Slytherin Snakes by mkm246
Summary: AU. Harry is sorted into Slytherin. How different would Harry's life have been if he had never been a Gryffindor?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 23307 Read: 69827 Published: 21 Jul 2011 Updated: 07 Mar 2013
First Day by mkm246
Harry Potter stretched and sighed contentedly. His mind wasn't really awake yet but he felt better than he had in his entire life. Slowly he blinked his eyes open and realized where he was. His stomach dropped as he remembered what had happened the night before.

This was not good. His teacher knew why he had his injuries before Harry even had a chance to try and cover for his family. Sure, Snape had said nothing would get back to his relatives but Harry couldn't help but worry. His uncle would not be happy if wizards questioned him and he always took out his anger on Harry. No, this simply could not be happening.

Harry knew that his professor expected him to trust the man, but Harry also knew that he could never do that. Adults had never done right by Harry and he wasn't about to let his guard down. He had to try and convince Snape that this was all just a misunderstanding.

"Ah, Mr. Potter, good to see you awake so early," Madame Pomfrey came bustling into the infirmary. She came over to his bed and waved her wand the same way he had seen her do yesterday.

"Well, you seem to be recovering nicely. If you want you can go down to your dormitory to get ready for the day. I have a weeks worth of nutritional potions for you and I want you to drink one with each meal. Come back this weekend and I'll give you a check over to see how they are working."

She handed him the vials and ushered him out of the hospital wing.

"Hurry now, I don't want you missing any meals. If you need anything don't hesitate to come back!"

Harry nodded and made his way back down to the dungeons. At least he wouldn't miss a day of classes. He certainly didn't want to be drawing any extra attention to himself. He wondered what he would tell the other boys about why he hadn't gone back to the dorms the night before.

As it turned out though, he wouldn't have to tell them anything. When he entered the dorms he realized they were all still asleep. Well, no time like the present to take a quick shower.

Now clean, he made his way back to the last empty bed in the first years dorm. He saw that his trunk was beside it along with his empty owl cage. He needed a plan. What could he possibly tell his head of house to get him to let go of the notion that Harry was being hurt by his relatives?

Draco interrupted his thoughts by tossing a pillow at him.

"What time did you get back to the dorms? I tried to stay up and wait for you but I guess I fell asleep."

"Uh, I'm not sure. I had to wait awhile because Madame Pomfrey was busy with another student." The lie slipped easily off of Harry's tongue.

Draco nodded, obviously believing him. "Well, as I see that you have already started to get ready I better go shower so we can go up to breakfast together."

The other boys followed Draco's lead to the washroom and Harry was once again alone. He allowed himself to relax and get ready. He packed his backpack and fixed his tie. Slipping three of the potions Madame Pomfrey had given him into the front pocket, he arranged them so that they wouldn't break.

As soon as the last textbook was placed into his bag, a boy with black hair and dark eyes popped his head in.

"Hello," he announced, "I'm Blaise Zambini. I don't think we met last night during the feast."

"Harry Potter," Harry replied holding out his hand.

"Come now, Draco told me to fetch you because he's running late. He'll meet us all up in the Great Hall."

Harry followed Blaise down to the common room where the others where waiting. They greeted each other and made their way up the moving staircases for breakfast. They were among the first to arrive and grabbed some of the best seats at the far corner of the table.

Harry watched everyone start digging into their food before he served himself. He could feel himself being watched but he didn't want to look at the head table to confirm his suspicions about who it was.

He continued to eat, trying to ignore the hairs that stood up on the back of his neck.

"Hey mate," Draco greeted as he sat down in the empty seat next to Harry.

"What took so long?" Harry asked, grateful for something to take his mind of the eyes that were burning a whole in the back of his head.

"My hair didn't really want to cooperate."

"Yeah, Malfoy," Blaise joined in. "You take longer than Pansy here to get ready in the morning."

"Hey!" Both Pansy and Draco said at the same time.

"Jinx!" They both said to the others' amusement.

A throat being cleared behind Harry made him jump, quickly adapting a blank look to take over his features.

Everyone turned to see their head of house with a stack of papers.

"Your schedules," the man said, eyebrows raised.

Once he handed a paper to each student he turned to Harry.

"Eyes up, Mr. Potter."

Harry looked up and if he hadn't known better he might say the man was amused. But this was a game that had been played on him before. He knew that he shouldn't underestimate what exactly Snape's intentions were.

