A Different Pair of Eyes by watercrystals
Summary: Perception can be everything. After the incident with the Philosopher's Stone and Voldemort, Harry falls into a magical slumber and wakes months later on August 31st as an entirely different boy who is about to begin his first year at Hogwarts. Sorted into Slytherin as someone else, Harry experiences Hogwarts in an entirely new way. He realises that there is more to Slytherin than it appears, and even more to their Head of House as well. Before long, acting as someone else isn't nearly as hard as fighting the need to reverse it, or at least find out what happened to “Harry Potter”.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, Luna, Original Character, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 26304 Read: 17089 Published: 22 Dec 2011 Updated: 18 Apr 2012
Story Notes:

1. Unfamiliar in Every Way by watercrystals

2. A Change of House Colours by watercrystals

3. Snape's Point of View by watercrystals

4. Friendships by watercrystals

Unfamiliar in Every Way by watercrystals

Dursleys - cupboard under the stairs - Hagrid - vault filled with gold from his parents - Ron - Hermione - Hogwarts - Sorting hat wanted to place him in Slytherin, but shouted “Gryffindor” - Professor Snape – a mirror that showed his family - Draco – Quidditch - invisibility cloak - Philosopher's Stone... 

'Bravery, your parents had it too.' Voldemort said from the back of Quirriel's head. 'Tell me, Harry, would you like to see your mother and father again? We can bring them back...just give me the stone!'

'You liar!' Harry yelled, telling him he would never give the stone to a monster like him, someone who was the reason for him having no parents.

'Kill him!'

-- 

Harry's eyes opened instantly, his mind foggy with images and sounds that were so fresh yet felt far away, just like a crowd nearby when he was up in the air on his broomstick. He swallowed and sighed, looking up at the pale ceiling above him. He realised that he could see clearly with no blurred edges or shapes and reached to touch the glasses on his face, except there were none.

Sitting up, Harry felt very strange as he tried to remember that had happened to bring him here. After that moment with Voldemort, everything had gone black mostly from the pain in Harry's head. He slowly focused on the room he was in, which at first he had assumed to be the Hospital Wing, yet he could not be more wrong.

More awake and now panicked, Harry stared around at the unfamiliar, mostly blue toned bedroom. The closed wooden door was to his left and across from it was a desk cluttered with belongings that were not his. It had shelves positioned above it, stocked with other items and several books of varied topics. Right along that wall was a set of dark blue curtains that reached the floor, only partially concealing a large, brightly lit window that showed a green landscape outside. In that corner was a large mirror. On the right to the mirror and Harry were a set of drawers, a wardrobe and then a bedside table that had a lamp sitting on top. At the base of the lamp was a folded letter that read: Harry.

Nervous and a bit scared of what was going on, he reached for the letter and unfolded the parchment to read the contents messily written within. His throat seemed dry and his hands were sweating as he felt as though he must still be dreaming.

 

Hello Harry,

 

We have never met. I'm sorry I didn't ask for your permission to do this, but I think one day you will understand.

You are not yourself. You are Jaden Royce and this is your first day of being adopted. I picked Darcy Royce for you because she is perfect. Darcy has never met Jaden before until he was dropped off here at her house by the social workers last night – they had moved him from a foster home because today is his/your first day of being in this new family. You went straight to bed, so today is the first time either of you will probably interact.

She knows nothing about you, therefore you can be entirely yourself. Yet you are not yourself, do not forget that...you can still like the same things and have your own back-story, but you're not Harry Potter any more.

It is August 31st and tomorrow you will attend Hogwarts for the first time as Jaden Royce. Your friends cannot know the truth, nor can you tell another person. Who would believe you, anyway? Enjoy your new life, Harry...I promise it'll be better than the last one. Jaden isn't famous and he's just been adopted by his new mother. You have a family here and a chance to start over at Hogwarts. Not even the sorting hat or Dumbledore will know that your mind is Harry Potter.

Good luck and remember...don't tell anyone! If you do...your entire second chance will vanish and you'll be back to being the Boy-Who-Lived, back to living with the uncaring Dursleys, and back to fighting a losing war with a monster. As long as you're Jaden...you're safe and happy. Why would you want to change that? As long as you keep it a secret, no one will ever know.

Don't think so? Have a look in the mirror.

J

 

Dizziness overcame Harry as the letter dropped from his grasp and landed soundlessly onto the surface of the bed. He rushed over to the mirror and stared wide-eyed at the reflection that it showed. It wasn't him...it was a stranger! Not a single detail was exactly same as the appearance he'd had for the last eleven years of his life, though some were a tiny bit similar.

Harry saw his face that wasn't really his. The brown eyes and brown hair that formed this new face was so alien to him. He touched his nose, his eyelids, his ears, his chin, his cheeks...everything that he could touch and feel on his face yet that couldn't possibly be a part of him...could they?

Looking over his shoulder at the letter, Harry felt nauseous and didn't know what to do about the situation he had somehow landed in. Whoever did this to him, whoever wrote that letter...they were right. No one would ever believe him, not in a million years. How could they? He looked so different and apparently had never been to Hogwarts. Harry Potter was who he was, yet Jaden Royce stared back at him in that mirror, dressed in the softest light blue pyjamas he had ever worn. They fit him perfectly, though went over his ankles a little and concealed part of his pure white socks.

A knock on the closed door nearly startled Harry so badly he would have fallen onto the light-coloured carpet at his feet had he not caught himself just in time.

'Jaden, are you awake?' A woman's voice reached his ears.

Frantically searching his brain for an acceptable response, Harry jumped onto the bed and shoved his letter under the squishy pillow.

'Uh, yeah!' He called back in a voice he liked, even if it wasn't the one he was used to.

When a response wasn't immediately returned, Harry worried that already he had somehow mucked up whatever he was supposed to be doing.

'Are you hungry?

Harry paused again. Was he? His stomach growled in response and he nodded his head, before realising that whoever the woman was, she probably couldn't see his non-verbal answer through the closed door.

'Yes!' Harry called back, wincing as it sounded ruder than he had intended.

'Oh, okay...well breakfast is waiting for you.' She said. 'Get dressed and come downstairs whenever you're ready.'

Harry didn't think he was ready or would ever be. Silence remained outside the door so she had left him in peace, left him to lie back on the bed and try to stop his head from spinning with confusion and shock. Where was he? What happened to the real him? Did anyone, even Dumbledore, know about this? Was he entirely alone with nothing but an otherwise unsigned letter to help him?

As his stomach protested again, in a way Harry was not used to since he was adapted to receiving little food (but Jaden wasn't, right?), he walked to his drawers and pulled the first one open. He looked at his clothing options; they all seemed to go by the same style of collared shirts and an endless variety of sweaters. They all came in different colours and patterns, yet style-wise were very similar and reoccurring.

Harry stood in front of the mirror again, dressed in a new pair of jeans, a blue and white chequered shirt and a sweater he never thought he'd wear, which was horizontally striped green and silver. It had been so soft to touch when he's noticed it, so Harry had put it on, thinking that his clothing choices were the least of his worries.

Grabbing a comb, he brushed his hair and realised that something so simple further showed how different he was as Jaden, because his hair fell flat and only took a few seconds to groom to a way he was comfortable with. Reaching to brush some hair from his forehead, Harry stepped closer to the mirror and never imagined that he would miss seeing that lightning bolt scar that he'd been given when his parents had been murdered yet he had survived.

If this was Jaden's first day of being adopted, Harry wondered what had happened to his parents too. Had they been murdered like Harry's had?

Sighing against the unchangeable, Harry fussed with his hair once more and straightened his collar in effort to delay his nervous departure of this strange room that was now the only familiar thing he had, which showed just how out of place he truly felt. As Harry looked into the mirror one last time, he could only allow a quiet, unfamiliar whisper to fill the otherwise silent bedroom.

'Who am I?'

Walking to the door, Harry turned the knob and stepped into the narrow carpeted hallway. It was set up the same was as the one upstairs at the Dursley house, Harry noticed, as he turned left and slowly descended the stairs.

He paused halfway as he was greeted with a wide room that composed of the kitchen and dining area. From what he could see, around the left corner from where he was standing, appeared to be the edge of a living room. At the table was an array of foods that looked very tempting. He saw pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, toast and cereal. In the kitchen was a brown-haired woman dressed in a pair of jeans, a white shirt and with a light purple apron tied around her middle. The main thing he noticed about her was that she had the warmest olive eyes he had ever seen. The sort of eyes a mother should have, which is who she was, right? Jaden's adoptive mother.

She looked over at him and flushed with nervousness; an action that surprised Harry. She looked so anxious and unsure that he felt a little better to know he wasn't the only one.

'Jaden!' She tried to smile without looking stressed. 'I...I didn't know what you liked so, I think I went a little overboard.' The woman blushed as she watched him approach the table to look at his meal options.

'Oh, thanks. It all looks great.' Harry told her, hoping to make her feel better because she had gone to such an effort for him.

'Okay. Good.' She exhaled. 'Have whatever you like. I'll get you some orange juice...or would you prefer milk? Water?'

'Juice is fine.' Harry nodded.

He sat down at the table, keeping his eyes on the lady for a moment until his hunger won over and he stabbed his fork into the nearest pancake. After sipping his juice, Harry paused when there was a light tug at the bottom of his sweater. Looking down in alarm, he saw a three-year-old boy smiling up at him. The boy had sandy-coloured hair, several freckles and bright blue eyes of innocence yet mischief; a very odd combination.

'Jay!' He said and waved his small hand at Harry.

'Oh, this is your new brother Billy.' The lady said as she picked Billy up and placed him in a high-chair so the boy could reach his own bowl of cereal. 'I'm Darcy. You don't have to call me “mum” or anything if you're not comfortable with that yet.' She added quickly. 'I just want you to know that we're really happy to have you here, Jaden.'

'Thanks.' Harry said awkwardly, not having a clue about how he was supposed to react. He decided to continue eating his breakfast and was relieved to notice that his decision appeared to be an okay one when Darcy only smiled once and returned to the kitchen.

As he continued to eat, Harry looked around the strange house (of what he could see from his seat, anyway) and observed a wand sitting on the closest counter in the kitchen. He assumed, because of this, that Darcy was a witch. Yet the house had muggle appliances. His mind then shifted to thoughts of Hogwarts. He would have finished his first year now and be preparing to move on to his second, instead here he was in an unfamiliar house with strangers and as someone entirely different. He was going to repeat his first year all over again, without the friends he had and that was so confusing. Harry didn't know what to do, or if he should be demanding to see Dumbledore or something. Anything other than just sitting at the table and eating his breakfast like...

'Like a normal family member.' Harry whispered to himself in realisation.

'Pardon?' Darcy looked over at him.

'Oh, nothing.' Harry quickly sipped from his juice and almost choked on the cold liquid in the rush.

'Jay! Jay!' Billy hit his spoon against the edge of his bowl in attempt to get his attention. Harry looked over and smiled, though he had no experience at all with kids so much younger than himself.

'Because the adoption wasn't finalised until yesterday, I held off on getting your school supplies so that we could get them together, and to make sure the robes are the right measurements.' Darcy said from the kitchen.

She picked up her wand and waved it, smiling a little as Harry stared wide-eyed at the plates that hovered into the kitchen and either stored themselves in the fridge or self-washed in the sink. Billy made the sound effects nearby, which almost distracted Harry from what Darcy was saying.

'We'll go soon then.' She decided. 'The Leaky Cauldron is only a few minutes walk from here, so we'll go and get your things even if it is a bit last-minute.'

'But I haven't any money.' Harry rose from his seat, feeling guilt overcome him as he remembered his gold in the Potter vault, which he probably wouldn't have access to as Jaden Royce.

'That's alright; we have enough.' Darcy smiled. 'You're such a sweet boy, Jaden. Don't worry...as your mother it's my job to take care of you, so you just enjoy yourself today, okay? I only wish we had more time to get to know each other before you started school.' She sighed.

Harry did too. Not just because he didn't want to return to Hogwarts with all of his confusion, but because there was something about Darcy that convinced him of how wonderful she was. She was pretty, kind, and tried her best to be a good mother to a boy she never even met before today. He thought she was doing a good job but was too shy to tell her that, plus he didn't want to end up sounding stupid.

Darcy went about tidying the kitchen with a few more flicks of her wand and lifted Billy from his chair while Harry waited by the door. He felt so awkwardly lost and out of place. Harry desperately needed to tell someone what was going on, to find out what happened so he can go back to his own life, his own body and wherever he had been before his entire life and everything he knew had been flipped.

'Ready?' Darcy asked and cast a spell on Billy so the younger boy couldn't wander off. Harry nodded, though it was a lie, and followed after them. The only comforting sight to him at that moment was the existence of magic. He watched as the three-year-old dressed in dark pants, a red shirt and a tan robe-like jacket seemed attached to an invisible string whenever he wandered more than two feet away from Darcy.

-- 

Harry exhaled with minimal relief at the sight of the Leaky Cauldron. It looked and smelled the same, so for those several seconds that he stood inside it, he could not be happier. Harry followed Darcy outside and soon into Diagon Alley itself, remembering when he had last been there with Hagrid. It looked just as incredible as it had then, a whole year ago.

He was handed his school letter and Harry paused in the street to read over it while Darcy looked through the window of a nearby store. He saw the name “Mr J Royce” written at the top of the parchment and lowered his gaze to the letter and list themselves, which were identical to the one he had received (after much struggle) as “Mr H Potter”.

It felt strange, like everything else since he had woken, to be walking through Diagon Alley with a stranger and buying all of his belongings again. He got a new trunk, his set of first year books, his school uniform and robes, another cauldron...and yet these were new to Jaden who had presumably never owed such items before. His head throbbed again with the disorientation.

'Would you like a pet?' Darcy offered. 'An owl, perhaps?'

Harry looked towards the creature store and thought of Hedwig, who had been his first birthday present and friend. Shaking his head “no”, he managed to convince Darcy that he didn't want a pet and only succeeded when he added “maybe next year”. He would be Harry Potter again by then....he hoped. The thought of being Jaden for a whole year caused a shudder to spread through his spine and fingertips.

'I still need...a wand.' Harry paused outside Ollivander's store.

A non-existent chill made him numb as he remembered the wand he already had, one in which he was very attached to and felt horrible about replacing it. Yet he needed a wand, more than anything, and since he had no idea where Harry Potter's wand was...Jaden Royce had to get one.

As they walked into the store, Darcy lifted Billy into her arms (who was happily eating a large lollipop as a distraction from his boredom), and moved to stand beside Harry. He looked at her and wondered if he would feel guilty about taking her new son away from her when he became Harry Potter again. He had little time to ponder when Ollivander appeared suddenly and stared right at him. For a brief second, Harry thought that finally someone had noticed who he really was and saw through the falseness. If the older wizard did notice anything amiss, Ollivander did not show it at all.

'Well then, Mr Royce...' Ollivander's hands trailed over numerous boxes before his fingertips came to a pause halfway down the shelf.

