Unforgiveable Sirius by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Sirius does something to Harry that he shouldnt and he shatters the poor boy's last hope of finally having a family. He's lost and hurt and terrfied with no one to turn to. No one but the man who has made his life miserable anyway he could. How can Snape help Harry,when he hates him himself; or does he?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Azkaban Character, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Profanity
Prompts: Unforgivable Sirius
Challenges: Unforgivable Sirius
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: No Word count: 105870 Read: 280671 Published: 18 Nov 2011 Updated: 11 Nov 2020
Chapter 19 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
A/N- This is an incredibly long chapter. This is by far the longest chapter at around 17 pages *cheers loudly* Enjoy this guys, this chapter took a bit of a turn. And I hope you like it, its an incredibly emotional chapter considering what I was listening to it to get it. Anyways read on :)

Albus watched the pathetic excuse for a woman; in front of him quiver in fear. He was a very good liar if he chose to be one and he had in fact done it again. He hadn’t spoken at all to Cornelius but she didn’t know that, he did however know that Fudge would back him up if it came to it. He already knew how powerful a figure he was in the wizarding world, as did everyone else.

“I think I should arrange a meeting with Cornelius so we can figure out the best way to handle this. He’s told me that he would never allow a blood quill to make its way into Hogwarts. So do you know what that means Delores?” Albus asked softly.

“What does it mean?” She squeaked.

“That you have been very devious, and have chosen to deliberately harm my students.” He stated casually, his blue eyes hard and cold and so out of character that he could hear the shallow breaths of the portraits.

“What are you going to do?” She breathed.

“Me, nothing at all,” Albus replied carefully as she breathed a sigh of relief.

“Good, nothing ever good came to from revenge,” she said obviously relieved.

“Actually it has, I said I wouldn’t do a thing but I never said anything about my heads of Houses. I cannot and will not control them, so Delores I wish you the best of luck. And I hope to Merlin that you have not harmed Harry Potter, Luna Lovegood, Hermione Granger, or any of the Slytherins in particular.” Albus replied watching her face pale more and more as he named the students.

“But of course,” she replied trying to refrain from keeping her body trembling.

“What did you come in here for in the first place?” Albus asked as he calmly took a seat.

“Nothing, it’s nothing I have to go,” she said hurriedly before hastily making her way out of her chair and her office.

The portraits watched her leave with a collected sigh of relief before their gaze shifted back to Albus. They looked at him wearily for a moment and startled as a whole as he suddenly tilted his head back and laughed. He laughed for so long that they thought something was wrong with him until they too found themselves chuckling as they remembered the scene.

“I cannot wait to see what they have in store for her,” Albus chuckled out.

“Aren’t you worried about her skipping town?” Phineas asked curiously.

“Not at all, she is under contract. And besides her leaving now will alert Fudge to the fact that she used a blood quill,” Albus replied with a grin.

“This is going to be fun, I cannot wait to see what Severus comes up with,” Phineas replied, hearing the other portraits in agreement.

“As I,” Albus replied as he plopped a lemon drop into his mouth.

~*~*~*~*~Grimmauld Place~*~*~*~

“Come along Sirius, we have a lot work to do,” Remus replied standing up with a stretch.

“We’re doing this today?” Sirius asked quietly.

“The sooner we do it, the sooner you can get better and see your godson.” Remus answered.

“Alright, apply the glamour,” Sirius said with a sigh.

Remus nodded before doing just that. By the time he finished, Sirius resembled himself, and they could pass for brothers. He sighed before taking his arm and walking out the back so he could apparate them to Saint Mungo’s.

“When we get there your name will be Sam,” Remus murmured.

“Why Sam?” Sirius asked curiously.

“It was the first name I could think of began with an S,” Remus muttered before he turned and apparated on the spot.

~*~*~*~*~*~The Manor~*~*~*~

The next morning found Severus unconsciously giving Harry these pensive looks as if he was looking at him in a new light. Every since last night when the child had confided in him what he wanted most was a home Severus couldn’t stop imagining Harry growing up here. His manor had a lot of space for the boy to play and just grow up. He had spent the majority of his night trying to figure out a way to make it possible. He knew going through the ministry he would never be allowed not even mentioning when the Dark Lord found out, his life was as good as forfeited. He sighed before holding out the floo powder as Ronald came through the floo.

