Second Chances by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: 153 years old, long after the defeat of the greatest Dark lord of all times, Harry Potter divorcee is alone and depressed. Contemplating suicide his familiar finds a way for him to go back and fix what he regrets not doing the first place.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 57092 Read: 155911 Published: 09 Nov 2011 Updated: 22 Nov 2012
Chapter 17: Return to the Infirmary by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I know, I havent update in two months, but this chapter isnt a slacker, so I hope you guys like it, and the length of it. Apologizes and enjoy
~Parsel Tongue~

 

Albus sighed as he looked over the scrolls on his desk with a sigh. He had been reading about the different types of bonds for the past few days. He had never seen one as strong or as complex as the one in the infirmary. The only one who could get close enough to touch them was Severus and even then if he got too close to the children it started to repel him. He sighed once more wondering how he was going to go about this.

He needed to know what happened to the Sorcerer’s Stone and if Tom told Harry about anything. He shook his head not that it mattered as he remembered Harry already knew the prophecy among other things he shouldn’t know. There was nothing he could do about that for the time being. At the moment he had kept the matter about what happened with the boys a secret, thanking everything that it was the weekend.

He had told everyone that they had fallen ill due to something they ate, the house elves were beside themselves. Everyone believed him as it was a Gryffindor, a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin who ended up sick. He hoped to keep everything under wraps, the last thing he needed was Lucius Malfoy to gain wind of what happened to his son.

~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*

Severus came back to the infirmary once more and took his usual seat next to the boy’s beds, like he had been doing for the last 3 days. They had yet to wake but Poppy kept reassuring him that they would be fine. At the moment Albus was researching the bond that had been strong enough to throw him into a wall. He would have found the scene very amusing had Harry and his friends been ok. Looking around in the quiet infirmary with the much to still boys on the bed, didn’t help his heart in the slightest. He felt like his heart might break, at the thought that he might lose another person he loved.

This was so much, it shouldn’t be happening. Why Harry? He should have been able to protect him because that was his role as a godfather wasn’t it; and his role as his protector. Severus sighed as the hurt welled up in his chest. Didn’t he deserve happiness? Why did it seem like every time something good happened to him something always threatened to take it away? He shook his head before dropping it into his hands, blinking back the traitorous tears that tried to fall.

Severus allowed his dark hair to fall like a curtain around his face as the tears finally started to spill over. The thought of the one person who had considered him his family before he really knew him was too hard to even think on him being gone.

He didn’t see that Remus was there with Sirius, who had been frantic when he first got the floo call. He was too far gone in his grief to hear the door, not that they had entered loud anyways. Sirius had been led away by Remus and kept away from the infirmary for the last few days so he could calm down.

~*~*~*~*

Sirius had come very close to cursing the Slytherin the day he found out what happened. At least he did until Poppy had firmly scolded him before telling him what Snape had done for the boys. Sirius looked on at the scene with clouded eyes before pulling Remus back out into the hall.

“What is it Sirius? I thought you wanted to see Harry,” Remus said quietly. That rare moment of vulnerability that they had seen with Severus just now, was in the front of his brain. He hoped Harry knew how much he meant to everyone he touched, more importantly Severus and Sirius as well.

“Snape is, well you saw him,” Sirius said as he leaned his head on the wall.

“I did, let’s go see how they are,” Remus said gesturing for Sirius to follow.

“What if Harry won’t wake up? What if they’re not ok?” He asked, turning a tortured gaze to Remus.

“They will be, Poppy promised,” Remus said with much more conviction then what he felt.

Severus stiffened this time we he heard the door opened, but he didn’t move from his position. Looking up would only show whoever it was in that moment in time that he was weak. He didn’t bother greeting them, assuming that it was a student who needed help.

“Severus, how are they?” Remus asked gently as he took a seat on the other side of Ron’s bed.

“Poppy says, nothing has changed,” Severus replied hoarsely before clearing his throat.

Sirius glanced at Remus at the tone of voice with a frown. This was all wrong, this should have never happened. Hogwarts was supposed to be safe, how hadn’t Albus known?

“Where’s Albus?” Sirius asked finally.