'It's this exciting?' Darcy smiled. 'Your first wand!'

'Yeah.' Harry tried to return the enthusiasm, since she had no way of knowing that he was Harry Potter. And he liked Darcy, so Harry didn't want to be rude or take away the joy of the moment for her, though he didn't understand it since he was the one getting a wand and she already had one.

'Holly...thirteen inches...phoenix tail feather. Very flexible.' Ollivander held out the wand and Harry accepted it, already giving it a wave which he remembered to do from the previous year. Painless sparks shot from the end and caused Harry to drop the wand in surprise. Billy stared at him and Darcy took an instinctive step back in alarm.

'Not your wand at all, it seems.' Ollivander retrieved the item and returned to the shelves upon shelves of thin boxes. He came back in matter of seconds with another. 'Alder...twelve and a half inches...unicorn tail hair. Unyielding.'

Harry reached for it but it was snatched away before he had the chance to cause what probably would have been something chaotic. Eight wands later and Ollivander was looking to be quite stressed. Darcy had moved to stand a few feet away to keep Billy occupied while Harry was also nervous, hoping that because he wasn't himself that the wands were becoming conflicted. How ironic it would be that no one could notice the truth except the one thing that may help him – a wand.

'Olive...fourteen and three quarter inches...dragon heartstring. Durable.' Ollivander offered another wand.

Harry held it in his hand and when nothing happened, he gave it a wave...which proved to be a mistake when Ollivander's hair set on fire. Oddly enough, this did seem not bother the wizard, who simply waved his own wand and the flames were vanished, leaving only a few darkened smudges on the his forehead.

Harry fidgeted as he watched Ollivander vanish amongst the shelves yet another time. He looked over his shoulder at Darcy and expected her to appear annoyed but she looked no less enthusiastic than she had twenty minutes ago. It boosted his hope a little as he looked back around in time to see another wand being trust under his nose.

'Aspen...thirteen inches...phoenix tail feather. Surprisingly swishy.' Ollivander said as he handed over the wand and watched carefully when Harry accepted it warily. He didn't get to wave it as a warmth spread through him and to his fingertips, like last time, and Harry knew that this aspen wand with the same core as his other wand, was his. At least, for now...as long as he was Jaden Royce.

Darcy went to pay Ollivander the galleons while Billy stood next to Harry and clapped for him with gleeful applause. Harry looked down at the younger boy and smiled. He almost expected something to follow, such as another creepy description about his wand or something “curious” ...yet the only thing that occurred was their departure from the store.

 


 

The rest of the day passed with a metaphorical blur. Before long, for what felt like a mere half an hour since he had left Ollivander's with his new wand, Harry was showering and preparing for bed. He would pack his new belongings into his truck in the morning.

'Good night, Jaden.' Darcy smiled from the doorway as she prepared to turn off the bedroom light.

'Night.' Harry nodded as he sank underneath the wonderfully soft covers of the bed. He was plunged into darkness, though his door was left ajar, and Darcy's footsteps faded down the hallway.He lay there and was still coming into terms with everything. It was too long to be a dream and too weird to be some sort of trick, which meant it could only be real. And that was a major problem.

Tomorrow he would be going to Hogwarts as someone else, be sorted into a house he might not want and attend classes he'd already taken. What happened if he wasn't sorted into Gryffindor again? He'd only just escaped Slytherin last time. And what about his friends? Would they miss him, or was this Jaden person at the Dursleys in his place? How was he going to find out what happened and how to reverse it if he had no clue whatsoever who was responsible or where it even occurred?

At times like these, Harry really wished Hermione was here to help him find the answers and Ron to cheer him up. He missed them both so much, wondering if they felt the same.

Harry rolled over and slipped his hand underneath his pillow, feeling that the letter was still there. Tears filled his eyes as he was emotionally a wreck from all of the confusion and fear of what was going to happen and if he would be able to keep up such an act when he had no one to turn to for help. Was it a spell? Dumbledore might know, but Harry couldn't approach him with it. Was it a potion? Yeah, like he'd EVER go to Snape for help! Not that the git would give it, anyway. Unless...what if Snape had been the one to do this?

Growling, as he thought it was just the thing Snape would do to make him as miserable as possible, Harry rolled onto his other side restlessly and glared into the darkness of his room. His room. When had he began to call it that? His room...his home...his family. No! Harry shook his head, fighting those wishes away because they could not come true, not like this.

Still, it was a hundred times better than Privet Drive.

--

Without being aware of it, Harry fell into a slumber where he dreamed of Snape throwing him into a huge cauldron and filling it with gross, slimy ingredients from jars while barking insults that Harry couldn't quite understand.

As bright sunlight came through his window the next morning, Harry was awoken by something tickling his nose. Opening his eyes, he was confused for a moment until he remembered the past day, realising with a pang of annoyance, that it was certainly not a dream. Looking to his left, he saw Billy standing there with a large feather, which had evidentially woken him.

'Jay!' Billy smiled, showing a few gaps where teeth should be. 'Are you awake?'

'I am now.' Harry groaned and sat upright. He looked around for the time but couldn't see a clock anywhere in the bedroom. 'What time is it?' He asked, forgetting that he was talking to a three-year-old.

'How shud I know?' Billy shrugged.

The boy turned and walked away, still waving his long white feather in his hand. Harry wondered why Billy had even intruded on his sleep at all. It was no use now though, as he was already awake. The reality of the day sank in again as he spotted a calender pinned to a space of his wall above his desk. Leaving his bed, Harry flipped over the page showing a moonlit sky to reveal one of an endless green field. September. The 1st was circled with a red marker, just as it would have been had Harry spent the summer with the Dursleys.

Dressing in a pale blue shirt and another pair of jeans, Harry tugged a dark sweater over his head and left his room. He didn't bother with the mirror this time as Harry doubted he was going to see anything different. He didn't need to stare into the reflection of another and be once again reminded of who he wasn't.

'Good morning.' Darcy smiled at him with the warm expression she always seemed to have whenever she looked at her new son. 'Did Billy wake you up?' She sympathised.

'Yeah.' Harry sighed as he sat in the same chair he had the previous day with his back towards the stairs. He looked over to the kitchen and saw a round, silver clock that showed the time to be just after seven.

'What would you like for breakfast?' Darcy asked.

'Oh, um...toast is fine.' Harry shrugged, not used to having someone else make breakfast in the kitchen. At Hogwarts it was different as the food simply appeared and he had no choice in the matter.

'Jam? Butter?' Darcy gave him options.

'Both.' Harry replied.

He watched her with curiosity and noticed that she seemed calmer than yesterday yet still a little on edge. It was so weird to see an adult going out of their way to make him comfortable or happy. She was trying so hard to make him feel welcome even when she knew nothing about him, as Harry or Jaden. He felt bad again, knowing that his primary goal was ultimately to take that away from her so he could be Harry Potter again.

'Here you go.' She placed a plate containing two slices of buttered toast with jam, which came with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice in front of him. Because it was made by a mother-figure just for him, Harry thought it looked like the most delicious meal ever.

'Thank you.' He told her.

'You're welcome.' Darcy nodded. 'And once you're finished, you might want to get to work on packing. We'll be leaving at ten.'

He almost asked “why?” until that sinking feeling returned. Hurriedly eating his food before he could lose his appetite, Harry gulped down his orange juice whole and paused only to watch the glass join the plate in hovering to the sink to wash themselves. He turned and rushed up the stairs again, heading into the now-familiar bedroom. His trunk and school belongings were in one corner and provided him with an excellent distraction from his troubling thoughts and personal worries.

Wondering how all of his books and clothes were going to fit, Harry realised that packing was going to be much harder than he's origionally thought. He didn't have this trouble at the Dursleys because he had so few clothes, but here he had an entire wardrobe and multiple drawers to pick which ones he wanted. That ultra-soft Slytherin-like sweater from the day before was the first thing he threw into his trunk, which was soon joined by pairs of jeans, socks, underwear, robes, gloves for the winter, more socks, and then a dozen or so shirts and additional sweaters.

Because he only had Dudley's dreadful leftovers of clothes to wear all the time, Harry had never developed a style of clothes he preferred to wear. But the “collared shirt with a sweater” was really working for him and he decided to stick with it. It was all perfectly his size, new and Harry liked the way they looked on him. Even if it wasn't the real him.

After packing and re-packing at least five times, Harry finally slammed the trunk lid shut and sat on it to make sure it would close properly. It was quartered to ten by the time he had finished. Harry was certain he had time-travelled because there was no way it had felt like anything over two hours ago that he'd woken and had breakfast. Yet it was, and now he was in a hurry as he put on his socks and shoes. He double-checked that he hadn't left anything behind and then gripped his trunk to pull towards the door of the room while a few other items were tucked under his arm.

He stopped at the doorway and gave the room once last glance. Reaching for the knob, Harry rushed back and pulled his letter from underneath the pillow. He shoved it into his jeans pocket before he dragged his trunk loudly down all of the stairs leading to the kitchen/dining room.

'There you are.' Darcy exhaled with relief and checked her watch. 'Alright, have you got everything?' She asked and he nodded, hoping he had. 'Good. Let's go then.' She picked up Billy and led the two boys outside, casting a spell to lock and ward the house before she directed Harry towards a plain, dark blue SUV.

With his trunk packed away, Harry got into the car's back seat where Billy was sitting in his seat and playing with a dragon figurine, which flapped its wings every few seconds. Once everyone was ready, Darcy started the engine the muggle way and the journey to the station of King's Cross began.

Harry looked out the window the entire trip, feeling overwhelmingly anxious to the point that he thought he was going to be sick. The drive hadn't been long, yet there was no time to waste as Darcy parked the car and Harry got out. Retrieving his trunk while Darcy collected Billy, it was hard for Harry to focus on anything else other than getting inside the station. Harry realised then that he was missing a very crucial item.

'My ticket! It should have been with my letter, but I...' He stopped when Darcy held it out to him with a knowing smile. 'Oh. Thanks.' He blushed and hurried after her as they crossed the road and entered King's Cross Station.

It looked the same and Harry wasn't really paying attention to much more than his memories of being lost and then meeting the Weasleys a year ago. He suddenly remembered that he had been wanting to visit Ron over the summer but had clearly missed out.

Harry Potter had missed out on a lot of things lately.

'Here we are!' Darcy stopped before the barrier between platforms nine and ten. 'Are you ready, Jaden?' She asked the same question he always felt he was lying about whenever he nodded “yes” to it. He inhaled sharply and looked at the solid wall, which magically wasn't solid at all. Giving his trolley a push, Harry quickened his speed and still winced as he reached the wall, even as he ended up on Platform Nine and Three Quarters. He moved closer to the sight of the scarlet train before his gaze shifted around the crowd in search of a familiar face.

Darcy and Billy joined him a moment later and Harry was directed towards the luggage compartment. Putting his trunk on-board, he sadly missed the cage containing his snowy owl and felt miserable again, even when he was supposed to be excited to be going to Hogwarts.

'It's almost eleven.' Darcy nearly made Harry jump as she spoke to him. 'You better get going.'The sadness in her tone distracted him and Harry turned to face her.

The guilt returned and he felt bad for her because she'd just gained a new son the day before and was now saying goodbye so he could go to Hogwarts. Acting on impulse, Harry wrapped his arms around her and hugged her as warmly as he possibly could. Parting, he saw tears in her eyes but a brilliant smile on her face. He pondered on a strange word and decided that she needed it, Darcy deserved it, really.

'Goodbye, mum.' Harry said.

It had been for her, but what a wonderful feeling it was to say that to someone. There Harry was, as Jaden Royce, standing on the magical Platform bidding his new mother and little brother good bye as he prepared to go to Hogwarts. It was sad and wonderous all at once. It was everything he had dreamed of, and for that moment Harry did not care if he looked like someone else and simply tried to pretend, for that heartfelt moment, that this was real. This was his family.

'Bye bye, Jay!' Billy waved from where he stood beside Harry. Darcy was trying to be discreet about composing herself, so Harry pretended not to notice her sniffling and focused on the younger boy instead.

'Bye, Billy.' Harry said.

'You won't forget me?' Billy asked with a trembling lower lip and big, sad eyes.

'Never.' Harry promised.

'And don't forget to write; let us know how you're going.' Darcy added, sounding much less emotional now. Her smile only continued to grow and Harry felt proud to have been the one to put it there. 'We still need to get to know each other, so will you mind coming home for the breaks too?'

Harry had spent every break he could at Hogwarts last time because he never wanted to go back to the Dursleys. But to Darcy and Billy?

'Sure.' Harry nodded.

Deep down he felt terrible because he secretly hoped he would be Harry Potter again by Christmas. Still, his desire to pretend this was his real family and everything was good won over and the guilt faded.

A whistle from the train broke their moment as steam issued and doors began to close. Darcy urged him forward and Harry quickly got on-board. He stuck his head out a window like many others were doing and waved to his pretend family. Billy was waving from Darcy's arms, using both of his hands to bid farewell. Darcy was crying again, but smiling with that warmness Harry was addicted to already. He waved and waved, until the platform and his new family had vanished.

Turning around, Harry realised that he was on the Hogwarts Express, heading back to the magical school of Hogwarts. But as someone else. A first year yet to be sorted, who had no current friends, and also...no train compartment to sit in.

Groaning, Harry stepped into the corridor closest to him and began to walk along it, trying to keep his footing steady as he walked. He spotted several compartments with older students he didn't know, then several filled with giggling girls he certainly didn't want to join, and yet the further he walked the more hopeless it seemed. Until he came to one last compartment in that general section of the train.

Inside was a boy his age with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. He was sitting alone in the compartment, staring towards the window in the same way that Harry had one year ago. Stepping into the doorway, Harry knocked awkwardly on the glass and watched as the boy quickly turned to notice him.

'Excuse me?' Harry asked, remembering how Ron had questioned the same thing to him. 'Do you mind? Everywhere else is full.' Which wasn't entirely true, but this was his best chance at sitting in a compartment and Harry didn't want to lose it.

'Sure!' The boy nodded with a shy but wide smile.

Exhaling with relief, Harry stepped inside and sat across from the unknown boy who was likely going to be his classmate. Maybe they would even share a dorm, just like he had Ron had...except Harry already had a best friend and didn't need another one. Still, his friends didn't know he was Harry and it couldn't hurt to have a friendly classmate around, could it?

'I'm Kevin Antron.' The boy told him. 'Are you starting this year too?'

Harry wasn't sure if he was lying or not, but he nodded his head anyway. 'I'm Har...I'm Jaden Royce.' He really hoped he got that name right and couldn't believe he'd almost slipped, though in all fairness...Harry Potter was his REAL name.

'Nice to meet you.' Kevin nodded. 'I'm really excited, though I don't know what to expect.' He said nervously.

Anything Harry had been about to reply with was cut off by another knock at the door. This time it was someone Harry had completely forgotten about until now.

