Unexpected by JAWorley
Summary: Some unexpected changes are taking place in Harry's body, which are sure to make for an interesting 6th year. He will have to rely on Ron, a mysterious man, and a snarky Potion's master to get him through the year.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Mean, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fantasy, General, Horror, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Creature!fic, Hospitalization, Incognito!Harry, Injured!Harry, Physical Impairment, Runaway, Spying on Harry! Snape, Werewolf!Harry, Werewolf!Snape, Werewolves
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: Harry is a werewolf
Challenges: Harry is a werewolf
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 29112 Read: 42005 Published: 28 Dec 2011 Updated: 08 Apr 2018
Full Moon by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
There was an unpleasant feeling overtaking Harry as the full moon grew closer. He supposed it was best he not be around anyone, especially those he cared for at the Burrow, because he felt snippy and sarcastic even in his own thoughts to himself. He imagined perhaps that this was what Snape felt like on a daily basis.

Harry had been moving steadily closer to the Weasley's home since he'd left Little Whinging. Late at night when most people were in bed, he took the opportunity to use his new speed on two legs to run through the towns he came to and right back out into the wilderness, when there was wilderness to hide in. He was looking pretty grubby after four days on the run and no clothing to change into, despite his attempts to wash the grime off in cold streams. He didn't know if it was an effect of getting older, or of becoming... well, that type of monster he didn't like to think about, but he was also growing stubble each day now, and had no way of shaving it off, which added to the ‘bum' look he seemed to be going for these days.

Occasionally Harry met the familiar feeling of being watched again, just as he had felt in the weeks since his transformation in Little Whinging, but he could not discern who it was that was watching him, or where they were. Sometimes it was while he was in the woods, and sometimes while he snuck through cities and towns. Most times he was able to lose whomever it was that was spying on him from the shadows, but the evening he stood on the edge of Ottery St. Catchpole, where the Weasley's lived, the evening of the first full moon, he couldn't shake his pursuer.

All of Harry's senses were feeling heightened like the night he had nearly been speared with the arrow while fleeing the Dursleys. The breeze set his skin to tingling, and the hair on his arms on end. Every smell was sharper, and every movement of the grass on the hilltop he stood upon caught his eye. He supposed he might not have minded these new sensations as much if they weren't attached to the mindless killing that would probably follow as the sky grew dimmer and the moon began to come up over the horizon.

Harry's hands began to shake and he wasn't sure if it was fear of what he might do... what he might do if he got close enough to the Burrow in his transformed state, or if it was because he knew the moon would make it's appearance any minute now.

In the distance there was a howl, and Harry's head snapped in that direction. He didn't know how he knew that it wasn't a normal wolf's howl, but he did. It sounded, familiar, and he knew then there was another like him in the area. And then his skin tingled again and he gripped his hands into fists as he felt anger suddenly course through him. The last thing he saw before the hair began to grow abnormally fast all over his body was the full moon come up over the tree line, and then he ceased to think as Harry Potter, and became... something else entirely new to him.

Blood coursing through him, Harry felt a hunger like he had never known before, and he an anger that he had not yet satiated that hunger. Doing what felt natural, he dropped to all fours and sprinted off towards town, hoping to catch someone unawares so that he could have a decent meal this night.

Harry James Potter, werewolf, crouched low in some tall grass outside a farm house, and waited patiently, watching, sniffing the air for his prey. He knew there was someone inside the house, someone young and tasty. He could tell by the beating of the young heart he heard inside, how it beat a fast pace. Just as he was considering going right up to the back door and breaking the door handle clean off to get to his meal, an old beat up truck came down the drive with head lights blaring. Eyes narrowed, he watched as two men with shot guns emerged and hurried into the house. Harry heard the distinct click of a lock, and let out a low, dangerous growl.

Thwarted, he ran in the direction of the one house he was sure he could get into. The one house where he knew there were many bodies to devour. It was on the other side of town, just beyond the outskirts, but he was there in what seemed like a blur of branches, grass, and very little time.

Again Harry crouched in the tall grasses surrounding the house, closer this time, determined not to be denied his hunger, his right to life. Ears listening intently, Harry was able to discern the voices of six people inside, several of them laughing over something Harry did not care to understand. He would have them all.

Just as Harry leapt out towards the house from the field he spied from, he was tackled from the side, and a fierce battle ensued whereupon Harry realized he was facing down another werewolf. Not a wolf from another kind, but one like him. He strained to remember something that the human Harry had read, but his mind was clouded and he was unable. An uncertain growl left his throat, and the other wolf issued a challenge in return. Even more surprising, was that a voice followed the other wolf's growl.

"Don't do it kid."

Harry took a startled step back, still crouching on all fours, ready to pounce. The other wolf could talk? He let out another growl, and sensing the question in it, the wolf repeated himself, "Don't."

