A Different Type Of War by HPSSFan
Summary: "You need to tell her it will be okay. Lie to her, like I lied to my wife"
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Parental Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Albus Severus, Ginny, James Sirius, McGonagall, Molly, Original Character, Other, Shacklebolt, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry), 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Character Death, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 5062 Read: 15998 Published: 05 Feb 2012 Updated: 07 Feb 2012
The Full Story And The Real Prophecy by HPSSFan

“Two years later, I heard the prophecy.”

“So my real father is the reason that my mother is dead?”

“You heave yet to let me finish my story. What is the prophecy? I know that Dumbledore told you about it after the department of mysteries scandal.”

“It does not matter what he told me.”

“What did it say, Goddamnit!?” Snape bellowed, grasping Ginny harder and causing her to scream.

“whoa…..okay…..okay.” Harry said, motioning Snape to hold on. “The one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches. Born to parents who have thrice defied him. Born as the seventh month ends. The Dark Lord shall mark him as his equal, but he will have a power that the dark lord knows not. And either must die at the hands of the other, for neither can live while the other survives.” Harry said slowly.

“So he lied to you?”

“He would never lie to me.”

“Oh yes he would. You do not know the whole story. You only know what you have been told. That was not the actual prophecy. I was forced to change the prophecy. I know that Dumbledore told you that there could have been two children of the prophecy; however, prophecies do not work like that. They are meant for one person, and one person only. He lied to you.” Snape took a breath before continuing in a mockingly tone of voice. ‘The one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches. Born to parents who serve two opposing masters, born as the seventh month ends. The dark lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have a power that the dark lord knows not. And either must die at the hands of the other, for neither can live while the other survives.’ That is the real prophecy.”

“If that was the real prophecy, then why were you forced to change it?”

“Were you not listening? ‘Born to parents who serve two opposing masters’ I served Voldemort and Lily served Dumbledore. That one fact cemented that you were the boy of the prophecy. It put myself and Lily into danger. I knew that there was another family who had defied Voldemort three times. What I didn’t know is that Lily had also defied Voldemort three times. Did I know that he was going to interpret the “prophecy” that way? No. I panicked and sought out Dumbledore to protect them. However, as you know, they placed their trust in the wrong person. Peter Pettigrew came to Voldemort and myself when he became the Potter’s secret keeper.”

“When Voldemort had decided the night of his attack, I left to warn Lily. I was too late though. The door to the house was blown to bits. I could hear you crying, so I ran upstairs. Your father was dead on the stairs.” Snape finished with a smirk on his face

“Were you happy about seeing my father dead?” Harry questioned scornfully.

“Of course. I was fucking elated to see James Potter dead. The man made my life a living hell all the time. I only had wished that I had done the bastard in myself. Anyways, I ran into this very room to find my love laying in the middle of the room. Everyone tells you that she died instantly, but she never did. Voldemort had tortured her to death because she was what he hated most. He believed that muggleborns deserve a slow and painful death. You were sitting in your crib, crying and staring at your mother. I knelt beside her and put her in my arms. I thought she was dead, but she began to speak to me. I stood up because I was going to take her to get help. I told her that I was sorry for everything that I had put her through. Of course, she understood that I was trying to protect her. She told me that the best years of her life had been with me beside her.”

“I was leaving the house, when she had asked me if everything would be okay. I knew that if I did not get help soon, she was going to die. So I lied to her. I told her that everything would be okay. I was forced to lie to the one woman that I had ever loved. I knew that there was no way that I was going to find help. I knew that she was going to die, but I still lied to her. She told me that she loved me and I told her the same thing. She died in my arms seconds later. I put her back in this room and left. From there on, I was forced to watch you grow up from a distance. You may not know it, but I watched you all the time. I once attempted to talk Dumbledore into letting me get guardianship of you. He would not allow it though. He said that my position as a spy was much more important that your happiness.”

“If you watched me, then you know what My Aunt and Uncle did to me. Why didn’t you just take me? You could have taken me without asking Dumbledore.”

“I could do no such thing.”

“You could have saved me but no, you don’t have the balls to defy Dumbledore. Snape you should go to hell for everything that you have done to Lily and me.”

Harry should have seen the spell coming.

“Crucio!” Snape yelled and Harry collapsed to the floor in a fit of spasms.

The spell was quickly removed from Harry and Snape continued to talk. “I did everything to protect your mother.”

“You knew that you were my father….” Harry said breathlessly, still reeling from the effects of the cruciatus curse. “When you found out, was there any sort of love that filled your heart?”

“What is this bullshit?” Snape questioned.

“Did you love me?”

Snape stayed silent for a moment, looking for an answer.

“No. I did not love you. You were an object of James Potter’s love. I still tested you though. I pushed you to the limit. Why do you think I treated you the way I did during class?”

“If you don’t love me, then why did you watch me all those years?”

“You were Lily’s son. What was I suppose to do?” Snape questioned. “That is not the point though. Now we are here, sitting in the same room where everything started and ended. You are the reason that she is dead and now you must pay. I have your wife hostage. You know that I am going to kill her. She’s so pretty, much like Lily. You need to reassure her that everything will be okay.”

“I am not going to do that.” Harry said defiantly.

“You are going to tell her, or I will take away your kids as well. Lie to her. Tell her it will be okay. Lie to her like I lied to my wife.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2753