Slytherin Snakes by mkm246
Summary: AU. Harry is sorted into Slytherin. How different would Harry's life have been if he had never been a Gryffindor?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 23307 Read: 69828 Published: 21 Jul 2011 Updated: 07 Mar 2013
Difficult Confrontations by mkm246

 Severus let out a breath he hadn't know he had been holding as he watched Potter scurry out of his office. This visit hadn't gone horribly and he knew that with time he would get Harry to trust him.

He needed to have a talk with Dumbledore. He knew that the man was the child's guardian in the magical world and therefore was the person who placed Potter with his relatives. While he knew he couldn't help many of the children who came from not so loving families, he would try his best to get Potter removed from his relatives care.

He wondered how much Dumbledore knew of Harry's life at the Dursleys. He had heard Minerva complain about the muggles the boy lived with but Severus had never paid it any mind. He had been so sure that the boy was growing up spoiled, just like his father.

But Dumbledore must have someone living next to the boy to check in on him. Why would he leave the savior of the wizarding world in the care of people who hurt him so badly?

He pinched the bridge of his nose. No, this was not going to be a fun conversation. Either Dumbledore knew about the abuse and turned a blind eye or he had never checked to see how Potter was faring. Severus knew that the man was well aware of Petunia's dislike of her sister. Perhaps though, like Severus, he had thought that she had grown out of it.

How many people had let Potter down? His relatives, Dumbledore, hell even Severus could find reason to blame himself. He had known Petunia; he knew how jealousy drove her actions as a child. He should have inquired how Potter was doing at least once.

Severus glanced at the piles of summer work that had been turned in. It would take him at least a month to grade it all. That on top of his slytherin meetings meant he would be getting little sleep for the next month.

He had things to do that were more important than sleep though, this conversation with Dumbledore being just one. He might as well just go and get it over with. He took a calming breath and made his way over to the floo.

"Headmaster's office!"


 Severus had been sitting in a chair in Dumbledore's office for at least a quarter of an hour. He had arrived to find both Albus and Minerva in a heated argument about something. They had both abruptly stopped speaking the moment they had seen him standing by the floo.

Now, they were continuing their discussion in Minerva's office. Severus didn't really care what they were arguing about as long as they hurried up. He was a busy man and didn't have all night.

He was about to just leave a note requesting an appointment when the floo flared.

"Hello, my boy," he said. "What can I do for you today?"

"What do you know of Potter's home life?" Severus asked bluntly.

Severus felt his heart drop when he saw the look on his mentor's face.

"You knew."

"Severus, I do know he is not loved the way he should be but there are wards on that house. If Vodemort should return it's the only way his mother's sacrifice will protect him." Dumbledore sat down behind his desk and took off his glasses. Severus had never seen the man look this old.

"Not loved? Is that what you call being beaten and starved these days? If the boy had stayed in the muggle world and went without medical care for much longer he could have died."

"No," Dumbledore let out a harsh whisper. "No, he was taken care of."

"Did you ever check on him? If you don't believe what I say then go and ask Poppy for his medical record."

"But Petunia promised. She knew that by taking him in she was part of a magical binding contract." Severus watched as Dumbledore put his face in his hands.

"He won't be going back there." Severus couldn't keep the venom out of his voice.

"Severus, listen to me. He needs those blood wards if he wants a fighting chance against Voldemort someday. You made a promise many years ago to protect the boy, this is how it has to be."

Severus slammed his fist on the desk. "Dammit Albus I can't send him back there. I know that I can't keep all of my slytherins safe but Potter's case is different. He can be taken from them."

"You must listen to reason, my boy. He will never survive without the blood wards."

"Albus, listen to yourself right now. You want to send an abused child back to the people who abused him in the first place. There are no legal spells or potions that can keep Potter safe."

Dumbledore glanced up and looked Severus in the eye.

He sighed before saying, "You are right, of course. Although, I fear for what will become of him without those wards though. He will need to stay with someone who is well versed in dueling and knows how to protect themselves. I shall start asking around within the Order if they would be willing to take him."

Severus nodded. After all these years he had finally won a battle against the great Albus Dumbledore.

"That is all I ask. Potter deserves to live somewhere where he will be safe."

"Yes, well we still have the entire school year to figure something out, now it is getting late and it has been a long day." Dumbledore put his glasses back on and stood. Severus, knowing a dismissal when he heard one, bid the man goodnight before stepping through the floo and back to his own quarters.


The next day Severus woke early. His conversation with Albus hadn't gone the way he hoped, but in the end he did get what he went there for. Potter wouldn't be sent back to those monsters and that was what truly mattered anyway.

It wasn't yet light out when Severus rolled out of bed. He took his time getting ready. After he was dressed and ready he still have a half an hour before breakfast would be served. He sat at his desk and started to organize his lessons plans for the day.

When he looked up to the clock Severus was surprised at how much time had passed. He would have to hurry if he wanted to enough time to eat. He got up and made his way to the Great Hall.

Once in his usual seat he looked over to make sure all of his snakes were there. He let his eyes rest on Potter. It was good to see him fitting in with his housemates. He always sat next to the Malfoy boy during meals. He wondered what Lucius thought of his son becoming best friends with the Boy-Who-Lived.

He turned his attention away from the first years as the mail arrived. Two envelopes landed in front of him. He didn't have time to see what they were because as he went to open the first, screams let out from the slytherin table.

He could see a group of students clustered around where his first years sat. He quickly sprung to action, rushing over to the group.

Potter was slumped over his place setting covered in blood. As he got closer he could see that it was coming from the boy's hands. Long red and purple streaks covered the boy's skin. There was no doubt that the boy had been cursed.

There was a pile of mail in front of Harry and Draco was reaching for it.

"Stop!" He yelled, "Don't touch any of that."

He conjured a stretched and lifted Potter onto it. He looked around and was grateful to see Minerva pushing her way through the crowd.

"Collect the mail and bring it to the infirmary," He called to her gesturing to the pile of letters in front of Potter's plate.

At her nod he guided the stretcher up to the Hospital Wing.

 

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2609