Slytherin Snakes by mkm246
Summary: AU. Harry is sorted into Slytherin. How different would Harry's life have been if he had never been a Gryffindor?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 23307 Read: 69827 Published: 21 Jul 2011 Updated: 07 Mar 2013

1. The Sorting by mkm246

2. Infirmary Woes by mkm246

3. First Day by mkm246

4. Difficult Confrontations by mkm246

5. New Friends? by mkm246

6. A Matter of Trust by mkm246

7. Alone? by mkm246

8. A Visit to the Headmaster by mkm246

9. A Piece of the Puzzle by mkm246

10. A Midnight Stroll by mkm246

11. Tested Friendships by mkm246

12. More Trouble? by mkm246

The Sorting by mkm246
"Better be Slytherin!"

Dead silence followed the hat's announcement. It only lasted a moment but Harry had heard it. When everyone else had gotten sorted the hat's announcement had instantly been met with a loud burst of applause. It figured, even in the wizarding world he was different, a freak among freaks.

He had already heard the true story about his parents form Hagrid. He knew that he had been marked to be killed and then done something no other wizard has done before, survived the killing curse. Harry also knew that this was the reason everyone had been staring at him anytime he was in the wizarding world. But this was completely different. People were not staring at him as if he had performed a miracle. No, instead they were either giving him dirty looks or sharing a confused glance with their neighbor.

A slow scattered clap finally met his ears as he made his way over to the table decorated in green and silver. He looked for an empty spot and found one on the side of the blonde boy he had met in Diagon Ally the day he went with Hagrid.

"Hello," the pale boy greeted. "I was looking for you all day today and I couldn't spot you anywhere!"

"Oh," Harry said while he tried to figure out if he was mocking him. Blue eyes met green and Harry didn't find any traces of malice so he replied, "I found a compartment near the back of the train and decided to read some of my textbooks."

"On the train ride? Are you sure you aren't meant to be in Ravenclaw?" The boy responded making a face.

"Well this is where the hat put me, no?" Harry countered.

"True enough. Well anyway welcome to Slytherin. I'm Draco Malfoy by the way."

"Harry Potter."

"I figured." Draco replied.

They were interrupted by a loud burst of applause. Harry turned and saw a redhead walking toward the Gryffindor table while the table went completely mad. Looking back to Draco he saw that he and most of the others at his table were shaking their heads and rolling their eyes.

"Anyway as I was saying I'm Draco and this is Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode, and Theodore Nott." As Draco introduced each kid they gave Harry a little wave.

"Hey." Harry was going to say more when the hall fell silent.

Dumbledore stood up and said four strange words that no one seemed to understand. As soon as the headmaster sat back down food sprang up onto the table. Harry simply gaped at the shear amount of food that popped up all over the table. He glanced around and saw everyone start to pile their plates high. He hesitantly started to pick from some of the bowls and platters to add to his own.

He ate all he could, which wasn't very much, and then grabbed two extra rolls from the breadbasket. Looking around the table to see if anyway was watching he slipped them into his robe pocket.

The rest of the meal passed by quickly. Harry found himself being included in an argument debating quidditch statistics. He didn't know much about the sport except the little he had read but it was fun to see Draco and Theo go at it as if it was the most important thing in the world.


As Harry followed after his prefect he was blown away by the grandness of the castle. All of the hallways had such high ceilings and everything that was still in the muggle world was now animated. The portraits all chatted as they passed by and even the suits of armor seemed to be nudging each other and giggling. Following the stairs down to the dungeons his heart skipped a beat. If they were down below the first floor would there be any windows or would it be like he was stuck inside his cupboard all over again?

Upon entering the Slytherin common room he realized how wrong he had been to even think anything about Hogwarts could remind him of his cupboard. The common room didn't have any windows, but it was warm and inviting. There were couches and large comfortable looking chairs scattered throughout. Tiny wooden tables were pulled close to the other furniture for easy access. The best part of the entire room was the giant fireplace complete with a roaring fire.

"First Years should go sit on the couch by the fire and wait for Professor Snape." The perfect gestured for them to go when no one moved.

"Who's Professor Snape?" Harry whispered.

"He's our head of house and the potions professor. He was the one sitting next to the man with the turban. Didn't you see him?" Draco asked.

Harry shook his head. He hadn't looked up to the head table even once. Looking adults in the eye never ended well in Harry's experience and he hadn't wanted to offend anyone on his first day.

"What is he coming to talk to us about?"

Draco shrugged, "Hell if I know."

The first years shuffled over to the couches and Harry began to feel nervous. He wasn't the only one. Theodore Nott also seemed to be having trouble sitting still. Harry watched as the boy's knee kept bobbing up and down.

"Ah, good to see you can all follow instructions."

Harry and the others all jumped as a voice startled them from behind. Harry took in a quick breath when he saw who he could only presume to be Professor Snape. The man stood tall and was dressed in black robes. Long hair hung limply around his face and he certainly didn't seem like a particularly nice person. Harry scooted further back into the couch and dropped his gaze to his lap.

"I am Professor Snape and I want to welcome you all to Slytherin. Now you must understand that being in Slytherin is different from being in any other house. The people who sit with you today will truly be your family. You will look past any differences you have and learn to depend on them. I will not lie to you, as slytherins you will face hardships. Other houses look down on us and believe that just because we are sorted into a certain house we must be inherently evil. That is why I stress that it is essential that you learn to trust each other. Most of the children who are sorted into this house face difficulties that no other students will ever have to face. I want you all to know that I will always have your best interests at heart and am available if you are having any problems. Now you will be going to the infirmary to do a quick checkup before retiring for bed and this is not up for negotiation. If you ever are struggling with anything at all you can go to any of the upper years or you can approach me when I am here or in my office. Come now, we will go by floo."

Harry could feel his entire body shaking. A checkup? No way could he do that. His uncle had given him one hell of a going away present and he would be damned to open up that can of worms. He had been down this path before and he wasn't about to try it again. He had told his teacher once, Mrs. Lavoie, and believed, like an idiot, that things were going to get better. Oh how wrong he had been. It hadn't taken long to learn that what happened in the Dursley household stayed there.

The others also seemed hesitant but Harry didn't pay them any mind. What was he going to do? He couldn't keep his hands from trembling and wasn't sure he could even walk. Examining his professor who stood with his arms crossed, it was obvious that that the man was not to be argued with.

Harry remained on the couch, even after everyone else got up and moved towards the fireplace. He honestly hadn't thought this was would be what was taking place on his first night at Hogwarts.

"Mr. Potter?" Snape drawled.

Harry gulped and stood, still not meeting the professor's eye.

That's when he noticed that one of the girls, Pansy Parkinson, actually stepped into the fireplace as the fire flared green.

"Its alright Harry, its just the floo." Draco reassured him, "You just throw in the floo powder and say ‘Hogwarts infirmary'."

Harry nodded, taking two deep breaths. He had to calm down if he was going to get through this checkup. He had been examined before and things had been fine, all he needed were the right answers. Taking one more deep breath he finally settled down enough to stand still.

When it was Harry's turn to go a hand landed on his should and he flinched.

"Sir?"

"Do you know how to use the floo Mr. Potter?" Snape asked.

"Yes, sir." Harry replied before throwing in the powder and yelling, "Hogwarts infirmary!"

To be continued...
Infirmary Woes by mkm246

To say that Severus Snape was concerned would be an understatement. Being the head of slytherin he had a lot of experience with abused children. It was true that almost all abused children ended being sorted into his house. It frustrated him that every year there were more. Even though he was able to heal them physically he couldn't always remove them from their situation. Wizard law varied greatly from muggle law. Pure bloods were able to raise their children as they saw fit with no interference from the ministry. Severus protected them as much as he could but he couldn't help but feel as if he could never do enough.

Students returning to slytherin after a summer spent with their loving parents often left them in bad condition. He was close with his snakes and kept correspondence with most even during the holidays. His slytherins respected him and while the students in other houses feared him, his snakes knew that he would never betray their trust.

Every year during the opening feast Severus studied his students. He noted which of the upper years he would have to bring to the infirmary after he had sorted out the first years. It looked as if only a couple of the older students this year would need to be seen by Poppy herself.

Severus had never looked forward to the opening feast for these reasons, but this year he dreaded it even more. This year Harry Potter would be entering Hogwarts. It was just too soon. He hadn't had enough time to grieve for Lily. He hadn't had enough time to get over his hatred of James. Harry Potter was a symbol of the past and it was not something he wanted to dwell on.

He had actually been shocked when the child had been sorted into his own house. Surely he belonged in Gryffindor. That had been the house of his parents and the house of his paternal grandparents. A Potter hadn't been sorted in any other house ever as far as Severus knew.

He turned his attention to the boy and it was obvious that Potter was not what he had pictured him to be like in his head. He wasn't the confident child he expected and seemed almost withdrawn. He shyly sat down next to Draco Malfoy of all people. This was just not how a spoiled brat acted.

Watching the boy some more Severus felt his heart begin to drop. Harry sat rigidly, never relaxing throughout the meal. He saw that he didn't even serve himself until everyone else had and when he did begin to eat he had only taken a few bites before the child pushed his plate away.

It was apparent that something was seriously wrong with the boy when he saw him sneak some bread into his robe, obviously not trusting that he would be eating consecutive meals.

It was reassuring to see that his snakes included the child in their conversations. While Harry had sat silently though the meal as soon as dessert popped up on the table, Malfoy and Nott drew him into their discussion. What they talked so passionately about, Severus could only guess.

After the feast had finished he took his time walking down to the slytherin common room. He would give his prefects time to take the first years down slowly so they would learn their way. Bringing his first years to Poppy was always the worst part of the year. They were so young and frightened and never made finding out the truth easy.

As he walked up behind the children who were all sitting on the couch he cleared his throat. When no one seemed to notice his presence, he said, "Ah, I see you can all follow instructions."

He watched as they all jumped. He saw apprehension written all over their faces. The Nott boy looked a little green. Severus sighed again it seemed Potter wasn't going to be the only one he would need to watch out for this year.

He gave the same speech he gave his snakes every year. He watched as Harry refused to look up from his lap and as Theodore Nott's knees began shaking even faster than they had been before he mentioned the check up. This part certainly never got easier.

Each child got up and walked towards the floo. Potter didn't move, still sitting and staring at his lap.

"Mr. Potter?"

The boy still refused to look at him but at least he stood up and walked over to Draco. They whispered about something and Potter seemed to relax just a fraction. It dawned on him then that the boy had grown up with muggles and he would have never used the floo before.

He put a hand on the child's shoulder and cursed himself when the boy flinched. Well, if he hadn't been sure of the abuse before he was now

"Sir?"

"Do you know how to use the floo, Mr. Potter?"

The boy nodded, ‘"Yes, sir."

He wasn't lying because before Severus could even attempt to explain the boy threw powder into the fireplace and shouted, "Hogwarts infirmary!"

Severus took a minute to look around the common room and gave his snakes a reassuring nod before joining the first years in the hospital wing.


They all sat in the waiting chairs except for the Parkinson girl who must have been being examined by Poppy. He walked over to the only bed with the curtains drawn and joined the mediwitch while she waved her wand around the girl.

"All seems to be in order. Do you require anything at this time Ms. Parkinson?" Poppy asked the girl.

"No, ma'am."

"Alright then you may go back to the dormitories and retire to bed. It has been a long day for you," Severus told her.

They went through this with the rest of his first years until only Potter and Nott were left.

"You may each take a bed," Severus gestured to two beds on the opposite side of the room from each other.

They examined Nott first. Severus was apprehensive while the mediwitch did her diagnostic spell.

"Mr. Nott it seems that you have contusions on your back and multiple exposures to what seems to be a similar curse to the Cruciatus. Can you tell me how you came about these injuries?" Poppy asked the boy who looked as if he really might be sick now.

"Mr. Nott," Severus said in a stern voice, causing the boy to startle. "Please answer Madame Pomfrey's question."

"I don't know," the boy whispered.

"I do not tolerate lying. I can promise you that anything you say in this room will stay between us. Please just answer her question."

"My... father, ma'am."

The mediwitch shook her head and made notes in the boys file.

"Don't worry I'll give you some potions and you'll feel much feel better by tomorrow."

As she went to go gather the potions she would need, Severus took the boys hand.

"I wish I could do more, my boy." He said regretfully. "You will find you are not the only one in slytherin that suffers from this sort of problem. While you are at Hogwarts you need not be worried for your safety. We will talk more when we have our first meeting next week. After Madame Pomfrey gets back with your potions I expect you to return to your dorms and go straight to sleep as it is getting late."

The boy nodded and as soon as Poppy returned Severus went over to the bed Potter was in. He stayed hidden for moment, taking his time to study the boy. He did look a lot like James, but at the same time nothing at all like the man. He was much smaller, more fragile. He did share most of the James' features though and Severus knew it was only a matter of time before the boy got to be healthier. Then Potter could practically be a carbon copy.

