Comforts from the Unexpected by Firestar
Summary: The story begins with a fire at the Dursleys & Harry is locked in his cupboard. Rescued by a spiritual presence, he is sent to stay with a certain Potions Master, bringing in a new range of adventures. Suicide attempts, abuse
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 43 Completed: No Word count: 83206 Read: 173538 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 31 Jan 2006
Chapter 10 by Firestar

I opened my eyes to see the sunlight streaming into the room! Ah, back to school. Getting dressed, I saw that Crabbe, Goyle, and Sebastien were still asleep. Guess I better wake them if they don't want to be late.

Walking over to Sebastien, I called out, "Hey, Sebastien, wake up!"

There was no answer.

After calling for five minutes, I had had enough. Reaching over, I lifted a hand to shake his shoulder.

The second my hand touched his shoulder, a white light erupted from the boy's body. I found myself being thrown backwards, into the wall. When I looked up, Sebastien was already awake.

"What happened?" he asked, looking at me.

"I... well, I was about to wake you, and the second I touched you, I was blasted back here," I replied.

He looked at me, raising an eyebrow. "Sorry about that, Draco," he said finally. "But you shouldn't try to touch me when I'm sleeping. You'll hurt yourself."

I looked down at myself and saw that I was bleeding where I had bruised my arm.

"Here." I looked up and saw Sebastien approaching me. With a flick of his wand, the cut healed.

"Thanks." I let a small smile grace my lips. "Come on, lets get to breakfast. We're late."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After breakfast, Harry headed to Potions, walking with Eliza.

Walking into the classroom, he settled down in a seat at the front of the class. Malfoy was sitting in the row behind him, Ron and Seamus closely beside him.

At promptly nine, Sever--Professor Snape swept into the classroom. "Get out your ingrediants," he barked. With a flick of his wand, the board filled with the familiar, but nearly illegible scrawls. Harry doubted anyone else could read it. The only reason he could was because he had spent the summer trying to figure out the Potions Master's handwriting.

They were making the Shrinking Potion, used to shrink items when a wand was not avaliable. Halfway during the class, Ron leaned over and whispered, "Sebastien, does it say put the wormwood first, or the willowbark? I can't read his writing!"

"Willowbark," Harry replied.

"Thanks!" Ron whispered.

"Mr. Weasley!" Snape snapped. "10 points from Gryffindor for talking."

Ron quickly turned away and continued working.

It was almost at the end of the lesson when it happened. Harry was putting in his last ingrediant when he turned and saw Pansy Parkinson launch scarab shells at Ron's potion. Mix that particular shell with wormwood, and it was highly explosive.

Even if he was in Slytherin, he would not allow them to be unfair. Without thinking, he cast an invisible shield in front of Ron. The scarab shells hit the shield and was absorbed in, leaving the Slytherins gaping.

"What was that?" he heard Draco whisper behind him. "It just disappeared into thin air!"

Harry turned and saw Pansy experimentally throwing knotgrass into the air. He had had enough. He would cover up one incident for the Slytherins, but not if they were going to do such a thing. Silently, he used his elemental magic and called the wind to him. Slowly, he shaped the wind. When the knotgrass hit the air current, he forced the wind to blow the other way. Slowly, the knotgrass changed directions and lauched itself back at where it came from, which meant Pansy's potion.

The ingrediant hit the potion and immediately exploded. Harry automatically brought a shield down over the people near him, which happened to be himself, Eliza, Ron, Seamus, and Draco. The rest of the class was drenched in the potion from head to toe.

"SILENCE!" Snape growled as he turned. "What happened?" Harry could see that the Potions Master noticed the fact that Harry and the others were the only ones who weren't wet.

"Weasley!" he said. "Was it you who sabotaged Pansy's potion?"

"No, sir," Ron began, but was abruptly cut off by Snape's "20 points from Gryffindor and detention tonight."

"Sir," Harry spoke up. "I saw what happened. A certain student, not Ron, threw knotgrass into the air. The ingrediant, for some reason, didn't reach the aimed cauldron. Instead, it backfired and hit the cauldron of the person who threw it."

"I see," Snape growled. "Fine, Mr. Weasley, the detension is canceled." Turning back, he said, "Hurry up! I expect this classroom to be cleaned in the next five minutes or you will all recieve detension until you graduate!"

Judging by the Potions Master's tone, he wasn't kidding. Everyone quickly scrambled around began to clean. Soon, the room was once again back to normal.

The bell rang for the end of class. The next class was defense. As Harry was walking, he heard Ron say, "Thanks, Sebastien. I can't believe Snape actually listened to you."

"No problem, Ron." Harry replied. He chose to ignore the second part.

Stepping into the DADA classroom, Harry immediately saw that the room was set up for dueling.

"This year," Professor Lupin said. "We will be focusing on self- defense with dueling and etc. Today, we will be starting with dueling. For the first lesson, I just want to see how well you do and what level you are at, which is why I am going to ask pairs to come up and duel. The person who wins will duel with the next person. Understand?"

At the nod of heads, Remus called out, "Neville Longbottom and Seamus Finnigan!"