“Looking up the bond, he’s curious to know how it came to be.” Severus explained quietly.

“What is the bond capable of?” Remus asked curiously.

“Anything, some of them we are aware of and others the boys will have to tell us. At the moment, they are capable of feeling each other’s pain and maybe thoughts or emotions.” Severus replied with a frowned, his voice thick with emotion.

“How did you find out about the bond?” Sirius asked.

“When the Dark Lord cornered Harry, Ronald and Draco felt it. He cast an unforgivable on Harry and they all suffered, they all knew…” Severus trailed off before quickly standing up.

“Severus, are you alright?” Remus asked in concern.

“Watch them,” was all he was able to choke out before he hurried out the infirmary and to his dungeons. He occluded his mind, trying to gain complete control of his emotions.

Sirius swallowed the lump in his throat as he watched Snape leave. For the longest time he had deemed the man soulless and without a heart. The man he had just seen looked on the edge of breaking. He knew just how he felt, and that was new to him because he had never expected to have something in common with Severus Snape.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Meanwhile the boys unconscious on the bed weren’t aware of what was going on outside of their minds, or inside for that matter. Harry woke up first and the first thing he noticed was that the sky was blue and the sun was shining and he was lying on the grass. That was confusing to him as the last thing he remembered was being in the classroom with Quirrel and feeling like he might die. It was a horrible feeling the first time around and to have to go through it again wasn’t something he wanted to think about. He sat up and looked around to see that Draco and Ron were lying on either side of him.

He had no clue what they were doing here nor where exactly here was in the first place. They were in a meadow of sorts, but he didn’t know of any places this close to Hogwarts so he assumed that they had been moved. None of this made sense and trying to work through it was giving him a headache so he stopped.

“Draco, Ron, get up,” he said before trying to clear his throat.

His voice was extremely dry like he hadn’t spoke in a few days. What day was it anyway? He shook his head, wishing he had a cold glass of pumpkin juice; and jumped when said item appeared in front of him. He looked around strangely, what was this magic? He was a Gryffindor through and through no matter where he got sorted this time and he picked up the cup. Taking a breath he took a sip of it before he greedily started to drink it. If it was poisonous he would die happy with his thirst quenched because he easily finished the juice.

Now that he could think beyond his dry throat he stood up and stretched before going over to Draco and shaking him awake. He looked on in amusement as his blonde tried to bury his face deeper in the grass.

“Leave me Dobby, let me sleep,” Draco mumbled out.

Harry frowned, remembering that Dobby was indeed still enslaved. He had to gain entrance into the Malfoy Manor and get him. He sighed in frustration, knowing he would have to tell Draco something. That was the only way Dobby was getting free of Mr. Malfoy. Harry didn’t want him to get in trouble with his father so he would think on his plan. Dobby would just have to wait.

“Draco get up now, Snape is coming,” Harry said urgently. He knew every single student reacted to his godfather’s name especially the Slytherins and Draco was no different.

“Professor, it was Goyle,” Draco said automatically.

Harry sniggered as he took in the sleepy bewildered look on his friend’s face.

“Harry, what in Merlin name are you laughing for?” Draco said as he looked around for his Head of House.

“Your expression was priceless, I wish I had a camera for it,” he giggled out.

“How is that funny, you would react the same way. You and I both know Snape is scary,” Draco said shuddering at just the thought of getting caught by him.

“Nope he’s not that scary, at least not to me.” Harry said cheerfully before giving a hand to Draco.

“I don’t believe you, I will give you a galleon if you hug him the next time we see him,” Draco said evilly.

Harry’s eyes widened, he didn’t have a problem with that. But for appearances sake, that was a detention in the making. He wasn’t about to back down, though he was curious how Snape was going to take it.

“You’re on,” Harry said with a smirk.

Draco narrowed his eyes as he looked around the meadow before looking back at Harry.

“Where the heck are we?” He asked in confusion.

“I don’t know, I woke up a few minutes before you did,” Harry explained with a shrug.

“HELLO!” Draco yelled only to have his voice echoed around them.

Harry winced before shaking his head as he moved over to wake up Ron who only twitched at the noise.

