Second Chances by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: 153 years old, long after the defeat of the greatest Dark lord of all times, Harry Potter divorcee is alone and depressed. Contemplating suicide his familiar finds a way for him to go back and fix what he regrets not doing the first place.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 57092 Read: 155911 Published: 09 Nov 2011 Updated: 22 Nov 2012
Chapter 8: Return of the Marauders by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
*Slight profanity in this chapter*

Enjoy and Always review

               

*Phoenixa*          

  Harry watched as they binded Peter with handcuffs that wouldn’t allow him to transform before they flooed away. He sighed softly in relief and trilled to Fawkes, he wanted to know if he would do him a huge favor.

*Fawkes, do you know who I am?*

*Of course I do my child; I can also see that you are not from this world and that I will eventually become bonded to you. What are you doing back here?*

*I needed to fix a lot of things, I won the war but at a price that I couldn’t live with. I had to come back otherwise everyone’s sacrifice for me would have been in vain because I would have killed myself*

* You were in that much pain young one? I hoped I was able to help you*

*You did, it was you who told me about the ancient spell.*

*Then I am glad, even though I am bonded to Albus I will still come to you when you call me. And I will be happy to send you that letter to your wolf friend*

*How did you know that? We aren’t bonded yet Fawkes how did you know what I was thinking?*

*I may not be bonded to you now, but I was in another life and I will when Albus is gone. Don’t worry about how, just know that I will always be there for you*

*Thanks, you, Annabelle, and Hedwig are the only things keeping me sane here*

Harry got a little teary eyed when he said that but it was true, only the magical animals knew who he really was. And it was nice to know that he wasn’t alone here.

*You could tell Albus or Severus you know, I don’t think they would be mad*

*Can’t tell anyone, Ollivander already knows and if someone else were to find out it would be bad for me. You know that, and I have to complete my mission.*

*I understand young one but don’t fret about it, I won’t tell him unless you tell me too*

Harry quickly wrote a letter to Remus, and handed it to Fawkes to deliver.

*I’d better go, I’ve been away from the infirmary too long and I don’t want to worry Severus or Poppy again.*

*Grab my tail and I’ll flash you there on my way to sending your letter.*

*Thanks Fawkes, I appreciate it just let me say goodbye to Albus*

Harry turned back to the Headmaster who was calmly eating a lemon drop and watching them communicate.

“Sorry Headmaster, I know that was a bit rude.”

“Not at all my boy, quite the opposite it was very interesting. Fawkes hasn’t treated another person like he does you, I wonder why that is?”

“I don’t know, I just love animals and he knows it I guess,” Harry lied.

“I think it’s more than that Harry, and I think you know what it is. Don’t worry Harry I’m not asking you to tell me, you can have your secrets. I don’t think I need to tell you to take care of him do I?”

“No sir, I will. I’d better get back before Uncle Severus gets mad, or worse Poppy.”

“Don’t I know it Harry, she can get pretty feisty when you don’t listen,” Albus replied laughing.

“See you later Headmaster,” Harry replied then grabbed Fawkes tail and they flashed away to the infirmary.         

    He landed in the middle of the infirmary to the surprise of both Severus and Poppy who stared at him in shock at his companion, he whispered a goodbye to Fawkes and the bird flashed away. They continued to stare at him silent and he started to feel a bit self-conscious and he decided to speak up.

“That was Fawkes, in case you were wondering.”

“We know he is Harry, we are curious to know why he was with you.”

“He flashed me here.”

“Where were you?”

“The Headmaster’s Office”

“Why didn’t you at least inform one of us where you were going to be; especially after your attack yesterday?”

“Well I did leave a note.”

“Where is it Harry?”

“On my pillow”        

    Harry pointed and sure enough the note was still there, he tried to figure out how they missed it. He ignored their apologetic expressions in favor or asking Severus what time they were leaving. He wanted to see Sirius before he left.

“What time are we leaving Uncle Severus?”

“After lunch, speaking of food have you eaten breakfast yet?”

“No sir I wasn’t hungry.”

“Well regardless of that you’re eating now.”       

     Harry sighed as a tray of food appeared, and he ate slowly as he thought about getting to hug Sirius again, it seemed so surreal to him. He finished breakfast, was declared healed by Poppy and he followed Severus to his Potion’s lab. After the war Harry found out how hard good potions were to come by, and he educated himself until he was an efficient brewer. He was glad he was back in a potions lab, it was very calming. Harry watched his godfather work for a while before quietly grabbing a book, a cauldron, and ingredients. He chose to make a calming draught, it was extremely simple to make and he didn’t even need the book, it was only for show. He soon got lost in his work and Severus didn’t notice a thing. As he was bottling the potion Fawkes flashed in and startled him, where he knocked over a few empty vials and gaining his godfather’s attention.

