Slytherin Snakes by mkm246
Summary: AU. Harry is sorted into Slytherin. How different would Harry's life have been if he had never been a Gryffindor?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 23307 Read: 69826 Published: 21 Jul 2011 Updated: 07 Mar 2013
Infirmary Woes by mkm246

To say that Severus Snape was concerned would be an understatement. Being the head of slytherin he had a lot of experience with abused children. It was true that almost all abused children ended being sorted into his house. It frustrated him that every year there were more. Even though he was able to heal them physically he couldn't always remove them from their situation. Wizard law varied greatly from muggle law. Pure bloods were able to raise their children as they saw fit with no interference from the ministry. Severus protected them as much as he could but he couldn't help but feel as if he could never do enough.

Students returning to slytherin after a summer spent with their loving parents often left them in bad condition. He was close with his snakes and kept correspondence with most even during the holidays. His slytherins respected him and while the students in other houses feared him, his snakes knew that he would never betray their trust.

Every year during the opening feast Severus studied his students. He noted which of the upper years he would have to bring to the infirmary after he had sorted out the first years. It looked as if only a couple of the older students this year would need to be seen by Poppy herself.

Severus had never looked forward to the opening feast for these reasons, but this year he dreaded it even more. This year Harry Potter would be entering Hogwarts. It was just too soon. He hadn't had enough time to grieve for Lily. He hadn't had enough time to get over his hatred of James. Harry Potter was a symbol of the past and it was not something he wanted to dwell on.

He had actually been shocked when the child had been sorted into his own house. Surely he belonged in Gryffindor. That had been the house of his parents and the house of his paternal grandparents. A Potter hadn't been sorted in any other house ever as far as Severus knew.

He turned his attention to the boy and it was obvious that Potter was not what he had pictured him to be like in his head. He wasn't the confident child he expected and seemed almost withdrawn. He shyly sat down next to Draco Malfoy of all people. This was just not how a spoiled brat acted.

Watching the boy some more Severus felt his heart begin to drop. Harry sat rigidly, never relaxing throughout the meal. He saw that he didn't even serve himself until everyone else had and when he did begin to eat he had only taken a few bites before the child pushed his plate away.

It was apparent that something was seriously wrong with the boy when he saw him sneak some bread into his robe, obviously not trusting that he would be eating consecutive meals.

It was reassuring to see that his snakes included the child in their conversations. While Harry had sat silently though the meal as soon as dessert popped up on the table, Malfoy and Nott drew him into their discussion. What they talked so passionately about, Severus could only guess.

After the feast had finished he took his time walking down to the slytherin common room. He would give his prefects time to take the first years down slowly so they would learn their way. Bringing his first years to Poppy was always the worst part of the year. They were so young and frightened and never made finding out the truth easy.

As he walked up behind the children who were all sitting on the couch he cleared his throat. When no one seemed to notice his presence, he said, "Ah, I see you can all follow instructions."

He watched as they all jumped. He saw apprehension written all over their faces. The Nott boy looked a little green. Severus sighed again it seemed Potter wasn't going to be the only one he would need to watch out for this year.

He gave the same speech he gave his snakes every year. He watched as Harry refused to look up from his lap and as Theodore Nott's knees began shaking even faster than they had been before he mentioned the check up. This part certainly never got easier.

Each child got up and walked towards the floo. Potter didn't move, still sitting and staring at his lap.

"Mr. Potter?"

The boy still refused to look at him but at least he stood up and walked over to Draco. They whispered about something and Potter seemed to relax just a fraction. It dawned on him then that the boy had grown up with muggles and he would have never used the floo before.

He put a hand on the child's shoulder and cursed himself when the boy flinched. Well, if he hadn't been sure of the abuse before he was now

"Sir?"

"Do you know how to use the floo, Mr. Potter?"

The boy nodded, ‘"Yes, sir."

He wasn't lying because before Severus could even attempt to explain the boy threw powder into the fireplace and shouted, "Hogwarts infirmary!"

Severus took a minute to look around the common room and gave his snakes a reassuring nod before joining the first years in the hospital wing.


They all sat in the waiting chairs except for the Parkinson girl who must have been being examined by Poppy. He walked over to the only bed with the curtains drawn and joined the mediwitch while she waved her wand around the girl.

"All seems to be in order. Do you require anything at this time Ms. Parkinson?" Poppy asked the girl.

"No, ma'am."

"Alright then you may go back to the dormitories and retire to bed. It has been a long day for you," Severus told her.

They went through this with the rest of his first years until only Potter and Nott were left.

