Harry Potter and a Series of Singular Moments by Azkaban Escape Plan
Summary: Severus Snape never meant to betray the his beloved Lily by telling the Dark Lord the Prophecy, Bellatrix LeStrange never intended to fall in love with the child she rescued from his parents house, Lucius Malfoy never imagined how far he would go to protect his family. Each of them were affected by that Halloween night, but none more that Young Harry Potter. This is his story... and the story of those who found themselves confronted by destiny that night.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Draco, Dumbledore, James, Lily, Lucius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 21624 Read: 18710 Published: 05 Aug 2011 Updated: 24 Oct 2011
Chapter 4 by Azkaban Escape Plan

 

Severus looked at Minerva intently. There was little question in his mind that the next few moments needed to be handled carefully. If he pushed he could loose any headway he'd made with McGonagall. Severus thought through the possibilities racing about in his mind.

"Severus?" Minerva watched him, a single eyebrow lifted above unflinching eyes.

"I think there are some things you need to know." He rose from one of the chairs and paced in front of the dark fireplace before turning to look at her. Minerva had always been this way; a stoic impartial observer of the world around her, at this moment Severus envied her. His fingers rang through his lank hair before he sighed and sat back down and faced her. He knew that telling her the whole truth would be painful.

"I was the one who told the Dark Lord about the prophecy. I was in the Hog's Head that day… I was so young. I was so foolish. I ran out of the bar before Trelawney could even finish it. I went right to him and I told him everything I heard. He was rather pleased with me for a few days, until he found out there had been more. At first I really didn't think anything of it. If the Dark Lord died… then all would be lost and we were all prepared to do whatever it took to save him… even if it meant hunting down and killing an innocent child." Severus glanced away from Minerva. He locked his gaze of Harry, drawing strength from the boy as he plunged forward.

"We were all so young… so naïve… but we didn't doubt… I didn't doubt… until he figured out it was either the Longbottoms or the Potters. I was sick for days; I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. I prayed…" Severus placed a hand over his mouth for a moment looking heartsick and exhausted, before he forced himself to continue.

"I prayed it was the Longbottoms. I hoped with everything I had that they would be the ones to die and that James and Harry and…" his voice broke "Lily would be safe. When he decided it was the Potters I knew that I'd made a mistake. I did everything I could to save her life. I asked for her life to be spared, I know it was selfish of me, but I was so caught up in my hate for James Potter I believed that if she lived then maybe I could have her back, but he wouldn't listen to me. I knew that I'd been misled, that everything I believed was fake, and that I couldn't protect her on my own. I went to Dumbledore. I begged him to protect her, to do something to save her life. I begged him, but he wanted something back… something in return." Severus stood and resumed his pacing.

"You have to understand, Minerva, I… I had nothing I could give him. Nothing I could give in exchange for their lives… for her life. So I gave him the only thing I could. Me. I told Albus I'd spy for him. I swore an unbreakable to save her life. I thought that he might do it… that he might save them, but they died and I had no choice but to keep serving him to keep spying. I felt so dirty just being near him. When I found out what he planned I apparated to Godric's Hallow. I was going to try to kill him, anything to protect them. I knew Lily wouldn't be happy without them, so I was going to save them, to save all of them. It was to late… the house was a smoking mess when I got there and Lily… she was just laying there." Severus didn't pause to wipe at the tears pouring down his face, he was caught in the memory of that horrible night.

"Her eyes were wide, so wide and empty. She looked like she could have fainted, except for her eyes. I can still it… I can still see her." Severus closed his eyes, seeing his precious Lily lying on the floor of the nursery. It was the reoccurring material of his nightmares. Her death played in the velvet space of his mind, over and over again until it nearly broke him.

"I looked for Harry but he wasn't there. I didn't know what to do. I felt so lost. Like there was a hole in my heart that was threatening to consume me. I ended up at Malfoy Manner hours later. I don't know how I got there… but when I finally found Lucius I was incoherent. I rambled on about the Dark Lord killing Lily and how James was dead. Lucius handed me a cup of tea and sat me down. He looked me in the eye and said something to me that I remember to this day. He said 'we swore in blood that we were brothers. We swore we'd follow each other to the gates of hell and you did, Brother, but I won't make you follow me where I'm going. I won't loose my family to that mad man. I will stand against him and bare the trouble that comes with it to ensure their safety.' He told me that Narcissa and him had deceived the Dark Lord. That they had hidden her pregnancy, that they had decided that they would no longer follow him. They told me that they wanted me to be the boys Godfather… but they needed to know where I stood." Severus' tears had slowed and he drew a handkerchief from his pocket and removed all traces of them from his cheeks.

"That night… the three of us swore loyalty to no one but ourselves and each other. I was still forced to serve two masters, Dumbledore and the Dark Lord, and Lucius the Dark Lord… but we swore in blood. They made me their sons Godfather… my precious Draco. He helped me fill the void in my heart." Severus glanced across the room to where Harry slept and then back at Minerva. Her own eyes were damp.

"I know that you don't trust them, but I do. Lucius will protect Harry with every breath he has in his body. I know we can trust them. They almost lost so much. Draco was supposed to be born at the end of July… his parents defied the Dark Lord many times before he was born by hiding Narcissa. They could have been the family in the Prophecy and they know how lucky they are." Severus expected some kind of response from his stoic colleague but not the one he got.