Severus knew that he couldn't hate the boy just because of his resemblance to his father. He was so obviously different. James Potter had been spoiled and arrogant while Severus could tell by just watching his son that he didn't carry these traits.

Potter looked up as Severus made himself known and his breath caught in his throat. Staring back at him were eyes he believed he would never see again. They were Lily's unique emerald eyes, the greenest of greens.

As quickly as the boy looked up he looked back down, face flushing.

Severus took the seat next to Potters bed when Poppy walked in.

"Mr. Potter as I know you aren't familiar with magic let me assure you that you won't feel a thing." She told the boy.

With Potter's nod she quickly went to work. What really only took no more than a minute seemed like hours to Severus. He could feel knots in his stomach as he watched Poppy's face grow darker.

"Well, you have major bruising on your back and legs, a couple of your ribs are cracked, you have a sprained wrist and internal bleeding. You should have come to me straight off of the train. These injuries are on top of the fact you are extremely malnourished. How did you come to be this way Mr. Potter?"

Potter paled as Poppy went through all of his injuries.

"I... my... you see..." the boy stammered as his whole body began to shake.

"You must calm down Mr. Potter. I promise you will be fine. Anything you say here will never go back to your relatives. Now take this." Severus pulled a calming draught and handed it to him.

Potter gulped the potion and while stopped shaking he also stopped talking. The child looked determinedly down at his hands, not moving at all.

"You can have this conversation another time," Poppy said looking from Severus to the boy. "I have a patient to heal. Mr. Potter you will be spending the night here. I will reassess you in the morning to see if you are fit for classes."

Severus had known as Poppy said them that the injuries were bad, but it had been years since a child had actually had to spend the night because of what their parents or guardian had done to them. He would have to talk to the boy soon so he was going to have to move Potter's meeting to be first.

Poppy went to gather her potions and Severus took the child's hand as he had done with Theodore.

"You will not fear for your safety at Hogwarts. Come to my office directly after dinner tomorrow if you are released and we will talk more then."

Potter nodded, still staring at his lap.

"Mr. Potter, look at me."

The boy took a deep breath and glanced up, still not meeting Severus's eye.

"My eyes, Mr. Potter. I want you to know that I am not lying when I say I will do everything in my power to make your situation better without your relatives knowledge."

To the child's credit he did meet his professor's eye, even if it was only while Severus spoke. Potter nodded again as Severus finished talking.

Poppy came back over with a tray full of potions. She instructed him to take each one before she waved her wand and he was wearing the standard hospital pajamas. She then began to preform various healing spells. When she was finished she handed him a purple potion.

"Take this and you will be able to sleep without any problems," Poppy told Potter.

The boy sat looking at the potion before downing it in one gulp.

Still holding his hand, Severus watched as Potter closed his eyes. Once he was sure that he was deeply asleep, the man stood from his chair and made his way to the fireplace. His night was far from over. He still had to address his older snakes and make sure they were all well. It was only after that that he would be able to finally rest for the night.

To be continued...
First Day by mkm246
Harry Potter stretched and sighed contentedly. His mind wasn't really awake yet but he felt better than he had in his entire life. Slowly he blinked his eyes open and realized where he was. His stomach dropped as he remembered what had happened the night before.

This was not good. His teacher knew why he had his injuries before Harry even had a chance to try and cover for his family. Sure, Snape had said nothing would get back to his relatives but Harry couldn't help but worry. His uncle would not be happy if wizards questioned him and he always took out his anger on Harry. No, this simply could not be happening.

Harry knew that his professor expected him to trust the man, but Harry also knew that he could never do that. Adults had never done right by Harry and he wasn't about to let his guard down. He had to try and convince Snape that this was all just a misunderstanding.

"Ah, Mr. Potter, good to see you awake so early," Madame Pomfrey came bustling into the infirmary. She came over to his bed and waved her wand the same way he had seen her do yesterday.

"Well, you seem to be recovering nicely. If you want you can go down to your dormitory to get ready for the day. I have a weeks worth of nutritional potions for you and I want you to drink one with each meal. Come back this weekend and I'll give you a check over to see how they are working."

She handed him the vials and ushered him out of the hospital wing.

"Hurry now, I don't want you missing any meals. If you need anything don't hesitate to come back!"

Harry nodded and made his way back down to the dungeons. At least he wouldn't miss a day of classes. He certainly didn't want to be drawing any extra attention to himself. He wondered what he would tell the other boys about why he hadn't gone back to the dorms the night before.

As it turned out though, he wouldn't have to tell them anything. When he entered the dorms he realized they were all still asleep. Well, no time like the present to take a quick shower.

Now clean, he made his way back to the last empty bed in the first years dorm. He saw that his trunk was beside it along with his empty owl cage. He needed a plan. What could he possibly tell his head of house to get him to let go of the notion that Harry was being hurt by his relatives?

Draco interrupted his thoughts by tossing a pillow at him.

"What time did you get back to the dorms? I tried to stay up and wait for you but I guess I fell asleep."

"Uh, I'm not sure. I had to wait awhile because Madame Pomfrey was busy with another student." The lie slipped easily off of Harry's tongue.

Draco nodded, obviously believing him. "Well, as I see that you have already started to get ready I better go shower so we can go up to breakfast together."

The other boys followed Draco's lead to the washroom and Harry was once again alone. He allowed himself to relax and get ready. He packed his backpack and fixed his tie. Slipping three of the potions Madame Pomfrey had given him into the front pocket, he arranged them so that they wouldn't break.

As soon as the last textbook was placed into his bag, a boy with black hair and dark eyes popped his head in.

"Hello," he announced, "I'm Blaise Zambini. I don't think we met last night during the feast."

"Harry Potter," Harry replied holding out his hand.

"Come now, Draco told me to fetch you because he's running late. He'll meet us all up in the Great Hall."

Harry followed Blaise down to the common room where the others where waiting. They greeted each other and made their way up the moving staircases for breakfast. They were among the first to arrive and grabbed some of the best seats at the far corner of the table.

Harry watched everyone start digging into their food before he served himself. He could feel himself being watched but he didn't want to look at the head table to confirm his suspicions about who it was.

He continued to eat, trying to ignore the hairs that stood up on the back of his neck.

"Hey mate," Draco greeted as he sat down in the empty seat next to Harry.

"What took so long?" Harry asked, grateful for something to take his mind of the eyes that were burning a whole in the back of his head.

"My hair didn't really want to cooperate."

"Yeah, Malfoy," Blaise joined in. "You take longer than Pansy here to get ready in the morning."

"Hey!" Both Pansy and Draco said at the same time.

"Jinx!" They both said to the others' amusement.

A throat being cleared behind Harry made him jump, quickly adapting a blank look to take over his features.

Everyone turned to see their head of house with a stack of papers.

"Your schedules," the man said, eyebrows raised.

Once he handed a paper to each student he turned to Harry.

"Eyes up, Mr. Potter."

Harry looked up and if he hadn't known better he might say the man was amused. But this was a game that had been played on him before. He knew that he shouldn't underestimate what exactly Snape's intentions were.

After studying Harry for another moment, the man told him, "Do not forgot our appointment. I expect you in my office directly after dinner. If you are unsure where that is just ask any of the upper years I'm sure they won't mind showing you."

Harry looked back down to his plate.

"Yes, sir."

The professor seemed to accept this and continued down the table handing out the rest of the syltherin schedules.

"I guess you have the first meeting Harry," Pansy said. "I don't have one until next week."

"I have one Friday," Draco added.

"Mine is tomorrow," Theo told Harry. The way he looked at him made Harry think that Theo might have the same guesses about his life that Professor Snape did. While that made him uncomfortable, he was happy to realize that he wasn't the only one who would be meeting privately with the professor.

"Yes, well, we have transfiguration first and I don't think we should be late on our first day." Harry was careful not to look at Theo as he said this. The others murmured in agreement.


 Harry sat nervously through his classes all day. He sat in the back between Draco and Blaise, careful not to draw any of his teachers' attention. He hadn't earned any points for his house, but he didn't lose any either. He took notes, read from the book when instructed, and made sure to write down all of his homework assignments.

Dinner came far too early for his liking and before he knew it, it was time to down his potion and meet with Snape. He was so screwed. All day he had been trying to come up with something that would explain why he had been injured, but nothing believable came to mind.

On his walk down to the dungeons Harry was frustrated with himself. He couldn't stop his hands from shaking. He needed to learn to control himself better. He knew that none of the other slytherins were afraid of the professor and they even seemed to like and respect him. But Harry knew better than to trust blindly.

Standing in front of the large wooden door, Harry seriously contemplated just walking away. He could avoid the man for at least another day, besides he didn't have potions until Thursday. But no, Harry couldn't not follow a direct order. Punishments were always worse after disobeying, no matter who the adult was.

Hesitantly he knocked. He held his breath when no answer came from inside. Harry was raising his hand to knock again when he heard a faint, "Come in."

Harry opened the door to a room that was the complete opposite of what he thought Snape's office would be like. It was a large room with a couch off to the side. There was a grand oak desk that the professor sat behind and two plush chairs in front of it. It wasn't dark or intimidating in the slightest.

"Do have a seat, Mr. Potter." Snape pointed to the chairs in front of his desk.

Harry immediately sat down in the chair on the left. It was slightly further away from his professor and it was closest to the door.

"I received a note from Madame Pomfrey that you are fully healed and just need to take a nutrient potion with every meal. How are you feeling today?"

Harry became quite fascinated with his hands as he said, "Much better, sir, thank you."

He could feel Snape's eyes on him as they sat in silence.

"Now I know this may be hard for you, but I need to know the truth behind your injuries. I know it may be difficult to speak of, but I cannot help you unless I know the truth."

Harry remained silent. He didn't have an excuse and he certainly wasn't going to tell Snape how he really came about those injuries.

"Very well. I shall ask you again at a later date."

Harry was shocked as well as pleased. He even allowed himself to sit back in his chair more.

"On a different note I wish to tell you my expectations of you for the next seven years. We will have a monthly session when you come to my office and we just talk. I ask you that you try your hardest in your classes and if you need any help, you can just ask a prefect. I will also be available during my office hours every day should you need help with anything or just wish to speak with me. Mr. Potter look at me."

Harry brought his eyes up to once again meet his professor's.

"I am not the enemy, alright? I am here to help you. I know that your life wasn't easy before you arrived here but I meant what I said when I said that your house is your family. We slytherins take care of one another."

"Yes, sir."

"Now I want you to do something for me. I want you to empty your pockets out onto my desk."

Damn, well this was not good. Snape must have seen him nicking food from the tables. He knew stealing food was against the rules. He could feel himself flushing as he pulled out the apple and two rolls and places them on the desk.

"I'm sorry, sir"

"There is no need to apologize. I only wish for you to know that you will never go hungry while you are at Hogwarts. You may keep the food you take, just be sure to keep it in this box."

Harry was confused until he saw Snape put a square box up onto his desk beside the food. He opened it and placed the apple and rolls inside of it.

"As long as the lid stays on your food will stay fresh. You may keep this in your dorm and eat whenever you feel hungry as long as you don't miss any meals. I want to see you keep eating and drinking your potions. If you don't require my assistance for anything you may be dismissed."

Harry couldn't believe his luck. His professor wasn't going to take away his food at all. He took the box and quickly made his way to the door.

He paused for a second and said, "Thank you, sir." Before rushing out and heading back to his common room.

 

To be continued...
Difficult Confrontations by mkm246

 Severus let out a breath he hadn't know he had been holding as he watched Potter scurry out of his office. This visit hadn't gone horribly and he knew that with time he would get Harry to trust him.

He needed to have a talk with Dumbledore. He knew that the man was the child's guardian in the magical world and therefore was the person who placed Potter with his relatives. While he knew he couldn't help many of the children who came from not so loving families, he would try his best to get Potter removed from his relatives care.

He wondered how much Dumbledore knew of Harry's life at the Dursleys. He had heard Minerva complain about the muggles the boy lived with but Severus had never paid it any mind. He had been so sure that the boy was growing up spoiled, just like his father.

But Dumbledore must have someone living next to the boy to check in on him. Why would he leave the savior of the wizarding world in the care of people who hurt him so badly?

He pinched the bridge of his nose. No, this was not going to be a fun conversation. Either Dumbledore knew about the abuse and turned a blind eye or he had never checked to see how Potter was faring. Severus knew that the man was well aware of Petunia's dislike of her sister. Perhaps though, like Severus, he had thought that she had grown out of it.

How many people had let Potter down? His relatives, Dumbledore, hell even Severus could find reason to blame himself. He had known Petunia; he knew how jealousy drove her actions as a child. He should have inquired how Potter was doing at least once.

Severus glanced at the piles of summer work that had been turned in. It would take him at least a month to grade it all. That on top of his slytherin meetings meant he would be getting little sleep for the next month.

He had things to do that were more important than sleep though, this conversation with Dumbledore being just one. He might as well just go and get it over with. He took a calming breath and made his way over to the floo.