“No one else is here, just us.” Harry said helpfully as he shook the redhead up.

“In a minute mum,” Ron said rolling over the opposite way.

Harry smirked as he looked at Draco with a knowing look.

“Are you going to scare him half to death too?” Draco asked.

“Nope, worse though you might want to cover your ears,” Harry warned with a wide grin.

“Why?” Draco asked suspiciously though he did do what he was told.

Harry smirked before yelling. “Ron, there’s no more food left!”

“WHAT?!?!” Ron yelled his body alright in an upright position as he gazed around widely and unseeing. “How can they be out of food?” He asked to no one in particular.

Draco sniggered in his hands, before he could no longer contain his laughter. He was then joined by Harry who was bent over holding his stomach as he laughed too hard.

“What’s so funny? How can having no food be funny?” Ron asked his tone still horrified.

“We have food Ron, I was just joking,” Harry replied, trying to keep a straight face.

“Really, you should never joke about food Harry,” Ron said affronted at the whole thing.

“Well you wouldn’t wake up,” Draco said as he laughed at the other boy’s tone.

Harry couldn’t hold in his laughter and soon joined in once again, leaving Ron to wonder what the hell had gotten into his friends. A few minutes later they had calmed down and Harry could see the questions in the redhead eyes.

“What the bloody hell? Harry are you alright?” Ron asked worriedly as he looked at Harry. The last thing going through his mind had been intense pain he never wanted to feel again, along with what he thought had to be Draco and Harry’s emotions.

“I’m alright Ron, I promise. How are you?” Harry asked quietly, his earlier laughter gone as the conversation turned serious.

“I’m confused.” He said honestly.

“What are you confused about?” Harry asked thought he was pretty sure he knew why. This conversation he was about to have was long overdue.

“What happened to us? Why are we here?” Ron asked with a frown.

“I don’t know why we are here, but I know what happened to us. And I’m so sorry that you both had to suffer because of me,” Harry said apologetically. He looked down in his self misery at the thought of his actions getting his friends hurt when he was suddenly punched.

“You prat, that wasn’t your fault that Quirrel went barmy.” Draco said with a glint of anger.

“Yeah it sort of is,” Harry insisted, as he rubbed his sore arm.

“How is it your fault then?” Draco said his eyes glittering in anger. How dare Harry try to take the blame for this?

“Remember that light on the train and how we all got knocked out?” Harry asked.

“Yeah I remember, what are you trying to say that you did that as well?” Draco said his fists clenching now.

“No, when we shook hands that day I declared that I would be and I quote: I promise you both; no matter what happens we’ll be friends till the end.” Harry replied softly.

“And then I felt like my head was splitting open before passing out,” Ron murmured.

Draco had sunk back down to the grass in deep in thought. He was sure he knew what happened and in a minute Ron would no doubt catch up. He tried to think what the extent of this friendship bond meant, because that’s what it was.

“You’re exactly right Draco,” Harry replied calmly even though the blonde had yet to speak.

Draco turned to stare wide eyed at Harry for a moment before looking at Ron.

“Did you hear me think that too?” He asked softly.

“No at the moment, my emotions are going haywire or something. I feel fear in the corner of my brain but in another I feel relieved, and then in the middle of it all there is my confusion.” Ron said essentially describing what they were all feeling at that moment.

“Well the relief is from me, because we have a strong friendship bond. I never really thought something like this would happen to me. I’m grateful for it mind you, but this is all so unbelievable,” Draco said his eyes shining in excitement.

“So because I’m confused that would mean the fear is from…Harry? What are you afraid of mate?” Ron asked turning to look at Harry who had gone quiet in concern.

“The danger I’ve put you both in, I agree with Draco I had read in a few old books in the Black library about bonds like this. But they’re so rare now and days. You both know who I am and what I represent. When he comes back and he will I’ll have put you both in danger because of how connected we are,” Harry said in frustration.

Draco didn’t have to ask who he was and judging by Ron’s face he knew the redhead knew as well. But this was all stupid, granted he knew the Dark Lord was coming back and when he did he knew his father would go to him. Draco wasn’t blind nor oblivious his mother had made sure of it. He would not betray Ron or Harry, or Hermione for that matter.