Fear swept through him then. Why could the other one talk? Why was it talking to him? Was it going to take his meal from him? No! He lunged then towards the house again, but found himself pinned firmly to the ground as the other one tackled him again, kneeling on his chest. Harry tried to bite at him in the tall grass, but was given a swift nip on the wrist as a warning, and he looked away in submission.

"Don't let it control you," the voice said in a half growl. "Choose to control it instead."

Harry's eyes flickered up to the one still pinning him down, and then away again.

"I'll let you up, if you keep listening."

When Harry didn't say anything or look up again, the other werewolf got off of him, and sat on his haunches. They were completely obscured by the grass now and the house with its shining lights and laughing meals were no longer visible.

"Use your anger at me right now to clear your mind. Use it to focus," the taller wolf said, and Harry's eyes flashed yellow and angry as he looked up at him again.

"That's it. Use it. Clear the instinct away. Steal control of your body back."

Harry gave a growl, trying to understand how to do what he was being told, trying to morph back into whatever he had been before, though he could not remember what it felt like to be human.

"You won't be able to change back when the moon shines on your skin, but you can talk. You can take your mind back."

Closing his eyes so tight that they hurt, Harry shook as he clenched his fists together and his long yellow nails dug into his palms. The pain was the thing that seemed to be the missing link to his reality however, and his mind suddenly cleared, as though clouds and cobwebs had been hanging around obscuring the truth from him.

Throat feeling raw and unused to words, he rasped, "You- you did this to me."

The other wolf shook his head. "No. But I know who did, and you're lucky you ran."

"The arrow?"

"Something else you'll have to worry about, but not now."

Harry's body gave a shudder again and he sucked in a deep breath, suddenly feeling weak as his body became fully human again, along with the wolf in front of him.

"The cloud hides the moon for now," the man said. He was probably in his mid twenties, but Harry couldn't be sure. "When it begins to shine again it'll l take you with it, and you'll have to learn to take control of your body and mind again."

"Why- why- are you- telling me?" He felt cold and couldn't keep himself from shivering, from having to continue to force the words out.

"I know the one who bit you," he repeated. "That's all you need to know for now."

"Did... did I bite anyone?"

"No. But you were going to. I assume you know them?" The man used his arm to push enough five foot high grass and weeds aside to reveal the Burrow, and Harry let his head fall to the ground hard.

"Friends," he croaked, wishing he could have some water.

"Most first time Weres migrate towards people they consider family, then kill them at their first full moon."

Feeling sick suddenly, Harry rolled over and threw up what little he'd had to eat earlier that day, thankful that no fingers or bones came up with it.

"Who are you?" Harry asked when he had wiped his mouth and had managed to stop shaking a few minutes later.

"Ethan. And you're to tell no one I've helped you."

"Why?"

"That falls into the category of questions you're not allowed to ask," he said, still crouched at Harry's feet, eyes darting here and there as his ears caught sounds on the wind.

Harry was going to ask why then, but a light suddenly fell on his face, and back arching in pain, he let out a howl as he was once again transformed into his monstrous body. Ethan pounced on top of him again and held him down, despite Harry's growls and furious swipes with claws that ripped at Ethan's clothing and skin. After long, tense minutes of coaching, Harry had some control of his mind again, though not as much as he'd had before. The hunger had returned in full force, and he was determined to eat something.

Their night continued on in this way into the wee hours of the morning when the sun began to rise. The moonlight would occasionally fade out behind a cloud and Harry would return to himself, shaking and weakened, only to have his mind ripped from him once more when the moon returned. Each time Ethan held him down, forcing him into submission.

When the moon had finally disappeared for good, Ethan lifted Harry from under the armpit and said, "The first night is the worst. It will be better tomorrow."

Harry looked up at him doubtfully, feeling as though his unsteady legs wouldn't hold him up for much longer. Not fearing the moon's return for the time being, though exhausted, Harry was finally able to take in Ethan's appearance. He was a good five foot eight, with short black hair, and a muscular build. His face was nothing but serious, and Harry wondered if he'd ever smiled a day in his life, though he himself didn't feel much like smiling these days.

Ethan helped him to the edge of the field where the house was once again visible, and then began to move away.

"Wait!" Harry said frantically.

Ethan turned and gave Harry a serious look. "If you're smart you won't even consider telling them what you are." He turned again and Harry panicked again.

"How will I find you?"

Without turning this time, Ethan said, "I'll find you," and then was gone.

Feeling dizzy and nauseous on top of his exhaustion, Harry staggered towards the house, more glad than he'd ever been in his life for the simple fact that he knew every one of the Weasleys was safe this morning, at least until that night. Harry hoped desperately that Ethan would be back, but he couldn't be sure. He'd have to tell Ron. Have to get Ron to help tie him, chain him in the shed or something.

