Harry Potter and the Different Path by Sherza
Summary: All other things being equal, what if Severus did not allow his hatred of James Potter to blind him?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Flitwick, Hermione, McGonagall, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Harry Potter and the Different Path
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 53054 Read: 176105 Published: 17 Sep 2011 Updated: 25 Oct 2011
Different Meeting by Sherza
The Christmas feast later that day was incredible ... mostly for the fact that Hagrid and McGonagall got rather a bit drunk, as evidenced by the fact Hagrid smooched McGonagall on the cheek and all she did was giggle like a schoolgirl, which had, for Harry, been more than a little surreal. From Severus' expression, he didn't find it any less disturbing than Harry did, but from the complete lack of surprise everyone showed, it was also something of a yearly event.

It was a bit of a relief to get away from everyone else that evening. By then, Harry's arms were full of things from the wizarding crackers that had been provided. He'd come away with a chess set of his own, among other goodies, and was hoping Severus would help him learn to play a bit better so Ron didn't thrash him every time they played. Harry didn't mind losing, all that much, but he figured it would be more fun for Ron if he managed to last longer, at the very least.

He went to bed that night unable to sleep, mentally reviewing what had been a most excellent day. He still felt like he was brimming with energy, and found himself eyeing the shimmery bundle of cloth that was his dad's invisibility cloak in the very early hours of the morning, still wide awake. Severus had said he could wander about the castle. And really, what better time to do it than during the holidays when the staff were much less likely to get cross or assign detentions or take points if he got caught? He grabbed his wand and pulled the cloak over him, then tiptoed to his bedroom door, opening it the tiniest fraction and peering around the edge.

There was only a small bit of light from a single candle in the corridor and one in the sitting room, and no evidence of Severus anywhere to be seen. Carefully, Harry slipped out of his room and tiptoed to the exit, where he hesitated a moment. He'd noticed, coming to Severus' quarters this time, that he'd been able to see the door, but was that because he'd been with Severus, or for some other reason? Harry sighed. Only one way to find out, and he just hoped that if the door went invisible, he'd be able to remember where it was at. Carefully, he slipped through the door, then out of the narrow corridor, lit his wand with a whispered 'lumos', and looked back, giving a pleased grin when he could still see the door. Excellent.

He spent a good hour just in the corridors nearest Severus' quarters, familiarizing himself with the area, before he was sure he'd be able to recognize where he was at if he got close enough. He spent another half hour or so wandering the halls before it occurred to him that he might be able, finally, to get into the restricted section of the library. The good alone knew the three of them had looked everywhere else they could think of to find Flamel, and Hermione'd dropped the hint about the restricted section before she left to be with her parents over the holiday. Maybe he'd finally find something in there.

It didn't take him long to get to the library, or past the rope that separated the main library from the restricted section. Harry eyed the books warily, as he could swear he heard some of them talking, or something. After a moment, Harry shook it off and pointed his lit wand at the book spines, trying to read the writing (which was badly faded in many cases). Eventually, he settled for a book at random and carried it to a corner to read in relative peace.

He'd only barely started skimming the book when he heard a distinctive yowl. Mrs. Norris! He froze in place, hoping she'd pass him by, but a few moments later, the mangy cat prowled into view and headed straight for him, nose twitching like mad. Harry swore silently. Of course! She couldn't see, but she could still smell! He had to get out of here, fast. Wherever that cat went, Filch was soon to follow.

Sure enough, he'd barely started moving when he heard Filch's voice, alternating between calling encouragements to Mrs. Norris and spewing threats at the student he was sure she was tracking. Worse, the bloody damn cat gave chase, following his scent even if she couldn't see him. Harry cursed again under his breath and took off at a dead run, finally spotting a classroom door that was open a little bit. He slid inside and closed the door almost in Mrs. Norris' face. He heard her give an annoyed-sounding yowl and move off, but didn't move from where he'd braced himself on the door, waiting to see if Filch ... damn. Sure enough, Filch, still grumbling and growling, approached the door, but then trotted right past, still pursuing Mrs. Norris.