“I’m already in danger, the minute my father finds out that I’m going to eventually marry a muggleborn witch,” Draco admitted.

“I knew it,” Ron said happily as he looked at Draco.

“Well duh, you could feel his attraction Ron. It grosses you out at times because you don’t like her,” Harry pointed out with a grin.

“Isn’t it a bit early to think about marriage Draco?” Ron asked.

“Yes, but I can wait,” Draco said with shy look before blushing.

Harry grinned before taking a seat on the grass as they went over the bond some more.

“What else does this entitle us to Harry?” Draco asked wanting to move the conversation from him and his infatuation with Hermione.

“I’m not sure; this is all new to me as well. But I do know that as you saw earlier; we can understand each other telepathetically which will come in handy.” Harry said slyly.

“Wicked,” Ron and Draco replied together before chuckling.

“I don’t know what else, since the book about bonds I was reading said each bond is different so we’ll have to sort them out ourselves,” Harry said with a happy shrug.

“That’s cool, I’m looking forward to it,” Draco said with a grin.

“Well what I’m looking forward to is getting out of here, where ever here is.” Ron said rubbing his stomach as it grumbled.

“Figures you were hungry,” Harry teased before perking up.

“We are all growing boys I’m surprised both of you aren’t hungry,” Ron said simply.

“My throat is parched,” Draco mumbled.

“All you have to ask,” Harry said slyly.

“What do you mean?” Ron asked curiously.

“Like this,” Harry said before ordering the dinner they had last night, along with the assorted drinks.

“Is it safe?” Draco asked as he reached for a glass of water.

“Yup, I tested it out earlier,” he said pointing to his now refilled glass of juice.

“Well what are we waiting for?” Ron asked before digging into the food with gusto.

Draco shook his head before following at slower pace, as he served himself. They ate quietly, each person deep in their thoughts. Harry could tell out of the three of them, who was struggling the most with the bond and that was Ron. It wasn’t because the redhead didn’t want it; it was because he hadn’t learned to block his mind so he was getting all of their emotions at once.

“Ron you need to learn how to shield your mind,” Harry finally murmured as he could literally feel himself getting as frustrated as Ron.

“How do I do that?” Ron asked with a frown.

“Focus on your breathing first, relax is another and I will help you,” Harry promised, before instructing him on some basic Occulmency.

Draco watched this silently, not even bothering to know how Harry knew all of this. He wasn’t blind and he knew his best friend had secrets. He also knew that in time Harry would share those secrets, but until then he wouldn’t pressure him. He would be the best friend he could be.

“There take that and work on it every night before you go to sleep,” Harry instructed.

“Wicked, and this will help keep your thoughts in check?” Ron asked curiously.

“Among other things, it will also allow you to keep your emotions in check,” Harry answered as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

“I’ll loan you my book Ron, its called Occulmency. It’s important because of how close we are to Harry that you know it,” Draco replied softly.

“Sounds like a plan,” Ron replied with a grin before returning to his food.

Harry sighed before leaning back on the grass and closing his eyes with a grimace.

“What’s wrong?” Draco asked seeing the pained expression.

“My head hurts,” Harry whimpered before crawling into a ball and holding onto his head.

Draco reached over to help him when he felt like someone was taking a hammer to his skull and beating the knowledge out of him. He could feel his own pain mixed with Harry’s before he knew Ron was feeling the same thing.

“What is this?!” Ron screamed, the food long forgotten.

“I don’t know,” Harry whimpered as he tried to occlude the feeling away. He could feel himself weakening or something and just like before when his eyes started to get black spots in the corner of them he didn’t fight it. When he felt faint he let the darkness take him.

Harry awoke to a dark room , so dark he couldn’t see his hand in front of his face.

“Are we dead or something?” Ron whispered.

“No I think we’re alive, but where the hell are we now?” Draco asked in a frown.

“I don’t know but I wish we had some light,” Harry said with a sigh.

All of a sudden the room was filled with lights and they could now see where they were. Harry looked at the stone covered walls, and deduced that they were in Hogwarts; the question was where in the castle were they?

