Just For Now by MarieLewis
Summary: Upon his reluctant return to the Dursleys after the events of his 5th year, Harry becomes depressed and ill. After an unexpected visit to the doctor Harry discovers a new challenge that he must face. AU 6th year. WARNING! Cancer! fic, and mild language.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Petunia, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: No Word count: 107054 Read: 87741 Published: 27 Sep 2011 Updated: 02 Apr 2014
Too Much, Too Soon by MarieLewis
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Wands and Orchidellia! My unofficial beta's. :)
Disclaimer: I do not own the world of Harry Potter.


"-must have a refuge, my boy. Where else can he possibly stay, he requires a guardian... of a sort."

Severus scowled, slouching even further, in his overly stuffed chair like a petulant child... Though he would never consider it that way.

"Severus, was it not on your behest that we offer young Draco our assistance?"

"Albus, I-"

"And, was it not you who spent year after year, attempting to lead Mr. Malfoy away from his Father's path?"

Severus glowered at the Headmaster from the depths of his chair. Trust Albus to turn his own good intentions on his own person. Severus slumped a bit more before rising to his feet with a defeated sigh. He paced, irritatedly, in front of his employer's desk.

"It is not that I do not wish to take Draco in! It is too dangerous. For we know this is another clever ruse created to suss out the Dark Lord's unfaithful! Lucius has been attempting to return to our 'Master's' good books since his stint in Azkaban." Severus scoffed, pausing in his pacing to scoff deprecatingly, "However brief."

He turned to Dumbledore, a sudden thought shedding light on the Headmaster's words. "You wish for me to discontinue my services?" he blurted incredulously. "And what of the Order? What of the-"

Albus raised an age-wizened hand, effectively stemming any further statements.

"Severus, my dear boy, your surprise is unfounded. You have known my opinion of your situation for many a month."

"Headmaster, I must protest! Without the information I provide the Order would be in far over their heads, and what of the plot to capture Potter before the month is out? I admit, the Dark Lord refuses to share very many details, but-"

"All taken care of, Severus."

Severus stared aghast at Albus, floundering for words as he stared.

"Now, to the matter at hand, young Mr. Malfoy may not have much time. We must ensure his honesty before we take action of any sort. You can meet with him this night, I trust?"

Severus nodded, wordlessly dropping to the edge of his seat.

"No need to fret, Severus, my boy." Albus leaned over the furniture separating them to pat Severus' hand. "All will come to pass in time."

Severus regained use of his voice, taking a moment to berate himself over the obviousness of his emotions. "And what of Potter? Will we 'spirit' him away as well?"

"Why Severus! It almost seems as though you are concerned for him! Careful now, you mustn't give yourself away."

Severus scowled, ignoring Albus's teasing for the moment. "The Dark Lord grows anxious, Albus, he will not accept another failed attempt. Tonight the watch begins, Yaxley will be stationed just off the boy's property, I suspect. My night will not be until next week, I'm afraid, and I do not know who will be enlisted for the task between now and then. Yaxley only gave way after a considerable amount of Firewhisky. I went to great lengths to retain this information, Headmaster. I would hate to see it go to waste because of your faith in 'Blood wards'."

"Harry will be removed from his Aunt and Uncle's in due time Severus." said Albus sharply, and Severus knew he had hit a nerve. Minerva had often argued with the Headmaster over Potter's placement every summer, but far be it from Severus to understand the Gryffindor head's views, nor why Albus appeared saddened and offended, each time she voiced them. "We must be cautious. Voldemort may be watching for spies, as you suspect, we must not lead this back to you. Harry will be removed from the blood wards at the last possible moment, for that is where he is most safe."

Albus' tone brooked no argument, but Severus had none to voice anyhow. He rose from his seat before the Headmaster.

"I will contact Mr. Malfoy, Albus." And with a final nod of his head, he departed from the Headmaster's office.

0000

Remus Lupin sat frowning where he leaned against a short brick wall, beneath Alastor's invisibility cloak. Just a short way from Harry's current residence.

Harry was clambering into the back seat of a muggle automobile, his Aunt and cousin already within. This would be the second time in the span of one week that Harry would be leaving the safety of his Aunt and Uncle's home, though there hadn't been any sign of the latter for ten days or so. Nymphadora had informed them after her watch that Harry had been taken out by his Aunt, and returned an our or so later. She had also reported that Harry seemed to be ill, and when she had gotten a closer look it appeared to be a mild head cold.