Harry finally took a deep breath, letting it out in a relieved whoosh. He sagged a bit against the door, and pulled the cloak off his head. It wasn't until he spotted something out of the corner of his eye that drew his attention. It was a tall, fairly wide standing mirror. Curious as to how he looked in the cloak, Harry wandered over to have a peek. And whipped around, wide-eyed in horror half a second later, only to give the empty room behind him a baffled look. After a moment, he turned to look again.

There were people. A lot of them. A red-haired woman that looked a good bit like a grown-up version of the girl in the only picture Harry had seen of his mother might look. It was Severus', a black-and-white muggle picture that had been taken by Harry's grandmother. In it, two children, one visibly recognizable (thanks mostly to the nose, Harry was willing to admit) as a very young Severus Snape, were dressed in their Hogwarts robes, standing in what looked like a living room. His mother was smiling widely and clearly excited, while Severus' expression (far more open than the adult's was) was one of tolerant amusement. Severus told him the picture had been taken the morning they went to King's Cross for the first time.

Standing next to the woman who looked like he thought his mum might have looked when she grew up was a man with Harry's hair, and wearing glasses. If that was ... then he was ... ?

"Mum? Dad?"

His mum nodded, and, in the mirror, put her hand on his shoulder. Harry couldn't stop himself from reaching up to touch the same shoulder, even as he refused to look behind him again to confirm they weren't, actually, there. And then, slowly at first but with growing speed, people appeared, grouped behind one or the other of his parents, the similarities between them sometimes clear, sometimes not. Harry grinned a bit when he spotted Charlus standing just behind James.

And just when he thought it couldn't get any stranger, three more people swam into view. The first two appeared next to James, a sandy-haired, slightly worn-looking man and a man a couple inches taller than his dad with long black hair and a look in his eyes that promised mayhem and chaos of a good-natured variety. Whoever they were, they bore little resemblance to the Potter side of the family, and the mystery intrigued Harry. At least until the third person appeared in the mirror, making him whirl around and squeak in startled dismay at having been caught.

But again, there was no one behind him, and Harry turned back around to look, as Severus had joined the group, standing on the far side of Lily, away from James and the other two men. A moment after that, people started fading out until it was just James, Lily, Severus and the two strangers, and then the two strangers faded out, leaving just the three. James and Lily looked happy, and ... proud? ... and Severus had the look in his eyes he got when Harry finally understood the theory behind a particular spell.

Harry had no idea how long he stood there, both wishing desperately he could have his parents alive and with him and wondering why Severus was included. Certainly, he'd gotten to know the man, even to like him, but he was fairly sure Severus did not count as family. But maybe that was the point? After all, the mirror, whatever it was, had showed him something patently impossible ... him surrounded by his (almost entirely) dead family ... and there hadn't been a Dursley in sight, which, now he thought of it, if the mirror was showing actual family, shouldn't they have been there too, even if he hated their guts? Petunia was Lily's sister, after all. So why hadn't they been there, and why had Severus and the two men he didn't know? It was rather confusing.

Eventually, Peeves knocking something over somewhere upstairs broke Harry out of his preoccupation with the mirror, and, realizing how close it was to dawn, he fled to the dungeons. Fortunately, he managed to find Severus' door without any trouble, and slipped inside, racing for his room and stuffing the cloak into his wardrobe before he flung himself on the bed and prepared to pretend he was asleep.

HPHPHP

Severus, being no one's fool, had long ago placed wards and alarms around his quarters that warned him of someone's approach. Unless that someone was keyed into his wards, they would not find his quarters (a precaution against pranks by the braver souls of the castle). He had keyed Harry into the wards so he could see the door, but left the alarm in place, so he'd know if Harry snuck in or out. Given the boy'd gotten the cloak for Christmas, Severus had made a private bet with himself that Harry would use it yet that night. Better, Severus thought, for Harry to swoop about with such a 'novel' item during the holiday. Hopefully, by the time school started again, the novelty of it would have worn off a bit and Harry would not be as inclined to run about at night with it.

