Second Chances by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: 153 years old, long after the defeat of the greatest Dark lord of all times, Harry Potter divorcee is alone and depressed. Contemplating suicide his familiar finds a way for him to go back and fix what he regrets not doing the first place.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 57092 Read: 155901 Published: 09 Nov 2011 Updated: 22 Nov 2012
Chapter 4: Return to Diagon Alley by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Please go back and reread Chapter 3, its different and I apologize for that mistake.
 " What happened back there?” Snape asked softly.

“I got scared, I don’t like crowds,” Harry replied.

“I gathered that, I was just a little surprised is all.”

Severus scoffed quietly to himself; the son of James Potter doesn’t like attention, who would have thought? It really was ironic once you think about it; then again Lily never did like being the center of attention either. Clearing his thoughts he turned back to the child who looked like he wanted to say something.

“What is it Potter?”

“Do I have to go back to the Dursleys?”

“Of course Potter, they are your legal guardians.”

“But they aren’t, why can’t you believe that you are my Godfather? Do you just not want me?”

Harry knew that Snape didn’t actually know that he was his Godfather considering he only found out himself when he had searched his vault years after he finished Hogwarts. But the hat did say that he belonged in Slytherin and it was time to use that cunning to get what he wanted. He did feel kind of bad for manipulating Snape but he couldn’t stand living with the Dursleys, especially since Uncle Vernon was roaring mad that he was going to the ‘freaky school’. He looked at the floor and drudged up a bunch of sad memories so he could bring tears to his eyes.

“Its fine just forget it, I like living where I’m at. I get to eat every 2 days, and I love cold showers. You don’t need to take me in, I’m sorry for being a bother. I promise to be quiet for the rest of the day so you won’t have to endure my annoying voice,” he sniffled.

Harry saw Snape’s eyes narrow at his words but didn’t say anything. He couldn’t lay it on too thick otherwise, his teacher was sure to catch on. He grinned inwardly when he heard Snape sigh and ask another question.

“Harry, I have to see some kind of proof, otherwise you’re going to have to stay with the Dursleys. Can I see your parent’s will?”

“If you want, everyone always needs proof from me. Guess I’m destined to be a liar in everyone else’s mind.”

Harry reached for his invisible pouch around his neck and opened it and pulled out the will. Ignoring his teacher’s look of surprise, he knew there was going to be questions about the pouch itself later. He handed the paper to Snape and relaxed in his chair, and watched his Godfather’s carefully blank face crumble. He turned away when his Professor’s eyes took a sad turn to give Snape privacy. He was nodding off in the chair when Snape cleared his throat. But Harry said nothing he just stared at him in silence.

“I didn’t know Harry, and I wasn’t denying you. Would you like to live with me?”

“Ok,” Harry whispered.

“Harry, you said you knew me because you had seen pictures of me. How do you have pictures of me?”

“I don’t know, they were just in this pouch. It’s been around my neck for as long as I can remember and I can’t take it off. It has pictures of you and my mum as kids, along with my dad and his friends.”

Harry took note that at the minute his father was mention Snape face took a familiar scowl, it was time to do something his dad and Sirius should have done a long time ago.

“I’m sorry Uncle Severus for how Sirius and my dad treated you. I promise you I’m not a bully.”

Severus stared at the child in shock, now it was his turn to think that the child could read minds. He knew without a doubt that Harry wasn’t a bully, if anything he was just like Severus, always the victim. He quickly signed the papers to transfer guardianship to him and they went down to their vaults to withdraw money.

By the time they left Gringotts Harry was officially the ward of Severus Snape; Phase One complete he thought. Harry figured that when they got to Hogwarts and he met the Headmaster then he could take care of Sirius and Peter. He also needed to inform the Headmaster of all the Horcruxes except for the resurrection stone. Harry refused to allow him to fall victim to that curse again. Harry really wanted to get see Hedwig again, he also wanted to get a snake, he didn’t care if they found out he was a parsel tongue. He was also curious to see if this time around he could make the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets his familiar, well he wouldn’t know until he got to Hogwarts.

Severus not knowing how he was feeling about all this, wanted to get Harry to Hogwarts so he could have him checked out in the infirmary. Something about the Dursleys wasn’t sitting right with him, and Harry’s tearful rant seemed to confirm it. If Dursely had hurt Lily’s child and his godson he was definitely going to pay, he would make sure of it.

“Harry, we’re going to come back shopping for your school things tomorrow ok?”

Harry frowned, why couldn’t just shop now they were already here. He shook away that childish thought, he didn’t care about his things he just wanted Hedwig.

“Can I just get a pet then, please Uncle Severus?”

“Alright brat, since it’s right next to Ollivanders you can also get your wand today.”

“Cool”

Severus led the way to the Magical Menagerie and he looked at a few tawny owls while Harry made a beeline for a Snowy white owl. He listened as the clerk attempted to warn him about that particular owl’s temper. Severus watched as Harry opened the cage and stuck his arm out, and the bird land on it. Severus and the store clerk watched in amazement as the boy and the bird bonded directly in front of their eyes. Harry turned around and gave them a wide smile before saying;

“Fly to Hogwarts Hedwig, I’ll meet you there.”