The Order hadn't taken the news to heart, after all, no one could be expected to stay in one place everyday for three months. Harry's Aunt had probably just taken her nephew for a day out on the town.

Molly had gushed about Mrs. Dursley finally taking proper care of "The dear boy".

But Remus knew better.

Well, not hard facts, but Harry had dropped hints every so often about his life away from Hogwarts, however inadvertently. It was no secret to certain people that Harry hated leaving Hogwarts every year, and Hagrid had told many a harrowing tale about the night he rescued Harry from "Catchin' his death or summat in a muggle hut!". The others had laughed and perished the very thought of such a thing from their minds, but Remus had stayed after the whole affair and talked with Sirius, Molly, and even Minerva about the possibilities of truthfulness in Hagrid's claims.

They had all agreed after various inputs of scenarios and opinions, that Harry's relatives were something to be concerned with. Remus and Sirius both had cornered Albus and questioned and wheedled him for information, but the Headmaster would not be swayed.

Harry would stay with the Dursleys.

No matter their suspicions.

Remus scuffed his already worn shoe as he weighed the pros and cons of intercepting Harry's Aunt before she pulled out of Number Four's drive.

"To hell with it." he muttered, and broke of into a sprint, careful not to be seen or heard.

"Harry." He whispered, just as Harry stepped into the car.

"Shit!" Harry jumped, bashing the crown of his head against the top of the doorway.

"Shh!" Remus grabbed Harry's arm, shaking him a bit. "It's Remus! Shh!"

"Harry! What on earth-"

Remus shoved Harry, none to gently, into the vehicle, simultaneously slamming the door shut behind him. He whipped of the invisibility cloak, noticing with a burst of pride and a bit of apprehension, that Harry wand was already in his hand, and pointing straight at him.

"It's me, it's Remus." He raised his hands in surrender, purposely leaving his wand lying on the seat behind him. Briefly he registered the other two occupants of the car were staring at him in shock.

Harry gripped his wand tighter, his Adam's apple bobbing as he swallowed, "Prove it! Now!"

Remus complied readily, "I, Remus John Lupin, former teacher of Hogwarts, Werewolf, and one of those who collected you after a Dementor incident last summer to bring you to Number 12, Grimmauld Place. Have come to ask you, Harry Potter, why in Merlin's name you are leaving the house?"

Harry was still eying him speculatively.

"Not enough?" Questioned Remus, he smiled indulgently, another burst of pride coursing through him. "I also taught you to produce a corporeal patronus which takes the form of a stag, after your father James' animagus form, Prongs."

Harry lowered his wand, somewhat grudgingly, Remus thought.

"Oh alright, I had to check though, didn't I?"

Remus smile widened as Harry peered at him through over long fringe. "Yes you did, and I have to admit, I'm quite proud." Harry face lit up, and he grinned. Remus couldn't stop himself, completely ignoring Harry's Aunt and Cousin possible surveyors, he wrapped his arms around Harry's too thin form, pulling him into a warm hug.

Harry stiffened at first, but responded wholeheartedly after over coming his initial surprise. Remus let out a breathy laugh as Harry gripped the back of his robes and buried his face in his shoulder. Remus held his young friend tightly, rubbing one hand up and down his bony back, in a comforting gesture. He ignored the quiet sniffles issuing from his threadbare robes, he placed his hand against Harry's neck.

"I was worried about you." He whispered against Harry's hair, his breath ruffling it slightly. "I was-"

Remus pulled back sharply, frowning when Harry jolted from his arms like he feared he had overstayed his welcome. "Are you ill? You feel a bit... warm." He laid the back of his hand against Harry's neck, "You're burning up! He retrieved his wand, warding the car from prying eyes. "Come here."

Harry inched closer, eyebrows scrunched in consternation.

Remus laid his palm against Harry's forehead. The skin beneath his hand felt uncomfortably hot, like Remus himself usually felt around the time of the full moon. He looked his young friend over, disregarding the inevitable 'I'm fine'.

Harry did not look well at all.

His eyes were clouded and watery from headache or fever, probably both, his cheeks were flushed, and his nose was red from blowing. Remus' eyebrows drew together, tapping Harry's neck with his wand twice, he checked his temperature.

104

Anger roiled in his stomach. Remus turned to Harry's so-called family, the wolf inside him twitching and growling in irritation, "Are you aware, that your nephew is running a very HIGH FEVER!" Thankfully he had remembered to apply a silencing charm.

"What the HELL is wrong with you- you, if I were-"

"Remus, Re- Remus!"

Harry tugged him 'round by his sleeve.