'Oh, do you mind if I join you?' Ginny Weasley asked. 'I can't find another compartment anywhere. I was going to sit with one of my brothers but I couldn't find any of them.' She frowned.

'Yeah, sure.' Kevin nodded again while Harry remained quiet.

Ginny moved to sit beside him so he did his best to try and ignore her. Such a thing proved impossible as another round of introductions followed. Luckily, the sweets trolley arrived moments later and everyone was too busy eating sweets to bother much with conversation.

Harry had been expecting the journey to take forever and that he would be feeling sickly nervous the entire way. Yet it passed by rather smoothly with the three of them talking about useless things like how many rooms Hogwarts castle might have and the different preferences of pets. He tuned out when Ginny talked about Ron's rat Scabbers and pretended to be more interested in the darkening sky outside.

'Do you have a pet, Jaden?' Ginny asked.

'I think we should change into our robes now.' Harry diverted. 'It looks like we're nearly there.'

And he was right. Not even twenty minutes later, the train pulled into Hogsmeade Station and Harry felt another pang of sadness to hear Hagrid's booming voice over the crowd, calling the first years. Remembering that such an instruction applied to him, Harry hurried after the disappearing forms of Kevin and Ginny.

Along the way, he bumped into an older student and went to apologise, but froze at the sight of either Fred or George Weasley. Worried about missing the boat, he quickly looked away and chased after the others. Harry climbed into the last boat with Kevin (Ginny had joined a different one, it seemed), and two other boys. One had shoulder-length black hair, dark eyes and tanned skin while the other had golden blonde hair and dull blue eyes. Neither paid Harry or Kevin much notice, though the second boy nodded with brief greeting.

The boats moved forward and Harry stared up at the towering castle of Hogwarts, smiling at it because even if he had been in the same place last year...it wasn't any less amazing now as it had been then. The gasps and stares around him confirmed that he was not the only one thinking of the scenery in an admirable manner.

He felt...home. But how could he? Harry wasn't Harry Potter, he was Jaden Royce...he was someone entirely different and none of this should be real. He should be with Ron and Hermione already seated inside the Great Hall, watching others being sorted instead of himself again. He was scared, still confused, and dreading what was ahead. Suddenly the boat ride seemed a lot less magical than it had the first time when he had no clue what to expect and no previous connection to the castle or its occupants.

As he followed the others out of the boats and inside the castle, he saw that McGonagall was waiting for them as she had last time. It all seemed the same, like history repeating itself, yet Harry was so different that it was even less of a normal situation.

'Welcome to Hogwarts.' McGonagall began and talked about the houses, the sorting, and how their house would be like their family while they were at Hogwarts. Gryffindor was his school family...what happened if he got sorted somewhere else? Harry was anxious and just wanted to run into the Great Hall, sit down with his friends, and pretend that the last awful day or two had never happened.

Instead, he followed the group of first years just as nervous as he was (though for almost different reasons), until they stopped at the front. The moment continued until, finally...

'Jaden Royce!'

Then something happened that had certainly not occurred last time.

There was no voice, no pondering and no choice...only a singular decision declared to the entire room barely two seconds after the worn old hat had touched his head.

'SLYTHERIN!'

Harry knew it then, as his whole body felt cold and weak...he wasn't home. He was in a living nightmare. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
I had to end it there, however next chapter I will add more details of the sorting ceremony before we proceed I will then be adding another banner showing the main characters from Harry/Jaden's class. I had an extra paragraph or two but I could not add this fic unless I took it out. Long, annoying story. It will be in the next chapter. I also had to be really minimal with the breaks in this chapter as well, sorry!

Please let me know what you thought of the story so far, any questions/requests you have an so on. This story is something new I am trying as I usually write Harry/Snape fatherly fics, but this one is not. At least, not yet...I am uncertain of its overall future yet as I have only planned as far as the first few weeks at Hogwarts.
A Change of House Colours by watercrystals

When Harry reluctantly followed the other first years through the large doors of the Great Hall for the second time in his life, his gaze was primarily fixated on the glowing floating candles towards the ceiling. Until it became uncomfortable for his neck and he feared tripping over his own robes in front of everyone. He then stared at the floor for the rest of the walk towards the front near the staff table. Harry deliberately avoided the gaze of anyone he passed and shivered with continued nervousness when he paused again, seeing the sorting hat that rested on its stool beside Professor McGonagall. She held that dreaded list of names upon the important roll of parchment in her hand.

Headmaster Dumbledore rose from his seat at the center of the staff table and spoke to the entire hall of students and staff. Harry didn't hear him; his mind was still buzzing with fears and “Jaden Royce” who he was supposed to be. He avoided looking at anyone familiar, too scared of how he might react if he saw Hagrid, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore or anyone else he knew. When Harry did lift his gaze, he looked over at the staff table until his browned eyes met with the darker, cold-looking orbs belonging to Professor Snape. Harry stared at his least favourite teacher and waited for the glare or brief pain in his forehead...it never happened and there had been no hatred, only curiosity and boredom.

'Now, when I call your name you will come forward and place the sorting hat on your head, then you will be sorted into your house.' McGonagall explained, capturing Harry's nervous attention again. He glanced at an equally anxious Kevin beside him and felt a little relieved that at least he had someone friendly with him during the terrible moment.

'Blake Alden!' McGonagall called.

A boy towards Harry's right emerged, keeping his gaze towards the floor similar to how had Harry minutes ago. He looked to be blushing at the attention as he made his way to the stool and sat down.

'RAVENCLAW!'

The table next to the Slytherins (who were to Harry's furtherest left), cheered and clapped as the still blushing Blake Alden went to join them. Harry fidgeted on his feet and groaned when the next name was called. So much for his reassuring company.

'Kevin Antron!' McGonagall said.

'Wish me luck!' Kevin whispered with a pale face to Harry and approached the stool. Harry watched his new sort-of friend and crossed his fingers behind his back. Please be Gryffindor...please be Gryffindor like me! 

'SLYTHERIN!'

Merlin's mouldy underwear! Harry cursed in his mind and sighed sadly as he watched Kevin smile. He gave Harry a wave before he hurried to sit with the last house Harry wanted to be in and despised. He tried not to glare as Kevin sat beside Draco Malfoy, though the pair hardly acknowledged each other beyond two seconds.

'Ellis Biscombe!'

Harry hated the ceremony and wished it was all done with before they had to come to Hogwarts, though that would prove rather challenging, because it was so nerve-wrecking and he was going through it a second time. In attempt to ease his mood and pass the time, Harry tried to guess what house his new classmates might end up in. Such as Ellis Biscombe, who had marched straight over to the hat and sat down. She seemed eager to know which house she was in and was not too worried about the entire ordeal. He had seen her smile at him in greeting as she'd politely moved by him. Harry was sure she was in Gryffindor, or maybe even Hufflepuff.

'SLYTHERIN!'

Harry was surprised as Ellis took off the hat and went to join Kevin. He frowned and figured that looks alone were even less to go by than he'd realised. He sighed with dread as a small Colin Creevey became a Gryffindor and an energetic Belle Eathorne went to Ravenclaw. Curtis Glasson was looking towards the Slytherin table as his name was called, having almost missed McGonagall's words because he had been waving to an older boy there. Harry guessed Curtis might go to Slytherin as well, since the third year boy looked to be his brother. And he was right; yet another Slytherin was declared by the sorting hat.

'Adam Grayson!'

Harry noticed that the tanned boy behind him who had just been called was one he'd sat with in the boat; the black-haired and dark-eyed boy who had ignored him and Kevin entirely. He couldn't say he was surprised when he too went to Slytherin.

'Kody Harvey!'

Harry wouldn't say he was getting bored, with all his dread and nervousness, but his mind did feel rather numb and disconnected from the scene. He felt a bit tired and wanted to sit with his friends at the Gryffindor table. He was tempted to look, just once, to see if they were there.

'HUFFLEPUFF!'

Maybe one little peak? Surely Ron's red hair won't be too hard to spot? It was unavoidable to come across his friends again, yet maybe now was not the best time. Or it could be the only other time he'd have the nerve.

Fidgeting on his feet some more, Harry watched and pondered to himself as Tyler Harvey became a Ravenclaw and Casey Kinver a Hufflepuff. The other boy who had sat with Harry, Kevin and Adam on the boat turned out to be a boy named Alvin Locke. He'd nodded with greeting so he was friendlier than Adam, who had gone to Slytherin, yet Harry had given up trying to guess houses. He was still surprised when Alvin was declared a Gryffindor.

'Excuse me. You seem bothered by something.' A girl spoke to him in a dreamy tone. He glanced at her, startled by the voice at his side, and wasn't sure what to say. Of all people and moments, why was this classmate talking to him? Harry's confusion faded as he only offered her a shrug in reply and looked back at the front.

'Luna Lovegood!'

'That would be me.' The girl smiled as she moved passed Harry and stepped up to the stool.She offered McGonagall a smile as she sat down, letting the hat fall over her blonde head, though it only remained there for a few seconds.

'RAVENCLAW!'

Harry looked along the staff table anxiously, his heart skipped a beat and his stomach felt heavy as he saw Hagrid and Dumbledore amongst the Professors that he knew and didn't. Sighing, Harry really tried to focus on the sorting when really all he could think of were possible ways to escape it.

'Jezzica Newth!' A chubby girl with curly hair and glasses was called up next.

Harry realised that McGonagall was up to 'N' and he was at 'R', so surely his turn would be soon? A sickening feeling emerged as his hands felt sweaty and Harry continued to feel the urge to flee. The crowd of unsorted classmates around him began to thin. Though the wait felt to have taken hours...suddenly it was his turn.

'Jaden Royce!'

His name was called. Well, not HIS name...but it meant all the same to the rest. With a shaking posture, Harry walked the few feet that felt like a mile to the stool. He shuddered and sat underneath the hat, waiting and dreading for a reply. Then something happened that had certainly not occurred last time.

There was no voice, no pondering and no choice...only a singular decision declared to the entire room barely two seconds after the worn old hat had touched his head.

'SLYTHERIN!'

Harry knew it then, as his whole body felt cold and weak...he wasn't home. He was in a living nightmare. One that had started as a spreading dread emerged as a sickening discomfort that took residence in his stomach. His knees weak and his throat constricting, yet Harry knew he had to move. Carefully, in case he would collapse, Harry rose from the stool and allowed McGonagall to retrieve the hat. He glanced around the room once, ignoring the cheers from his least-favourite house, as he expected to hear gasps from those who knew him and stares from the rest. Nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary; Jaden Royce had been placed into Slytherin, what was so alarming about that?

Swallowing, Harry made his way to the Slytherin table with no ounce of rushing and didn't want to sit down. A smile from Kevin, who had saved him a seat, was motivation enough as Harry finally sank onto the wooden seat. He expected it to feel less comfortable and colder than the Gryffindor one had, but ultimately is was just a seat. Harry felt that the odd sight of Slytherin house clapping and greeting his arrival was going to be stuck in his mind for quite some time. 

The rest of the sorting seemed to go by in a blink, likely because his anticipation had faded and there were not as many students after the letter 'R'. Zoee Tallack became a Gryffindor, a tomboyish girl Serene Ursell sat across from Harry as a Slytherin, soon joined by a boy Harry instantly didn't like, Traise Vellacott, though Draco appeared to be more interested in Traise's arrival than he had the rest.

'Ginevra Weasley!'

Harry smiled a little as he watched Ginny be sorted. Hers took longer than he had expected, given how fast Ron's had been, but she was soon declared a Gryffindor like her brothers had before her. He made the mistake of watching her approach the cheering table and a mass of red hair became obvious. Harry ducked his head quickly and gripped the edges of his chair, his eyes closed for a second as he tried to erase the image of the cheering twins and clapping Ron, who had been sitting with a grinning Hermione.

His friends were here, there was no denying that, and they did not appear to miss him at all.

The last two first years to be sorted were Slytherins. Two girls. One who was Chinese and wore a serious expression though it contradicted her colourful hair clips. Her name was Ann Windle and she was nothing like the last girl sorted right after her, Kelsey Worlegan, because that girl already annoyed Harry...there was just something about the way she acted that made him think Kelsey was snobby and irritating.

And at long last, what felt to have taken all night, the Sorting Ceremony was over and dinner begun after a few nonsense words from Dumbledore.

'I'm glad we're in the same house, Jaden.' Kevin smiled at Harry's right while he reached for some chicken.

Harry glanced at the food and decided to give in to his hunger as he too began to serve himself chicken with potatoes. 'Yeah.' Harry replied only to not give himself away.

The truth was that he felt more miserable than he had before, if that was actually possible. He was not a Slytherin! Yet there he sat, nervously amongst those he had spent the past year hating. Draco Malfoy was several spaces away and out of his hearing range, but the over-confident blonde bully was still there and now Harry would be sharing a common room with him.Terrific.

As the meal progressed, Harry noticed that people had changed places, especially Curtis who had gone to sit with his third-year brother, Mack, further along the table. Harry had Kevin to his right as they faced the rest of the hall and the two girls on the seat opposite them; Ellis the girl who had smiled at him before and Chinese Ann, who was seated directly across from Kevin.

'I think, if we're going to be sharing dorms or attending classes together, that we should at least be able to remember each others names.' The friendly girl with light brown hair and blue eyes – Ellis – spoke first. 'I'm Ellis Biscombe, pureblood.' She said, apparently deciding to start with herself though no one had actually agreed to her idea yet.

'I really enjoy Quidditch and can't wait to learn more about Charms since it was my mother's favourite class while she was here.' She added. 'What about you?' Ellis glanced at Kevin.

'Oh, um...' Kevin had to swallow his food first. 'I'm Kevin Antron.' He thought about what to tell them. 'I don't know that to say, really...I don't know much of what to expect, but I think it's great so far. I can't wait to experience it all and learn to use magic.' He smiled.

'Ann Windle.' The black-haired Chinese girl sighed. 'Pureblood. I live in England with my father. I don't have much to comment with classes or sport, but I do wish we could add more colour to our uniform.' She said while re-adjusting a bright purple clip in her hair.

Harry gulped and almost forgot to speak when the three looked at him and his mind fought for something to tell them. The truth would be easier, yet how much of it should he really tell?

'Jaden Royce.' He said the name he was adapting to using instead of his own. 'I live with my adoptive mother and little brother.' Harry remembered and frowned at his recollections about Slytherins and their obsessions with blood purity, yet he did not want to be become a scorned outsider right away. 'My parents were a witch and wizard, though they died when I was a baby. I lived with relatives until I was adopted recently.' He felt the need to add something else in case he'd already said too much. 'And I love Quidditch.'

'I'm sorry to hear about your parents.' Ann told him with sad eyes, making him wonder why his brief story had saddened the otherwise serious girl so quickly.

'Yeah.' Kevin and Ellis nodded with agreement, though only showing sympathy in their expressions as the served themselves more food.

