, Headmaster. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a class of dunderheads to teach," Severus said, quickly escaping. He thought the headmaster had probably gone a bit barmy in the head. Potter? Evil?

No. Still, to assuage his feelings when he saw the boy sprawled at the bottom of a staircase, he stopped and told the boy that he wasn't to go to meals until he could learn to eat properly and not like a spoilt beast.

He would learn, Severus thought as he swept into his first class. No brat could stay that arrogant for long when the Potions Master was bound and determined to break him.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Poor Harry...his breakdown is imminent--will Snape notice? [Of course he will XD And don't worry...Harry's roommates are in for a big shock soon. XP]
Chapter 5: Perhaps I've Made a Mistake by Lillielle
Author's Notes:
Yes, things are starting to look up for Harry...but they aren't perfect yet!
It wasn't until dinner when Severus saw Potter's empty seat again that he realized the boy hadn't come to him to ask for his meal privileges back. A twinge of uneasiness struck him as he took a bite of shepherds pie. If the brat was as spoilt as he believed, he doubted Potter could go two meals without eating. Likely, he had sweets squirreled up in the dormitory, Severus told himself, shoving back the uneasiness. He was probably saving up all of Severus's "insults," ready to blat and whine to his relatives about how "mistreated" he was.

Still...the thought lingered in the Potions professor's mind as he finished his meal and turned his thoughts to preparing for the brat's next detention and meeting. He'd decided to make the boy's detention his first meeting instead. Perhaps then he could find out why Potter refused to eat like a normal human, and see if there was any truth to Albus's fears.

~*~*~*~*~

Harry sat in the middle of his bed, curtains pulled tight around him. All the others were at dinner. A dinner he was not allowed to go to. His stomach hurt, but he was used to not eating for days at a time. It would take quite a bit longer before hunger broke him. And when he was thirsty, he drank from the bathroom sink until his belly sloshed. That helped with the hunger, too.

His blankets had been returned. They were now smoothed neatly over the bed. After all the years with the Dursleys, Harry definitely knew how to make a bed. His pillow was still underneath it, however. He planned on sleeping on the floor from now on. Perhaps the monumental hubris he had expressed in daring to sleep on the bed, under blankets of all things, had led to his meal privileges being revoked. But he knew better. They would have been revoked, anyway. Freaks like him didn't deserve food.

He took out his pen knife again, pushing up the sleeves of his robes. Cuts from earlier still stung wetly, but he paid them no attention, instead focusing on smooth, unmarred skin farther up. A moment later, it was criss-crossed with red lines, and he sighed in relief before winding toilet paper around his arm. It made a fairly effective bandage, he had discovered years ago.

He had detention again, soon, he realized as he curled into a tight ball at the end of the bed. Professor Snape was not likely to go easy on him. He hadn't even wondered this morning why he was sprawled at the bottom of a staicase. A fourth year Hufflepuff had shoved him. Everyone hated him, even in his own House. Even in Hufflepuff, and he'd heard that that was a nice, friendly House. It was like there was a sign blinking above him that read "freak." Like the Dursleys had told everyone here to hurt him as much as they could, as much as he deserved. His cheeks burned in shame. He knew he was a freak. Couldn't that be enough? He'd unfortunately been able to make a spell work that day, and he'd been frightened of his wand ever since. How could that...how could that work? How could he make a match go pointy at the end by itself? It was disgusting. Uncle Vernon would have thrashed him with the belt <i>and</i> the cane for doing that. And he would have welcomed each blow, as each stripe helped him stuff that freakishness further inside.

The clock tolled out and he stiffened, poking his head out of the bed curtains.

It was time for detention.

~*~*~*~*~

The brat was on time again, Severus noticed as the messy-haired boy tentatively pushed the door open and stepped inside. He stared at the ground, looking swallowed up in his robes.

"Sit down," Severus instructed with a scowl. At least the brat could do as he was told.

"Potter," Severus began, attempting at least a slight smile. This would go far better if he could be pleasant to the boy. "Instead of a detention tonight, I thought we would have your first House meeting."

"House meeting, sir?" the boy asked, his voice shaking a bit. Severus's smile grew. At least he hadn't lost his touch.

"Yes, Potter," Severus replied, leaning back a bit in his chair. "Every semester, I arrange a meeting with each of my students, beginning with the first years. Normally, your meeting would be a bit later in the semester, but seeing as how you're already in here for detention, I thought we might as well get it out of the way."

"Oh. Yes, sir," Potter said softly, still staring into his lap.

"How has your first couple days been, Potter?" Severus asked.

Harry froze at the question, his stomach churning. It had to be a trick. How could Professor Snape not know? Was he laughing at him inside? Laughing that a freak like him thought he could find happiness anywhere? Friends? A home?