"They're taking me to get checked! And I'm fine, really, we're going to a muggle doctor, and besides, it isn't a big deal, just a fever."

"Just a-" Surprisingly, the outrageous toned words came from Harry's Aunt, but Harry shot her comment down with a warning look, that made Remus feel distinctly uneasy.

"Harry, who is this man?" asked the horse-faced woman. Remus turned back to her, he had met Petunia once or twice before, she didn't look much different in his opinion, and she never held a candle to Lily's beauty. Pale, rheumy, grey eyes swept over his face, and Remus watched as recognition dawned on Petunia's face.

"Your that boy, L-Lily's friend! The one that came over with her husband." Petunia Dursley recoiled, visibly.

"Remus Lupin, I'm a friend of Harry's... and his parents. Lily and James. We saw each other once, in passing, though I don't believe Lily got the chance to introduce us as she couldn't seem to locate you."

It was a bold-faced lie and he knew it. He had heard Lily and Petunia fighting upstairs because Petunia had refused to associate with 'freaks'. He and James had only seen her when she had entered the kitchen to inform Lily in a snooty voice, that she would not be in the house, but at Vernon's for the remainder of the afternoon.

Remus watched as two pink patches appeared on Petunia's swallow cheeks. Good! She deserves to be embarrassed, after all the things she's done... hasn't done.

His gaze switched to Harry who was still clutching his sleeve and watching the scene before him with an anxious expression. He smiled disarmingly when Harry's eyes swiveled to his. "I'm afraid I must accompany you-" Remus ignored the whimpers from the front of the automobile. "You're not to leave the house actually, why didn't you write the Order?"

Harry flushed, ducking his head to stare intently at his knees.

"It's complicated, Remus." He muttered quietly, still staring at his knees. Harry relinquished his hold.

Remus frowned, and using his thumb and forefinger, turned Harry's face back to his. "Go on..."

"Erm, uh- Last week Aunt Petunia took me to the doctor and he said I might have..." Harry turned his head awkwardly in Remus' grip to glance at his Aunt.

"Hodkin's Lymphoma, it's a cancer."

000

Harry watched as Remus face remained frozen in confusion. He wondered vaguely if that had been his expression when Aunt Petunia and Dudley had explained it to him.

"I don't think its common in the wizarding world, it's a muggle disease, Remus."

His ex-professor's eyes jumped between Aunt Petunia and himself. "What does it... do?" Harry chuckled lightly at Remus' expense. "It.. well, I'm not too sure, actually. I've only just learned of it myself last night. Aunt Petunia got papers from the-"

"Mum, it's almost two." Dudley interrupted his jumbled explanation. "Oh! Oh, dear, we'll miss the appointment." Aunt Petunia twisted in her seat to peer into Harry's face. "We really should be going, we want to be sure of this, and you told us the swelling hadn't gone down."

Harry got the feeling she was trying to act as normal as possible, despite the fact that a full grown wizard sat in the back seat of Uncle Vernon's company car. He appreciated her effort.

"Remus, we have an appointment at a clinic to find out if I actually have... it, we're not sure. Do you think we can," he gestured toward the drive way.

Harry watched as Remus thought it over. This whole cancer thing was just to surreal, and Harry just didn't want Remus to know to much... come to think of it he didn't want anyone to know about it.

They would all treat him like some charity case! And besides, they weren't even sure if he had it.

Never the less, Harry had read the symptoms and he had quite a few.

"I can send a message to Tonks, she should be able to get here and watch the house. She's off duty today, I think. Just a moment." Remus rolled the car window down to about an inch, raising his wand. Harry saw out of the corner of his eye, both Dudley and Aunt Petunia flinch.

"Expecto Patronum!"

A silver shape erupted from the wand tip before disappearing completely, two seconds later there was a quiet pop, and what must have been a disillusioned Tonks, made her way up the drive.

Two sharp raps against the car door, "Wotcher Remus, got your message." she didn't remove her disillusionment, nor did she speak above a whisper.

"Harry's sick," replied Remus in an equally quiet voice, though he rolled the window down a bit more. "Some kind of muggle disease, Limera, something or other."

Harry breathed an inaudible sigh of relief. Good, Tonks was a half-blood, she might have known what it was and told the others.

Harry was sure Tonks was frowning, "Limera... ain't nothing I've ever heard of. Maybe you've got it wrong. Ah, well, you go on, I'll watch the house, is that Harry behind you?" Tonks let out a low whistle, "Better hurry, looks like he's gonna drop any second. Bye Harry!" There was a kissing noise, a blowing sound, and Harry realised that she must have blown him a kiss.

