Comforts from the Unexpected by Firestar
Summary: The story begins with a fire at the Dursleys & Harry is locked in his cupboard. Rescued by a spiritual presence, he is sent to stay with a certain Potions Master, bringing in a new range of adventures. Suicide attempts, abuse
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 43 Completed: No Word count: 83206 Read: 173089 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 31 Jan 2006
Chapter 26 by Firestar

*HARRY'S POV*

I looked into those obsidian black eyes which were staring at me. I lost myself in their depth, seeing the emotions flash across them. I saw the slight hesitance in his movements as Severus approached me. His eyes suddenly took in a determined look, as if he knew exactly what he was doing. I knew right then what the man was planning to do.

I looked pleadingly into dark orbs, silently begging Severus to play along. Not to risk his life for me. I wasná‚’t worth it. I inwardly sighed. Iá‚’ve never comprehend how much Severus meant to me. Until now.

I was startled to realize that the Potions Master was more than just a professor, more than just a teacher at school. I saw him asá‚… a sort of a father-figure. Someone I could speak with when Iá‚’m worried, or concerned. Someone who would reassure and comfort me. I inwardly chuckled. How ironic that Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived should come to see Severus Snape, the most feared professor, as his mentor.

I felt strangely calm as Severus came closer and closer, potion in hand. I gave a small nod. As the man knelt by my side, I opened my mouth without struggle. I did not want to make this any more difficult for Severus than it already was. I would feel the man trembling as he poured the liquid down my throat, holding my chin in his hand. The touch was surprisingly gentle, although Severus was obviously afraid. As he let go of me to stand up, I reached out and gave his shoulder a small squeeze, trying to reassure him. However, Severus looked anything but reassured. In fact, there was a look of panic and self-loathing in those midnight orbs. A second later, I found out why.

Pain shot through me like an arrow as I heard bones cracking. It took me a few seconds to realize it was /me/. I closed my eyes, teeth clamping tightly over my mouth until my bottom lips began to bleed. The pain was awful, even worse than the Cruciatus. As I collapsed in a heap on the floor, I could not hold back my scream. I thought I could here laughter in the background.

As the pain finally faded, I took in a deep breath and opened my eyes. Severus was still in front of me, a haunted look in his eyes. I looked into the usually apathetic orbs as I allowed a smallest of smiles to grace my lips, pleading that Severus would understand. I wasn't angry at the man at all: he had done only what had to be done.

I closed my eyes, waiting, as the next Death Eater stepped up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After fifteen more minutes, the Death Eaters finally stepped back. Voldemort himself walked up.

"See where opposing me has gotten you, Sebastien Frostpine," the man hissed, reptilian eyes flashing with evident glee. "You have potential, I must admit. I give you one more chance. Will you join me?"

If looks could kill, Voldemort would have died three times over. "Never," Harry hissed, his eyes flashing.

Severus watched those boy lying on the ground with a heavy heart. He was startled when once again, those icy blue eyes turned into fiery emerald flames. There was something familiar about those bright green eyes, although what, he couldn't place his finger on.

"Such bravery and courage," the Dark Lord sneered. "Too bad that that should soon go to waste." He raised his hand. "Come in, my loyal Dementors."

Severus watched in horror as the dark, hooded figures entered the room, approaching Sebastien. His mind screamed for him to do something, but his body seemed frozen.

Harry immediately felt the icy coldness as the soul-less figures advanced towards him.

"This is your reward for your loyalty, my Dementors. You may feast upon him all you wish."

Voldemort's voice rang through the air as Harry inwardly shivered. The silhoulettes came ever closer, and a rush of biting numbness overcame him.

He heard the sound of a woman screaming. /"NO! Leave him alone, kill me instead!"/

There was a flash of green light, chilling laughter ringing through the air.