Harry exhaled with relief as no further comments occurred, though he noticed Ellis watching him carefully and that made him nervous once again. Whatever was on her mind, however, Ellis chose not to share it with them as the meal progressed and ended.

Another speech from Dumbledore was tuned out by Harry until reality crashed into his focus again when a prefect called the first year Slytherins. It was time to head to the Slytherin common room and their dormitories. Harry felt nothing but lingering dread and...fear. Perhaps because Harry knew he had no hope of feeling safe living in the dungeons with Slytherins where Snape would also be not far away in the place Harry considered enemy grounds.

Ironically, he compared the feeling of entering the Slytherin common room to what it must feel like to be thrown into a pit of concealed, slithering snakes.

The common room wasn't what he had expected though, besides the general darker and green tones. There were no bloody chains on the walls, no stashed skeletons or suspicious items of doom lying around. There were sofas, armchairs, tables, bookcases, a fireplace and other items that were very Slytherin yet otherwise not unlike the Gryffindor common room in terms of purpose. It was a bit bigger, though, and the windows showed proof of the common room being under the lake as rumoured. That did not make Harry feel any calmer, yet overall it was not as horrible nor as grandly evil as he had been expecting.

The prefect explained where their dormitories were and that their belongings had already been brought down. It was all Harry wanted to know so he could finally flee and hide somewhere until this day passed. And in the process of taking a step to do exactly that, Harry barely suppressed a yelp when a black figure burst into the room. He was relieved that he was not the only one who was startled by the sudden entrance of Professor Snape. He doubted the others felt anything other than surprise, unlike Harry, who loathed the man.

Edging to the corner near the entrance to the corridor leading to the dormitories (he was not stupid enough to try to escape while Snape was there), Harry wasn't listening to the Professor as his head pounded with his fear of discovery. Snape had a way of causing great inconvenience and misery to Harry so he was determined to evade the man as much as possible in case Snape realised he was an imposter in his own house. That would not end well at all for Harry or Jaden.

If quizzed during a matter of life and death, Harry would not even have a clue as to what Snape had been talking about - that's how anxious he was to stay away from the man and keep himself calm while fighting the desire to run as far and fast as he could. He doubted it would make much difference, since Snape was probably lecturing about not getting caught breaking rules and how to pick on Gryffindors.

After several excruciating minutes, Snape turned and left the common room, allowing Harry the chance to bolt to his dormitory.

Diving for the middle bed, Harry buried himself under the covers like a small child scared of a nightmare. He just lay there. Harry heard two others joining him in the room but didn't care. He wanted this nightmare to end so he could return to HIS life, his friends, his house and most of all...sanity.

Harry rolled over onto his stomach and while still being covered by his sheets, he buried his face into his pillow and tried not to let his emotions get the better of him. His entire life was gone and he was someone else. A Slytherin without his friends or anything familiar, besides magic and a teacher who hated him.

Harry was lost and just wanted to scream to everyone that he was Harry Potter. Yet no one would believe him, just as the letter-writing and situation-causing person had told him.

Without realising his own exhaustion, Harry's eyes closed against the smooth material of the white pillow. His mind began to drift to the life he missed as he lay under his unfamiliar sheets in a room he felt like an alien inside while being in denial about a house he didn't feel he belonged to. 

Sleep won over his emotional exhaustion until many hours later he woke to someone yelling a name.

'Jaden!'

Harry jerked awake and sat upright, letting the sheet fall from his head as he looked over at Kevin. His memories were intact as he had just been dreaming about them, but the day already felt so dramatically different from the last. Kevin, the friendly and amusing friend he had met on the train, seemed like someone less trustworthy and kind as Harry saw the other boy dressed in his school uniform – complete with the Slytherin tie and crest.

'C'mon, we're gonna to be late!' Kevin stressed. 'We missed breakfast but Adam got us our timetables.' He thrust a piece of parchment in front of Harry.

Double Potions was exactly the last thing Harry wanted to face that day, yet he was glad it was after lunch though he didn't fancy being late for Transfiguration either. Again.

Harry, knowing that his own turmoil had to wait, tossed off his sheet and hurried to dress in his uniform and robes. Grabbing his bag and the required necessities for class, Harry tried to ignore Kevin's urging nearby. He paused in front of the mirror and stared not at his slightly-familiar appearance that was still not his own, but the sight of his tie and crest that he itched to tear from his attire. He felt like he was betraying Gryffindor and himself though Kevin did not allow him a spare second to dwell on it.

'Let's go!' Kevin hopped from foot to foot until Harry hurried after him.

Unlike the previous year with Ron, Harry knew the way to the Transfiguration classroom and by mere minutes he had saved them both from being late. Exhaling with relief, Harry sank dramatically into a seat near the middle right side of the room. Kevin sat beside him looking just as winded and thankful. Harry saw the tabby cat sitting on the desk and knew what to expect, yet said nothing as he got out his equipment and waited for the lesson to begin.

With his wandering mind and stressed mood, the only thing Harry really learned in an hour was that his room mate Curtis should never set foot inside that classroom. Transfiguration was certainly a skill that seemed to end in chaos without Curtis even raising his wand. It was amusing to see that Professor McGonagall appeared to agree.

Mostly there was a lot of note-taking during that class, in which Harry had little trouble with as he had done it all before. He felt no guilt about being a year ahead of his classmates in terms of knowledge of the material, because Harry wasn't paying as much attention to it. He was thinking about where the real Harry Potter was, because so far there were no whispers about the real him and everything seemed to be normal around Hogwarts.

The sound of the bell broke Harry from his thoughts and within moments he was standing outside the classroom with Kevin, their arms filled with books, and each unsure about where to go next. They were due in Charms shortly yet while Kevin felt a little confused about how to get to the classroom, Harry just wanted to go back to his bed and hide again.

'Which way is it?' Kevin frowned as he shifted the weight of his textbooks.

Sighing, Harry pointed out the direction and reluctantly followed his friend to their next class. He hadn't been thinking about them for once, yet as Harry and Kevin stepped into another corridor there was a big shock and disorientation for Harry, who bumped into another student because of his lack of focus on his surroundings.

'Oh, sorry!' Harry said quickly and looked up to see who it was.

He hadn't expected to recognise the person but his chest felt injured and laced with ice when he saw Ron standing before him with Hermione and Neville on either side.

'Well, watch it!' Ron frowned back at him, not looking too pleased though Harry hadn't knocked him very hard. Harry was confused at first, until he remembered that he didn't look anything like Harry Potter. He was a Slytherin stranger to Ron.

'He said he was sorry.' Kevin said to Ron as he tugged at Harry's sleeve. 'C'mon, we don't want to be late for Charms.'

Harry wasn't aware of commanding his feet to move until Kevin had successfully led him away from the group of Hufflepuff and Gryffindor second years who appeared to be on their way outside, likely for Herbology.

He felt terrible again and sank into the nearest seat in the Charms classroom.Ellis joined his side while Kevin was at his left. They paid little attention to him and were more interested in Professor Flitwick; Harry was glad because he had no way of explaining his distracted state to them.

It had finally happened, much sooner than he had expected, yet Harry wished he hadn't seen friends when he had been entirely unprepared for it. Hermione's arms had been loaded with books as his and Kevin's had been, though it wasn't at all a surprise to Harry who was used to seeing her buried in her reading.

Ron and Neville had looked as they always did and it only made it worse. They appeared to be going about their business as usual and not missing him at all, which further urged Harry's further determined to find out the truth. Did he no longer exist? He'd hadn't seen a copy of himself with them so surely it wasn't just a matter of switching places? But then, why did his friends seem to lack such concern?

Questions addled his brain and filled his thoughts the entire lesson in Charms, in which he copied down a few notes when he could but otherwise cared nothing for.

Harry tried to focus, really he did, but even with Ellis constantly making scratching sounds with her quill with all the notes she took and Kevin frequently causing the pair to worry about how easily he almost spilled his ink bottle each time he went to use it, Harry's mind was simply elsewhere and he was unable to concentrate.

-- 

Walking out of the Charms classroom with Ellis and Kevin was much different than entering it. Harry was determined now, to find out something about where the real him was, as he marched towards the Great Hall. Ellis and Kevin were distracted as they conversed with each other so Harry didn't have to face their curiosity as he had to quickly re-direct his attention from the Gryffindor table to the Slytherin one.

He had momentarily forgotten which house he was supposed to be sitting at as Jaden Royce not Harry Potter.

'Hello.' Harry said awkwardly to a fourth year Slytherin boy with dark hair that he carefully sat beside. The boy nodded once and returned to checking over his own timetable.

'I'm new here, so I was wondering if I might ask you something?' Harry risked the question and waited anxiously for the hex or glare that may follow.

'What?' The boy sighed and looked over at him with annoyance but a willingness to listen, which spurred Harry onwards.

'Harry Potter.' He said and checked that the name was recognised. With a relief, the boy seemed to be familiar with the name so he did still exist, somewhere. 'He goes here, doesn't he?' Harry felt weird to be talking abut himself in such a way but it was necessary to get the answers he wanted.

'Used to.' The boy nodded and glanced back at his timetable. 'Doesn't anymore.'

'Why not?' Harry spoke a little too loudly and blushed at the disapproval he received from several others nearby. 'I mean...what happened?'

'Beats me.' The fourth year shrugged. 'Potter and two of his Gryffindor friends did something stupid last year and had a confrontation of some sort with our previous Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor, who turned out to be evil or whatever. Potter was found unconscious and is in Saint Mungo's. He hasn't woken since though seems unharmed, from what I heard.'

Harry didn't say or ask anything else. To do so would either turn into a frenzy for details or cause suspicion towards his interest.

When he'd faced Voldemort at the end of the previous school year, Harry had fallen unconscious and was now in hospital? Well, it was better than someone else being in his place yet it concerned Harry deeply. Had Voldemort done this? Will he ever be able to switch back? What if he never woke up? Even with the new information, Harry felt less stressed yet further lost than he had before. He decided that he had to get to Saint Mungo's and see for himself...but how? The only time when such a thing could even be possible was when he was “home” for the break and Christmas wasn't for another three months!

Groaning with defeat, Harry figured he'd worry about it later but for now he had to get a grip on being Jaden. People were going to get very suspicious soon if he didn't try to behave more normally and focusing in class was the first step.

Plus, he had Potions next and if Harry did what he had in Transfiguration and Charms...he shuddered at the thought of what Snape might do. Though he was dressed as a Slytherin and not the hated Harry Potter, he still doubted that it would make much difference if Snape caught him daydreaming or scribbling on his parchment during Potions. As far as Harry had seen, Snape never punished Slytherin students and even though he forced himself to realise that temporarily he was one of them...Harry still did not want to be the first Slytherin to noticeably get in trouble with Professor Snape. If anything would make him a hated outsider in Slytherin, Harry was convinced that something like that would certainly do the trick.

Harry was also convinced that the hatred Snape felt for him was so strong that even looking like someone else would not shield him from it. Though a part of him was so desperate for some normalcy in his life that Harry hoped Snape would realise the truth. No one would believe Harry if he told them, but he felt confident that Snape wouldn't receive the same scepticism, especially not from Dumbledore.

It was that small, dreading hope that Harry clung to as he and Kevin chose their seats in the Potions classroom not long later. Harry wished he had paid more attention to the seating arrangement as Kevin picked the middle of the first row for them to sit in. Taking the seat to Harry's left as usual, Kevin seemed at ease along with the other Slytherins whereas it was notable that the Gryffindors were on edge, naturally.

'Do you think that brewing Potions is anything like cooking?' Kevin asked Harry.

'Hm? Oh, I guess.' Harry shrugged.

With his equipment ready and body tense, Harry gripped his seat and waited with steady breathing for it to happen. Seconds passed and there was almost silence, until the door banged open and footsteps were heard. Even with his attempt to brace himself, Harry had still been startled enough to nearly fall out of his chair, just like the rest of his classmates.

Snape began with the exact sort of speech as he had the previous year, minus the horrible questions he had fired at Harry. The man stood at the front of the classroom and Harry refused to look at him, thinking he still needed a moment to prepare himself. Exhaling as Snape moved to sit at his desk, Harry waited with anticipation as the roll was called.

'Jaden Royce.'

Harry's head snapped up so fast he was surprised he hadn't hurt his neck. Looking over at the desk, he saw that Professor Snape was staring at him, no doubt surprised by his abrupt reaction and waiting for a confirmation.

'Here, sir.' Harry gulped.

He waited, watched and braced himself...yet Snape merely lowered his gaze and continued with the role calling. Finishing with the annoying Kelsey as usual, Snape then explained another thing or two about Potions before he gave instructions to their task which also appeared on the board at the front of the classroom. He rose from his desk and began to pace the room, making Harry further anxious when he could not keep the man in his line of sight. He turned once in his seat, watching as Snape seemed to hover more around the Gryffindors. Harry exhaled with inaudible relief and set to work on his potion, which he actually remembered quite well. He recalled a lot from that first lesson, as horrible as it had been.

When he looked over his shoulder again, Harry spotted Ginny working with a boy on either side of her; he hardly recognised them to be Colin and Alvin. Snape caught his curiosity and looked at him with a raised an eyebrow. Flushing with panic and embarrassment, Harry turned back around and buried himself in his task of re-reading his instructions before he proceeded with his potion.

He waited for something to happen but it never did.

Thinking he was safe, Harry mentally lectured himself as he was determined to not blow up his cauldron and place himself on the list of people Snape paid extra yet despising attention to. He was proud of himself too, by twenty minutes into the lesson, because Harry had done an excellent job with his potion compared to his classmates. It was then that he felt a bit bad for having done the lesson before, yet Harry might actually impress Snape this time (though he strongly doubted it) and that caused his guilt to fade.

He had to let his potion sit for a while; Harry sighed with relief and stepped back to savour the sight of his perfect potion, which was such a rare occurrence for him in that classroom. He glanced around and noticed that Kevin was having a little trouble and Ellis was re-reading a line of instruction with a contemptible frown on her face. Her potion seemed passable enough but Harry didn't want Kevin to get into trouble.

Unaware of the shadow looming over him, Harry nudged his friend and whispered to him.

'The skin will react badly to the mucus if you don't cut it fine enough.'

'How do you know?' Kevin winced. 'It's not written here...' He grabbed his book again, desperate to find answers within it.

'Trust me, Kev...it will.' Harry spoke as quickly as he could, even using a nickname to speed his speech along. Kevin either didn't notice or didn't mind. 'And afterwards stir it counter-clockwise once more than it tells you to.'

Kevin, worried that he was going to fail, glanced once at Harry's flawless potion before he nodded and obeyed. His murky blue potion soon turned pale and Harry exhaled with relief, feeling he had saved his new friend from the wrath of Snape.

Shifting to check on his own potion, Harry paused and noticed that his desk was a little darker than it should be. Withholding a gasp, he spun around and noticed Snape standing there, looking at him with narrowed eyes and then glance at his potion.

'You have achieved admirable progress for your first lesson, Mr Royce. A rare occurrence in this classroom, I assure you.' Snape said.

