Session Transcripts by lastcrazyhorn
Past Featured StorySummary: What happens when a brain damaged Harry and a transgender Hermione both get sorted into Slytherin? Snape's not sure, but he thinks it's likely to be an interesting term. This story follows various first years through the trials of their first year
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Prompts: Minor Canon Character, Barrier to learning
Challenges: Minor Canon Character, Barrier to learning
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 131482 Read: 179155 Published: 31 Oct 2011 Updated: 09 Jul 2017
Week 6 by lastcrazyhorn

‘Dear Severus,’

‘I actually prefer to work with children as opposed to adults in the field of mind magic.  Their minds are far more pliable and responsive than many adults’ are.  Is this an official invitation to Hogwarts?  Let me know.’

‘Hadwyn’

. . .

07 October, 1991
Dumbledore’s Office, Staff Meeting

“If we might come to order, professors,” Dumbledore’s twinkling visage stared down the table at which all of his teachers sat.   

The conversations on either side of Severus immediately stilled and he felt relieved at the sudden hush. 

“I am pleased that each of the four houses have continued to hold regular sessions with all of our first years.  Except for a few irregularities, I believe that this is the smoothest beginning to a year we have ever had,” Dumbledore said, before pausing, as though he expected some kind of argument or discussion.

Of course, he does know us fairly well, Severus thought, none too quietly.  From the brief smile that passed over his employer’s face, he would assume that his thought had been picked up on. 

“Severus,” Dumbledore said then, turning in his direction with an overly enthusiastic smile.

Severus felt his innards still in anticipation to his employer’s sudden attention.

“Tell us your progress with Ms. Granger.”

“Anyone who has read the transcripts of our sessions should be able to see very clearly what kind of progress I have made,” Severus answered testily.

“Ah, but those transcripts have only been made available to the other heads of houses,” Dumbledore revealed, causing Severus to raise an eyebrow in mute surprise. 

Well, that’s certainly one less thing to worry about. 

“Does that mean that you do not have access to them?”  Severus asked, rather bluntly for the people sitting around him. 

“Well, I do, but—,” Dumbledore began to say, his eyes dimming slightly. 

“Then you should have clarified,” Severus interjected. 

“This is beside the point,” Dumbledore deflected, the twinkle in his eyes flaring up brightly. 

Severus stared unflinchingly back at Dumbledore until someone nervously cleared their throat, effectively breaking the spell between them.  Severus lifted a corner of his mouth and nodded slightly at his employer, silently conceding the point—for now. 

“Ms. Granger, although most certainly a cause for concern, is far safer here than she would be at home.  Her parents, whom I have plans to meet with sometime this week, are not equipped to deal with the subtle and complex levels of her undeniable distress.”  

“You do not deny that she is in distress then, Severus?”  Poppy asked, turning calculating eyes in his direction. 

“I think that is one thing with which we can all be in agreement on,” Severus said, turning and making brief eye contact with Filius, Pomona and Minerva. 

“And you think that her parents are incapable of recognizing such a threat?” Poppy asked, her eyes unwavering from his own.  “Would you say that are incapable of any other such necessities in the girl’s life?”

“It is uncertain at this point; hence the reason for a physical visit.” 

Poppy nodded in understanding, letting his answer stand.  However, Severus had little doubt that the woman would begin asking her own questions soon enough if his visit proved less than enlightening. 

. . .

Date:  08 October, 1991
House:  Hufflepuff
Student Name:  Morag MacDougal

Sprout:  Any more strangeness from Ms. Granger this week? 

Morag:  No.  History of Magic went back to boring again. 

Sprout:  And your sister? 

Morag:  Studying a lot.  Now that I’m not there, she finally gets to have all of our parents’ attention, but she told me in a letter that it’s not really as great as she had thought it would be. 

Sprout:  [She smiles knowingly].  I suspect not.  Attention works two ways, not just one. 

Morag:  Yeah, she said that Mum has gotten really critical of her lately, and that even dad is finally taking a notice.

Side note:  ‘And does he not normally take notice of you and your sister?’

Sprout:  Does your father work a lot?

Morag:  Well, he has to.  Mum quit her job when she had us, and a few years ago she had a miscarriage—oh!  Please don’t tell her I said that.  I’m not supposed to talk about it. 

Sprout:  Certainly not, dear. 

Morag:  I think—I think that my mum had planned to go back to work, but then that happened and she isn’t quite over it.

Sprout:  And how long ago was this, exactly?

Morag:  Um, about four years, I think. 

End notes:  Four years after a miscarriage and Mrs. MacDougal has still not moved past that time?  I wonder if Morag is aware of how unusual that is.

. . .

Date:  08 October, 1991
House:  Hufflepuff
Student Name:  Hannah Abbott

Sprout:  How is this week going? 

Hannah:  Did you hear that William Cadwallader made the Hufflepuff Quidditch team? 

Sprout:  I did hear that.  [She smiles].  Chaser, isn’t he? 

Hannah:  And as a 2nd year too!  Isn’t that exciting? 

Sprout:  Very.

Hannah:  Oh, and I made an Exceeds Expectations on my paper for Professor Snape!