Minerva reached out to him and drew him into a comforting hug.

"You are not the only one who has made mistakes, Severus." She placed her hands on his shoulders and pressed him into a chair. She turned away from him for a moment to light the fireplace with a flick of her wand. When she looked at him again he saw pain reflected in her gaze.

"After James and Lily went into hiding members of the Order took turns looking in on them. One day when I was with them, they told me that they had made me Harry's Godmother. I was ecstatic. Harry was such a good baby, quiet and inquisitive… I knew I would have to fight young Mr. Black for time with him if Merlin forbid, but I didn't mind. When I came back to Hogwarts Albus came to me and made me sign away my rights as Godmother. He said it would be better if something happened that Harry be with family. I argued that I was family… but I was so sure that it was all just him being hyper vigilant and nothing would happen that I signed it. Now, look at the boy. He's been abused and neglected for as long as he can remember. The past is past… we cannot change it, we cannot alter times flow and fix our mistakes, we have to carry on in the knowledge of our mistakes and try not to make them again. I trust you, Serveus. I know that you would never let anything happen to Harry. If you think the Malfoys can help, then floo them. We have precious time before Albus figures us out and we still have much to do."

Severus was slow to move but he knelt before the fireplace and threw in his floo powder. He whispered the password for the Malfoys private floo and waited. It was hardly any time at all before Lucius' face appeared in the flames.

"Severus. To what do I owe this honor?" Lucius was careful in his address, his past had taught him to be cautious on the public floo.

"Lucius, I need you to step through. I need your help." Severus knew that he couldn't tell Lucius everything that had happened anyway but face to face.

"Move back." Lucius was firm in his belief that family was the most important thing a man could have and that family included Severus and he would do anything for him.

Severus stood and stepped away from the fireplace. Seconds later the fire roared a brilliant green and out stepped Lucius Malfoy.

The years had been kind to him. His son had brought so much joy in to his life and his wife's heart… it showed in the shallow crows feet beside his eyes and the easy hug he gave Severus.

"Now, What brings me through the fireplace tonight and into such esteemed company?" He inclined his head toward Minerva and Poppy respectfully.

"I need to hide someone. " Severus led Lucius over to the bed. Severus knew what Lucius saw first. The lightening bolt emblazoned on Harry's forehead. Severus watched as his eyes found the now fading bruises. Lucius locked eyes with Poppy.

"Have you run a diagnostic spell?" His words where clipped and icy his emotion hidden behind his pureblood mask

Poppy nodded and handed over several sheets of parchment. It showed the boys most current injuries and any experienced since his birth. It was a sad testimony of the misery of his young life. When he was done he handed the papers carefully back to Poppy showing no emotion.

"Does Dumbledore know about this?" Lucius said Dumbledore as though it were a swear word, something distasteful in his mouth.

"He's the one who placed the boy with the Muggles who did this." Severus snarled back at Lucius, his anger rising again.

They were so intent on each other that neither noticed that Harry had slowly returned to wakefulness. His vivid eyes hazy and unfocused on the people who stood around his bed.

"Can I have some water?" His voice was thick… it felt like he'd swallowed a whole bag of cotton balls.

"Of Course dear. " Poppy pulled a small cup from her Healer's bag and filled it with water. She handed him his glasses first knowing that he would be more comfortable being able to see everyone. She waited until he was sitting before she handed over the cup. The water was gone in a few huge gulps; and a hand was dragged lazily across his upper lip removing the excess.

"If you don't mind Sir… who are you?" Harry looked directly at Malfoy as he spoke.

"My name is Lucius Malfoy. It seems, Mr. Potter, that you are going to be staying with me and my family for the next month." Lucius tried to make his tone warm… but he struggled, the only child he'd really interacted with was his son. Severus saw the look of concern and fear grow on Harry's face. He reached out and placed his arm around Harry's thin shoulders.

"Don't worry, Harry. I'll be there the whole time." Severus felt the tension leave Harry's body as he leaned into him.

"Thank you." His green eyes drifted closed and he slept again.

Lucius looked at the boy and his brother and knew that neither would be the same again.

Lucius felt a hand on his shoulder; Minerva drew him away from the bed.

"Albus placed Harry with the Dursley's, Lily's sister's family, because Lily's sacrifice created blood wards that kept Harry safe from Death Eaters and those who wished him harm. Do you know of anything that might be comparable? Even if we solve the problem for now and keep Harry away until the school term starts… what about next summer?" Minerva had always like Lucius. He looked at a problem and saw hundreds of answers where most people saw none. Lucius was still and silent for a moment, before a spark grew in his eyes.

"That shouldn't be a problem… we'll use the same thing." Lucius felt a smirk twist his lips.

"Petunia and her family are the only family of Lily's left. We don't want Harry near them ever again…so how can we use the blood wards?" Lucius considered for a moment longer then spoke.

"The Potters are related to the Blacks and the Blacks are related to the Malfoy's." He stated as though it was the simplest thing ever, however Minerva took a moment to understand the meaning.

"Lily wasn't the only one to lay down her life that night. James died for both of them… we can base the blood wards off him."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2637