Harry almost choked on his own oxygen at the compliment.

'Five points to Slytherin.' He added and walked away to glare at a Gryffindor girl who had just dropped her knife and ingredient onto the floor in her clumsiness.

Kevin and Ellis also looked pleased at the house point gain that Harry felt he had cheated for. Though, he would forever savour the memory of Snape giving him five house points, even if it went to Slytherin and Harry was the only one who would ever realise the truth in the situation, at least for now. He half wanted to be Harry Potter again just to see the look on Snape's face, though it would likely end badly but for that moment it might be worth it.

Returning to his potion, Harry worked in a better mood and clearer head than he had all day. He couldn't explain it and didn't dare to try, but there was something about being around Snape that enabled him to be more in control, even if Harry was still on edge about what the man might do if he became distracted.

With several minutes left in the lesson, Harry placed his potion into a vial and stoppered it, feeling relieved and proud as it was exactly as the book and instructions said it should be. He placed it on Snape's desk and returned to his bench to clean up. To keep himself busy, he also assisted Ellis and Kevin with cleaning up their areas as well.

Determined to leave the classroom yet not wanting to lose the focused environment, Harry waited until the bell finally rung and Snape dismissed them. Harry snatched his bag but halted when he'd made a move to join his friends heading for the direction of the door.

'Mr Royce.' Snape said. 'A moment, if you will.'

'I'll meet you back in the common room.' Kevin whispered as he and Ellis nodded once and left. Harry felt betrayed and nervous as he stood there with his back to Snape as he pondered turning around or making a run for it.

Did Snape know?

'I am quite astounded with the result of your potion, Mr Royce.' Snape said as Harry slowly turned to face him.

With an exhale, Harry dropped his bag onto his seat and stepped closer, nodding his head to show that he was listening. He noticed the narrow-eyed expression on Snape's face and realised the professor wasn't too terribly hard to read when he wasn't glaring hatefully in Harry's direction.

'Oh, you're wondering why I did so well.' Harry winced. 'I...I don't know, sir.' He shrugged and had no answer to give.

'Is there a notable relative in your family with credentials or surpassing skill in the subject?' Snape offered and the lack of anger caused Harry to look over at him again, surprised.

'I...' Harry paused and considered the truth, thinking that Snape would know if he was lying anyway and didn't want to risk it. 'I'm not a pureblood, sir.' He sighed and glanced at the bench, picking at the surface with his nail as he spoke. 'My mother is a muggleborn and my father a pureblood. I don't know if they were good at Potions because they died before I could remember them. My other relatives were muggles, until I was adopted recently.' Harry confessed before realising who he was talking to. He looked up quickly to notice a reaction but saw none.

Maybe Snape wasn't much easier to read after all.

'I read over my textbook, sir...and I was interested in Potions.' Harry said the truth, though it was what he did the year before, not this second time around. 'I don't have an explanation, sir.' He was going to add that he hadn't cheated yet it might register as a lie when he felt as though he had.

'You are not in trouble, Mr Royce.' Snape said. 'On the contrary, I am merely curious towards your obvious skill in which so few first years have demonstrated during their first lesson.'

To Harry, however, it still sounded like a possible accusation, therefore he was determined to make Snape believe him regardless of the actual truth. But how? He'd have to say something smart in relation to Potions and all he could think of was the quizzing session he'd had in his real first lesson.

'I don't think I'm that talented, sir.' Harry said. 'It's like...knowing that a bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat can also be from reading and memory skills rather than Potion-making talents.' He shrugged and hoped that was passable enough. 'You set the instructions and I merely followed them.'

A glimpse of something else in Snape's disguised expression hinted to Harry that he had just made a mistake with his words. He had finally told a noticeable lie and the Professor had clearly spotted it.

'I do not appreciate being lied to, Mr Royce.' Snape approached Harry and stood over him in his usual intimidating manner. 'You informed Mr Antron to add an extra counter-clockwise stir in attempt to assist in the rectification of his potion. Such an instruction, despite your claim, was not listed on the board nor in your textbook.' His eyes narrowed again.

'How would you proceed to explain that, Mr Royce?'

'Uh...' Harry wasn't sure.

He gulped and his mind panicked, not sure what to say or how to act to ward away the suspicion or possible anger. And suddenly, as though being sorted to Slytherin had granted him new capabilities, he thought of something to say that was both risky yet his only shred of hope.

'We all have our secrets, don't we, sir?' Harry said. 'Can I please keep mine?' He even added politeness and anything that might help him. 'I didn't know I was going to do that well, honest, but it was fair and I just tried really hard to...' Harry looked away, not sure if his words were true yet at some point during the lesson he had wanted, just once, for Snape to see that he could brew a potion really well, even if it was as Jaden.

'I was hoping you would see my potential.' He though his words sounded Slytherin-like and got the point across.

'Very well, Mr Royce.' Snape nodded. 'I stated that you are not in trouble and that fact remains true. You will receive top marks for this task. You are dismissed.' He nodded.

Harry could not help it, but hearing from Snape that he had received top marks for a potion cause a grin to form on his face in a way that made him understand Hermione a little more. From any other teacher it was a “well done” compliment. To hear it from Snape had an impact on Harry in a way he didn't understand.

'Thank you, sir.' Harry nodded and retrieved his bag. He walked to the door and paused, turning back to stare at Snape. 'Sir, um...I was wondering...did you, I mean do you really hate Harry Potter?' He dared to ask.

'Though I hardly consider it any of your concern, Mr Royce...' Snape frowned. 'Mr Potter was nothing but a nuisance, spoiled-brat of a Gryffindor, however...even so, I find myself incapable of truly loathing a student even if I may wish one dead.' He said. 'Where does you interest in Mr Potter lie?'

'It's just...he's not here and no one seems to care.' Harry answered. 'I saw his friends earlier, and they seem themselves. I was just curious, that's all.'

'Those who do not appear to care may simply be proficient at concealing their emotions, Mr Royce.' Snape said in a strange tone. 'One must never judge by what they see. There are more successful liars out there than yourself.'

'Yes, sir.' Harry nodded and wondered what Snape had meant by his words. 'Thanks again, sir.' Harry added.

He left the classroom, feeling a bit disorientated by the very short time it took to reach his common room, even after taking a few wrong turns. Snape knew he had been lying, but about what? And what would Snape know about people who care yet would conceal such emotions?

Harry was displeased to notice that he had accumulated more questions that afternoon than he had awoken with that morning. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Snape's POV next chapter!
Snape's Point of View by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
A little shorter than usual, yet given the limited knowledge Snape has at the moment regarding the situation, it was all I could do without resorting to useless rambling.
Thanks to Ash for your input, as I doubt I'd have finished this chapter as easily otherwise. It gave my much grief at one point, hence the late update.

After being held back at the end of his first Potions class, Harry soon stood before the wall that concealed the entrance to the Slytherin common room.

No one was around, so he was able to pause and stare at the stone bricked wall. Living in Gryffindor for a year made it hard to adjust to Slytherin in more ways than he'd realised, such as the amount of time Harry had to think as he walked from the first floor to the seventh.

He was not so lucky this year.

The walk from the Potions classroom to his new common room was a matter of good direction and a corner or two, therefore erasing his chance to think and compose himself before he stepped inside.

With a heavy release of breath, Harry missed his Gryffindor home so much already and it hadn't even been a few days since he had returned to Hogwarts. He closed his eyes for a brief moment, thinking of the Gryffindor common room, before he savoured the memory and whispered the password to the wall.

Stepping into the Slytherin domain, Harry paused as he descended a few steps and looked around - really looked around - and took in the full appearance of the room. Slytherins were scattered about in robes and casual yet Wizarding clothes. Some sat in corners with books or played games, others huddled by the fireplace to talk while nearby friends mucked around and laughed.

They looked normal and Harry was reminded of the Gryffindors he missed so badly.

Spotting Kevin, Harry approached where his friend was sitting comfortably on a sofa with Ellis. Only a few feet away, Draco and Blaise who were playing chess; Harry was smug to see that Draco was clearly losing the game and Blaise almost looked a little bored by his lack of challenge.

As he sat beside Kevin, Harry realised that Slytherin house as a whole hadn't given him much trouble yet, since they thought he was one of them. In fact, he was almost comfortable there now he was learning to adapt.

Maybe Harry had been a little unfair and harsh to assume they were all bad news or so darkly different to the rest of the school?

--

Meanwhile, Severus Snape was in his private quarters with his hands gripped to either side of a stone sink which contained Dumbledore's pensieve.

He stared into the liquid, his dark hair curtaining his face as it always did, and his mind occupied with the contents. The memories had already been placed inside the magical object yet Severus made no move to view them, merely thinking as he continued to ponder on the subject the memories revolved around. He was intrigued, to say the least, about a new student in his house.

A first year named Jaden Royce.

The boy was difficult to figure out but he was different from most of the other first years that had arrived at Hogwarts since Severus started teaching. Other than the ones Severus knew prior to their arrival – such as Harry Potter or Draco Malfoy. No, this child was a complete stranger to him yet there as just something about Jaden which told Severus he should pay closer attention to the boy.

With a sigh, Severus lowered his head and placed his face against the liquid, letting the memories pull him in, showing him each interaction or observation he had involving the first year boy so far, enabling him to re-live them yet with a deeper perspective...

-- 

When the doors of the Great Hall opened and the crowd of first years followed Professor McGonagall towards the staff table where the sorting hat was, Severus did not think there would be anyone interesting within the group.

Still he looked and sought anything familiar. Besides the Weasley girl, only three others caught his attention. A Chinese girl who had the gaze of someone who was more than she appeared to be, a brown-haired girl that wore an expression of nervous delight which reminded him of Lily, and then...one boy. He had brown hair, brown eyes and looked to be quite average, except he was fidgeting and looked nervous. It was not unexpected for a first year preparing to be sorted, yet Severus saw something in the boy's expression when the child glanced directly at him.

They stared at each other for what could only have been seconds, but Severus gained a lot of knowledge from that simple moment until McGonagall's words diverted the boy's attention to her. He saw fear of not belonging, the uncertainty in himself, but above all...a clouding of secrets. There was a lot of magic present in the child and most of it was being directed to protecting himself.

The child gave the impression of being guarded and on edge, yet the deeper aspects of concealment he didn't seem to be aware of. The boy was troubled and felt the need to protect himself, yet did not appear to otherwise give a reason for it.

The sorting ceremony continued while Severus watched, as the boy looked to have a friend who was sorted into Slytherin. He was interested in the Weasley red-haired girl who went to Gryffindor.

'Jaden Royce!' McGonagall called the name Severus now knew belonged to the interesting child.

The name did not belong to an ancient pureblood family and was in no way familiar to Severus from an associate or old classmate. He watched Jaden sit on the stool and was declared a Slytherin within the space of hardly two seconds. Yet the child appeared shocked and overwhelmed by the declaration as he slowly made his way to the cheering table.

Severus watched the boy the entire time, seeing the denial and confliction in his expression. Either he had not expected to be sorted there or had dearly not wanted to be a Slytherin.

Jaden conversed with two of the girls that had caught Severus' attention earlier, who he now knew to be Ellis and Ann. The friend he'd made was there too...Kevin, wasn't it?

Severus turned away from the first years to eat his own meal and talk with nearby professors. Once dinner had concluded and a fifth year prefect stood to direct the first year Slytherins to their common room, Severus excused himself and left the Great Hall through the side door the staff often used.

He hid in the shadows of the dungeons he knew so well and watched the group of first years following the prefect. Apart from the exact wall where the common room was located, Jaden appeared to be the only one who really knew where he was going.

Almost as if he had been to Hogwarts before.

Waiting until the right moment, Severus marched into the common room with his usual dramatic entrance. He pretended not to notice that Jaden was wandering close to the corridor that led to the dormitories, though the boy didn't dare leave while Severus gave his speech of house loyalty to the new Slytherins.

Severus knew Jaden wasn't listening to a single word he was saying, yet let it slide for now as he would later teach the boy the hard way of such disrespect and foolishness.

Moments later, Severus turned to leave and paused to see Jaden rushing off to his dormitory immediately. Yes, that boy was a strange one.

'The child is certainly secretive.' The observing Severus commented as he watched the scenes play out. 'Yet even he does not appear to realise the full extent of it. Of course, then there is the most curious clue...'

He looked around at the last time he had seen the boy, during the Potions lesson.

Severus marched through the door of the Potions classroom and made his way to the front of the room, his eyes scanning over the heads of the Slytherins and Gryffindors, noticing that he had captured their entire attention. With the exception of Mr Royce, though he could tell the boy was aptly listening.

With his usual speech about the exact art of Potion-making, Severus sat behind his own desk and called the roll. As he reached Jaden, Severus paused and looked over at the boy before he said the name.

The reaction received was most unexpected.

The child's head rose so quickly Severus wondered if he'd hurt his neck or if something had startled him other than someone speaking his name. Jaden stared at him and then answered. Severus returned his gaze to the list of names and proceeded with the roll calling, though he was focused on keeping his expression neutral even when his mind was shifting through many possibilities.

It was nothing other than a mere curiosity before, but now he was wondering if this child was a troubled one in which Severus should keep a very close eye on.

With the instructions given to the class, Severus began to pace around the classroom, knowing from experience to monitor the Gryffindors more closely than his own snakes. His reputation as head of Slytherin house and hater of Gryffindors always seemed to reach the first years as a whole by their first Potions lesson. It often put the lions further on edge, which made them additionally hazardous during lessons. That, and they were generally rebellious and trouble-seeking by nature whereas Slytherins were very self-preserving and cautious.

He could feel someone watching him and looked over to see Jaden turning to observe the Weasley girl.

It interested Severus, yet was also something he wished not to notice. A Slytherin skilled in Potions who was interested in a red-haired Gryffindor girl...that sort of thing was not going to end well. Severus sighed and continued to watch the lesson going on, focusing primarily on Jaden. He noticed how the boy appeared to be familiar with the potion and was already practised with preparing ingredients.

He wasn't brilliant and still had a lot to learn, but Jaden worked with the level of familiarity as at least a second or third year would.

Nearly half an hour into the lesson, Severus watched as Jaden stepped back from his cauldron when it was required to sit for a while. The boy seemed proud of something, though still anxious and determined. Jaden checked the cauldrons of those on either side of him and seemed concerned for his friend when Kevin wasn't doing as well. It was that moment in which Severus had approached their bench, checking on their progress and making sure the boy wasn't slacking off, since the others were still working.

He had long ago perfected the ability to stand behind his students without being noticed and that moment was no exception.

Severus moved closer in observation as he saw Jaden advising his friend on how to rectify his potion.

He saw nothing new with the moment, as Jaden hadn't checked any notes or otherwise seemed deep in thought, it was more the expression of someone who had just remembered an outcome relating to the potion before. Perhaps a lesson learned from previous error, or a piece of advice he had been given but ignored until he learned the consequence of such ignorance. It could also be that Jaden had seen someone else brew the potion to its expected standard and picked up pointers from his observations.

