Damaged by AllisonMadness
Summary: Harry is severely injured and Snape is in for a life changing event when he comes to retrieve Harry at the beginning of his first year at Hogwarts. This is a Snape adopts Harry story.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, McGonagall, Neville, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Physical Impairment, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: No Word count: 75345 Read: 146317 Published: 11 Feb 2012 Updated: 14 Feb 2015
Chapter 13 by AllisonMadness

"I'm fine!"

Harry was sitting on the edge of one of the beds in the Infirmary, his fists clenched in his lap, trying to escape from the firm hand that Severus had on his shoulder.

"Stop fidgeting," Poppy exclaimed to Harry with exasperation. "You're interfering with the diagnostic spell."

Severus squatted down in front of Harry to repeat what Poppy had said. Harry settled, but still wore a mutinous expression. "I'm fine," he muttered.

Poppy waved her wand over Harry, murmuring the incantation again. She watched for a moment as the lines of the spell and its conclusions formed in the air, and then began transcribing the results to a parchment hovering next to her.

"You are not fine, young man," Severus said vehemently. "You fell down the stairs while trying to claw the skin off your forehead."

Harry huffed and crossed his arms, fists still clenched. "I'm fine," he insisted again, albeit with less conviction. "You don't need to…"

"What," Severus demanded, sitting down next to Harry now that Poppy had finished her exam. He captured one of Harry's hands, and gently pried the fingers open. "What don't I need to do? Care about you? Look after you?"

Harry flushed. "I…" he stopped, pressing his lips together and turning his head away.

"I know you're accustomed to taking care of yourself, Evan," Severus said, stroking his hand down Harry's back. "But it's different now. Madam Pomfrey and I are here to look after you, to make sure you're taken care of."

"But…"

"No buts." Severus stood when Poppy indicated that she wanted to talk to him, but then leaned down next to Harry's face in order to finish the sentence. "I will look after you. You are not going to be sent away. We are a family." He lifted Harry's chin. "I will continue to tell you that until you believe me."

Harry nodded, scrubbing his eyes with the back of his hand.

Draco sat next to Harry as Severus and Poppy moved away from the bed.

"I'll take care of you, too," Severus heard Draco say.

"But who's going to take care of you, if everyone is looking out for me?" Harry asked Draco.

"You will," Draco replied. "We'll take care of each other now."

Severus was smiling as he turned his full attention to Poppy.

"He seems fine now, Severus," Poppy said, handing him the parchment. "I've given him a pain potion and something for the bruising and the wounds he caused on his forehead, but there's nothing new wrong with him."

"Was it a seizure?" he asked her worriedly.

"No," she replied, looking at the results on the parchment again. "I can't tell what happened or why. He has no lingering after effects, as he would have had with a seizure. The pain is completely gone." She looked baffled. "The self-inflicted injuries indicate that the pain may have been located in his scar." She looked troubled as she said this. She didn't need to elaborate on which scar; there was only one that really mattered.

Severus closed his eyes, his forehead tightening. "He is gone," he said without conviction. "The Dark Lord is gone."

"Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?" Poppy asked softly.

With a grimace, he unbuttoned his cuff and pulled up the left sleeve of his shirt. "It's darker," he whispered, his voice like broken glass. He turned his head away so that he didn't have to look at his forearm. He did not want to see it, not now, not ever again. It was bad enough having to catch glimpses of it in the shower every morning. "Not by much, but it's definitely more visible."

Poppy gently grasped his wrist and turned his arm towards the morning light coming in through the window as she looked at the Dark Mark marring his skin. The last time he had showed it to her, perhaps two years ago, it had been only a shadow on his skin, hardly noticeable. Now it was slightly more visible. "I can tell," she said, tracing the lines gently with her fingers. Severus flinched, and she stopped moving, then removed her hands, dropping them to her sides. She looked at Severus with worried eyes. "Does Albus know?"