Harry stopped short then of the back door. If he just disappeared for the night, then the Weasley's would wonder, wouldn't they? Even with Ron running diversion, he knew Mrs. Weasley would be worried and probably call half the Order out looking for him.

Thinking that this wouldn't work, that Ethan didn't know what Harry was up against in the magical world... that Ethan himself might be a werewolf of the Muggle variety himself, and of no knowledge of the magical world, Harry turned instead and trudged to the side of the house, where he fell, exhausted under Ron's fourth story bedroom window, and waited for someone other than any of the elder Weasley's to find him.

* * *

"Harry! Harry, wake up!"

Harry roused at the rough shaking he was being subjected to, and looked up through too bright sunlight and blurry eyes to see a freckled face.

"Ron," he croaked.

"What the bloody hell happened to you?"

Harry lifted a weak hand to scratch at the back of his neck, imagining that he must look a right mess. He knew he was covered in dirt, and probably blood. He brought his hand back down then and noted that while healed, his wrist was covered in dried blood where Ethan had nipped him several times last night during his transformations.

"You gotta get me outta here," Harry croaked then. "Don't tell anybody I'm here."

"But where-"

"The shed," Harry said, and without hesitation, Ron lifted Harry, putting one of his arms around Harry's back and one of Harry's arms around his shoulders. Ron supported nearly all of Harry's weight as he hurried him off to the far shed on the edge of the property. There were several sheds and an old decrepit barn on the acres of Weasley Property, and thankfully, Ron had taken Harry to the one building Mr. Weasley did not use for tinkering with Muggle trinkets. In fact, it looked as though none of the Weasley's had been in this building for years.

As careful as he could, Ron deposited Harry on the dirt floor and knelt in front of him.

"Harry, what happened? Where'd you come from? You're covered in blood mate." Ron really seemed at a loss for what to do.

Weakly Harry let his head fall back against the soft rotting wood that was the wall. "Werewolf," was all he managed to say because his throat was raw and dry.

"Werewolf... we heard howling last night and dad warded the house."

"Me," Harry said, watching his friend's eyes cautiously. Ron was probably the one person on earth he could count on to have his back no matter what. This was the only thing in his life at this point he was sure of. The only solid thread of an old fairy tail life he had to hold on to.

"You?" Ron's brows were knitted together, and realization dawning on him he sat back slowly on his knees and feet. "You were- blimy Harry. It was you?" His voice was barely more than a whisper now as well.

Harry nodded, and then asked for water. Ron disappeared for a few minutes and then came back with water from the stream that ran through the north end of the property in a quickly scrubbed glass jar. Harry drank greedily from it, and then rested his head against the wall again.

"Please don't tell," Harry said, not caring if it sounded like he were begging. "Please Ron."

"I won't."

"This was the only place I could think to come. I don't even know how I got bit, but I did last month. And a week ago I accidentally transformed right there in the kitchen because I got angry and I had to run." He paused to drink more water, trying to sooth his throat again before continuing.

"Someone's after me Ron. I don't know who, but they shot an arrow at me the night I ran. And-" he paused, considering Ethan's warning not to tell anyone who had helped him.

"I almost attacked some people last night," Harry said grimly. "And another werewolf... he stopped me. Said he knew who was after me, and who bit me. He wouldn't tell me much, but he helped me last night. Helped me each time I turned back."

"Turned- turned back?"

"There's different kinds of lycans," Harry said. "I read about them. Read about me. Guess this kind can change back... must be... I don't..." He fell silent then, unsure what he was trying to say, and after long moments, looked into Ron's eyes again.

"Please don't tell anyone while I'm sleeping. I can't stay awake any longer."

"I won't mate, I won't."

"There's two more nights of the full moon Ron. You have to find a way to chain me out here. Gag me or something too, or else your family will hear me again. I don't have any control when the moon hits me... not unless Ethan helps."

"Ethan?"

Harry looked Ron hard in the eyes then and said, "You can't tell anyone that either. The one that helped me. I don't even know who he is. Just assume he's as dangerous as I am."

"You're not dangerous Harry." Harry's eyes were hard then and Ron nodded. "Right. Forgot."

Head throbbing from a need to go to sleep, and feeling much as he did the morning after he was first bitten, Harry let himself fall sideways to lay on the hard ground, and then he was asleep, unable to worry any longer about what his friend would do or what would happen when the night came again. His dreams were no place to hide from his worries though, as he drifted off into vivid memories of the things he'd almost done, of Ethan trying to help him keep control of his mind as it slowly slipped through his fingers like sand.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Know this was all only one night, but it had to happen.

Next chapter: More Ron, more Ethan, and we get to learn more about werewolves... from a werewolf's point of view.

Comments? Ideas? Only had two whole comments on the last chapter....


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2728