Side note:  ‘One could argue that every paper turned in for you Severus is Exceeds Expectations.  You don’t expect much out of my first years, do you?’

Sprout:  Congratulations!  What was the topic?

Hannah:  He asked us to discuss all of the possible methods of preparation for the ingredients that we’ve used so far this year.  He told the whole class that my paper was the best!

Sprout:  And how did your classmates respond? 

Hannah:  Well, the Hufflepuffs all congratulated me, even Justin—that’s good, don’t you think?  That means that he’s getting more comfortable being part of the house, don’t you think so?  [Her eyes are wide as she waits for Sprout’s answer]. 

Sprout:  That’s very good.  [She says with an encouraging smile].  What of the Ravenclaws?  How did they respond to Professor Snape’s announcement?

Hannah:  Oh, you know how they are.

Sprout:  What do you mean?

Hannah:  They’re so smart, but they’re pretty obvious when they’re angry about something.  That’s why Ernie walked me to my next class.

Sprout:  Oh my!  [She puts a hand to her heart].  Were you afraid they were going to react in a violent way?

Side note:  ‘Filius, this is why competition isn’t necessarily a good thing.’

Hannah:  Well, did you hear that Lisa Turpin hexed the Patil sisters yesterday in Defence Against the Dark Arts? 

Sprout:  [She gasps].  I had not heard that.  Why ever did she do such a thing?

Hannah:  She said that Parvati was a cheat for answering Professor Quirrell’s question correctly.  She said that there was no way some stupid Gryffindor would know an answer when none of the Ravenclaws knew it.  And her curse hit Padma too because they always sit so close together. 

Sprout:  And who did you hear this from? 

Hannah:  I overheard Sabrina Fawcett telling Michael Corner about it.

Sprout:  Shouldn’t Mr. Corner have been in that particular class?

Hannah:  Well, he would have been, but he spent the afternoon in the infirmary after Brocklehurst accidentally transfigured his arm into a pincushion.

Side note:  ‘Filius – perhaps Ms. Brocklehurst could use a visit to the optometrist?’

Sprout:  Is Mr. Corner recovered now? 

Hannah:  Oh yeah.  Madame Pomfrey fixed him right up. 

Sprout:  And what of the Patils?

Hannah:  I heard from Ron Weasley that they had to spend the night in the infirmary, but he didn’t know any details except for the fact that all of Parvati’s hair had fallen out.

Sprout:  Oh dear.

End notes:  ‘You look to be having a very interesting week this time around, Filius. I can’t say that I envy you.’

Date:  08 October, 1991
House:  Hufflepuff
Student Name:  Justin Finch-Fletchley

Sprout:  Ms. Abbott seemed very pleased that you congratulated her on her Potions’ paper. 

Justin:  [He turns slightly pink and mumbles something incomprehensible]. 

Sprout:  What was that?

Justin:  Well, she deserved it.  I mean, if Professor Snape is impressed, then there has to be a reason. 

Sprout:  Ah, quite right.  Tell me, were the Ravenclaws acting menacing towards Hannah after Professor Snape’s class? 

Justin:  [He nods and chews on his lower lip briefly].  They were saying some mean stuff about her too.

Sprout:  What sort of things? 

Justin:  You know, the sort of things that Ravenclaws say about Hufflepuffs . . .

Side note:  ‘I do know, but I’d like to hear them from your own mouth.’

Sprout:  What sorts of things are these? 

Justin:  [He shifts nervously in his chair].  Well, things like how Hufflepuffs are just duffers that don’t fit anywhere. And how Hufflepuff was made to fit the leftovers—the stupid leftovers.  [His cheeks pink angrily at the thought]. 

Sprout:  You know that’s untrue, don’t you?

Justin:  [He swiftly nods].  Just because I’m don’t have to study every minute of every day to feel good about myself, doesn’t mean that I don’t study and that I don’t know how to think. 

Sprout:  [She smiles gently].  Well said, Mr. Finch-Fletchley.  Though of course, I’d be careful about whom I said that in front of. 

Justin:  Of course. [He said with a stiff nod]. 

End notes:  ‘There’s our badger fighting spirit!’

. . .

Date:  09 October, 1991
House:  Ravenclaw
Student Name:  Lisa Turpin

Flitwick:  We did not have time to speak at length on Monday, but I want you to now explain to me exactly what happened in your Defence Against the Dark Arts class.

Lisa:  [Her face instantly turns bright red].  It’s not a big deal.

Flitwick:  I beg to differ.  Your magic caused the Patil twins to spend the night in the infirmary and lost Ravenclaw twenty points.  Now, I want to know exactly what happened.

Side note:  ’10 points for each of them, Quirinus?’

Lisa:  [She huffs angrily].  She’s a liar, that Patil girl!

Flitwick:  [He raises his eyebrows at her outburst].  Which one precisely are you referring to?

Lisa:  Parvati!

Flitwick:  And why do you say that?

Lisa:  There’s no way she could have known that answer.  No one in the class did. 

Flitwick:  Is it not possible that—?

Lisa:  [Interrupting].  No!  Parvati doesn’t even own a Defence book!  She shares her sister’s! 

Flitwick:  [He gives a soft sigh]. What was the question about?