He had not, of course, been as asleep as Harry had probably thought, but had been sitting up in his room, book on one hand, parchment and quill on the other as he sought an answer to a particularly knotty problem with one of his experimental potions. He'd also found himself spending a good deal of the time thinking about Harry.

The gift had surprised him. He'd honestly not expected to get anything from Harry at all, or something very generic at best, given how short a time the two of them had known each other. The cloak had been ... unexpected. Much to Severus' amusement, it was of a cut very similar to what he wore day-to-day, and of a similar weight, which meant it would behave much as his usual cloaks did ... which would make the fact that there was (gasp) actual color and design anywhere on them that much more of a shock. If it wasn't for the fact that the chances of them being ruined by some idiot student were high as they were not protected by the multitude of charms Severus had woven into his teaching robes, Severus would have been tempted to wear them to classes. As it was, he would have to settle for wearing them on weekends.

Severus was preoccupied by things other than the unexpected gift, as well. Thus far, other than little snippets, Harry knew little of actual consequence about the past. Oh, he'd been told tales about both Lily (by Severus) and James and the wolf (by Minerva) but Severus' own sordid history, Voldemort and Black had been avoided. Severus would not ... could not ... keep the boy ignorant forever. He had little doubt that Dumbledore would have kept his silence about anything and everything to the bitter end, but Severus was in no way so inclined. Voldemort would, eventually, return. Of that much, Severus was sure. He was already planning, once summer arrived, to begin advancing Harry's tuition in spellcasting of all sorts as quickly as the boy could manage. Allowing Harry as normal a time at school as possible was admirable, and even desirable, but not at the cost of the boy's life if Voldemort (or some Death Eater) popped up unexpectedly.

At any rate, at some point Harry would, at the very least, see Severus' Mark, as it was merely faded, not invisible. Explanations would then be required, and it was best if such things were explained early on. Of course, Severus had no intention of explaining everything, or in great detail ... Harry was entirely too young to know everything just yet, abuse-forced maturity beyond his years be damned. He could, however, explain some of it in simplified terms.

HPHPHP

Harry dragged badly the next day, much to Severus' secret amusement. He'd been out quite late ... the wards had not woken Severus until about an hour before dawn. As it was Boxing Day, Severus had mercy on the boy and let him sleep in. For his own part, Severus was less than pleased that the next day would bring the wolf to his door. To his surprise, Harry seemed somewhat apprehensive about meeting the man. Or, at the very least, just a bit quieter than then norm. And giving Severus odd looks when he thought Severus wasn't looking.

Fortunately, the next day, the Weasley herd had succeeded in dragging Harry out to the quidditch pitch when Remus arrived. Severus, who had gone to the gate to greet the man, found himself surprised to be ... almost alarmed at the wolf's appearance, though he'd never let the wolf know that. He was thin and the gray in his hair and the lines on his face aged him prematurely.

Severus did not hate Remus anywhere near as badly as he did James (Black, may his soul rot in hell, belonged to an entirely different category of virulence), as the wolf had seldom taken part in the harassment and, knowing now that he was a wolf, Severus suspected it simply had not been in his nature to challenge the 'pack alpha' about his behavior. But Black's (damn him) little 'prank' fifth year had left its marks (though, again, Severus would go to the depths of hell before admitting it), and Severus was never again anywhere near comfortable in the man's presence. As he despised weakness in himself, whatever form it might take, this tended to make him cranky, but for Harry's sake, he would at least attempt to leash his tongue.

"Lupin." He greeted, as neutrally as he was able. "There is much to be discussed."

Remus nodded. "I got that impression." Unsaid between them was the knowledge that nothing short of near-apocalypse would induce Severus to seek out a Marauder's assistance and/or counsel. "How is he?"

