Everything To Lose by JAWorley
Summary: Severus Snape comes across a runaway… the boy-who-lived to be exact, and drags him back to his home where a struggling Harry is surprised to find Luna Lovegood. Severus had agreed to take custody of Luna at the start of the summer, but taking on the boy who lived to be a pain in his arse as well? Harry is finding out quickly that he’s got everything to lose… and everything to gain. In response to the 'multiple challenges', 'this is home', and 'father to two challenges'.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Luna, Molly, Pomfrey, Ron, Vernon
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Incognito!Harry, Injured!Harry, Runaway, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het, Suicide Themes, Violence
Prompts: This Is Home, Father to two, Multiple Challenges, Minor Canon Character
Challenges: This Is Home, Father to two, Multiple Challenges, Minor Canon Character
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 41154 Read: 180336 Published: 22 Jul 2011 Updated: 12 Aug 2011
Everything To Lose/This Is Home by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Couldn't decide on a chapter title, so you got two!

Harry was tired. He and Severus had talked well into the night, first walking around the grounds by wand light in the darkness, discussing matters of life, future, and love (which Harry still blushed at when he thought about receiving the talk from his soon to be new father), and then moving back to Severus' quarters to look over the adoption papers and discuss how this change would effect Harry. But for all the teenager in him tried to protest about having rules and bedtimes and curfews to follow, he couldn't bring himself to turn down the offer of a real family, because he knew how it would affect him. He would feel loved, and wanted, and protected, and those were three feelings he never wanted to be without again. Never.

He had stayed the night in Severus quarters, his future father... his new father helping him occlude his mind before bed, and as Harry drifted off, he wondered at how much he trusted and wanted to keep trusting this man. He'd taken pretty good care of Luna after all hadn't he? She certainly did seem happy with him. And wasn't he happy with Professor Snape as well?

It was morning now and Harry sat up from where he'd slept on the couch, stretching and looking around the ‘family' quarters that he was now invited into whenever he pleased, although his relationship with Severus had to be kept secret to the general public, just as Luna's had to be, else they all be in danger from Voldemort and his spies. At least the Order could know, he thought, and those were the people that mattered to him the most... the ones who cared to stand up for what they believed in. They made sure none of them would stand alone, and now for the first time, Harry felt a part of that. Previously it had always been his belief that one should stand up for what one believes in even if they had to stand alone. Now he believed that one should stand up for what one believes in, taking comfort in knowing he would never be alone again.

Harry looked at his watch and noticed that it was early yet and Snape... his father was probably still sleeping, so he rose and made his way out of the quarters, checking that the corridor was empty before he left. He made his way up through the Dungeons, and had just emerged into the brightly lit Entrance Hall when he heard a gentle, "Hey," call out to him from the stairs. His eyes roamed to find the voice, and found Ginny sitting on the steps looking at him shyly.

"Hey yourself," he said quietly, going to sit beside her. The sun had probably just risen and there was no one else about this early except perhaps house elves, preparing Saturday breakfast for the masses.

They sat quietly for a few long moments and then Harry asked, "Did you get in trouble?"

She leaned into him then playfully and he took her hand as they sat shoulder to shoulder. "No more than you probably did. I got a long talk with diagrams and a lot of uncomfortable pointing by Madam Pomfrey at a ‘correct' statue."

Harry laughed then and ran his hand over his face and through his hair, shaking his head as he looked at the stairs beneath his feet. "They blew that way out of proportion."

"Yeah," she said. "I thought for sure you'd been scrubbing floors all night for Professor Snape when you didn't come back. I waited for you."

"You've been sitting here all night?"

"Almost. Four a.m. I think."

Harry looked into her eyes with such gratitude that she blushed a little before giving him a gentle kiss on the lips.

"I have something to tell you," Harry said.

"You got the talk too?"

He laughed again and said, "Oh yeah," as he blushed again. "No diagrams or statues though."

"What is it?"

Harry was quiet as he smiled, still amazed by all that had happened. "I got really upset last night with him... Professor Snape I mean." He rubbed the back of his neck, feeling content to sit there with Ginny in the quiet Entrance Hall forever. "I tried running again... but he wouldn't let me. Tackled me actually. I have a big bruise on my elbow from where I got plowed into the grass."

She looked concerned as he lifted his sleeve to show her the bruise, but waited quietly for him to continue.

"He told me he wouldn't let me run anymore. Said... he said he wanted me to be his son."

"Harry, do you mean it?"

He smiled a tired smile as he looked at her and nodded. "He had the papers drawn up for it last week. They were waiting in his quarters for me to sign."

"Did you do it?"

He shook his head. "No, there has to be witnesses. I wanted you to be there. I guess it's a big ceremony."

She hugged him around the neck then. "I'm glad you came back Harry, and I'm happy that you've finally found what you've been looking for."

"Me too," he said quietly, closing his eyes. "Because you were part of it. You helped hold me together, and I hope you always will."

She sighed contentedly into his shoulder and said, "I will Harry. I will." And Harry believed her.

 

* * * ~One Month Later - Three Days Before Christmas~ * * *

 

Harry fidgeted nervously with his hands in the back room as he fiddled with his long dark blue tie. He couldn't remember the spell he'd once used to tie it for the Yule Ball in his fourth year, and he had only minutes now until he needed it to look perfect.

The door behind him opened and he saw Severus in the mirror as he shut the door and came in wearing something akin to a Muggle suit, but with a definite air of magic about it. Perhaps it was the lucky snitch socks Luna had insisted he wear under his black shoes that nobody could see, but Harry knew were there.

"How's it coming?"

"I can't get it. I can't remember the spell and I never learned to tie it the Muggle way," Harry said, frustrated.

