Unforgiveable Sirius by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Sirius does something to Harry that he shouldnt and he shatters the poor boy's last hope of finally having a family. He's lost and hurt and terrfied with no one to turn to. No one but the man who has made his life miserable anyway he could. How can Snape help Harry,when he hates him himself; or does he?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Azkaban Character, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Profanity
Prompts: Unforgivable Sirius
Challenges: Unforgivable Sirius
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: No Word count: 105870 Read: 280655 Published: 18 Nov 2011 Updated: 11 Nov 2020
Chapter 6 by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Sorry for that bad timeline last Chapter..I went back and fixed it, this is long overdue and really not the best Chapter but I needed to get something on here.

Happy New Year

Harry woke up the next morning in his room, with a goofy smile on his face. He remembered quite clearly was Snape had whispered to him, and he was extremely pleased. His smile faded into in embarrassment as he remembered the rest of the day, running away from Snape to the Weasleys who he knew didn’t appreciate him crashing their meal. He groaned in frustration, when would he stop making such a fool of himself? He stilled when he heard knocking on his closed door.

“Potter time to get up, breakfast is in 10 minutes and after that we need to talk.”       

     Harry slowly got out of bed, he exactly what his teacher wanted to talk about but he did not want to deal with this conversation. What could he say to the man? “Well sir I ran away because I was afraid that you were going to somehow blame the scar on my hand from me wanting attention?” Oh yes that would go over smoothly with the Slytherin, he could see it now. Shaking his head he quickly got dressed in his best clothes which wasn’t saying much, and headed downstairs.    

        Sitting across from the man at the table, Harry couldn’t find a trace of the person who comforted him last night. He glared angrily at his food, of course he couldn’t this was Snape and the man was a spy. How did he know that the man wasn’t trying to trick him? Harry was confused and hurt; he hated the feeling of helplessness that he felt in his situation. Trying to eat as slowly as possible wasn’t an option, not unless he wanted the man angry at him this early in the morning. He sighed before walking towards the sitting room.

Trying to prevent his self from panicking over nothing he thought about what Hermione was doing at this very moment. He didn’t have long to wonder, because Snape walked in and sat across from him in a chair.

Severus could tell the child across from him, was tensed and frightened. Trying to talk to him yesterday was futile because he lost him temper and the boy ran away. If he couldn’t get anything out of the boy from this talk, he would contact Weasley surely the boy and his brothers knew something about the scar.

“Ok Potter, why did you run from me yesterday?” Severus asked deliberately keeping his tone light and calm.

Harry raised an eyebrow in confusion; this is what the man wants to talk about? He was sure he was going to get question about Umbridge’s detentions.

“You were yelling at me,” Harry replied simply.

“I was yelling yes, but not at you. I was angry that someone had used a dark artifact in Hogwarts and no one knew about it. Why haven’t you told one of your Professors?"

“What do you mean, McGonagall knows already.” Harry stated much more calmly then what he felt at that moment.

“I can assure that you are wrong Potter. If the Headmistress knew something like this was going on, she would have stopped it by now.”       

     Harry shook his head; there really was no reasoning or explaining to this man. Especially if your name was Harry Potter, the man like his relatives assumed he was a liar. There really wasn’t anything else to say on this subject now was there? Time for him to move the conversation back to where it was it started.      

      Severus watched the boy’s face blank over, he never knew Potter could hide his emotions well, especially if Occulmency was anything to go by. Just thinking about the last lesson made his anger bubble, but fear would not help the boy at all. Yesterday was proof of that.

“How long have you been able to apparate Potter?”

Harry was getting confused, why was the man jumping over the topics like that? What the heck was apparition was that what he did yesterday?“

What is apparition sir?”

“When you went from my Manor to the Weasleys, was a form of wizard transportation. How long have you been able to do it? Usually you aren’t allowed to become licensed in it until you are age, but you Potter has once again surpassed the odds.”

“I don’t know sir; I was just wishing that I was with Ron yesterday.”

“Oh I see accidental magic then that explains it all.” Severus answered looking thoughtful.“Besides me scaring you yesterday, why did you try to hide your hand from me? You said Minerva knows, but when I countered that remark, you pulled a mask over your face. Would you care to explain what that was about?”           

Harry shook his head; no he didn’t care to explain anything to the man in front of him. Maybe if Snape was as gentle as he was last night then Harry could talk to him.

Severus sighed he knew that the boy wasn’t going to explain anymore on that particular topic anytime soon. His trusts in adults were fragile at best, what was Dumbledore thinking? Severus was inadequate for this job; Potter was not like any of his snakes. No he was worse, Severus thought. He hid his abuse for the past 5 years with no one the wiser. How could he help the child when it didn’t see like he would accept it from the man who gave him hell for the last few years?