"Headmaster's office!"


 Severus had been sitting in a chair in Dumbledore's office for at least a quarter of an hour. He had arrived to find both Albus and Minerva in a heated argument about something. They had both abruptly stopped speaking the moment they had seen him standing by the floo.

Now, they were continuing their discussion in Minerva's office. Severus didn't really care what they were arguing about as long as they hurried up. He was a busy man and didn't have all night.

He was about to just leave a note requesting an appointment when the floo flared.

"Hello, my boy," he said. "What can I do for you today?"

"What do you know of Potter's home life?" Severus asked bluntly.

Severus felt his heart drop when he saw the look on his mentor's face.

"You knew."

"Severus, I do know he is not loved the way he should be but there are wards on that house. If Vodemort should return it's the only way his mother's sacrifice will protect him." Dumbledore sat down behind his desk and took off his glasses. Severus had never seen the man look this old.

"Not loved? Is that what you call being beaten and starved these days? If the boy had stayed in the muggle world and went without medical care for much longer he could have died."

"No," Dumbledore let out a harsh whisper. "No, he was taken care of."

"Did you ever check on him? If you don't believe what I say then go and ask Poppy for his medical record."

"But Petunia promised. She knew that by taking him in she was part of a magical binding contract." Severus watched as Dumbledore put his face in his hands.

"He won't be going back there." Severus couldn't keep the venom out of his voice.

"Severus, listen to me. He needs those blood wards if he wants a fighting chance against Voldemort someday. You made a promise many years ago to protect the boy, this is how it has to be."

Severus slammed his fist on the desk. "Dammit Albus I can't send him back there. I know that I can't keep all of my slytherins safe but Potter's case is different. He can be taken from them."

"You must listen to reason, my boy. He will never survive without the blood wards."

"Albus, listen to yourself right now. You want to send an abused child back to the people who abused him in the first place. There are no legal spells or potions that can keep Potter safe."

Dumbledore glanced up and looked Severus in the eye.

He sighed before saying, "You are right, of course. Although, I fear for what will become of him without those wards though. He will need to stay with someone who is well versed in dueling and knows how to protect themselves. I shall start asking around within the Order if they would be willing to take him."

Severus nodded. After all these years he had finally won a battle against the great Albus Dumbledore.

"That is all I ask. Potter deserves to live somewhere where he will be safe."

"Yes, well we still have the entire school year to figure something out, now it is getting late and it has been a long day." Dumbledore put his glasses back on and stood. Severus, knowing a dismissal when he heard one, bid the man goodnight before stepping through the floo and back to his own quarters.


The next day Severus woke early. His conversation with Albus hadn't gone the way he hoped, but in the end he did get what he went there for. Potter wouldn't be sent back to those monsters and that was what truly mattered anyway.

It wasn't yet light out when Severus rolled out of bed. He took his time getting ready. After he was dressed and ready he still have a half an hour before breakfast would be served. He sat at his desk and started to organize his lessons plans for the day.

When he looked up to the clock Severus was surprised at how much time had passed. He would have to hurry if he wanted to enough time to eat. He got up and made his way to the Great Hall.

Once in his usual seat he looked over to make sure all of his snakes were there. He let his eyes rest on Potter. It was good to see him fitting in with his housemates. He always sat next to the Malfoy boy during meals. He wondered what Lucius thought of his son becoming best friends with the Boy-Who-Lived.

He turned his attention away from the first years as the mail arrived. Two envelopes landed in front of him. He didn't have time to see what they were because as he went to open the first, screams let out from the slytherin table.

He could see a group of students clustered around where his first years sat. He quickly sprung to action, rushing over to the group.

Potter was slumped over his place setting covered in blood. As he got closer he could see that it was coming from the boy's hands. Long red and purple streaks covered the boy's skin. There was no doubt that the boy had been cursed.

There was a pile of mail in front of Harry and Draco was reaching for it.

"Stop!" He yelled, "Don't touch any of that."

He conjured a stretched and lifted Potter onto it. He looked around and was grateful to see Minerva pushing her way through the crowd.

"Collect the mail and bring it to the infirmary," He called to her gesturing to the pile of letters in front of Potter's plate.

At her nod he guided the stretcher up to the Hospital Wing.

 

 

To be continued...
New Friends? by mkm246
Harry woke up once again not knowing where he was. He slowly opened his eyes before groaning. He was in the hospital wing again. He tried to remember his journey here but just couldn't bring forth the memory.

A soft clearing of someone's throat jerked him away from his thoughts. Harry turned his head and was surprised to see his head of house sitting in the chair beside his bed.

"Sir?" Harry asked, "What happened?"

Glancing around he could see that it was clearly nighttime. There was no sunlight streaming through the many infirmary windows. He studied his professor and saw that he had a stack of parchment beside him and seemed to be writing on one.

"What's the last thing you remember, Mr. Potter?"

"Uh, I don't... I think... I was at breakfast?" Harry stammered. He still wasn't a fan of being in such close proximity to an adult and he couldn't string his thoughts together very well.

Snape nodded, "Yes, you had just received your mail when there was quite a bit of commotion at the Slytherin table."

"But sir, I don't think... I mean... I'm not sure I follow. I don't know anyone who would send me any mail." Harry was confused. He hadn't gotten any mail ever. Unless, of course, you counted his Hogwarts letter.

"Well this morning you had a whole pile of letters. I don't mean to be blunt, Mr. Potter, but someone tried to do you serious harm by sending a cursed letter. Have you had any trouble with anyone in your classes?"

"No, sir." Harry couldn't believe any harm could come from a letter. What kind of harm? How did he get to the hospital wing? Most importantly, who sent the letter?

"It was sent by a school owl," Snape continued as if he could read Harry's thoughts. "You must be careful, even with people you believe to mean you no harm. If you suspect anyone you steer clear of them and come directly to me. Do you understand?"

Harry could only nod. Someone at Hogwarts wanted to hurt him? He had a million questions but he knew better than to ask.

"Seeing as you are well," Snape interrupted his thoughts. "I will leave you to your rest."

The man picked up all of his things, and paused for a moment before turning and walking out of the infirmary.

Harry leaned back, relaxing into the pillows. Well, this had been one hell of a day. He tried to think of anyone who could have wanted to hurt him and no one came to mind. The Gryffindors weren't overly nice to him, but it wasn't so much him as a person but as a Slytherin. They didn't particularly like the Sytherins, but as Harry was learning not many people outside of his house did.

He decided to talk to Draco about it tomorrow and let his eyes close.


When Harry woke again he heard voices.

"Well shut up before you wake him!"

"No, you shut up! Your quill is making so much noise just scritch scratch all afternoon! I swear I'll go mad if you don't stop already!"

Harry opened his eyes to see Draco and Blaise sitting in chairs beside his bed.

"Hey guys," Harry interrupted.

Both boys jerked and turned to him.

"Good to see you awake, mate!" Draco exclaimed, obviously already forgetting about his irritation with Blaise.

"How long was I out for?" Harry asked.

"A day and a half! You missed our first potions class you know. I swear the look on those Gryffindors' faces when Snape was giving his little speech. It looked as if they were going to wet their pants!"

Harry leaned back against the pillows. He wasn't sure how he felt about missing potions. On one hand he had been terribly nervous just thinking about having to concentrate on making a potion while he knew his teacher was watching him. On the other hand he knew he was good at elementary chemistry and cooking so perhaps it would be a way to prove himself.

"Well I am sorry I missed that," Harry said replying to Blaise's comments about the Gryffindors. It wasn't right the way they thought they were better than everyone else. It would have been nice to see them taken down a couple of notches.

"Yeah well we have it again in a couple days and I'm sure that Snape won't let the Gryffindor's get away with anything in his class," Draco replied with a smirk.

Harry nodded, "What else did I miss?"

"Well, you didn't miss much. Although the girls were pretty spooked about all the blood. "

Harry groaned, "Was it really that bad?"

Blaise and Draco exchanged a look.

"It wasn't good if that's what you're asking! You've really got to be more careful with your mail. Although someone should have been checking it for you. I mean, you are the Boy-Who-Lived and you were just sorted into Syltherin. You would think Dumbledore or someone would take bigger precautions." Draco explained.

Harry shook his head, "It came from Hogwarts."

"What!" Draco and Blaise exclaimed.

"Yeah, Snape told me when I first woke up. He said I had to be on my guard."

Draco shook his head, "It better not be anyone from Syltherin. Not only would Snape kill them but so would the rest of the house. I bet it was some Gryffindor!"

"It sure is possible," Blaise agreed.

After the silence began to make him uncomfortable Harry said, "So what else did I miss?"

"Seamus Finnegan practically blew up the charms classroom trying to get his feather to levitate." Draco told him.

All three boys began to laugh as Draco and Blaise filled Harry in on the day he missed.


 Harry was more than relieved when Madam Pomfrey released him the next day. His friends had left him with schoolwork the day before but he had finished that in a couple of hours. If she had kept him another day he was going to go crazy.

The first thing that Harry did once he left the infirmary was go down to the dungeons. It was the first weekend at Hogwarts and he really did need to start on his reading. He had bought many books while in Diagon Ally and he wanted to start learning more about life as a wizard. Living in Syltherin he didn't want to draw attention by asking too many questions.

Surprisingly there were no lower years in the common room. In fact, there weren't many people at all. Only a couple of sixth years were huddled over something in the corner. At least he wouldn't have to explain what he was doing to his friends.

After grabbing his books Harry headed to the library. He was drawn to the back corner where he knew he wouldn't be seen. He went by the cases of books and spread all of his things around him. He opened the first book and began to read.

Harry was fully engrossed in a book about a young wizard when he heard a sniffle from behind. Curious, Harry put down his book and turned behind him. A girl had her head down on the table behind him and her shoulders were shaking.

Harry got up to see what was wrong when he noticed she was wearing Gyffindor colors. He paused for a second as he recognized her bushy hair. It was Hermione Granger sitting at the table crying.

He didn't know much about her but he did know that she was a know it all. He had been hearing Draco complaining about her since their first class they shared with Gryffindor. While he knew that his friends wouldn't approve he couldn't just walk away.

"Hey, I'm Harry," he said, sliding into the chair next to her. He watched as she picked up her head, her eyes red and puffy.

"Hello," she said in a small voice. She looked at him for a moment before averting her eyes.

"You're Hermione, right?" he asked and she nodded. "What's wrong?"

Hermione shook her head, "Everyone hates me!"

"Come on, its only your first week here how can anyone hate you?"

Hermione shrugged, "I heard the girls in my dorm talking about me. I just... I know that they don't like me. The others feel the same way. I don't know why but I thought things would be different here."

Harry empathized with her. He knew what it was like for everyone to hate you, that's for sure.

"Before I came to Hogwarts I didn't have any friends either," he told her.

She looked at him skeptically, "I've seen you surrounded by people since you first got here."

Harry nodded, "Yeah well, I think that's only because in Slytherin we stick together. We aren't really allowed to not like each other."

"Well I wish Gyffindor was like that. Everyone seems like they already know everyone and have separated into groups. They don't ever let up on the teasing either. It won't be long before someone comes in here and starts up again."

A light went off in Harry's head, "I think I know somewhere we can go and no one will bother you."

Harry went back to his table and stuffed his books back into his backpack. He glanced up and saw Hermione was doing the same.

"Come on, let's go," Harry called to her as he headed out the door. Pulling the girl with him through the corridors.

Once they got to the spot he had been thinking of, Harry was satisfied as he watched Hermione poke around the room. Although it wasn't really a room, but more of a nook. It was located in the dungeons way past the Slytherin common room. He had found it the when he had gotten a little lost. There were two large puffy chairs with a small table in the middle. The best part about it was that it was completely secluded from the rest of the castle.

"Wow Harry, this is amazing!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Yeah I know and no one would bother you all the way down here."

Hermione smiled, "This is perfect."

Harry agreed and jumped onto one of the chairs. He watched Hermione sit down and pull out one of her textbooks. Harry grinned as he pulled out his own story and began to read.


It wasn't until hours later when his stomach began to growl that Harry looked up from his book. He chuckled when he saw Hermione, fast asleep over her work.

He glanced down at his watch before he shook his friend awake.

"Hermione! Come on if we don't hurry we will miss dinner."

She opened her eyes before really waking up and jumping from her chair.

"We missed lunch?" She asked while collecting her things and putting them back in her bag.

"Yeah and I'm starving so lets go," Harry laughed as he put his own things back into his bag.

They hurried through the halls and were almost to the Slytherin common room when Harry saw a dark figure approaching them. Going closer, he was relieved to see that it was Snape.

"Mr. Potter," the man called, "where have you been all day?"

Harry gulped and stepped back at the man's tone. It dawned on him then that the professor should be at dinner, not roaming the dungeons.

"We got caught up in reading, sir" Hermione said, after she realized that Harry wasn't going to answer.

"You were just released from the infirmary, Mr. Potter," Snape drawled. "You had been attacked and then you go an disappear for an entire day without a word to anyone? Besides that you missed a meal and you know how important it is for you not to miss any meals."