If his cheeks hadn't already been fever flushed, he was sure he would have put Ron's Weasley blush to shame.

Harry faced forward in his seat, suddenly feeling very tired. Aunt Petunia and Dudley were still craning their necks to stare at Remus and the now closed window, he would have laughed at their expressions, but the very thought of it made his head hurt. He hoped motion sickness wouldn't set in, he just could not handle that just now.

Harry closed his eyes, a small groan issuing from his mouth. A hammer was pounding inside his head, between his eyes. Harry let his head fall sideways against the window, shivering because of the air conditioning vent above his head that was now blowing on his neck.

Petunia turned the key in the ignition, wrinkling her nose as the engine revved. She had always hated that sound.

She glanced up to check on Harry through the review mirror, wincing in sympathy when she caught sight of his shivering form. He looked grey almost, well, aside from the unnatural flush on the cheek she could see. He had lost weight... too much weight. That was one of the side affects.

Harry had eaten a full meal three times a day, but despite her best efforts, he still looked half-starved. Her nephew's arms were wrapped around his middle, and Petunia feared he might be sick in the car. She worried her lip, shifting her foot to put more pressure on the gas pedal. The sooner they knew what Harry had, the sooner the could help him.

The man- Remus, seemed to know Harry very well, Petunia could not have helped the flash of jealously she felt when they had embraced. She had had years and years to do that, but she hadn't, she pushed him away. Blaming him for all the hardships of her life.

She looked up again, catching Remus' eye in the mirror. She wasn't surprised by the look of disgust he was directing at her, and she couldn't fault him for feeling that way.

She was disgusted herself. Disgusted with herself. Disgusted by the very thought of what she had done.

Petunia swallowed past the stickiness in her throat, suddenly feeling quite parched. Harry was running his hands up and down his arms, rubbing them. She cursed herself for not remembering sooner.

"Dudley dear, can you reach the blankets I brought for Harry? They're in the pocket in back of my seat." She was proud to note that her voice hadn't wavered.

Remus was fingering a wooden stick between his fingers, watching Harry with nervous concern, and Petunia had to resist the urge to screech at him to put the abnormal object away. She wasn't sure how to change her views of magic, but she was trying.

Harry deserved so much more from her.

Petunia kept her eyes on the road as she pulled into the busy highway, listening as Dudley and Remus tucked the knit blanket around her nephew.

000

Draco gulped nervously, following his mother's lead as she navigated them through a dingy neighborhood, he wasn't sure what he found more disconcerting. The neighborhood, or the fact that his mother seemed to know her way around quite well.

"Mother!" Whispered Draco urgently after narrowly avoiding another puddle of grimy looking water. Buggering hell! His shoes were made of the best dragon hide a person could buy! Not that he couldn't buy another pair instantly.

"Where the devil are we going?"

His mother waved her hand behind her, both beckoning him closer and shushing him. Draco resisted the urge to throw a fit. He hadn't thrown one for three years, and besides, mother had been rather short with him lately.

He blamed that on Father though, it looked to Draco as though he was picking the constant fights with Mother.

Honestly

Anyhow, Draco couldn't see that he cared one way or another, it wasn't like his parents had been brimming with love for each other. The didn't even sleep in the same room, for Merlin's sake!

Not that he knew of anyway, and they wouldn't file for divorce either, too disgraceful. The very thought made Draco reconsider the usefulness of three hour showers.

"Ugh! Honestly Mother what is this place, and who in all things magical would even consider living here!" Draco kept his voice low, speaking in scathing tones he usually saved for Potter and other dunderheads of the like.

"Hush, Draco, we're here."

Narcissa opened the short picket-like gate, ushering Draco forward. She herself could never understand why Severus chose to live so simply, but as she was asking for favors, situation called for discretion of opinions.

Narcissa raised her fist, and rapped on the door twice. She despised all this secrecy, but if the Dark Lord knew... Narcissa did not want to think about what the their lord would do if he discovered her actions.

She glanced at her son, Draco seemed unnaturally subdued now, as if he knew subterfuge was their game today. He was always a clever boy. Narcissa laid a hand on his shoulder, pulling him closer. He moved a little stiffly, but stood beside her all the same.

"Ah, Narcissa, come in. Quickly." Severus opened the door a bit wider, giving Narcissa a view of a carpeted hall with a doors on either wall and a staircase at the end. The inside of her son's godfather's home didn't look nearly as devastating as the outside. It made her feel a smidgen less guilty about her deceit.