Lisa:  Professor Quirrell asked if anyone knew how many sub-branches were in the department of underage magic!  It’s only mentioned once in our index, and all it says there is that we’re to refer to the second year DADA textbook. 

Flitwick:  What was the answer Ms. Patil gave in class? 

Lisa:  [She frowns].  She said there were six. 

Flitwick:  Given that my memory of the structures within the Ministry of Magic are a bit fuzzy, I must ask, was that the right answer? 

Lisa:  Well, yes, but—.

Flitwick:  [He interrupts].  And you did not look this answer up until after this class?

Lisa:  [She glares back at him].  Professor Quirrell made me write it out by hand one hundred times during my detention with him. 

Side note:  ‘Ah, I see your point.  Not likely to forget it anytime soon, are you?’

Flitwick:  Now, explain to me exactly how Ms. Patil was cheating?

Side note:  ‘From what you heard, Pomona, I’m not entirely sure I want to hear what she’s about to say.’

Lisa:  There’s no way she could have known it when none of us did.

Side note:  ‘Ravenclaws?  Oh dear.’

Flitwick:  Us?

Lisa:  Ravenclaws.  Parvati’s a Gryffindor.  There’s no way she could have known the answer when even her own sister didn’t know.

Flitwick:  [He frowns].  I must say, that is certainly judgmental of you to say such a thing. 

Lisa:  [Snarling].  With all due respect professor, you don’t know the first year Gryffindors very well.  I don’t know how they are in the other years, but the ones in my classes are dumber than a bag of rocks.  They’re dumber than that Slytherin boy, Crabbe something or other.  They’re slower than a sack of Flobberworms.  They’re—.

Flitwick:  [He holds a weary hand up in interruption]. Yes, I get the point.  Perhaps Ms. Patil had outside experience with the department of underage magic?

Lisa:  [She gives him a haughty look].  Outside experience that her identical twin sister didn’t have?

Flitwick:  It is possible.  That aside, there was no reason to hex them.  I am rather disappointed in your lack of self-control. 

Lisa:  [Crossing her arms].  It wasn’t like I decided to hex them.  I was just so angry.  My magic just got the better of me. 

Flitwick:  [He gives another sigh].  I suppose you will know better next time. 

Lisa:  [She gives a non-committal grunt].

Flitwick:  And to make sure you don’t forget this experience too quickly, I am also assigning you a week’s worth of detention with Professor Snape.

Lisa:  No!  [Her eyes are suddenly wide].  You can’t do that!

Flitwick:  Can’t I?  [He raises an eyebrow, but his eyes are flashing with a quiet violence.]

Lisa:  I mean—why can’t I have detention with you? 

Side note:  ‘A Slytherin you are not, my dear.  Neither could you be a Hufflepuff, considering that you hexed one of your own.’

Flitwick:  I fear that you would not learn the necessary lesson with me.  I want to make sure you remember that it is not acceptable to hex other students merely because you are angry with them—particularly when you have no proof

Lisa:  [Pouting].

Flitwick:  I may be kinder than some of the other professors, but I am not a pushover.  Your pitiful demeanour will win you no points here. 

End notes:  ‘Despite the less than optimal argument she tried to give me, I must admit that she does have a bit of a point.  How did Ms. Patil know the answer when even her sister did not?’

. . .

Date:  09 October, 1991
House:  Ravenclaw
Student Name:  Sabrina Fawcett

Flitwick:  How has your past week gone?

Sabrina:  It’s . . . been interesting.

Flitwick:  I can imagine.  Would you care to elaborate?

Sabrina:  Well, I’m roommates with both Lisa and Padma, and I really think they’re going to hex each other in their sleep sometime soon. 

Flitwick:  Oh dear.  Perhaps it would be advisable to separate you girls into two rooms.

Sabrina:  No!  Don’t do that!

Flitwick:  Why ever not, child?

Sabrina:  I don’t want to be stuck with just Padma or Lisa for a roommate.  I mean, Padma would probably be okay, but then Mandy would be stuck with Lisa, and I don’t want her to be stuck with her either. 

Flitwick:  [He has a thoughtful expression].  If I weren’t worried for their safety, I’d almost think putting both Ms. Patil and Ms. Turpin into a room together might be beneficial.

Sabrina:  [She shakes her head in the negative].  It’s a bad idea, professor. That’s like sticking a Gryffindor and Slytherin in a room together and making them be friends.

Flitwick:  [He raises an eyebrow]. 

Sabrina:  Madame Pomfrey had to regrow all of Padma and Parvati’s hair.  And they have really long hair.  And the only thing that Lisa says to Padma is “Cheater!” and all Padma ever says back is, “I didn’t cheat, you little twit!”

Flitwick:  Hm.  Well, thank you for bringing this to my attention. 

Sabrina:  [She sighs].  You’re welcome. 

End notes:  ‘I may need one of your extra strength headache draughts by the end of this week, Severus.’

. . .

Date:  09 October, 1991
House:  Ravenclaw
Student Name:  Michael Corner

Flitwick:  I imagine that you’ve had a rather interesting time this past week.

Michael:  [He nods].  Remind me never to piss—er, annoy Lisa.  She’s scary with a wand!