"No." Severus shook his head. Fear was beginning to form in the back of his mind. "I don't know what to do. I'm not able to prove that the Dark Lord is trying to return. I can't even fathom how it would be possible. I just know that it is. However, I cannot just go to Albus and proclaim that he's coming back without some kind of proof." He held his arm in front of him. "This is not enough proof." He flicked his eyes over to where Harry and Draco were sitting and hissed, "Not to mention that if I even whispered that it might be possible, he'd have those two taken away from me so fast I wouldn't know if I was coming or going."

"Especially if he thought that there was some connection with You-Know-Who through Harry's scar," Poppy said softly, rubbing the side of her neck. "You're giving me a headache," she laughed, and Severus smiled slightly.

"I have connections with the man who makes the headache potions," he said, leaning towards her with a confidential air.

Poppy looked surprised for a moment. Severus never teased and he thought that maybe she wouldn't play along. Then she got a sly look on her face.

"Do you think you could talk to him about getting some for me?"

"Oh, I don't know about that," Severus said, tilting his nose up with a superior air, as he rolled his sleeve back down and buttoned the cuff. "He really only does those things for certain people."

Poppy laughed, swatting him on the arm. "Take your boys to breakfast, Severus," she said. "But put off any excursions until tomorrow; Evan should rest today."

"Evan isn't going to like that." Severus frowned, ignoring the clench around his heart when she said "your boys". "He was looking forward to going outside."

Poppy nodded. "I know how hard it is to keep young boys down. Just use your best judgment on the matter. And Severus?" she asked as he turned to get Harry and Draco. He turned back with a questioning expression.

"Do try to stay away from the infirmary for a few days."

~HPSSHPSS~

Harry could feel the sun, warm on his skin, as he lay on the grass next to Draco.

"I'm sorry we couldn't go to the Quidditch Pitch today, but this is good," Draco told him.

"I'm just glad that I got to go outside," Harry agreed. "I was tired of being inside all the time. At the Dursleys', I spent most of the time during the day outside."

"What did you do at the Dursleys'?" Draco shifted a bit next to him until their shoulders bumped.

"Stayed out of the way, mostly," Harry said sadly, then sighed. "I don't want to talk about my relatives. Tell me what you see."

Draco described the Black Lake, the trees, the stone benches scattered around in casual circles.

"Uncle Sev is sitting on the bench nearest us on your left," Draco said. "He's reading a potions book."

"Do you do potions?"

"I'm learning how to," Draco said, and Harry felt Draco shift restlessly next to him. "I was never allowed to learn potions at home. Father didn't think they were necessary."

"Why not?" Harry asked, bending his knees and putting his feet flat on the ground. He didn't understand why something that Uncle Sev taught, and was obviously considered essential for students to learn, was somehow not necessary.

"Uncle Sev was there at Malfoy Manor all the time. Father relied on him to make all the potions that he needed," Draco answered. "Father wanted me to learn certain spells and other things that he considered important." Draco's voice dropped a bit and Harry scooted closer to hear him. "He wanted me to learn how to hurt people."

Harry could feel Draco trembling next to him and moved to take his hand. "Did you…did you…?" Harry asked, not wanting to actually say the words aloud.

"No," Draco admitted roughly. "Father brought home a crup puppy at the beginning of summer. He gave it to me for my birthday. We had it for a few weeks and I was beginning to become attached to it. One day Father just walked into my bedroom, took the puppy and told me that I had to torture it with the Cruciatus and then kill it. It was supposed to be a learning experience and a step closer to being an adult. I…I…couldn't do it, and then I started to…um…sort of cry and admitted to Father that I didn't want to hurt it. That's when Father beat me so badly." Draco swallowed and then said, his voice shaking, "I was a disappointment."

~HPSSHPSS~

Monday afternoon, Severus walked Harry up to Flitwick's classroom. Both Flitwick and Severus had a free period from two until four and Flitwick wanted to begin Harry's lessons with an assessment of his magic levels and his control.

The trip down the corridor was taking longer than it normally would as Harry refused to let anyone hold his hand anymore, and so Severus had settled for Harry holding his arm. Harry was really too short for this to work effectively and his hand kept slipping, but he seemed happier with the compromise so Severus wasn't going to complain.

The idea of the moving staircases fascinated Harry. As they stood at the bottom of the one that led to their destination, Severus knelt down to speak to Harry.