“Forget my previous question; I’ll talk to Minerva myself. The Headmaster thinks that you need to talk to someone about the Durselys.” Severus stated switching topics once again.

“And you think you’re the right person for the job?” Harry sneered very similar to Snape although he didn’t know it.

“No, Albus volunteered me for the job.” Severus asked willing his lips not to twitch at the expression on the boy’s face.

“Why did you say yes then? We both know you hate me, so why in the hell would you want to spend your Christmas Holidays with me, the bane of your existent?”

“That’s not true Potter, I just told you I had no choice,” Severus started before he was interrupted.

“Oh so I’m here because you were forced to take me in? Because I don’t have anyone else who could take me in? Well don’t I just feel so special, unwanted and unloved at Christmas, but hey that’s nothing new.” Harry replied bitterly.

“Enough Potter that is not what I said, and that is not true in the slightest. No one can force me to do anything I don’t want to do. You are here because you need to be here, and I want you here,” Severus said through gritted teeth.          

   Even if that sentence was only partly true at the time, he needed to establish a bit of connection with the child or this would never work. How could they learn to get along if they were always fighting with one another?

“Oh isn’t it? Hogwarts has ears everywhere sir; you of all people should know that. But don’t worry I’m used to not being wanted, and after the holidays we can go back to our normal behavior if you wish.” Harry responded dismissively, and rolling his eyes to the ceiling.

“You insufferable brat, would you just shut up and listen to me for once?” He yelled finally unable to hold his anger in.          

  Taking deep breaths to calm himself he looked down at the child to see that he was for once listening to him, but he also had his arms covering his head like he was expecting a hit.

“I’m not going to hit you Potter, not now, not ever. I may be a greasy git but I don’t hit children, no matter how annoying they get.” Severus said tiredly, running his hand through his hair.

“That’s what Sirius said, and look how that turned out.” Harry murmured softly.

“I am not your godfather, have you ever known me not to keep my word?” Severus quietly said.

“No sir,” Harry answered softly.

“And I won’t start now, you are not the first child to annoy me and I doubt you’ll be the last.”

“Then why do you teach, if kids annoy you so much?” Harry asked curiously.

“That’s complicated Potter,” Severus answered vaguely.

“What’s so complicated about it?” Harry asked casually changing the subject.

“That was a Slytherin move Mr. Potter, but do not attempt to change the tone of the conversation when we are in fact here to talk about you.”        

    Harry flushed red, if it only had of been anyone else, he could have gotten away with it. Running his hand through his hair, he really did not want to have this conversation.

“Sorry sir,” he whispered.

“It’s fine Potter, why didn’t you inform anyone of your home life?”

“I tried to tell the Headmaster, but he brushed it off.”“Why didn’t you tell another Professor then?”

“Who would I have told, my Head of House is Dumbledore’s friend, and I’m not really close with anyone else except Hagrid.”          

  Severus stopped himself from voicing his question, on why the boy didn’t think to ask him. He knew exactly why Harry didn’t come to him, he had made this child’s life miserable his school days, and of course he wouldn’t allow himself to be vulnerable against and ‘enemy’.

“How did you find out about the Durselys Professor?”

“Dumbledore got a floo call from Arabella.”    

        Harry nodded to himself, wondering why the man didn’t do that sooner, like back when he asked in his first year. They lapsed into silence where Harry sat there feeling awkward about not saying anything.  Something was on his mind though, and he couldn’t help feeling like he was at fault here. He found himself wanting to ask Snape about a solution to that problem.

“Professor, do you think I over-reacted?” Harry finally whispered out.

“About what Potter?” Severus asked looking up at him from his book.

“About Sirius, do you think maybe I should have just let it go?” Harry asked genuinely wanting to know what he thought. Since when did he care what Snape thought of something?

“And why do you think you are at fault Potter?” Severus asked tightly.

“Because I think I over reacted sir, so he grabbed me sir. But I’ve had a lot worse, and maybe he didn’t even mean to do that.” By the end of his explanation Harry was trying to justify his godfather’s actions to himself.

“But you shouldn’t have Harry, what he did even if it was an accident was inexcusable. If you don’t think I’m right, then for once listen to Mr. Weasley because he and I seemed to be in agreement for once.”

Harry said nothing he just nodded that he did understand what the man was trying to say, but there was a part of him of him that didn’t truly believe what the man had said. If only he could talk to Sirius for just a few minutes and they could straighten everything out, and maybe they could go back to normal. But how was he going to do that?

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2699