Harry could feel his face warming at Snape's words. He couldn't believe that the professor was saying that stuff about missing meals in front of Hermione.

"Miss Granger I trust you can find your way to the Great Hall"

"Yes, sir," Hermione replied, glancing over at Harry before she hurried on her way.

"Come with me," Snape said before turning and beckoning Harry to follow.

To be continued...
A Matter of Trust by mkm246

The boy was going to be the death of him. Severus could not believe that he had gone missing for an entire day. It hadn't been until lunch that Severus had even noticed. He was aware of Harry's relationship with food and knew the boy would never purposefully miss a meal. Besides, Potter knew that he was forbidden to miss any meals. After lunch Severus caught up with his first years to see what Harry was up to.

"Mr. Malfoy," Severus called, "Where is Mr. Potter?"

Draco looked confused, "Well we went to go see him in the infirmary this morning but Madam Pomfrey said she released him right after breakfast. We figured he was doing something for you, sir."

"You mean you haven't seen him all day? Keep an eye out for him and if you find him please send him to my office." He told them.

"Of course, sir," Pansy answered.

Severus knew that his first years would be on the lookout for the boy now, but he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Harry would not miss meals and he was constantly surrounded by the other first years. Added to that he had been attacked just a couple of days ago, by someone who resided in the school no less. Yes, he did need to find the boy, sooner rather than later.

He started looking in all of the normal places first years usually spent their time. He checked the common room, dorms, lake, astronomy tower, owlery, and the library. Severus had plenty of wards on his office and would have been alerted if Harry had shown up there looking for him.

He glanced at his watch and swore. It was almost dinnertime and Harry had been missing now for over five hours. Possibilities began crossing his mind, each more horrific than the last.

Severus Snape didn't panic. He was a trained spy and had learned to control his emotions many years ago. He could think rationally when faced with a difficult situation so he took the logical next step. He alerted Dumbledore who alerted the entire staff and ghosts so they could help with the search.

An hour later and still no sign of Harry he decided to check the Great Hall to see if the boy had shown up for dinner. After a quick glance at Slytherin table his fears were confirmed. All of his first years were there besides Harry and they looked as worried as he felt.

He decided to check the dungeons. He hadn't checked past the common room and there were plenty of confusing corridors. Perhaps the child had gone to explore and had gotten lost trying to find his way back.

He was just walking by the common room when he spotted two rather small students coming his way. Walking closer he noticed it was Harry and the Granger girl and the tension that had been building all day immediately left him.

"Mr. Potter," he called, "where have you been all day?"

Severus watched as both students came to an abrupt halt in front of him. He watched Harry tense and keep his eyes to the floor.

"We got caught up in reading, sir," Granger answered for the boy.

"You were just released from the infirmary, Mr. Potter," Severus said, pushing down the anger that has suddenly filled him. "You had been attacked and then you go an disappear for an entire day without a word to anyone? Besides that you missed a meal and you know how important it is for you not to miss any meals."

He saw the effects of his words as the boy turned bright red, not moving to meet his eye at all. Seeing that he was growing increasingly uncomfortable Severus dismissed the girl and had Harry follow him to his office where they could talk.

Once they were both seated Severus gave himself a moment and took a deep breath.

"Stay here for a moment," he told him, "I need to inform the staff that you have been found."

He ignored the curious look that crossed Harry's face and went to the floo to fill Dumbledore in. Once he assured the man that his young slytherin was completely unharmed he returned to his desk.

"Do you understand the commotion you caused today?" he asked while the boy continued to play with his hands. After sitting in silence for a few minutes he continued.

"Mr. Potter look at me," Snape said and waited until he saw emerald green eyes staring back at him. "The entire staff has been searching the castle trying to find you all day and you've had your friends very worried. What have you been doing all this time that cause you to miss meals? You know how important it is for you to continue to eat as much as you can and to take your potion."

As soon as he had stopped speaking the boy once again put his eyes down and muttered a response that Severus couldn't make out.

"A clear response would be appreciated, Mr. Potter." Severus drawled.

Harry picked his eyes up to meet his as he said, "I'm sorry, sir."

Severus sighed, "While I do appreciate the apology I would like to know where you were all day long."

Harry glanced back down at his hands, "I uh… I went to the library and then I got caught up in reading further down the dungeons. I'm sorry, sir. Honest! I didn't mean to have people waste their whole day looking for me!"

"While you were just wandering around the dungeons reading your book, the entire staff was out looking for you because you might have been injured. No one had seen you since this morning and the longer you were missing the chances of you being hurt continued to climb. You apologize for the time you wasted but instead you should be apologizing for the worry you caused," Severus told the boy.

Harry didn't seem to know how to respond to his words. He sat completely still and continued to keep his eyes on his lap. When he lifted his head Severus could see that he was struggling to keep his composure.

Severus ran his fingers through his hair, "This time you will not be punished but rest assured that if I find out you are skipping meals or disappearing for hours I will be forced to take points and give you detention."

Harry's emotions were written all over his face. Severus could see the guilt and fear turn into relief at his words and then quickly turn into suspicion.

"I trust you have your potions as Madam Pomfrey said that she gave you another weeks worth?"

Harry nodded and Severus summoned the food that the house elves left him in his quarters. He did take notice that the boy eyed the plate jealously.

"Eat. You haven't eaten all day and you must be hungry," he told him.

Harry's eyes lit up before a blank expression once again took over the child's face. He watched Severus while he slowly took a bite of food. Once it was clear that he wasn't going to stop the boy, Harry began to eat with more vigor. He ate his entire meal in silence and then took out his potion from his backpack and downed it in one gulp.

"Now that you are finished I do have one more thing to discuss with you. While you may not be ready to talk about what your relatives did to you, I have the power to remove you from their care. It is painfully obvious that something is not right in that house and you are going to need to talk about it," Severs raised his hand as the boy began to protest. "Not right now, but soon. I assure you, Mr. Potter, that you will never be stepping foot in that house again. The headmaster and I are currently looking for an alternative place for you to stay."

Severus wasn't surprised that the boy didn't change his demeanor at all. It would take time for Harry to trust what he said but Severus was determined to gain that trust.

"Will I go to an orphanage, sir?" he asked.

"Eyes up, Mr. Potter," Severus said, "No, you will not be going to an orphanage or anything of the sort. We are looking into families and couples that want to take you in."

The child muttered something that Severus didn't quite hear.

"What was that? I cannot answer any of your questions if you do not speak clearly."

Harry looked up at him, "Sir, I'm sorry but I don't think anyone would want to take me in. The Dursleys really aren't so bad."

"Mr. Potter," Severus purred, "I will not tolerate lying in this office. We both know the damage that they caused even if you still refuse to speak of it. I will not allow you to ever return there even if no one wanted you, which is simply not true. When your parents died many people petitioned to try and get custody for you. The only thing the headmaster and I are trying to do is find the right people for you to live with."

The boy began playing with his hands once again and a faint tinge of red covered his face.

"If you don't have any further questions than you can be dismissed. Come to my office Wednesday after dinner so we can have another meeting where we can discuss any problems you have, academic or personal. And Mr. Potter my door is always open if you need to talk just come knock on my office door."

The boy nodded as he zipped his backpack and practically ran out the door. Severus pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. It had been a long, stressful day and he hadn't gotten any of the work he had planned to do done. It was destined to be a long night once again.

SHSHSHSHSH

Harry ran out of the office as fast as his legs would carry him. That had been one confusing meeting with the professor. He thought he was dead for sure once he saw the expression on the man's face before he took him to his office.

He couldn't bring himself to believe Snape about the Dursleys. He had been through this routine before. The teacher would see his injuries and believe him but his aunt could spin it and make up completely reasonable explanations for why Harry was hurt and then he would be sent back there an it would be worse because he would be punished for telling. He knew this summer was going to be bad and if Snape kept butting in then it might be worse than Harry could even imagine.

Plus, what was the bull about so many other families wanting to take him in. Where have they been all if his life? Certainly no one cared enough to check on him at the Dursleys so how did he know that they even existed. No, Harry couldn't let himself fall into this trap. It would only hurt him in the end.

The closer he got to the Slytherin common room the more agitated he became. How dare Snape tell him those things? He had said the staff was worried and that was why he was mad at him but why would they be worried? He could understand his friends begin worried but not the teachers, it just didn't make sense.

Shouts of "Harry!" came as he opened the door and entered the common room. A blur came running toward him and threw their arms around his neck. Harry couldn't remember ever being hugged and it was a strange feeling, almost as if he couldn't breathe for a minute.

As soon as the arms were around him they dropped and Harry saw that it was Pansy who had mobbed him and behind her all of his fellow first years stood.

"Where have you been all day?"

"Yeah, what happened?"

"Have you seen Snape yet?"

"Where did you disappear to?"

It seemed that everyone was trying to talk to him at the same time until Draco pushed his way to the front and said, "Hey everyone why don't you shut up and let him explain."

The common room had gone silent and Harry could feel not only his friends' eyes on him, but everyone else's too.

"I was just reading guys. I had to show Hermione this spot so she could…" He stopped as the yelling began once more.

"Wait you were with bloody Granger all day? Do you know that we spent the entire afternoon searching high and low for you? After you being attacked we were sure that something horrible had happened to you and you were just off with that mudblood all day?" Draco yelled the loudest and he was right in Harry's face.

Harry could feel the blood rushing to his face and he took a step back. "I'm sorry... you guys… I didn't think," he stammered.

"Yeah that's right, you didn't think!" This time it was Blaise yelling. "I thought we were friends but apparently you would rather be surrounded by Gryffindor filth than be in our presence."

"Guys, please," Harry tried to interrupt but even Millie was shaking her head at him.

Harry began to feel the walls closing in on him. He needed to get out of there so he turned around and ran back out of the common room, leaving his still yelling friends behind.

SHSHSHSHSHSH

Harry ran until he reached the Entrance Hall. It was only when he stopped that he noticed that someone was following him. He turned around and was surprised to see Theo come to an abrupt halt.

"Come on," Theo said, "lets go sit by the lake."

Harry nodded and they walked out the doors and down to the lake in silence. It was still light out but the sun was starting to go down in the sky.

"Everyone will calm down, Harry," Theo said. "We were all just concerned when you hadn't shown up all day."

"I didn't realize that the day had gone by so quickly. We were just reading when I looked at my clock and by then dinner had already started. I didn't think anyone would notice." Harry tried to explain.

"How could we not notice? You are our friend and there are students who want to cause you serious harm. You shouldn't be going anywhere alone."

"But I wasn't alone! I went to the library when I noticed that Hermione was upset and I knew how to help her. I was with her the entire day," Harry protested.

"You had better stop calling her Hermione or the others are never going to forgive you. You know how it is; you can't be making friends with Gryffindor's and especially not muggleborns. You're just making problems for yourself because even if the others could accept it the upper years will make your life hell. It's just the way it is Harry," Theo said shaking his head.

"You don't get it though," Harry tried to explain. "She's having a tough time in Gryffindor and she doesn't have any friends. I can't just abandon her. At home I didn't have any friends and I know what it's like, okay?"

"Harry I am just trying to help you. Being friends with Granger is going to cause so many problems for you and you can't really afford more problems at the moment," Theo said. "We better go back before we're late for curfew, Snape will have our heads!"

Harry sighed and nodded in agreement. He made his way to the common room knowing at least he still had Theo as a friend, even if the rest of Slytherin hated him.

To be continued...
Alone? by mkm246

Severus woke early the next morning and was one of the first people to arrive for breakfast. As it was Sunday it wasn't until a half hour later that the Great Hall was starting to really fill up. Many of the upper years chose Sunday to sleep late while the younger students seemed to be awake and energized by the crack of dawn.

Looking around the hall, Severus noticed that Harry wasn't sitting with the other first years. In fact he was sitting all by himself at the corner of the table just poking at his food. Examining the other first years, he observed that only Theodore Nott seemed to be glancing up at Harry every so often. The others were all just ignoring his existence completely. It didn't seem to just be the first years ignoring him either, all the Slytherins seemed to be giving the boy the cold shoulder.

He could see why Harry's friends might be angry with him, he did disappear on them for the entire day but why would the other Slytherins care about that? The upper years were even shooting the boy a dirty look every once in a while. What was going on?

Then it dawned on him. Who had Harry been with during his little adventure yesterday? The Granger girl. He should have talked to the boy about that last night. He shouldn't be advertising his love for muggleborns while he was still new in Slytherin, that could come later once he had secured his allies.

On the other hand the child was a half-blood by its true definition and he shouldn't deny that his own mother had been a muggleborn herself. This was a delicate situation and Severus wasn't sure how to proceed. He could let it just play out but that would leave Harry isolated and that was the last thing the boy needed. He would seek out comfort in Granger and the relationships he had already made in Slytherin would be destroyed.