Draco resisted the urge to run from the room, books lined the shelves (granted they looked very interesting), the sofas were positively garish, the wall to wall rug, abhorrent, and he didn't even want to think of the horribly ancient looking coffee tables.

He shuddered, imperceptibly of course, Severus was helping him, and somewhere in Draco's mind he knew he was grateful.

"-shall see, Narcissa, if that is all? You must understand the risks in question for me to undertake such a, ah, task."

Draco's nose flared, the only visible sign that his Godfather's statement had affected him. A task? A million insults came to mind, all of them crude and derogatory, words Draco was sure spewed out of Gryffindor slime on a regular basis. He held them in, Mother had warned him to keep quiet and he would.

But Draco couldn't ignore the hurt blooming in his chest.

"Then it is settled, Draco will stay with me. I have quarters at Hogwarts, of course. We must bide our time Narcissa, and wait until the last possible moment."

"I understand." Draco watched his mother clasp Severus' hands and press her lips to them in gratitude.

000

"Now if you'll just step up here, there we go, that's it. Hmm, 7stone, 152.56, alright love, go ahead and step down."

Harry stepped of the scale, grabbing his shoes from the floor and taking a seat beside the counter, while the nurse took notes on the back of his sign in form. He held in a sigh of disappointment.

152.56cm

He hadn't even grown a little bit!

And he's lost wait, but Harry chose to ignore that.

"Arm, dear."

Harry extended his left arm, watching interestedly as she wrapped a sleeve around his bicep to check his blood pressure, and trying not to flinch when it constricted. The machine standing in front of the small computer counter, beeped when it finished and the pressure was gone.

"A bit low, but nothing to worry about..." The nurse murmured to herself. Harry glanced at her face, he hadn't quite seen her before because he'd been alternating between staring at his shoes and the floor. But now that he looked he had to admit, she was quite pretty. Like Tonks minus the barmy faces.

She looked down at him, smiling brightly, but Harry promptly turned pink and averted his gaze.

"Just one more thing, love, go ahead and rest your arm on the table, there we go." The nurse, (Harry wished he knew her name), placed two fingers over his wrist, right beneath his thumb, tapping her watch and counting under her breath as she checked his pulse.

"All done, go on, back to the waiting room." She smiled again. Harry was beginning to think it was the nurses job to make the patients feel as comfortable as possible... before the other shoe dropped. "Your name will be called when Doctor Farris is ready for you."

Harry yanked his shoes on, foregoing the laces. Suddenly the nurse did not seem so appealing, Harry paused in his shoe yanking to cough into the arm of his shirt. She was playing with him... they weren't telling him yet, they were lulling him into a false sense of security.

Harry stood, all but stomping back into the waiting room where Remus, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley were sitting. He shoved his hands in his pockets, scowling when the constant tickle in his throat intensified. Harry yanked his arms back out just in time for another coughing fit.

This time Harry did sigh.

Miserable. That's what his life was. Miserable.

One big, fat blob of miserableness.

Was that even a word?

He flopped into the plastic chair between Remus and Aunt Petunia, slouching as far as possible and leaning his head against the back of the chair, he closed his eyes. Willing everyone around him to shut up. His brain was pounding in his damn ears for God's sake.

If Harry's eyes were open he would have seen Aunt Petunia and Remus exchange concerned looks.

But they weren't, and Harry was already drifting, losing his grip on reality. He curled in on himself, floating.

"Harry... Harry."

"Unnggh." Why couldn't he be left alone. Harry tried rolling over, patting around with a hand in search of a blanket. Tried...

He fell right of his bed, onto a strangely soft pillow like surface... it was a bit hard, scratchy even. Someone was shaking his shoulder, and Harry tried to yank himself from the irritating grip. He rubbed his face against the scratchy material beneath him, yawning.

"Harry, it's time to wake up."

"M' tired," he mumbled, but opened his eyes anyway. As it turned out the scratchy, somewhat soft surface was Remus' trousers, and his bed was an uncomfortable plastic chair. They were still in the clinic, much to Harry's displeasure.

He avoided Remus' eyes, choosing instead to glance awkwardly at Aunt Petunia, who returned his look with an equally awkward smile.

"The doctor is ready for you, H- Harry." She was still knew to saying his name, if Harry wasn't so out of it, he would have laughed.

Dudley stayed in the waiting room, but Remus and Aunt Petunia followed to room three where the nurse led them.

