Twelve Days of Christmas by lirio de amor
Summary: Harry Snape is in trouble twelve days before Christmas for misbehaving in school...will his Holidays go as planned, or has he mucked it all up with his father?

Based on the Challenge ~12 Days of Christmas~ by Kai
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Profanity
Prompts: 12 Days of Christmas
Challenges: 12 Days of Christmas
Series: Twelve Days of Christmas and Other Holiday Stories With the Snapes
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 11985 Read: 55152 Published: 16 Dec 2011 Updated: 04 Jan 2012
December 22:Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! by lirio de amor

The next day, Harry felt better than he had in months. He summed it up to the fact that he was no longer hiding anything from his father and because of the salve his Dad had used on his hand, taking out the Dark Magic of the quill.

And then there was the fact that Severus had come home the day before rather…happy. Harry had known better than to even ask why he was so happy, as long as he wasn’t upset or angry.

 They had spent the rest of the afternoon preparing Potion ingredients and talking quietly with one another about nothing in particular, something that they had not done in a while. It had been comforting.

Now, Harry was sitting at his desk in the study staring out the window at the brown grass and the leafless trees. He turned his head slightly and stared at his father’s barren, lifeless garden.

“Please let it snow.” Harry mumbled to himself. He loved the snow when he was at home. Unlike at Hogwarts, where the air was always frigid, the winds harsh, and hundreds of others students, the backyard of the Snapes’ house was less frigid and harsh because a high privacy fence, and there were no other students to mess up the snow.

“Come on, Harry. Lunch is ready.” Severus said from the doorway. He watched his son look wistfully outside. He had not been outside since they had been home, as part of his grounding terms.

Harry got up and walked into the kitchen and sat down, the warm smell of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup wafting around in the air.

Harry waited until Severus sat down before beginning to eat. Together, the two ate in silence for several minutes.

“When are we gonna get a tree, Dad?” Harry asked slyly. He really wanted to go outside. He loved it outside.

“I am going to get the tree this afternoon. Remember, son, you are grounded.” Severus said, inwardly rolling his eyes at his son’s Slytherin act.

Harry sighed.

“Will you at least get a big one? It’s been so long since we have been able to have Christmas here.” Harry asked.

Severus nodded.

“Yes. I will make sure that it is a larger one than normal if it pleases you.” Severus told him.

Harry grinned.

“Yea, Dad! Thanks!”  then Harry looked out the window.

“Dad! Dad! Dad! LOOK!” Harry said, jumping up and down as a much younger child might.

“Harrison Snape! Calm down! What is it?”

“It is snowing, Dad! Look.” Harry pointed to the kitchen window. He was well aware of the fact that he was acting much younger than he was, but bloody hell he was excited that it was snowing and the snow was, in fact, sticking. It would be a white Christmas after all if the snow kept up.

“Finish eating, son.”

Harry compliantly started to eat again, but his eyes never left the window.

Severus watched him with amusement. He remembered the first time he had let his son play in the snow. He had been three years old…

“Bu’Daddy, it’s ‘brrrrrr’ outsie!” Little Harry said. He was unsure about the unfamiliar white stuff that was falling like the powder he had grabbed not so long ago and thrown in the air at Ms. Molly’s. He had had to sit in a corner, and so had Ron, for doing that.

“It is snow, Harry. It is cold, but I think that you will like to play it in. And when we are finished playing, we will come back inside for hot cocoa.”   

At this, Harry perked up. He LOVED hot cocoa, and it was only allowed on special days.

“So, Daddy, that means this is special, huh? Because we n’E’ver get hot cocoa unless it’s a special day.” Harry lifted his mittened hands up in the air towards Severus. Severus picked him up and held him closely, whispering in his ear, “Every day with you is special, Harry. Hot cocoa is just something we drink when we have something to celebrate…like your first time to play in the snow!” Severus had then tickled the small child and walked outside with him… 

Since that day, Harry had loved the snow.

“Dad…”

Severus looked up at Harry.

“Yes?”

“Please, Dad? Please? I know that I am grounded, but…”

Severus put his hand in the air to stop Harry, and his son’s shoulders visably dropped.

“I suppose, if you put on warm clothes, I will allow you to play in the snow for an hour or so. Then, since I have already broken your grounding for that, I will allow you to come with me to pick out a tree.”

Harry’s eyes got big and he jumped from his chair, immediately wrapping his arms around Severus.

“Thanks, Dad! You’re the best Dad ever!” Harry said, quickly running towards his room to change his clothes.

Knowing that his son was in his room, Severus allowed a genuine smile to cross his face. Indeed, every day with his son was special. Every single one, no matter what.

“Yes, Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.” Severus muttered, knowing that with snow, he would always have a part of his Harry’s childhood.

~*~*~*~*~Twelve Days of Christmas~*~*~*~*~

Thirty minutes later, if one who knew the Snapes were to walk past the Snape house and peer into the backyard, they would have been shocked.

For there stood a fifteen year old boys building a snowman from the already nearly six inches of accumulated snow…

…with the help of his father, both laughing joyfully, as if they hadn’t another care in the world.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2716