Yet if Severus stepped in he could cause the Slytherins to resent Harry. He was at a loss at what to do. He could let it work itself out for the next couple of days and if it hadn't resolved he would just move his meeting with the boy to Tuesday and talk to him then.

He finished the rest of his breakfast and on his way out he stopped by the Slytherin table.

"Mr. Potter," he said, "It would be much more beneficial for you to actually eat what is on your plate rather than just pushing it around."

The child looked up at him and nodded while he shoved a pile of eggs in his mouth. Severus shook his head at the appalling manners and continued on his way out of the Great Hall so he could get started on refilling his stock of potions.

SHSHSHSHSHSH

Harry watched as his professor left. He didn't know what to make of his but at the moment he had bigger problems. He had woken up early this morning and had snuck out of the common room before anyone else could follow. He had taken the long way to the Great Hall but he was still on one of the first to arrive.

He was just serving himself when his fellow first years entered. They all sat at the opposite end of the table without even a glance in his direction. Theo was with them and when Harry had caught his eye the boy just shrugged.

After he had finished what was on his plate he didn't know where to go. He wanted to go back to the common room but it seemed that all the Slytherins were angry with him not just his friends so that option was out. He supposed he could go to the library again but that seemed like it was where all this trouble had started.

He drank his potion and headed out the door determined not to look behind him at his friends. Maybe going outside and getting some fresh air would help him clear his head.

He walked around the lake, by the forest, and explored the quidditch pitch before he decided he was bored. Just being outside really wasn't very fun when you were all by yourself. He wished Draco wasn't so angry with him because the boy had promised to show Harry how to fly before they had their first class and today would have been the perfect day for it.

He wasn't in the mood for reading, but maybe he could explore the dungeons some more. After all, that is how he found his nook. Who knows what else could be hidden down there. If he found something really cool Draco and the others might even want to come see it with him.

It was with these pleasant thoughts that Harry made his way down to the dungeons with. He walked straight past the corridor the lead to the common room, instead taking a left and following the twisting and turning hallways.

"Look what we have here," a voice said from behind him. "It's the mudblood lover himself."

Turning around Harry saw three rather large sixth year boys from Slytherin. He took a step back. Ideas were running through his head on how he was supposed to get out of this situation but none of them seemed like they would actually work. He was small though and a quick runner; perhaps he could just outrun these guys.

They were getting closer and Harry was running out of time to make a decision so he just went for it. He took off and darted around the boys, back towards the main part of the castle.

"What's wrong, Potter?" One of them called. "You too scared to listen to what we have to say?"

Harry kept himself from turning back and willed himself to run faster, but another one of the boys yelled a spell which Harry dodged. A flash of purple flew by him and hit the wall with a bang! Suddenly, the walls began to buckle and the rocks from the ceiling began to fall.

He heard the boys behind him swear and yell out defensive shields around themselves. Harry just covered his head with his arms and kept running. He managed to avoid being directly hit but by trying to avoid the rocks he fell, landed on his wrist wrong, and felt his left ankle turn the wrong way. He recovered quickly and kept on running until he was out of the danger zone.

He leaned against the wall and slid down it until he was sitting with his legs out and cradling his right arm. His cheek was throbbing and when he went to touch it he realized it was sore and swollen. It could have been worse though; he made it out of the corridor with only a bruise on his face, a sore ankle, and a possibly broken wrist.

After letting himself rest for a minute and catching his breath he started on his long trek to the hospital wing, hopefully Madam Pomfrey wouldn't ask too many questions.

He was just limping to the staircase that lead out of the dungeons when the rest of the Slytherin first years were coming down them. Just the people that Harry had absolutely no desire to see at this particular moment.

"Harry, what happened?" Theo exclaimed, as he was the first person to spot him.

"Nothing," he replied, avoiding eye contact with any of them.

"Bloody hell! Your face is a wreck! Who did that to you?" Blaise said, moving closer to Harry to get a better look.

"I just told you, nothing!" Harry said, trying to step away form him.

"That's bull, Harry, and you know it. Now tell us who did this!" Draco said as he blocked the staircase and gestured to Harry's face and arm.

"If you must know it was a bunch of stupid sixth years who cornered me. They fired some spell which missed and hit the wall. This," Harry said pointing to his injuries, "is from me trying to make it out of the collapsing hallway without being killed. Are you happy now?" Harry said, getting louder and louder as he continued to tell them what happened.

They all looked up and down the corridor to try and see where the damage had occurred.

"It was back there," Harry said with an exasperated sigh.

"Well, we better get you to Snape," Blaise said, grabbing onto Harry so he could lean on him.

"No!" Harry cried. "I was going to Madam Pomfrey. Besides Snape is going to kill me. Oh god he really is! The corridor is completely destroyed and those boys are going to deny everything. What if he expels me?"

Seeing that Harry was working himself up Draco cut into Harry's protests, "Potter, Snap out of it! Of course Snape will believe you, not only are you hurt but I seriously doubt that a first year spell could take out an entire hallway. Now come on!"

Seeing no other way Harry didn't say anything as they lead him back down to Snape's office.

SHSHSHSHSH

Snape was just about to bottle the fever reducer that he had been brewing when the alarm that let him know someone was knocking on his office door went off. He put a stasis spell over the cauldron and walked through to his office to open the door.

To say that he was surprised when he opened the door would have been an understatement. All of his first years were surrounding one Harry Potter who certainly looked worse for wear. He was leaning slightly on Blaise Zanbini, was cradling his arm, and to top it off he had quite the shiner on his face.

Not really sure what was going on he spoke in a dangerous tone, "What happened?"

"Sir, it wasn't Harry's fault!" Malfoy spoke up.

"Yeah, he was attacked!" Parkinson added.

Severus studied the group for a moment before taking Zanbini's place in holding Harry up and led the boy to his usual seat.

"Tell me what happened," he said as he looked on his shelves for the potions and salves he would need.

"I was walking through the dungeons when these sixth year boys came up from behind me and…" Harry started but Severus quickly cut in.

"Wait, sixth year boys? As in sixth year Slytherins?" He asked in what he knew was a demanding tone but he couldn't help it. How dare they attack a member of their own house? One of the most important rules of Slytherin is your house is your family and if you harmed a member then you would suffer serious consequences.

"Yes, sir." Harry answered quietly.

Severus nodded while he continued to go through he potions stock, "Well, continue then."

"There were three of them and they are really big… so I decided to run before they could do anything to me. It would have worked except one of them shot some spell at me, which I dodged but it hit the wall. Oh sir, I am so sorry! The walls shook and then the corridor collapsed in. They cast some sort of shield on themselves but I just ran. The corridor though… it completely caved in." Harry said, nearly hyperventilating by the end of it.

Severus turned around and looked the boy directly in the eye.

"What happened to that hallway was not your fault so there is no need to apologize. Now, calm down and tell me when hurts."

"My wrist, sir," he said, still looking pale.

Severus gently took the wrist that the boy had been holding to his chest and winced as Harry let out a long hiss.

"Stay still," he said as he murmured the spell to heal it. Harry sighed a breath of relief as soon as Severus had finished.

"Now let me see you ankle."

Severus came around the desk and folded up Harry's pant leg and took off his sock and shoe. He examined the entire foot before he healed the ankle. He gave the boy back his shoe and went back to sit at his desk.

"Here is some salve for your face," he said, handing Harry the jar. "Put it on before you go to bed and when you wake up in the morning and you should be fine."

"Thank you, sir."

"I think you should show me where all of this occurred and we can find those boys. The rest of you are dismissed."

His statement was met with various protests as Severus had predicted but he needed to get this all sorted out and the others hadn't been there. Besides, Harry didn't look as if he was seriously harmed but it wouldn't hurt to have a one on one talk with the boy either.

"I am not fighting with you. Mr. Potter will join you once we are done."

He ushered the first years out of his office and had Harry begin to lead him to the place where he had been attacked.

"Here Mr. Potter," Snape said, pulling a potion from his pocket. "I'm sorry I forgot."

Harry took the phial and inspected it. "What is it, sir?"

"For any pain you still have," he said gesturing for the boy to just take it.

"Thank you," Harry replied, sounding surprised as they continued on their way deeper into the dungeons.

To be continued...
A Visit to the Headmaster by mkm246

Severus could barely stifle a gasp when he saw the damage done to the corridor. Harry hadn't been exaggerating when he said that it had completely collapsed. He could barely see the other end from the piles of rocks that had fallen from the ceiling. The curse that had caused this would have killed Harry on impact if it had met its intended target.

He looked back at the boy who still looked shaken up. Maybe it was wrong to bring Harry with him while he tried to find the boys who had done this but Harry deserved to see justice served. He needed to know that his safety was a top priority at Hogwarts.

"Help! Someone, anyone!" Severus could hear a cry coming from beneath the rubble. He looked back at Harry to see that he had heard the cry, too.

"Stand back," Severus told him before he began to levitate the rocks one by one to clear way for the boys to get out.

"Professor! Thank Merlin!" came the loud cries.

Severus watched as the three boys helped dig their way through the rubble. It was Donovan, Mitchells, and O'Connell. All were from pureblood families but none from death eater homes. They all had relatively difficult upbringings but none of them had been physically abused. What was their motive for attacking Harry the way they did?

"I would not be thanking me yet," he said, not even trying to restrain his anger. "What exactly happened here?"

All three of the boys had made their way out and while they all looked ashen, but not a mark was on any of them.

"Sir, I can…" Donovan started but Severus held up his hand to stop him.

"You can explain in the headmaster's office," he said.

He turned around and observed that Harry was now trembling slightly.

"Come now, Mr. Potter," Severus whispered to reassure him. He took the boy's shoulder and led him to Dumbledore's office while the others trailed behind them.

The gargoyle didn't even ask for a password and just jumped aside when they approached as if he had been expecting them.

"Ah, boys, now what do I owe the pleasure?" Dumbledore asked upon seeing Harry and Severus enter. His smile quickly disappeared as he took note of the bruise on Harry's face and the three boys following them in, all wearing the same guilty expression.

"It seems that Mr. Potter has been attacked," Severus informed the man.

Dumbledore ushered the boy to sit in the chair and had Harry tell him what happened. Severus watched his sixth years as the boy told them what happened and wasn't surprised to see that none of them seemed remorseful.

"Do you three have anything to say for yourselves?" he asked once Harry had finished talking.

"Sir," Mitchells said. "We didn't even really hurt him. Besides you know what he did to You-Know-Who and now he's hanging around mudbloods! He is a disgrace to Slytherin."

Severus was across the room and in all three of the boys' faces in an instant. "Didn't even really hurt him? If that curse you sent hadn't missed it would have broken nearly all of the boy's bones in the upper half of his body! He would have died instantly. You call him a disgrace to Slytherin while you attack and nearly kill one of your own. You broke the most important rule of Slytherin today and now I cannot even bear to look at any of you."

All three of the boys looked shell shocked, as if they couldn't believe what their head of house was saying to them. Severus knew that they had thought he would stand up for them no matter what but they were sorely mistaken. Yes, he did have a personal relationship with all of his Slytherins and in almost any other circumstance he would be defending them but what they did was inexcusable and he would never have expected it from them.

Severus exchanged a long look with Dumbledore and contemplated whether or not to send Harry to his dorm or to let him stay to see what happened to his attackers. Veritaserum would have to be the next step. Harry had already been assaulted with the cursed letter and they needed to know if these boys had been involved. After that they would need to expel the boys and decide if they would press charges.

"Mr. Potter," he called, turning around. "Do you want to remain here or return to your dorm?"

"I'll stay, sir," he practically whispered. "If that's alright with you?"

Severus nodded and pulled out the clear potion. Dumbledore got up, walked around his desk, and conjured three chairs.

"Sit!" Severus ordered and was pleased when all three immediately sat down the chairs.

"Severus, if you would," Dumbledore asked in a tone that Severus rarely heard from the man.

He went up to each boy and deposited three drops on each of their tongues.

After waiting a moment Dumbledore asked, "What are your names?"

The boys all answered correctly so Severus asked the next question.

"What spell did you attempt to use on Mr. Potter?"

"Confringo," came the monotone response from Donovan.

"Have you planned to attack or attacked Mr. Potter at any time before today?" Dumbledore asked.

"No, sir," Mitchells answered this time. "We only attacked him because the opportunity arose. It was completely spur of the moment. We were angry with him since last night though."

Dumbledore continued to interrogate the boys and Severus walked back over to Harry. He once again squeezed his shoulder reassuringly. Harry looked up at him with an unreadable expression on his face.

"That is enough," Dumbledore announced after he had gathered a sufficient amount of information. "You are all hereby expelled from Hogwarts and will be forced to surrender your wands at this time. You will spend the night in the infirmary, tomorrow your parents will be notified, and you will take the train from Hogsmeade. I must say that I am disappointed in all of you and I expected better."

Severus produced the antidote from his pocket and gave it to each of the boys. He refused to even truly look at them and had no regrets as Dumbledore led the boys through the floo to the infirmary.

"Is it true, sir? Are they really leaving Hogwarts?" Harry asked.

