Slytherin Snakes by mkm246
Summary: AU. Harry is sorted into Slytherin. How different would Harry's life have been if he had never been a Gryffindor?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 23307 Read: 69827 Published: 21 Jul 2011 Updated: 07 Mar 2013
A Piece of the Puzzle by mkm246

Harry had spent the night tossing and turning and it felt as if he had only just dozed off when Draco was shaking him awake. He wished he had a chance of getting away with skiving off class for the day but Harry knew it would just be more trouble than it was worth. He couldn't exactly fake sick when all Madame Pomfrey had to do was wave her wand around a couple of times and would instantly know he was lying.

He groaned as he crawled out from under his covers and was hit with the cold air of the dungeons. He dressed quickly when he realized that everyone else was already all set and were heading down to the common room. He could just skip breakfast but then he would be walking to class alone and after yesterday's incident he didn't need anymore trouble. Besides, Snape would not be happy when he realized that Harry had never shown for a meal. He grabbed his nutrient potions and stuck them into his bag before running down the stairs to catch up with the others.

Halfway through breakfast owls came flying into the hall as usual. Harry barely glanced up form his plate while the others began tearing open packages from home. He was surprised when a brown school owl swooped down and delivered a letter directly in front of his plate.

He wasn't draft enough to reach for the letter as he had done the first time he had gotten mail and instead he automatically turned to the head table. Snape was already out of his seat and walking towards him.

"Do you think that one is cursed?" Draco asked, not looking up from the brown envelope.

"No idea," Harry replied. It didn't look like it would do him any harm, but neither had the other one he supposed. His name was written in tiny, neat letters across the front.

As Snape approached him from behind and the Slytherin table quickly quieted down while rest of the hall didn't seem to notice that anything out of the ordinary was happening at all. .

"Mr. Potter," the man greeted.

"Sir," he acknowledged.

"If I may?" Snape gestured to the letter.

"Of course," Harry answered, leaning back so the professor could get a closer look.

The slytherins watched as the man began muttering a series of spells, none of them having any effect on the envelope. Harry was just starting to think the letter must be fine when it erupted into purple flames. Wide eyed, Harry looked over to Draco, and then the other first years, all of them wearing the same stunned expression.

The Great Hall Grew silent as Snape vanished the remains of the letter. Harry could see Snape lock eyes with Dumbledore and he swore that they seemed to be talking without using words.

After what seemed like forever, Snape looked back down at him.

"What class do you have first?" he asked.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts, sir," Harry replied, staring back at the spot where his letter had been just a moment ago.

"Come with me," Snape said, snapping Harry out of his trace.

Harry looked up at Snape searchingly. The man didn't seem like the type to condone skipping class, but Harry thought better of questioning him. Besides, he still had a little while before class even started. He just bent down to grab his backpack before following the man out of the Great Hall.

After walking down to the dungeons in silence, they arrived in front of Snape's office. The man gestured for Harry to go in so he flopped down into the chair.

Snape walked around to his side of the desk and began to rummage through the draws. Harry could feel himself begin to fidget as his head of house continued his search. Finally, he gave up and met Harry's eye.

"Mr. Potter," Snape began, "I must insist that you do not open any mail, even if you believe you know the sender. If you receive any mail you are not to touch it. Am I understood?"

"Yes, sir," Harry replied quickly.

"You are to come to me immediately or find the closest prefect," the man continued. "If you are near another professor you may go to them also."

Snape paused after he said this. "Have you had any trouble with any of your professors? Do any of them make you feel uncomfortable?"

Harry quickly shook his head. "Oh no, sir. I like it here a lot."

"I didn't ask if you were enjoying your time here, although with everything that has already happened I am surprised that you seem to still be this enthusiastic about your time at Hogwarts," Snape drawled.

Harry could feel himself blush. "Sorry, sir," he muttered. Harry began to inspect his hands when he heard Snape sigh.

"Mr. Potter," Snape said, "Just answer my original question. Do you have problems with any of your professors?"

"No, sir," Harry answered automatically.

"Are you positive?" Snape prompted.

Harry hesitated, his mind instantly going to Quirrell. Even though the man had never done anything, he just couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right with that guy. Besides that, Harry had only been to a couple of his classes and he hadn't even had enough time to judge him.