“Shouldn’t we be in the infirmary?” Ron asked as he looked around.

“Where are we anyway?” Draco asked.

“Somewhere in the castle, where I have no clue,” Harry replied softly as he took in his surroundings. He took in all the blank portraits but one, one that had four familiar people in it.

“It is of no importance young speaker, although if I were you I would remember this room.” A man from the portrait spoke.

Harry looked at him in shock before looking at his friends. “Who are they?” He whispered.

“The Founders,” Draco replied softly.

“Why should I remember this room?” Harry asked carefully.

“Because you need help on your journey, and we know things most people would kill to know. It is your destiny child, a destiny one should never have put upon a child.” Rowena replied softly.

“I can handle it,” Harry replied quietly.

“I know you can, but you shouldn’t have too. We will help you,” Helga said firmly.

Harry was in shock, he hadn’t been aware of them the first time around. He wasn’t sure what they were going to teach him but he was all for it.

“Not to mention, you three still do not know the extent of that bond you hold.” Rowena replied.

“Will you tell us it?” Ron asked, speaking for the first time.

“Among other things, my brave lion; we will help you.” Helga answered.

Harry frowned as he looked at Godric Gryffindor the only person who wasn’t speaking.

“What’s wrong with him?” Harry asked quietly.

“Nothing, he’s just being stubborn at the moment. You are a Potter, and yet you are in Ravenclaw. Though according to Gideon you were worthy enough to be a Slytherin if you chose it,” Rowena replied.

“I couldn’t be Gryffindor or Slytherin; or my godfathers would have been angry,” Harry replied with a shrug.

“I understand child, we will not judge you for your choices.” Helga replied.

~However, I will only be teaching you young one, the importance of parsel magic and everything that entitles,” Salazar hissed.

“I understand, they cannot understand it right?” Harry replied dryly.

“No, they can understand if they tap into the magic of the bond, but I still will not be teaching them.” Salazar replied.

“What, they can speak to snakes? Really,” Harry hissed excitedly before frowning. “And why won’t you teach them?”

“Because you will teach them, I have no desire to spend my time with 3 school boys who don’t want to learn it.” Salazar said haughtily.

“You don’t even know us,” Harry hissed in annoyance.

“I do, these are not our only portraits. Godric has one in the Gryffindor common room, and your redheaded friend prefers chess to everything else. I will only teach you as I’ve said; you are after all the only one who will be able to beat Tom.”

“I understand, though how can they tap into the magic of the bond? Its all so confusing,” Harry replied with a frown.

“I cannot help you with that, it is up to you to uncover the secrets.” Salazar replied before turning back towards the group.

The group by now was staring at both Harry and Slytherin with looks that varied from envy (Draco and Ron) to Annoyance(Godric) and amusement from the women.

“You couldn’t have told him what you wanted in English?” Godric asked.

“I could have, but I know how annoyed you get when you can’t understand it,” Salazar replied teasingly.

“What was that about Harry?” Ron asked eagerly.

“He was telling me about parsel magic and him teaching me,” Harry said happily.

“Oh, guess it doesn’t help up much Ron,” Draco said with a frown.

“Don’t be a prat Draco, he was also telling me that the bond can enable you to speak parsel tongue too,” Harry said obviously excited.

“Wicked,” Ron and Draco replied together.

“I know, the only problem is we gotta figure out how,” Harry said with a slight frown.

“That’s alright we can do it,” Draco said eagerly before someone clearing their throat gained their attention again.

“You’ve been gone for far too long, and you need to get back soon.” Rowena murmured.

“Gone from where? Where did we go?” Ron asked in confusion.

“What she means is, it’s time for you all to wake up,” Godric replied.

“Wake up? We are up,” Draco replied.

“No you aren’t but you will be, remember this room like I said. We cannot help you if you cannot find us again,” Salazar said before snapping his fingers.

“Come on not this again,” Harry replied as he fell to the ground once again holding his head in pain.