Severus nodded, "Did you really expect differently?"

Harry just shrugged and Severus cursed those muggles in his head once again. The boy had no sense of self worth at all if he didn't think attempted murder was a good enough reason to be expelled.

"Sir?" Harry asked, "if they didn't send that letter then who did?"

"I am not sure," Severus admitted. "But trust me when I say I fully intend on finding out. Until we have found the perpetrator I will ask that you do not go anywhere alone."

"Yes, sir." Harry answered.

"Lets get you back to your dorm now," Severus told him. "I am sure there are a few Slytherin first years who want to have a word with you."

Harry nodded and let Severus guild him back down to the dungeons.

SHSHSHSHSH

Harry was surprised at the events that had taken place ever since he had entered Snape's office but he was truly baffled when those sixth years had been expelled. Maybe Snape wasn't so bad; he obviously cared if he was hurt. He not only healed him and had given him a salve for his bruises but he had made sure that the students had hurt him were removed from the school even though they were Slytherins.

He felt a strange sense of deja vu when he entered the common room and was instantly flocked by concerned first years.

"Oh Harry," Pansy cried. "Are you truly alright?"

"Those sixth years better have been expelled!" Draco exclaimed.

"If they weren't they surly won't be happy here anymore," Blaise added.

"I'm fine guys and yeah they were expelled," Harry told them. "But why wouldn't they have been happy to be staying at Hogwarts?"

"You don't think the others would condone what they did to you, do you?" Theo asked. "They broke rule one."

Harry looked around the common room and was shocked to see that not only had the room gone silent when he arrived but now everyone was nodding in agreement to Theo's statement.

"House is family, Potter," Jackson, a fifth year added. "We don't tolerate it when others attack our family."

Once again, everyone in the common room nodded in agreement. Harry was speechless; he couldn't believe that all these people would stand up for him.

"We do need to talk though," Draco said. "Lets go to our dorm."

All the first years had settled into the boys dorm before Blaise spoke.

"Look, Harry," he started, "we've had time to think about it and we still don't like you hanging around Granger. She's bad news for you!"

"While I appreciate the concern I can choose my own friends. I like you guys, I really do but I'm not going to ditch Hermione," Harry replied, trying not to get upset.

"Look," Draco cut in, "we'll ignore it for now, okay? Just keep her away from us."

Harry felt torn but he realized this was as probably the best solution for now.

"Okay," he conceded.

"You've got to stop going off on your own," Theo said after a moment of silence. "Its obviously not safe in this school."

"Yeah, Snape already told me not to go anywhere on my own. They didn't send that letter so someone else still wants to do me in," Harry agreed.

They all gave Harry a serious look.

"You aren't to leave the common room without at lease two of us, okay?" Draco asked.

"Yeah that's fine," he replied.

"Well I really need to finish up my homework," Blaise said. "Come on, lets go back downstairs."

Harry stayed on his bed as everyone else headed out the door. It had been a long, hard day and he needed some time alone to collect his thoughts. He had his friends back and while that was a relief it wasn't enough to keep him from worrying about the cursed letter. It was obvious that someone else wanted him dead, but who was it?


To be continued...
A Piece of the Puzzle by mkm246

Harry had spent the night tossing and turning and it felt as if he had only just dozed off when Draco was shaking him awake. He wished he had a chance of getting away with skiving off class for the day but Harry knew it would just be more trouble than it was worth. He couldn't exactly fake sick when all Madame Pomfrey had to do was wave her wand around a couple of times and would instantly know he was lying.

He groaned as he crawled out from under his covers and was hit with the cold air of the dungeons. He dressed quickly when he realized that everyone else was already all set and were heading down to the common room. He could just skip breakfast but then he would be walking to class alone and after yesterday's incident he didn't need anymore trouble. Besides, Snape would not be happy when he realized that Harry had never shown for a meal. He grabbed his nutrient potions and stuck them into his bag before running down the stairs to catch up with the others.

Halfway through breakfast owls came flying into the hall as usual. Harry barely glanced up form his plate while the others began tearing open packages from home. He was surprised when a brown school owl swooped down and delivered a letter directly in front of his plate.

He wasn't draft enough to reach for the letter as he had done the first time he had gotten mail and instead he automatically turned to the head table. Snape was already out of his seat and walking towards him.

"Do you think that one is cursed?" Draco asked, not looking up from the brown envelope.

"No idea," Harry replied. It didn't look like it would do him any harm, but neither had the other one he supposed. His name was written in tiny, neat letters across the front.

As Snape approached him from behind and the Slytherin table quickly quieted down while rest of the hall didn't seem to notice that anything out of the ordinary was happening at all. .

"Mr. Potter," the man greeted.

"Sir," he acknowledged.

"If I may?" Snape gestured to the letter.

"Of course," Harry answered, leaning back so the professor could get a closer look.

The slytherins watched as the man began muttering a series of spells, none of them having any effect on the envelope. Harry was just starting to think the letter must be fine when it erupted into purple flames. Wide eyed, Harry looked over to Draco, and then the other first years, all of them wearing the same stunned expression.

The Great Hall Grew silent as Snape vanished the remains of the letter. Harry could see Snape lock eyes with Dumbledore and he swore that they seemed to be talking without using words.

After what seemed like forever, Snape looked back down at him.

"What class do you have first?" he asked.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts, sir," Harry replied, staring back at the spot where his letter had been just a moment ago.

"Come with me," Snape said, snapping Harry out of his trace.

Harry looked up at Snape searchingly. The man didn't seem like the type to condone skipping class, but Harry thought better of questioning him. Besides, he still had a little while before class even started. He just bent down to grab his backpack before following the man out of the Great Hall.

After walking down to the dungeons in silence, they arrived in front of Snape's office. The man gestured for Harry to go in so he flopped down into the chair.

Snape walked around to his side of the desk and began to rummage through the draws. Harry could feel himself begin to fidget as his head of house continued his search. Finally, he gave up and met Harry's eye.

"Mr. Potter," Snape began, "I must insist that you do not open any mail, even if you believe you know the sender. If you receive any mail you are not to touch it. Am I understood?"

"Yes, sir," Harry replied quickly.

"You are to come to me immediately or find the closest prefect," the man continued. "If you are near another professor you may go to them also."

Snape paused after he said this. "Have you had any trouble with any of your professors? Do any of them make you feel uncomfortable?"

Harry quickly shook his head. "Oh no, sir. I like it here a lot."

"I didn't ask if you were enjoying your time here, although with everything that has already happened I am surprised that you seem to still be this enthusiastic about your time at Hogwarts," Snape drawled.

Harry could feel himself blush. "Sorry, sir," he muttered. Harry began to inspect his hands when he heard Snape sigh.

"Mr. Potter," Snape said, "Just answer my original question. Do you have problems with any of your professors?"

"No, sir," Harry answered automatically.

"Are you positive?" Snape prompted.

Harry hesitated, his mind instantly going to Quirrell. Even though the man had never done anything, he just couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right with that guy. Besides that, Harry had only been to a couple of his classes and he hadn't even had enough time to judge him.

"Mr. Potter?" Snape cleared his throat. "Harry, you can tell me anything that's bothering you."

Harry locked eyes with Snape when the professor had called him by his first name.

"Well you see," Harry started, "I just, well he hasn't really done anything. He just that he gives off a bad vibe, you know? Plus he is always staring at me!"

"Who?" Snape asked dangerously. The man had the same look on his face he had worn when he was dealing with the sixth years that attacked Harry.

"Professor Quirrell, sir," Harry replied, "but he really hasn't even done anything!"

Snape closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, "Mr. Potter, if Professor Quirrell ever asks you to stay after class or assigns you detention you are to come straight to me. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir." Harry nodded. He wasn't sure why Snape was taking his suspicious so seriously but he wasn't about to complain; it wasn't often that anyone really listened to him.

"Come now," Snape said, getting up from his chair. "I will walk you to your class. Just remember what I told you, alright?"

Harry nodded and followed the man out the door.

SHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSH

Throughout defense Draco and Theo had both been trying to find out what Snape had wanted to talk about. Considering exactly what, or rather who, they had talked about Harry had the good sense to ignore them and try and concentrate on the lecture. But he just couldn't pay attention. He wasn't sure if he was just being paranoid because he had just confessed his fears to Snape, but he could swear that Quirrell was looking over to him more than usual. On top of that, his head ached and it seemed to be getting worse by the minute.

Class couldn't have ended fast enough and as soon as Quirrell had dismissed them, he bolted from the door.

"Harry! Wait up!" Draco called. Harry stopped and turned around to see Draco and Theo running to him.

"You alright, mate?" Theo asked as he got closer.

"Yeah," Harry assured him. "I'm fine."

Theo didn't look convinced but he didn't push the issue either. "Well let's go. We a half hour before Charms and I know where we can go to talk."

Harry nodded and followed Theo's lead up the staircase. Draco looked as if he might argue but kept his mouth shut took off up the stairs after them.

They stopped in front of a wall and were standing there for about a minute before Draco asked, "Where are you taking us?"

Theo just shushed him and Harry was amazed as a door appeared in front of them.

"Wow," Draco said in awe as they stepped into the room. "I had heard rumors of course but I never…"

The room wasn't very large but it was roomy. It had two couches and three chairs all around a small table. Beyond the table a fire roared.

"It's called the Room of Requirement," Theo explained. "I had heard of it before but I overheard a couple of fifth years talking about this place and one of them was explain to the other exactly where it was. Rather stupid of them actually."

"Yeah," Draco added, "I've heard all about this room. It can be whatever you want it to be."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked as he was examining the room.

"Well right now we just need somewhere to talk, but lets say I really wanted to fly. If I thought about flying when I opened the door the room would become a quidditch pitch, equipped with brooms and everything!" Draco said, becoming more excited as he talked.

"Yes," Theo agreed, "but remember about why we are here right now."

Draco nodded, "Yeah Harry, tell us what happened with Snape."

Harry went over to the couch and stared into the flames. He took a deep breath before telling his friends everything. He told them about his feelings on Quirrell and the warning he got from Snape. He even informed them about how Quirrell was staring at him throughout the class and how his headache had only gotten worse before he exited the classroom.

"Actually," Harry added, "my head doesn't really hurt anymore."

Theo and Draco exchanged a serious look.

"Did your head hurt in any place in particular? Like the front or did it just throb?" Theo asked.

"Well," Harry mused, "now that I think about it did seem to hurt right here." He rubbed the spot on his forehead that had been bothering him in particular.

Both of the boys seemed to lose their color.

"But Harry," Draco croaked, "that's your scar."

"Wh-what?" Harry asked. He rubbed the spot again and sure enough he could feel the dip of skin where his scar was.

"We've got to tell Professor Snape!" Theo exclaimed, grabbing Harry's arm.

"No," Harry insisted. "We have to get to class before we're late. Besides Snape is teaching right now and I'm sure he doesn't want to be interrupted."

Draco looked down to his watch and exclaimed, "We already are late!"

The boys all grabbed their things before rushing to class, Quirrell already moving to the back of their minds.


To be continued...
A Midnight Stroll by mkm246

Severus watched as Harry fled the room. Their meeting had actually gone rather smoothly. Hell, Harry had even spoken of his fears of Quirrell. It couldn't be a coincidence that Severus himself found the man to be acting oddly. Quirrell had been a completely different man ever since his return to the school. Now the fool acted as if he was afraid of his own shadow.

He had spoken Dumbledore about his suspicions. He had a gut feeling that something was off as soon as he had seen Quirrell at the first staff meeting of the year. The headmaster had blown him off only saying that Quirrell had faced hardships that would change any man during his travels. It was one of the many things that Severus had complained of that Dumbledore had just not taken seriously.

Now what was Quirrell up too? At first Severus had only thought that the man might be after the stone but now he also believed that the man might be trying to kill the boy-who-lived. The only question in his mind was why? Quirrell had never been interested with learning the dark arts and had never been associated with the Dark Lord in the past.

Someone in the school had now sent multiple cursed letters to Harry and it was plausible that Quirrell had been behind them. There wasn't enough evidence though and that would prove to be a problem. Severus would need to keep a close eye on the stuttering man.

SHSHSHSHSH

Harry was very busy the next few weeks with all of his schoolwork and finding ways to meet up with Hermione without getting the others upset with him. With Snape was always pulling him aside for meetings and his friends taking their body guard position very seriously he had barely gotten a chance to even wave to Hermione.

He had a plan though. Harry had sent a note to Hermione using Hedwig and she had agreed to meeting up with him anytime besides after curfew. It had taken some convincing but he had finally gotten her to agree to a midnight meeting. They were going to wait until everyone was asleep and meet halfway between their common rooms. It wasn't the ideal plan but Harry needed to catch Hermione up. He knew that she loved to read and he wanted her help in researching his own history. He needed to try and figure out if Quirrell could really be the one behind the attacks and while he knew his friends would love to help they didn't have the skill Hermione had with books.

