Struggle by AllegroAssai
Summary: A very angsty Advent Calendar.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Healer Snape, Reverse Roles > Healer Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 10545 Read: 134063 Published: 30 Nov 2011 Updated: 25 Dec 2011
Chapter 14 by AllegroAssai

“There is nothing more we can do for now,” Hermione said, looking tired. The bags under her eyes might as well have been bruises.

 “Get some sleep Hermione. You have done so well. I’ll keep watch,” said Harry.

 “Okay. Thanks, Harry.”

 Hermione’s eyes were already closed as Harry pulled the blanket over her skinny body. Harry took a book  about advanced Defence out of the case and was soon engrossed in the chapter about increasing the diameter of each spell by simply using a non-verbal Charge before firing the curse. It was fascinating and Harry wondered why Dumbledore had never taught him any of this instead of about Merope Gaunt’s stupid Love Potion. It was almost as if Dumbledore didn’t want Harry to fight and win. It was a rather disturbing thought and luckily, Snape prevented him from taking it any further.

 Speaking of Snape, the man seemed to be fighting something in his sleep.

“No. I vowed to protect him. I will not let him…” the rest was unintelligible.  Harry froze and leaned forward to understand him. “The only way?” Snape was thrashing about now, a fist raised. “I won’t. No.” he shook his head and repeated the last word over and over again, sounding more and more desperate. “No. Nonononono.”

 Harry put the book down. He didn’t dare touch the man, even though it felt wrong not to, but he tried to comfort Snape, and himself, a little. “Just a dream… shhhh. It’s not real.” Who was he trying to reassure, really?

 Suddenly, the obsidian eyes flew open and Harry stared into deep, dark, gaping wounds that were beyond any healing.

 “It is real.” Snape said, looking at Harry in horror.

 Harry gulped and handed Snape two more phials, an appetite stimulant and a pain reliever. Snape accepted, gave him a court nod and then pulled the tube out his nose, gagging a little during the process.

 “Who did this?” Snape asked pointing at the tube.

 “Hermione. She… saved your life,” Harry replied. 

 Snape stared down at himself and gave his own body the look he had normally reserved for Harry, Neville, or random Hufflepuffs.

 “And this?” Snape actually blushed a little as he motioned to his clothing.

 “I… got you changed, sir. Um. There was a lot of blood and well… Hermione gave you so many liquids, and…” Harry passed him some water and quickly looked down.

 “Oh Merlin.”

 “It’s okay, Sir. I didn’t… look or anything. By the way…” he changed the topic quickly, “Luna was here. She will destroy the Diadem. Who hurt you?”

 Snape sighed, drank some more water and then sat up, his face painfully contorted. “MacNair and Lestrange. MacNair is dead and Lestrange will be punished thoroughly. The Dark Lord feels that they are responsible for the disappearance of his prisoners.”

 Harry nodded. That would explain the anger. “How did they get out?”

 “You have a very clever house-elf, Potter,” answered Snape and checked out the wound on his torso. “What a hack job,” he muttered darkly. “I should sue that girl.”

 A sharp, stabbing pain in his scar caused Harry to screech like a girl. He only had enough time to turn away from Snape before he was sick all over the already stained carpet.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2702