*Sorry about that Harry, I just wanted to inform you that Sirius Black has arrived and he is in the Headmaster’s Office. Remus Lupin is on his way to Hogwarts and he should be here in the next 25 minutes.*

*It’s ok Fawkes, and thanks for telling me.*

As the phoenix flashed away Harry hurriedly returned to bottling his potion until he realized Severus was looking at him strangely. He didn’t think he’d messed up on his Potion but he guessed he did, why else would he be looking at him like that?

“Is there something wrong with my potion Uncle Severus?”

“Nothing it’s perfect, I’m just trying to figure out how you made it.”

“I read the book Uncle Severus it was easy, can you help me bottle it?”

“Harry this is a 3rd year potion and you’re not even a 1st year yet. How was it easy?”

“It’s kind of like cooking I guess. I don’t know but I won’t do it again Uncle Sev, I didn’t mean to make you angry.”

“I’m not angry Harry, a little shocked and impressed yes. I don’t want you to not to do this anymore, you have an exceptional gift. Here let me show you how to bottle those magically without damaging them.”

“What did Fawkes want Harry?”

“The Headmaster wants to see me.”

“I’ll clean up this and I’ll meet you there. I also want to know later how this potion was easy to you.”

“Ok, I’ll see you in a bit."    

      Harry took off running as soon as he stepped out the lab, Sirius was here. He ran the whole way from the Dungeons to Albus’s office. He gasped out the password to the gargoyle and ran up the stairs and through the door. He stopped in the doorway to catch his breath and saw Sirius stand up and smile at him. Harry couldn’t believe it, he was alive and mostly well.

“Padfoot,” he whispered.        

    Harry saw Sirius’s mouth open in shock when he heard Harry call him by his nickname. He didn’t think that he would know who he was at all; he couldn’t believe that it was Harry alone who got him out of that hell. In the next second Harry had launched himself at Sirius who caught him out of reflex and held him tight. Harry couldn’t stop the tears from coming as he knew they would and he hugged Sirius tightly back.

“I heard what you did for me kiddo, and I want to thank you for believing in me. How did you know where Peter was anyways?”

“He was in the same place he’s always been for the past 11 years,” Harry replied sniffling.

“And where was that Harry?”       

     Before Harry could answer he heard Albus say enter and Severus walked in. The minute he caught sight of Sirius he scowled and pulled his wand out and pointed at him. Harry frowned this was not good he thought, these two hate each other with a passion and he didn’t know what to do if they were to start fighting.

“What are you doing out of prison Black? Harry, get away from him before he hurts you.”          

  Harry frowned Severus had seen the will he knew Sirius was innocent, so what the hell was he doing?

“He’s innocent Uncle Severus and now the whole world knows,” Harry replied holding up the Daily Prophet as proof.

“What did you call him Harry?” Sirius asked confusion covering his tone.

“Uncle Severus, he’s my godfather.”

“No Harry I’m your godfather,” Sirius argued.

“No your one of them, my mum chose him and dad chose you.”

“Merlin no,” Sirius choked out.

“I’m also his guardian,” Severus replied smugly.

“Like hell you are,” Sirius angrily yelled.

Harry winced at the raised voices, this was going horrible he thought and he was right.

“I’ll contest it, Harry belongs with me not you, you greasy git. What gave you the right to think you could ever have him?”

“Obviously Lily did when she named me as his other godfather. Name calling are we Black real mature, you can try to get custody of him but you’ve been in Azkaban for the past 11 years. I don’t think your mental health is there, and I know the court will see that too.”

“Doesn’t matter they wronged me and they know it. They owe me, besides with your death eater past, you know they will choose me. A former death eater as the guardian of Harry Potter I don’t think so. Besides when it all boils down, I know Harry will choose me.”          

  Harry was currently gaping at his Gryffindor godfather in shock, granted he knew that Severus was a spy but what if he didn’t? What Sirius did was low, and everyone in the room seemed to second his opinion. Harry looked at Severus who had this tortured expression on his face and Albus who face held disbelief. He had to say something he didn’t want Snape to start doubting his sincerity towards him now, he needed him in more ways then one.

“He was a fucking spy for the light side, you and everyone else in this room knows that Padfoot. Allegations like that will not make me choose you; if anything it makes me ashamed to know that you would stoop that low. How would you like it if he was to tell me how you and dad were bullies in school and no one did anything to make you stop? Did you think I would be proud of that? My father and godfather bullied my other godfather and then my mother by association, why in the bloody hell would I be proud of something like that? I was bullied every day of my life, you are no better than Dudley. It’s good that my father got married and had a kid, he grew up but you don’t have any of that, so you didn’t. Another thing, don’t speak for me, because at this moment I wouldn’t choose you.” Harry replied breathing heavy; he was tired of their excuses.