Severus shook his head as the bird took off and Harry paid for the bird and he turned to leave when he heard Harry call him to wait.

Harry was so excited that he met with Hedwig again; after they bonded he breathed a sigh of relief he was glad that he could talk to someone else who understood what he was going through. Somehow his Hedwig had ended up in the body of this bird, whatever happened he was glad for it. But since he was already here he wanted to get a pet snake.

“Uncle Severus, are you allowed to bring two pets?”

“No Harry, usually students are only allowed one.”

“Oh, I wanted a pet for just home,” Harry replied with his sad green eyes. He knew Severus couldn’t resist them; he never could especially when his mother was the owner of them.

“What did you want Harry, I’m sure we could make an exception just this once.”

“A snake, they always have something funny to say.”

“What did you say? Can you understand them Harry?”

Severus turned to stare at Harry in horror, he was a parselmouth? What did that mean? He shook his head, he didn’t know what to think but apparently for once his thoughts were shown all over his face.

“Yup, it doesn’t make me evil Uncle Severus. I won’t turn into a Dark Lord,” Harry replied with a glare that was so reminisce of Snape that the Professor himself did a double take.

“I wasn’t going to say that Harry,” Severus said apologetically.

“No but you were thinking it, that’s even worse.”

“How did you know I was thinking it?”

“It was all over your face for once. Usually your face is blank, but this had an expression of fear. I would never hurt you, you’re my family.”

Severus stared at Harry; did he really just hear the child refer to him as a part of his family? He didn’t know how to reply to that and he was actually feeling a bit choked up. He knew that Harry wasn’t going to turn evil because if he did he knew the Dursleys would’ve died a long time ago. Severus cleared his throat, now was not the time to get emotional, he turned his head so Harry couldn’t see.

Harry saw how big the impact his words had on Snape, and tears sprung into his own eyes, and he walked to Snape and hugged him. Everybody could do with more hugs he thought, as Snape’s arms awkwardly came around him. He quickly purchased a small but deadly snake, and they headed to Ollivanders which threw Harry for a loop. Harry refused to let go of Snape’s hand, he knew people wouldn’t dare try to approach him with his Potion’s Master sneering at them and he relished in it. And he couldn’t prevent the giggle that bubbled out of his throat, since when was he not afraid of Snape? He had never felt so secure then he did now, even if he was technically 153 years old and besides no one knew about, but he forgot to think about Ollivander. Walking into the shop he looked around and actually felt the magic in the shop, it was freaking him out. His hand automatically went to his hidden wand to assure his self that it was still there.

“Hello,” he all but whispered out.

“Hello there Mr. Potter, I was wondering when I would be seeing you. Oh my! Good heavens, maybe I should just let you pick out your own wand since I’m sure you know it already. Merlin and you mastered that too, why you decided to come back here is the question.”

Harry for his part had forgotten about Ollivanders gift, and was staring at him in a mixture of disbelief, shock, and horror. His whole plan was about to be messed up all because of the wandmaker. Ignoring Severus’s inquiring look he walked to the wandmaker and whispered a quick quiet before exclaiming;

“Did you mean this one sir?” He said gesturing to one way beyond the counter and Severus’s line of vision. As soon as they were out of sight, he attempted to explain his plan to the wandmaker and he hoped he would keep his mouth shut.

“Do you think it will work?”

“It will, but are you going to accept the consequences if they don’t?”

“Yes, but I don’t plan on failing.”

“They never do Harry Potter. Tell me you mastered death in another life am I correct?”

“Yes sir, will I have to do it this time around too?”

“No, all you have to do is call them to you and they will answer you.”

“You scared me and Severus out there, a little warning next time ok?”

“Sure and Mr. Potter, might I suggest looking a little teary eyed so it can seem like I upset you a bit, so he won’t asked what we talked about. And here is your old Holly wand, just tell him about them being brother wands and you should have no problem. I don’t think I need to tell you that you will do great things do I?”

“No sir, I know I will.”

Harry walked back to Severus his wand hanging limply in his left hand and his head looking at the ground. He was focusing on making the tears come that he nearly missed Severus asking if he was ok.

“Can we go now Uncle Severus?” Harry asked miserably.

Severus paid for Harry’s wand and they walked out the shop, what was wrong with the child he thought.

“What happened in there Harry, what’s wrong? What did he say to you?”

“This,” here Harry pointed at his wand with such revulsion that made Severus look at it intently, “is the brother wand to the Dark Lord. He said he expects great things from me. After all he-who-must-not-be-named did terrible things but they were great nonetheless. I don’t want to do great things Uncle Severus, I’m just Harry.”

Severus shook his head, why in the world did Ollivander give advice to every single person who came to buy a wand, why they couldn’t just buy one without the commentary was beyond him. He took a good look at the child next to him; if he was being honest he would’ve been terrified himself.

Harry’s shoulders were shaking now with his teeth chattering, tears were blurring his vision and he couldn’t see. Snape picked him up and he settled down a bit, and they apparated to Hogsmead. Harry was sniffling, and he refused to be put down. All he had to think about was the battle of Hogwarts and he was a sobbing mess. But he looked up long enough to see the castle, in all her glory.

“Whoa,” he breathed, he was finally home.

The End.
End Notes:
Review and thanks


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2689