Harry Potter and the Different Path by Sherza
Summary: All other things being equal, what if Severus did not allow his hatred of James Potter to blind him?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Flitwick, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Harry Potter and the Different Path
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 53054 Read: 176101 Published: 17 Sep 2011 Updated: 25 Oct 2011
Different Visit by Sherza
Thankfully for Severus' peace of mind, Remus' letter had been remarkably short and to the point.

Severus

Harry was with the Dursleys? Has Dumbledore gone mad? Lily's sister was at best a most unpleasant woman, and I can only imagine the hardships Harry has suffered. Regarding your request that I return to England post haste, consider it mostly granted. I must give notice at my current job, so I will be there as soon as I can be. Regarding the Potter elves, there were four. Missy, Toker, Jinks and Mallie. I fear that Missy and Toker have probably passed on by now, as they were both quite elderly in the first place, and the stress of losing so much of their Bonded family would not have done them any favors, but Jinks and Mallie ought to still be alive.

Remus

Severus sighed. At least he had a bit more time before the wolf would be here, which was a small mercy.

That evening, when Harry joined him for his usual study time, Snape told him they'd be going somewhere the next day, if he would like to. The phrasing struck Harry as a bit odd. "Where would we be going?" He wanted to know.

"Godric's Hollow. Your parents are buried there." Snape told him.

Oh. That answered that. "I ... I think I'd like to go, sir." He finally said.

Snape nodded, then, thankfully, changed the subject to homework, much to Harry's relief.

They left the next day shortly after breakfast, and Harry (much to his dismay) got his first exposure to side apparation. It sucked. Big time. He came remarkably close to hurling all over Snape's shoes. Once he could concentrate on something other than his rebelling stomach, he glanced around.

The street they were on seemed to be ... very quiet. Almost as if no one lived here, anymore. Maybe they didn't, considering what had happened here. He was somewhat disconcerted when he spotted the statue.

"Is that ... ?" Harry asked.

"It is." After a couple months around the man, Harry was able to pick up on the amused disgust.

"A statue. What in the hell were people thinking? I mean, really?" Harry glared at the thing, shaking his head.

Snape lead the way to the cemetery, and then to a particular marker with an unerring ease that told Harry he'd been here before. But then, his mom had apparently been Snape's friend, so it wasn't all that surprising.

Harry honestly didn't know how he felt, looking at the stone. This was his parents, but at the same time ... he had no memory of them, at least he didn't think he did. It was sort of hard to grieve something you'd never actually known. At the same time, there was a knot in the back of his throat and his eyes were burning like he wanted to cry, but couldn't. Unaware that Snape had stepped back to give him privacy, he reached out and touched the stone.

"I wish you hadn't died.." He said quietly. "It would have been nice ... but things are better now, and I think they're going to stay that way. As for the idiot that put you here ... " He glowered. "Hagrid says he probably really isn't dead. Well, if he comes back around ... I'll get even with him if it's the last thing I do."

After a few moments, he gave himself a bit of a shake and rubbed at his face, surprised to find he'd been crying without realizing it. Snape's hand gripped his shoulder, startling him as he'd more or less forgotten the man was there. Thankfully for Harry's rather tattered control and self-esteem, Snape didn't actually look at him or say a word.

For his own part, Snape was just grateful the boy was distracted enough to not be paying him much mind. Coming here was always painful for him. Now even more than before. He'd failed her twice now. He meant to never fail her again, no matter the cost.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2663