Severus came up behind him and motioned for Harry to drop his hands as he reached around the boy's neck on both sides and began to tie it. "Like this," he said smoothly. "This is the proper way to wizard tie a Muggle tie without a wand."

"Wizard tie?"

"They call it the Severus Snape knot."

Harry scoffed lightly and rolled his eyes and saw Severus smile behind him as he finished the knot. "There, perfect," he said, "like a gentleman." They both smiled and Harry was happy that he looked as perfect as he felt for once. His hair still stood up at odd angles, but that was ok, because Severus had said it was perfect, and so it was.

"Are they all here?"

"They are waiting in the room of requirement beyond the door. Are you ready?"

Harry turned to stare at the brown door, and nodded. Beyond that door lay the ceremony set in a beautiful forest the room had conjured for them. Beyond that door lay his future, with a family and friends that he knew he could count on; that he knew would always be there for him, no matter what.

"I wanted to talk to you before the ceremony," Severus said, and gained Harry's attention. He caught the slightly panicked look that crossed the boy's face but held up a hand to forestall it. "I have not changed my mind. I wished to talk to you about the type of life you will lead after you walk through that door."

"Oh, ok."

Severus put his hands on Harry's shoulders as he looked into his eyes, and said, "You can no longer live life as though you've got nothing to lose. It can no longer be a reckless life that is lived only for yourself and your welfare without consideration of how your actions might affect those who care for you. I want you to understand that your welfare rests in our hands now, specifically mine, and I will always have your welfare in mind in actions regarding you. I made a promise to you once Harry, that you would not have to live on your own any longer, and I intend to keep it to the best of my ability. I want you to remember that promise too."

Feeling choked up now with emotion that was ready to overwhelm him, Harry bit his trembling lip and closed his eyes before tears could fully well up in them. He placed his forehead on Severus' warm chest and nodded. "I think I finally know," he said.

"Good," Severus said, licking his lower lip and then standing up straight. Harry turned to the door and Severus placed his hands on Harry's shoulders from behind one last time to give him comfort and courage to walk through the door. In a last ironic thought as Harry reached for the handle, he realized that they could hold the ceremony in no more fitting a place, as the room of requirement did it's best to give what one wished, and here he was gaining everything he'd ever hoped and wished for in one sitting.

On the other side Harry walked into a green forest filled with white barked birch and aspen trees and a few evergreens, where light filtered through liberally on the party of friends and family that had amassed there just for him. It felt like a wedding, Harry thought, as he saw the Weasleys standing near a table covered in an intricate white cloth and piled high with food, talking to Hermione and McGonagall. Neville and Luna were holding hands as they sat quietly in some white chairs, and Dumbledore was there as well in order to officiate. Hagrid, Dobby, Remus, and Tonks stood in a group together talking and laughing.

They smiled as Harry walked out, and while Harry thought he saw a gleam of sadness in Remus' eyes, when he looked again all he saw was one of his closest friends... one of his dad's closest friends, encouraging him to take on this new challenge... this new blessing in life. Harry grinned gratefully and allowed Severus to guide him with a hand on his shoulder to the front of the gathering.

As everybody that Harry loved and trusted gathered around himself and his new father, with Dumbledore in front of the two of them, Harry realized something that gave him pause. Where once he had nothing to lose and everything to gain, he now had everything to lose if he wasn't careful. Knowing this he was determined to devote himself to never taking for granted what once he only dreamed of having.

Harry took a knee in front of Severus, who stood with a sword that was the heirloom of the Prince family, a sparkling clear gem in the center of the hilt.

"Harry James Potter," Dumbledore said with a warm smile down at him. "Do you swear to take on the family name of Snape, and all that this man has made it stand for?

"I do." Yes, it was everything he'd dreamed of having, and he would guard it with the very essence of his being.

Epilogue

Harry James Potter Snape is my brother in more than blood, he is my brother in heart and soul, our father's son, his wife's husband and children's father, the type of friend every friend wants to have. Nobody who knows Harry on a personal level can walk away without a smile on their face at the type of friendship he offers... it's the kind that knows no bounds because he was once a boy who knew not what it meant to have such a friend.

All has ended well for our family and it is more than I could have dreamed of. We have persevered through desperation, heartbreak and knargles, and all are determined as intertwined as we are, to never let anything come between us.

So just remember... who knows who it is that you'll meet that will become part of your family. You may just meet them in the most unlikely of places. I did, and look how it turned out for me! Wonderfully, and it will make the fate sprites smile to know it.

 

 The End

 

Afterward:

Harry and Ginny marry and have three children of their own before adopting three more. Neville and Luna marry (despite Neville's fear of Severus) though Severus continues to change and grow, and he and Neville become almost as close as he and Harry. Neville and Luna have one little girl. Ron and Hermione marry and have several children. Harry finally feels as though he is a real part of the Weasley family, and now has two happy families! Harry's children and nieces and nephews never know the pain or suffering he has known, and never know the heartbreak of war.

Severus is happy.

So is Harry.

The End.
End Notes:
Yeah, I had to have an epilogue and an afterward... I'm aware they're one in the same, but I'm breaking the rules and making them two different things.

I feel very satisfied with the ending to this story, and I intentionally left things up to your imagination such as how the rest of the ceremony went. I feel like sometimes things go too much in depth when they can be ended in a sweet way that leaves readers feeling lighthearted and happy, but not too overburdened with information that wasn't really necessary. I hope I accomplished this.

I truly enjoyed writing this story for you all. I wrote it as a break from "My Secret Father" and will now be moving back to finishing that one as well since it's so close to being done anyway.

Reviews? Comments? What did you like? I'm grinning to have this done and being at peace about how it ended.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2610