And when the five house points were awarded to Slytherin for Jaden's work, the boy was shocked and at unease at first. Then amused, yet Severus could not decipher any further details he hadn't already assessed the first time around.

The boy was a mystery to him still, and Severus did not like not knowing such facts about one of his own.

Plus, Mr Potter was no longer a constant focus point for him, which had occurred so suddenly, yet Severus had been assured by Albus that it was a matter not to be concerned with at this point in time.

As the lesson came to an end, Severus was interested by the small detail of Jaden busying himself with assisting his friends to clean their benches in addition to his own, as though he wanted to remain busy. Yet Severus had seen so few Slytherins even consider such a chore action unless requested or otherwise very close to another. In this case, Jaden did not appear to be close with Ellis or Kevin, merely striving in a budding friendship.

The boy appeared reluctant yet eager to leave the classroom.

Those conflicting aspects caught Severus' further curiosity because the boy clearly wanted to leave yet something was holding him back at the same time. And he knew from the look in the Jaden's brown eyes that it had nothing to do with the class subject itself.

The conversation that proceeded didn't reveal anything new to Severus, until they reached the point where the boy had lied about merely following instructions. The child proved he was sorted correctly and had impressed Severus. He let the matter drop and hadn't wanted to push the boy for more information, knowing that he had to gain the trust of the student first and then was not the time nor place to do so.

As Severus continued to watch, his focus was perked when Mr Potter was mentioned. It was a strange curiosity and he knew it to be somehow important, yet there was a clouding within the boy in which he had not noticed before.

Occlumency.

When Jaden mentioned Potter, his eyes glanced at Severus and at the time there had been nothing to notice but interest. Upon second glance, he saw the clear defensiveness in the boy's gaze. His mind was being guarded with exceptional speed and intensity beyond what a child his age could be capable of.

Not needing nor wishing to see more, Severus pulled himself from the memories and gasped for breath as he leaned away from the pensieve.

--

Quite some time and many circling suspicions later, Severus walked along a corridor and stepped into the staffroom where a larger number of the staff were inside.

Keeping his distance from the useless Defence teacher, Lockhart, Severus moved to stand in a shadowed corner and crossed his arms over his chest.

The first half of the meeting felt like a waste of his time. He tuned out of the updates to the banned items list from Filch, the concerns of the sunlight absorbency for new plants from Sprout, slippery floors around Moaning Myrtle's bathroom that McGonagall really thought they should fix, and Lockhart babbling some nonsense about a Duelling Club.

There were other matters as well but Severus hadn't even heard them because his mind was too occupied with his new realisations about the first year boy in his house.

'Severus?' McGonagall asked when he seemed lost in thought.

The other staff members had left, leaving only Dumbledore and the four Heads of Houses behind.

He glanced over at her to show he was still listening, though Severus didn't say a word, hoping to get this irritating meeting over with so he could return to his brewing and pondering thoughts.

'Is there any news on Harry Potter, Headmaster?' Flitwick asked.

This captured Severus' attention more fully, though he expertly concealed his interest as he moved to sit in a chair a short distance from the rest.

Only those in the room knew Dumbledore had arranged a visit to Saint Mungo's to do an assessment of Harry himself. He had returned and everyone was yet to hear the details of the incident. Since the boy had been declared perfectly healthy, Dumbledore suspected (and Severus had agreed) that other magic may be at work. Possibly even from Voldemort himself, since it was the Dark Lord who had been present when it happened to the boy.

Though, since Dumbledore had not approached himself or McGonagall in regards to Potter, Severus had low hopes that there was much they could do at this point. Sometimes no news can be good news, but it was still frustrating and useless to those who despised to simply sit around and wait for something to happen.

And yet, as Dumbledore spoke, he still managed to surprise Severus and the others who had dimming hopes of a change or fixable situation involving the boy's condition.

'I sensed a magical presence mingled with Harry's.' Dumbledore revealed. 'His state was likely brought on by what occurred between his confrontation with Lord Voldemort, yet also from the intervention of another. The boy cannot wake because his mind is not there.'

He raised a hand to calm the gasps of the others, who clearly thought he meant Harry had gone insane or slipped into a vegetated state.

'Allow me to explain.' Dumbledore smiled sadly. 'Harry has not changed, however his awareness and personal thoughts are being projected to another. I do not think Harry knows this, only that he is apparently not himself...likely to think he is in the body of another.'

'I have heard of this.' Severus realised, yet hadn't meant to speak aloud.

With their entire attention shifted to him, he felt compelled to continue. An encouraging nod from Dumbledore concerned him as it seemed as though the Headmaster’s knowledge on the matter was also limited.

Severus did feel a little smug about knowing something Dumbledore didn't, though he did try to keep the expression from his face.

'With extreme channels of magic, a comatose individual can switch souls with another or otherwise two souls may occupy the same body for an amount of time. It is what the Dark Lord appeared to have been doing.'

'Can it be reversed?' McGonagall asked quietly as she looked deeply troubled by the news.

'Perhaps.' Severus replied. 'However, it is very rare and complicated magic. The Dark Lord would not have had much difficulty due to the absence of a body of his own. However, since Potter is currently lying in a Hospital bed, the castor is either using constant potions to maintain the flow and sharing of magic or he/she is unbelievably powerful. More so than the Dark Lord himself.' He said carelessly, much less concerned about the boy's state when it was something he could understand.

'How long could it last?' Sprout wondered. 'Is there anything that can be done?'

'Why would someone do this?' Flitwick added.

'Research shall be required.' Severus answered. 'My knowledge of this rare piece of magic is limited and requires refreshing.' He did not pretend to have all of the answers, therefore he could not give them a solution or complete understanding of the matter.

'I will update the aurors watching over young Mr Potter.' Dumbledore said. 'I think, for now...we must simply wait for Harry to wake. Are there any long-term consequences, Severus?'

He did not reply right away, since everyone was worrying enough as it was, yet Severus nodded his head and sighed, delaying it the best he could.

'If the caster releases Mr Potter's mind and enables his soul to become whole again in his own body...the boy shall be fine.' Severus avoided their alarmed expressions.

'However...it is possible, though highly unlikely, that if the two individuals are of similar age, weight, magical balance, emotional functionality and other contributing factors...they may switch entirely.' Severus explained.

'The two souls would have bonded and therefore may easily, with equal acceptance, convert to the other body. Additional changes shall be provoked and DNA patterns will follow the soul. Essentially, the two individuals can create an entirely new identity for themselves.'

'Then there is little to be concerned with.' Dumbledore brightened considerably.

The staff turned to stare at him in shock.

'You stated that Harry would have to agree to this? And I doubt the caster is a twelve-year-old boy, therefore that option seems to be quite impossible.'

As the others calmed and agreed, moving on to discuss other matters, Severus could not bring himself to do the same. He did not believe that a twelve-year-old could achieve this ancient form of magic, however Severus had a deeper understanding of the potions that may aide the length of the magic's duration.

Someone more powerful than the Dark Lord had to have done a lot of careful planning and relied solely on flawless timing in order to perform this. Someone who knew Voldemort was possessing Quirrell and that the boy would not be able to be touched by the Dark Lord. That person would have to know Harry Potter inside and out to even attempt to conduct such a complex branch of magic and union of minds in a singular body.

But why?

Who would do to all the trouble for something that couldn't physically harm the child, only render him asleep in actual form while his mind was still active elsewhere? What was the boy seeing and experiencing?

Though, Severus knew, sometimes the greatest harm is not always physical.

 


 

When dinner concluded the following night, Severus made his way to the Slytherin common room as he usually did from time to time.

Stepping inside, the room looked as it always did yet he could feel a sense of burden. He couldn't explain it, though it likely had something to do with his Ligilimency skills, but Severus could always tell when he walked into that room if one of his snakes need his attention.

Eye drifting around the room, he spotted a few students that looked distracted and kept to themselves but it was not entirely abnormal. Sighing, he sat at his usual desk near the center of the room and proceeded to read a book.

Severus kept his senses sharp and forbid his mind to think of Harry Potter.

He discreetly applied an eavesdropping spell he had created himself so he could overhear the whispers around the room even when they would otherwise be too far away or hushed for him to make out the words of.

'What's he doing?' He heard the unnerved and cautious voice of Jaden whisper to one of his friends.

'He does that.'

Severus was surprised when it was Draco Malfoy who replied. He knew Jaden hadn't spoken to the second-year because he'd noticed the frown Jaden often cast the older boy. The first year clearly knew something of the Malfoy family in which brought on such a immediate dislike.

'Why?' Kevin questioned.

Severus didn't get to hear what the students thought and assumed of his infrequent and unscheduled visits to the common room, because a 6th year boy had burst into the room with a loud and disruptive entrance. Severus did not move nor react as he glanced sideways at the teenager who had his fists clenched to his side. Not seeing a wand, he allowed the 6th year to vent before he would intervene.

'You bloody sod!' The boy, who had blonde hair, yelled to a nearby room mate, a boy with dark skin and back hair.

'What are you on about?' The second boy asked.

'You know what!' The angry sixth year growled, his tone raising in seconds. 'You asked Mary out, didn't you? I liked her, you know! You don't deserve her, you're not good enough for someone like her.'

Severus exhaled and rolled his eyes.

More teenager drama, yes this was exactly what he needed, the man thought sarcastically to himself.

He glanced around the room and saw how few Slytherins were too interested in the quarrel taking place, yet Jaden had been only a seat away and looked...stricken. Severus narrowed his eyes at this. He became deeply concerned when the blonde teenager shoved the chess set off the table in front of the darker boy and shouted again.

Jaden had flinched so profoundly that he slid off his seat and landed on the floor, raising his hands to shield himself. Realising his action, he crawled away from the scene and, without his friend noticing as they were distracted, Jaden jumped up and fled to his dormitory.

'Enough!' Severus rose from his chair.

He glared at the two teenagers, who instantly calmed and were anxious as they hadn't realised he was there. Severus lectured and cautioned, then turned and approached the corridor that led to the dormitories. He glanced towards the room in which belonged to the fifth years and remember when that room had been his own.

Sighing, he stood outside the first year boys dormitory and knocked on the door before he pushed it open.

Jaden was lying on his stomach on his bed, his face buried into his pillow, yet he did not appear to be crying. Nor did he notice his professor enter the room.

'Mr Royce?' Severus caught his attention.

The boy jerked his head towards him and stared with shock and embarrassment to see his professor standing there. Quickly shifting into sitting position, Jaden looked away and lowered his head with shame.

'Yes, sir?'

'You were quite eager to leave the scene in the common room.' Severus stated. 'It is not a typical reaction towards a mere quarrel over a girl. Therefore, I wondered upon the cause for you profound desire in which to flee to your dormitory.'

'I...' The boy hesitated and did not raise his gaze from the bed sheets in front of him. 'I don't like shouting, sir.'

He has spoken softly and Severus wondered if the boy had meant to say it aloud at all. It was not an answer he liked, however, and he knew there was more to the response that a simple dislike for noise.

'Usually such a dislike is stemmed from a memory or incident.' Severus said. 'What is it in which came to mind when you heard their shouting, Mr Royce? Who were you really hearing?'

'That's private, sir.'

'Not to me.' Severus stepped closer but paused when the boy instinctively retreated until he almost ran out of space on his bed.

'Mr Royce, I am simply attempting to provide assistance in which aims to rid any negativity in which troubles you.' He explained and lowered his own tone. 'Teenagers frequently quarrel over ridiculous things. I cannot sleep knowing that such normal occurrences have a fearful impact on you, child. Each Slytherin must feel safe and accepted...something you would be aware of had you bothered to listen to me during your first night here.' He frowned with a scolding yet not unkind voice.

'Sorry, sir.' Jaden blushed. 'Do you really lose sleep over something like this?' The boy looked up with his brown eyes searching his professor's.

'Yes.' Severus reluctantly admitted. 'It is my duty in which to watch over the members of my house, Mr Royce. Surely you would not think that such suffering would be ignored?' He raised an eyebrow.

'It always was before.'

Severus didn't comment, though he felt angered towards whoever exerted such ignorance towards the boy in the past. He knew the child hadn't meant to say that aloud so he remained quiet and waited patiently for Jaden to speak again.

'I just...I don't like hearing people telling someone they don't deserve something.' Jaden sighed miserably and looked away again, sounded very uncomfortable and vulnerable. 'I don't like it when someone yells.'

'Who or what comes to mind when you hear such, Mr Royce?'

'My uncle.' The child finally revealed. 'I hear him shouting at me for being a freak....' He swallowed and ducked his head further. 'I...my old family didn't like me very much.'

'I assume you are no longer residing with your previous family?' Severus frowned deeply, despising any adult who treated a related child with such lack of love or concern.

The boy nodded and glanced up again, looking relieved and a little shy.

'I was adopted during the summer.'

'I am pleased to hear that.' Severus nodded. 'However, your burdening memory of your uncle remains to linger. Which is understandable, since it has only been mere months since you have relocated. However, should this continue to become an issue for you, I encourage you to inform me of such. You do not need to suffer, Mr Royce.'

The child fell silent and looked down again. Severus wasn't sure if there was anything else in which needed to be said or done, so he turned to leave. Pausing in the doorway, he glanced back as the boy spoke to him.

'You act so cold and mean to others.' Jaden said. 'But you're not really like that, are you?' He looked over at Severus with confusion and gratitude marking his features.

'I do not tolerate laziness in sugar-high, whining brats, Mr Royce.' Severus frowned. 'However, despite what others may be led to believe, I will not stand by idly while a member of my own house is suffering. Do not forget that.'

The boy only nodded in reply and looked away. Severus glanced around the dormitory and noticed how Jaden's area was the tidiest, almost looking to be less lived-in.

He looked over at the boy once more and noticed a droplet of liquid dripping onto the sheets. Yet the child's shoulders did not shake and he was utterly silent.

'Mr Royce, you remain troubled.' Severus stepped closer and summoned a handkerchief, which he offered to the boy.

Jaden sniffled and quickly wiped his eyes as he avoided looking at his professor the best he could.

'I'm fine.' The child sighed.

'You have a misguided sense of “fine”, Mr Royce.' Severus said bitterly.

'I am fine!' Jaden insisted and stared up at him. 'I just...I don't know, sir. Everything I thought about being in Slytherin, and of you...it was all wrong. And now you're trying to help me but you don't even know who I am.'

'Things are rarely as they appear to be, Mr Royce.' Severus said. 'I do not require prior knowledge of my students in order to perform my duties. You are one of my own and require assistance, which is the only reasoning I require to help you.'

'If I was in Gryffindor...you wouldn't care so much, would you?'

Severus narrowed his eyes at the defiant anger laced in the child's brown eyes and wondered why the boy was so concerned with how he treated the Gryffindors. Though the boy spoke the truth, Severus did not want to lose any trust the child might have towards him as it would only hinder progress.