Flitwick:  That she seems to be, lad.  [He nods in return].  Have you seen any more trouble between them since the Patil girls were released from the infirmary? 

Michael:  Well . . . they’re refusing to sit on the same side of the room during classes, and that’s pretty intense.  [He scratches the side of his neck thoughtfully].  Lisa’s been asking rather snotty questions of her all week too. 

Flitwick:  Such as?

Michael:  Like, when we turn in our assignments for a class, Lisa hisses to Padma something about, “You sure you did this one by yourself?  Or did you cheat here too?” 

Flitwick:  Oh dear.  On a different note, how have your classes been progressing regarding Ms. Granger? 

Michael:  I think I almost prefer her to Lisa.  I mean, Granger’s kind of scary and weird and stuff, but at least I know what sorts of things to do not to set her off.

Flitwick:  And those are?

Michael:  As long as I don’t make eye contact with her or try to say anything to her, then she pretty well leaves me alone. 

Flitwick:  That may be the best solution at present.  Thank you for letting me know. 

Michael:  You’re welcome, sir. 

Flitwick:  And how is your arm?

Michael:  My arm sir?  [A look of incomprehension is upon his face].

Flitwick:  Ms. Fawcett informed me that you had to go to Madame Pomfrey because Ms. Brocklehurst accidentally transfigured your arm into a pincushion.

Michael:  [He laughs].  Oh that.  I had forgotten all about that.  Madame Pomfrey fixed me right up, sir.  I was only there for an hour or less. 

Flitwick:  That is very good news indeed!

End notes:  ‘Perhaps I shall assign Ms. Turpin some more detention with you Severus.’

. . .

Date:  10 October, 1991
House:  Gryffindor
Student Name:  Ronald Weasley

McGonagall:  What can you tell me about what happened in DADA on Monday?

Ron:  [He rolls his eyes dramatically and sighs].  That Lisa Turpin is something else.  When Padma got the answer right, I thought Lisa’s head was going to explode.

McGonagall:  Hold on.  [She raises a hand to stop Ron from speaking].  I thought I heard that it was Parvati who got the answer right?

Ron:  [A look of confusion passes over his face].  I thought . . . [His eyes clench in thought].  I guess you’re right.  That makes sense that Lisa would go so crazy over the idea of a Gryffindor getting something right when a Ravenclaw didn’t, but I really did think I saw Padma answer the question. 

Side note:  ‘Curious and curiouser.’

McGonagall:  They are rather identical. 

Ron:  Yeah, that’s probably it.  [He looks unconvinced].

End notes:  ‘I think my conversation with Ms. Patil this week shall be a rather interesting one.’

. . .

Date:  10 October, 1991
House:  Gryffindor
Student Name:  Neville Longbottom

McGonagall:   How have your classes gone this week?

Neville:  You mean, other than when Lisa hexed the Patil sisters? 

McGonagall:  [She smiles].  You can speak about that if you wish. 

Neville:  [Shaking his head].  Ravenclaws really are a mess.  I think my gran was one, and if she wasn’t, then she sure does get along well with them. 

McGonagall:  Actually, I believe that she was a Ravenclaw.  And why precisely are Ravenclaws a mess?  It’s not that I don’t believe you [she smiles again], but I want to hear your reasons.

Neville:  They have to be right.  And even if they aren’t right, then they still try to make other people think that they are.  It’s so . . . [he stops, unable to decide on a word].

McGonagall:  Annoying?  Frustrating?  [She raises an eyebrow and leans back in her chair].   Infuriating?

Neville:  Yeah, infuriating.  [He nods].  [He nods, and then grimaces as something suddenly occurs to him].  Then again, Ravenclaws are not the only ones who can be like that.

Side note:  ‘No, they are not.  Very insightful, Mr. Longbottom.’

McGonagall:  No?

Neville:  Gryffindors are like that a lot too. 

McGonagall:  Anyone in particular?

Neville:  Lavender.  Sometimes Ron.  Some of the older Gryffindors too, but I don’t know all of their names.  [He shrugs].

McGonagall:  And what do you think of Hufflepuffs, Mr. Longbottom?

Neville:  They’re pretty nice.  Hannah always smiles at me, and so does Ernie.  They just don’t talk to many of the people outside their own.  It’s kind of hard to talk to them.

McGonagall:  And the Slytherins?

Neville:  [He shifts uncomfortably].  Well, except for Harry, they’re pretty hard to talk to also. 

McGonagall:  Would you say that you and Mr. Potter get along well?

Neville:  I think that we do.  Sometimes it’s kind of hard to tell with him. 

McGonagall:  And the rest of the Slytherins? 

Neville:  It’s funny really.

McGonagall:  What is?

Neville:  Well, if it weren’t for how they are with Harry, then I’d just say that they were scary. 

McGonagall:  But?

Neville:  But they’re really careful with him.  He calls all of them by their first names, even the older years.  And they almost always smile back at him and wave, like he’s some kind of exception to the rule.

McGonagall:  The rule?

Neville:  Yeah, the rule that says all Slytherins must glare and frown unless something unfortunate happens to someone else.

McGonagall:  [She smiles]. 

