Struggle by AllegroAssai
Summary: A very angsty Advent Calendar.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Healer Snape, Reverse Roles > Healer Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 10545 Read: 134047 Published: 30 Nov 2011 Updated: 25 Dec 2011
Chapter 22 by AllegroAssai

"Can I have some of that?" Harry asked as he stretched his hand out for the whiskey.

Snape squinted at the bottle, then at Harry, before handing it over.

"Fine, but don't overdo it. I am not in the mood to clean up your vomit tonight."

Harry laughed and took a big sip.

"If anyone is going to be sick tonight, it will be you." He took another large gulp and then felt brave enough to ask what he wanted to know. "Can you… maybe tell me things about my mother?"

He knew it was a sore topic for the older man but if now wasn't the time there never would be. Harry handed the bottle back, watched the man light a cigarette and cross his legs. A pained expression fleeted across his face before the unreadable mask was back in place.

"No, Podder," He found himself unable to pronounce Potter right. "I don't think I can do that."

This time the silence was heavy and uncomfortable. Snape made an effort to get up groaning as he nearly fell over and sat back down.

"You have done really well today. You deserve to know more about… about her, but I can't. I am not even able to bring myself to say your first name."

Harry sighed and stared back into the fire. Maybe one day he would feel ready although Harry doubted that.

"I'm not a strong man Potter."

Harry took the bottle again and took another swig. He felt wonderfully drowsy now, relaxed and most of all, pain free. "I disagree."

The obsidian eyes rested on him, they were only half open. Snape shook his greasy head as if Harry had said something very stupid and then lit another cigarette.

"Whose house is this?" Harry asked, eager to change the topic.

"It was my father's until very recently. He moved in here after he left. Bastard."

Harry remembered the screaming man he saw in Snape's mind in his fifth year. "Did he hit you?" He had no idea why he was asking that, he had no right either.

"Why on earth would you be interested in such things Potter?" Snape threw the cigarette into the fire and supported his head with his hand. "And yes, he did. He drank, smoked and hurt people. You know what they say, the apple and the tree. For fucks sake, why am I telling you this?"

"Because you are drunk. And because I asked. And I know where you are coming from. I don't want to be like my father, he was a bully. I am sorry for what he did to you. I really am."

"Well… I got my revenge, didn't I?" said Snape as he inhaled deeply.

"What a horrible thought." Harry said.

"I am rather prone to those."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2702