“Harry, I want you both to steer clear of Delores,” Severus said firmly as they got ready to go to Hogwarts.

“Yes sir we will, besides where we wanna go she can’t get in,” Harry replied cheerfully.

“And where’s that?” Severus asked curiously.

“The cham--,” he murmured before he was elbowed by Ron.

“What was that?” Severus asked in confusion.

“This place we know of that you don’t,” Harry replied quickly. He had almost ruined the whole surprise.

Severus looked at them suspiciously. “Alright, again stay out of trouble,”

“We will, you don’t have to worry so much Professor, you’re starting to sound like mum,” Ron replied before he quickly stepped into the fireplace and flooed to the Headmaster’s office.

Severus looked affronted, how dare the Weasely spawn compare him to Molly? And he wasn’t worried, just merely concerned.

“Do you have your cloak just in case?” Severus asked.

“No I didn’t think I needed it,” Harry replied with a frown.

“I’d rather you be safe than sorry,” Severus replied accioing the cloak.

“Thank you sir,” Harry replied with a sigh as he grabbed the item.

“I have placed an anti-summoning charm on it, if you see Delores do not confront her; hide.” Severus instructed firmly.

“It’s alright Professor, I’ll be careful,” Harry promised before turning and finally following after Ron through the fireplace.

Severus sighed before shaking his head, not liking being compared to Molly in the slightest. He was still a bit annoyed as he disappeared into his lab.

Harry stumbled out as he came out the fireplace and would have fallen had it not been for the arm that grabbed him. He was ashamed to say he flinched away from the grip until he realized a moment later that it was the Headmaster, who was now looking at him sadly.

“I’m so sorry sir,” Harry replied softly, as he stared at the floor in shame.

“No Harry, for it is I who should be apologizing,” Albus replied with a shake of his head.

“Whatever for sir? What did you do?” Harry asked curiously.

“Harry how long did he say we had?” Ron interrupted; he could see the Headmaster getting ready for an obvious emotional conversation. At the moment Harry was in a good mood, if this had anything to do with the Durselys or Sirius it wouldn’t stay that way.

“All day, we get to eat lunch here, and then we floo back home to the Manor for dinner,” Harry replied as if Ron was slow. He didn’t notice his reference to what he called the manor and neither of the two males in the office pointed it out to him.

“Well lets go, I don’t want to spend all my time down there.” Ron said with a shudder as he remembered the creepy chamber.

“Where will you boys be going?” Albus asked.

“The Chamber of Secrets, Harry wants to get Snape a gift of the basilisk,” Ron replied with a grin.

“I see, I do not need to instruct you boys to use gloves during the process as the venom is still very much alive though the snake is dead. I would feel better if you had waited for Severus, but I guess that would make the whole trip moot,” Albus said with a frown.

“We’ll be careful sir,” Harry promise.

“Still Fawkes will drop in every half hour to make sure of it,” Albus replied. He would never forgive himself if something happened to the boys, nor would Severus or Molly.

“Yes sir,” Ron replied this time when it seemed like Harry was going to protest. He grabbed his friend and made their way out the office.

“Boys wait, it’s imperative that you avoid Delores at all costs and to not go anywhere near…,” Albus started but was interrupted. He was trying to warn them to stay away from a certain corridor that housed Harry’s relatives. Severus had made some progress with the child and he didn’t want the boy to backtrack because of them.

“Headmaster we know, we won’t go near her Snape already told us,” Harry replied hurrying out the man’s office. He blew out a breath of air in annoyance as he shook his head.

“What is it Harry?” Ron asked curiously.

“Why is everyone so worried about me now? I don’t get it,” Harry mumbled out in confusion.

“They were worried before, back when they didn’t have a reason. But now they know what happened to you. This is what you wanted, people to care for you. Get used to it, because it’s not going to change.” Ron replied with a shrug.