Neville:  It’s not just that either.  It’s like . . . [He visibly thinks for a moment]. It’s like he’s off limits for everyone to touch, and if you get in his way or mess with him, then suddenly you have a face full of angry Slytherin house. 

McGonagall:  A very apt description, Mr. Longbottom. 

Neville:  Yeah well, I’ve seen people try and it never ends very well.  [He shrugs].

End notes:  ‘I wouldn’t try it, myself.’

. . .

Date:  10 October, 1991
House:  Gryffindor
Student Name:  Parvati Patil

Side note:  ‘Sometimes a hunch is all that is needed to unravel the truth.’

McGonagall:  I imagine you must think you’re rather smart.

Parvati:  Pardon me, ma’am? I don’t know what you’re on about, but—.

McGonagall:  [Interrupting].  Oh, but I think you do. 

Parvati:  [She pales and gulps]. 

McGonagall:  I wonder, are you aware that Ms. Turpin has already been assigned two weeks of detention for her actions against you and your sister?

Parvati:  Two weeks!?  That’s not enough!  Did you even see what she did to us?  [Her eyes are flashing angrily].

McGonagall:  And what about what you did to her?

Parvati:  I didn’t do anything to her!

McGonagall:  Ah, I see.  [She leans back in her seat and crosses her legs imperiously]. You didn’t do anything.  Your sister didn’t do anything.  At least, not individually. 

Parvati:  No.

McGonagall:  Who thought it up?

Parvati:  I don’t know what you’re talking about.

McGonagall:  [She purses her lips and then suddenly smiles].

Parvati:  [She sees the smiles and shifts nervously in her seat].

McGonagall:  Let me tell you a story about two students I once knew.  They were twins, identical twins in fact, and once upon a time, they thought it would be great fun to switch out places in their classes.  They were, like you and your sister, assigned to two different houses you see, and each was rather interested in what it would be like to be part of another house for the day. 

Parvati:  That’s . . . That’s very ingenious. 

McGonagall:  Mm-hmm.  I imagine they thought so as well.  Perhaps they did it when they were younger as well?  [She raises an eyebrow and looks directly at Parvati].

Parvati:  [She whispers].  Perhaps they did. 

McGonagall:  Would you like to know which professor caught on to their act first?

Parvati:  [Her eyes are wide as she waits for the answer].

McGonagall:  [She leans in close and narrows her eyes dangerously].  Me.

Parvati:  [She squirms as her breath stutters in and out]. I-I-I—It wasn’t my idea!

McGonagall:   No?  [She leans back and resumes her previous relaxed pose].

Parvati:  Well, not entirely! Padma, she has these sorts of ideas, you see.  [Her eyes are darting nervously back and forth].  She likes to learn . . . about everything, really.  It’s really quite tiresome, sometimes!

McGonagall:  Hmm. 

Parvati:  And I—I didn’t really want to do it, but she can be quite convincing when she wants to!

McGonagall:  So it was all her fault?

Parvati:  Well . . . [She squirms].

McGonagall:  Did you know that bravery comes in many forms?  It’s bravery that helps us fight battles, but it’s also bravery that helps tell the truth. 

Parvati:  [She swallows hard].

McGonagall:  Now tell me the truth.  [Her eyes narrow in warning].

Parvati:  [In a whisper].  It was her idea, but I was the one that made her go through with it. 

McGonagall:  [She smiles coldly].  See now, that wasn’t so hard.

Parvati:  What are you going to do to us?

McGonagall:  Hmm.  [She drums her fingers on her leg].  I believe that for starters you and your sister should tell Ms. Turpin the truth. 

Parvati:  [She shudders].

McGonagall:  And then I believe I shall assign you detention also with Ms. Turpin.  Both of you. 

Parvati:  [She whispers].  For how long?

McGonagall:  As long as Ms. Turpin has detention.  And I should warn you, she’s still working on her self-control; so it’s likely that she will continue getting detention until that little issue is worked out.  [She smiles again]. 

End notes:  ‘Parvati and Padma decided to switch places on Monday for DADA.  And so it was Padma who answered the question; a Padma dressed up in Gryffindor colours.  Ms. Turpin was correct when she called her a cheat, but not for the reasons she thought.’

. . .

Date:  13 October, 1991
House:  Slytherin
Student Name:  Vincent Crabbe
Lives with:  Mother and Father
Siblings:  One older sister, graduated from Hogwarts in 1989.  
Blood status:  Pureblood
Magic levels:  Average, potential for growth
Last owl received from family:  12 October, 1991.

Ongoing impressions:  ‘There is more to Vincent Crabbe than initially meets the eye.  The question now is whether he is doing it on purpose, or whether he really thinks he is as worthless as his image seems to indicate.’

Snape:  How has your week progressed?

Vince:  [He shrugs]. 

Snape:  Vince?  [He asks in a very soft voice].

Vince:  Harry’s . . . well, he’s rather taken with the Quidditch team.

Snape:  And?

Vince:  It just seems a shame, I guess.  [He gives a one shouldered shrug before dropping his hands in his lap despondently].

Snape:  What does? 

Vince:  Just that he’ll never get to play.

Snape:  And why is that?

Vince:  Well, ‘cause the guys really want to win.  I mean, they’re pretty good to Harry, letting him watch their practices and all, but they’re never going to let him on for real.