The chairs in here were definitely more comfortable, thought Harry idly as he took his seat beside another computer occupied counter, the same nurse from earlier typing away on the keyboard. He supposed she was updating his file... or creating a new one. Harry wasn't quite sure how these things went, one way or another.

He just wanted them to hurry up and tell him the truth.

The door opened, revealing a tall, middle aged man, with neatly combed brown hair, the man wore a white over coat like thing, with two pockets and a stethoscope around his neck. He looked much like Dr. Eccles, and Harry wondered why they couldn't have done all this during the last trip.

He supposed they specialized in cancer here. The thought made Harry's throat run dry and his mouth turn cottony.

He did not- could not, have it.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw Remus' hand slip into his coat pocket, his hand, no doubt, forming a fist over his wand. The sight made Harry smile, relief, he thought it was. Remus still liked him, even after what Harry had done to Sirius.

"Ah, you must be Petunia," the doctor extended a hand to grip Petunia's in a hearty shake. Brilliant, just what Harry needed, another jolly soul. "And this must be Harry! Hello, lad." Doctor Whatever-His-Name-Was, Harry noticed, did not shake his hand, instead he pat Harry's shoulder in a somewhat bracing manner. It made Harry feel slightly better, maybe the doctor wasn't going to be all smiles and watered down stories. Or maybe he just did not want to catch Harry's germs by shaking his hand.

"Doctor Farris, I'm a specialist, also a cousin of the pediatrician who sent you here." Ah, well, that explained the resemblance, Harry thought as Doctor Farris shook Remus' hand as well.

The nurse, this time Harry caught her name, Elaina, was briefing the doctor on Harry's file. It seemed that he hadn't had a file, which was why it was taking so long to dig up his medical history.

"Alright, well, it seems were going to have to start from the beginning." Doctor Farris took a seat before the computer, Nurse Elaina having exited after the briefing.

"Full Name?"

"Harry James Potter." His voice sounded hoarse and scratchy as it had been for the past month. Proof that there was something wrong with him that wasn't just a cold.

"Parents or Guardians?"

"Petunia Evans Dursley." Harry looked at Aunt Petunia in surprise, she hadn't said Vernon's name so he supposed she must have whole guardianship. He stiffened when the doctor eyed Remus curiously, but relaxed a bit when he went back to questioning.

"Age?"

"Sixteen, this July." Sixteen, Harry decided, sounded much better than fifteen.

"Date of birth?"

"July 31st, 1980."

"School?"

Surreptitiously, Harry glanced at Remus, but was again surprised by Aunt Petunia's quick response. She must have been thinking about this in the waiting room, he mused silently.

"A boarding school in Scotland, he spends the year there which is why I haven't any records here. Harry is seldom sick, you see."

For once, Aunt Petunia's lies didn't make his blood boil, she hadn't said anything about Saint Brutus's and for that, Harry would be eternally grateful.

"Ah, I see. Is there anyway I can receive this records. It helps to know what a patient has been through, a little history of past injuries and ailments." Doctor Farris nodded to himself, his fingers drumming the letters on the keyboard.

Aunt Petunia looked perplexed, but Remus cleared his throat, scooting forward in his seat a bit. "I am sure I can obtain them for you, when would you like them exactly?" he asked cordially.

"Sooner rather than later, thanks. And you are?"

"Remus Lupin, I'm a counselor from Harry's school."

The doctor frowned but said nothing.

"You look like you've lost quite a bit of weight there, Harry. It says here you weigh seven stone. Ninety-eight pounds is a little under weight for a sixteen year old and growing teen." Doctor Farris peered at Harry, blue eyes narrowed as he scrutinized him. Harry squirmed uncomfortably, and Aunt Petunia shifted in her chair.

"I- I've been eating regular meals, I just don't seem to be gaining anything." he mumbled quietly. That was one of the symptoms, it was on the brochure.

Harry was more than a little peeved when the doctor looked to Aunt Petunia for confirmation. He could take care of himself just fine, thank you very much!

Harry could feel Remus' gaze burning in the side of his head, but he steadfastly ignored it. Remus must be very confused about all this, but Harry just did not think he had the strength to enlighten his friend.

Bloody wuss, he was. A bloody tired wuss.

"Hmm, for how long have you been sick? Can you tell me exactly what you've been feeling?"

Too many bleeding questions.

"Ah, about three weeks. Erm, dizziness, sore throat, head ache... er, oh, cough, runny nose, nausea. I think that's it." A featherlight touch on his arm made Harry turn from Doctor Farris' thoughtful expression. Remus was staring at him, brown eyes wide with concern and sympathy. Harry managed a weak smile, sniffling a bit. Remus pulled out a hankerchief, handing it to Harry, and rubbed his back comfortingly.