Harry moaned softly as bright lights assaulted his eyes, though it was soon dark again, He could feel someone on each side of him and he didn’t have to look to see that it was Draco and Ron. Where were they now? Was he really up this time? He got his answer as he took a breath and took a whiff of the sterilized smell that could only come from the infirmary. What happened to the meadow? He turned his head to the left and found himself looking into the concerned gaze of one of his godfathers.

“Hi,” he croaked softly.

“Hey kiddo you really gave us all quite a scare,” Sirius said with a sigh of relief as Moony went to alert Poppy.

“Sor…” was all he could get out before he started coughing.

“Did you want some water pup?” Sirius asked worriedly as he grabbed a cup of water and held it to his godson’s lips so he could drink.

Harry gladly drank the cool liquid with a happy sigh, finishing it up before looking at his godfather’s appearance for the first time. The man looked haggard and so tired he could see the bags underneath his eyes. Had that been the cause of him? He frowned; he didn’t mean to worry Sirius. If this was how Sirius looked then how was Snape? He looked around the infirmary, his expression getting more and more miserable. Why wasn’t the man here? Didn’t he care for him too?

“Snape stepped out kiddo, he’ll be back I promise,” Sirius said quietly.

The small sliver of jealously that tried to worm its way into his heart all but vanished when he had seen the lost expression on Harry’s face when he realized Snape wasn’t there. He didn’t want to cause him any harm, and they were both his guardians. It did help that he had seen Snape acting human when he seemed to lose control of his emotions for a moment 2 days ago.

Harry nodded before turning his head down. “I’m sorry,” he whispered out.

“What are you sorry for? What do you think you did?” Sirius asked with narrowed eyes.

“I don’t know yet, but I know I’m probably in trouble again,” Harry said with a sigh.

“Actually no this was all Quirrel, he was possessed by Voldemort.” Sirius explained.

“I know, I heard him. He was very displeased with me,” Harry admitted quietly.

“What happened next kiddo?” Sirius murmured when it was obvious Harry didn’t want to go on.

“Can it wait until Uncle Remy and Uncle Sev come in?” Harry pleaded.

“Sure,” Sirius said knowing it was only fair.

Harry sighed in obvious relief as he turned towards Draco once more. He was figuring now would be a good enough time to practice speaking in his thoughts. He closed his eyes to concentrate and found himself being shaken until he opened his eyes once more

“Try to stay awake for me kiddo,” Sirius said his face worried once more. “Moony hurry up,” he called.

“Padfoot I’m not going to fall asleep,” Harry said quickly.

“I take it that’s your godfather yelling and that would mean we’re in the infirmary this time?” Draco asked tiredly, his eyes still closed.

“This time, where else would you guys be?” Sirius asked in confusion.

“Where wouldn’t we be?” Ron asked as he too sat up and looked around. His eyes widened as the doors to the infirmary busted open to reveal Snape and the Headmaster.

“When did they wake up?” Severus asked pulling out his wand.

“Just now,” Sirius replied calmly as Poppy came in behind Remus.

“I told you we were gonna be in trouble,” Harry whispered under his breath.

“And why would you be in trouble?” Remus asked having heard it due to his sensitive hearing.

“Because I got hurt and I wasn’t supposed to?” Harry asked questioningly.

Harry ignored the incredulous looks from Draco and Ron as his words had the obvious effect. Dumbledore once again found himself the scapegoat, which gave them a few moments to gather their wits.

“Alright we need to know everything that happened in the DADA class,” Sirius said firmly.

“Better yet,” Severus murmured before looking at the Headmaster. “Albus may we use your pensieve?”

“Yes I like that idea,” Albus agreed before quickly flooing to his office and grabbing it. Once back into the infirmary he placed it in front of Ron.

“Why do all of us need to do it?” Draco asked in confusion.

“Because all three of you were hurt that day and we need to know how your bond is that strong.” Albus replied.

Harry gave his friends a look before nodding. After getting instructions on how to extract the memories each boy followed suit. Opting out of reviewing the pensive they sat back in the chair as Poppy examined them before serving them some lunch.

The End.
End Notes:
Did I explain the bond enough? No slash is in my story,a and for relationships..I've hinted at a few but at the moment..they are ll years old guys :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2689