Snape:  How is his flying?

Vince:  It seems okay. 

Snape:  But?

Vince:  But, well you know how he is.  How is he going to pay attention that long?  It’s not like he’s particularly coordinated on the ground or anything.  I just don’t want to be the one to tell him he can’t do something.

Snape:  Don’t be.

Vince:  Pardon, sir?

Snape:  Don’t be the person who tells him he can’t do something.  He listens to you, Vince.  And as long as you don’t stop him, then anything is possible for our young Harry. 

Vince:  Do you really think that sir?  [He asks, squinting dubiously up at Snape].  I mean, no offense sir, but that seems like something a Gryffindor would say. 

Snape:  Hope is not limited to only one house.  Belief in one’s self or another is part of progress, part of the ambition to make things happen.  Slytherins are known for craftiness and skill at making things happen by any means possible.  Believe in him, Vince.  Show him that you have confidence in him, and let the rest of us work out those details. 

End notes:  ‘Believe in him and learn to believe in yourself as you do, child.’

. . .

Date:  13 October, 1991
House:  Slytherin
Student Name:  Hermione Granger
Lives with:  Mother and Father
Siblings:  None
Roommates:  Millicent Bulstrode
Blood status:  Muggle born.
Magic levels:  Semi-powerful
Last owl received from family:  13 October, 1991

‘I visited the Granger family at their abode yesterday, the 12th of October, 1991.  Despite the fact that they verbally welcomed me into their house, there was little sense of real welcome in their voices or demeanour.  Everything was very stiff, very formal, and dare I say it . . . overly pastel.  I allowed them to serve tea, and then I got to the point of my visit.  I inquired about Hermione’s behaviour in the past months, and they assured me that she had been nothing but cheerful and excited about the prospect of attending a new school.’

‘Hermione was diagnosed by Poppy as being depressed during her initial evaluation.  At the time of evaluation, it was an already established level of behaviour.  In other words, either the Grangers were attempting to lie to me, or they really were as delusional as Hermione claims them to be.  I’m not quite sure which option I would prefer to believe in.’

‘At that point in my visit, I asked them if I could make use of the facilities.  Mr. Granger directed me towards the nearest toilet and I went in that direction with no intention of actually using said facilities.  Instead, I opened several doors in hopes of finding Hermione’s room, which I eventually located at the end of the hallway.’

‘Although the carpet and walls were painted in that overly garish shade of pink that Mrs. Granger seems to prefer, the rest of the room was largely done in primary colours—something that was strangely comforting to the eye after enduring the rest of the house.  On the walls there were several framed certificates of achievement, and on many of the shelves there were varying sizes of trophies stating more or less the same.  They were, I should note, largely covered in dust.’

‘The only other things featured within the room were piles and piles of books.   Some were on the aforementioned shelves, but primarily they surrounded the bed and desk in varying heights.’

‘“I see you’ve discovered Hermione’s room,” Mr. Granger’s voice interrupted my perusing of one of the piles.  I had purposely left the door open in hopes of being discovered.  Sometimes the best way to have a conversation is to force it, and I had a feeling that the Grangers were the type of people who would need to be forced.’

‘Given that Mrs. Granger was no longer with him, I decided to ask the same sorts of questions as before, but in the hopes that I would get a more honest answer this time.  Although the answers I received were largely the same, there was a level of doubt present within Mr. Granger’s voice and visage that I had not perceived from Mrs. Granger earlier that same morning.’

‘“Tell me, Mr. Granger,” I said, feeling the need to be rather blunt. “Have you ever been worried for your daughter’s level of contentment in her life?”’

‘He began to answer, but Mrs. Granger chose that moment to walk in, therefore spoiling my chances at getting a straight answer. She informed me that she planned to go through Hermione’s room and turn it into a place fit for a young lady.  I asked about what would happen to the numerous books spread out across everything, and she told me that she would likely donate them to the local library.’

‘“And Hermione,” I prompted.  “Does she know of your plans?”’

‘“I hardly think it matters.  She is far too old for these childish flights of fancy, and it is high time for her to grow up into the young woman that I have raised her to be.”  With that overly pompous statement, she then attempted to usher me out, stating that she and George (Mr. Granger) had several appointments that they were going to be late for if they didn’t leave right at that moment.’

‘I should also note that Mr. Granger’s face showed only surprise at her announcement; indicating that either these appointments had not been mentioned to him, or else they were nothing more than lies.  One should really talk one’s plans over with one’s significant other before lying point blank to a stranger—particularly a Slytherin stranger.’

‘“If it is all the same to you, madame, I would much prefer that we not adjourn this conversation so hastily,” I countered with, much to her most obvious disdain.’

‘“It is not,” she sniffed in a manner very similar to Mrs. Malfoy’s own cheery disposition. “This conversation, while amusing at its outset, has reached its logical conclusion and it is time to move on.  I’ll show you to the door.” And then she very neatly and calmly kicked me out.’

‘Of course we are not done with the conversation, but I think that the next time I visit, I shall bring Poppy and perhaps a few empty crates.’

Snape:  I’m not certain whether I should be pleased for your relatively calm week or worried.