The major problem they would have would be Snape. His professor had been taking his safety very seriously and would be beyond angry if he found Harry wandering the corridors alone in the middle of the night. An entirely different problem would be that if he was caught his Slytherin friends might not forgive him. He knew they all had good intentions but besides the fact that he needed Hermione's help he also was aware of her own house's treatment of her had only gotten worse as time went by.

He checked his watch and saw that he only had ten minutes before he was due to be at the designated the meeting spot. Harry figured it would be safe to take her to the Room of Requirement and they could talk there. If he was lucky he might even get the room to turn into a library.

He closed his eyes and listened to the other boys in the dorm. They all appeared to be snoring away so he gently pushed his comforter off and left the room without closing the door all the way. The common room and corridors was completely deserted so he easily made his way to meet Hermione.

When he caught sight of her she looked as if she might call out to him so his put a figure over his mouth and shook his head. She nodded in understanding and followed his lead up the stairs to the Room of Requirement.

As soon as Harry closed the door behind him he plopped down into the nearest chair. The room hadn't taken the shape of a library, instead becoming the same room Theo took him to.

"What is this place?" Hermione whispered.

"Theo and Draco call it the Room of Requirement. You don't need to whisper no one can hear us," Harry explained.

"Are you planning to tell me why we had to meet now instead of just continuing to send letters? I mean if we got caught do you know how much trouble we could be in?"

"Yes I do and don't worry it is important," Harry said before informing her of his suspicions of his defense professor.

"Harry that's terrible!" Hermione had exclaimed. "I know Snape said to be on your guard and everything but do you truly believe that a professor would be trying to hurt you?"

"I'm not sure," Harry admitted. "But every now and then when I'm in class I get pains in my scar. Not as bad as that one day but still."

"I don't exactly know how you want me to help though? You said you wanted me to research you but what does that have to do with Professor Quirrell?" Hermione asked.

"Well," Harry started. "I don't know even know my own background as other people do and I know that by basically killing Voldemort I made some serious enemies. I just want to see if he is connected to me."

Hermione nodded and Harry continued, "Look it's getting really late and we should probably head back. Just help me research and if you find anything send me a letter telling me when to meet you."

"Okay," Hermione yawned. "I'll start tomorrow but no more of these night meetings. We'll have to find another way to keep each other updated."

Harry agreed and they walked out of the room and down the hall in silence. They had just turned the corner why Harry collided with another person. Harry fell back and when he looked up to see who it was he knew he was in for it.

McGonagall stood in front of them and she looked murderous. He glanced over to Hermione and saw that she had gone completely white. Looking back at the professor Harry wished it had been Snape who found him. He was fairly certain now that Snape really wouldn't hurt him but McGonagall was a whole other story. She was strict and had no love for the Slytherin house. She had never been mean to Harry in particular but she hadn't gone out of her way to be nice either.

He had heard that some boarding schools allowed caning and was really hoping that Hogwarts wasn't one of them. Sure, the transfiguration professor was old but she had magic on her side. As these thoughts swirled around his head the more lost in a panic he became.

He knew that someone was calling his name but he was finding it hard to breathe. His chest began to hurt and he wondered if he was having a heart attack. The harder he tried to breathe the more difficult it became. He kept his eyes closed and tried his best to focus on just taking a breath.

"Harry," a voice called. He couldn't respond though. Hands gripped his shoulders. "Harry listen to me. Open your eyes, okay? You're safe. You are at Hogwarts."

Harry would know that voice anywhere. He opened his eyes and found himself staring Snape right in the face.

"That's it," He told him. "Take deep breaths now."

Harry did as he was told and slowly began to regain his composure. He glanced up to see McGonagall a few feet away not seeming angry any longer. Hermione was on her side trying to get a look at him around Snape.

Keeping his hands on Harry's shoulders, Snape turned around gave McGonagall a nod. She gazed at Harry for a moment before taking a protesting Hermione back toward the Gryffindor common room.

"Are you okay?" Snape prompted. At Harry's nod, he helped the boy to a standing position. He didn't ask any more questions, just guided the boy back down to the dungeons.

Harry was confused by Snape's silence. Surely the man was furious with him and yet he seemed bizarrely calm.

"Sir?" he asked.

"Hush," Snape commanded. "We will discuss this in a moment."

Harry didn't speak another word the rest of the way. He was puzzled when they walked past Snape's office and stopped at an empty portrait. Snape opened it with a wave of his hand and motioned for Harry to follow.

Harry let his jaw drop when they walked into what had to be Snape's person quarters. They had walked into a living room full of warm colors. There was a couch and two grand armchairs that surrounded a small coffee table.

"Sit," Snape said.

Harry did as he was told and took a seat on the couch. It was even more comfortable than it looked he noticed as he leaned into the cushions.

"Now," Snape practically purred, "tell me exactly what you were doing when McGonagall found you."

"I was going back to the common room, sir." Harry admitted.

"What were you doing before that?"

"Talking with Hermione. I needed to tell her something." Harry tried defending himself but he knew it was a lost cause. Snape might be able to try and control his anger but he couldn't hide it.

His professor gave him a long look before summoning a tray from the kitchen. Two steaming mugs landed on the coffee table in front of them.

"Sir?" Harry questioned.

"Drink some hot coco," Snape said simply. "You're still shaking."

Looking down at his hands, Harry could see that the man wasn't lying. He took a mug after Snape had sat and taken his own. Taking a long sip he waited for Snape to continue.

"What sent you into a panic attack?" Snape asked.

"I didn't know what Professor McGonagall was going to do to me." Harry practically whispered as he remembered how terrified he had been. "You won't let her cane me will you?"

"Of course not," his head of house reassured him. "No professor in this school practices caning and if anyone, that includes your professors, tries to hurt you what have I already told you to do?"

"Come to you," Harry replied. "But what if I couldn't get away?"

Snape sighed before saying, "All of the professors know that if they touched a hair on any of my Slytherins' heads they would answer to me. I can assure you that Professor McGonagall would never want to hurt you."

"What about professor Quirrell?" he asked.

"I have already told you to never be alone with the man so he should not be a problem." Snape countered. "Has anything else happened?"

"No, sir," the boy answered but then thought of all the pains he had gotten in his scar. "Except sometimes when I'm in his class my scar hurts."

Snape paused. "What do you mean?"

"It prickles sometimes but usually it's a sharp pain." Harry said as he absent-mindedly rubbed the spot.

"This only happens in Professor Quirrell's class?"

"Uh-huh," Harry verified. At that moment a loud ringing started going off.

"Stay here," Snape said. He put his mug down and started towards the door. "Someone needs me in my office but I will be right back. We still have much to discuss. Don't think I have forgotten about your little escapade."

 

 

 

To be continued...
Tested Friendships by mkm246

Severus was surprised to see Minerva at his office door rather than one of his Slytherins. He had expected a floo call later, but she should know that he would still be with the boy.

"Severus," she greeted as he let her into the office.

"Minerva," he acknowledged. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"You know why I came here. I want to know what is wrong with the boy," she said. "I have had him in class for over a month and have never seen him react like that."

Severus sighed. He really didn't want to have this conversation right now. Minerva had been so ecstatic about Harry coming to Hogwarts; she had been so sure he would follow his parents into Gryffindor. He had known the women for a while and while in the past resented her, he now considered Minerva to be one of his closest confidants. Telling her of the boy's home life wouldn't be pleasant.

"I never took your complaints of the muggles seriously." He watched as she narrowed her eyes.

"What exactly are you saying?" She asked.

"Only that you were right to be weary of them. Potter's family has no love for him." Severus didn't want to get into the details so he only said, "Potter had to stay overnight in the infirmary after the welcoming feast."

"They hurt him?" She cried out. "They really, truly hurt him?"

Severus could only nod. He couldn't bring himself to even look at her after all the times he had just scoffed over any worry that she had about Harry's home life. How different would the boy be if they had only gone to check on him? He thought of Dumbledore's knowledge of Potter's troubles and his lack of intervention.

"Albus can't be allowed have any say in Potter's life." He said, these thoughts circling in his head.

"You're not telling me he knew?" Minerva asked, anger now radiating from her. "Are you?"

"I'm not completely sure to what extent," Severus told her, "but he wasn't surprised when I informed him of results of Poppy's tests."

Minerva looked ready to punch something and he couldn't recall a time she had looked this infuriated. Severus certainly wouldn't fancy being Albus at this very moment.

"Potter won't be going back there." She said, leaving no room for argument.

"I've already gotten Albus to agree to that. The only problem is finding a suitable guardian for the boy."

Minerva gave him a long look. "I'm sure we will find someone," she said before starting towards the door. "I assigned Ms. Granger a detention for this Tuesday night and Harry is more than welcome to join her."

Severus nodded and bid her goodnight before extinguishing all the lights and walking back to his quarters. He checked his watched and sighed. He had spent more time talking with Minerva than he thought and it would probably be best to just send Harry to bed and talk with him in the morning.

Upon entering his rooms, the first thing he noticed was Harry sprawled out across his couch. He still had his glasses on but was obviously fast asleep. Severus took note of his slight shivering and went to the cupboard to grab a blanket. He took off the boy's glasses and threw the blanket over him, tucking it around the boy so it wouldn't fall off.

Severus studied him for a moment. He looked so much younger when he was sleeping, as if he was just a young child. He shook his head and noxed the lights before heading to his own bed.

SHSHSH

When Harry first woke the next day he wasn't sure where he was. He opened his eyes and groaned as he remembered everything that had happened the night before. He didn't think there could be anything more embarrassing than having a panic attack in front of a girl. Hermione must think he's such a wimp.

As he stretched, another thought dawned on him. He had fallen asleep in his professor's quarters and now his friends were sure to miss him. Besides that, Snape still hadn't talked to him about punishment. His stomach was in knots by just thinking about it.

He heard someone moving around in the other room so he called out, "Professor?"

Snape walked into the living room and gave him a once over. "Bathroom is the third door to your right. You'll find fresh robes and a toothbrush on the counter. As soon as you are ready come meet me in the kitchen."

Walking to the bathroom, Harry thought about the strangeness of being in Snape's quarters. They were completely normal and he snorted at what his friends would think of them. Surely no one would believe that a man so into Slytherin wouldn't have his rooms decked out in green and silver.

He got ready quickly and was walking towards the kitchen sooner than he would have liked. He still didn't have an excuse for Snape but didn't want the man to become angry because he had to wait all day for Harry to get ready.

"I trust you slept well," Snape said with a smirk.

"Yes, sir," Harry replied. "I'm sorry for falling asleep. You could have woken me, you know."

"Yes, well, you had already been up half the night wandering around the castle. I figured you could use a few hours of sleep." Severus said, placing two plates down on the table. "Now eat before it gets cold."

"Yes, sir." Harry replied.

They both sat down and Harry waited for Snape to take a bite before picking up a forkful of eggs to put into his mouth. He could feel his professor's eyes on him but the gaze didn't worry him as it had at the beginning of term. After all of their talks he knew that Snape had no intention of hurting him. He didn't know why but the man seemed to care about him as much as his other students.

"Do you want to try again to explain why you thought it would be a good idea to gallivant around the castle in the middle of the night?" Severus asked, bringing Harry out of his thoughts.

"I already told you," Harry tried to explain. "I needed to talk to Hermione."

"Yes," Severus responded, "You did say that, but I was wondering what was so important that it couldn't wait until an appropriate time."

"I wanted to tell her about Professor Quirrell, sir," Harry told him. "I just can never get a chance to talk to her during the day."

"Harry," Severus sighed, "You can't just go off in the middle of the night; you know of the dangers. If you want to talk to Ms. Granger without troubling your friends I'm sure you can meet sometime during the day."

Harry felt as if Snape was reading his mind. How had the man known that his friends didn't approve of Hermione?

"Mr. Potter," Severus brought his attention back to the conversation at hand. "I am aware of the prejudices that Slytherins have against others just as I am aware of the prejudices people have about us. Your friends will come around in time but you shouldn't risk your life just because you don't want to upset those around you."

"I know," Harry mumbled.

"You don't need worry about not being able to see Ms. Granger as you two will be serving detention together with Professor McGonagall on Tuesday evening." Severus declared. "Besides that, I want a three foot essay on the dangers you face while in the castle. You need to think about these things especially before you decide to do something like going off on your own."

"Yes, sir," Harry said as he let out a breath of relief. Well, at least that was one less thing to worry about. A detention and an essay weren't terrible considering he had expected much worse. He deserved it anyway, it was pretty dumb to think that meeting up with Hermione the way he did would be a good idea.

"Come now, I'll walk you to the common room so you can get started on that essay."

SHSHSH

"Harry," Draco called out when he saw him, "you already went for breakfast?"

"Something like that," Harry replied. He didn't want to lie to his friend but he knew that if he told him everything that happened Draco would not take it well. "I fell asleep on Snape's couch and had breakfast there."

"What?" Draco exclaimed. "The professor let you into his personal quarters? I thought you were in your own bed last night!"

