Second Chances by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: 153 years old, long after the defeat of the greatest Dark lord of all times, Harry Potter divorcee is alone and depressed. Contemplating suicide his familiar finds a way for him to go back and fix what he regrets not doing the first place.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 57092 Read: 155904 Published: 09 Nov 2011 Updated: 22 Nov 2012
Chapter 14:Return to Quidditch by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I updated like 2 weeks ago only it never showed up..so if you havent read the previous chapter read it first



I hated writing this chapter, I love Dumbledore but I hated how he did Severus and Harry in the books..I tried to keep him in character...I failed immensley lol..So I'm not happy about that...sorry.

I hate maipulated Dumbledore stories, bascially its not really there, its just Albus being a bit misguided and Harry not as a fool like the first time.

The weekend passed by quickly and Harry found that too soon it was Monday and classes had started again. He was so happy that at least today would be his first flying class. Well not his first, he shook his head in confusion, his first his second time around. He had already figured out a way for him to make the Quidditch team again he just hoped Severus wouldn’t kill him. Making sure he had his snitch in his pocket he headed to the field. His class was mixed with the Hufflepuffs and he only hoped that the friendship between Ron and Draco was still growing strong and that nothing would happen to Neville this time around.

Standing next to a broom he calmly but firmly spoke ‘up’ to the broom and just like before it leaped into his hand. He turned to see how his classmates were doing when he saw Hermione and Hannah struggling to lift theirs. He walked over to them and told them that they had to want it, and they had to speak with a strong voice. After they listened to his advice their brooms shot into their hands too. He congratulated them and was surprised to know that Madame Hooch had been watching him.

“That’ll be 15 Points to Ravenclaw Mr. Potter, for helping out your fellow classmates. Well done.”

She instructed everyone to get on their broom and then come back down, they did but Harry relished in the feeling of being back on a broom again and he couldn’t resist what he was about do. He touched back down and waited while she explained what they were going to do next. They took to the air again, and this time Harry released the snitch. Ignoring everyone else he focused only on the snitch and he took off after it. Since his attention was only on the snitch he had no idea who was watching him, nor what their reactions were to his stunt. He had eyes only for the snitch, which led him to speeding past Neville and Hermione who were both very afraid of being in the air. Neville was able to catch himself somehow thanks to Seamus but Hermione wasn’t that lucky. She was only 15 feet in the air, but unable to steady herself, she fell from her broom.

Ron was staring at her still form on the ground in horror, her leg was twisted in an angle and she had yet to make a sound. He felt a stabbing pain in heart that made him gasp, why was he feeling so much grief? She was his friend yes but he didn’t care for her like that, like DRACO! He turned to look at Draco whose face was whiter than normal and he looked on the verge of passing out on his own broom. He quickly flew over to him and together they slowly descended to the ground where Draco ran to her side. Draco grabbed her hand, and was whispering words to her that Ron couldn’t hear, but he knew what they were nonetheless. Why was he feeling Draco’s emotions, and where the hell was Harry? He could feel happiness in a part of his head, but looking at Hermione he had no reason to feel happy, what was going on? And why hadn’t anybody noticed what was going on, where in the hell was Hooch?

Madame Hooch watched Harry fly off with a keen eye, he was just the right build for a seeker she knew that. He would a great asset to the Ravenclaw team if he joined and they would have a chance of winning the Quidditch cup this year for once, instead of Gryffindor or Slytherin. Glancing around at the rest of the students who were cheering him on, she knew she wasn’t the only one who noticed his talent.

Harry easily caught the snitch in a Wronski feint that nearly led Albus Dumbledore who was watching from his office to a heart attack. He was just about to turn around when he felt a wave of grief shoot through his heart, and he nearly toppled from his broom. What the hell was that? Flying back to class, he could see a ways away from Hooch that Draco and Ron were sitting near a still body, it was Hermione! What happened to her? Before he could fully finish that thought, he ‘saw’ himself shoot past her after the snitch and her falling. He got a sick feeling in his stomach, he had hurt one of his best friends, and why wasn’t Hooch helping her?He landed on the ground hard scraping his hands in the process but he didn’t care. He ran over to where Hermione was laid out, her left leg was twisted in a horrible way and her wrist was swollen like Neville’s the first time around.