"All right, sir," he managed to reply. He found himself fidgeting with the sleeve of his robes. He wanted to cut again. Maybe that could help him forget the cruelty inherent in one simple question.

"Finding your classes all right?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said. He couldn't bring himself to look up at the professor. Uncle Vernon said that looking other people in the eyes meant that you were assuming you were equal to them, and that the freak was never to do so. He still had to ask something, though.

"Um, sir?" he managed to look at the desk instead of his lap. He would have thought it to be neatly organized, but instead it was quite cluttered with quills, spare bits of parchment, and potions journals. He wondered if he should offer to clean it.

"Yes, Potter?" Professor Snape said. He didn't sound angry. Just impatient.

"I know I shouldn't ask and I'm terribly impertinent and I'm sorry sir, but um...could I perhaps have just one meal?" Harry finished all in a great rush of breath, his hands tangling in his robes. He felt weak and shivery all over, like he was about to faint. He couldn't believe he had just asked Snape the question.

"What?" Professor Snape actually sounded shocked. Harry's courage deserted him. Oh no. That meant he shouldn't even have asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have asked, it's just that I can do more work you want if I've eaten every day," he tried to explain, but his voice wouldn't work very well, and his ears were buzzing and his vision was going a bit fuzzy around the edges.

He heard a muffled curse dimly and then the professor's hands were on his shoulders, forcing his head down between his knees.

"Deep breaths, Potter," his Head of House ordered him. He tried to obey, but the mantle of panic had settled on him hard, and all he could think of was the upcoming punishment for daring to ask about food, to question Professor Snape's authority.

"Potter," Professor Snape said after an age, squatting before the tiny first-year. "I never intended you to go without food for more than a meal. I was...obviously wrong, but I thought you were spoilt. The food in Hogwarts kitchens is good and nutritious. I thought you were spoilt because you eat so little of it." Harry looked up then, at the Potions Master's face, although not quite daring to look in his eyes. The man looked quite pale and unsettled.

"My stomach isn't used to much, sorry, sir," Harry offered in a shy whisper. The professor nodded and stood back up.

"Potter...I am starting to believe that my thoughts toward you have not only been wrong but quite uncharitable," Severus admitted. "And I believe the rest of this meeting would be best conducted over a snack."

Harry's mouth dropped open in shock. It felt like his world had tilted onto its side. But--maybe it was a good tilt.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Cliffhanger? Oh, how I hope so. -evil smile- For one thing, Snape's still thinking about old Dumbledore's worries...what do you think knowing Harry has a VERY good reason to hate Muggles is gonna do to those thoughts? >:D
But That's What I Am, Sir by Lillielle
Author's Notes:
I'm sorry, it's taken so long. Bad me. Bad, bad me.

Hopefully, this makes up for it a little!
Never had Severus been more grateful that he was a Slytherin than in that moment when he knelt before the Potter boy, calmly reassuring him that he was allowed regular meals. It allowed a perfect, serene mask to sit upon his features that hid the deep, icy rage slowly coming to life within his mind.

Part of it was, of course, aimed at himself. He should have known better. He had allowed old prejudices to blind him to what was cowering right in front of him. Not for nothing was he the Head of Slytherin House. He knew how to spot abused and neglected children. Nott, for instance, he had already marked out for his nervous twitch.

But Potter. No, he had managed to excuse away every possible sign until at last, they could not be ignored. The boy was abused. The boy was still shaking in front of him, despite his light reassurances, a gentle, soothing touch on Potter's shoulder to keep him from bolting like a frightened rabbit.

When Severus was certain that the boy would not panic, that he would remain in his seat, he rose and quickly ordered a snack from a bossy-looking house elf named Dipsy. He noticed Potter's eyes go round at the sight of the strange little creature, and he could not help but reassure him what the house elf was.

"Thank you for telling me, sir," Potter whispered. He had managed to uncurl slightly from the defensive huddle he had assumed earlier, when he believed that he was to be punished for daring to ask for food.

Dipsy popped back in with a tray. All it contained was a tea service and some toast. Severus didn't think that Harry would be able to stomach more than toast.

"May I pour your tea, sir?" Potter asked, his voice shaking a bit. He couldn't seem to look Severus in the eye.

"Thank you, but I can pour my own," Severus said with just a hint of acerbity. The boy jerked and sat back in the chair. Severus noticed the child's feet couldn't even touch the ground. He was not big enough to be a "normal" first year. Small surprise if he'd been starved though, the Potions Master thought, internally rolling his eyes at himself. He would have to send the boy for a checkup, there was no way around it. In fact, he rather thought it might be a good idea for him to take Potter himself, after this meeting.

Severus prepared himself a cup of tea exactly the way he liked it and took a delicate sniff, savoring the scent as it wreathed around his rather unfortunately proportioned nose.