The Doctor swiveled in his chair, facing Harry full on, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. He propped his chin against his clasped hands.

He appeared to be considering something, the look made Harry nervous.

"Your lymph nodes are swollen, aren't they?"

Harry's heart pounded in his throat, he nodded silently.

"Nightly sweats? Fever? Stomach or back hurt? Itchy skin? Unexplainable fatigue?"

Harry's throat constricted, how did he know?

"Harry, shh, it's alright, shh..."

Remus was rubbing his back more vigorously, his hand dancing between massaging his neck and needing the knots in Harry's shoulders.

Only then did Harry realise he was well on the way to hyperventilating, his hands clenched the sides of his seat, his breathing coming in erratic pants. His vision was cloudy around the edges, and Harry couldn't decide whether or not he was going to upend his stomach on his shoes or on his lap.

Aunt Petunia was kneeling in front of him now, the doctor and Remus at either side of him. They were closing in. Whispering in his ears. The blood was draining from his head, his aching, pounding head. Millions of tiny hammers slamming behind his eyes.

Too close, too close.

His vision blurred over completely.

"Oh God-"

Shoes it is then.

Harry slumped forward pitching off the chair, barely managing to fall on his hands and knees as his stomach turned itself inside out, and he heaved bile all over the tiled floor.

His throat seared, but coughing and vomiting didn't seem to mix very well.

Tears stung in his eyes.

He didn't hear Aunt Petunia's unearthly shriek, nor did he see the Doctor cross the room and yank the door open, shouting for a nurse.

He didn't feel Remus' hand on his back, the quiet support withstanding even this.

Harry heaved one last time before collapsing sideways into a coughing, sniffling heap in Remus' steady arms. The world disappeared, and Harry's eyes slid shut.

0000

"Do you think he'll be alright?" fretted Petunia, wringing her hands, worry etched in her pale eyes.

"I'm sure he'll be fine, Mrs. Dursley I understand this came as a shock to him, he may have been in denial." Doctor Farris placed his hands on Petunia's shoulders, ducking his head to look straight into her face. "This happens often, Mrs. Dursley, but it's under control, your son will be fine."

"Nephew."

Both Petunia and Doctor Farris turned to Remus, who had just entered the room adjacent to Harry's. "He's her nephew. Not her son."

Remus watched as Harry's aunt turned red, whether it was embarrassment or shame, he didn't know.

"Ah, my apologies Mrs. Dursley, I didn't-"

"It's fine doctor." Petunia stepped away from the awkward amendment and the man speaking. She'd never considered Harry her son, she barely considered him her nephew. She didn't deserve him anyway.

Much less hysterical, Petunia asked, "When will he wake? Doctor Eccles said there would be some tests... to be certain about the, ah...?"

"Cancer? If you won't come to terms with it, Mrs. Dursley, neither will he."

"That's just it! What the bloody hell is this all about?"

Petunia closed her eyes, willing herself not to say something scathing. Did the man have no sense of discretion!

"Sir, you're going to need to calm down, your... student is lying in the next room, do you want to wake him?" Remus breathed deeply, dropping into one of the coloured chairs in the corner of the room. He needed to contact Albus, right after he figured this whole bleeding mess out.

"Now, am I to assume that neither of you are fully aware of what type of cancer Harry has or the possible treatments?"

Both Remus and Petunia shook their heads, eyes wide.

Doctor Farris frowned and gestured towards Remus' current seat, "Have a seat Mrs. Dursley."

Petunia sat.

"Well, from Harry's side affects, the fever, sinus cold, weight loss, they all point to a cancer called Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma."

Remus wasn't sure what to think, it was all so confusing... he knew he should have taken muggle studies.

"There are different stages, and we won't know exactly what Harry has until we test him. He may not even have Hodgkin's at all, but I warn you, from what I've seen that possibility is highly unlikely."

"When you say test...?"

Remus did not want to ask, but he had to know.

"First there would be a physical exam, checking for swollen lymph nodes in the neck, arm, and groin-"

The doctor paused when Petunia squeaked, his brows drew together, but he refrained from commenting.

"As I was say, if we find that Harry's lymph nodes are indeed swollen, a biopsy, an extraction of tissue from his lymph nodes, is one. There are several others and even more we have to do if we find that it is cancer..." The doctor let out an explosive breath.