"Err, it's a long story," Harry said, rubbing his scar. He knew he was being purposefully misleading but couldn't see a better solution.

Draco looked from his scar to his face before saying; "Alright then, if it was anything serious you would tell me right?"

"Of course," Harry reassured him.

"Harry!" Theo called as he came down the stairs. "You're up early."

"Yeah... Well…" Harry shrugged.

"Are you excited for tonight?" Theo asked.

"What's tonight?" He asked.

"What's tonight?" Theo exclaimed. "It's the Halloween Feast!"

"Oh yeah," Harry replied. He remembered everyone talking about the holiday the other day. He had never been much of a fan of Halloween and now that he knew it was the date of his parent's death he didn't see much reason to celebrate.

"Why so glum?" Draco asked. "I mean its one of the best nights of the year! Just think of all the sweets."

Harry looked up and said, "I just don't find it to be that great of a day, okay?"

"Chill out," Draco said. "I didn't mean to make you all mad. I mean who doesn't like Halloween?"

"I don't," Harry snapped. Sometimes Draco could be so draft sometimes. The boy couldn't wrap his head around the idea that something he finds enjoyable someone else might hate.

"Come on," Theo said, grabbing Harry's arm. "Let's go for a walk."

Seeing the pink splotches growing on Draco's cheeks, Harry nodded and let himself be led out the door by Theo.

"What was that all about?" Theo asked.

"My parents died on Halloween," Harry snapped. "I'm sorry that I don't find that to be a reason to be gorging myself on sweets all night."

"Oh Harry." Theo tried to grab his shoulder but he shrugged him off.

"Look, I never knew them but they died for me, alright? I just can't disrespect them by pretending they never existed." Harry stopped walking and turned to face Theo. "I know what you all think of my parents, especially my mother. I'm not an idiot."

Theo leaned back against the wall and slid down into a sitting position. Harry followed suit and they sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Blood matters," Theo tried to explain, "but it's not everything."

"Sometimes it seems like it's the only thing that does to all of you. Even listening to the way you guys talk about muggleborns and muggles ticks me off. Just because you are born to someone without magic doesn't mean you are any less a person." Harry's voice rose as he talked. "You don't know what it's like to be hated just because of who your parents were! To be discriminated against for no other reason than your blood is one of the worst feelings in the entire world."

Harry sprang up and started down the corridor. He heard Theo coming after him so he broke into a run. He knew he shouldn't be going off alone but on a rainy Saturday like this one the halls were crowded.

He dodged around a group of Hufflepuffs and sprinted the rest of the way to the library. He knew Hermione would be there and she was the only person he wanted to talk to at that moment.

He walked to the back and took a deep breath before taking the seat next to her.

"Hey," he said.

"Harry!" She exclaimed as she looked up from her book. "Are you alright? I mean last night..."

"I'm fine," he assured her. "I just lost my head for a minute. Snape calmed me down though. We talked about everything afterwards and he was pretty decent about it actually. I just have to write an essay and go to detention with you on Tuesday."

"Professor McGonagall assigned the detention and she took points," she told him. "But something else is still upsetting you, Harry. What is it?"

Harry told her about his fight with Draco and Theo. "I just don't understand how they can judge people without even knowing them."

"Me either," Hermione said with unshed tears in her eyes. "Me either.

SHSHSH

A knock on his office door distracted Severus from the essays he was grading.

"Come in," he called.

Theodore Nott walked through the door looking troubled.

"Sit down," Severus said, pushing aside the paperwork coving his desk. "Is everything all right?"

"I'm not sure," Theodore said. "It's about Harry."

"Mr. Potter?" Severus questioned. He had only let the boy go this morning; how could he have already found trouble?

"Yes, sir," the boy said. "We had a fight and then he ran off. I followed him to the library but he was with Granger so I just left."

"What did you fight about?" The man probed.

"It started off about Halloween. Draco was being a prat and kept talking about the feast even when it was obvious Harry didn't want to hear about it. Then we went for a walk and he started going off about his parents dying and how we are always putting mudbloods down."

"I don't want to ever hear you say that word again," Severus growled before reining his temper in. He had known it would only be a matter of time before Harry started to stand up for what he believed in. "What do you think of what he said?"

"I don't know. He got so upset so fast, it just doesn't seem right. I know he was mad because we insulted his mum, but it was more than that. He said something about being hated because of who his parents were. I know things aren't right with his family, sir, but how bad is it?"

Severus ran a hand through his hair. "I can't really discuss that with you, Mr. Nott. I'm sure he will tell you about his home life when he is ready."

The boy looked as if he would argue but thought better of it. "Do you think he has a point, though? I mean about mud- I mean muggleborns?"

Severus thought about the role he had to play. Like it or not he was a spy and he should to protect his image as a Death Eater in front of a boy whose father followed the Dark Lord. On the other hand, this could be a chance to save the boy from making the same mistakes he had when he was young. There wasn't really a choice to be made.

"I think you should take what your friend said very seriously. Think about all the times you have been put down just because of your parents, of your friends, and of your house. Do any of these things make you evil? Of course not, but people may judge you as such because of them." Severus watched as understanding came over the boy's face.

Theodore got up from his seat. "Thank you for speaking with me, sir."

"Anytime, Mr. Nott," Severus replied and waited until the boy was on his way before he got up from his own chair to go and find Harry.

SHSHSH

It didn't take the potions master long to find the boy because Harry was still in the library. He stood, watching him interact with Granger and felt a pang in his chest. He had so much of Lily in him, even the way he was talking with the girl reminded him of his old friend on a rant when she was talking about something close to her heart.

"Mr. Potter," Severus said, letting his presence be known. "I was wondering if I could have a word."

Harry looked up, seemly surprised to see his professor in the library. "Yes, sir." The boy got up and followed him to another table nearby.

"I've just spoken with Mr. Nott," Severus started but the look of outrage of Harry's face kept him from continuing on his original train of thought. "He was worried about you."

That one statement caused an array of emotions to go across the boy's face before it went completely blank. "Why? I'm fine." Harry replied, trying to sound indifferent.

"Yes, well," Severus said, "he didn't seem to think so. He took what you said seriously and perhaps is starting to change his views."

Harry shrugged. "I don't think he will ever change."

"I think you should give your friends time. They have grown up their entire lives hearing that muggles and muggleborns are inferior to them. They can't just shift their views overnight."

"I suppose," Harry replied.

They sat in silence for a few minutes before Severus switched to a new topic. "I heard that you don't wish to attend the feast tonight."

"No, sir," Harry whispered.

"You are welcome to come to my quarters for dinner then, if you haven't already made arrangements." Severus said. "I don't think I've told you this before but I was quite close with your mother at one time."

Harry's eyes lit up. "Really, sir? You knew her?"

"I just said as much," Severus drawled. "Did I not?"

"Do you think you could tell me about her?" He asked. "I mean over dinner?"

"Yes," Severus replied. "I believe that would be acceptable. I'll come and collect you from the Slytherin common room at the start of the feast."

"Thank you!" Harry exclaimed.

"I'll see you for dinner, then." He said, taking his leave. Harry had come a long way and while the man knew that he still had a long way to go it was good to see him opening up, not only to Severus himself but also to his friends.


To be continued...
More Trouble? by mkm246

Harry had excitedly told Hermione about what Snape had to say. She smiled but didn’t seem to get how much it meant to Harry. He had given up on trying to learn who his parents were a long time ago, and now he was going to get to hear stories about his mother? From one of her old friends? Well, it seemed like a great thing to him.

They spent the rest of the afternoon in the library, mostly keeping to themselves. Harry had some homework to catch up on and Hermione was always starting a new project. They waited until the feast had started to leave so Harry could avoid the other Slytherins in the common room.

Harry tried to convince Hermione to just let him walk down to the dungeons by himself but she wouldn’t hear it.

“Don’t be silly, Harry.” She told him, “Its really no trouble.”

Harry had rolled his eyes but agreed. He would be happy when they could catch whoever sent him that letter. It would be nice to be able to talk a walk by himself.

They had only just left the library when Professor Quirrell came out of nowhere. 

“Mr. P-Potter,” the man stuttered. “What w-were you doing a-all the way in the l-library when you s-should be at the f-feast?”

“We lost track of time, sir.” Harry said as he tried to go around him.

“W-Well it m-must be my l-lucky day,” the professor stepped in front of him. “I-I need some old boxes moved f-from my room. W-would you be so kind a-as to help me w-with them?”

Harry exchanged a glance with Hermione. “I’m sorry, I can’t. You see I’m already late for a meeting.”

Harry tried once again to push past his professor but Quirrell put his hand on his shoulder to stop him.

“This will only take a couple of minutes.” The man argued, sounding more confident.

“At least let me go tell Professor Snape that I’m going to be late,” he protested.

“I’m sure that Severus won’t mind.” Quirrell tugged on his shoulder painfully, but Harry held his ground. He needed to think of something but before he had fully collected himself he looked Quirrell in the eye and he felt as if his head had exploded

Harry could hear himself screaming but couldn’t bring himself to stop until the pain abruptly stopped. He was horrified to see Hermione lunge at the professor.

“Hermione!” He yelled. “Stop!”

Quirrell didn’t seem fazed by the eleven year old attacking him. He flicked his wand and she dropped to the floor with a thud. 

“What did you do to her?” Harry asked. He stood, completely frozen, as he glanced from Hermione’s still form to Quirrell.

“Noting too drastic,” the man answered. “I’m sure she’ll be fine. Now come along before I have to force you.”

Harry took as step back as Quirrell came forward to grasp his shoulder again. He had no choice but to obey. He looked back at Hermione as he was practically dragged down the corridor.

 SHSHSH

Severus tapped his fingers as he checked his once for what had to be the hundredth time. What was keeping the boy? He had seemed happy, excited even, when Severus had invited him down for dinner.

He ran his hands along a tattered shoebox he had pulled out from the bottom of his trunk. Severus had taken it out to show to Harry. It wasn’t much but it held many memories from his school days, most of which included the boy’s mother.

He sighed impatiently. The feast had started a while ago, perhaps Harry had a change of heart and had decided to join his friends despite what had happened earlier this afternoon. Or, more likely, he was holed up somewhere with the Granger girl.

Either way he had to find him. He got up from the table and stashed his shoebox back into his room. As he was walking out the corridor he felt the whole hallway shake. He gripped his wand tighter in his hand and nearly jumped in surprise when he came face to face with a full-grown mountain troll.

His mind flipped through all the spells that may be useful. He was about to stun it when a flash of green hit the troll in the back of the head. Severus watched as the troll swayed and fell foreword. He was stepped back to avoid being crushed.

His mind stopped for a minute before jumping to a horrifying conclusion. He looked up from the troll and into the faces of his fellow professors.

“Severus,” McGonagall questioned, “are you alright?”

“Yes, yes.” He replied. “I’m fine. But have any of you seen Potter tonight?”

 He watched the headmaster and McGonagall exchange a look before they both shook their heads. The other professors all followed suit.

 “Where’s Quirrell?” He felt his stomach drop when no one answered him. It was bad enough there had been a loose troll in the castle but with the defense professor also missing, Potter was much more likely to be in serious trouble.

 With one last look at the troll Severus walked around it and passed the other professors up the stairs. If Potter wasn’t in the Great Hall then the next best place to look was the library. He heard the others follow him and picked up his pace.

 “Merlin,” He gasped when he came across Granger sprawled on the stone floor. Both her backpack and Harry’s backpack were in the hallway next to her.

 “Miss Granger?” He asked moving closer to her. He heard McGonagall’s sharp intake of breath when she caught up to him and saw her student laying on the floor. She pushed Severus out of her way and knelt down beside the girl.

 She murmured spell after spell but nothing seemed to wake Granger.

 “I’ll have to take her to Poppy,” She said looking directly at Severus. She glanced back down at both backpacks and he understood her unasked question.

 “Don’t worry, Minerva,” he assured her. “I’ll find him.”

 She nodded as she levitated the girl towards the infirmary. It was obvious that the troll hadn’t been the one to attack the children; the only other logical conclusion Severus could draw was that it must have been Quirrell.  

 What would attacking Potter and his friend do for Quirrell? He had his own suspicions that the man was after the stone, but what did Harry have to do with that? He knew something was off with him, and even Harry had said that he was wary of his defense professor. On top of that there was the scar issue, but he still wasn’t sure what the boy’s scar pain meant.

 Surly Quirrell wasn’t working for Voldemort? He hadn’t seemed the type even before his trip abroad. But what other explanation could there be?

“Perhaps we should check on the stone?” Dumbledore broke through Severus’ thoughts.

“What about Potter? You think he was taken to the stone?”

“I’m not sure,” the headmaster answered seriously. “But it wouldn’t hurt to look.”

 Severus nodded. “We should go down at check on it immediately,” he said motioning to Albus. “The rest of you should search the rest of the castle.”

 Severus didn’t wait for a response, just turned and made his way to the third floor corridor. 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2609