Hermione:  [She smiles].  A quiet Slytherin is a naughty Slytherin?  [The question is asked in a sing-song voice].

Snape:  What do you think?  [He raises an eyebrow and smirks].

Hermione:  I hardly think that telling the truth would be beneficial to my continued plans. 

Snape:  A very Slytherin answer.  [His smirk becomes a small but real smile].

Hermione:   Did you have any doubt?  [She smiles a very feral grin]. 

Snape:  I’ve learned better than to make assumptions about anyone. 

Side note:  ‘For instance, despite your overly Gryffindorish tendencies Minerva, you have still managed to commit more than a handful of truly Slytherin acts through the years.’

Hermione:  Hm.  [She nods thoughtfully].  What about when you know you’re right? 

Snape:  It depends on the situation. 

Hermione:   And did you still feel that you were right about me after meeting my parents?

Snape:  Did they tell you that in their letter to you?

Hermione:  They told me that a very unpleasant man came to visit them.  I’m only assuming that they meant you.

Snape:  [He smiles and nods].  Touché.  I must admit that the feeling was largely mutual. 

Hermione:  Imagine living with them. 

Snape:  I would prefer not to. 

Hermione:  [She snorts].

Snape:  Humour me for a moment, if you would.  If you could use three words to describe your mother, which ones would you use?

Hermione:  [The corner of her mouth curls up into a partial smile].  Hm, because I’m feeling so generous right now, I’ll play along. 

Snape:  Thank you.

Hermione:  [She rolls her eyes].  Three words to describe Mother [she sighs] . . . disingenuous, rancorous—no wait, that’s me . . . I’ll keep disingenuous, but change the second one to treacherous, and finish up with specious.

Side note:  ‘For those of you not as familiar with the dictionary:  A) disingenuous means lacking in frankness, candour, or sincerity; B) treacherous means being deceptive, untrustworthy, or unreliable; and C) specious means apparently good or right though lacking any real merit.  Likewise, her three words can all also be attributed as negative Slytherin traits.’

Snape:  And your father?

Hermione:  Oh dearest daddy . . . [she says with an imperious sneer].  Spineless, insipid and utterly worthless ought to do it. 

Side note:  ‘If you don’t know these words, simply imagine Quirrell at his most pathetic, and I think you’ll have the sort of image Ms. Granger was trying to portray.’

Hermione:  Perhaps you should add ‘noxious’ to my dearest mummy’s list as well.  Wouldn’t want to leave out any adjectives, would we?

Snape:  Have you always felt this way about them?

Hermione:  What way would that be?  [She smiles a mirthless smile].

Snape:  Such utter contempt for them? 

Hermione:  [She is silent for a moment and her face twists into a frown] . . . No actually, I used to think they actually cared for me.  Clearly I was simply a stupid little prat who didn’t know any better.

Snape:  But you do now?

Hermione:  Know better?

Snape:  [He nods].

Hermione:  [She nibbles on her lower lip and then shakes her head angrily, her eyes glaring down at the floor away from Snape’s gaze].  I’d like to think so.  [She finally growls out].

Snape:  If they don’t care for you, then what do they care for?

Hermione:  [She gives a bitter bark of laughter].  Their image.  Their place in society.  Their standing.  Their belief that they can be normal, that they can be perfect, even with a little worthless freak like me . . . [she trails off, still glaring at the floor]. 

Snape:  And what makes you so worthless?

Hermione:  [She shakes her head].  I’m done now.  I want to go now.  Stop talking to me!  [She shouts, jumping to her feet].

End notes:  ‘After setting fire to the wooden chair she had been sitting in, Ms. Granger stormed out the door, slamming it loudly behind her.  She was not seen again until the next morning at breakfast.  Worryingly, I do not know where she was—not for certain, at least.  I do have a theory, but as of yet it is still untested . . .

. . .

Date:  13 October, 1991
House:  Slytherin
Student Name:  Draco Malfoy
Lives with:  Mother and Father
Siblings:  None
Roommates:  Gregory Goyle and Theodore Nott
Blood status:  Pureblood
Magic levels:  Above average
Last owl received from family:   09 October, 1991

Ongoing impressions:  ‘When Hermione Granger is not causing trouble, she is still interesting.  The same cannot always be said for Draco Malfoy . . .’

Snape:  Tell me Mr. Malfoy, do your parents love you?

Draco:  What sort of question is that?

Snape:  [He leans forwards menacingly].  Mine.  [He leans back in his chair again].

Draco:  [He gulps nervously].  Of course they do.

Snape:  If you were to . . . oh say, have a horrific accident and be physically dependent upon them for the rest of your life, would they still love you?

Draco:  [His eyes widen]. That’s an awful question.

Snape:  Would they, Mr. Malfoy?  Do not make me ask again.

Draco:  [He gulps again].  I think they would. 

Snape:  If you had been sorted into Gryffindor, would your parents still have loved you?

Draco:  [He pales].  Mother would have.

Snape:  And your Father?

Draco:  I-I think he would have been disappointed.  [He says this in a whisper].

Snape:  But he would have still loved you despite your failure?

Draco:  [He pauses].  I think Mother would have convinced him to.

Side note:  ‘I think my sessions with Mr. Malfoy are being influenced by my meetings with Ms. Granger.’