'Gryffindor house is not my responsibility. That burden rests with Professor McGonagall.' Severus stated.

'They're not so bad.' Harry grumbled. 'Why do you hate them be so much just for being Gryffindors?' He frowned at the injustice.

'Why do you despise shouting, even when it does not indicate towards actual violence or chaos?' Severus reversed the question.

'Bad memories.' Harry realised as he watched Snape nod and then turned to leave the dormitory.

He sighed and looked back at his bedsheets, his mind filled with new perspectives and an understanding of things he previously thought were just stupid and unfair.

'Are you okay, Jaden?'

Harry looked up when his new friend, Kevin, stepped into the room and glanced at him with a worried expression. He gave the other boy a brief smile and did feel a little better, though embarrassed and awkward about his interaction with Snape.

'I'm okay.' Harry nodded. 'It was just loud out there, Kev.'

'Yeah.' Kevin approached Harry's bed. 'My parents don't get along much, so I'd spend a lot of time with my grandfather. I don't like the yelling either.'

Harry looked over at Kevin and thought about the things he had in common, because it was strange how he considered Ron and Hermione to be his best friends and yet he was still so different from them both.

With Kevin it was different, as they understood each other in ways Ron and Hermione were unable to for Harry.

They had stayed up late the previous night, spending it in the common room talking. He hadn't thought much on it until now, but Harry realised just how similar they really were. Kevin had a muggleborn mother and pureblood father just like Harry used to. He also didn't look at Harry oddly or judge him when he put such value on food, since Kevin's family had been poor for several years when he'd been younger and Kevin knew that sometimes they had to eat whenever and whatever they could.

'Kevin?' Harry asked.

'Yeah, Jaden?' His friend sat beside him and gave Harry his full attention.

'I'm glad I sat with you on the train.' Harry smiled. 'I'm glad we became friends.'

'Me too!' Kevin grinned. 'Can you imagine how horrible it would be? Coming to Hogwarts all alone, I mean?'

'Yeah.' Harry sighed, though he had imagined it when he'd boarded the train last year, yet he had been lucky twice to have come across a dorm mate and friend on the train rather than step into the Great Hall knowing no one at all.

Having a friendly and familiar face made a huge difference, and Harry was thankful for Ron, just as he now was for Kevin as well.

He was afraid though, that with Snape being nicer to him and actually caring where no one else had, and having a friend who actually understood him more...what if he didn't want to be Harry Potter again?

As Jaden he was normal.

As Harry Potter he had so much pressure and expectations on his shoulders...being the Boy-Who-Lived caused him to be more different than even he had realise before, with everyone staring at him and whispering behind his back.

Being Jaden was more freeing, further enabling him to be himself and just enjoy being a student learning magic at Hogwarts...yet above all, things were easier as Jaden and much less chaotic.

“Being Harry Potter” was just another phrase he used to describe a stressful and miserable burden, one he really wasn't sure he wanted to reclaim. 

To be continued...
End Notes:
I will have a banner up for the main first year characters soon. Still working on it :P
Please take a moment to share a review.
Friendships by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Ash for beta'ing, of course. :)

September concluded at an alarmingly fast rate for Harry, who felt quite disorientated in his realisation that he had been Jaden Royce for over a full month.

He supposed the time felt to have gone so quickly because he had been a second year student before. Harry knew a little of what to expect in his classes, and lacked the primary difficulties he had to endure the first time. One thing was that no one whispered about him when he passed them in the corridors because Jaden wasn't famous, and Harry knew his way around most of the castle without having to double-check or ask anyone. It was rather freeing, to be who he was for the first time in his life, without overwhelming complications and discomfort.

'Come on, Jaden!' Kevin called to him as he walked ahead of Harry.

Smiling at his newest best friend, Harry quickened his pace and clutched his book-bag to his chest as he ran towards the Great Hall.

It was the first week of October and they were on their way to lunch after spending the morning in Transfiguration and Charms. Their room-mate Adam was with them because Adam had woken them during his clumsy fall from his own bed, entangled in sheets he thought were trying to slaughter him in his sleep. Traise, a boy Harry despised by instinct, and Curtis, who was always distant and focusing on his older brother Mack, had already left the dormitory by the time Adam had toppled towards the floor.

Sitting at the Slytherin table with a relieved sigh, since they weren't late, Harry glanced at Ellis and smiled in response to her wave of greeting.

He'd never been able to imagine how easy it could be to find so many friendly people in Slytherin house, particularly with his own classmates. As a Gryffindor Boy-Who-Lived, Harry had been closer with those he shared a dormitory with, and Hermione. Everyone else in his class , such as Draco Malfoy, had either been enemies or just classmates. As Jaden, now in Slytherin himself, Harry found he got along with a few others as well. Such as a Ravenclaw girl, Belle Eathorne, who he studied with in the library sometimes, and Kody Harvey - a Hufflepuff who often joked about Quidditch with Harry during their History of Magic lessons.

'Are you with us, Jaden?' Kevin moved his hand rapidly in front of Harry's eyes, diverting his attention to his friend.

'Oh, sorry.' Harry blushed and reached for some pancakes in attempt to conceal his embarrassment. 'I was thinking about something.'

'Anything interesting?' Ellis wondered curiously, looking over the open Witch's Weekly magazine she had been judgementally perusing.

'No. Not really.' Harry shrugged. 'What do we have this afternoon?' He wondered about their schedule in hope of changing the topic and to lose some of the focus cast upon him.

'Free time!' Ellis declared with a grin, raising her fork in a manner one would a sword. Her magazine was squashed between her elbow and the wooden surface of the table, long forgotten. 'Though, I have no idea how to spend it. Any ideas?' Her blue eyes trailed around their section of the table, which consisted of Jaden, Kevin, tomboyish Serene, Adam, and the Chinese girl - Ann.

'We could go outside.' Kevin suggested after shovelling some eggs into his mouth as politely as he could. 'It's a really nice day.' He stared upwards at the enchanted ceiling of the Great Hall, which showed a shining sun and white clouds, which filled the blue sky.

'Maybe we could visit Hagrid?' Harry spoke without thinking.

'Who?' Adam frowned.

'Hagrid.' Harry repeated. 'He's the keeper of keys and grounds.' He remembered being told that over a year ago, and was very fond of his large but well-intending friend. 'He's a half-giant.'

'Cool.' Ellis shrugged while Kevin didn't seem to be sure about what he thought of Hagrid.

'No thanks.' Adam frowned dismissively, to which ever-quiet Ann nodded in agreement. 'I'd rather not. Besides, I've seen him from a distance and he doesn't look too friendly.'

'I bet he's really nice once you get to know him.' Ellis sighed. 'But since we don't all agree...are there any other suggestions?'

'Well, we could just go for a walk?' Serene offered. 'I mean, have a look around outside until we find something to occupy our time with. If anything, we'd still get to be outdoors and enjoy this lovely day.'

'That sounds good.' Kevin nodded. 'How about it, Jaden?'

'Sure.' Harry answered. 'I like that idea.'

'Whatever.' Adam sighed. 'Why not?'

'Then it's settled!' Ellis smiled when Ann nodded as well. 'We'll finish up here and then head outside to see what the school grounds have to offer us today.'

'We're not going near the Forbidden Forest, I hope?' Kevin shuddered.

'Of course not.' Adam rolled his eyes. 'What sort of Slytherins would we be if we did that? Let's leave the recklessness to the Gryffindors!'

While most chuckled at the comment, Harry discarded his plate and looked away, trying to appear as though the joke hadn't bothered him at all. He caught Ellis watching him and quickly flashed a brief smile, hoping to evade her suspicion, yet feared he had failed. When she glanced elsewhere and proceeded to urge everyone to hurry up with their meal, Harry was once again reminded of who he was.

It was hard sometimes, to lose himself in being Jaden, and then to pull back and remember he was really Harry Potter.

It was becoming so natural to him to be Jaden. He no longer thought so hard about it, yet every once in a while a solid reminder was thrust his way and he felt guilty. Harry no longer wanted to be himself, because as Jaden he had a relatively normal magical life, something he had never realised how badly he had been starved for.

And now he had a glimpse at it, Harry was not about to let go and succumb to his previous life.

--

On the way outside, which was being led by Serene and laughing Ellis, Harry watched the other students they passed along the way. He saw mingled colours of the other houses, which seemed to step out of their way as they passed, and wondered how Slytherin students had adapted to this sort of treatment. The exact treatment Harry had also performed against the “darker house”, as he had once referred to it as.

He envisioned telling Ron and Hermione about the new things he had learned, not just about Slytherin, but Professor Snape as well. Nothing about either assumptions had been correct. Harry thought Hermione would hear him out and no doubt be fascinated, whereas Ron would probably laugh and not believe him.

'You're off in your own world again.'

'Huh?' Harry glanced towards who had spoken to him.

He realised they were standing outside in the sunshine and the others were looking over at the lake's surface in search of the giant squid. Ellis stood in front of him with a curious expression she frequently aimed his way. Her hands tucked behind her back and a friendly smile on her face, Harry sighed and nodded his head in agreement to her words.

'I don't mean to.' He said. 'I just have a lot on my mind.'

'I know, I can tell.' Ellis nodded. 'I think we all do sometimes, but you more than most, I've noticed.' She didn't question him or raise judgement, instead she merely turned to look at the lake as well, which appeared to be sparkling under the afternoon sunlight.

'Are you sure it's real?' Kevin whined to Serene.

'Of course!' She rolled her eyes. 'There IS a giant squid in the lake, I know it.'

'I've seen it.' Harry jumped in, since it was true and he knew the squid was real, if only because Fred and George had been seen so frequently trying to convince it to come closer.

He stepped within the group of fellow first years and never imagined he would be spending the afternoon with so many at once. He'd had no friends until he came to Hogwarts and then it was only Ron and Hermione. Now he was surrounded with five other Slytherins, and it was most strange yet amusing to him.

Harry felt dread, seeing them laughing and pointing to the lake together, when he realised how easily moments like that were ruined. And true to his paranoia, a shadow cast over himself and Adam, as a voice called over to the group.

'What are you lot doing?' Draco's chuckled as he approached with Crabbe and Goyle on either side of him.

His appearance of considering himself superior was evident as always, though Harry failed to notice the difference in which Draco regarded Slytherins in comparison to how he treated the rest of the houses.

Harry spun around at the blonde's voice, tensed and prepared for the insults or harassment that never came.

Draco seemed genuinely confused about what a group of first years were standing around and laughing at, when the lake's surface appeared so calm and ordinary. It startled Harry, for a brief moment, to almost see Malfoy as just another Slytherin. He clearly wasn't about to be friendly, yet Harry supposed a group of Slytherins close to Malfoy's age were hardly something to mock and ridicule.

Looking around, Harry saw the others were surprised yet unconcerned by the additional company. Though the others were reluctant and shy, Harry noticed the hesitation in Ellis. She eyed Draco Malfoy with distrust and, like Harry, did not make her disagreement too obvious in the desire to avoid any conflict.

Harry found her to be as curiously odd and interesting as she did him.

--

The afternoon passed by casually once Draco and his “bodyguards” had wandered away, as the group chased each other around the grounds, looked for the giant squid some more, tried to keep Serene from climbing any tree they couldn't, and exchanged jokes they'd heard from older students or siblings. Harry felt to be quite popular, as everyone liked his ideas or activities, and always laughed at his jokes, which he thankfully remembered from the Weasleys.

He shuddered at what might have happened had he tried one of Vernon's ideas of a joke.

As the sun began to sink beneath the mountains, Harry and the others hurried into the Great Hall for dinner.

Harry could not be happier.

He'd had days a little like this earlier on with Ron and Hermione, mostly around November the past year, yet the feeling was still alien to him. He was part of a larger group who enjoyed his company because he was funny and helpful, not because he was famous or the only friend they'd made so far at school.

In fact, Harry could only really call Kevin and Ellis his friends, so it was new for him to muck around with others as a result of shared boredom rather than formed friendships.

Sitting in what had become his usual spot since the sorting, Harry served himself roast chicken, and listened to Kevin talking about a camping trip he had gone on once. When it came to explaining a Muggle reference to the others, Harry looked towards the staff table and his smile vanished rather quickly.

Snape was looking right back at him, before the man blinked and turned away.

Feeling exposed and insecure after receiving such a stern gaze, Harry dropped his attention to his uneaten food and exhaled with dread.

A part of him wished he could erase all the memories of ever being Harry Potter.

-- 

The feeling remained with him as he prepared for bed.

Harry lay under his covers and didn't feel tired at all. He wanted his own belongings back, such as his first wand and Hedwig. And of course, the invisibility cloak he'd inherited from his father. His new wand was fine and worked quite perfectly for him, but it wasn't the same either.

More than anything, he missed his two best friends and his owl companion. He missed sneaking out to visit Hagrid and sipping from giant teacups while avoiding eating any of his cooking. Harry missed practising for Quidditch, hearing Wood go on about tactics to take out Slytherin while the twins humoured them with jokes and stunts. He wanted his old bed back so he could look out the window at night and see the starry sky or moonlit grounds. Even his glasses were missed, and of course...his lightning-bolt scar that had once marked his forehead and made him famous.

Who had he been fooling, thinking that being Jaden Royce forever was all fun and filled with new experiences?

Harry didn't like the attention and danger his life had once held, nor the way Snape was always singling him out unfairly at any chance he got, yet he was giving up so much more. His friends, his belongings, his habits, his previous enjoyments and activities, his photo album with pictures of his parents...Harry was giving up an entire life.

As snores filled the darkened room around him, Harry thrust back the covers of his bed and stood in his socks as he faced the closed door.

He experienced an urge to get out - to run and leave this new life behind. He didn't want to start over, even if here he had a family and a whole selection of friends to choose from, as well as Snape being reasonable to him, because Harry was afraid of losing what he did have. He felt terribly selfish to want to remain as Jaden and forget everything that made Harry Potter who he was.

Essentially, giving up his old life would be like hitting the reset button on himself. And that scared Harry, more than anything else, as he never wanted to lose what he had been so lucky to have.

Not sure where he intended to sneak off to, Harry inched towards the door and reached for the handle, halted only by a soft voice that reached his ears from the room he wanted to flee.

'Jaden?' Kevin sat upright in his own bed and yawned. 'Where are you going?'

'Nowhere.' Harry ducked his head and frowned. 'Go back to sleep.'

'No, I'm awake now.' Kevin slid from his own bed and stepped towards his friend. 'Is something wrong? We only went to bed a little while ago, did you have a bad dream or couldn't sleep?'

Harry opened his mouth to lie or tell Kevin to leave him alone, yet a dim light crossed over his friend's face and Harry saw the concern and eagerness to help.

It wasn't Kevin's fault.

Harry didn't want to take his frustrations out on his new friend who was worried about him and wanted to help.

'I can't sleep.' Harry said. 'I'm going to the common room.'