"I'll just tell you right now, Mrs. Dursley. None of this is going to be easy, not for Harry, not for you, not for any of Harry's friends or other relatives either. But you need to remember, Harry is going to be sick. He is going to be weak, and you and your husband are going to have to support him."

Doctor Farris was leaning forward, ticking off a finger for each thing listed.

"Every step of the way."

"What is it that happens... if he has Hodg- Hogdkin's. What does it do, exactly?

Some remote recess of Remus' mind considered how stupid he must sound, he had never thought himself brilliant in school, but now he sounded down right idiotic.

Doctor Farris was quick to answer.

"In non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma or NHL, either abnormal cells in the lymphatic system divide and grow without order or control, or old cells don't die normally. You see, Lymphatic tissue is present in many areas of the body, so it can start almost anywhere. We just won't be sure until we run through a couple of tests."

Remus nodded, at least some of this was making sense.

"Now, it may occur in a single lymph node, or it may occur in a group, it can spread to your bone marrow, your spleen, and your liver. So I would say the sooner we test young Harry the better. Over time lymphoma cells may replace the normal cells in the bone marrow. Bone marrow failure results in the inability to produce red blood cells that carry oxygen, white blood cells that fight infection, and platelets that stop bleeding."

Petunia felt like she had just taken a crash course in health, but she did her best to absorb the information anyway.

000

The physical exam, Harry thought, was decidedly disturbing. The doctor probed and poked him all over. Or it seemed so to Harry anyway. As it turned out, the only swollen bits he had were in his left armpit and the two in his neck.

He currently sat waiting atop a sterilized table, swinging his legs as he waited for Doctor Farris and the nurse Elaina. They said something about a bubopsy, or something equally barmy. When they'd explained what it was, Harry had been to focused on the fact that they were going to shove a needle into some part of his body.

Needles... he hadn't had a shot since the primary school, and that was only because it was required.

The only thing Harry could recall was the sharp sting and the quiet tears that had slipped down his cheeks. The nurse who had given him the shot hadn't seemed to care that nobody in his 'family' had stayed with him. Harry had cared, in fact he had cried about it later, when he was alone in his cupboard.

Harry kicked his feet again, gritting his teeth against his annoyance. Sometimes he wanted to rail at Aunt Petunia. She sat across from him now, right next to Remus, not even a tremor betraying any fear of wizards she had.

It made him sick most times, other times he just wanted all of it to work out.

Remus smiled at him encouragingly, he had told Harry earlier that after the test they would contact Dumbledore. Much to Harry's dismay, but it had to be done. After all, if the 'Boy-Who-Lived' was dying of some muggle disease, the head of the Order must know.

Harry held back a snort at his own melodrama, Snape would be happy, I'm finally living up to his expectations.

Harry sighed, he was convinced the bloody clinic was driving him out of his tree. Thinking of Snape during summer, what the effing hell was wrong with him.

Harry sat up straight as Doctor Farris walked in, Nurse Elaina beside him holding a little green tray with a needle and syringe on top.

"Now this will only take a second, then we can send in the sample. The results will be here in about a days time, and you can go home and have a nice sleep, hmm?"

Sleep

That was exactly what Harry wanted.

He watched warily as the nurse prepped and the doctor washed his hands, both donning a pair of white, rubber gloves before coming towards him. White masks already covering their faces. Harry swallowed convulsively, he breathed deeply, another break down was not something he wanted right now.

"Just remove your shirt, dear." Nurse Elaina's voice came out muffled, but her words were entirely too clear in Harry's opinion.

Tentatively he reached for the hem of his T-shirt, pulling it up and sliding the soft cotton over his head, shivering as cold air blew against his bared skin. He wrapped his arms around his middle, self-consciously.

"Lay back now, there we go, left arm up."

Harry was beginning to wonder if this whole experience would get anymore humiliating. Nurse Elaine leaned over him, swiping the skin over his swollen lymph node with a alcohol soaked cotton swab.

Apparently it could.

"All ready?"

The nurse nodded to Doctor Farris.

"All right now Harry, just relax, it'll be over before you know it."

Remus and Aunt Petunia stood from their seats to stand by his side, Remus gripped the fingers of his right hand, Nurse Elaina was holding down his left.

Needles, Harry decided, were an absolutely abhorrent creation.

But the doctor was right, and it was over before he knew it. Though it seemed long during...

No matter, it was over now.

Uncle Vernon's company car rode smoothly over the asphalt, Aunt Petunia had reclined his chair, Remus sat at his side, still holding his hand, the knit blanket from Dudley was soft and warm, and Harry slept.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2670