Memory Box by Toria
Summary: Professor Snape allowed Harry to invite his two best friends to stay with them for his thirteenth birthday, and the three friends spent some time remembering their first two years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: Monumentally Hard... but fun challenge
Challenges: Monumentally Hard... but fun challenge
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 8385 Read: 8541 Published: 11 Nov 2011 Updated: 16 Aug 2014
Chapter 2 by Toria

It had stopped raining the next day thankfully, and after a breakfast of bacon and eggs, the trio set off for Hagrid's Hut in glorious sunshine. Hagrid was happy to see them all, and eagerly showed them where he was building a new pumpkin patch ready for the new school year. He also said that he had some exciting news for them about the next school year, but they would have to wait until the term started to find out. And no matter how much they asked him, he wouldn't say anything else. They gave up asking in the end, and brought the conversation round to Norbert. Harry had been right, Hagrid did still have the egg shell, and was more than willing to give them a piece when he heard about their time capsule project.

It was Hermione who had the piece of shell wrapped up and in her pocket when they left Hagrid's Hut mid morning. They sat down in the grass near the entrance to the school and watched the Whomping Willow for a while. As much as he was looking forward to going back to school, it was nice to have some time with his friends without the stresses of school work, Harry contemplated. He lay back in the grass and enjoyed the sun on his face. "Professor Snape seemed really friendly this morning," Hermione commented after a time, and Harry felt a little guilty. Should he tell his friends what he had been discussing with his guardian last night? He decided that he probably should, and sat up.

"I kind of mentioned last night that all three of you seemed uncomfortable around each other," he admitted, mumbling but he knew they would both hear him. Both Ron and Hermione looked at him, and to Harry's surprise it was Ron who broke the silence.

"What did you do that for?!" he demanded to know.

"I just wanted you all to enjoy this visit," Harry defended himself. "I'm hoping that I'll be staying with Professor Snape again next summer," he said quietly, and Hermione lay a gentle hand on his arm. "I don't want to have to go back to the Dursley's."

"And what was Professor Snape's response last night?" Hermione wanted to know.

"He accused me of not being the scared little Gryffindor he took in at the beginning of the summer," Harry told her with a smile. "His words, not mine!" Both Ron and Hermione laughed with him, and Harry looked at Ron. "He's really not that bad once you get to know him, he's done a lot for me this summer."

"As long as you're happy," Ron told him with a smile.

"Yep," Harry happily replied. "But we'd better head in for lunch, we'll be in trouble if we're late." Harry was the one who had to lead the way down to Snape's quarters, the only time Ron and Hermione had even come down to the dungeons was for Potions class. "You'd better hide the shell in your bag Hermione and take it home with you," Harry said, thinking out loud. "I don't fancy having to explain to Professor Snape where we got part of a dragon eggshell from!"

The three entered Professor Snape's quarters laughing, and managed to startle their Potions Professor. "Hungry?" he asked them, and got affirmative answers in response. Hermione disappeared to her room to 'clean up', and Harry and Ron followed suit so as not to arouse the suspicion of their teacher. Harry didn't like hiding something from his guardian, although the dragon eggshell was harmless, but Hagrid had been his first ever friend and Harry would not get him in trouble. He had a feeling that his Potions Professor would have quite a lot to say on the subject of illegal dragon breeding, and he had absolutely no desire to hear any of it.

There was a little more conversation at lunch, as Hermione made an effort, as did Professor Snape. Ron still didn't seem to know what to do with himself though. Harry couldn't help smirking at him on occasion, causing his best friend to glare at him. Though once they were alone in Harry's room they both dissolved into giggles. "It's not funny Harry," Ron told him, as Harry grabbed his broom from where it was propped up in the corner. They re-entered the common to find a very awkward looking Hermione and Professor Snape attempting to have a conversation. The two boys shared a look, but wisely didn't say anything.