"You may pour yourself a cup of tea as well, Potter," he directed when he noticed the child still sitting there stiffly. "And take a piece of toast as well."

"Yes, sir," Potter said, doing so with a sparsity of movement that had Severus blinking in surprise. It looked like the brat had been raised to pour tea since infancy, although that was patently not possible.

"So...Potter," Severus drawled. "Please tell me why it is that you came to the conclusion that you were not to be allowed food at Hogwarts."


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Harry froze in the act of nibbling the piece of toast that his Professor had pressed upon him.

"Sir?" he managed to squeak out, his throat gone bone dry in his fear.

"Please, Potter," Snape said. He almost sounded gentle, although Harry knew it had to be a trick. There was a trap in this somewhere. Uncle Vernon tricked him like this sometimes, too, telling him to eat, to drink, telling him he didn't have to serve, and then swiftly punishing him for daring to believe that he could ever be more than a freak. He was on slightly more familiar ground now, although the concern in his professor's eyes was new. He didn't know if that could be feigned.

"I'm sorry, sir, I know that I should not have asked," he offered quickly. Perhaps if he told his Head of House the truth about what he knew himself to be, it would make the punishment come more swiftly. If there was one fault Harry had, it was waiting for the axe to fall. He would rather the punishment occur and occur now, no matter how bad it might be. And this man knew magic. Harry knew it would be bad.

"And why not?" Snape asked. He seemed genuinely interested in the answer, leaning forward a little in his seat and taking another sip of tea.

"Because it is my place not to question my betters, sir," Harry said, almost automatically. His lessons had been inscribed into every atom of his being. "It is my place to eat whatever I am told to eat, whenever I am told to eat, and to be grateful that I am being allowed the chance to eat or drink at all, sir. I know that it is difficult of others to give up food for a freak and a waste of space, and I am always to be properly thankful and humble for even the most meager crust of bread because it is going into the mouth and stomach of someone who contaminates everything around him." He took a deep breath and stared at the floor. His shoulders ached with tension. He did not want to look up and see what he knew must be on his professor's face. Disgust and anger, revulsion that he had such a freak in his distinguished House, in his very office, in fact.

"Mr. Potter," Snape's voice lashed out. Although still relatively gentle, it felt like the crack of a whip against Harry's emotions.

"None of that is in the slightest possible way true," Snape said. If he had asked why, Harry would have been able to tell him why. If he had acted with rage, Harry would have understood what to do to allow Snape to release his rage upon Harry's willing albeit frightened body.

This calm, matter of fact statement that the things he had believed his entire life were false rocked him badly.

"Sir?" he whispered, his throat tight. He would not cry, he told himself fiercely. Criers were punished more severely. Criers were given something to cry about.

"You are not a freak, and you are not a waste of space," Snape told him. Still blunt, still matter of fact. Harry started rocking in his seat, unable to comprehend in the slightest what his professor was talking about. "You are deserving of food. A proper meal, Potter, not a crust of bread. You should not disdain those who offer you food, but neither do you have to be fawning and obsequious about it, either."

Harry blinked in confusion. What did that mean? But Snape gave him no pause to ask, if he could have forced the words out past the lump in his throat.

"Whoever told you this was wrong, Potter. You are nothing more or less than a regular eleven-year-old child. And you should be treated as such, and you always should have been. And I know that at last for now, you will not and indeed cannot understand my words. But you will, Potter." A slow smile spread over Snape's face and Harry shivered a little inside to see that smile. It didn't look very nice. "You will understand and the ones who taught you those things and the ones who hurt you will suffer. I can promise you that."

Snape stood up, and Harry automatically cringed back, his hands half-lifting in feeble defense against a blow he was sure was coming.

"Potter," Snape said, his voice gentling again until Harry felt like a wild animal. "Please come with me."

"Where, sir?" Harry questioned. He was uncomfortably conscious of the wounds on his arms pressing into the fabric of his robes and the crumbs that now littered his front from the piece of toast he had managed to mindlessly consume. It sat heavily on his stomach, but he thought he could keep it down.

"To the hospital wing for a full medical check-up," the Potions Master told him, and this time, Harry could not contain his terror.

Harry fainted neatly at the surprised professor's feet.
To be continued...
End Notes:
I suppose that's a bit of a cliffie, too, isn't it...oh well. Do you think Madam Pomfrey is going to discover his self-injury next chapter? ;)
My Sins Are Many by Lillielle
Author's Notes:
I have no excuse for taking ages and ages to update, I'm sorry. ^^; Please forgive me? And let this chapter make up for it?

In retrospect, Severus should have realised what his intentions would do to the child. He was already more than well aware of the usual effect the thought of going to the Hospital Wing had on his abused Snakes. It was just...it was Potter...

