Damaged by AllisonMadness
Summary: Harry is severely injured and Snape is in for a life changing event when he comes to retrieve Harry at the beginning of his first year at Hogwarts. This is a Snape adopts Harry story.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, McGonagall, Neville, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Physical Impairment, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 75345 Read: 146330 Published: 11 Feb 2012 Updated: 14 Feb 2015
Chapter 12 by AllisonMadness

Friday passed peacefully, a fact that Severus was endlessly grateful for. There had been no disasters, no calls to Dumbledore's office. Lucius had not contacted him. Severus sat at his desk late that night, finishing up the grading for the week so that he would have the weekend free to spend with Harry and Draco. The little ball of light that monitored Harry's sleep and warned of nightmares and magical storms glowed a soft blue.

His trip to Wizarding Family Services had been a success and the paperwork for Draco now sat in his safe. It had taken only seven threats and three bribes to get them to finalize the paperwork on Thursday while Severus watched, glaring at anyone who even dared to suggest that it couldn't be done immediately. Severus idly wondered what extremes Dumbledore had gone to, or had felt necessary, to have the guardianship papers for Harry finished in one evening. Moving mountains might have been easier.

A small chime alerted him that someone was at the door to his private quarters. Since none of the students, with the exception of Harry and Draco, knew where his private quarters were, it stood to reason that it was a teacher on the other side.

"Filius," Severus said as he opened the door to the diminutive teacher and waved him inside. "Would you like some tea?"

"Thank you, but no," Flitwick answered.

"What brings you to my quarters at this time of night?" Severus asked, following Flitwick into the sitting room.

"I understand your ward has been practicing some Charms," Flitwick said as he sat down. Severus cast a silencing charm on the door to the boy's bedroom so that if Draco awoke, he wouldn't hear anything.

"Yes," Severus said, settling in his chair. "Draco taught Evan to do Wingardium Leviosa. How did you know?"

"You know how the portraits gossip, Severus," Flitwick said, a slight smile on his face.

Severus's eyes went to the small portrait of Salazar Slytherin that hung beside the fireplace. "I think I will have to find a new home for all my portraits if I cannot count on them to keep what they see in these rooms to themselves."

Flitwick nodded. "A wise precaution, especially now."

Severus looked suspiciously at Flitwick. "What do you know, Filius?"

Fliwick looked directly at him. "I know who he is, although I may be the only one other than Minerva. I don't think that any of the other professors have really paid attention."

"The headmaster has not told anyone?" Severus would not be surprised if Dumbledore had started whispering to certain people about it.

"Not that I'm aware of," Flitwick replied. "Although you would have to be nearly blind not to know who that boy's father was. Even with the scars, he looks like James."

Severus sighed with irritation. "I had hoped to keep it a secret, at least until he was healthier."

Flitwick waved his hand dismissively. "None of the students know who he is, and any of the professors who suspect won't say anything. You can trust us, Severus."

"I suppose I'm going to have no choice, but if word of this gets out he will be in grave danger," Severus said seriously.

"I know," Flitwick said. After a moment, he continued, "I came to offer to my help in teaching the boy beginning Charms. It will be good for him to know some of the basics. I understand he has a fair amount of control on his power."

Severus nodded. "For the most part. If he's upset or angry, he tends to let loose with wild magic. I don't think he realizes that he's doing it."

"I can teach him how to start controlling that, if you'll allow it." Filius hopped off the chair. "Think about it and let me know," he said as he left.

Severus gazed at the flames in the fireplace. His list of allies was growing and he couldn't help being surprised by it all.

Half an hour later, the portrait of Salazar Slytherin had a new home in an abandoned classroom. Severus had closed the door to the classroom as Salazar shouted out insults that would have shamed the most hardened Death Eater. Severus thought that it served Salazar right.

~HPSSHPSS~

Harry fumbled his way out of bed and into the shower. It was finally Saturday and he was going to stand under the hot water for as long as he wanted. It was a luxury that only a week ago had been unimaginable. Now every day he had a hot shower, and clean clothes that fit, and he had to keep reminding himself that this was not a dream, it was truly happening. Harry was still afraid of doing something wrong, of being bad and sent back to the Dursleys', but so far his professor had not abandoned him. He wasn't about to take it for granted, though.

Harry thought that maybe he needed to ask Professor Snape if he could tell Draco who he really was. With Draco now living in Harry's room, Harry could see how he might become Evan Snape permanently. While he desperately wanted his professor and Draco to become his real family, Professor Snape had said nothing about it being forever. On top of that, he'd only just discovered that his mum and dad hadn't been terrible people, as his uncle had always told him, and maybe he needed to remain Harry Potter for now.

Harry leaned his head against the wall of the shower. He was terribly confused about the whole situation and didn't seem to be able to think his way around it. He wanted to talk to someone, but didn't know who. Maybe Professor McGonagall would help him with this. She had been nice to him last night and had told him some stories about his parents, so maybe she would understand Harry's need for a family combined with the fear of losing his parents and his identity.

He turned around and let the hot water beat on his face, hoping that that would help clear his head. After a minute, he decided it wasn't going to make a difference, so he reached to his left, where the shampoo sat on a ledge, finishing the shower with an aggravated huff.