The scene changed. Vernon stood above him, whip in hand. "YOU USELESS FREAK! YOU MURDERER! YOU DESERVE ALL THIS... YOU'RE JUST LIKE YOUR GOOD-FOR- NOTHING PARENTS!" The whip was brought down upon him, again and again, lashing out on his back and torso.

Harry felt rage rush through him as he revived this memory. How DARE Vernon insult his parents. Vernon would never be as Lily and James were. Would he risk his life for his son? Would he sacrifice himself for a boy that had no relation to him at all? No, of course not. The bastard only cared for himself. Harry's hands clenched into fists by his side, nails digging furiously into his palms. He felt dizzy and weak and knew that the Dementors were effecting him. He knew that Voldemort had ordered them to give him the Dementor's Kiss. And there was only one way to stop them.

He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath, trying to calm himself. He realized that by doing this, his identity would finally be revealed. In a way, it was a relief. He just hoped that Draco and Severus would forgive him. He had never meant to hurt them in any way.

Then, looking up apologetically, he raised his hand above his head and yelled.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*RON'S POV*

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

I blinked as I saw the stag leap out of the wand, charging towards the dementors. I gasped. Harry was the only person who's Patronus was a stag. A stag that was a replica of Prongs.

But no, it couldn't be. It couldn't be Harry. Harry was dead. This couldn't be happening.

I watched, transfixed at the scene before me. Time seemed to stop as everyone stood frozen, watching the poweful Patronus charge through the air.

No. This wasn't happening.

But there was no denying it as I watched the deer trot gracefully around the room, disparsing the Dementors.

I had only one question on my mind as I turned to look at Harry, at the boy who had disguised himself as Sebastien.

How?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*HERMIONE'S POV*

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

The marble-white stag burst out of the tip of Sebastien's wand, charging towards the oncoming Dementors. My jaws dropped open as I realized who it was. Prongs.

My body seemed immoblized as I watched what was happening. Finally regaining control of my limbs, I turned and looked up at Sebastien, gazing into icy blue orbs.

But they weren't blue anymore. They were a fiery green, the color of bright emeralds. And only one person I knew had that color eyes.

Harry.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*DRACO'S POV*

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

I watched as a familiar stag erupted into the room, prancing elegantly, seperating the Dementors. Wait a second... stag?

I've seen that Patronus before. I know I have. But when?

I searched through my mind, recollecting. Then, suddenly, I knew. That day in my third year, when I had dressed up as a Dementor in the Quidditch match, hoping to scare Potter--- the exact same Patronus had leapt upon me.

But... that was Potter's Patronus. Potter's stag. Which meant....

/Potter./

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*SEVERUS' POV*

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

From the tip of Sebastien's wand burst a brilliant white stag, shining brightly in the room. The animal seemed to glow with magic and power as it charged around the room, scattering Dementors and Death Eaters alike. I frowned slightly. There was something familiar about the stag. I knew I had seen it before, but I couldn't remember where.

Everyone seemed to freeze as the deer bound elegantly around before finally returning to its master. Sebastien smiled slightly.

"Thank you, Prongs."

I froze as I heard the words come out of the boy's mouth. Prongs.

I sneered in distaste as I realized why the name sounded so familiar. Prongs was James, the boy who had made my days at Hogwarts a living hell. Along with Black.

But how did Sebastien know?

I searched through my memories, trying to figure this out. Prongs was James' Animagus form. Anyone could have figured it out, seeing the way that they weren't very discreet about their transformations. And James' Animagus form was a stag. A stag...

So Sebastien's Patronus was Prongs. My thoughts went back to that day, three years ago when I had found Sirius Black with Potter and Granger, surrounded by Dementors. I remembered the how Potter had screamed the Patronus spell over and over, pointing his wand desperately at the Dementors...

Suddenly, everything slid into place. I gasped as I looked over at Sebastien. Instead of those icy blue eyes, the expressive orbs were a deep emerald green. My hands clenched into fists as I finally realized where I had seen those eyes before.

"Potter."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=276