They were soon outside again, heading for the Quidditch Pitch, Ron with permission from Professor Snape to use one of the school's brooms. Hermione had permission aswell, but she wasn't a fan of flying and had instead brought a book along to read in the stands. Harry had been living in the wizarding world for two years now, and flying was one of the things he loved most about it. Harry and Ron spent an enjoyable afternoon flying, and the three friends met Professor Snape on their way back to the castle. Their Potions Professor reached out a hand to try and flatten Harry's hair, which was even more of a mess than usual after playing with his friend all afternoon. "The sooner I get you that hat the better," his guardian muttered, and Harry gave him half a smile and a small laugh, not entirely sure of himself. Both Ron and Hermione looked at him, but neither one questioned their friend or their teacher.

Professor Snape escorted them back to the school. "We're not late are we, Professor?" Hermione asked nervously.

"No, Miss Granger," Professor Snape reassured her. "I was just getting some fresh air." Ron almost choked at that statement, and Harry couldn't stop himself from sniggering and earned himself a light smack on the back of the head from his Potions teacher.

"Oww," he complained, even though it didn't hurt and mock-pouted at his Professor while rubbing his head. He just received a smirk in return, from both his teacher and from Ron.

It had started to rain lightly after the evening meal and Professor Snape wouldn't let them go back outside. So Harry had got his chess set out, and the three were sat on the floor in the common room. They were going to play winner stays on, but in reality it was Ron playing against Harry and Hermione since he was so much better at chess than either of his two friends. Professor Snape joined them in the room after a while, although he didn't seem to be paying them any attention, he was reading another Potions Journal. Harry, Ron and Hermione eventually grew tired of their game, and pushed the chess set to one side. They started to talk about their time capsule and a bright red Hermione admitted that she still had the get well card that Lockhart had sent her last year when she had been stuck in the hospital wing after almost turning herself into a cat. Neither Ron nor Harry could stop their laughter, and Professor Snape turned his attention to the three Gryffindors sat on his floor. "Oh, shut up!" Hermione told them both grumpily, but that didn't stop either Ron or Harry from laughing.

"Sorry Hermione," Harry managed to apologise after a few minutes, but he was still laughing slightly and was still somewhat breathless. Hermione didn't look quite that ready to forgive their laughter yet, and Ron still hadn't got himself under control. "But that is exactly the type of thing we want for the time capsule," Harry attempted to pacify his friend. "Especially since it reminds us of several things from second year." He knew both of his friends were smart enough not to mention anything to do with Polyjuice Potion in front of their teacher. He was never going to tell his guardian that it was him who threw the firework into Goyle's potion in class that day, or that Hermione had stolen from his stores. Nor that they had brewed an incredibly difficult and dangerous potion and had used it to sneak into the Slytherin common room. There were some things that Professor Snape simply did not need to know. And a lot of Harry's first two years at Hogwarts seemed to come under that catergory.

Ron had managed to stop laughing, but his only contribution to the conversation was; "Lockhart was such a fraud!"

Hermione glared at him, but didn't attempt to argue. She knew that what Ron had said was correct, even if she hadn't wanted to admit it at the end of the last school year. But she would admit that she hadn't learnt much that was useful in Defence Against the Dark Arts last year, although she had learnt plenty about Gilderoy Lockhart. Not that she would ever need any of that information in the future. "I wonder if he had stopped talking about himself whether or not Professor Lockhart would have made a good teacher?" Hermione pondered. "He was very self-centred," she admitted.

Harry and Ron just looked at each other, and then at her, as if she had gone absolutely mad. Sensing that Hermione was still slightly stung from their laughter earlier, Ron attempted to be diplomatic. "I wouldn't know," he told her. "I can't see past his self-centredness!"

"You'd sooner see a flying purple hippogriff than see past Gilderoy Lockhart's conceitedness," their Potions Professor told them, and all three Gryffindor students turned towards him in shock, especially considering what it was he had just said. They had forgotten he was in the room anyway, and they certainly hadn't been aware that he could hear their conversation.