~HPSSHPSS~

Saturdays were a blessing, Severus decided as he sat in his chair, sipping tea. Harry was having his promised shower and had been in there for over thirty minutes. Draco was still asleep, sprawled across his bed, trying to take up as much room as possible.

At breakfast, Severus planned to ask Dumbledore to move the back wall out a few feet in order to give Draco a little more space. Right now the boy's wardrobe was stuffed in a back corner and he had no desk of his own. Severus couldn't help but wish that he'd put Draco in with Harry from the beginning instead of now having to work around the paths that Harry was familiar with.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Harry come out of the shower, a towel wrapped around him. He walked back to the bed to find the clothes that Dotty had laid out, running his hands over the trousers and shirt before finding his pants and socks. Harry was learning the basic things more quickly than Severus had hoped and Severus was glad to see the beginnings of autonomy. He knew that Harry would soon be insisting on it all of the time. Severus looked away to give the boy a bit of privacy, even though Harry wouldn't realize that Severus was watching in the first place.

A few minutes later Harry emerged from the bedroom with a pensive look on his face. Severus helped him onto the sofa. "What is it, Evan?" he asked.

"Sir," Harry began. "I need…" He stopped, worry clouding his face.

Severus sat down next to him. "What is it that you need?"

"I would like…" Harry clenched his eyes closed and started again. "Can…can we tell Draco? About me?"

Severus ran a hand over Harry's forehead, fingers trying to smooth away the tenseness. "I had planned on it. Now that I have the guardianship papers for Draco, it should be safe enough." Harry's face relaxed.

"Is there a particular reason for asking this now?" Severus asked.

Harry nodded. "He's living here now," he said as if it should explain everything.

"And?" Severus prompted.

Harry brought his hands up to his hair and scrubbed his fingers through the still damp strands. "I want a…" he stopped, his breath hitching as if he had been running. "I want a…" He sucked in a deep breath. "Family." He blurted the word out, and then flinched away from Severus, burying his face in the sofa arm.

Severus was happy that Harry could not see his mouth hanging open. He wasn't so lucky with Draco, who was standing in the doorway, still in his pyjamas, with the same awestruck look on his face.

"Family," Draco said softly, then grinned.

~HPSSHPSS~

He'd done it. He'd told Professor Snape that he wanted a family. Harry ducked his head, pressing his forehead into the sofa, waiting for his professor to laugh, to tell him that it was too soon. That he wasn't family, would never be family, only an obligation and a burden. Tears formed, but he pressed his hands to his eyes to stop them from falling. He felt Professor Snape's fingers gather him up from the sofa arm and gently pull his hands away from his eyes.

"You want me and Draco to be your family?" Professor Snape's voice was close to Harry's ear and Harry resisted the urge to lean against him, to feel the comfortable familiarity of the wool robes. He started to tremble.

"Ye…yes," Harry forced out. He wanted to jump up and run away, he wanted to start babbling about how he would understand that Professor Snape and Draco could not possibly want him as family. He was just a broken little boy and once they had fixed him as much as possible, they wouldn't want him anymore. Harry understood that, but it didn't stop the desperate, painful longing. He sat as still as he could, waiting, fighting the urge to cry.

"Evan," Draco's voice was suddenly speaking on Harry's other side. The tears that had threatened now started to fall.

"Draco," Harry croaked. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean…"

"Don't," Draco said. "Don't apologize." A hand touched Harry's arm. "I want that too," Draco said.

"You…you do?" Harry could not believe his ears. It couldn't be true. Draco couldn't want him to be part of his family.

"Yes, I do," Draco said calmly. "How could I not?"

"But, but, you don't know…" Harry stopped in a sudden panic, but then felt Professor Snape's hand on his arm.

"Tell him," Professor Snape said. "It will be fine."

Harry grasped Draco's hand. "My name isn't Evan Snape," he said, suddenly feeling lightheaded with an overwhelming urge to vomit.

Draco's hand tightened on his and Harry didn't know how he was going to find the courage for this. Surely, Draco would hate him when he found out. He pressed a hand to his stomach to try and keep it in place.

"Who are you?" Draco asked, his voice calm.

"Harry," Harry said. "Harry Potter."

~HPSSHPSS~

Draco's understanding of the world was torn apart with two words. He turned desperate eyes to Uncle Sev, begging him silently to tell the truth.

Uncle Sev nodded. "It's true," he said simply.

"Why," Draco gasped out. "Why would you hide it?"

Uncle Sev waved a hand, indicating Evan…Harry, who was pressed so firmly into the corner of the sofa that he seemed to be attempting to become a part of it. "If the Wizarding world knew about…this, do you think he would have survived? Even for a month?" Uncle Sev made a harsh noise in the back of this throat. "Every Dark Lord supporter in the area, including your father would have been after him."