After being a victim of bullying he didn’t tolerate it, of any kind. For the most part everyone was staring at him in shock, but it had to be said. He looked at Severus who seemed to have something close to pride in his eyes, and Harry smiled inwardly at that.

“Watch your language Harry,” Severus finally replied.

“Sorry it slipped,” Harry replied blushing.

Harry could see the betrayal and hurt in Sirius’s expression and he wouldn’t allow himself to be caught up in the middle of their fight anymore.

“If either of you tries to make me choose between you, I’ll pick neither. I would rather go back to the Dursleys then choose among you two.”

“The bloody hell you aren’t,” Severus retorted.

“Your language Uncle Severus,” Harry replied smiling.

“This is serious Harry, you will never be returning there especially not after they treated you.”

“You lived with Petunia and her whale of a husband? Why were you not with Snape? And what did they do to you Harry?”

Harry said nothing he didn’t want Sirius to know about his treatment at the Dursleys. But the choice was taken away from him.

“They starved him and tried to beat the ‘freak’ out of him, and this child actually believes he deserves it,” Severus answered for Harry.

“What did you say? Where were you when all this happened, why didn’t you take him? You probably relished the idea of James Potter’s child getting what he deserved I bet!”

“How dare you say that? I don’t condone any type of child abuse against any children no matter whom their parents are!”

“THEN WHY DIDN’T YOU TAKE HIM IN? STILL HOLDING A GRUDGE SNIVELLUS?”

“STOP IT PLEASE!” Harry yelled, he had finally had enough.

He turned around and ran out the office. He hated fighting and yelling it reminded him to much of the Dursleys and his failed marriage. He didn’t know where he was going; he was just running with his eyes blurred from his tears. He crashed into someone and looked up to see who it was. Remus was looking down at him with worry in his eyes, and he helped him up.

“Are you ok child?”

“Moony do you know who I am?”

“Yes Harry I do, only shouldn’t I be asking you that question?”          

  Harry already emotional from meeting Sirius again, and all the memories the yelling drudged up he hugged Remus tight and attempted to stem his tears. He softly sniffled and Remus heard him due to his werewolf senses.

“What’s wrong cub?”

“My godfather’s are fighting.”

“Your godfathers, you mean to tell me you have more than one?”

“Yes Sirius and Severus, and they hate each other.”

“Oh yes I know they do, childhood grudges die hard Harry.”       

     Harry didn’t reply he was getting tired and he continued leaning against Remus who chuckled softly before picking him up.

“Are you ready to go back Harry, their probably worried about you?”

“Serves them right, I don’t want to go back.”

“Why not Harry?”

“I’m too tired,” he replied face in Remus’s shoulder.

“I gathered that, I’ll carry you ok?”

“Ok Uncle Remmy.”Remus smiled softly at Harry’s name for him, he was glad that after all these years his cub still remembered who he was.           

 Back in the Headmaster’s office Severus sat down in a chair to control his temper. He had forgotten about Harry’s anxiety to loud, angry voices, Damn Dursleys he thought. He wondered where the child had run off too.

“Snape what was wrong with Harry?”

“He doesn’t like loud voices and we were shouting at each other. Yelling to him was always followed by a hit in the Dursely household.”

“I’ll kill them,” Sirius muttered angrily.

“And you’ll end up back in Azkaban forever; think of what that will do to Harry.”

“Fine, but he is going to pay. No one hurts our godson and thinks he can get away with it.”       

     Albus smiled secretly the child had no clue what he was truly capable of. He had brought two enemies together to have a semi civil conversation. He laughed inwardly at the thought that this time next year they would probably be friends. It was still puzzling how Harry seemed to know things he should have no knowledge of, he briefly pondered if the child knew anything about the prophesy. He heard someone knock on his door and he granted them access. It was Remus Lupin holding a sleeping Harry Potter.

“Hello, anyone lose a child?” Remus said smiling.

“YO MOONY, HAVEN'T YOU HEARD, I’M INNOCENT!”

“Quiet Black, Harry’s sleeping. Give him here Lupin so you can have your reunion.”           

 Remus handed Harry to Severus and he watched as Snape gently rested Harry’s head against his shoulder. That small gesture made him smile; he always knew that Severus had a heart. Harry was showing them the side of Severus that only Lily ever got to see.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2689