"Flying purple hippogriff?!" Harry questioned his guardian and teacher. He turned towards his two friends. "Did he just say 'flying purple hippogriff'?" he asked them. Hermione just nodded mutely, still staring at her Professor and trying to comprehend that he had in fact just said something pretty silly. Ron couldn't help himself and let out a snort of laughter before hastily trying to convert it into a cough. Harry turned back to look at his Professor, attempting to ignore his two shellshocked friends for the time being, one still staring mutely, and one now having a coughing fit, and gave the man a puzzled look. He received a raised eyebrow and a shrug in return, and Professor Snape calmly returned to reading his Potions Journal, seemingly unaware of the disarray he had just caused. Harry shook his head as if to clear it, and then looked at his two friends, slightly worried. He was getting used to Professor Snape's little quirks as the man slowly let him get to know him, but to his friends that comment had just come from completely out of the blue. "I don't even know what a flying purple hippogriff is," he commented.

That, at least, seemed to snap Hermione out of her stupor, and she went into school mode. "I don't think they exist," she told him. "Hippogriffs are real of course, and they can fly since they have the head, front legs and wings of an eagle, and the body of a horse. But they aren't purple." She sounded as matter of fact as she did when she answered a question in class and Harry smiled at her, some things would never ever change. And he knew he could usually rely upon Hermione to have the answer.

"And if such things don't exist then we are more likely to see one than to ever see an unselfish Gilderoy Lockhart," Ron figured out.

"Correct, Mr Weasley," Professor Snape told him from where is was obviously still listening into their conversation. Now Ron was gaping silently at his Professor.

Harry gave a sigh, although he wasn't really annoyed. "Do you find it amusing to keep startling my friends?" he asked his Professor.

"I don't know what you're talking about Harry," Professor Snape told him, and Harry couldn't tell if the man was only feiging innocence, or if he actually meant it. Currently Ron was the one staring silently at their Potions Professor, clearly shocked, and Hermione was trying hard not to giggle. Harry rolled his eyes. It was better than awkward silence, but he was quite enjoying pretending to be annoyed. He suddenly realised that the evening was beginning to draw in, and he idly began to tidy away the chess set, knowing that his Professor would send them to bed soon. He was quite strict about bedtime even though he had allowed him and Ron to get away with talking for what seemed like half the night on his friend's first night here.

Hermione observed what Harry was doing and checked the time. She excused herself to have a shower before bed, and Ron followed suit, leaving Harry alone with his guardian. Harry hesitated for a moment, before going and perching on the couch next to his teacher. "Good day?" Professor Snape asked him, looking slightly concerned.

"Brilliant," Harry told him with a smile. He had really missed his friends, but not as badly as he had during the last summer holidays during all the chaos Dobby had caused. And it had been a good day, with visiting Hagrid and flying with Ron. Nothing special had happened, but it had been a nice day all the same.

"So have you made any progress with the time capsule?" Professor Snape asked him. Harry wasn't sure why his teacher wanted to know, but he did occasionally ask questions about what Harry was doing. He was his guardian, for the summer at least, and therefore he took some interest in Harry's life.

"We've thought of some more things to put in it," Harry told him, "but Ron and Hermione will need to bring some of the stuff from their homes as they don't have it here."

"And are you then going to bury it and dig it up when you have finished Hogwarts?" Professor Snape asked him.

The question shouldn't really of puzzled Harry, but it did. Most people did bury time capsules and then dig them up years later but he didn't really think that was what he, Ron and Hermione had had in mind when they dreamt the project up. "Erm, I'm not sure," he told his teacher honestly. "We haven't really thought that far ahead," he admitted. Which was unlike Hermione he mused silently.

The question was still turning over in Harry's mind as he lay in bed that night, although it wasn't really important. Professor Snape had come in to say goodnight as he always did, and he had warned him and Ron about talking tonight. No matter how much students of Hogwarts complained that they hated Snape, they all obeyed him, and Ron was certainly not going to risk his teacher's wrath whilst staying with him even though Harry would have been willing to risk whispering. He rolled over and decided to ask his friends about the whole burying the time capsule thing in the morning.