“I kinda like it; I’m just confused on how to act. You act annoyed when your mum does it, but you expect it and relish it anyway?” Harry asked his brow furrowing, he didn’t understand.

Ron rubbed the back of his neck as his ears turned red in embarrassment. “Yeah, but that’s what I’m supposed to do.” He replied with an embarrassed tint on his face.

“But why?” Harry asked, he still didn’t get it.

“I don’t know, we just are and now that you have a parent too you can do it as well.” Ron said quickly.

“What parent? You mean Snape?” Harry asked in disbelief.

“Yeah who else would I be talking about?” Ron murmured.

“Snape doesn’t want me Ron, and even if he did he couldn’t have me. I’m not allowed to have any type of happiness,” Harry replied frowning.

“Harry that doesn’t make any sense, what the hell are you going on about?” Ron blurted out, his eyes narrowing.

“Nothing, just race you to the chamber,” he called out before taking off down the corridor.

“You’re not getting out of this that easily,” Ron said as he took off after Harry.

Harry didn’t answer as he didn’t hear him only focusing on the race. He wasn’t paying attention to where he was going; only that Ron couldn’t catch him. He knew if his friend did he would be forced to explain what he meant. He wasn’t about to tell his mate a bit of that particular sob story, he had taken care of himself all his life. Just because he wished that he could live with Snape didn’t make it so. He wasn’t about to waste his wish on something that he knew was impossible.

Besides the man liked him, but that didn’t mean he loved him. Harry wanted the love that Mr. Weasely gave all his children; they never had to worry about their father turning their back on him. He wanted the love that he used to expect from Sirius before all of this happened. He shook his head, trying to clear it as he ran. Why did his godfather act that way? Why would he want to hurt him? He shoved the thoughts away turning around a random corner as he heard the footsteps behind him get closer, as he tried to outrun Ron. He ran a ways more before he found himself starting to slow down, his breaths starting to come out in gasps.

“This…is…not…the…way…to Myrtle’s…toilet,” Ron gasped out as he leaned against the wall.

“I know, I stopped paying attention a long time ago,” Harry breathed sheepishly as he rested his hands on his knees.

“Wow,” Ron wheezed as he slid down the wall to sit on the floor.

“You sound so out of shape Ron,” Harry panted in amusement.

“Well we can’t all be agile seekers can we,” Ron huffed playfully.

“I know huh,” Harry said cheekily before standing up. “Where exactly are we?” Harry asked as he looked around curiously.

“I don’t know, you brought the map didn’t you?” Ron asked.

“Yeah and my cloak,” Harry replied as he pulled out the old parchment.

“Why did you bring that?” Ron asked curiously.

“Snape made me,” Harry answered absently as he spelled the map before opening it.

Ron nodded before coming to stand near Harry so he could see where they were. They were near the third floor Corridor where Fluffy had been their first year. How the hell did they get there?

“Did we even run up any steps?” Harry asked in confusion.

“Trust me we did,” Ron said remembering tiredly.

“So let’s go back down and hit the chamber and then talk to Dobby,” Harry replied before he suddenly gasped.

“Yeah that sounds—what is it Harry? What’s the matter?” Ron asked, turning to look at his friend immediately.

“Tell me I’m reading wrong,” Harry croaked out, as his throat had suddenly gotten very dry.

“What are you reading?” Ron asked turning to look back at the map.

“Does that say the Durselys Quarters, with my relatives in it?” Harry choked out.

“Yeah it does,” Ron murmured quietly. What the hell were they doing here at Hogwarts? This didn’t make any type of sense, how could Dumbledore do something like this? And to Harry? What was going on?

“”Let’s, I…I need to go,” Harry said quietly. He turned around quickly in his paranoia to make sure they weren’t behind him even though the map showed them inside their chambers.

“Ok, lets’ go then,” Ron replied softly. He placed his arm over his mate’s shoulder ignoring the flinch and started the walk away. He was angry at the moment; obviously Snape didn’t know that they were here? He sighed reminding himself to tell the man once they got back to the Manor.