Seamus easily won. He also won the duel with Pansy and Dean, but he lost to Ron.

Ron won with Crabbe and Goyle, but lost to Hermione.

"Next, Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger."

The blond stood across from the girl, wand trained. It was a close duel, but Draco won in the end.

There was only a few people remaining now. "Sebastien Frostpine and Draco Malfoy!" Lupin called otu.

Walking up, Harry trained his wand. He would win, he was sure, but he would not use his full power. Otherwise, it would attract others' attention.

Sure enough, after five minutes, Harry won.

"Eliza Rosethorn and Sebastien Frostpine!"

When Eliza threw a stunning spell at him, he dodged. He was stunned to see that there was a scorch mark on the floor where the spell had hit. Interesting... there was a lot of power put behind the single spell.

Harry decided to move up a notch. Now, he too focused a bit more power behind his spells.

The duel stretched on, longer and longer. Five, ten, fifteen minutes... The movements of the duelers became faster, stronger, more agile. Harry was almost sure that Eliza was using wandless magic sometimes, for though she only called out one spell, two shot at him. But it couldn't be... wandless magic was Salazar's speciality.

After five more minutes, he was sure the girl was using wandless magic. He too decided to use his powers. He was determined not to lose.

"Inpedimenta!" He called out, aiming his wand at the girl's feet. The girl leaped up into the air with surprising ease. Just what he wanted. "Petrificus Totalus!" He cried, aiming his wand up. "Stupefy!"

He was positive, for a second, that the spells would hit. But Eliza twisted her body in such a position that all of the spells missed.

He called the wind to him while leaping to avoid another spell. He controlled the wind, using it to press the girl into the wall.

Instead, Eliza shot him a surprised look. Then, she grinned, and before he knew what was happening, a fire column shot up in front of her, blocking the wind.

Harry was shocked. She was a fire elemental! But elementals only existed in the spiritual world, unless bonded... which meant...

Before he had time to comprehend what was going on, the girl shot a binding spell at him. Without thinking, he jumped into the air, riding the wind. He barely heard the gasps of classmates below him; he was only focused on Eliza. Slowly, he changed the wind into drops of ice. Then, he aimed them at the girl.

It worked. The ice drops pierced through the fire, hitting the girl. Slowly, the fire column died down. Before the Eliza knew what was happening, he threw a petrifying spell.

The girl was too busy concentrating on the fire. She never noticed his spell. It connected with her body and she finally fell, defeated.

Harry released her from the spell, bowing, as she did the same. They shook hands, both smiling.

"Impressive!" Professor Lupin finally said. Harry realized that he had forgotten about the rest of the class. Judging by the embarassed expression on Eliza's face, she had too.

"Now, Sebastien, you are the winner. We have fifteen minutes left of class. Would you care to duel with me?"

At this, Harry gave the DADA professor a stunned look. He was about to refuse but Eliza gave him an encouraging smile. 'Do it,' she clearly said.

"I accept," he replied, smiling at Remus.

Remus immediately started throwing complicated spells at him. Harry easily dodged them all. He was determined not to use his elemental magic this time. It would be unfair for his professor.

Finally, after ten minutes, Harry managed to disarm his professor.

"Bravo!" Professor Lupin clapped. "Sebastien and Eliza, you two are truly amazing. Who taught you dueling in North America?"

Eliza started to say something about private lessons with her godparents. Harry was stuck. What should he say?

"I... Professor Dumbledore asked a few staff members to teach me," he mumbled finally.

Thankfully, the bell rang right then. Harry hurriedly packed up and walked out of the class.

The next block was a study period. He had to talk to Eliza, though. Walking over to the girl, he asked, "Can I talk to you?"

"Sure," the girl replied, casting a silencing charm around them.

"Um... about the fire column you cast around yourself..." he began.

"I... I can't tell you until I'm sure." Eliza interrupted. "I... I'm not allowed."

Harry was stuck. What should he say? He had an idea.

//Lady Lyra?// he called out silently.

//Yes, child?//

//Who is she? Does she know about elemental magic?//

//Yes,// came the soft reply. //She knows. She is bonded to Lady Shiara.//

//Thanks, Lady,// he answered. Turning back to Eliza, he said bluntly, "Look, I know about Lady Shiara, okay?"

Eliza gave him a stunned look. "How?" was all she managed.

"I'm bonded too. To Lady Lyra." He replied simply.

"So you know," Eliza finally said. "How? Why?"

"I don't know," Harry answered. "Ask Shiara. Call out to her. She can reply, right?"

Eliza nodded and her eyes unfocused. A few minutes later, she asked, "You... you know the Founders?"

It was Harry's turn to be surprised. "You know them too? So that's how you knew wandless magic, being Salazar's speciality."

"Yes, I knew them. I was taken and trained for three years." The girl was about to say more, but the bell rang at percisely that moment. "Look, we have to go," she replied. "How about this? I'll talk to you after dinner tonight. Meet me in the library."

"Sure," Harry replied, still puzzled over what she had told him. "See you later!" With that, he headed to Charms.

To be continued...
End Notes:
PLEASE REVIEW!!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=276