The next day passed in a blaze of brilliant sunshine again. Hermione had amazed at how quiet the Hogwarts' grounds where when they had them to themselves all day, as they once again spent the entire day outside in the warm sunshine. They had visited Hagrid again, played with Fang for a while and Ron and Harry had been flying again. It was so hot that they had even gone paddling in the lake, and then had lain in the grass near the edge of the lake in the sun for a while. It was when they were lazing in the sun near the lake that Harry raised the question of burying the box. "I'd thought of that as well Harry," Hermione told her two friends, neither of whom were surprised at this fact. They had debated the pros and cons of burying the box for a while before coming to a decision.

It didn't rain that evening, so they weren't stuck inside and they'd barely seen Professor Snape all day. Not until it was almost bedtime and they were sat on the rug in the common room and he gave them all some lotion to put on, saying that he feared they were sunburned with the amount of time they had spent outside that day. None of them could argue with that assessment, they were all a bit pink skinned, and they all took the lotion with awkward muttered thanks. Hermione and Ron seemed to disappear quickly, leaving Harry sat on the rug by himself staring into the unlit fire. He had been surprised to find that he had been quite looking forward to the small conversation he found himself having with his Professor each night, but now it felt strange. He didn't think Professor Snape had been telling them all off when he had given them the lotion, he certainly hadn't raised his voice, but Harry wasn't entirely sure. There may have been a little reproach in his Professor's tone of voice and he thought maybe Ron and Hermione had picked up on that as well, especially considering how quickly they had then disappeared. "Come here and let me put some of that lotion on the back of your neck, Harry," his Professor told him, and Harry wasn't going to disobey. He went and sat next to his Professor on the couch, turning his back to the other man slightly, and couldn't contain a hiss when the cool lotion hit his warm neck. Professor Snape began to massage his neck gently. "I was wondering," Professor Snape began, and Harry thought that he sounded somewhat hesitant, "whether you would like to invite the Weasley family and Miss Granger's parents to Hogwarts on your birthday?" his guardian asked him. "We could have picnic by the lake, and you youngs ones could play around." His guardian sounded somewhat distasteful at the playing around comment, but Harry was confident that it was just for show. And probably in case Hermione or Ron were listening in, even though Harry knew they wouldn't. Professor Snape probably knew that as well.

Harry twisted around to face his teacher. "Really?" he asked, barely able to believe what he was hearing.

His Professor gave him a small smile. "Really," he was told. "I thought you would like to celebrate your birthday." Harry just nodded, barely able to speak. And he couldn't wait to run off to his room to tell Ron the news. "And no doubt Professor Dumbledore will come as well," Professor Snape told him.

"And Hagrid?" Harry asked. Hagrid who had given him his first ever birthday present.

"I'm sure he'll be delighted with an invite if you ask him," his Potions Professor said. Harry couldn't stop the grin which was threatening to split his face in two.

"This is going to be brilliant!" he said, and Professor Snape gave him an indulgent smile. "It's going to be even better than the last few days."

"Still enjoying yourself?" his teacher asked him.

"Yep," Harry replied. It was quickly turning into the best summer holiday he had ever had. "We didn't do much today, but it was still fun."

"That's what summer days are for," Professor Snape said. "Rest and relaxation before the hard work of the school year arrives." Harry was sure there was a hint that he was expected to do well at school academically in there.

"Oh, and we decided that we aren't going to bury the time capsule," Harry told him as an after thought, and received a raised eyebrow. This was what he had been eager to talk to his Professor about, but then his Professor had shocked all thoughts of his and his friends project out of his mind by asking him if he wanted a birthdya party. "We're going to call it a Memory Box instead, and just fill it with special items to remind us of our time at Hogwarts." And if their first two years at Hogwarts were anything to go by then they would have a lot to remember. And now Harry had his first ever birthday party to look forward to.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2695