“Why are they here?” Harry asked dejectedly as they headed down the steps and towards Myrtle’s bathroom.

Ron didn’t say anything because he didn’t know the answer to it himself. He sighed as he watched Harry opened the sink that led to the Chamber before sliding down after him. Landing on the pile of bones brought forth those horrific memories and he shook his head before lighting his wand.

“How are we going to do this Harry?” Ron asked curiously.

“Snape was telling me about how to harvest different animal parts for potions.” Harry said quietly. “Remember the potion’s lesson 4th year?”

“Not really,” Ron said with a shrug.

“Never mind, just follow what I do,” Harry said confidently.

He pulled the gloves and all the tools they needed from his bag as he let himself into Slytherin’s tomb where the giant snake came out. He took a trembling breath as he looked at the snake. It was like it was under a spell, as it still looked like it was alive. Taking careful steps they made their way towards the giant reptile.

“Let’s try to get this done, the place is giving me the creeps,” Ron said with a shiver.

“Ok,” Harry replied softly.

He forced his eyes from where he could see dried blood on the concrete. The image flashed in his mind before he could do anything, as he recognized the spot where he almost died. He shook his head before grabbing the shears and started in on the snake loosing himself in the work.

The work process took about 4 hours, with Fawkes checking on them just like the Headmaster promised. They sent Dobby to bring them lunch, not wanting to meet up with Delores or the Durselys. Ron scrunched up his nose in disgust as he cut through the flesh. Just because the snake wasn’t somehow preserved didn’t do a thing for the smell; as it was awful.

“Don’t forget the teeth Harry,” Ron said as he pulled at the skin.

“I know…” Harry said weakly.

 He made his way to the front of the snake; he had been avoiding this part the entire time. He had hoped Ron would do that part, but it wasn’t so. Swallowing his fear he reached up to grab a fang, the moment when he touched his Fawkes had once again flashed in. He screamed from having been startled and the fact that he had thought the snake was alive once more. He couldn’t stop it as the movement triggered a flashback to his second year, where he nearly lost his life.

“Harry!” Ron called as his mate dropped to the ground.

He stared at Harry in horror, because his eyes were wide in fright but he wasn’t saying anything nor was he moving. He didn’t know what was wrong, and he turned towards the tooth, wondering if the venom somehow got through his dragonhide gloves.

“What’s the matter? What happen?” Ron asked frantically, as Harry didn’t answer.

About 15 minutes went by when Harry finally moved. He could see that Ron was staring at his with bright eyes, with a terrified expression on his face.

“You ok Ron?” Harry asked softly, shaking his head to get rid of the memory.

“No I’m not ok, and neither are you,” Ron said quietly as he grabbed the bag and started shoving the vials that they had collected of the basilisk into it.

“What are we doing? We still need to get the teeth,” Harry said in confusion.

“Forget the bloody teeth,” Ron said his heartbeat still a bit fast.

“What’s the matter with you Ron?” Harry asked finally.

“You blanked out here for about 15 minutes Harry,” Ron said running a hand agitatedly through his hair.

“I did,” Harry croaked out.

“Yes you did, did you have a flashback or something?” Ron asked.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Harry replied quickly, hoping the memory wouldn’t resurface. He had already lived through it, and had the nightmares that same year. Why did he have to have flashbacks now?

“We need to go,” Ron said anxiously as he piled up their stuff. He looked around to make sure they didn’t forget anything.

“I’m ready,” Harry replied softly.

Ron nodded steering his friend towards the red phoenix that was watching them silently.

“We’re ready to go back Fawkes,” Ron said quietly as he gently grabbed onto his tail, nudging Harry to do the same.

Ron took a breath as they flashed from the Chamber, when he opened his eyes he was back into the Headmaster’s office. The man was seated behind his desk casually drinking his tea.

“Did you boys enjoy yourselves?” He asked.

“Yes sir,” Harry replied before Ron could speak and say something that would make the man worry.

“Thanks for letting us come today,” Ron said politely as he picked up the floo powder.