"You may each take a bed," Severus gestured to two beds on the opposite side of the room from each other.

They examined Nott first. Severus was apprehensive while the mediwitch did her diagnostic spell.

"Mr. Nott it seems that you have contusions on your back and multiple exposures to what seems to be a similar curse to the Cruciatus. Can you tell me how you came about these injuries?" Poppy asked the boy who looked as if he really might be sick now.

"Mr. Nott," Severus said in a stern voice, causing the boy to startle. "Please answer Madame Pomfrey's question."

"I don't know," the boy whispered.

"I do not tolerate lying. I can promise you that anything you say in this room will stay between us. Please just answer her question."

"My... father, ma'am."

The mediwitch shook her head and made notes in the boys file.

"Don't worry I'll give you some potions and you'll feel much feel better by tomorrow."

As she went to go gather the potions she would need, Severus took the boys hand.

"I wish I could do more, my boy." He said regretfully. "You will find you are not the only one in slytherin that suffers from this sort of problem. While you are at Hogwarts you need not be worried for your safety. We will talk more when we have our first meeting next week. After Madame Pomfrey gets back with your potions I expect you to return to your dorms and go straight to sleep as it is getting late."

The boy nodded and as soon as Poppy returned Severus went over to the bed Potter was in. He stayed hidden for moment, taking his time to study the boy. He did look a lot like James, but at the same time nothing at all like the man. He was much smaller, more fragile. He did share most of the James' features though and Severus knew it was only a matter of time before the boy got to be healthier. Then Potter could practically be a carbon copy.

Severus knew that he couldn't hate the boy just because of his resemblance to his father. He was so obviously different. James Potter had been spoiled and arrogant while Severus could tell by just watching his son that he didn't carry these traits.

Potter looked up as Severus made himself known and his breath caught in his throat. Staring back at him were eyes he believed he would never see again. They were Lily's unique emerald eyes, the greenest of greens.

As quickly as the boy looked up he looked back down, face flushing.

Severus took the seat next to Potters bed when Poppy walked in.

"Mr. Potter as I know you aren't familiar with magic let me assure you that you won't feel a thing." She told the boy.

With Potter's nod she quickly went to work. What really only took no more than a minute seemed like hours to Severus. He could feel knots in his stomach as he watched Poppy's face grow darker.

"Well, you have major bruising on your back and legs, a couple of your ribs are cracked, you have a sprained wrist and internal bleeding. You should have come to me straight off of the train. These injuries are on top of the fact you are extremely malnourished. How did you come to be this way Mr. Potter?"

Potter paled as Poppy went through all of his injuries.

"I... my... you see..." the boy stammered as his whole body began to shake.

"You must calm down Mr. Potter. I promise you will be fine. Anything you say here will never go back to your relatives. Now take this." Severus pulled a calming draught and handed it to him.

Potter gulped the potion and while stopped shaking he also stopped talking. The child looked determinedly down at his hands, not moving at all.

"You can have this conversation another time," Poppy said looking from Severus to the boy. "I have a patient to heal. Mr. Potter you will be spending the night here. I will reassess you in the morning to see if you are fit for classes."

Severus had known as Poppy said them that the injuries were bad, but it had been years since a child had actually had to spend the night because of what their parents or guardian had done to them. He would have to talk to the boy soon so he was going to have to move Potter's meeting to be first.

Poppy went to gather her potions and Severus took the child's hand as he had done with Theodore.

"You will not fear for your safety at Hogwarts. Come to my office directly after dinner tomorrow if you are released and we will talk more then."

Potter nodded, still staring at his lap.

"Mr. Potter, look at me."

The boy took a deep breath and glanced up, still not meeting Severus's eye.

"My eyes, Mr. Potter. I want you to know that I am not lying when I say I will do everything in my power to make your situation better without your relatives knowledge."

To the child's credit he did meet his professor's eye, even if it was only while Severus spoke. Potter nodded again as Severus finished talking.

Poppy came back over with a tray full of potions. She instructed him to take each one before she waved her wand and he was wearing the standard hospital pajamas. She then began to preform various healing spells. When she was finished she handed him a purple potion.

"Take this and you will be able to sleep without any problems," Poppy told Potter.

The boy sat looking at the potion before downing it in one gulp.

Still holding his hand, Severus watched as Potter closed his eyes. Once he was sure that he was deeply asleep, the man stood from his chair and made his way to the fireplace. His night was far from over. He still had to address his older snakes and make sure they were all well. It was only after that that he would be able to finally rest for the night.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2609