Draco stared wide-eyed at Ev…Harry who had his head bowed, tears dripping silently from his chin. He couldn't believe that all the stories he'd heard about the great Harry Potter were actually about the terrified boy now in front of him. Where was the confident child that Mother had spoken of, the spoiled brat that Uncle Sev had warned Draco was coming to Hogwarts to throw his celebrity in everyone's faces? Instead, Uncle Sev was hiding Harry Potter from the world. Uncle Sev wanted to be part of Harry's family. How was this possible?

"Ha…Harry," Draco said and Harry cringed slightly.

"I'm so sorry," Harry whispered. "I know you'll hate me now."

Draco jerked. "What! Why would you think that?" he exclaimed.

Harry looked surprised. "Because I lied to you," he said simply. "No one likes a liar."

Draco leaned over and put his arms around Harry. "I will never hate you," he promised fervently. "We are family."

Harry laid his forehead on Draco's shoulder and cried, sobs shaking his shoulders.

~HPSSHPSS~

Severus grasped Harry's shoulder, turning him around and said, "I would be honored to be a part of your family, Harry."

Harry cried harder, climbing to his knees and throwing his arms around Severus's neck. "Thank you, thank you," he whimpered as Severus stroked his fingers through Harry's now dry hair. Draco patted Harry's back in a futile attempt to settle him down.

"Now," Severus said once Harry was calm and sitting back on the sofa, a handkerchief pressed into his hands. "Since we're family, you can't keep calling me Professor Snape," Severus said, and smiled when Harry's mouth fell open.

"I…I..." Harry looked completely astonished. "You want me to call you something else?"

"Yes," Severus said, trying to look serious, but the smile was breaking through and Draco's answering smile was incandescent.

"What can I call you?" Harry asked.

Severus thought for a minute. "For now, why don't you call me Uncle Sev like Draco does." A shy smile slowly transformed Harry's face and lit his eyes. "Uncle Sev," he said, his voice filled with awe. "Uncle Sev," he repeated.

"Only in private, remember," Severus said with a look at Draco. "In public I must still be Professor Snape or Sir."

Harry nodded, but the happiness radiating off him was not dimmed. "Of course."

"And Draco must remember to call you Evan in public, we do not wish your identity to get out, yet."

Draco nodded emphatically. "I understand," he said.

"Good," Severus replied. "However, if you find yourself having trouble remembering to do that, I can put a bit of a spell on you so that you can't slip up accidentally."

Draco looked at Severus, a serious expression on his face. "I…I'll be okay. If I think I'm going to have a problem, I'll let you know."

Severus nodded his acceptance.

"Now," Severus said. "I have plans for us for the rest of the day, so Draco will shower and dress so that we may go to breakfast." After breakfast, Severus planned to walk the boys down to the Quidditch pitch. Harry hadn't been outside since they had arrived and Severus wanted him out in the Autumn sunshine for a while.

With a huge smile, Draco ran to do his bidding.

~HPSSHPSS~

Draco walked next to Harry on the way to the Great Hall, with Severus following a few paces behind, watching Harry walk. The limp was less noticeable, Severus was glad to see. In a few months, or maybe even less, Poppy would be able to re-set the bones to their proper position. Harry was moving slowly with his fingers trailing along the stone wall, but otherwise he was walking on his own. Harry had insisted on trying it alone, and it was a major step towards independence. Severus noted that Harry seemed to be using the cracks and joints in the stone walls as a sort of marker for where he was.

When Harry came to a particular crack, followed by a low-hanging portrait just before the stairs began, he slowed his steps, pushing each foot out in front of him as he shuffled forward until it hit the first step. Then he slowly began climbing. Draco look of worry told Severus that he wanted to take Harry's arm to help, but instead put his hands behind his back, his fists clenched together.

The other students were flowing past them, hurrying to the Hall. Several of them sneered at Draco, but no one said anything with Severus right there. Severus noted with interest that two of the first year girls, Millicent Bullstrode and Daphne Greengrass, looked at the two boys with sympathy as they passed them by. Severus thought that maybe a friendly relationship could be fostered between the four children if they were careful. He didn't want the girls to wind up in the same position as Draco, ostracized and hated.

They were in the middle of climbing the last set of stairs, nearly to the Great Hall, when Severus heard a familiar stutter behind him. He stifled a sigh and turned to see Quirrell in his ridiculous turban walking towards them.

"S-S-Sev-er-er-us," Quirrell stammered as he started up the stairs, his hands wringing together. "I…I w…w…wanted… t…to a…a…ask" Whatever else he was going to say was instantly forgotten as Harry suddenly clutched his head with a sharp cry, stumbling on the next step. Draco lurched forward, trying to stop his fall. His fingertips brushed Harry's robes, but he could not grab hold. Harry wavered for a moment, then fell, tumbling down to the bottom of the stairs. Draco ran to Harry's side, his face a mask of horror as Harry curled up in a ball at the bottom of the stairs, his hands on his forehead, fingernails digging into his skin. Severus followed half a step behind.

"Ha…Evan!" Draco cried. "Stop! Stop!" He pulled at Harry's hands trying to stop him from hurting himself further. Severus pushed Draco out of the way and lifted Harry into his arms. He ran for the Hospital Wing, Harry cradled against his chest, and Draco racing behind him, leaving Quirrell standing on the steps leading to the Great Hall.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2758