“Anytime, though might I suggest something before you too leave?” Albus said.

“Sure Headmaster, what is it?” Harry asked feeling a bit weary.

Albus stood up and grinned before pointing his wand at the both of them. They had encountered a lot of dirt as most boys didn’t realize that they would only cause their guardians worry if they came home as they had looked.

“Oh thanks Headmaster,” Ron said before holding tight to the bag and flooing to the Manor.

“Just a second Harry,” Albus said as he retook his seat.

“Yes sir?” Harry asked warily, already expecting the worse.

“I need to know your opinion on something that concerns your relatives,” Albus said gently.

“What of them?” Harry asked softly, his palms sweaty. Why did Ron have to leave? He didn’t feel as safe as he did alone with the Headmaster. Maybe it was the fact that it was the man’s fault that he had been left with the Durselys, whatever it was Harry didn’t feel at all comfortable.

“Well yesterday their house was ambushed by death eaters,” Albus started off. He stopped when he saw the greenish expression on Harry’s face.

Harry could only stare at the man in shock. He might have hated the Durselys and was even a bit afraid of his Uncle he didn’t want them hurt. They were the last of his blood, no matter how horrible they were to him. Dudley hadn’t been so bad, since he found out Harry saved him from the dementors.

“Are they ok?” Harry asked, ignoring the logical part of his mind that remembered seeing them on the map.

“They are fine, we got to them in time,” Albus reassured him before sighing really wishing he didn’t have to tell the boy this.

“So what does this have to do with me?” Harry asked.

“At the moment they are all within Hogwarts until I can find a place for your Aunt and cousin.” Albus explained gently.

“And what about Uncle Vernon, did the death eaters get him?” Harry asked.

 Harry didn’t bother wondering about the feeling of relief in his stomach that his uncle had met his death. The only thing he could think about was that he would never be hurt by that man again. As the Headmaster spoke once more, he realized that his Uncle was still alive and well, and his heart stopped for a moment as he heard the rest of his sentence.

“Vernon Dursely will be punished for what he did to you, I just want to let you know that there is the possibly of there being a trial. You will have to speak out against him; do you think you can do that?” Albus asked gently.

Harry shut his eyes tightly trying to control the panic feeling in his chest, willing the tears away. He nodded to the Headmaster’s question, knowing already he had to say yes. He was a soldier, he couldn’t be afraid of speak out against the man. Once he was locked away he couldn’t be hurt anymore right?

What if his Uncle got out? Harry knew it was only a matter of time that the man would come after him and probably kill him. Why was he so afraid of him? How would everyone else react? He knew that a trial meant that everyone would find out that he let a muggle hurt him. He would suffer all kinds of abuse, and he knew the wizarding world would once again turn on him. How was he supposed to beat Voldemort if he couldn’t even defend himself against his uncle?

“Can I…can I go now?” Harry gasped out, he could feel the thin shield over his emotions wavering. He was going to crack, and he didn’t want the Headmaster to witness him in such a weak moment. He didn’t need the man who had barely looked at him this year to see him in such a vulnerable state. He wanted Snape; he needed to be in the safety of Snape.

“Yes Harry you may go,” Albus said softly before sighing. He had thought Harry would feel a bit relieved at having heard the man would be in prison for his crimes. At the moment Harry looked like he might break? What had he done? His student was coming apart at the seams, how did they miss this all these years? Why didn’t he check on him? Why didn’t he listen to Severus all those years ago?

Harry didn’t need to be told twice and quickly flooed to the manor, his heart pounding in his chest. He needed to be safe to feel like nothing could touch him. He needed Snape! He wanted to scream, he was hurting so much inside. Why couldn’t he catch a break? He stumbled out the fireplace choking back a sob as he landed on the soft rug.

“Harry, what took you so long?” Ron asked curiously as he stood up from the chair he had been sitting.

“The Headmaster wanted to talk to me,” Harry rushed out. He could feel the panic attack coming, and he could do nothing to stop it.

“Harry are you ok?” Ron asked getting up as Harry didn’t seem to move from his place on the floor.