'I'll come with you.' Kevin nodded as he did exactly that. 'We can play chess, or just...I dunno, whatever you want to do.'

-- 

Reaching the Slytherin common room, Harry saw Draco muttering in annoyance over what appeared to be a half-written essay, and several older students were huddled in a corner to exchange notes.

Turning to Kevin, Harry's face turned red with embarrassment, as they were both dressed in their pyjamas. It didn't appear to bother the other boy. Since no one even looked their way, Harry tried to ignore it as he moved to sit in a sofa near the fireplace. Kevin sat across from him, looking a bit tired, and yet was determined to stay awake.

'Magical properties of capwort....' Draco's grumbling reached Harry's ears without him really acknowledging it, as he was too absorbed in his own memories of Ron and Hermione.

Though, having heard the question, he instantly thought of a time not long before they had ventured down the trapdoor. Hermione had been talking about capwort, since she had typically started reading ahead. She had argued if it was a weed or a plant, but he recalled the discussion about it's magical properties, in which he spoke aloud without realising.

'It can cause itchiness, otherwise used to expel bacteria from organs such as the lungs or stomach.' Harry recited from Hermione's words, since she had repeated them several times until they listened to her.

It was a fact he'd likely have forgotten forever if she hadn't been so adamant then and if he didn't miss her so terribly now.

Harry blinked as he remembered where he was, in the Slytherin common room. He looked quickly at Draco to see the blonde had turned around to stare at him. Blushing, as it meant he had spoken his answer aloud, Harry mumbled an apology and looked away.

He stared at his socked feet and sighed. He wished he could tell Hermione she had actually taught him something and he had been listening, or tease Ron about how his red-haired friend probably dozed through her lecture.

Glancing at Kevin, Harry wondered what he was supposed to do now, since he didn't feel tired enough to sleep yet. Kevin had slid sideways on the couch and had lost his battle to remain awake.

Spotting movement, Harry inched into the back of the sofa when Draco gathered his things and shoved them into a bag, before he moved to sit beside Harry. There was still a lot of distance between them, yet Harry remained tense and uncomfortable about the casual action.

'So it's true, then?' Draco eyed him carefully. 'You really do know a lot about Potions?'

'Oh, not really.' Harry heard himself replying without having decided to do so. 'I mean, I've just read ahead, really.' He lied, yet not entirely, since he had taken the first year classes once before and bits of Hermione's extra studying was unwillingly embedded in his brain, it would seem.

'Who are you, again?' Draco frowned.

'Jaden Royce.' Harry answered with greater ease than he had a month earlier.

He waited for Draco to rant about not knowing the pureblood name, since Harry doubted it was one, or comment about how pure he himself was. The blonde did neither. In fact, Draco hardly seemed interested in his name, merely asking it either to be polite or because he was making note for future interactions.

'You're not doing school work.' Draco observed. 'And your friend has passed out.' He snorted in the direction of Kevin. 'So, why are here? I don't really care, of course, but I find it odd that you'd be in the common room at this hour for no apparent reason.'

'I couldn't sleep.' Harry felt it was easier to be honest whenever he could, even if he was talking to his former-enemy, Draco Malfoy.

He regarded the other boy when a silence followed, thinking about how he could not believe this blonde second-year was the same boy who had been such a bullying git the year before.

'I've been accepted onto the Slytherin Quidditch team, did you hear?' Draco gloated when he couldn't think of anything else to say.

'Congratulations.' Harry tried to sound neutral whereas he felt very bitter about the smug announcement.

He missed his first best friends and a lot of other things about being Harry Potter...beside Ron or Hermione, he found himself missing Quidditch the most. He was a first year again, and even Harry knew his luck was not so high that he could be accepted onto the team this early, once again. Besides, he wasn't certain he'd be able to play against Gryffindor in a match and he did not approve of the way the Slytherins played.

Even so, he imagined himself soaring skyward on his broomstick and feeling the wind drift about his hair. Yes, Harry dearly missed Quidditch.

'Are you any good on a broom?' Draco's question brought Harry back to the conversation.

'Yes.' Harry nodded. 'I usually play Seeker.'

'Oh.' Draco said with a light nod. 'Well, that's what I'll be playing as.' He smirked. 'And since Potter's not around to ruin our chances, I reckon we've got the cup in the bag this year.'

'I think I'm getting tired now.' Harry said miserably as he stood to his feet and nudged Kevin, who awoke with a startle.

'Alright.' Draco stood as well. 'And I should thank you, I suppose.' He frowned with dislike. 'For the answer. I realise you didn't mean to say it, yet it saved me the annoying trouble of looking it up and I'd have it put it off another day.'

'Sure.' Harry shrugged, noticing how Draco said he should thank him, but never actually did so. 'Come on, Kev.' He shoved Kevin in the correct direction to their dormitory, rather than towards a solid stone wall his sleepy friend had been approaching.

-- 

Once they were back in their separate beds, Harry simply lay there awake as he stared upwards and listened to Kevin's continued snores nearby in a manner he used to tolerate Ron's snores.

As Harry finally closed his eyes and began to sleep, he'd made the risky decision to approach his former friends the next day. He missed them and couldn't stay away any longer, so Harry felt he could at least try and talk to them or even study with Hermione for a while.

He didn't want to let go of “Harry Potter”, even as he wanted to stay as “Jaden Royce” for as long as possible.


The following morning was Saturday, therefore Harry no classes to hinder him from his plan to speak with Ron or Hermione.

He hurried into his uniform and passed his sleepy room-mates on their way to breakfast. He tried to ignore Kevin, who rushed to keep up with him, yet found he could not. He needed a plan if he wanted to approach his Gryffindor friends alone.

'I have to do something.' Harry told Kevin when they had finished their breakfast. 'I'll meet you back in the common room later, okay?' He nodded and left the Great Hall without waiting for a reply.

He felt a little guilty, since Kevin had been nothing less than a great friend since they'd met on the train, but he simply could not bring the other boy with him.

Having followed Hermione from the Great Hall, Harry wasn't even a little surprised when she headed to the library, even on a sunny Saturday morning.

Stepping inside, he pondered on how he was going to approach her and what he should say. It was hard to not blurt everything out to her, yet he doubted even Hermione would believe such a story about him being Harry and yet someone else entirely.

The silver and green of his attire wouldn't help matters much either, he reckoned.

Her reading interest fell upon antidotes to uncommon conditions, yet Harry paid it little attention as he inhaled and stepped closer. There were two desks between them and she hadn't spotted him yet.

He could still walk away, Harry knew, as he fidgeted and began to doubt his decision.

When he'd walked into the Great Hall for the first time as Jaden Royce, Harry had convinced himself to not even look at his Gryffindor friends because it would be too painful to not be able to join them.

And now, he stood several feet away from Hermione and was unable to talk to her. She may not behave as badly as Ron towards Slytherins simply because they were Slytherins, but he knew she would be highly suspicious if he talked to her in any way other than rudely.

Ducking his head with regret and sadness, Harry backed away and turned to leave the library.

It was no use, to try and speak with her, not for as long as he was Jaden. Harry Potter wouldn't have needed to hesitate, he could sit across from her and would receive a warm greeting in return. Harry didn't consider finding Ron, because if he couldn't even say hello to Hermione, it would be pointless to be near Ron either.

Lost in his thoughts, Harry didn't realise he had bumped into someone until a book dropped at his feet and a girl gasped with surprise.

'Sorry!' Harry said quickly and picked up the Charms book, not realising who he was talking to until he had straightened. 'Oh. Hi, Ginny.' He froze in offering her book back. Her eyes were wide as she slowly accepted the object and moved to pass by him, yet hesitated.

'I don't know your name.' Ginny stated. 'Have we met?'

'I'm Jaden Royce.' Harry answered. 'We're in the same class. I'm sorry for not looking where I was going.' He added and didn't tell her they had met before, back when he'd been Harry Potter.

'That's okay.' Ginny wasn't being overly friendly, even as she appeared to be giving him a chance rather than instantly disliking him because he was in Slytherin and she was a Gryffindor.

'Bye.' Harry said and turned away.

He increased his footsteps as he turned a corner and paused, wondering if he was being haunted by his former life, and was conflicted between who he wanted to be. Harry felt his eyes prickle with tears of frustration and longing. He bowed his head and ran to the dungeons where many considered to be a safe haven for Slytherin, in which he agreed with.

Panting from being out of breath and emotional, Harry leaned his back against a cold wall and waited for his lungs to stop hurting.

Straightening, he brushed his tears away with annoyance and wondered what to do now. His gaze drifting to the closed door of the Potions classroom, Harry remembered something Snape had said to him a month ago, when the teenagers had been shouting in the common room.

Despite what others may be led to believe, I will not stand by idly while a member of my own house is suffering. Do not forget that.”

Never in a million chances would Harry have previously considered going to Snape for advice or as someone to talk to.

At the moment he wasn't thinking too clearly and felt desperate for someone to tell him who he should be. Exhaling, Harry walked along the cold corridor until he reached the office door of his new Head of House.

Raising a hesitant hand, Harry rapt his knuckles against the wood and waited with anxious breath.

'Enter.'

Fighting the desire to flee, which Kevin had saved him from the night before, Harry gulped and stepped into the room. Ignoring the details of the office itself, Harry walked to the desk where his Potions Professor sat, his quill poised over what appeared to be a lengthy essay marked with a lot of red corrections.

'Mr Royce.' Snape acknowledged. 'And what brings you to my office on a day like this?'

'I...well, I don't know.' Harry lost his resolve and sank into the chair across from the desk, his head ducked with defeat. 'I think...well, I don't really have anyone else to turn to.' He realised, since Professor McGonagall was no longer his Head of House, Dumbledore was likely too busy and all-knowing, and he couldn't imagine asking Kevin as his friend wouldn't have experienced as much as adults had.

'Are memories of your uncle plaguing you, child?'

'No, sir.' Harry looked up to see that Snape had abandoned his task of marking essays for the moment and was focused entirely on what he was saying. Blushing from the attention, Harry looked away again. 'If I tell you, will you promise not to tell anyone?' He frowned, wondering why he wanted it to be kept a secret or how he had fathomed the ability to trust Snape, of all people, with his problems.

'You have my word, Mr Royce.'

Harry straightened and tried to look at his professor properly, yet kept glancing at a random space on the desk instead. He wasn't so foolish as to tell the man the whole truth, about once being Harry Potter and the events of the summer, or the mysterious letter from an equally mysterious “J”.

He had to say something, though, and perhaps if he worded it right than he wasn't entirely being false?

'My family...well, the magical ones before I went to live with muggle relatives or was adopted.' Harry began carefully. 'They were in Gryffindor.' He sighed. 'I think a lot of them were, and yet I'm in Slytherin. I knew some people before, who go to Hogwarts now, but they're also in Gryffindor and I don't think they'll want to talk to me anymore.'

'Go on.' Snape encouraged, which gave Harry the bravery to look at his teacher, feeling confused about how it felt to have Professor Snape listening to him with such interest and focus.

'Well, I like being in Slytherin and I have some new friends.' Harry sighed. 'But I miss my other ones. I miss doing the things I used to before. I was a different person then, and now I don't know who I should be. Who I was before wasn't all bad, but I like who I am now...even if I miss the stuff I left behind. I don't know what to do.'

There was a moment of silence in which Harry spent stressing about how Snape was going to react – likely toss him from the room for wasting his time.

When the man finally spoke, Harry looked right at him with surprise.

'Attending Hogwarts for the first time is an adjustment for every child, regardless of if they lead you to believe otherwise. There are prior friends and family members left behind in which may be missed. For centuries Gryffindor and Slytherin houses have quarrelled, yet occasionally friendships may emerge and withstand the complexity of such complications. If your friends are truly so, they shall put their differences aside as easily as you have come to accept that they are Gryffindors.'

Snape paused and then continued; now he was speaking his opinions while Harry listened with attention and eagerness to hear what he had to say.

'No true friend considers the differences in house loyalties.' Snape said. 'However, should they do so, then one can scarcely call them a friend. I cannot tell you which course to take, Mr Royce, for that is you to decide. However, I find that being yourself may prove to be a wise move in your situation. Slytherins are friends for life and one does not move forward when dwelling on surroundings whilst ignoring what is right in front of them. No one can tell you who you are and what you should be. It is something you must formulate for yourself. You must be comfortable with who you are, Mr Royce, whoever you decide that may be.'

'Thank you, sir.' Harry felt relieved and much calmer than he had earlier.

He couldn't believe how his advice and reassurance had come from Snape, nor that it had actually helped him a lot. He was the only one who could decide, though he still wasn't sure who he was yet. Harry or Jaden?

Did it have to be one or the other...why couldn't he be both?

--

As Harry walked to lunch a few hours later, he felt more confident with himself and missed his former life a little less. He still ached for his friends and Quidditch, but Harry wasn't as moody as earlier and knew he had to adjust.

Sitting with Kevin, who forgave him cheerfully for running off earlier, Harry looked over at the Gryffindor table and spotted his friends. Hermione had her face partially concealed by a book, Ron was stuffing his face with food, and the twins sat nearby laughing with their friend Lee, while Percy lectures a pair of third years about something they'd done.

It brought a smile to Harry's face, to see everyone so normal in Gryffindor house, as he thought fondly of his time spent there.

'What would you like to do this afternoon, Jaden?' Kevin asked him.

Harry chewed his sandwich and turned towards his new best friend, who could never replace his other best friends, yet was just as true. He had spent an entire year as Harry Potter in Gryffindor, and he decided not to pick who he wanted to be until he had also gone through an entire year in Slytherin as Jaden Royce.

Surely he could form as many friends and fond memories in one house as he could another? Slytherins weren't so bad, really, if anything they weren't nearly as tough and rude as Gryffindors could be at times.

It would be hard without Quidditch or his Gryffindor friends, but Harry was determined to give Jaden and Slytherin another chance.

'I think we should go see Hagrid.' Harry re-suggested his idea from the previous day, though with more confidence after his talk with Snape and the fact it was just him and Kevin.

'You'll like him, Kev. He's not as scary as he looks, really. Will you come with me, please?'

Kevin bit his lip at the offer and sighed as he nodded in agreement. 'Okay.' He said. 'If you really want to go and see him then I'll go with you. I mean, you're my best friend so I trust you. We'll go see the half-giant when we're finished here, okay?'

'Sure.' Harry nodded with a wide smile.

Snape was right, he did have friends in Slytherin who accepted him as he was. He was fond of Kevin because Harry could tell the other boy was afraid of going to see Hagrid yet would go anyway, just for him.

With time, Harry felt he could miss Ron and Hermione just a little less for as long as Slytherin house offered him friendships, and being Jaden gave him a chance at a semi-normal life.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I am still working on the picture of the main characters of this story. I apologise for the delay, however it is turning out to be a harder task than I envisioned.
Anyway, please take a moment of your time to send me a review. I would love to hear any thoughts etc you have on this story/chapter!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2721