"You must not ever try to use these stairs by yourself," Severus warned, his hand firmly placed on Harry's shoulders to emphasize the seriousness of what he was telling him. "Even if you think you'll be fine, the stairways can and will move without warning and since you can't see where they're going, there is every chance that you would wind up lost and possibly hurt."

Harry nodded. "I understand, sir," he said, then asked, "Why do these stairs move and not the ones going down to the dungeons?"

Severus smiled. "I have no idea, Evan, but Salazar Slytherin was the one to decide how the dungeons and their passageways would be built. Since that was over a thousand years ago, and he left no writings regarding the subject—at least none that have ever been found—there is no way to answer that question absolutely."

Severus stood and allowed Harry to grasp his arm again as the stairs settled to a stop in front of them. He carefully led Harry up, directing him to keep a firm hand on the railing.

When they reached the top, Flitwick was waiting for them, fairly vibrating with excitement.

"Well, young man," Flitwick said, stepping close and shaking Harry's hand with enthusiasm. "I am looking forward to working with you."

Harry looked confused at the high squeaky sound of Flitwick's voice coming from slightly below him. "Are you a child?" he asked.

Flitwick laughed. "No, no, I'm one-quarter Goblin and never grew to be tall."

"Oh," Harry blushed. "I'm sorry if I offended you."

"Absolutely not, young man," he said happily. "You couldn't possibly offend me."

He led Harry into the classroom with a firm grip on his arm. Severus followed behind.

"Now, I want to assess your magic," Flitwick said, settling in front of Harry. Severus sat next to him to repeat anything Harry might not hear or understand.

An hour later, after casting Wingardium Leviosa at least two dozen times, along with attempting several other minor charms, Harry was leaning against Severus, dozing.

A few of the desks showed differing levels of gouges and other damage and the stool that Flitwick normally stood on was in shambles. Flitwick stood on one of the students' chairs, contemplating Harry with satisfaction. "His power levels are very good," he told Severus. "They are quite a bit higher than I would expect from an eleven-year-old, definitely at the top of what would be considered normal range."

"What about his ability to control his magic?" Severus asked, although he had a good idea of the answer.

"He has more control than I would expect from someone who has no vision and little hearing." Flitwick inclined his head towards Severus. "You will need to help him with that. He trusts you more than he does any other adult and will work best with you."

"If you will provide an outline," Severus said. "I will begin working with him this week."

"Good," Flitwick replied. "I will see him on Monday afternoons to expand on the control and to teach him some of the basic Charms."

Severus moved slightly, putting out a hand to wake Harry, but Flitwick stopped him.

"Wait a moment, Severus," Flitwick said. "I want to ask if you or Poppy have started looking into correcting his hearing."

"Poppy is doing some research to assess the level of the damage done, but we haven't begun seriously looking for a cure yet," Severus said. "Why are you asking?"

"I know a charm." Flitwick moved to stand in front of Severus. "It's rather obscure because there aren't many hard-of-hearing wizards, but it may help Harry while you're looking for a cure." Flitwick smiled. "It will amplify what hearing he has."

Severus drew in a sharp breath. "I have never heard of such a thing."

"I'm not surprised," Flitwick replied. "It's probable that only a Charms master would know of it. As I said, it's rather obscure."

"Are there any side-effects or drawbacks?" Severus asked with interest.

"Only that the charm must be recast every few days, and if you try to amplify the sound too much it will become distorted and probably cause him headaches."

"It won't cause any permanent damage?" Severus looked at Harry, his cheek against the wool of Severus's robes.

"Not beyond what is already there."

"Can you cast it now?"

Flitwick nodded his wand ready. "I will do it at a low level to begin with, and then we can increase the power of it slightly each time it's redone until we've reached his capacity."

"Well, then," Severus said with satisfaction. "Let me wake him. I don't want to do anything without him knowing about it."