Why wasn’t she waking up? Hooch had followed him and gasped when she discovered Hermione unmoving.  She quickly levitated her before dismissing the class. Harry turned to look at Draco who was about to follow her, he was struggling not to cry. He found he couldn’t say anything, this was his fault, the stupidest idea ever, he thought. It was not supposed to happen this way, he was supposed to make a spectacular catch, and then he would make the team.

 He could care less about Quidditch, what is she didn’t wake up?Harry and Ron walked to the infirmary to check on their friends, walking in they saw Hermione lying on a bed and Draco was on the bed next to her. What the hell happened to him? He could feel Ron’s anxiety mixed with his, why was Draco in the bed? Madame Pomprey chose that moment to walk in and saw their scared and bewildered faces, and took them what they were.

“What happened to Draco, he was fine in class, what happened to him?” Ron asked trying to keep his anger in check.

“He was hysterical Mr. Weasley; I gave him a calming draught mixed with a sleeping draught. He needed to relax; working himself into a state is not going to help her one bit.”

“Oh ok, what about Hermione then? Is she going to be ok?”

“She will be fine Mr. Potter, I have mended her bones and by tomorrow she will be right as rain.”

“Good that’s, very good Madame Pomprey.”         

   Harry could see her assessing him, he knew what she was seeing, he felt tired, and drained. How much of that was all his emotions he didn’t know, they really needed to have a talk about this soon. He watched Ron go sit in the chair between their beds; apparently he felt the same way. Poppy led Ron to a bed before handing him a potion and he fell asleep instantly. He could see her start towards him but he would not be drugged, he deserved to be punished for what he did to her. He had hurt one of his best friends, these stupid ideas needed to stop before something serious happens.

“Mr. Potter, I need you to take this.”

“I can’t, the Headmaster wants to see me Madame Pomprey.”

“When you get done, come back and see me. Do you understand? If you don’t come back I’ll let Severus know.”         

   Harry stared at her in disbelief, was she allowed to go around blackmailing students? Shaking his head, he nodded to her before walking out the doors. On the way to the Headmaster’s office he bumped into Hooch. He stared at her with speaking, he knew what she wanted but he didn’t think he wanted the same thing anymore.

“Mr. Potter, are you interested in Quidditch?”

“Well I wanted to apply for seeker next year,” Harry replied dully.

“I wasn’t talking about next year Mr. Potter I meant this year.”

“First years are not allowed to try out Coach,” Harry answered he did not deserve to have fun.

“They are, first years just aren’t allowed to have brooms, but in this case there will be made an exception.”

“Who do I have to talk too?” Harry replied knowing it was pointless to object.

“No one Harry, just leave it to me.”      

      Harry frowned to himself; this is what he thought he wanted. He missed Quidditch and would love to play it again; he only wished that Hermione hadn’t gotten hurt. He needed to know that Draco and he were ok; he knew exactly how Malfoys were. He had basically hurt something that a Malfoy had claimed, not a position that he wanted to be in. Hopefully Draco would put their friendship first, over holding a grudge or plotting revenge for an accident.Part of him hoped that Snape wouldn’t allow him to play, he knew that Sirius would be all for it.  Speaking of Sirius, would the same rules at home apply here?

 Was he allowed to visit Sirius and Moony every other weekend? He would speak to the Headmaster about that, and then maybe on one of the days they could go get the ring. Harry was heading to the Headmaster’s Office when Fawkes flashed in front of him nearly making him fall down in fright.

*You’ve got to stop doing that, your gonna kill me one day Fawkes*

*Apologies Harry, but Albus wants to speak with you right now*

* That’s where I was headed anyways. Could you flash me over then, it’s quicker? *

*Yea, you know what to do*        

    They landed in the middle of Albus’s office where he was talking animatedly with the portrait of a former Headmaster. Harry looked on curiously but didn’t say anything as he waited for their conversation to end. Finally it did and Albus turned around to speak with him.

“I saw your flying class Harry.”

Harry cringed, he didn’t know what Albus was planning on doing to him but he better just come clean and apologize.

“Professor I am so sorry, I did not mean to hurt her.”

Harry started before stopping at the confused expression the Headmaster’s face.

“Hurt who Harry? Who are you talking about?”