After studying Harry for another moment, the man told him, "Do not forgot our appointment. I expect you in my office directly after dinner. If you are unsure where that is just ask any of the upper years I'm sure they won't mind showing you."

Harry looked back down to his plate.

"Yes, sir."

The professor seemed to accept this and continued down the table handing out the rest of the syltherin schedules.

"I guess you have the first meeting Harry," Pansy said. "I don't have one until next week."

"I have one Friday," Draco added.

"Mine is tomorrow," Theo told Harry. The way he looked at him made Harry think that Theo might have the same guesses about his life that Professor Snape did. While that made him uncomfortable, he was happy to realize that he wasn't the only one who would be meeting privately with the professor.

"Yes, well, we have transfiguration first and I don't think we should be late on our first day." Harry was careful not to look at Theo as he said this. The others murmured in agreement.


 Harry sat nervously through his classes all day. He sat in the back between Draco and Blaise, careful not to draw any of his teachers' attention. He hadn't earned any points for his house, but he didn't lose any either. He took notes, read from the book when instructed, and made sure to write down all of his homework assignments.

Dinner came far too early for his liking and before he knew it, it was time to down his potion and meet with Snape. He was so screwed. All day he had been trying to come up with something that would explain why he had been injured, but nothing believable came to mind.

On his walk down to the dungeons Harry was frustrated with himself. He couldn't stop his hands from shaking. He needed to learn to control himself better. He knew that none of the other slytherins were afraid of the professor and they even seemed to like and respect him. But Harry knew better than to trust blindly.

Standing in front of the large wooden door, Harry seriously contemplated just walking away. He could avoid the man for at least another day, besides he didn't have potions until Thursday. But no, Harry couldn't not follow a direct order. Punishments were always worse after disobeying, no matter who the adult was.

Hesitantly he knocked. He held his breath when no answer came from inside. Harry was raising his hand to knock again when he heard a faint, "Come in."

Harry opened the door to a room that was the complete opposite of what he thought Snape's office would be like. It was a large room with a couch off to the side. There was a grand oak desk that the professor sat behind and two plush chairs in front of it. It wasn't dark or intimidating in the slightest.

"Do have a seat, Mr. Potter." Snape pointed to the chairs in front of his desk.

Harry immediately sat down in the chair on the left. It was slightly further away from his professor and it was closest to the door.

"I received a note from Madame Pomfrey that you are fully healed and just need to take a nutrient potion with every meal. How are you feeling today?"

Harry became quite fascinated with his hands as he said, "Much better, sir, thank you."

He could feel Snape's eyes on him as they sat in silence.

"Now I know this may be hard for you, but I need to know the truth behind your injuries. I know it may be difficult to speak of, but I cannot help you unless I know the truth."

Harry remained silent. He didn't have an excuse and he certainly wasn't going to tell Snape how he really came about those injuries.

"Very well. I shall ask you again at a later date."

Harry was shocked as well as pleased. He even allowed himself to sit back in his chair more.

"On a different note I wish to tell you my expectations of you for the next seven years. We will have a monthly session when you come to my office and we just talk. I ask you that you try your hardest in your classes and if you need any help, you can just ask a prefect. I will also be available during my office hours every day should you need help with anything or just wish to speak with me. Mr. Potter look at me."

Harry brought his eyes up to once again meet his professor's.

"I am not the enemy, alright? I am here to help you. I know that your life wasn't easy before you arrived here but I meant what I said when I said that your house is your family. We slytherins take care of one another."

"Yes, sir."

"Now I want you to do something for me. I want you to empty your pockets out onto my desk."

Damn, well this was not good. Snape must have seen him nicking food from the tables. He knew stealing food was against the rules. He could feel himself flushing as he pulled out the apple and two rolls and places them on the desk.

"I'm sorry, sir"

"There is no need to apologize. I only wish for you to know that you will never go hungry while you are at Hogwarts. You may keep the food you take, just be sure to keep it in this box."

Harry was confused until he saw Snape put a square box up onto his desk beside the food. He opened it and placed the apple and rolls inside of it.

"As long as the lid stays on your food will stay fresh. You may keep this in your dorm and eat whenever you feel hungry as long as you don't miss any meals. I want to see you keep eating and drinking your potions. If you don't require my assistance for anything you may be dismissed."

Harry couldn't believe his luck. His professor wasn't going to take away his food at all. He took the box and quickly made his way to the door.

He paused for a second and said, "Thank you, sir." Before rushing out and heading back to his common room.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2609