Harry, he corrected himself firmly as he squatted down and lifted up the boy in his arms. Not his father. He had no desire to be seen walking through the halls of Hogwarts carrying the Boy Who Lived, but it wasn't like it was a difficult trip to his fireplace to Floo through. The child was frightfully light, and he could feel bones pressing against him.

Striding to the fireplace, he tossed in a handful of green powder, and was stepping into the Hospital Wing not a minute later, a still unconscious Harry Potter firmly within his grasp.

"Poppy!" he called, laying the first year down on a bed as Potter stirred, eyelids fluttering weakly. The Mediwitch bustled out of her office, jaw a bit slack in surprise at seeing the Boy Who Lived sprawled out on a bed, and Snape looking rather discomfited beside it.

"Severus?" she asked, wiping her hands on a towel she carried at her belt and drawing her wand. "What is it? What's wrong with Harry?"

"See for yourself," Severus gestured, a bit dryly, toward the now fully awake and cowering Savior of the Wizarding World. The boy looked absolutely petrified, shivering in his too-large robes like he'd caught his death of cold.

"Mr. Potter?" Poppy asked, her voice gentle. "Are you all right?"


Through Harry's panic, he heard the woman ask the question, and he sagged a bit in relief, his response coming automatically.

"Yes, ma'am," he whispered, peeking at her through his fringe. He heard his Professor snort beside him, and despite himself, startled.

"The truth, Potter," Professor Snape instructed. Harry's shoulders hunched and he stared down at the rather starchy sheets he found himself lying on.

"I don't know, ma'am," he finally revised his answer, aware it was painfully inadequate and more than half-expecting a blow to the head or back, like Uncle Vernon liked to do when he hadn't answered properly (which was most of the time).

"That's all right, Harry," the woman said with a smile. She looked nothing like Aunt Petunia. "I'm Madam Pomfrey. I'm here to help, all right?" She waved her wand in a very complicated-looking spiral and an odd tingling filled Harry's bones, crinkling his nose and making him feel like he had to pee for a brief, startling moment.

Then her wand was spitting out loads of complicated red squiggles in the air, and the frown between her brows kept getting deeper and deeper, and Harry couldn't stop himself from scooting to the far end of the bed, ready to run.

"What on earth has happened to this child?" Madam Pomfrey exploded, and Harry was gone, nearly flying across the room to end up stuffing himself head-long into a storage cabinet, cramping himself into the tightest ball possible. He couldn't stop trembling, and his ears kept buzzing again, and all he could think of was what a terrible mistake he'd made, letting her do that, letting anyone do that. Obviously he was bad, her reaction certainly couldn't mean he was good, after all. He had to be bad, and oh gods, now he'd run away from her, he was sure to be in even more trouble...!

Harry knew he was hyperventilating, but he couldn't stop, his breathing echoing painfully loud in the confined space, until he heard footsteps, and then the door was eased open, and his Professor was there. The man didn't look angry, though. Just...concerned? And suddenly Harry was too confused to panic anymore.


Severus wanted to shake Poppy as the boy escaped into a storage cupboard. Damn the woman, she knew better than to yell like that around abused children, and from what little he'd managed to understand of the diagnostic results, there was certainly no doubt the boy had been abused!

"I'm sorry, Severus," Poppy said, the corners of her mouth trembling. "I didn't think..."

"That's obvious," Severus sneered. He crossed the room to the cupboard the boy had stuffed himself in, doing his best to sound non-threatening.

"Potter?" he asked, swinging open the door. The boy looked up at him with brilliant green eyes, glazed over with tears. There was a scratch down one cheek that oozed blood, probably from how he'd crammed himself in there. "Would you come out, please? You aren't in trouble."

"You promise, sir?" the boy whispered, in a voice so faint Severus had to strain his ears to catch it.

"Yes," he said curtly. "Madam Pomfrey was...startled at your results, Potter. She was not angry at you."

The child uncurled himself and clambered out of the storage cupboard, still trembling like a leaf, but he made no protest when Severus guided him back to his original spot and helped him climb back onto the bed.

"I apologise, Harry," Poppy said quietly. "Professor Snape is right. I am not angry at you, but I apologise for shouting and making you believe I was."

"It's all right, ma'am," Harry murmured shyly, still peering down at the ground.

"I want you to be able to feel like this is a safe place, Harry," Poppy explained, conjuring up chairs for her and Severus. "It can't be a safe place if I'm frightening you."

Harry only shrugged a little, his bottom lip caught between his teeth.

"So, Harry," Poppy continued, leaning forward, her smile becoming more encouraging. "Would you like to tell me about your guardians?" 

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
*casually ends on cliffhanger*


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2594