Snape:  Is there anything you can think of that would ever cause your parents to stop loving you?

Draco:  [He looks down at his lap as he visibly ponders the question]. Perhaps, if I did something so horrific that it truly embarrassed my family name.

Snape:  What would be horrific enough for that?

Side note:  ‘After all, if Lucius Malfoy is still part of the family after all that he did as a Death Eater, I’m not sure I can imagine anything that would be very much worse than that.  Especially for a child.’

Draco:  Well . . . [he draws the word out] . . . it’d be worse if I were to do something like start dating a mudblood like Granger.  [He shudders dramatically]. 

End note:  ‘That would be worse that your father’s crimes against humanity?  Mr. Malfoy, you live a very sheltered life indeed.’

. . .

Date:  13 October, 1991
House:  Slytherin
Student Name:  Harry Potter
Lives with:  As head of his house, I am now his official guardian, per Slytherin bylaws. His Aunt’s family is currently on wizarding trial for child abuse. 
Siblings:  None
Ongoing infirmary report:  He is taking a variety of nutritional potions with each and every meal, and he will continue taking a full body soak in essence of murtlap every week in the infirmary bathroom until the holiday break.  At that time, we shall re-evaluate. 

Roommates:  Vincent Crabbe and Blaise Zabini. 
Blood status:  1st generation pureblood (as per the new rules; half-blood via the old rules)
Magic levels:  Powerful
Last owl received from: 

Ongoing impressions:  ‘A surprise with every overenthusiastic hug he bestows on me.’

Harry:  Hi ‘fessor Snape!  [He bounces in next to Caddy the house elf.  Caddy waits until he is seated next to Professor Snape and then he quietly walks out of the room and apparates with a small pop]. 

Snape:  Hello Harry.

Harry:  Did you miss me?  [He turns wide imploring eyes up at Snape].

Snape:  Let’s see here.  Given that I saw you just at breakfast this morning, I must say that no, I have not.

Harry:  [His mouth turns down in a slight pout].  Not even a little?

Snape:  [He sighs and gives a small smile].  Perhaps a tiny bit, but I most certainly have not missed any of the other students. 

Harry:  [He gives Snape a relieved smile].  That’s all right!  You’re my ‘fessor Snape!  [His grin increases as he leans his head against Snape’s robed arm].

Snape:  Harry, tell me, did your relatives allow you to have blue hair when you lived with them?  [He looks down at Harry’s wild blue dreadlocks with a raised eyebrow].

Harry:  Nuh-uh.  [He vigorously shakes his head in the negative].  Uncle Vernon said that I’m not allowed to be sportin’ no stupid hippy shit.  Not under his roof!  Nope nope nope.

Snape:  He swore at you frequently, did he?

Harry:  [He shrugs].

Snape:  Explain to me how you changed your looks so suddenly then?  Dreadlocks, as I understand, typically take a fairly long time to . . . cultivate.

Harry:  [He wraps his thin arms around Snape’s significantly larger one].  Well, ‘cause I wanted them to, that’s how.  [He nods, looking pleased with himself].

Side note:  ‘Does he mean what I think he does?’

Snape:  If you were to want say, shoulder length black hair, could you have it as well?

Harry:  [He looks up at Snape’s hair and suddenly he grins enthusiastically].  Yup!  [Without warning, Harry’s blue dreadlocks begin morphing into straight black hair and growing down to his shoulders.  Within a minute, Harry’s hair looks extremely similar to Snape’s own ‘do].

Side note:  ‘A parseltongue and a metamorphmagus?’

Snape:  [His own eyes somewhat wider than usual].  It’s a very nice look for you. 

Side note:  ‘Anything is better than the blue dreadlocks.’

Harry:  [Clapping his hands together].  Yay! 

Snape:  Tell me Harry, what does your original hair look like?

Harry:  [He suddenly drops his head and looks at his lap].  Don’t like it.

Snape:  [Touching his free hand to Harry’s chin, he lifts the boy’s head up].  Why not?

Harry:  Uncle Vernon said that it looked like a rat’s nest and that he was the ‘sterminator.  Don’t wanna show you.  ‘Kay?  [He looks back at Snape with wide frightened eyes].

Snape:  [He nods in understanding].  You don’t have to show me.  [He says very softly].  That wasn’t very nice of him, you know.

Harry:  [He shakes his head back and forth].  Didn’t like me.  Wanted me dead.  I heard him say that to aunt ‘Tunia.  [He nods very matter of factly, his lip between his teeth].

Snape:  [He grits his teeth very briefly and then relaxes].  I think you should know, I don’t like him very much either. 

Harry:  ‘Cause you’re my ‘fessor Snape?  [His voice is hopeful].

Snape:  [He nods resolutely].  Because you are my Harry. 

Harry:  [He smiles even as his eyes tear up.  He hides his face in Snape’s shirt and hugs his professor very tightly around the middle].

Snape:  No one is allowed to hurt you, not ever again.  Never again.  [He murmurs these last two words against the top of Harry’s now dreadlock free head].

End notes:  ‘The head of Slytherin has spoken.  Thus it shall be.  And if you think otherwise, I challenge you to try otherwise.’

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2682