Snape, I need…Snape,” he gasped out; his body unconsciously pulling himself into a defensive position to become as small as he could. He found it hard to catch his breath as he started hyperventilating. He wasn’t ready for this, he had to go through a trial with his relatives, Sirius wanted him to lie and he had to save the world. Whatever happened to normal teenager stuff?

Why couldn’t he just be Harry? He didn’t want this; he never wanted any of this. What if he said no to all of it? For the first time since the summer Harry wished that he died with his parents, at least then he would have been happy. He bit hard into his fist to stop the flow of tears, trying but failing to control the emotional turmoil going on throughout his body.

Ron stared at Harry for about a second before turning and yelling at the top of his lungs for the man. “PROFESSOR SNAPE, HARRY’S HAVING A PANIC ATTACK!”

Severus had been in his lab, though he heard the floo. He had been expecting at least another 2 hours of the boys being gone. He didn’t really question that they came home early and he had gotten the majority of the Dark Lord’s potions finished and out of the way.

At the moment he had been working on a particular nasty one that was a liquid version of the Cruciatus curse. He hadn’t had a chance to test it just yet, and nearly spilled it on himself when he heard Weasely scream for him. He put the potion in a stasis charm before throwing a cleaning charm around himself before rushing upstairs. As he neared the floo room, he could see the child on the floor, gasping on air with the redhead looking like a deer in headlights.

“What brought this one on? What happened at the school? Did you run into Delores?” Severus asked shooting the questions at the boy in one breath as he made his way over to Harry.

“No we didn’t see her, we saw something else though,” Ron said quietly.

“Who did this Ronald? What else could have brought forth this type of reaction?” Severus muttered impatiently.

“The Durselys are at Hogwarts,” Ron replied worriedly.

Severus stared at him for a moment before he let out a string of expletives before sighing. He shook his head as he took a calming draught from his pocket and gently prodded the boy to uncurl for him.

“Let me guess you bumped into them and it triggered something in Harry?” Severus asked questioningly.

“No sir, we didn’t bump into them. We saw them on the map and Harry was fine,” Ron said with a frown.
“That doesn’t add up, but it’s not important at the moment. Tell me what you both did today?” Severus commanded before turning to the child in his arms. “I need you to drink something for me child,” he said softly.

“I don’t want it…I don’t want any of it. I wanna be just Harry,” Harry cried out softly

“Want what child; the potion?” Severus asked in confusion before turning to Ron. “Well?”

“We got your Christmas present and he had a flashback there. He was out for about 15 minutes, and when he came to he looked scared.” Ron said frowning.

“How in the world could my present trigger a flashback?” Severus asked with narrowed eyes as he finally just spelled the potion into Harry’s stomach.

“Then we went back to the Headmaster’s office and he was fine when I flooed back here first,” Ron said ignoring the man’s question. He really didn’t think Harry would appreciate him blurting it out, maybe after Christmas.

“Albus must have said something and it upset him,” Severus said with a sigh. “Tell me child what happened?” He asked in a soft voice that one usually uses on frighten animals.

“Death eaters attacked the Durselys house,” Harry whimpered out through his steady flow of tears. The potion had stopped him from panicking and allowed him to breathe easier but didn’t a do a thing for his tears.

“Oh Merlin, why would he tell Harry this?” Ron said unknowingly saying the same thing Severus had been thinking.

“That is what I will find out,” Severus replied with a steely glint in his eye. “Tell us what else he said Harry,”

“He said that they were fine, but they were at Hogwarts. Why would he bring them to the first place I ever felt safe? Why would he do that to me? Have I hurt him somehow, and this is his way of paying me back?” Harry asked sniffling as he wiped away the tears, not that it made much different more just kept coming.

“No Harry, you haven’t done a thing to him. He probably didn’t know where else to put them,” Severus said reasonably, getting more and more irritated at Albus.

“He says Uncle Vernon is going to have a trial and that I have to speak at it. I don’t want anyone else to know. They’ll find out how weak I am that I can’t even hold my own against a muggle.” Harry continued on.