"Better than he was, to be sure." Severus did not pretend ignorance of whom they were speaking. "And remarkably better than he could have been, but that is one of the subjects we must cover in private."

He led the wolf down to the dungeons, and his office (never would a Marauder be welcome in his private quarters!). Remus settled in the chair in front of Severus' desk, and for a time the two men studied each other from across the bulwark that was the desk. Finally, Severus cast several wards to ensure their privacy.

"I will admit to harboring the belief that the boy would be his father reborn." Severus told Remus. "So, when he arrived, I watched him. Closely. Imagine my surprise when I discovered he was far too short, far too thin, and not only showed no trace of his father's personality, but only traces of Lily's. He was shy, did not interact with any save the youngest Weasley and a Muggleborn girl in his year and House by the name of Granger, and never took part in the roughhousing that is ... normal ... for young boys." Severus sighed. "Individually, it would have been easy to believe the boy to merely be quiet, but together ... "

"It raised alarms." Remus acknowledged, looking serious.

"Indeed. I ... arranged ... for Harry to have a detention, where I might speak to him most directly and plainly, and got ... quite the earful, the full details of which I will not divulge, as it is up to Harry whom he speaks to of it, but there have been a few moments over the last months when I have entertained the notion of introducing you to the Dursleys on a full moon."

Which sentiment, given Severus' ... issues ... with werewolves, was an indication of just how bad it had been, Remus knew.

"I came remarkably close to hexing the Headmaster into the middle of the next century when I discovered he'd left the boy with Petunia, of all people." Severus' voice was rich with disgust. "And Minerva and Poppy were not but a minute behind me in expressing their extreme displeasure. Minerva especially was rather ... inventive ... in her descriptions of the Headmaster's failings in this matter."

Remus looked faintly amused. "I can well imagine."

Severus smirked. "I used the assistance of a certain acquaintance of mine to ensure Harry's guardianship was placed in my hands, and we have since been spending a good deal of time together. He is a remarkable young man."

"How much does he know?" Remus wanted to know.

"Very little, at this point. Black." Severus spat the name. "Has not been spoken of at all, nor Pettigrew. He knows your name, and that you were a friend of his father's ... and that we did not get on at all well in school, though I have not told him any specifics. You will be telling him of your condition." Severus made no bones about that. "If for no other reason than the fact that he is quite inquisitive and will investigate on his own if denied the information." Severus grinned. "He has been most persistent with a matter he caught wind of when Hagrid took him to buy his things on his birthday."

Remus sighed, but nodded. There was no way in hell he wanted a repeat of anything even remotely like what had happened with Severus. "If he's that persistent, it will be for the best." He agreed.

"I will be providing you with wolfsbane, and you will take it without fail." Severus continued. "I have been experimenting with the recipe to improve its efficacy, and will require information of you afterwards."

Again, that was fair enough, and more than. Remus did not enjoy losing his mind every full moon, so access to wolfsbane (normally too expensive for him to afford) was welcome indeed, and an improved formula that made the change less traumatic would be a blessing. "You mentioned an artifact of the Marauders in your letter." Remus commented. It had been those exact words, too, which had Remus suspecting what it was.

"Yes. A few days after the discovery of Harry's situation, the Weasley twins approached me. They are as mischievous as the four of you once were, but without the ... " Severus sneered. "cruelty, and the best potioneers I've seen in the entire time I've taught here. I have supervised their brewing and inventing since early in their first year, after a particularly ... spectacular ... failure that very nearly took out an entire corridor of the dungeons."

Remus nodded, and Severus continued. "They came to me with a concern. And this." Severus opened a drawer in his desk and pulled out the map. From the surprised look on Remus' face, he recognized it. "They told me that in the wake of the discovery of Harry's situation, they'd been keeping an eye on him and their little brother with this. And in the process spotted a name they did not recognize as student, staff, or ghost. A name that appeared, at least once, in Harry's dorm room. It was Pettigrew."