Harry was about to explain, when he remembered that the incident happened where Hooch didn’t see a thing, so he assumed that Albus didn’t either. He was not about to get into this now if he didn’t have too, he quickly reverted back to the subject at hand.

“Oh you did? Do you think you could convince Severus to let me play on the house team?”

“I could try, you fly brilliantly Harry. Although I must admit if he were to see you dive like you did earlier he wouldn’t let you play until you promised not to do that.”

“You saw it? I scared you didn’t I? Don’t worry I was perfectly safe.” Harry stated mockingly. Glad that he had moved the subject into a more comfortable discussion.

“That doesn’t mean a thing; I would advice not to do it in Severus’s presence.” The Headmaster warned.

“I won’t I’m not that crazy.”

“What did you want to talk to me about?”

“The Horcruxes, you said that you have one in your possession as we speak?”

“No, now I have two of them.”

“When are you going to get rid of them?”

“Not until I have most of them. Since he can feel when I destroy them I don’t want him to have the chance to move one or all.”

“That’s a smart plan.”

“I need your help Headmaster. I have 2 godfathers as you know; would it be possible for me to floo every other Friday after classes to Grimmald place? I want to spend time with Sirius; I’ll come back Sunday night. If you say yes then we have a chance of getting one of Tom’s treasures.”

“I’ll see if I can work something out Harry. Another thing I wanted to talk to you about, what was the Horcrux that I fell victim too?” Albus pressed.

“I can’t tell you that Headmaster, because if I do no matter what you say, you will still go after it. I will not allow you to sacrifice anyone including yourself for this war, or for the greater good.”

Harry saw the thoughtful expression on Albus’s face knowing with a sinking feeling in his heart that the man wouldn’t let it go. What the hell?

“I would never Harry, although that reminds me what is going to happen when Voldermort is revived? I would suggest keeping yours and Severus’s relationship a secret.”

“Why would we do that? I hope you’re not planning on letting him go back to spying.”

“Harry that would be out of my hands, he would go back anyway. If he didn’t Voldermort will have him killed, as long as he has the dark mark on his arm he must continue spying. Besides the order would be helpless without a spy, and we need that advantage.”

Harry nodded angrily, irritated with the man across from him and himself for forgetting how the old man was. Severus was not going to suffer this time around, call him selfish but Snape was going to survive this war. He deserved happiness and a life without fear or getting crucioed. By the time Voldermort was to be resurrected Severus was no longer going to have a dark mark; he would make sure of it. He couldn’t stay here and talk to the man anymore, not if he wanted to keep his temper. Even though he had wanted to tell more things to tell Albus about the future he couldn’t not without knowing what the old man was going to do.

“I’d better go; I don’t want to be late for my next class.”

“Of course Harry, come by and see me anytime.” Albus replied eyes twinkling.

Albus must be drugged from those lemon drops but he was not going to manipulate him this time around. He and Severus both deserved a life without the Headmaster dictating it, they were not pawns in the Headmaster’s game of chess. Harry walked out the office and headed to the Room of Requirement, deciding on ditching class. Hoping Snape wouldn’t be too angry but he was not in the right frame of mind to go to charms right now. He was glad he had the good sense not to inform the old man about the Hallows or anything he deemed confidential.

He could kick himself for almost letting himself fall into that trap, Albus Dumbledore was not just any old man, but he would soon learn enough that Harry was nobody’s tool. He didn’t come back just to let the man manipulate him or his love ones again. This time Harry was in charge, and soon Albus Dumbledore would realize that.He stayed in the Room of Requirement for several hours because when he came out it was already dark and a quick glance at his watch told him that he had missed dinner. Severus was going to kill him when he found him, he sighed in annoyance as he walked to Ravenclaw tower.

Opening the entrance he was intending on going to his dorm room but was stopped by a prefect telling him that he had a detention with Professor Snape in 3 minutes. Harry stared blankly at the wall, how in the heck was he going to get from the tower to the dungeons in 3 minutes? Shaking his head, he ran out the tower, this just wasn’t his day. He made it to the dungeons in record time, and he leaned on the door as he knocked trying to catch his breath. After hearing enter he walked in and shut the door and collapsed in a chair breathing heavily. Whatever Snape wanted to say was forgotten as his face changed to one of concern.

“What’s the matter Harry?”

“Just got a stitch in my side is all,” he gasped out.