"Mr. Potter?" Snape cleared his throat. "Harry, you can tell me anything that's bothering you."

Harry locked eyes with Snape when the professor had called him by his first name.

"Well you see," Harry started, "I just, well he hasn't really done anything. He just that he gives off a bad vibe, you know? Plus he is always staring at me!"

"Who?" Snape asked dangerously. The man had the same look on his face he had worn when he was dealing with the sixth years that attacked Harry.

"Professor Quirrell, sir," Harry replied, "but he really hasn't even done anything!"

Snape closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, "Mr. Potter, if Professor Quirrell ever asks you to stay after class or assigns you detention you are to come straight to me. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir." Harry nodded. He wasn't sure why Snape was taking his suspicious so seriously but he wasn't about to complain; it wasn't often that anyone really listened to him.

"Come now," Snape said, getting up from his chair. "I will walk you to your class. Just remember what I told you, alright?"

Harry nodded and followed the man out the door.

SHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSH

Throughout defense Draco and Theo had both been trying to find out what Snape had wanted to talk about. Considering exactly what, or rather who, they had talked about Harry had the good sense to ignore them and try and concentrate on the lecture. But he just couldn't pay attention. He wasn't sure if he was just being paranoid because he had just confessed his fears to Snape, but he could swear that Quirrell was looking over to him more than usual. On top of that, his head ached and it seemed to be getting worse by the minute.

Class couldn't have ended fast enough and as soon as Quirrell had dismissed them, he bolted from the door.

"Harry! Wait up!" Draco called. Harry stopped and turned around to see Draco and Theo running to him.

"You alright, mate?" Theo asked as he got closer.

"Yeah," Harry assured him. "I'm fine."

Theo didn't look convinced but he didn't push the issue either. "Well let's go. We a half hour before Charms and I know where we can go to talk."

Harry nodded and followed Theo's lead up the staircase. Draco looked as if he might argue but kept his mouth shut took off up the stairs after them.

They stopped in front of a wall and were standing there for about a minute before Draco asked, "Where are you taking us?"

Theo just shushed him and Harry was amazed as a door appeared in front of them.

"Wow," Draco said in awe as they stepped into the room. "I had heard rumors of course but I never…"

The room wasn't very large but it was roomy. It had two couches and three chairs all around a small table. Beyond the table a fire roared.

"It's called the Room of Requirement," Theo explained. "I had heard of it before but I overheard a couple of fifth years talking about this place and one of them was explain to the other exactly where it was. Rather stupid of them actually."

"Yeah," Draco added, "I've heard all about this room. It can be whatever you want it to be."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked as he was examining the room.

"Well right now we just need somewhere to talk, but lets say I really wanted to fly. If I thought about flying when I opened the door the room would become a quidditch pitch, equipped with brooms and everything!" Draco said, becoming more excited as he talked.

"Yes," Theo agreed, "but remember about why we are here right now."

Draco nodded, "Yeah Harry, tell us what happened with Snape."

Harry went over to the couch and stared into the flames. He took a deep breath before telling his friends everything. He told them about his feelings on Quirrell and the warning he got from Snape. He even informed them about how Quirrell was staring at him throughout the class and how his headache had only gotten worse before he exited the classroom.

"Actually," Harry added, "my head doesn't really hurt anymore."

Theo and Draco exchanged a serious look.

"Did your head hurt in any place in particular? Like the front or did it just throb?" Theo asked.

"Well," Harry mused, "now that I think about it did seem to hurt right here." He rubbed the spot on his forehead that had been bothering him in particular.

Both of the boys seemed to lose their color.

"But Harry," Draco croaked, "that's your scar."

"Wh-what?" Harry asked. He rubbed the spot again and sure enough he could feel the dip of skin where his scar was.

"We've got to tell Professor Snape!" Theo exclaimed, grabbing Harry's arm.

"No," Harry insisted. "We have to get to class before we're late. Besides Snape is teaching right now and I'm sure he doesn't want to be interrupted."

Draco looked down to his watch and exclaimed, "We already are late!"

The boys all grabbed their things before rushing to class, Quirrell already moving to the back of their minds.


To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2609