Remus jerked. "Pettigrew? Are you sure? Are they?"

"They have never lied to me ... and would not, not about something like this." Severus said. "And since, I have spotted the name once myself, when the children were all in their classes. He was in Harry's dorm room again. But I do not know how you lot created this, so I do not know if it is malfunctioning or something of the sort."

Remus immediately took the map and tapped it with his wand, muttering under his breath. The parchment glowed a variety of colors in rapid succession, and writing appeared and disappeared across the surface so fast Severus could not catch more than one word in five, but Remus evidently was able to make sense of it. Severus was just glad that Remus was the Marauder available to him to check the map. He had little doubt that Remus, always studious, had been the source for the research that would have needed to be done to create the map.

After several long minutes, Remus lifted his head. "It's still functioning as it ought to." He finally confirmed, his expression troubled. He smoothed the map out on Severus' desk and activated it, then, once the map had formed, tapped it again. "Locus Peter Pettigrew." He commanded.

A few moments later, all the names save one had disappeared. Severus cocked an eyebrow, intrigued, even as he watched the small dot. It was up on the sixth floor near the stairs to Gryffindor Tower.

"We're going to have a job of it catching up to him." Remus said. "Though it does not entirely surprise me that he would be a ghost, given how he died."

"We can speak to the ghosts. The Baron, Sir Nicholas and the Friar may be willing to assist." Severus pointed out.

"Hmm, that would be a good idea." Remus agreed.

Severus watched as Remus folded up the map, then handed it back over. "He's out on the quidditch pitch. I'll introduce the two of you."

The pair of them headed outside, tramping through the thick snow to where the Weasleys and Harry were zooming about on the school brooms in an excess of high spirits. Severus heard Remus' sharp inhale, and had to fight his own, as Harry suddenly dove towards the earth in pursuit of a dropped Quaffle (it didn't look like they had a Snitch out). Only the fact he'd seen Harry fly before allowed him a measure of outward equanimity.

"My god, he can fly." Remus said quietly.

"You should see him in a game." Severus grumped sourly, which earned him an amused look from the wolf.

HPHPHP

Harry had completely forgotten Remus would show up about halfway through the pick-up game of quidditch (him and one of the twins against Ron and the other one, with just the quaffle to keep life simple). Flying did have that tendency for him, allowing the rest of the world to drop away and cease to exist. He loved it. But then, just after he'd had to do a quick dive to catch the quaffle when Fred dropped it. Harry had no idea if that was the correct name, but since the twin in question was wearing a sweater with an F on it, he was Fred for the duration. It helped keep him sane. Anyway, he'd just pulled out of the dive with the quaffle under his arm when he spotted Severus' distinctive black-clad form walking out onto the pitch, followed by someone else.

Harry damn near fell off his broom when he got a closer look at the newcomer. Whoever he was, he looked virtually identical to the man he'd seen in that weird mirror Christmas night. And again last night. Who ...? And then, belatedly, he remembered who was supposed to be arriving today. Was this, then, Remus Lupin?

"Sorry guys!" He called to Ron and the twins. "Got to call it a day for a bit. Think I have a visitor!"

Ron and the twins agreed easily enough, and Harry tossed them the quaffle before landing, feeling suddenly shy as he studied the somewhat shabby dressed and very worn-looking man. "Ummm ... hi. Are you Mr. Lupin?"

The man smiled at him, and nodded. "Yes, but call me Remus." He said. "I was a good friend of your father's."

"It's nice to meet you, sir. Errr, Remus." Harry said, offering a hand.

Remus shook it. "Perhaps we should go inside?" He suggested. "I think you've been out here a while, and you're probably colder than you realize."

Harry grinned. "Sure. I could use something warm to drink." He shot a look at Severus, wondering if Severus would be coming with them, and gave a pleased grin when he got a faint nod.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2663