“If you’re sure your fine?” Severus asked uncertainly.

“I…” Harry stilled as he tried to catch his breath.

“Harry… I need you to breathe deeply and slowly.”

“I…can’t…” Harry stated as he choked on air and tried to breathe like Severus said to. He felt like his something was sitting on his chest, and all he could do was gasp.

“Harry calm down child, HARRY!” Severus yelled, for Harry had just passed out and was sliding to the floor.        

    Severus ran over to him and picked him up, before flooing to the infirmary. He noted as he looked around for Poppy that Granger, Draco, and Weasley were all asleep in the beds. What in the world had happened?

“Poppy, where are you?” Severus half-whispered half-yelled to the air.

“I’m right here Severus, what did you need?” She called from behind him.He turned around to show her Harry where she quickly got back into professional mode. He laid Harry on the bed and let her care for him.“

What happened to him Severus?”

“I don’t know he came into my office where he was gasping for breath. He told me he was fine, but then all of a sudden he couldn’t seem to catch his breath. The next thing I know he had passed out and was sliding out of his chair. What did you find Poppy?”

“Looks like he had a severe panic attack, not to mention he’s tired and he’s emotionally drained but I knew that already.”

“What are you talking about Poppy?”

“Today there was an incident in flying class, I don’t know what happen. Neither does Hooch, only these 4 on the bed does. In a sense Miss. Granger was injured, Mr. Malfoy was hysterical on her behalf, and Mr. Weasley almost collapsed in a chair. Mr. Potter was the only one who was still standing, I told him to come back after his talk with the Headmaster.”

“And what time was that Poppy?”

“About 1:00pm”

Severus’s eyes narrowed, what happened during their talk for Harry to end up like this? He wanted to go straight to Albus but he knew he wouldn’t get a straight answer; he just had to wait until Harry woke up.

“If that is all, I’m taking him back to our quarters. That won’t be a problem will it Poppy?”

“No Severus, that’s fine I do have 3 other children to look after tonight anyway. I know you will take good care of him.”          

  Severus nodded before picking Harry back up and going through the floo to their quarters. He dressed the child for bed, and then tucked him in under the covers. He then went to his potions lab, needing something to calm his rising temper.           

 Harry woke up the next morning, in his bed trying to figure out what the hell was going on. He was talking to his Godfather in his office yesterday, how did he get here? Why wasn’t he in his dorm room with his mates? Were Hermione and Draco ok? So many questions were going through his mind, add to the fact that he was to blame for Hermione’s accident he was nearly putting himself into another panic attack. Before anything else could happen, Severus walked into his room with a potion in his hand, and handed it to him. He took it gratefully not even question what it was; as he tasted it he knew it was a calming draught.

“Morning Harry, are you ok now?”

“Yes Uncle Severus I’m fine,” he murmured.

“Do you remember what happened yesterday?”

“I was talking to you I think, but why am I in my room and not my dorm?”

“You were emotionally drained and you suffered a panic attack. You scared me half to death Harry, what brought that on?”

“Oh yea, I couldn’t catch my breath last night, and then I was thinking on what happened in flying class and stuff.” Harry replied already trying to push the conversation with Albus to the furthest point in his mind.

“Why couldn’t you catch your breath, and what exactly happened in flying class?”

“I was running to your office because the Ravenclaw prefect said that I had detention with you in 3 minutes and that I couldn’t be late. Hermione got hurt and it was my entire fault.”

“In the future Harry, a fast walk will do, no need to kill yourself for ‘detention’ with me. How is it your fault that she got hurt? I’m assuming she fell off her broom right?”

“Yes sir, but it was my fault that she fell in the first place.”

“Harry you’re going to have to explain that one to me because I don’t understand. I can’t help you unless you tell me the whole story.”

“You’ll hate me, and you’ll call me an idiot Gryffindor, ignoring the fact that I’m actually in Ravenclaw. You’ll say this is the kind of thing my father would’ve done, before you sneer at me. You’ll hurt me again with your words, so no I can’t tell you, your better off asking Draco.” Harry said in a rush, the last word bitterly leaving his mouth.       

     Severus stared unblinking at the child, who looked like he wanted to start crying any minute. He really did blame himself for the accident that happened to his friend. What was he supposed to do?