“You’re not weak Harry, the furthest from it. You’re one of the strongest people I have ever met,” Ron said vehemently before Severus could say anything.

“Yeah you say that but I couldn’t even stop a muggle Ron. I let him hurt me, what does that say about the kind of person I am huh?” Harry argued. He was right, he knew he was right. If he was as strong as Ron said he would have protected himself with his magic.

“Forget it Ronald, you cannot tell him this now.” Severus said as the redheaded opened his mouth to retort.

Satisfied that he had won the argument Harry turned his face into the man’s chest. He sniffled as the tears came faster now.

“Harry what’s the matter child? Why are you crying so?” Severus asked gently as he felt the tears soak through his robes. His own heart literally ached for the child in his arms, and he felt helpless that he could do nothing to help him.

“Why can’t I die?” Harry whimpered out.

Severus’s eyes shot up and his surprised gaze met Ron’s stricken one and he had to wonder if Harry had ever had a suicidal thought before. He wasn’t about to put the thought in his head if he hadn’t. No sense on making it worse than it already was. He looked down at the head in his torso and gently carded his hand through the soft hair.

“Why do you say that Harry, do you wish to die?” Severus asked carefully.

“Sometimes I do. Sometimes I wish that I had of died with my parents that night. My relatives have constantly told me they wished that as well. The only thing we actually agreed on.” Harry confessed softly.

Ron was glaring murderously at the wall; he didn’t have to look at his teacher to know that he was doing the same thing. He had never met people as horrible as the Durselys.

“When was the first time they told you that Harry?” Severus asked softly.

“When I was 5, which was the first time I wished I couldn’t breathe anymore. When you’re that young you’re not sure of death but you know that if you can’t breathe you can’t live,” Harry chuckled darkly.

“I fail to see where it’s funny,” Severus said eerily calm though inside he was anything but.

“It’s not, it’s just the irony is all,” Harry replied knowingly.

“How is that irony Harry?” Ron asked in confusion.

“Because I’m the boy-who-lived, aka the boy-who-wouldn’t-die,” Harry replied as if it was obvious.

“Please don’t tell me you’ve actually tried to kill yourself before,” Severus asked, unconsciously holding his breath as he waited for the answer.

Harry didn’t answer but his eyes gave away his answer. He turned his gaze from his teacher not wanting to see the disappointment in the dark gaze. He clenched his fists, waiting for the man to push him off. He startled when the man seemed to hug him tighter.

“I think I should go home,” Ron said quietly. He was feeling a bit unsettled; he needed to think over a few things. The main one being of what Harry hadn’t meant to bring up, let along answer.

“Harry will talk to you tomorrow or the next day,” Severus promised before turning to the silent boy in his arms.

Severus placed his chin on the top of the boy’s head as he hugged him, trying to figure this out. He didn’t know Harry had gotten this bad, he knew he was a bit depressed but never to this extent. The good about this was that Harry didn’t seem to actively trying to hurt himself which was the best he could ask for considering how things were at the moment.

“You’re disappointed in me aren’t you?” Harry asked his eyes filling with the hurt tears. He knew it was true, he didn’t know why he was clarifying it when he knew what the man would say.

“I am disappointed in myself, in your head of house. I am thoroughly disappointed at the Headmaster and Arabella. It was our job to look out for you and we failed horribly, it is only by luck and strength that you are still together after all this.” Severus said quietly.

“What strength?” Harry asked in confusion. He was sitting their struggling to hold back tears, if anything he lacked strength.

“To overcome all of that, your childhood to be a better person then I will ever be. You have so much forgiveness in your heart child; you’ve touched so many people Harry Potter. You are one of the strongest individuals I have ever met, and I mean that. You are any anything but weak,” Severus said firmly in a tone that left no room for argument.

“Do you think that if my parents were alive they would be proud of me?” Harry sniffled out.

“No question about it Harry, I know I’m proud of you and I will be here every step of the way with you.” Severus declared.

“Promise?” Harry asked ignoring the voice that said he was being childish.

“I promise,” Severus said sincerely.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Hoped you guys liked it. :p


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2699