~HPSSHPSS~

Harry felt like he was going to bounce off the floor with happiness. It was possible that he would float right up to the ceiling, or even out the window and over the castle, he felt so filled with glee. He could hear! True, it was still a bit garbled at times, but no one would have to be right up next to him and yell. He wanted to dance, he wanted to race around the room. He settled for hugging Uncle Sev and Professor Flitwick and once they had left Professor Flitwick's classroom, he insisted that Uncle Sev talk to him all the way back to their rooms.

Uncle Sev complied by talking about potions and potion ingredients in what Harry thought might be his "Professor" voice. But it didn't matter, not a bit.

It didn't matter that he couldn't understand half of what Uncle Sev said and the other half made no sense. Who would use frog livers and chopped up bugs in something that was going to be drunk? Nevertheless, Harry heard what Uncle Sev said and was able to make out a good portion of the words. He bounced a few steps down the corridor, just to hear his shoes hitting the stone floor, and laughed with sheer delight.

He heard a faint bell ringing and then suddenly the corridor was flooded with sound! Other people talking, shouting, footsteps running by, echoing off the walls, Harry listened to it all in amazement.

"I can hear, Professor!" Harry yelled, squeezing Uncle Sev's arm tightly.

"I know Evan," Uncle Sev said and it sounded to Harry like his words were laughing. "You've told me a dozen times at least, not to mention I was there when Professor Flitwick cast the charm."

"Yes, yes," Harry exclaimed. "But I can hear!"

~HPSSHPSS~

Draco looked up from where he was sitting on the sofa while working on his Transfiguration homework, as the door to Uncle Sev's sitting room burst open and Harry ran inside as fast as his limp would allow.

"Draco, Draco, I can hear!" Harry ran full tilt into the arm of the sofa and tumbled to the floor, laughing.

"What?" Draco cried out, throwing his homework aside and scrambling off the sofa to help Harry up. Uncle Sev closed the door and leaned against it, smiling.

"I can hear!" Harry shouted, unknowingly close to Draco's face. "Professor Flitwick fixed me!"

Draco's mouth fell open in shock. "He fixed your hearing?"

Severus sat on the sofa. "That's not exactly true," he corrected calmly. "It's a temporary charm that will have to be recast every few days. His hearing is not restored; the charm is simply amplifying what hearing he already has."

Harry nodded happily. "I still have trouble understanding what's being said sometimes, but…but I can hear you!"

Draco grabbed Harry up in a hug and the two boys bounced enthusiastically around the floor, laughing hysterically until they collapsed in front of the fireplace.

Draco looked over at Harry, to see tears running down his face. "Are you okay?" he asked with sudden worry, putting a hand on Harry's arm.

Harry nodded, and then moved over to rest his head on Draco's shoulder. "I can hear you."

~HPSSHPSS~

"I shouldn't have done that." Harry grimaced as Severus worked the salve into his thigh and hip.

"No," Severus agreed. "You shouldn't have. But you were celebrating for a very good reason and you haven't done more than pull a few muscles. You will be back to normal in a day or two."

Harry sighed sleepily. "How long before you can fix my leg? I'm tired of limping everywhere."

Severus stroked a hand through Harry's hair. "Getting impatient now, aren't you?"

Draco snorted in amusement. "Wouldn't you, Uncle Sev?" he asked from his bed, settling the covers around him.

"I suppose so," Severus admitted. "Don't go to sleep yet, Harry, you need to put on your pyjamas."

"Don't wanna get up," Harry's muffled voice came from where he had buried his face in the pillow.

"If you're too tired, I imagine that I could just dress you myself," Severus mused. Harry immediately scrambled out of the bed, reaching for the pyjamas that were waiting for him at the end of the bed.

"You're a mean, mean man Uncle Sev," Draco laughed.

"Are you only just now figuring that out?" Severus asked, looking at Draco as Harry hastily pulled on his pyjama bottoms and top before climbing back into bed.

"No," Draco answered. "I've known it all along. I just thought that Harry should also know."

Harry laughed, still amazed that he could hear most of the conversation. "Should I be afraid?" he asked, not admitting that he was afraid most of the time.

"Nah," Draco said. "He's actually not that bad, all things considered."

Severus turned off the lights. "Sleep now."

"Night, Uncle Sev," Harry said.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2758