“It’s ok Harry, I’ll be right back with breakfast,”

 Severus answered as he ran a hand through the child’s messy hair. He closed the door behind him, and headed to the floo to call the wolf.

“Lupin, you there?” He called hoping the man wouldn’t be asleep, and if he was he would no doubt be waking him up. Harry was more important than sleep, or anything for that matter.

“I need you and Black to come over here right now.”

“What’s wrong Severus?”

“That talk about Harry that we needed to have, it’s long overdue.”

“I don’t understand Severus, what caused all this?”

“Just get over here so I can explain it, I don’t know what else to do.” Severus stated bitterly.

“Alright, we’re coming through, step back”

He walked backwards and a few minutes later Lupin and a tired looking Black stepped through.

“What’s up with him?” Severus asked nodding to Black.

“He had a late night yesterday,” Remus replied.

Sirius merely grunted in response before dropping down on the sofa and falling back asleep.

“We can wake him up when it’s his turn to talk alright?” Remus said before Severus could do anything.

“Fine, let’s go get this over with, he’s in his room.”

Harry’s eyes widen comically when he saw Severus walk back in his room with Remus. What was Moony doing here?

“What are you doing here Uncle Remy?”

“We need to talk to you Harry, it’s very important that you listen to what each of will say.”

Harry didn’t like the sound of that, it sounded serious. He couldn’t help but wonder if Albus had let something slip to his guardians.

“What about and why isn’t Sirius here too? He’s my other godfather isn’t he?

”He’s in the living room, apparently the mutt had a rough night,” Severus answered sneering slightly.

“Is he ok?” Harry asked worriedly.

“He’s fine Harry it’s you we are worried about.” Remus answered.

“Why are you worried about me? I promise you I’m fine.”

“If that is true then can you please explain why you believe that you are responsible for Miss Granger’s accident in flying class? Where were you all afternoon yesterday?” Snape asked quietly.

“I...I… nowhere sir,” Harry replied ignoring the first question and wincing internally at his horrible lie.

“Try again,” was all Snape said with a glint of anger in his eyes.

“I needed some time for myself today,” Harry finally answered it was technically the truth.

“You needed a moment for yourself? And this couldn’t wait until classes weren’t in session? Where were you?” Severus asked skeptically.

“In a classroom, I just…I’m sorry sir,” Harry sighed there really was no way to explain why he did what he did unless Snape knew the truth, and he didn’t. Oh well he would just accept whatever punishment the man threw at him.

“I see, so basically you’re an 11 year old who ditched his classes because he didn’t feel like going to them, is that correct?”

When you put it like that, it sounds so silly. He didn’t ditch for the hell of it, he just didn’t trust himself to be able to control his magic with his conflicting emotions raging throughout his body. He was really thinking about not destroying Professor Flitwick’s classroom or hurting his classmates. But since he couldn’t tell the man that, he kept his head down and nodded in agreement.

“Hmm, Albus informed me that you have been asked to participate in the Ravenclaw Quidditch team. I’m trying to decide after your disregard of the rules today if this would be beneficial or not. What do you think about that Harry?”

Snape was looking at him closely and he shivered at the intensity of the gaze. His mind barriers came up automatically, and he struggled to keep his face blank. Playing the abuse child card was not going to work in this situation, neither would the word freak. This was a delicate situation; he knew if he said the wrong thing, there would be no Quidditch. Thankfully Remus decided to renter the conversation and prevent it from taking a nasty turn.

“Severus let’s not be hasty, why did you ditch your classes yesterday Harry? I want an honest answer, and I would also like to know why you think you’re to blame for that incident yesterday.”

“I was flying…well chasing after a snitch and I was so focused on getting it that I wasn’t looking where I was going. I zoomed past her and Neville who were struggling to fly from their fear and I was the reason she was lost her balance and fell off her broom.” Harry whispered eyes glaring at the wall behind Severus’s head.

Harry could tell that Snape was angry; his eyes were like soulless black holes. The man didn’t say a thing he only stared at Harry. He involuntarily shivered as he forced himself to keep the gaze. He was aware that Remus had quietly left the room, and Harry found that he wanted to yell that he stay in here with him. What was Severus going to do?

The End.
End Notes:
Hoped you liked it..I didnt Happy Holidays Everyone


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2689